Welcome > Rules and News

Strange symbols

<< < (2/3) > >>

mare:
Well at least it has a cute name for a very annoying problem lol

Sakabelle:

--- Quote from: julilly on June 21, 2017, 08:56:27 PM ---They just need to update efiction already because it's falling apart.

--- End quote ---

omg this. And looking at their website/support is really no help at all.

RokofAges75:
Thanks for the info!  I wish efiction would update; that sucks!

Sakabelle:
Just wanted to pop in and say I was experiencing this too with the – character and I had to go replace them all with the smaller one -

It also brought to light that maybe I use too many dashes in my writing LOL.

RokofAges75:
Yes - I've noticed that too, as well as with ellipses (...), and I think it's because Microsoft Word does something with the formatting of those.  Like when you make an ellipse, it doesn't leave it as three periods; it formats the dots so they are closer together or something so it's like one punctuation mark instead of three separate ones.  And apparently AC doesn't like that!  The other place I've noticed it in my stories is between sentences, and I bet it has something to do with the fact that I use two spaces instead of one between sentences.  I know you don't have to use two spaces between sentences anymore, but I was taught to type the traditional way, and it's a habit I can't seem to break (plus, I think it's easier on the eyes to have two spaces between sentences).  I'm not sure why that is suddenly causing a problem for AC, but it does.

Ever since I moved my site to Wordpress, I have started copying my chapters from there instead of Word to paste into AC when I go to update because they already have the HTML formatting that way, whereas when I used to copy/paste directly from Word, I would have to add in all the formatting myself to center text or make it bold or italicized, etc.  But those are the chapters that now suddenly have these symbols all over the place, whereas my older stuff does not.  I'm not sure why that would make a difference - I actually thought it would be better to get rid of the weird formatting stuff that Word sometimes does - but yikes, I guess I'll have to go back to my old way of posting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version