Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 146232 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #165 on: January 04, 2021, 08:49:50 PM »

Yeah, I think we just need to go into it without any big expectations and the understanding that we're all adults with real life responsibiliti es and other projects that we also want to make time for.  I think what allowed Rose and me to finally finish Song for the Undead, even though it took us like 7 years, was that we were more patient with each other than we were with 00Carter.  We started off strong with Undead, but then real life got in the way for both of us, and we slowed down.  We both wrote other stories in the meantime, but we kept coming back to Undead with the understanding that we were going to finish it eventually.  If we have the same mindset for 00Carter, I think it will help.

I'd support that mindset! Especially if life threw any wrenches our way! Fun and not frustrating.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #166 on: January 04, 2021, 08:55:02 PM »

I would not call any of the Boys my muse, per se, but I seem to come up with the most ideas (or maybe just the best ideas) about Nick.  So I guess there is something about him that inspires me.  There's a lot to explore with Nick, when you look at how he grew up and how he's turned out.  Even though he's straightened himself out in real life, he still seems to attract more trouble and drama than the other guys, so it's easy to imagine him in fictional situations that would be less believable for most of the other boys to be involved in.  For example, I have a couple of ideas that were inspired by the sexual abuse allegations Melissa Schuman made against him.

I think that goes back to "Nick has main character vibes." Now I just want a fanfic where Howie gets into Nick shenaningans. And oof... that was a hard thing for me to wrap my head around.

I've found that any time I focus on AJ it opens a lot of ideas for me in whatever story I'm working on, though they might not necessarily be about AJ. So he's an inspirational muse. Nick's picky, stubborn, and pushy -- he gets the job done, haha.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #167 on: January 04, 2021, 08:59:33 PM »

Personally, I think a big part of my problem the first time around was that I didn't have another novel in the works when 00Carter was at its height.  So it was all I had, fanfic-wise, and I was really into it, and it was frustrating for me to have to wait on other people to be able to write my parts for it.  I think if I have a side project to work on, even if it's not something I'm posting, that will help me chill out more this time around LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #168 on: January 04, 2021, 09:04:30 PM »

I think that goes back to "Nick has main character vibes." Now I just want a fanfic where Howie gets into Nick shenaningans. And oof... that was a hard thing for me to wrap my head around.

I've found that any time I focus on AJ it opens a lot of ideas for me in whatever story I'm working on, though they might not necessarily be about AJ. So he's an inspirational muse. Nick's picky, stubborn, and pushy -- he gets the job done, haha.

LOL Other than in 00Carter, I can't see Howie as a bad boy, but that would be a fun challenge.

I really like writing AJ as a supporting character, but I struggle to come up with ideas with him as the main character.  I've been wanting to write an A-Rok story (not a slash, just a bromantic story about Brian and AJ's friendship because I love the two of them together), but I was having a hard time coming up with an idea I really liked.  I ended up just turning part of one of the ideas I did have into a subplot in Road to Bethlehem.

LOL Did anyone else read "he gets the job done" like the immigrants line in Hamilton?
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #169 on: January 04, 2021, 09:11:22 PM »

Personally, I think a big part of my problem the first time around was that I didn't have another novel in the works when 00Carter was at its height.  So it was all I had, fanfic-wise, and I was really into it, and it was frustrating for me to have to wait on other people to be able to write my parts for it.  I think if I have a side project to work on, even if it's not something I'm posting, that will help me chill out more this time around LOL.

Surely I was working on PBox then. Or "working" on PBox as the case often was.

Waiting for other people would definitely be frustrating if it was all you were working on. I get that.

Do you have a project lined up for after Bethlehem already or not yet? Where in the story would you say you are in the writing process (beginning, middle, or end)?
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #170 on: January 04, 2021, 09:15:09 PM »

I'm almost done with Bethlehem, so there's a part of me that's ready to jump back into 00Carter right now, before I get sucked into another story.  The other part of me is like, "No, wait until summer when you'll have more time."  I guess that makes me willing to go along with whatever you guys think!  I do have a start to another novel that I could work on next, or I have other ideas outlined that I could try to start.  I haven't really decided yet.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #171 on: January 04, 2021, 09:24:38 PM »

LOL Other than in 00Carter, I can't see Howie as a bad boy, but that would be a fun challenge.

I really like writing AJ as a supporting character, but I struggle to come up with ideas with him as the main character.  I've been wanting to write an A-Rok story (not a slash, just a bromantic story about Brian and AJ's friendship because I love the two of them together), but I was having a hard time coming up with an idea I really liked.  I ended up just turning part of one of the ideas I did have into a subplot in Road to Bethlehem.

LOL Did anyone else read "he gets the job done" like the immigrants line in Hamilton?

I find it hard to believe that Sass D has not had a single Nick-level shenanigan in his life.

As you know, I lean more Kevin and Brian if it's not Nick, then recently it's been team Howie, but when I get the right vibe for AJ, I love him a lot. I struggle with him more than the others, I think. And maybe more than I did with Howie in my early fanfic career (because he wasn't there at all).

I accidentally Hamilton all the time! Like last week's update, there was this line in the chapter:

“I won't pretend to know the challenges we’ll face, but I’m here.” She took another step toward him and reached out her hand, “And I’m not afraid, so you shouldn't be either.”

But this was this line before I edited it:

"I don't pretend to know the challenges we’ll face, but I’m here.” She stepped around the pallet and reached out her hand, “And I’m not afraid, so you shouldn't be either.”

And started here, so oops:

“I don't pretend to know the challenges we’ll face, but I’m not afraid.”
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #172 on: January 04, 2021, 09:27:39 PM »

LOL!  I regularly wake up with random Hamilton songs stuck in my head, so I get how you could unknowingly write in Hamilton lyrics.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #173 on: January 04, 2021, 09:27:48 PM »

I'm almost done with Bethlehem, so there's a part of me that's ready to jump back into 00Carter right now, before I get sucked into another story.  The other part of me is like, "No, wait until summer when you'll have more time."  I guess that makes me willing to go along with whatever you guys think!  I do have a start to another novel that I could work on next, or I have other ideas outlined that I could try to start.  I haven't really decided yet.

I could definitely do a reread earlier than a jump in. I think end of May would be perfect for me for starting unless the reread let to something really concrete/electric. I'd leave the reread deciding to Rose, because I could do it most any weekend after I finish my PBox edit, but not sure if she prefers certain days over others.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #174 on: January 04, 2021, 09:29:04 PM »

I'm gonna quote your last 00Carter post in the 00Carter thread I bumped and reply there so we can stop hijacking this thread. :)
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #175 on: January 04, 2021, 09:31:25 PM »

LOL!  I regularly wake up with random Hamilton songs stuck in my head, so I get how you could unknowingly write in Hamilton lyrics.

I know it got "canceled" this year, but I love it so much. When it came to town the first time, we weren't high enough in the queue to buy them initially, but our theatre company was very hardcore about reclaiming scalped tickets, so I just refreshed every day until we found two together on a day we could go. It was worth the ~$300 dollars/ticket. We did get them this time for a much more reasonable price, but then 2020. ha
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #176 on: January 04, 2021, 09:32:27 PM »

I'm gonna quote your last 00Carter post in the 00Carter thread I bumped and reply there so we can stop hijacking this thread. :)

Considering we're on a Hamiltangent, I don't think that will ever happen, but yes, 00Cater can probably be transitioned out.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #177 on: January 04, 2021, 09:33:38 PM »

I know it got "canceled" this year, but I love it so much. When it came to town the first time, we weren't high enough in the queue to buy them initially, but our theatre company was very hardcore about reclaiming scalped tickets, so I just refreshed every day until we found two together on a day we could go. It was worth the ~$300 dollars/ticket. We did get them this time for a much more reasonable price, but then 2020. ha

It's so good!  I didn't see it until it came to Disney+ this summer, and now I'm obsessed.  I can't wait until live theater comes back so I can hopefully go see it somewhere.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #178 on: January 04, 2021, 09:36:36 PM »

LOL Here's the Hamilton/writing connection to get us back on topic:  Lin-Manuel Miranda is an absolute genius!  I discovered my grandparents had a copy of the Alexander Hamilton biography that inspired him, so I borrowed it and have been slowly (very slowly) reading it bit by bit (it's incredibly long).  It's fascinating to see the connections to the musical and think that a biography like that could have inspired such a cool musical.

So here's a related question for everyone:  What has been the weirdest or most random/obscure/unexpected source of inspiration for one of your story ideas?
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #179 on: January 04, 2021, 09:41:48 PM »

It's so good!  I didn't see it until it came to Disney+ this summer, and now I'm obsessed.  I can't wait until live theater comes back so I can hopefully go see it somewhere.

Do! I haven't seen the Disney+ version, but live theatre is a spectacle.  My bff and I have season tickets to the broadway shows that roll through here and we've seen many great ones that we wouldn't have originally bought tickets for, so it's been fun. Although, the one we had scheduled in March was Spongebob the Musical and we were both dreading it, so... But then April was Mean Girls! Still sad about that. Is Hamilton still in residency in Chicago?
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 50