Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The 2015 reading challenge...time to start thinking about it!  (Read 10341 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

It's almost that time again.  ;D

~ Do you find reading in a different genre or main character, other then what you're comfortable with, a challenge?

~ Maybe you find it a challenge to commit to reading a story all the way through?

~ Perhaps your challenge is taking the time to leave thoughtful feedback on every chapter as you read or as an author, responding to that feedback.

If you fall into any or all of those categories, this challenge is for you!  ;)

Just a few things to keep in mind...

You can submit up to five stories for the challenge but once you submit you have to also agree to read!

Readers who do not write can also participate

Stories have to be at least 10 chapters or more to be submitted.

You can submit short stories but you have to group them together and there has to be at least 5.

You can submit the same stories you have in past challenges but obviously, the reader has to be different.

Some new rules starting in 2015:

~ You can only submit a collaboration if all writers are participating in the challenge.  The story can be submitted by both people and it can be read by two different people but I think it's fair. Otherwise, it can be an awkward situation for the person reading it. And you never know if the other person who wrote it would want it to be read for a challenge.

~ When you volunteer to participate in the challenge, before I allow you to submit stories you need to meet the following guidelines:
-Under your username where it says reviews, you must have at least 200 there, unless you are a newer member (less than two years) then I will allow 100.
- I will check to see if you respond to the reviews that you receive, if you don't then this challenge is not for you.

~Before I allow a story, I will actually click on the first chapter and if it's laced with a ton of grammatical errors, I will not allow it as part of the challenge unless it's fixed.

The one thing I am trying to get rid of, is the element of feeling like something is homework or just not reciprocal. When a story is full of errors it becomes more of a chore for the person reading it and could be pretty awkward if that person isn't accustomed to giving concrit. In turn, no one gets anything out of the challenge. Same on the opposite end, if you happen to have someone reading your story who doesn't give concrit and isn't the best at reviewing or responding, it becomes very one sided.

I would prefer only a handful of people who take this seriously than a ton of people who don't.

If you have any questions or suggestions, use this thread.

In May we will start asking for participants and in June the actual challenge will start!

We always have a lot of fun when we do this and new friendships are almost always formed. It's also a great way to get more people to read your stuff, simply by word of mouth!!

I look forward to seeing you all again!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: The 2015 reading challenge...time to start thinking about it!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 03:29:06 AM »

Not one single comment? Are we not interested this year? Usually there's at least a yay! I'm looking forward to this or something.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 12:29:04 PM »

LOL I am :).
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 09:19:45 PM »

yay! I'm looking forward to this or something
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 02:00:47 PM »

Count me in!  Sorry I've had my mind elsewhere recently (mainly wedding stuff), but I'm totally up for this and will be 100% committed :)

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 06:46:32 PM »

Yay! I'm in!

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 04:24:40 AM »

I'm in.  :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 05:24:53 PM »

Excellent. I was worried for a little bit that no one cared anymore. Start making sure you all meet the new guidelines. :)

balance

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 09:36:30 PM »

I'm pledging to participate this year.  So, as reader and not a writer, do I get to submit stories?
Pammy Whammy

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 05:09:57 AM »

Hey Pammy. I'm glad you're going to participate. You shouldn't submit stories unless they were written by you. One of the purposes of this challenge is to give and get feedback, so the writer of the actual story needs to also actively participate. As a reader, I would ask you to read two stories instead of just one. I'm going to make a new thread about it shortly.

:)

balance

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 08:26:36 AM »

Okie dokie!
Pammy Whammy

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 05:08:09 AM »

Where should I send the forum? Do  I post it in here? 

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 05:16:58 AM »

Post it in the other thread where I have the form, just like last year.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 06:24:45 PM »

I feel bad, but I am probably not going to participate again this year.  I am taking two classes this summer that will keep me busy, and I want to devote the free time I do have to trying to get back into actually writing.  Reading might help with that, but I would rather do that on my own terms than out of obligation, and I don't feel like I have anything to offer readers other than the same old stories I've submitted in other years.  If you have trouble finding enough people to make it fun, I might change my mind, but I would rather wait until I have more time and more finished stories to submit.  Thanks for everything you do to organize this, Mare!  I have enjoyed doing it every time I've committed to it.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 02:53:56 PM »

It's okay, I know you're busy. Hopefully people will gradually start filling out their forms. As long as at least four people are doing it, I won't scrap it. I admit, I'm not sure if I'm participating this year yet.
Pages: [1] 2