Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FS for February Story # 97: Here We Stand by Rose  (Read 12536 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
FS for February Story # 97: Here We Stand by Rose
« on: February 01, 2015, 06:45:40 AM »

Hello!

This month belongs to Rose and the story you all picked to discuss is Here We Stand.

Rose has a gift when it comes to catching the boys personalities and mannerisms in her stories and this one is no different.

Here is the link :http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10965

Join with us and read this month. Feel free to post your questions and comments for Rose.

Thanks and happy reading! :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: FS for February Story # 97: Here We Stand by Rose
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 06:49:28 AM »

Rose will probably gag at this because she hates puns about her name, but here I go anyway.  There's a famous line from Romeo and Juliet that says, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."  Unlike me, Rose has always written under her real name, rather than some pen name or screen name.  She doesn't need one, because her real name is classic and beautiful.  However, she also has a few colorful nicknames that I feel really help to describe Rose as a writer.

1. ZDR

"ZDR" stands for "Zombie Double Rainbow," which is a very appropriate nickname for Rose.  Not only does she enjoy writing about zombies, but she also enjoys writing about... pretty much anything and everything!  Like a rainbow, Rose is a writer of many colors.  She has written across the spectrum of genres, from comedy to drama, including sci-fi, fantasy, horror, and - believe it or not - even ROMANCE!  She has written short stories, novels, series, and, of course, several epic, neverending collaborations!  (We'll get to those in a minute.)

Like a double rainbow, Rose is very prolific.  In addition to being our 4th favorite author, she is also the 4th most prolific author on AC, with 55 stories to her name (and hell, by the time this is posted, she may have added another one!).  And like a ZOMBIE double rainbow, she just keeps going, even when life gets in the way.  She's been posting stories on this site for well over a decade, and although she may have slowed down in the last couple of years, she's showing no signs of stopping.  Slow and steady wins the brains!

2. Collab Whore

I got to know Rose back in 2006, when she joined the writing team for my old collab "Code Blue."  We've been writing together ever since!  Someone coined the name "Collab Whore" for her the following year, when she pitched the idea for our second big collaboration, "00Carter," right here on this forum.  Since then, we've written "Song for the Undead" and are working on new ideas for when that one's done!  We've also collaborated on "1000 Ways to Kill Nick Carter," "Revenge of the Slaughtered," and a short Christmas parody called "Nick's Zombie Nightmare Before Christmas."

Rose is a great ringleader when it comes to collaborations because she is super creative, passionate, and organized.  She comes up with crazy, original ideas and somehow finds a way to make them work.  She inspires people to write well without being too pushy about it.  She is also incredibly open-minded and almost impossible to offend, which makes her a great writing partner because she's not afraid of getting - or giving - constructive criticism. Rose has raised the quality of my writing, and I firmly believe that my best, most creative work has come out of my collaborations with her.

3. CUNT

I actually have to credit Karah for calling Rose (and me) the C-word on more than one occasion.  But before anyone goes and gets offended, we prefer to see it as a term of endearment, rather than an insult.  CUNT is actually an acronym that stands for Crazy Undead Nick-Loving Triple rainbow, which really sums up Rose perfectly.

Crazy - Oh, to live in Rose's brain.  Sometimes we seem to share one (we call it the Siamuse), but trust me, hers is way more creative than mine.  She comes up with the most awesome, "out there" ideas, and I, with my love of logic and realism, find a way to make them work.  I don't consider myself to be particularly creative on my own, so I am constantly impressed by Rose's imagination, especially when it comes to the sci-fi and fantasy stuff she has written.  Read some of her older sci-fi stories, like "Divisions of Reality" or "Born to Be," and you'll see what I mean!

Undead - Well, this one's obvious.  Rose and I were on the zombie bandwagon well before it was a bandwagon!  I have always loved horror, but had never really written one before "Song for the Undead."  Rose brought out the horror writer in me and in herself at the same time.

Nick-Loving - Rose is pretty balanced when it comes to writing about each of the Boys, but it's no secret that she's always loved to write about Nick.  She's shown his softer side in bromances like "Here We Stand" and romances like "Just Another Day," as well as his comedic side in "00Carter" and "Undead," but she's also given him plenty to angst about!  Rose loves to torture Nick, from saddling him with Early-Onset Alzheimer's in "Remember Me This Way" to embarking on an epic quest to kill him 1000 times in the aptly-titled "1000 Ways to Kill Nick Carter."  But hey, we fanfic writers only hurt the ones we love, right??  (Yeah, okay, so Rose is a total sadist.)

Triple Rainbow - Rose is not only one of my favorite fanfic writers, but also a loyal reader and one of my very best friends.  A triple rainbow, all the way!  She is so bright, so vivid, and SO intense!  It was an honor to write this tribute for her, AC's #4 Favorite Author!  Congratulation s, Rose!!!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 06:53:49 AM »

Some other thoughts from your readers :)

Quote from: Carter-Orange on January 03, 2015, 11:20:48 AM
What I love about Rose's stories is that she makes them believable.  Like with Song For The Undead, it may be about a zombie apocalypse but it feels so real, the characters are well written and the story is fantastic.  Same with everything else I've read by Rose.  In fact, I even cried during one story and that doesn't happen very often lol.

Well done Rose, you deserve this Smiley

Quote from: Kyrie on January 09, 2015, 07:41:50 PM
Hi Mare,
I think my favorite of hers is Just Another Day. I like pretty much all her stories (the ones she writes as a single author) because she's great as descriptive writing and first person POV. Hope this helps!

Tracy:

I really loved Remember Me This Way because I went through having a loved one with Alzheimers disease. It kind of gave me some closure. Reading about Nick having it even though it's fiction.

Jennay:

My favorite story from Rose? Surrrre...that's EASY!!! Remember Me This Way! Poor Nick.  The dude just can't catch a break with Rose.  What I liked the most about this story was, it was something that hadn't been done before...early onset Alzheimer’s.  It's such a touching story of him dealing with this disease and everyone around him dealing with it as well.  About him trying to make his mark on the world, so that he is remembered the way HE wants to be remembered. And the ending is probably one of the most touching endings to a story I've ever read.   The whole story was so well written and just so touching.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 10:58:27 AM »

Yay, congratulation s Rose!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 03:05:56 PM »

Awwww Julie! I heart you so much. Seriously. Reading that made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

And LOL yes, I'm a total sadist in my writing. Maybe one day I'll write a story where Nick has nothing to angst about? No torture...pssh h I can't even type that with a straight face! Besides, that'd be boring LOL.

Thanks all of you, for your compliments. I'm really bad at taking them LOL. I always feel like saying thank you gets repetitive. But thank you!

And Julie knows me well cause of course now I'm up to 56 stories  :D.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 03:07:28 PM »

Oh and I'm glad HWS got picked, it fits the bromantic feelings we're all having because of the documentary.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 08:03:51 PM »

How did you come up with the idea for your story?

What made you decide to write in multiple points of view?

Which pov was your favorite to write?

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 02:54:54 AM »

How did you come up with the idea for your story?
This made me LOL but in a good way. Now I just need you wandering around naked  :P (I miss that in reviews). Because you're the one who inspired it, remember? We were talking here in some thread about the Boys pretty much living out a fanfic scenario in London and how someone needed to write it. I mean I shifted it more into a novella about Kevin coming back in general, but the idea came from you.

What made you decide to write in multiple points of view?
I felt that a story like this HAS to be in all five POVs. There was just no other way to tell the story. Kevin coming back was a change that affected all of them. So I wanted to explore their coming back to basics, so to speak.

Which pov was your favorite to write?
Kevin's. I SO loved writing his POV in this story. He bookended the story, essentially and the way he saw the others and his hunger to come back was a neat thing to visit.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 01:49:40 PM »

Oh right, now I remember lol

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 04:47:21 PM »

LOL :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 05:55:54 PM »

After writing this and seeing the documentary, would there be anything that you'd change? Or do you feel like you pretty much hit the nail on the head?

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 06:04:24 AM »

After writing this and seeing the documentary, would there be anything that you'd change? Or do you feel like you pretty much hit the nail on the head?

Honestly? I definitely would've redone Brian's vocal issues. I went with nodules which can be fixed if you do surgery cause at the time we were clueless as to what was wrong with his voice. And I would've had the issue be an even bigger problem in the story. In some ways I did hit the nail on the head though, I think. Like the idea of all them pretending there wasn't a problem till they were five again, which is essentially what was happening. Brian being in denial about it. Nick pushing the issue when Brian didn't wanna talk about it but then after things calmed some, letting Brian know he's here for him no matter what.

I wish I'd touched on Howie being in the background more. But I made up for that in my doco inspired one-shot.

But I love my ending with their first televised performance with all five again. I love just, Kevin in this story LOL.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »

Kevin is pretty awesome. This documentary really made me remember that.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 07:22:35 PM »

Kevin's return has made me realize just how awesome he is.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 08:13:43 PM »

Kevin is way more awesome than I ever realized before he left.  I think he has definitely mellowed over the years, which I appreciate, but I also appreciate the way that he still seems to take charge and help keep them organized.  There will always be Backstreet Time and the need to "call Ground Ctrl 'cause something's wrong," but I think things have run more smoothly since he's been back.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling
Pages: [1] 2