Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FS for November Story # 94: Forever Like This by Sakabelle  (Read 7603 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
FS for November Story # 94: Forever Like This by Sakabelle
« on: November 01, 2014, 04:01:53 AM »

Hello and Happy November!

This month's author, Steph otherwise known as Saka-Steph because there are so many Steph's on the site lol comes in as # 7 on our all time favorites list!

The story you chose to discuss is Forever Like This which is a One Direction/BSB crossover.

Here is the link: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11000

I hope you take the time and read not only this one but Steph's entire collection of work including my personal favorite, "Climbing Up That Hill" which she just completed. Congrats, Steph!  :)

Don't forget to drop by here and comment on how wonderful Steph is and ask her any questions you may have about anything!

Enjoy & Happy Reading!!

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: FS for November Story # 94: Forever Like This by Sakabelle
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 04:07:44 AM »

I asked Steph to explain what the difference is between writing BSB fiction versus One Direction fics and this is what she had to say.
So I have been thinking about this on and off for the past few days and here's some of the differences I've come up with.

The biggest difference that I find is the time period that both groups were popular and how that impacts each of their characters. If I want to write a story about the crazy days of BSB it has to be set in the late 90s obviously. There was no twitter or that kind of thing where people could instantly know where they were and instantly connect with them. It's weird because sometimes you want to throw in a fan interaction and to do that it has to come from either BSB running into a fan in public or them actively seeking it out on a message board. And even then it's far less instantaneous. I've had a lot of fun playing with twitter in 1D fandom and having them be accessible by fans all the time.

I feel like people might think the setting would be a challenge, having BSB as an American based group and 1D a British based group, but it's not really. Just some extra slang that I have to Google or ask people about. I don't think I've ever set a 1D story in England now that I think about it. They've either been touring and the soccer one was set in Brazil.

Obviously another big difference for me between those two fandoms is that I mainly write 1D slash and I don't write BSB slash. It's nice because while romance is my favourite drama, I get bored easily with creating a female lead. I don't have to do that with slash, I can just keep the story about the five of them (or eliminate ones I don't need in the case of AUs lol). It's sort of why I've given romance the backburner on my BSB stuff, because I got bored with the female leads and Nick drama.

On that note, I find that what's popular is radically different. People expect a lot of sex scenes in 1D fic and I feel like if I wrote a story without one I'd get complaints. But I've written romance stories in BSB fandom that didn't have a single sex scene and everyone was fine with it. There's also much more of a demand and readership for slash in that fandom than there is in BSB fandom.

The bromance is also different. BSB has this really interesting dynamic because their ages are so spread out, so we can have stories about 12 year old Nick and 21 year old Kevin. I feel like it's one of the best things about this fandom and one of the strengths in those stories that are strictly about the five of them. In 1D the boys are all at most two years apart. So their group dynamic is really different than BSB because they're all so close in age.

Also the posting is different! On here people are much more willing to give comments. On AO3 where I post 1D fic, people are less likely to post comments because they have this concept of kudos, which is basically a Facebook "like". It took some adjusting to but I almost look forward to how many kudos my story will get more than a comment. I don't think either way is better, they're just different ways of saying "I liked this!" Though it is nice on here to get the detailed comments on what the readers specifically liked about the chapter.

Those are the biggest differences. Which I now realise was a very long way of saying "everything is different." lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 04:09:47 AM »

A note from Julilly :)
Our eyes first met across a hotel lobby. I was late, but she would come to learn that no matter the occasion, she would always be the one left waiting for my tardy arrival. After the first exchange of hellos it was clear that there were something between us. We were destined to be besties from the start.

Okay, okay, I'll stop being melodramatic. Seriously though, that is how Saka-Steph and I first met. Through a discussion here on the forum we both expressed interest in going to the NKOTBSB show in Toronto back in 2011. We had chatted on the forum before, both having Canadian passports in common, and had been at a few of the same shows separately in the past. We not only went to the same NKOTBSB show together, we also got a hotel room together along with one of my other friends. Essentially we were meeting strangers off the internet for the first time before committing to spend an entire weekend exploring Toronto together. It could have gone very poorly.

Luckily for me, it didn't. It seems like Steph and I have known each other as well as we do now for a lot longer than three years. She is one of my best friends, my vacation companion, frequent confident, and faithful beta reader. I've struggled with writing in the last few years and Steph has always been in my corner rooting for me, pushing me to write. She has been my one exclusive reader to a plethora of stories that have never seen the light of day and I can always rely on her honest review of my works as they develop.

I trust her opinion on my own writing because I have a lot of respect for hers. Though her proclivity for fanfic is leaning in a bit of a different 'direction' these days, I will always enjoy the way Steph portrays real life in such an honest way. Even when writing a romance she will forgo the obvious over-dramatic turn in exchange for moments that seem genuine and believable, which is exactly how I feel romance should be written.

I'm happy to see that everyone else also has an appreciation for Steph's writing. I want to congratulate her on being selected among this collection of AC greats and look forward to a month of Sakabelle.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 08:30:04 AM »

Thanks you guys for voting for me :)

And thanks Julia for the lovely note  :-* I can't believe that NKOTBSB weekend was only three years ago!

I also can't believe that Forever Like This has ended up being featured on AC, because when I was writing that I initially wasn't even going to post it because I thought no one would like it. Clearly some people did, so thanks!!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 12:52:02 PM »

Congrats, Steph!  It was interesting reading about the differences between BSB and 1D fanfic.  I'm surprised that sex scenes and slash are such a big deal in the 1D fandom compared to ours because the fan base is probably overall a lot younger.  Then again, maybe that's why sex is such a big thing - wishful thinking for teenyboppers! LOL  I guess it was the same in our fandom back in the day, when visuals were popular.  Anyway, I've never read or written much in any other fandoms, so it's interesting to hear how they vary.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 03:57:22 PM »

Thanks Julie! Yeah, it's so weird in that fandom. Obviously there are the teenies, but I think they mostly hang out on 1DFF and write boy/girl romance fic. The majority of slash fans and posters on AO3 seem to be in their early twenties. It skewed my perception of their fanbase to the point that I was surprised to see so many young kids at their shows. Apparently I just know how to avoid them on the internet lol

~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 06:56:58 PM »

I admit that I first read this story because of who it was written by more than what it was about, but I put my preconceived ideas aside and genuinely enjoyed it. That being said, this story was (correct me if I'm wrong) the first One Direction fic ever posted on AC. The category didn't even exist then. At any point did you worry what posting this particular story might do for your reputation as a Backstreet writer? (LOL because we have reputations to uphold. Obvs.)
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 04:11:17 PM »

Yay Steph! I enjoyed reading about the differences in writing in each fandom since they're both boyband fandoms. I'm so used to BSB canon that it's odd to think about LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 09:43:16 PM »

I think it was the first 1D fic to be posted on AC! Woohoo! lol

I was sort of nervous to post it given that I'd just started to gain a following on AC as a BSB writer with more of a catalog than just Nick romances. So to post up this story that has a large romance element to it and to have a major part of that story be a link to a fandom that has very little interest over here was kind of nerve-wracking. I thought that people would think it was a joke and stop taking me seriously. But people seemed to like it a lot, and I think it actually ended up being my most reviewed story on the site. So yay!

And thanks Rose. I'm glad you enjoyed reading the differences. It was interesting for me to actually sit down and write them out. I've thought about them before but never really documented any of them.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 03:28:43 AM »

I'm always interested to know what it is about a group that suddenly makes someone say "Ok I think I am going to love them now" when was that moment for you concerning 1D?

I say this to my students all the time. This is why I love music so much because we could all be listening and seeing the same exact thing at the same exact time but yet one person's entire life can change in that one moment based on something they saw or heard. I love hearing from the kids what that is. There answers are usually comical. Lol I'd love to hear an adult's perspective.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 01:33:28 PM »

Hmm interesting question! I found out about them through some people on TDS talking about how one of their songs sounded like I Want It That Way and went to listen to the song for myself to see if it did. I liked it enough and the video was set in London so I enjoyed that as well.

I bought their album a little while later when it came out in Canada because I remembered liking that song and I started randomly writing a story just to try something new. I wanted that story to be authentic so I watched some interviews and over the course of writing that story and watching interviews I just grew to really enjoy their group dynamic. The funny thing is that I was only okay about most of their first album. Thankfully their music got a lot better as they put out more albums lol
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 10:57:42 PM »

Wait I think I read this one, no yes I did read it!! Yay so glad it is being featured.  Loved this story :)
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 10:56:20 PM »

Aw thanks Lore :)
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 01:32:03 AM »

I loved this story Steph, well done :)  I also think you're a very realistic writer and this story was very believable.

I know what you mean about different fandoms wanting different things from fanfics, it's the same with Take That.  When I used to write Take That stories, it was expected that sex would be in them.  I used to find it awkward at times, but kind of got used to it lol.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 03:35:57 AM »

Sorry I haven't been  on here to congratulate properly. Congrats Steph. I loved this story so much, it is amazing.
Pages: [1] 2