Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 146246 times)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #210 on: January 05, 2021, 01:39:41 AM »

I saw someone ask about him on Twitter the other day!  I was happy to see him so prominently displayed after all these years LOL.

Speaking of Drums and MJ, I have my music on shuffle, and a TaTu song just came on, which always makes me think of Ice Ice Baby.  The best part is it's an mp3 I probably downloaded from Limewire back in the day, and it has the AIM door opening and door closing sound effects in it at one point.  I always forget until it comes up and I do a double take, and then I remember and laugh.  Oh AIM and Yahoo Messenger, how I miss you.

He legitimately still makes me laugh. My desk is so random between him, the turtle, my penguin, the wax figures, and Ninja Nick. OMG TaTu will forever make me think of Ice Ice Baby. That episode was hilarious and so off the wall. 00Carter was basically me living my dream in including every music reference we possibly could LOL. I have story notes open (and focus failing if anyone can't tell) for three stories, one of them being 00Carter and dude, the next episode was our Mr. Body Beautiful one LOL. I'm even sadder now we never finished it.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #211 on: January 05, 2021, 01:42:08 AM »

My one random in the middle of the night jump in and jump back out post. Dee, you have to watch Hamilton on Disney +. It’s required watching for anyone with eyes and ears. I wish I could afford to see it on Broadway (or anywhere) live but we’re so fortunate that the original cast gave us that gift. When I lived closer to NYC, especially when I was a kid in the Bronx, I went to many shows on Broadway. I saw Les Miz on Broadway three times! The last Broadway show I saw was Chicago when Kevin was in it.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #212 on: January 05, 2021, 01:46:48 AM »

LOL hi Mare!

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #213 on: January 05, 2021, 01:49:12 AM »

My one random in the middle of the night jump in and jump back out post. Dee, you have to watch Hamilton on Disney +. It’s required watching for anyone with eyes and ears. I wish I could afford to see it on Broadway (or anywhere) live but we’re so fortunate that the original cast gave us that gift. When I lived closer to NYC, especially when I was a kid in the Bronx, I went to many shows on Broadway. I saw Les Miz on Broadway three times! The last Broadway show I saw was Chicago when Kevin was in it.

I hope they start doing that with more musicals!  It would be cool if they had decent quality recordings of old ones they could start releasing too.  I would love one of Book of Mormon or Wicked.  I have a bootleg video of the full Book of Mormon with the original cast when they were still in previews, but the quality is nowhere near Hamilton.  It's watchable, but it's basically like watching someone's concert videos.  Still, it's the only way I ever got to see the original cast, so I appreciate it.

The only shows I've seen on actual Broadway were The Lion King and Equus (when Daniel Radcliffe was in it).  Lion King was fantastic, of course.  Equus was good, but weird... I'm glad I went, but a part of me wished I had gone to see The Little Mermaid instead LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #214 on: January 05, 2021, 02:16:14 AM »

I hope they start doing that with more musicals!  It would be cool if they had decent quality recordings of old ones they could start releasing too.  I would love one of Book of Mormon or Wicked.  I have a bootleg video of the full Book of Mormon with the original cast when they were still in previews, but the quality is nowhere near Hamilton.  It's watchable, but it's basically like watching someone's concert videos.  Still, it's the only way I ever got to see the original cast, so I appreciate it.

The only shows I've seen on actual Broadway were The Lion King and Equus (when Daniel Radcliffe was in it).  Lion King was fantastic, of course.  Equus was good, but weird... I'm glad I went, but a part of me wished I had gone to see The Little Mermaid instead LOL.

That previewed here and I wasn't able to go and I'm still bitter about it. So you can bet that when Frozen previewed here, I went.

Disney + is the one subscription service I don't have! But yes, it's on the list once I can see people indoors because my bff does have it.

I bet Kevin was great in Chicago. Would have liked to see that.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #215 on: January 05, 2021, 02:30:40 AM »

OMG Disney+ is the one I honestly feel like is my money best spent LOL.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #216 on: January 05, 2021, 02:39:01 AM »

Spotify is mine.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #217 on: January 05, 2021, 07:19:07 AM »

I have way too many streaming services but honestly the one I use the most is probably HBO Max and Disney. Spotify too. I use Spotify to help me write. Does anyone else use music or anything like that for writing inspiration?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #218 on: January 05, 2021, 12:01:01 PM »

I use Spotify to help me write. Does anyone else use music or anything like that for writing inspiration?

I do!  I mostly write to instrumental music, as music with lyrics distracts me unless I'm really inspired.  I have a playlist of instrumental songs I've downloaded over the years, mostly movie scores and classical pieces.  I also have different playlists on Amazon Music and YouTube.  Lately YouTube has been my go to.  I found some cool channels with ambiance music from movies.  Ambient World is my favorite.

What kind of music do you listen to on Spotify?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #219 on: January 05, 2021, 01:08:27 PM »

I hope they start doing that with more musicals!  It would be cool if they had decent quality recordings of old ones they could start releasing too.  I would love one of Book of Mormon or Wicked.  I have a bootleg video of the full Book of Mormon with the original cast when they were still in previews, but the quality is nowhere near Hamilton.  It's watchable, but it's basically like watching someone's concert videos.  Still, it's the only way I ever got to see the original cast, so I appreciate it.

The only shows I've seen on actual Broadway were The Lion King and Equus (when Daniel Radcliffe was in it).  Lion King was fantastic, of course.  Equus was good, but weird... I'm glad I went, but a part of me wished I had gone to see The Little Mermaid instead LOL.

Rent was also a great movie where they used most of the original cast. It’s one of my all time favorite musicals and I was thrilled when they made it into a movie. I saw the original cast on Broadway and loved it. The Fox adaption didn’t do it justice. I wish I had seen The Book of Mormon. I’ve seen a taped illegally version of Wicked from Broadway but the quality wasn’t great. They are making that into a movie but without the originals. Still looking forward to it though!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #220 on: January 05, 2021, 01:09:29 PM »

That previewed here and I wasn't able to go and I'm still bitter about it. So you can bet that when Frozen previewed here, I went.

Disney + is the one subscription service I don't have! But yes, it's on the list once I can see people indoors because my bff does have it.

I bet Kevin was great in Chicago. Would have liked to see that.

He was awesome! Even though someone threw up on my jacket lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #221 on: January 05, 2021, 01:10:57 PM »

OMG Disney+ is the one I honestly feel like is my money best spent LOL.

Disney+ is money well spent. I watch that and HBOMAX all the time!

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #222 on: January 05, 2021, 01:30:39 PM »

Rent was also a great movie where they used most of the original cast. It’s one of my all time favorite musicals and I was thrilled when they made it into a movie. I saw the original cast on Broadway and loved it. The Fox adaption didn’t do it justice. I wish I had seen The Book of Mormon. I’ve seen a taped illegally version of Wicked from Broadway but the quality wasn’t great. They are making that into a movie but without the originals. Still looking forward to it though!

I never liked the network TV adapted ones, though I for sure watched the Grease live one for Aaron Tviet. Not Julianne Hough though, she's the worst.

MTV broadcasted Legally Blonde once upon a time and I believe it was up on you tube at one point, so the quality is fairly good.

As far as movies of the musicals go, the 2007 Hairspray holds up to the Ricki Lake version, I think.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 05:05:15 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #223 on: January 05, 2021, 01:32:31 PM »

He was awesome! Even though someone threw up on my jacket lol

NO! I'll go back and give them an earful.

Disney+ is money well spent. I watch that and HBOMAX all the time!

Xfinity just added HBO Max in the apps section, and I have definitely been avoiding it so I don't rebinge Friends or Bug Bang Theory. I'm trying so hard to at least be sort of productive.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 01:40:55 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #224 on: January 05, 2021, 01:40:33 PM »

Does anyone else use music or anything like that for writing inspiration?

I do!  I mostly write to instrumental music, as music with lyrics distracts me unless I'm really inspired.

I always listen to BSB when writing fanfic, because it puts me in a BSB mood. Over the years, it's become more and more "soundtrack to your life," so I can tune into the feeling without focusing on the lyrics as much. I've definitely used certain feeling beats for certain chapters. Ch. 14's fight was mostly written to the ambient sounds of DWYB on repeat over and over. Though certain songs definitely qualify as distractions when they pop up on shuffle. QPG, IAWLT, GAB, ALAYLM, Backstreet's Back come top of mind. Chances is always a distraction, but I walked down the aisle to it, so it's for multiple reasons (good song, wedding memories, feelings about my husband, feelings about the Boys, etcetera).

In ye olden days, I used to listen to NSYNC when writing Renee/NSYNC focused chapters, but haven't in the edit yet because the last day I edited chapters focused on them was my birthday and I just didn't want to listen to NSYNC on my birthday, ha. Might try it again for their next chunk though. See how far it gets...

I haven't tried any ambient moods playlists yet! If it's original fiction, I typically work in silence or the ambience of background TV noise.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 01:43:27 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 50