Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child  (Read 1432 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
« on: August 14, 2016, 01:48:27 PM »

I am surprisingly late on this, but I finally read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.  Has anyone else read it yet?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 12:02:14 PM »

Not yet, I do intend to read it though.  Was it good?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 04:10:10 PM »

I still have not read this. I'm not sure if I would enjoy reading a script format, but I do want to read it. I'm also looking forward to Magnificent Beasts when it comes out.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 09:29:55 PM »

It was... weird.  I think a big part of the problem with it for me was that J.K. Rowling did not actually write the script; it was written by a different guy supposedly based on a story he and JKR made up together.  Obviously he had her approval to write this, but I do wonder how much of the plot actually came from her because, like I said, it was weird.  It read more like a piece of Harry Potter fanfic (in script format) than actual Harry Potter canon.  It was a fun and entertaining read, and I definitely enjoyed parts of it, but there were also some major "WTF?" moments.  It was also obvious that it was not JKR's writing, especially when it came to the dialogue.  Certain characters were taken way out of character, to the point where I was going, "Ron would never say that."  I liked the theme and general premise of the story, but the plot took some turns that I can't bring myself to consider as canon.  I think if you go into it with the same attitude as you would a fanfic, you'll enjoy it, but don't take it too seriously.  It is definitely not "an eighth Harry Potter book."  That said, I would still like to see the play if it comes to the States.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 09:37:33 PM »

I'm also looking forward to Fantastic Beasts!  I haven't read too much about it or seen many of the trailers beyond the commercials on TV, so I'm looking forward to being surprised at what it's actually about.  The book it's based on is not actually a story, but a "nonfiction" book about the different creatures in the wizarding world, designed to look like one of Harry's textbooks.  The movie is about the adventures of the author of said book, Newt Scamander.  It was originally going to be a trilogy, but is now apparently going to be five movies.  I'm curious to see what the story will be about that could take five movies to tell...  I know it takes place in the 20s and heard a rumor that Grindelwald might be involved at some point, which sounds cool.  It's kind of neat going into a Harry Potter movie without having any expectations from reading the book (I have read the Fantastic Beasts book, but like I said, it's not really a story).

That said, I'm way more excited to see Emma Watson in the live action Beauty and the Beast in March!!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 09:42:25 PM »

As long as we're talking JK Rowling, I have to say, since she seems interested in adding on to the Harry Potter universe again, I still wish she would put that time and energy into writing a prequel series about the Marauders (James, Sirius, Lupin, and Wormtail). There are lots of fanfic versions out there, but I would love a canon version from JKR herself. There would be so much plot material, from their time at Hogwarts to the first rise and fall of Voldemort and the original Order of the Phoenix. I would rather see that turned into a movie than Fantastic Beasts.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 09:56:23 AM »

I'm looking forward to the Fantastic Beasts movie and Beauty and the Beast. I wish one of those things was coming out around Christmas time. This is the first time in a few years, there's nothing I'm lookng forward to see on Christmas Day!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 10:52:10 AM »

I've still not seen Fantastic Beasts but really want to go.  Also looking forward to Beauty & The Beast as that's my favourite Disney film.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 09:19:15 PM »

I really enjoyed Fantastic Beasts!  It was a fun, cute movie, and I liked the fact that it had a completely different setting from Harry Potter (1920s New York) and mostly all adult characters.  That really set it apart.  I loved the ending and am super excited for where the story seems to be going in the sequels.

I'm going to see Star Wars Rogue One this week and am excited for that too.  I heard it was really good.  Did you like it, Mare?

I can't wait for Beauty and the Beast!  I don't think I've looked forward to a movie so much since the last Harry Potter movie came out.  It's my favorite Disney movie too.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 03:04:20 PM »

Rogue One was good. I'm not sure I'd sit through it again, but I did enjoy it. I think if there were more of the familiar characters, I would have been more into it. I found myself looking at my watch a lot. It felt long but I also had to pee for the last ninety minutes which might have also had so ething to do with that lol I did like how it all came full circle at the end though, very clever. Let us know what you think about it.

I'm really looking forward to Beauty and the Beast as well. I'm bummed it didn't come out for Christmas.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 09:41:05 PM »

I saw Rogue One yesterday.  I liked it, but not as much as I expected to after how good everyone was saying it was.  I loved the ending, but I thought the first half was really slow and kind of boring.  I liked The Force Awakens better.  Oh well, now it's time to start looking forward to Episode VIII.  I wonder what they will do with Leia... I heard Carrie Fisher had finished shooting for Episode VIII, but assuming Leia survives that movie, I wonder what they'll do for Episode IX.  No creepy CGI, I hope.  Without spoiling too much from Rogue One, there is only so much of that I can stand.
~Julie