Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 146135 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
The Writing Thread
« on: December 15, 2020, 08:11:11 PM »

I thought it would be nice to have a new thread to talk about writing in (fanfic or otherwise).  We can use this like the previous question threads, where people post questions to discuss, or just to talk about whatever comes up.

Since I know we have writers here who have come back to AC after long absences or writing slumps and others who aren't really writing fanfic these days, my first question is how has your writing changed over the years?

Personally, I write a lot slower than I used to.  I blame social media.  I get distracted a lot more easily than I used to in the days before Twitter LOL.  On the plus side, I have learned to hang on to chapter for awhile instead of posting them right away, which means I end up revising a lot more than I ever used to.  I'm also able to stick to a regular, weekly updating schedule instead of posting so sporadically.  Genre-wise, I find myself writing more bromantic drama and horror these days and less romance than I used to.  I may never write a het romance again.  It's hard now that all five of the guys are married.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 05:07:46 PM »

I have been trying to get back into writing. I actually had word opened for about twenty minutes, hoping I’d find some words in my brain, but nothing happened. Hopefully if I do that everyday, eventually something will happen.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 09:31:48 PM »

I'm so happy to hear that!!  Keep doing that every day.  Eventually, something will come.  I have done the "force myself to sit down and write SOMETHING every day" routine, and it really does work.  Some days I literally only write one word just to say I've written something, but you never know when that one word will be the spark that ignites an explosion of inspiration.  Getting started is usually the hardest part for me.

~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 10:05:01 PM »

I have been trying to get back into writing. I actually had word opened for about twenty minutes, hoping I’d find some words in my brain, but nothing happened. Hopefully if I do that everyday, eventually something will happen.

Yay, Mare, I'm happy to hear that! I'm sending you lots of good writing vibes!

I'm so happy to hear that!!  Keep doing that every day.  Eventually, something will come.  I have done the "force myself to sit down and write SOMETHING every day" routine, and it really does work.  Some days I literally only write one word just to say I've written something, but you never know when that one word will be the spark that ignites an explosion of inspiration.  Getting started is usually the hardest part for me.

I agree with this completely. Getting started was always what got me. Especially when I tried to plan too hard. Just writing and making myself write every day for Nano was what really got me into it again (other than my little buddy popping up). And not just writing every day, but celebrating any tiny piece of that writing from the big days to the really small days. I'm even celebrating and counting my editing words as words and effort these days (because editing is just as time consuming as writing). Hopefully Julie and I celebrating your effort helps you celebrate your effort.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 10:28:39 PM »

I thought it would be nice to have a new thread to talk about writing in (fanfic or otherwise).  We can use this like the previous question threads, where people post questions to discuss, or just to talk about whatever comes up.

Since I know we have writers here who have come back to AC after long absences or writing slumps and others who aren't really writing fanfic these days, my first question is how has your writing changed over the years?

Personally, I write a lot slower than I used to.  I blame social media.  I get distracted a lot more easily than I used to in the days before Twitter LOL.  On the plus side, I have learned to hang on to chapter for awhile instead of posting them right away, which means I end up revising a lot more than I ever used to.  I'm also able to stick to a regular, weekly updating schedule instead of posting so sporadically.  Genre-wise, I find myself writing more bromantic drama and horror these days and less romance than I used to.  I may never write a het romance again.  It's hard now that all five of the guys are married.

I wanted to respond to this too, but had to be excited for Mare first, haha.

I have some little author chats planned for my updates thread where I am planning on talking about this, but I'm happy to share here as well. I think it's like everyone on the Masked Singer says, "Being on the show brings me back to my love of performing when I was little." There was a long time where I had nothing creative in me at all. Whether that was BSB fanfics or some original stories, one of which has been popping around in my head since 2003! Over the years, I've had tiny bits where I try, but this is the first time something stuck. And then I think committing to writing every day kept it going. I hit one day in the middle of NaNo where I had no ideas on how to do the next chapter other than "there's going to be a Nick/Howie moment." I thought about writing nothing, but I decided to pop into PBox and do some editing instead (since the goal was just to write something, I figured editing counted). And then after editing for an evening, I did come up with what to do for the next chapter and I got an intro and then the rest spilled out over the next two days (though I had to take a major research break for part of it and that was both time consuming and heavy content-wise).

I think my biggest change has been holding on to things too and editing them. I looked back at some Author notes on PBox and was like: "PBox... this 3,000+ words/chapter juggernaut was on a Wednesday/Saturday update schedule every week?! How?!" No wonder I got burned out... My new schedule now is to make sure that anything I'm planning on posting in a week is completely written by the Sunday before I'm planning on posting it, then I don't look at it again until Tuesday and then I edit. So this week, I polished up PBox's ch. 11-20 and realized on Sunday that I hadn't even done a red pen edit on ch. 20 yet, so I had to finish it on Sunday.  Then I looked through the others for a cursory edit and finally looked at it again yesterday. Tracking editing words is the worst because it will literally be the difference between "does" and "did" and I have to move that little "does" into a different document to count it. I have a whole other document that's just a jumble of "I I I he he does can is is is what the way he smiled don't not" etcetera. It's a nightmare, haha. But, I am excited to be able to post consistently for at least 24 weeks in a row! Once a week updating is awesome (though slightly nightmareish right now because of the added PBox editing).

I think I still like my same genres, AUs for life! But I agree with you on the romance thing, Julie. I think it's one thing to write about the Boys, but I've always hated involving their families in my writing because they're... "cursory celebrities" is the phrase I think I'm looking for... Like their wives just married a guy? And their kids just happened to be born? They didn't ask to be in a fanfic. I think I put Leighanne and Baylee in one story, a one-shot Halloween story I never finished, just because I needed some reason for Nick to be trick or treating in the beginning, but I definitely hated doing it. I think a romance for me would depend on the story. I think the only two old ideas/stories I'll ever possibly finish would be the PBox series and maybe Gobosei... But those ones have been floating around in my head for so long that at this point, they're all just characters to me and kind of separated from the Boys in my head (but not enough in story that I could "file off the serial numbers" and try to publish any of it, unfortunately). Any of the newer ideas I've had all fall into the "let's be nostalgic for when you didn't have to mention real life significant others" or "out and about where you could have a plot with only a cursory mention of their families if even necessary." 100% team Bromance.

Also, Julie, remember when you were like "I don't think I could write anything but romance?" Horror is pretty different, haha.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 11:15:09 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 09:30:04 AM »

Thanks guys!

I have it opened right now. I just am completely uninspired. I don't know what I even feel like writing. A story or my memoir? No idea. We shall see what happens. Of course I'm going to end up streaming the Mandalorian instead. lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 06:54:41 PM »

Thanks guys!

I have it opened right now. I just am completely uninspired. I don't know what I even feel like writing. A story or my memoir? No idea. We shall see what happens. Of course I'm going to end up streaming the Mandalorian instead. lol

Yay! I think there's a writing prompt I saw somewhere if you're stuck and finding yourself distracted by a song, tv show, movie, or book to write down words or lines that resonate with you. Worth trying?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 06:57:51 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 06:57:37 PM »

Tracking editing words is the worst because it will literally be the difference between "does" and "did" and I have to move that little "does" into a different document to count it. I have a whole other document that's just a jumble of "I I I he he does can is is is what the way he smiled don't not" etcetera. It's a nightmare, haha.

I was feeling like this made up, but similar jumble wasn't doing this document justice, so here's yesterday's version of the document before I delete them and start over today, ha.

"You don’t sound sure… weird came unfurled and winced us even though he said he doesn’t want to wish for anything can is He frowned. if you sleep right I don’t my companions has I don’t does can we Brian and Kevin are you well thrust a blue glow spilling from his hands, the"

Such a nightmare... Constantly full of red lines. Yes, google docs, I know this doesn't make sense.
~*Dee*~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 06:01:30 PM »

Yay! I think there's a writing prompt I saw somewhere if you're stuck and finding yourself distracted by a song, tv show, movie, or book to write down words or lines that resonate with you. Worth trying?

Maybe? I didn’t even open word today lol

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 06:15:39 PM »

Baby steps! I believe in you!  :)
~*Dee*~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 06:57:27 PM »

Thanks!

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2020, 04:26:24 AM »

YAY!

I'll pop in again to say something with more depth later LOL
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2020, 10:40:02 AM »

Also, Julie, remember when you were like "I don't think I could write anything but romance?" Horror is pretty different, haha.

LOL I don't know if I ever said that because I never thought of myself as a romance writer, really; it was just a subplot in most of my stories.  I've always been all about the drama.  I still write a lot of medical drama, but I have definitely branched out over the years.  The last real romance I wrote was a slash novel, which is another genre I never thought I'd write.

Thanks guys!

I give you permission to watch The Mandalorian.  So good!!!  I was openly weeping over the end of the season finale last night.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2020, 10:58:15 AM »

I haven’t watched that episode yet, but most likely will today. I want a Grogu

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2020, 02:49:22 PM »

LOL I don't know if I ever said that because I never thought of myself as a romance writer, really; it was just a subplot in most of my stories.  I've always been all about the drama.  I still write a lot of medical drama, but I have definitely branched out over the years.  The last real romance I wrote was a slash novel, which is another genre I never thought I'd write.

You're right, I mispoke! I think any time you talked about it, it was less "I write this" and more "I don't think I could write x." I think drama still lends itself to many other genres though, so you can be dramatic anywhere. ;)

I think it's worth it dabble in lots of different things, you never know what will be interesting!
~*Dee*~

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 50