Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 145960 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #420 on: January 10, 2021, 10:56:27 PM »

No, not at all.  That ship has sailed.  It was just on my mind because I talked about it the other day.  I do have a series of Nick & Claire one-shots called Footprints that I could add to if I ever felt a strong urge to write about them again, but I haven't written anything for that in a long time.

LOL Unplugged as taken off life support?  Oh noes!

I stop dredging up failed stories from your past, haha. You also have one shots? That was an epic! No wonder you only write shorter stories now.

That's exactly what I meant! Oh noes, the medical drama! I volunteer as a consultant for your video game world building.

No!  I just googled that, and you're right!  They really are the best.  It's on my bucket list to see a live platypus in person.  I once read that Australia refused to export them to zoos on other continents because they don't do as well in captivity, but then I just looked it up again now and found an article about a pair being on display at the San Diego Zoo in 2019!  I wonder if they'll still be there post-pandemic.  I wanna go!

I would love to see a platypus and an echidna. They are fascinating. I'd go to Australia for that, but I also love the San Diego Zoo! If they're still there, I hope they're doing okay if they don't do well in captivity.

Depending on how fast I write, yes!  I'm like halfway through the second-to-last chapter.  Hopefully I'll finish that in the next week and just have one more to write, which I think will go quickly.

How did we get on the same schedule? haha It's like the stars aligned. Take your time, though, obviously.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #421 on: January 10, 2021, 11:05:22 PM »

How did we get on the same schedule? haha It's like the stars aligned. Take your time, though, obviously.

I know!  It's kinda perfect.  I told myself I need to be done in the next month anyway, or I'll catch up to myself and not have anything to post LOL.  Plus I just remembered I have a three-day weekend coming up for MLK Day, so it should be a productive one.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #422 on: January 10, 2021, 11:10:39 PM »

I know!  It's kinda perfect.  I told myself I need to be done in the next month anyway, or I'll catch up to myself and not have anything to post LOL.  Plus I just remembered I have a three-day weekend coming up for MLK Day, so it should be a productive one.

That's the same thing I keep telling myself too, be productive over MLK weekend.

I take it you have enough chapters to get yourself through January right now? You're pretty close to the end!
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #423 on: January 10, 2021, 11:21:20 PM »

Oh no, I forgot how much I head hopped in this chapter... I probably still head hop between Minako and Nick between scenes and haven't even noticed, don't I? Darn me for considering them co-protagonists in this one... Oof, this one will be fun to edit and put back into more Brian's POV like the other demon-focused chapters are... This is one I got told was confusing and that would probably solve the problem.

Apparently this is a question thread and also a "Dee complains about things to anyone who might listen" thread...

I think that was one of the questions? 1st or 3rd POV?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 11:33:53 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #424 on: January 11, 2021, 04:45:51 PM »

That's the same thing I keep telling myself too, be productive over MLK weekend.

I take it you have enough chapters to get yourself through January right now? You're pretty close to the end!

Yep!  I posted 16 this past weekend, and I'm working on 20, which should be the second to last chapter.  So I'm good through at least the 30th and hoping to be done by then.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #425 on: January 11, 2021, 04:53:35 PM »

Oh no, I forgot how much I head hopped in this chapter... I probably still head hop between Minako and Nick between scenes and haven't even noticed, don't I? Darn me for considering them co-protagonists in this one... Oof, this one will be fun to edit and put back into more Brian's POV like the other demon-focused chapters are... This is one I got told was confusing and that would probably solve the problem.

Apparently this is a question thread and also a "Dee complains about things to anyone who might listen" thread...

I think that was one of the questions? 1st or 3rd POV?

POV can get so complicated when you have multiple main characters.  Even J.K. Rowling is guilty of head-hopping.  It happens.

So what is everyone's preferred point of view these days?  And if you write in different POVs depending on the story, how do you decide which to do?
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #426 on: January 11, 2021, 05:10:09 PM »

Yep!  I posted 16 this past weekend, and I'm working on 20, which should be the second to last chapter.  So I'm good through at least the 30th and hoping to be done by then.

You've got this! *holds up a reasonably sized banner that says "Go Julie!"*
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #427 on: January 11, 2021, 05:19:30 PM »

So what is everyone's preferred point of view these days?  And if you write in different POVs depending on the story, how do you decide which to do?

I think I used to write exclusively in a 3rd omniscient POV, but then dabbled in some 1st person POV and enjoyed the inner monologue enough that I tend to go for a 3rd limited these days. But I really try my best to stick to one character for a chapter. Although Nick has a tendency to black out in the middle of chapters, so... That's probably where I get in trouble head hopping.

I did my holiday story in Nick's POV exclusively though because he was alone for a good chunk of it and I didn't feel like omnisciently following him around.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #428 on: January 11, 2021, 05:42:23 PM »

It's definitely easier to do limited with only one character.

I used to write almost exclusively in third person.  Then I went through a first person phase, and now I'm back to writing mostly third person.  I think I said this before, but first person helped me move past my purple prose phase.  You can't do purple prose in first person, or it sounds like Twilight LOL.  First person is fun and works well for stories where I only want to show one character's perspective (though I have written first person stories that switched between two narrators), but when I want to show the perspectives of more than one or two people, I stick with third person.  I usually write in third person limited, although which character's perspective it's limited to may switch from scene to scene or chapter to chapter.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #429 on: January 11, 2021, 05:46:03 PM »

Here's a fun question for today. I came across this thread "Fanfic Cliches" where we all discussed how guilty we were of cliches.

What decisions have you made to actively subvert a fanfic cliche?

I talked about it more in the post quoted below, but I decided to introduce Howie second in PBox because I actively wanted to avoid him having an unimportant role in the story where he just slept or something.

In the early days of my career as a fanfic writer, I leaned hard into that old cliche that "Howie appears in chapter seven or something, finally, and then doesn't appear until the end again" because as a young writer, I didn't know what to do with him. Also, Nick existed.

So, when I started writing PBox, I had a few shaky details on the aspects of the Boys I wanted to draw their archetypes/roles/powers from (I'm a hardcore plantser, more on those two things once AJ has been introduced in the edits), but I also wanted to make a conscious effort to give Howie something important to do. I thought, well he's Sweet D. always taking care of people, so "The Good King" seemed like the perfect role for him. He gets introduced as a "voice in a carriage," but I always felt like he was out and about that day checking on his citizens and their day-to-day goings on. At least until Nick and Minako crashed into the capital screaming, "We're here to interrupt you with the plot, Howie!!!"
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #430 on: January 11, 2021, 05:52:48 PM »

I think I said this before, but first person helped me move past my purple prose phase.  You can't do purple prose in first person, or it sounds like Twilight LOL.  First person is fun and works well for stories where I only want to show one character's perspective (though I have written first person stories that switched between two narrators), but when I want to show the perspectives of more than one or two people, I stick with third person.  I usually write in third person limited, although which character's perspective it's limited to may switch from scene to scene or chapter to chapter.

It really does, because no one thinks purple prose. Well, sometimes I do when I'm being melodramatic on purpose in my head so I don't do something melodramatic out loud, but that's not too often.

As I've been fixing up this chapter, I've enjoyed the exercise in being more creative and thoughtful about Nick's reactions, because he can't ramble in his head like he normally would. And since they're all in the dark, I also have been focusing on sound more than I typically do, which is also fun. Thanks Brian for being a delight in story.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #431 on: January 11, 2021, 06:37:32 PM »

LOL Yeah, I am/was guilty of quite a few of those!

And yeah, I have used most of these cliches too.  Even the ones I say I don't like LOL.  I've done the best friends, the childhood best friends (slight difference there), the abused chick, the bus crash, the car crash, the plane crash, the cancer story, the kidnapping story, the stalker story, the Brian heart problems story (there's one no one has mentioned yet - though that one is not so popular anymore either), the love child after a one night stand, the drug abuse fic, the long lost fictional sibling (sort of - in reverse), the stranded on a deserted island fic (almost), the vampire fic, the ghost fic, the angel fic, the suicide attempt fic, the transplant fic, the sick child fic, the star-crossed lovers fic, the NSync-are-the-bad-guys fic, the girl group fic...

I am a walking cliche. :D

Accurate!

As for ways I've tried to actively subvert a cliche...

Probably the biggest one in suspense is of course the stalker or kidnapper, Always directed at Nick and I am guilty of writing a few storylines with this plot as well lmao *hangs head in shame*

I wrote a story where Nick and Brian didn't know they had been kidnapped.

The biggest cliche I have noticed in medical type dramas is the failure of the sick person (again usually Nick lol) to tell anyone he's sick until it's too late.

I'm guilty of using this one twice with Nick, but in my last "Nick has a disease" story, he went straight home from the doctor's office and told Lauren the truth.  Yay Nick!

- the use of Frick and Frack

As a Frick & Frack girl, I'm sure I used to use these nicknames a lot, but I have made an effort to cut back.  I have an unofficial "Frick & Frack" quota in my stories now.  It's not a hard and fast number, but I only allow Brian and Nick to use those nicknames in certain situations.  They can use them if they're being cheesy on purpose, or they can use them in life or death situations when they're begging each other to hang on or stay away from the light or whatever, LOL.  Just not too many times; once or twice is most effective.  I have the same rule for Howie calling Nick "Nicky."  I will use it occasionally to be cute, and I will definitely bust it out to try to make readers cry, but only sparingly.

I will leave you with this, which cracked me up! LMAO

But seriously, if there's a bus crash that leads ultimately to Nick falling in love with a forest ranger then being diagnosed with cancer caused by tanning bed exposure and too much sex then a week later he finds out some chick he slept with had his child... write something else.

Well that just killed my next story idea, thanks a lot! *deletes Swollen, Faceless chance encounter with Mare the gorgeous, pregnant best friend of Nick the kidnapped forest ranger* :(  <-- the title was too long anyways. lol
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #432 on: January 11, 2021, 06:56:01 PM »

As for ways I've tried to actively subvert a cliche...

I wrote a story where Nick and Brian didn't know they had been kidnapped.

I'm guilty of using this one twice with Nick, but in my last "Nick has a disease" story, he went straight home from the doctor's office and told Lauren the truth.  Yay Nick!

What did they think was happening instead of them getting kidnapped? A fun trip for ice cream?

Good for Nick. He's matured a lot when he gets diseases in your stories.

As a Frick & Frack girl, I'm sure I used to use these nicknames a lot, but I have made an effort to cut back.  I have an unofficial "Frick & Frack" quota in my stories now.  It's not a hard and fast number, but I only allow Brian and Nick to use those nicknames in certain situations.  They can use them if they're being cheesy on purpose, or they can use them in life or death situations when they're begging each other to hang on or stay away from the light or whatever, LOL.  Just not too many times; once or twice is most effective.  I have the same rule for Howie calling Nick "Nicky."  I will use it occasionally to be cute, and I will definitely bust it out to try to make readers cry, but only sparingly.

I try to limit my Frick & Frack usage to myself these days.

Although looking back at all those "Brian is Nick's guardian angel," maybe Nick is Brian's guardian angel?

Also I love Mare's joke stories. Mare, please just write down one scene from all of them somewhere. I just want to laugh again. I miss Mare/Julilly banter.

the NSync-are-the-bad-guys fic

I also want to point out that NSYNC isn't bad, they're just the heroes of another story!... written by an NSYNC fan. :D There's a version of PBox out there where Nick's an untamed monster and Justin has deep emotional issues he's too afraid and vulnerable to share with anyone.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #433 on: January 11, 2021, 07:13:13 PM »

What did they think was happening instead of them getting kidnapped? A fun trip for ice cream?

Good for Nick. He's matured a lot when he gets diseases in your stories.

They woke up in what they thought was a hospital.  But I would be down for a story where the kidnappers take them on a fun trip for ice cream... laced with drugs to subdue them.  Yay!

Aww I know, Nicky's growing up.  :patpat:

I try to limit my Frick & Frack usage to myself these days.

Although looking back at all those "Brian is Nick's guardian angel," maybe Nick is Brian's guardian angel?

If Nick is Brian's guardian angel, he needs to start giving better advice!  The devil on the other shoulder is winning.

:whip: "Make a video asking your fans to follow you to Parler."

:angel: "No, Frick!  Don't do it, bro!"

Also I love Mare's joke stories. Mare, please just write down one scene from all of them somewhere. I just want to laugh again. I miss Mare/Julilly banter.

I second this.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #434 on: January 11, 2021, 07:27:20 PM »

They woke up in what they thought was a hospital.  But I would be down for a story where the kidnappers take them on a fun trip for ice cream... laced with drugs to subdue them.  Yay!

Yay! Look at all the fun sprinkles in that one! :wave:

(I just wanted to use some fun smilies.)

If Nick is Brian's guardian angel, he needs to start giving better advice!  The devil on the other shoulder is winning.

Let's be honest, the devil one is too busy doing this:

:whip: "Look what I can do!" *shoves whole fist in its mouth*

And the Angel is over here:

:angel: "No, Frick! Don't be a dick like everyone knows you are!"

So... advice is inconclusive.
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 50