Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 146129 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2021, 10:40:49 PM »

I feel like the timeline has helped tremendously to make the story more realistic.

This is only slightly related to this, but I wanted to mention it. At some point when I was poking around this past month, I stumbled on your thread about wanting help on colleges and fraternities, but didn't reply because it was old and you've probably either long finished or long abandoned the story in question. Just wanted to say that I would have loved to have helped you and if you (or anybody) ever needs research help with anything I have first hand experience with, I'm happy to help and let you pick my brain. I saw my name get mentioned a few times and I kind of wish they'd reached out on your behalf. I probably would have helped back then too.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2021, 10:41:36 PM »

I would say I was surprised Rose roped you into 00Carter (other than her being so convincing, so I'm not) because didn't it start right around that time? I'm sure the collaboration-based frustration would have been high.

Four to five years? That's a pretty good run for a collaboration. I guess the nice thing about either of those are that they're only vaguely episode to episode plot so if the urge to jump back in ever struck, it wouldn't be too hard. I say that not knowing how many chapters 00Carter ended up with.

Didn't he add a bunch of weird CGI to the originals too? I always liked Return of the Jedi.

LOL It took a bit of convincing for Rose to rope me into 00Carter.  Originally I was just like, "Ooh, I'll help make graphics and a Flash animation, but I don't want to write."  But that was more about the genre than the fact that it was a collaboration.  Rose was one of the people who joined the Code Blue rewrite project, so I kinda owed her.  Plus, it hadn't totally fallen apart yet at that point.

Yeah, technically it ran for five years, but not consecutively because I wrote Broken during that period and then started BMS and was pretty much obsessed with those stories.  I'm not sure what made me want to come back to Code Blue in the middle of BMS.

That is the nice thing about 00Carter - even if we never update it again, it at least has some closure because all the existing episodes are complete.

Yeah, there's a CGI Jabba in A New Hope now, and they replaced the original singer and song in Jabba's palace in RotJ with an annoying CGI alien singer and song.  I'm sure there are more examples, but those are the ones that stand out to me.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 10:43:08 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2021, 10:44:23 PM »

This is only slightly related to this, but I wanted to mention it. At some point when I was poking around this past month, I stumbled on your thread about wanting help on colleges and fraternities, but didn't reply because it was old and you've probably either long finished or long abandoned the story in question. Just wanted to say that I would have loved to have helped you and if you (or anybody) ever needs research help with anything I have first hand experience with, I'm happy to help and let you pick my brain. I saw my name get mentioned a few times and I kind of wish they'd reached out on your behalf. I probably would have helped back then too.

Tracy did finish that story, and it was really cute!  http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10986
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2021, 10:47:20 PM »

LOL It took a bit of convincing for Rose to rope me into 00Carter.  Originally I was just like, "Ooh, I'll help make graphics and a Flash animation, but I don't want to write."  But that was more of the genre than the fact that it was a collaboration.  Rose was one of the people who joined the Code Blue rewrite project, so I kinda owed her.  Plus, it hadn't totally fallen apart yet at that point.

Yeah, technically it ran for five years, but not consecutively because I wrote Broken during that period and then started BMS and was pretty much obsessed with those stories.  I'm not sure what made me want to come back to Code Blue in the middle of BMS.

That is the nice thing about 00Carter - even if we never update it again, it at least has some closure because all the existing episodes are complete.

Yeah, there's a CGI Jabba in A New Hope now, and they replaced the original singer and song in Jabba's palace in RotJ with an annoying CGI alien singer and song.  I'm sure there are more examples, but those are the ones that stand out to me.

Was there more convincing that I did not see, because I remember her pulling all her tricks out of her box! haha I loved your flash animations. I wish I could still see them. I don't know if it's a flash thing or a my computer thing, but they didn't work for me yesterday when I tried clicking.

What medical shenanigans were you on that point that Code Blue also included?

And if someone really wanted 00Carter to continue, they would just need to write a new episode. A fanfic for a fanfic, ha!

I hate pointless CGI. I don't think it made it better. I think I read/heard a joke about it once that "All the characters now have a digital twinkle added to their eye!" or something and I laughed so hard.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2021, 10:48:23 PM »

Tracy did finish that story, and it was really cute!  http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10986

Oh, good to know! Glad it's done!
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #125 on: January 03, 2021, 10:53:20 PM »

Was there more convincing that I did not see, because I remember her pulling all her tricks out of her box! haha I loved your flash animations. I wish I could still see them. I don't know if it's a flash thing or a my computer thing, but they didn't work for me yesterday when I tried clicking.

What medical shenanigans were you on that point that Code Blue also included?

And if someone really wanted 00Carter to continue, they would just need to write a new episode. A fanfic for a fanfic, ha!

I hate pointless CGI. I don't think it made it better. I think I read/heard a joke about it once that "All the characters now have a digital twinkle added to their eye!" or something and I laughed so hard.

Oh, I think she pretty much had me talked into it after a couple days of us brainstorming on here.

I was able to get two of the three flash animations from the post where we were voting on them to play.  The third link didn't work anymore, so I must have taken that one down.  You may have to enable Flash depending on what browser you used.  It's no longer supported, so browsers don't like it, but I can still play them on Chrome if I enable it.  The one that we kept is still on our website: http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com/00carter/  I think we added on to it and turned it into a video file in 2008.  I spent a lot of time making crap on Windows Movie Maker that summer LOL.

As for BMS, I have no idea, but it may have been a lack of medical shenanigans in that particular part of the story that drove me back to Code Blue LOL.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #126 on: January 03, 2021, 10:57:41 PM »

Oh, I think she pretty much had me talked into it after a couple days of us brainstorming on here.

I was able to get two of the three flash animations from the post where we were voting on them to play.  The third link didn't work anymore, so I must have taken that one down.  You may have to enable Flash depending on what browser you used.  It's no longer supported, so browsers don't like it, but I can still play them on Chrome if I enable it.  The one that we kept is still on our website: http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com/00carter/  I think we added on to it and turned it into a video file in 2008.  I spent a lot of time making crap on Windows Movie Maker that summer LOL.

As for BMS, I have no idea, but it may have been a lack of medical shenanigans in that particular part of the story that drove me back to Code Blue LOL.

You couldn't go to all that effort to make flash animations and then not participate. Oh yeah, that's what my browser said "no flash." I remember you did. "Yeah he looks all suave until he crashes the car." haha.

Okay, so a lack of what shenanigans would drive you back to 00Carter or 1000 Ways to Kill Nick Carter?
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2021, 11:02:42 PM »

You couldn't go to all that effort to make flash animations and then not participate. Oh yeah, that's what my browser said "no flash." I remember you did. "Yeah he looks all suave until he crashes the car." haha.

Okay, so a lack of what shenanigans would drive you back to 00Carter or 1000 Ways to Kill Nick Carter?

OMG, the part where the colors just start rotating, that is classic 2008 WMM.

I love that most of it is just The Call video. It's like those "This Movie edited for different genres" videos on YouTube.

Aw, I miss you 00Carter. You were very fun.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2021, 11:06:17 PM »

Oh, it would take no shenanigans whatsoever to bring me back to either story.  1000 Ways is my go to when I'm between stories, haven't written in awhile, and need something dumb to get me writing again.  It's all just separate one-shots tied together by the basic premise that Nick has to die in every one, usually in some ridiculous way, so that one can go on forever.  And I would come back to 00Carter any time others were willing to come back too.  Rose and I have talked about it, but haven't acted on it yet.  She's more into blogging than fanfic these days, and I've been wrapped up in writing other stories.  But I definitely don't consider it discontinued, not from my end.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2021, 11:09:49 PM »

OMG, the part where the colors just start rotating, that is classic 2008 WMM.

I love that most of it is just The Call video. It's like those "This Movie edited for different genres" videos on YouTube.

Aw, I miss you 00Carter. You were very fun.

LOL I know!!  I had to put that filter on because otherwise the combined clips of The Call and whatever Timberlake video I used had such different color schemes that they didn't look cohesive at all, so that made it look more like they went together.  I probably should have just used grayscale instead, but I thought that crazy rainbow effect was cool LOL.

The Call really was a perfect video for that.  It's the only really action movie type of music video they had.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #130 on: January 03, 2021, 11:24:56 PM »

And I would come back to 00Carter any time others were willing to come back too.  Rose and I have talked about it, but haven't acted on it yet.  She's more into blogging than fanfic these days, and I've been wrapped up in writing other stories.  But I definitely don't consider it discontinued, not from my end.

This is probably heavily influenced by the nostalgia, but I would say it's a possibility on my end if it began with a live read/react-a-thon. Editing to add: And with the right contribution parameters

LOL I know!! I probably should have just used grayscale instead, but I thought that crazy rainbow effect was cool LOL.

The Call really was a perfect video for that.  It's the only really action movie type of music video they had.

No grayscale would be too serious for 00Carter. It's perfect.

Am I misremembering STMH's video? The vampires all along one? That could have worked too. If only Nick had jumped from building's like Justin. It would have been perfect.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 11:26:31 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2021, 11:37:13 PM »

This is probably heavily influenced by the nostalgia, but I would say it's a possibility on my end if it began with a live read/react-a-thon. Editing to add: And with the right contribution parameters

No grayscale would be too serious for 00Carter. It's perfect.

Am I misremembering STMH's video? The vampires all along one? That could have worked too. If only Nick had jumped from building's like Justin. It would have been perfect.

Yeah, I would definitely need to do some rereading too to get back into it.  A live reading/react-a-thon sounds fun either way!  We'd have to get Rose in on that too.

STMH didn't exist yet!  But yes, it could have.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #132 on: January 04, 2021, 12:07:40 AM »

Yes, I did read the original Pandora's Box ages ago. I absolutely love that story so very much. I haven't read it since you have updated it with the new stuff, I must do a reread. I haven't read any fic other than Julie's in a while. Although today I'm rereading The Apartment, a classic fic by Mare cause I needed something nostalgic and fun to read.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #133 on: January 04, 2021, 12:09:53 AM »

Oh 00Carter was a huge favorite of mine too. I need to reread that I e as well. I should make a list. Lol. Someone today was asking me on Twitter for some fanfiction recommendation s. I sent her a bunch.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #134 on: January 04, 2021, 12:11:00 AM »

Yeah, I would definitely need to do some rereading too to get back into it.  A live reading/react-a-thon sounds fun either way!  We'd have to get Rose in on that too.

STMH didn't exist yet!  But yes, it could have.

I see that our ability to see into the future had dwindled over time, haha. And/or my ability to connect the past with dates.

I'm thinking end of March or June would work out with my school schedule. If we did Camp NaNo in July, wouldn't want to plan too much that interrupts anyone's project for that.

Of course Rose would need to be involved. I'm mostly trying to say her name or allude to her as much as possible to summon her. And everyone else too. Like Biggie Smalls.
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 50