Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Writing & Thread (aka The Writing Thread 4)  (Read 425 times)
nicksgal
Supreme Time Waster

Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write

« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2021, 10:55:25 PM »

I hear you.  It is fun to feel like you have the flexibility to write whatever you want without flaking out on your other projects, but it's frustrating when you hop from story to story and nothing sticks.  So if PDemons is calling to you, go with it!

I'm glad you looked over Gobosei and found some places worth editing.  LOL I did the same thing with my two Nick cancer stories, gave the female character a C name.  That was not an intentional choice; I just thought those names fit best.

That was my thought too. I'd been steadily writing some scenes for it while writing PNecklace, so I knew the inspiration was still there. I guess my main thought was, if I'm back to write new things, then I'd rather have a variety of "this is my writing" type stuff to share. And yeah, epic fantasy is totally my wheelhouse (though it would be better if there were different ones and not just the same series if I'm leaning into this). But so are loving parodies, silly jokes, 90s style Boys bonding moments, and a whole plethora of other "dark" things that aren't epic fantasy. Of course I love PBox&Co, my magnum opus, my strongest character attachments, but I also like challenging myself. So now I know I can take a long hiatus, come back, and still write PBox-related stories. What else can I come back and write after so much time away?

Yeah, I think I needed to look at it with a critical eye and not just nostalgia for always being something I'd said I'd go back to. Poor Mariko, I picked her name before Minako, but... yeah. If Gobosei gets the edit it probably needs, it's already changing a lot, so I could stand to change several things about it including character names. LOL! Now that you mention it, you're totally right! Too funny.

I love this idea!  I think the AJ version works better for that scene because then the conversation wouldn't be totally one-sided like it would if Nick were sleeping in the background.  He can still participate, just in a distracted way as he's trying on hats.  I think you'd get more out of the joke that way.  You could have Nick pull a Howie and sleep through something important later in the story.  That said, I think it would be funnier with Howie as the love interest/chosen one because there just aren't that many Howie romances - fewer than AJ, I'm sure.  That, or Howie could be the one everything bad happens to.

Oh man, it gets even better. I spoiled almost nothing.  Big Grin Yeah, I started thinking the same thing. For that particular joke, it would work better if the love triangle was with AJ. But for the subversion joke as a whole, Howie is clearly the better choice (and yeah, definitely fewer Howie romances than AJ romances). Seeing you write it just strengthens that thought, so thanks. Kiss

I have wondered the same thing about their tour rehearsals.  I tried researching it once and wasn't able to find specifics for the Boys either, but it sounds like they would rent some sort of rehearsal space big enough to run through the whole show.  I found an article about Beyonce renting out a stadium in Tampa to rehearse for her tour a week before it started in Miami: https://www.tampabay.com/things-to-do/music/beyonc233-preps-for-her-formation-tour-with-rehearsals-in-tampa/2274355/  There also seem to be places that are specifically rehearsal studios, not actual concert venues.  Here's an article about those that names some specific ones in different cities: https://www.soundonsound.com/music-business/rise-large-scale-rehearsal-studio  I'm assuming these would be more affordable and practical than renting out an entire stadium.

I had an inkling that you, Tracy, or possibly Mare or Rose may have researched this at some point; glad my suspicions were correct. Thank you for those articles! I'll read over them. It's not totally a huge sticking point since it's really just a setting, but gotta love those details, right?

Here, a short gift, lol:

Damn! Nick licked his lips as he fiddled with the microphone stand, accidentally popping the mic out. It flipped and flopped in the air as he fumbled with it, but managed to catch it before it tumbled to the floor. He exhaled forcefully, clutching it tightly as he leaned against the empty stand, before snapping it back into place and leaning on it again. Nice save!

Through the hole under his arm, Howie, Brian, AJ, and Kevin were visible in the line beside him, poised with perfect professionalis m. Or, at least to the point where they weren't haphazardly attempting to destroy equipment. Kevin chugged his water bottle. AJ yawned and cleaned his sunglasses on his shirt, before fiddling with his watch, counting down the seconds, then minutes. Brian shot a free throw with his empty water bottle, clearly mouthing "nothing but net" when it hit the floor. Meanwhile, Howie winked at Nick, and mouthed… something to him.

Nick wrinkled his nose as he cocked his head. "What?"

It should have been a whisper. A regular voice would have been fine. Even his typically loud speaking voice would have been preferable. Unfortunately, when he'd fumbled with the mic, he'd accidentally turned it on. So the loud "what" blared and echoed across the silent [airplane hangar].

~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2021, 11:08:11 PM »

LOL!  I don't think Nick has been killed by a lawn mower yet in 1000 Ways if you wanna add that idea to your list of things to write.

LOL! The next time I'm bored and haven't stabbed Nick in a while, I'll consider this.

LMAO Best scene in the entire movie!  Here it is if anyone else feels compelled to watch it now: https://youtu.be/09sBVx2jQ28?t=386  I do think he was a bit better in Dead 7, so at least he's improving?

Absolutely the best. I did want to watch it now, so thanks, lol. I also enjoy "There's a dead body here!"/"Forget that, man, I'm going back to the good side of the bridge." In general yes, but I was constantly distracted by his "this is what I think a gritty outlaw in a zombie western sounds like" accent, lol.

Same.  I seem to be most productive when I'm writing a scene that has a lot of dialogue and nothing I need to look up.  Those are the times where I can write for long periods of time without getting distracted and churn out 1,000+ words easily.  It's the scenes that are more descriptive or require research that I get the most distracted writing.

Dialogue is good or any action sequence I've planned for. The more I have to think, the slower it goes for sure. Description is fine depending on what it is, I try to keep resources I'd need for that close at hand (like I have a little tab group on my phone with body language based on feelings that I like to reference). Full research, well, you know. But at least I learn fun facts about horses and sand? lol

~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2021, 11:16:49 PM »

I just realized in my catching up, I forgot to ask how everyone's writing was going now and not a few days ago. Oops! So how is everyone's writing going now?

~*Dee*~

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2021, 11:26:47 PM »

I remember. Keep floating ideas. I'm always team sequel if the story warrants it or was always planned in multiple parts.

It's interesting that you've had so many sequel ideas you've wanted to explore. I think it's great to have so many stories worth continuing. Smiley LOL! Don't you love when everyone talks about something and then no one does it. So funny.

It's good that your novel projects have been going well. Don't stop on them to write a short story!

I have always liked the thought of writing sequels, but I used to be a little sequel-happy and then didn't finish most of them, so I told myself no more.  That was before BMS, which is my best exception to the rule.  I think I know myself well enough as a writer now that I would only attempt it if I felt like I had an idea worth writing that I would want to see through to the end, and I would only post it if it was going well.  With MBK, I think the basic premise is good, but it'll come down to whether or not I want to keep writing about this version of Kevin or do something different.

I'm not sure if that's because I've been interacting with y'all more and not in a writing bubble or because being in the fresh new beginning was more exciting than being in the middle or the end. Or that I'd only spent a month or so working on the same project fairly consistently instead of six months. If I don't sleep, I am a wreck, lol!

I think if you're on an extended vacation, it's both okay to have crazy writing days and slumps or spread it out so there's less slumps. Wherever your muse takes you, really.

LOL It's probably both.  Part of the reason I tend to be productive late at night is because there's no one around to talk to, so I don't spend as much time on this forum or Twitter.  But at the same time, the fanfic discussion around here is motivating and helps hold me accountable, especially during the school year when I'm tired and less likely to want to write.  I'm more likely to get on the computer if I think there are forum posts to catch up on and respond to (which is not so easy from my phone), and sometimes just getting on the computer is half the battle.  

Unless I'm on an end-of-story streak, I don't usually have multiple crazy writing days in a row, even in the summer.  I guess my brain needs a break.  I've been trying to read more and watch more movies to fill it with fresh ideas.

Yeah, when fiction ends up mirroring reality like that, it doubly gets me for sure from a fandom perspective. I'm sure the timing of it was quite surreal. I just cry at everything (even that stupid Budweiser commercial where the dog and horse reunite after several years), so it's weird that my writing doesn't make my cry as much. But then, I always trend toward dark over sad, so that might be part of it. Meanwhile, I will put any stupid joke in that pops in my head and laugh the whole time.

I'm the same way with crying about everything!  I was on my period last week too, so I was probably extra-emotional.  I found a great new YouTube channel called The Ambient Score that has nice long mixes of movie scores to use as writing music, and they have one for The Land Before Time.  I had tears in my eyes within the first few seconds of listening to that music!  I cry at commercials too.  The Budweiser ones kill me!  But I'm less likely to cry over my own writing, even when I'm writing something sad.

OMG! How did I miss this?! LMFAO! Howie! He totally deserved that! Also, I watched the whole thing and why are we still letting Nick say "conversate"? Nick... "conversate" is not a word...

I'm dying that Nick can't remember how old he was when they were recording IWITW. Nick, you were not 16. SOMH and QPG were probably right though.

LOL That was IAWLT promo.  Aww, Nick and his made-up big words.  Bless him.  I threw in a line where Kevin makes fun of the way he mispronounced "documentary" in my chapter the other day, and it made me laugh.

They are terrible at remembering dates, timelines, etc.  I guess it all blurs together over the years.
 They need us fans around to fact-check them on this sort of information LOL.

Just remember to find and replace the nicknames too! That's what will get you, lol. Unless they don't have any because it's an AU.

Could be fun to try if you ever get that itch. Smiley

Good advice!!  There probably aren't as many nicknames as I would normally use in a canon fic, but there may be some.  I would definitely reread the thing after using find/replace.  Luckily it's not a long one.

Yeah, if I ever really got the publishing itch, I think that would be a good place to start for the sake of getting my feet wet with the whole process because the initial work of writing a first draft is already done.  And because I already "published" it as a fanfic, it would be less devastating to get those inevitable rejection letters, because at the end of the day, I could just repost it as a fanfic.  It wouldn't feel like years of work wasted.  Though nowadays, there are so many other options besides traditional publishing for OF.  If you're not successful going that route, you can always self-publish.  I'm just kind of at a place in my life where I'm like, "What's the point?"  I don't like to share or talk about my writing with people in real life, and that's not just because it's BSB fanfic.  I don't think I would be any different with OF, so why on earth would I even want it published for the whole world to read?  I'm probably better off sticking to my little niche audience here on the internet.

So much more less wholesome! lol To be honest, it probably wouldn't have happened if I was flexible enough to do the splits, lmao!

LMAO!!

~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #79 on: Today at 12:06:50 AM »

That was my thought too. I'd been steadily writing some scenes for it while writing PNecklace, so I knew the inspiration was still there. I guess my main thought was, if I'm back to write new things, then I'd rather have a variety of "this is my writing" type stuff to share. And yeah, epic fantasy is totally my wheelhouse (though it would be better if there were different ones and not just the same series if I'm leaning into this). But so are loving parodies, silly jokes, 90s style Boys bonding moments, and a whole plethora of other "dark" things that aren't epic fantasy. Of course I love PBox&Co, my magnum opus, my strongest character attachments, but I also like challenging myself. So now I know I can take a long hiatus, come back, and still write PBox-related stories. What else can I come back and write after so much time away?

Yeah, I think I needed to look at it with a critical eye and not just nostalgia for always being something I'd said I'd go back to. Poor Mariko, I picked her name before Minako, but... yeah. If Gobosei gets the edit it probably needs, it's already changing a lot, so I could stand to change several things about it including character names. LOL! Now that you mention it, you're totally right! Too funny.

That's a good point.  And while I know we all write for ourselves first and foremost, you're more likely to attract new readers with something different and unrelated to PBox.  That's the problem with sequels - most people don't want to read a sequel without reading its predecessor(s), and if there's a lot to catch up on, they're probably less likely to do it than just start something brand new.  Especially on a site like AO3 that seems to favor one-shots.  For readers who are used to short stories, seeing all those chapters may be overwhelming.  That said, go with what you want to write most.  If that means finishing your magnum opus first, do it!  Then you'll be more free to focus on other things.  It is nice to know you can come back after so long and finish something!  It's inspiring to the rest of us who have long-unfinished stories too LOL.

Mariko, wow, that is similar!  I can see why your brain is substituting Minako LOL.  I think even if you changed it to another M name that does not end in "-ko," that would help.

Oh man, it gets even better. I spoiled almost nothing.  Big Grin Yeah, I started thinking the same thing. For that particular joke, it would work better if the love triangle was with AJ. But for the subversion joke as a whole, Howie is clearly the better choice (and yeah, definitely fewer Howie romances than AJ romances). Seeing you write it just strengthens that thought, so thanks. Kiss

You're welcome!

I had an inkling that you, Tracy, or possibly Mare or Rose may have researched this at some point; glad my suspicions were correct. Thank you for those articles! I'll read over them. It's not totally a huge sticking point since it's really just a setting, but gotta love those details, right?

Here, a short gift, lol:

Damn! Nick licked his lips as he fiddled with the microphone stand, accidentally popping the mic out. It flipped and flopped in the air as he fumbled with it, but managed to catch it before it tumbled to the floor. He exhaled forcefully, clutching it tightly as he leaned against the empty stand, before snapping it back into place and leaning on it again. Nice save!

Through the hole under his arm, Howie, Brian, AJ, and Kevin were visible in the line beside him, poised with perfect professionalis m. Or, at least to the point where they weren't haphazardly attempting to destroy equipment. Kevin chugged his water bottle. AJ yawned and cleaned his sunglasses on his shirt, before fiddling with his watch, counting down the seconds, then minutes. Brian shot a free throw with his empty water bottle, clearly mouthing "nothing but net" when it hit the floor. Meanwhile, Howie winked at Nick, and mouthed… something to him.

Nick wrinkled his nose as he cocked his head. "What?"

It should have been a whisper. A regular voice would have been fine. Even his typically loud speaking voice would have been preferable. Unfortunately, when he'd fumbled with the mic, he'd accidentally turned it on. So the loud "what" blared and echoed across the silent [airplane hangar].

LOL I love this!

Yeah, I know I looked it up for SAMS because there were scenes that took place during tour rehearsal.  I just kept it fairly vague and called the place a rehearsal venue.

Absolutely the best. I did want to watch it now, so thanks, lol. I also enjoy "There's a dead body here!"/"Forget that, man, I'm going back to the good side of the bridge." In general yes, but I was constantly distracted by his "this is what I think a gritty outlaw in a zombie western sounds like" accent, lol.

LOL So true.  His gritty outlaw voice wasn't nearly as funny as his gangsta voice in Kill Speed.  But Howie's constantly changing accent was!

Description is fine depending on what it is, I try to keep resources I'd need for that close at hand (like I have a little tab group on my phone with body language based on feelings that I like to reference). Full research, well, you know. But at least I learn fun facts about horses and sand? lol

That's a good idea!  Is the body language thing something you can share?  I'm curious to see it.  I feel like I use the same few descriptions for body language over and over again, so maybe there are some I haven't thought to include.

Very true!  I am always up for learning and don't consider it a focus fail if I'm actually researching something I need for the story.  My problem is I easily get sucked down rabbit holes.  Lately it's YouTube.  I've subscribed to several channels that have helpful content for my story, so I'll go to YouTube to look up something or open my writing music playlist and then see something shiny in the recommended videos section and click on something totally unrelated to what I'm supposed to be looking up.  This week it's been Titanic/Kate & Leo videos.  I watched one of those "Guy reacts to watching Titanic for the first time" last week, so now I get a ton of Titanic videos in my recommendation s... and the more I click on them, the more they tend to pop up.

I just realized in my catching up, I forgot to ask how everyone's writing was going now and not a few days ago. Oops! So how is everyone's writing going now?

Mine's been okay.  I've still been writing every day, just not as much as I would like (a.k.a. not enough to make my Nano goal).

~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to: