Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 146259 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #360 on: January 09, 2021, 08:08:24 PM »

Now you have to write a suspense thriller that turns out to be a fever dreamed caused by cancer.

LMAO!  Oh jeez, don't give me ideas.  I cut myself off from writing any more cancer stories.  Unless it's that Brian brain tumor story... cause at least it wouldn't be about Nick.

Anyone else ever been like, "Okay, that ship has sailed.  I will never write that type of storyline/genre/whatever again"?

Here's another story idea I gave myself in one of the question threads, which I have no memory of LOL.

Maybe someday I'll write that Brian/Howie story that everyone thinks would be such a snoozefest, and I'll make it an AU, and Brian will be a teacher, and Howie be a doctor, and I will be the female love interest who has to choose between the cute teacher and the rich doctor, and no one else will want to read it, but I will sure enjoy writing it! LMAO

I'm kidding... maybe.

We had been talking about some interview where the boys were asked what they would have done for a living if they weren't musicians, and those are the professions Brian and Howie mentioned.  Maybe I should write a story where Nick and Howie decide to go to med school together LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #361 on: January 09, 2021, 08:09:03 PM »

And now I'm rewriting PBox... Man, I've apparently really only had one good idea ever, haha.

LOL Better one good idea than none!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #362 on: January 09, 2021, 08:22:59 PM »

LMAO!  Oh jeez, don't give me ideas.  I cut myself off from writing any more cancer stories.  Unless it's that Brian brain tumor story... cause at least it wouldn't be about Nick.

Anyone else ever been like, "Okay, that ship has sailed.  I will never write that type of storyline/genre/whatever again"?

Okay, fine, a coma dream... Whatever.  Just add it to your ideas folder.

I did for ten years, then decided that I would be forever defined by it. I've poked in some of the recommendation s threads, always hoping it's someone's fantasy pick and it never is. I think I went the wrong route putting the twist at the end instead of at the beginning for a BSB fanfic, haha. Or not disappeared for a decade? But you're exactly right on this:

LOL Better one good idea than none!

Here's another story idea I gave myself in one of the question threads, which I have no memory of LOL.

We had been talking about some interview where the boys were asked what they would have done for a living if they weren't musicians, and those are the professions Brian and Howie mentioned.  Maybe I should write a story where Nick and Howie decide to go to med school together LOL.

You kind of did that with Brian and AJ in that AU already. At least Brian the teacher. I just can't picture you writing a self-insert fanfic, especially after all these years.

Or, instead of going to Med School together, Howie's like a few years ahead and becomes Nick's friend and mentor.

Howie stories will not be snoozefests. I'm going to go campaign in a socially responsible way. More justice for Howie! *makes a glittery sign that says "#TeamSweetD" and buttons*
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 08:25:34 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #363 on: January 09, 2021, 08:40:06 PM »

Okay, fine, a coma dream... Whatever.  Just add it to your ideas folder.

LOL I think I do have an old idea written down somewhere that was all going to turn out to be a coma dream, but it seemed too cliched.

I did for ten years, then decided that I would be forever defined by it. I've poked in some of the recommendation s threads, always hoping it's someone's fantasy pick and it never is. I think I went the wrong route putting the twist at the end instead of at the beginning for a BSB fanfic, haha. Or not disappeared for a decade?

I think it's the disappearing for a decade that is the problem.  Obviously there are a few of us still here from ten years ago, but not many.  It seems like most people that were actively reading back then have moved on or disappeared.  I bet Pbox got lost in the crowd after you stopped updating it, and people that came to AC after that never found it.  Hopefully you'll attract some new readers, if not here than on AO3.

You kind of did that with Brian and AJ in that AU already. At least Brian the teacher. I just can't picture you writing a self-insert fanfic, especially after all these years.

Or, instead of going to Med School together, Howie's like a few years ahead and becomes Nick's friend and mentor.

Howie stories will not be snoozefests. I'm going to go campaign in a socially responsible way. More justice for Howie! *makes a glittery sign that says "#TeamSweetD" and buttons*

Oh no, I wouldn't really write the teacher/doctor/self-insert love triangle.  There's a reason that one never made it into my ideas folder.  That would bore the crap out of me LOL.

I had that same thought about Howie being the mentor, but that would make it an AU, which is basically already what Code Blue was.  I was thinking it would be more interesting if Nick went to med school as himself, a Backstreet Boy.  It would be more along the lines of the show Castle, where a famous writer shadows a homicide detective to research for a story and ends up basically joining the police department.  This probably isn't a serious idea, although never say never.  I've written many a story that started as a joke.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #364 on: January 09, 2021, 08:42:22 PM »

Here is one reason I haven't updated Guilty Roads in so long:

Honestly, that is the problem I've been having with that story forever.  Why doesn't Nick just do that?  Is he really that stupid?  I want him to stay because that's how I envisioned the story going, but I don't know why he would, and the further I get into it, the harder it is to justify.  So I just stopped writing and moved on to something easier to write.  When the going gets tough... give up! :)

Great advice LOL.

At what point is it better to give up and move on to a different project instead of persevering with one that's giving you all kinds of trouble?
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #365 on: January 09, 2021, 08:52:43 PM »

LOL I think I do have an old idea written down somewhere that was all going to turn out to be a coma dream, but it seemed too cliched.

But if no one's done it in forever, it suddenly becomes uncliched... Hmmm... *holds out idea folder helpfully*

I think it's the disappearing for a decade that is the problem.  Obviously there are a few of us still here from ten years ago, but not many.  It seems like most people that were actively reading back then have moved on or disappeared.  I bet Pbox got lost in the crowd after you stopped updating it, and people that came to AC after that never found it.  Hopefully you'll attract some new readers, if not here than on AO3.

I mean, it was finished, but I think people are more apt to read active authors rather than inactive ones. I definitely needed the break, though perhaps not that long. All in all, I'm just happy to be writing something again because I wanted to write it and that some of the people I was hoping were still around are the people around here. Yo who knows about AO3. I'll summon Tracy again to explain Watt Pad if that's more active, because I stumbled around without an account and did not get it at all. It's organized really bizarrely (or at least is on my cell phone when I have no idea how to navigate it).

Oh no, I wouldn't really write the teacher/doctor/self-insert love triangle.  There's a reason that one never made it into my ideas folder.  That would bore the crap out of me LOL.

I had that same thought about Howie being the mentor, but that would make it an AU, which is basically already what Code Blue was.  I was thinking it would be more interesting if Nick went to med school as himself, a Backstreet Boy.  It would be more along the lines of the show Castle, where a famous writer shadows a homicide detective to research for a story and ends up basically joining the police department.  This probably isn't a serious idea, although never say never.  I've written many a story that started as a joke.

That's apparently your version of the "come up with the weirdest story you can!

Do you need a bachelor's degree to go to med school? Nick has his GED yeah? Med school might be a long process for him if he has to get a bachelor's degree first. However, people doing things like that is not uncommon, so more power to this fictional Nick! I believe in him!

And then it turns out to be a suspense novel in Brian's coma dream!
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #366 on: January 09, 2021, 08:55:03 PM »

Here is one reason I haven't updated Guilty Roads in so long:

Great advice LOL.

At what point is it better to give up and move on to a different project instead of persevering with one that's giving you all kinds of trouble?

I'm telling you characters. They're annoying and will do what they want. Let him leave and then make the plot find him after sneaking around in the dark!

At the point of panic and avoid, of course! After many months of whacking your head on your desk and staring at a blank screen. Haha.

At this point, I would say if you go more than a month without writing and without inspiration, take a break and then come back with fresh eyes. Don't be afraid to just not write for that time either.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #367 on: January 09, 2021, 09:13:38 PM »

I'll summon Tracy again to explain Watt Pad if that's more active, because I stumbled around without an account and did not get it at all. It's organized really bizarrely (or at least is on my cell phone when I have no idea how to navigate it).

I find WattPad to be weirdly organized too.  I have an account there and have browsed a bit, but have yet to actually read or post anything.  But maybe I should because Tracy did say she gets more feedback there than on AO3.

That's apparently your version of the "come up with the weirdest story you can!

Do you need a bachelor's degree to go to med school? Nick has his GED yeah? Med school might be a long process for him if he has to get a bachelor's degree first. However, people doing things like that is not uncommon, so more power to this fictional Nick! I believe in him!

And then it turns out to be a suspense novel in Brian's coma dream!

LMAO Yes!

You do need a bachelor's, and Nick would need to get his GED first.  He said on "I Heart Nick Carter" that he came close, but never actually graduated high school or got his GED and that he wanted to go back and get it (but I don't think that has ever happened LOL).  Then he would have to get his bachelor's degree and THEN go to med school.  I thought this through enough to realize it would take him like ten years to be far enough into this process to actually get to the point of seeing patients in a teaching hospital, which would be the fun part.  So no, it's totally not realistic.  But it could definitely work as a coma dream!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #368 on: January 09, 2021, 09:32:23 PM »

Here is a great answer to our "Why do we torture Nick so much?" question:
http://absolutechaos.net/fictalk/index.php/topic,3335.msg117614.html#msg117614

"It could also be that he would give the best, most dramatic reaction in any situation just from what we've seen of him. The rest of them are more rational. Example:

*A hole opens up in the sky, the pending apocalypse is here*

Howie and Kevin: Oh, we read about this in The Globe and Mail. Good thing we combined our forces and built a bunker. Everyone into the bunker!
AJ: *Lights a cigarette* Well, this blows.
Brian: *Clutches his bible*
Nick: ARE YOU KIDDING ME??! How can this be happening?! I've got two girls waiting in my bed and after that I'm moving into my twentieth house on the beach. Everything is terrible. I should have patched things up with my family. No, I shouldn't have, they're terrible. I'm in such crisis! Brian's praying - I bet he won't save my soul. We used to be best friends AND NOW WE'RE NOT.
Howie and Kevin: *Drag Nick to the bunk while he clutches his beautiful blonde head, crying the whole way*"
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #369 on: January 09, 2021, 09:32:47 PM »

I find WattPad to be weirdly organized too.  I have an account there and have browsed a bit, but have yet to actually read or post anything.  But maybe I should because Tracy did say she gets more feedback there than on AO3.

That's why I looked into it, but yeah, I'm totally lost. Tracy, please make a step by step tutorial for me! I wanna be where the people are! *sings* I'm the Disney Princess of fanfic land and this is my "I want" song, basically.

You do need a bachelor's, and Nick would need to get his GED first.  He said on "I Heart Nick Carter" that he came close, but never actually graduated high school or got his GED and that he wanted to go back and get it (but I don't think that has ever happened LOL).  Then he would have to get his bachelor's degree and THEN go to med school.  I thought this through enough to realize it would take him like ten years to be far enough into this process to actually get to the point of seeing patients in a teaching hospital, which would be the fun part.  So no, it's totally not realistic.  But it could definitely work as a coma dream!

I didn't think he ever graduated, but I wasn't sure if he'd gotten his GED by this point. I guess he's never needed it. I laughed so hard when he said "Now I can add 'seduced Robin Thicke' to my resume" because my first thought was "In what world does Nick Carter the Grammy nominated Backstreet Boy need a resume?" Can't he just have his people call whoever and say "Nick Carter the Grammy nominated Backstreet Boys would like to do xyz"?

Also, you don't need to physically go through all of that, you just need the studying montage from the beginning of Legally Blonde! I wonder what Nick would get a bachelor's degree in? I feel like something like OChem would turn him off. And Anatomy and Physiology at my school was notoriously difficult as well. And those are the courses that come to mind when friends were planning on pursuing Med School.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 10:25:17 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #370 on: January 09, 2021, 09:36:47 PM »

Here is a great answer to our "Why do we torture Nick so much?" question:
http://absolutechaos.net/fictalk/index.php/topic,3335.msg117614.html#msg117614

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Maybe instead of patching things up with his family, he should have patched things up with Brian? Then he would save his soul?

That's exactly it. He's either LOUDLY stoked as hell about everything or screaming from anxiety in as many words as possible.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #371 on: January 09, 2021, 10:03:10 PM »

I liked this question a lot:

24. If you could pick two stories you have written as a before and after to show us how much you have grown as a writer, which two would you pick?

But I almost want to change it to a before and after editing question... How does the same story change after you edit? Give us a scene that isn't a spoiler!
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #372 on: January 09, 2021, 10:23:25 PM »

I've finished three chapters today out of the five I wanted to finish, go me! Thanks Julie for being focused on the questions threads. Though I'm still here to chat about Nick going to medical school with you.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #373 on: January 09, 2021, 10:24:00 PM »

Also, you don't need to physically go through all of that, you just need the studying montage from the beginning of Legally Blonde! I wonder what Nick would get a bachelor's degree in? I feel like something like OChem would turn him off. And Anatomy and Physiology at my school was notoriously difficult as well.

Oh I know, I wouldn't show all the school part.  Hypothetically, I would start it with him either in his third year of med school where he gets to start rotations in a hospital or right after he graduates med school and starts his first job.  But again, it's really not realistic that Nick would go through all that trouble with two little kids and a whole nother career.

I've finished three chapters today out of the five I wanted to finish, go me! Thanks Julie for being focused on the questions threads. Though I'm still here to chat about Nick going to medical school with you.

Yay!  LOL I only have one more thread to go through, so I'm almost done compiling.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #374 on: January 09, 2021, 10:28:26 PM »

Oh I know, I wouldn't show all the school part.  Hypothetically, I would start it with him either in his third year of med school where he gets to start rotations in a hospital or right after he graduates med school and starts his first job.  But again, it's really not realistic that Nick would go through all that trouble with two little kids and a whole nother career.

Yay!  LOL I only have one more thread to go through, so I'm almost done compiling.

But it is realistic in Brian's suspenseful coma dream...  :bateyes: He might do it just to have a "you can do anything!" moment for them if he got focused enough on the idea. Persistence and all.

How many questions are you up to now? So many...
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 50