Fic Talk > Featured Story of the Month

FS for May: Story #100 - Hope is the Last Thing Ever Lost by Mare

<< < (3/8) > >>

mare:
Again I just wanted to thank you all and thank you to everyone who voted me into this countdown. It's nice to know that when I'm having a bad day, all I'll have to do is jump into this thread and read all the beautiful things everyone has said about me. I love you guys! :)

balance:
One is lost
One is broken
One is a prisoner
Two are trapped

This summary grabbed my attention; but I think this story was one of the least reviewed by me.  I know part of the reason for my lack of reviews was because it was posted during the school year; but, I think the other reason is that this story disturbed me.  It disturbed me because I was ambivalent about Tim.  My mind was saying he was the villain and I shouldn't like or care about him.  But my heart was saying "poor man."  He's so lonely and doesn't know how to interact with people.  Throughout the story, I kept going back and forth between these emotions.

It's one of the things I like about your writing, Mare.  Your villains are not cookie-cutter monsters.  You did a great job of humanizing Tim.

Now, here's my question: where did the idea for this story come from?

mare:
Thanks for the question, Pammy & sorry this one disturbed you.

Before the story idea showed up, it was Tim who made an appearance in my dreams as just this random character I was thinking of creating a story about. My brain went with an idea of writing a suspense but through the eys of a highly disturbed man making everyone actually empathize with and even like him & then he was going to kidnap someone which would throw a wrench into the readers conscience.

At around the same time, I was toying with a kidnapping/crash adventure story for the boys because we had all discussed that idea in a thread on AC. I wanted it to be a mystery as to who was who because in my head, I really wasn't sure myself how I wanted to pair everyone up. Of course I wanted Kevin & Nick as a pair but I also wanted to challenge myself so I opted for Howie instead. Anyway...while formulating the fanfic, Tim kind of said "Hey, use me in this!" So there it went lol

I'm glad you and so many others had those types of feelings concerning Tim because that's what I always intended for him. Maybe one day I will sit down and write him his own story.

:)

Rose:
Mare, how do you manage to be this awesome?

mare:
It's not easy, but I do my best! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version