Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 146069 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2021, 08:29:24 PM »

That's a great goal!  I'm happy you've stuck with it all this time.  It's probably my favorite story you've written, along with Figured You Out.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2021, 08:50:38 PM »

Ugh, this is my hourly break to look at something besides a wall of green text. I am determined to finish this edit in the next few days!  Don't mind me, just venting... Carry on all.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2021, 05:09:25 AM »

I don’t break up convos that go off track anymore because there’s really no reason to. If we still had a lot of people coming on and you veered, it would be different, but since that’s no longer the case, it’s fine with me. It’s just nice to see people chatting about fanfic and anything again.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2021, 11:24:33 AM »

I don’t break up convos that go off track anymore because there’s really no reason to. If we still had a lot of people coming on and you veered, it would be different, but since that’s no longer the case, it’s fine with me. It’s just nice to see people chatting about fanfic and anything again.

Sorry if it felt like you were Team Mom wrangling the children and slapping them with large banners back then. Haha. ;)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2021, 11:29:35 AM »

Ugh, this is my hourly break to look at something besides a wall of green text. I am determined to finish this edit in the next few days!  Don't mind me, just venting... Carry on all.

Back to writing questions! Let's turn this vent into a question.

So what do you do if you're feeling motivated to write and/or edit, but your brain is just spent on staring at your computer or red/green walls of edits. Do you keep going because you're feeling inspired? Do you take a short recess then come back? In general when you're inspired to write, do you keep going as long as inspiration strikes or do you set yourself time limits? Has that changed at all since quarantining and stay at home orders have happened (increased or decreased)?

On the reverse, if you're in an "open/stare/close" mood, how long do you stare before you close? Do you leave it on in the background while you do something else or is a permanent close for the day? How many times a day would you open a document?
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2021, 12:42:00 PM »

So I like to poke and see what the guests are doing and I ended up down the rabbit hole that was the "Realistic vs. Entertaining" debate and laughed so hard I cried. I was so sad when I remembered that photobucket closed and I couldn't see Mare and Julie's "My Sexy Humpbacks" mock ups anymore and then that it devolved into a weird fetish conversation and ultimately the April Fool's Challenge that year. I missed this.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2021, 03:46:01 PM »

So I like to poke and see what the guests are doing and I ended up down the rabbit hole that was the "Realistic vs. Entertaining" debate and laughed so hard I cried. I was so sad when I remembered that photobucket closed and I couldn't see Mare and Julie's "My Sexy Humpbacks" mock ups anymore and then that it devolved into a weird fetish conversation and ultimately the April Fool's Challenge that year. I missed this.

LMAO I will need to look up that thread because I don't remember what led up to me making that, but I totally still have it!  I'm a file hoarder and probably have most of the stupid pictures I posted on Photobucket.  You never know when you're going to want to see something again...

~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2021, 04:05:08 PM »

Back to writing questions! Let's turn this vent into a question.

So what do you do if you're feeling motivated to write and/or edit, but your brain is just spent on staring at your computer or red/green walls of edits. Do you keep going because you're feeling inspired? Do you take a short recess then come back? In general when you're inspired to write, do you keep going as long as inspiration strikes or do you set yourself time limits? Has that changed at all since quarantining and stay at home orders have happened (increased or decreased)?

On the reverse, if you're in an "open/stare/close" mood, how long do you stare before you close? Do you leave it on in the background while you do something else or is a permanent close for the day? How many times a day would you open a document?

If I'm really inspired and the words keep coming, I'll keep writing until my eyes cross... and then I'll turn on voice typing so I can close my eyes and dictate to the computer if I have to LOL.  Unless I have to be somewhere, I don't force myself to stop.  But when I hit my wall and start staring at the screen for more than a few minutes without actually typing anything or realize I've spent the last hour refreshing Twitter instead of writing, that's when I know it's time to take a break.  I don't have a set amount of time I'll give it, but I can usually just tell when I'm not going to be productive and continuing to sit at the computer is just wasting my time.  Depending on how late in the day that happens, I may try to come back to it later, but I usually don't have much luck if I was productive earlier in the day.  I call it my little fanfic bubble - when I'm in my bubble, I can focus for hours, but once that bubble bursts, it's hard to blow it back up later.  I used to do my best writing late at night, but the last couple years, I've had better luck writing first thing in the morning, before I get distracted by anything else.  I guess that means I'm getting old LOL.

I tend to leave my current project open all the time.  How many times a day I pull it up depends on what day it is and what else I have going on that day.  On a Saturday like today, where I have nowhere to be, I'll try to work on it multiple times throughout the day.  I already wrote awhile this morning, then took a break to shower and eat and update my site, but I'll be back at it later.  I'm trying to get as much written as I can before I go back to work next Wed and my bubble bursts again LOL.

I have probably spent more time writing this past year than in the previous few because of the pandemic.  It's given me the perfect excuse to stay home and write to my heart's content without guilt.  I'm not being antisocial; I'm being safe! LOL
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2021, 04:20:52 PM »

Okay, I looked up that thread, and WOW, does that not capture the early days of this forum perfectly?!  We started out with a fanfic-related discussion question, and within two pages, we got distracted making fun of some teenybopper fanfic, Refresh, LD, Fergie, and JT.  Then the inevitable 00Carter hijacking began, and that's as far as I got LOL.  Here it is if anyone else wants to read it: http://absolutechaos.net/fictalk/index.php/topic,454.0.html

I wish I could remember what plot point of By My Side inspired the original question because I'm sure there was a personal reason for me starting that thread LOL.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2021, 04:31:12 PM »

I also cringed at us hating on "mature fans" in that thread because most of us are now in that age bracket. Ha! Of course, ol' Cookie Fondler from LD could have died of old age by now, who knows LOL.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2021, 04:37:52 PM »

LMAO I will need to look up that thread because I don't remember what led up to me making that, but I totally still have it!  I'm a file hoarder and probably have most of the stupid pictures I posted on Photobucket.  You never know when you're going to want to see something again...

I'm laughing so hard that I'm sobbing! Mare, please still have the camel!
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2021, 04:46:16 PM »

Okay, I looked up that thread, and WOW, does that not capture the early days of this forum perfectly?!  We started out with a fanfic-related discussion question, and within two pages, we got distracted making fun of some teenybopper fanfic, Refresh, LD, Fergie, and JT.  Then the inevitable 00Carter hijacking began, and that's as far as I got LOL.  Here it is if anyone else wants to read it: http://absolutechaos.net/fictalk/index.php/topic,454.0.html

I wish I could remember what plot point of By My Side inspired the original question because I'm sure there was a personal reason for me starting that thread LOL.

It does, that's exactly what we were all like until the wee hours of the morning! I also ended up down the rabbit hole of the first "who wants to write 00Carter" thread. So funny. I miss being so young. I read the whole thing and then was like, "Okay! Time to focus on your next chapter edit!"

Was it the leg choppage? I think it may have been the leg choppage.

I also cringed at us hating on "mature fans" in that thread because most of us are now in that age bracket. Ha! Of course, ol' Cookie Fondler from LD could have died of old age by now, who knows LOL.

I felt a little bad and really embarrassed rereading that bit, especially once it veered back into "mature" fans and fanfic since I toyed with a sex scene in my interesting tidbits, but that thread kind of hit the nail in the coffin for me once the time for that chapter comes, I think. I can't be both graphically violent and sexually explicit and the actual sex isn't the important part of that bit anyway. Fade to black exists for a reason, you know? And being graphically violent is more fun.

I still stand by my opinion that someone three times a ten-year-old's age shouldn't push them for closer access to a celebrity though.

I think as we're "mature" now, we just need to make sure we're not pretending we're 15 any more. Though life at 15 was way easier!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 04:48:52 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2021, 04:50:54 PM »

I'm laughing so hard that I'm sobbing! Mare, please still have the camel!

I looked at it again, LMAO!

I don't think I can be productive anymore today now and edit a serious AJ chapter. Poor AJ.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2021, 04:54:56 PM »

Here it is if anyone else wants to read it: http://absolutechaos.net/fictalk/index.php/topic,454.0.html

I just creeped on the guests again and most of them are reading this! I'm dying!

Dear guests: I'm sorry I sounded so dumb sometimes.

Also, that thread is a gem even if it's only aged okay. New thread: Top Ten Must Read Nostalgia Posts on the Forum.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2021, 05:06:49 PM »

It does, that's exactly what we were all like until the wee hours of the morning! I also ended up down the rabbit hole of the first "who wants to write 00Carter" thread. So funny. I miss being so young. I read the whole thing and then was like, "Okay! Time to focus on your next chapter edit!"

Was it the leg choppage? I think it may have been the leg choppage.

I felt a little bad and really embarrassed rereading that bit, especially once it veered back into "mature" fans and fanfic since I toyed with a sex scene in my interesting tidbits, but that thread kind of hit the nail in the coffin for me once the time for that chapter comes, I think. I can't be both graphically violent and sexually explicit and the actual sex isn't the important part of that bit anyway. Fade to black exists for a reason, you know? And being graphically violent is more fun.

I still stand by my opinion that someone three times a ten-year-old's age shouldn't push them for closer access to a celebrity though.

I think as we're "mature" now, we just need to make sure we're not pretending we're 15 any more. Though life at 15 was way easier!

It wasn't the leg choppage because I did that in 2003.  I looked back to see what chapters I was posting around that time and still can't pinpoint it, but I'm guessing it had something to do with Nick & Claire relationship drama, the car accident I was planning for the end, or possibly the sequel I considered writing for a short time, which was really ridiculous.  And the poll was tied, so I guess I never got my answer LOL.

I think we had our reasons for making fun of the "mature fans."  Some of the ones on LiveDaily really were obnoxious, from what I remember.  And pushing other fans, especially fans a third your age, is never acceptable.  I'm sure there was also some jealousy on our part because most of us had yet to meet the Boys and may have still been at the mercy of our parents to provide money or transportation to go to shows LOL.  I won't deny, it's fun to be a "mature fan" who can travel out of state to go to shows and pay to meet the Boys if they're so inclined.

I don't really agree with the sex scene stuff anymore though.  A married woman writing graphic sex scenes about herself with a Backstreet Boy still seems a bit weird to me, but there's nothing wrong with writing sex scenes about fictional characters if it fits the story.  You can absolutely be both graphically violent and sexually explicit.  If you want to write it, go for it and don't hold back!  You can always edit and cut some out later if it feels like too much.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 05:08:51 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 50