Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 146090 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #480 on: January 12, 2021, 09:46:04 PM »

Stumbled through this thread: "fighting with your characters"

Does this still happen to anyone? I only ask as it's basically my reason for being.

Also, it seems like Nick wanted to pick fights with everyone. Why is he so picky in particular? Other than the aforementioned "main character vibes."
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #481 on: January 13, 2021, 05:45:08 AM »

I include too many song lyrics.  Not as much as I used to, but I still have characters singing songs from time to time, and not just BSB songs.  I would need to edit all that out or get permission to use it if I were going to publish a novel.

I also describe features of the Boys' appearance more often than I need to (which would be almost never, since we all know what they look like LOL).  Especially Brian's blue eyes, Nick's blond hair, and Kevin's eyebrows LOL.

I came across a YouTube video once made by a former fanfic author who became published, talking about bad habits fanfic authors have.  https://youtu.be/SmbUAKi-ovY  I have probably been guilty of all of these at some point, but the one that I had never thought about was the eye-based reactions.  I am always having my characters raise their eyebrows, waggle their eyebrows, etc.  To be fair, though, Nick has really nice eyebrows, and Kevin has really prominent ones, so I blame them.  Maybe with different characters, I wouldn't do that so much. LOL

If anyone watches the video I linked above, let us know your thoughts and if you're guilty of any of those "bad habits."

I am so guilty of song lyrics lmao. Nick's always singing in my stories.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #482 on: January 13, 2021, 05:54:57 AM »

Remember when people would write dialogue in Ebonics because that is how nick was speaking most of the time?

God yes and I was so guilty of this LOL.

Do you think there is any subject matter that should be off limits when it comes to writing a story? Is there anything you would never write about?
I mean I've mentioned Melissa in stories so clearly nothing's off limits LOL.

Is there a storyline that you want to see covered that no one has really touched on?
Honestly I'd like to see more people touch upon the Nick/Brian rift knowing everything we know now.

How far do you take your hatred of someone when it comes to fan fiction? (ie: Leighanne or even a BSB fan).
Killed them. And not in the fun bring them back way.

Now I'm curious about the most random thing ever. What font do you guys write in? LOL
Calibri!

Have you ever considered writing a story or a sequel to one of your existing stories and then decided against it and were later glad you decided not to write it?  Share the most ridiculous idea you came up with, but never wrote!
I thought about writing a sequel for Walked Out Of My Dreams... it didn't come together right though. The most ridiculous? Maybe the one where Julie and I were going to have the Boys happen upon a baby being dropped off at their house and it ends up being possessed with a demon LMAO.

Give us a random fact about something you've written that we might find surprising.
Umm...Remember Me This Way is the only story where I knew the exact last line of the story before I even wrote it. I wrote it in my original outline.

What is the biggest motivator for you to write?  And on the other end of things what is the thing that makes your motivation go bye bye?

Honestly just the escape of it. Sometimes stress tires me out though.

What are some of the stories you've written because they were something you would want to read?

Practically every story I've written LOL. Since I write in the less popular genres it's always been more about write what I'd want to see.

Have you ever actually gone back and read those stories, and if so, do you think you enjoyed them as much as you would have if you hadn't been the one who wrote them?

No but maybe I should.

Are there any stories you've written that you don't think you would read if someone else had written them?
OH yeah, Just Another Day I never would've read LOL.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #483 on: January 13, 2021, 06:04:37 AM »

Oh Nick still argues with me. It's why my story "Miles To Go" hit such a block. I had a plan, Nick fought me. I gave up and went with him and here we are. I did write myself out of that corner finally though so that's a plus. It's just slow going.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #484 on: January 13, 2021, 06:13:02 AM »

LOL That should be a challenge.  Take someone's joke idea and write it as a real story.

My kind of challenge LOL.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #485 on: January 13, 2021, 06:23:19 AM »

It's okay, once I was done drinking my coffee, I switched it back to blonde AJ and Dolphins doorag Nick, haha. That's perfect for you! I got my bff one with a stethoscope on it that says "I limit myself to one cup of coffee a day," but it's one of those novelty gigantic mugs. I enjoy when I get to drink coffee out of an actual mug, because you get to smell it more. However, I think I prefer my to-go mugs because they don't have handles, so handedness and picture isn't an issue. My favorites are my crocodile mug (more recently since I used it every Wednesday this fall) and one I have that says "Cold Hands Warm Heart."

I always used writing as an escape/processing tool as well, so I'm hoping I'm just overthinking it while I mire around in Renee & NSYNC land. I got half a page of edits done so far today, so I'd say it's going pretty well (with a few "forum refresh" breaks when I stare at a portion too long). Although I woke up kind of late, so I'm more behind than I'd like to be.

I think the 2000s were just a rollercoaster for Nick too. I kind of wished I had someone to talk with during those times that understood my side of it and didn't just jump to "Nick's a terrible person."

I'm just hoping I don't let actual Brian affect PBox Brian in a terrible way. I'd feel so bad. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I guess I'm just more worried about how the other Boys are feeling today, but that's a conversation for the "Everything Backstreet Boys" thread and not this one necessarily.

I wish you'd come back sooner. There were many talks here. Honestly I'm surer now than I was in 2017 about what I think happened.

As for Brian, I basically am taking a step back from him at the moment. Because I didn't jump to "terrible person", but I did jump to..."terrible decisions" and "terrible beliefs". So where does that leave me? No idea. I'm really bothered by it. So taking a break from him to sort out my head with him seemed best. I'm not judging how anyone decides to cope with it.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #486 on: January 13, 2021, 04:34:03 PM »

The most ridiculous? Maybe the one where Julie and I were going to have the Boys happen upon a baby being dropped off at their house and it ends up being possessed with a demon LMAO.

Haha, I forgot about this idea!  It was gonna be a twist on the old "Here's your love child you didn't know you had" cliche.

Oh Nick still argues with me. It's why my story "Miles To Go" hit such a block. I had a plan, Nick fought me. I gave up and went with him and here we are. I did write myself out of that corner finally though so that's a plus. It's just slow going.

I would love to see you update this one again!  I'm glad you at least wrote yourself out of the corner.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #487 on: January 13, 2021, 05:08:35 PM »

I am so guilty of song lyrics lmao. Nick's always singing in my stories.

I am guilty of making him sing made up songs in his head. Anyone else do this or only real songs?

Now I'm curious about the most random thing ever. What font do you guys write in? LOL
Calibri!

What are some of the stories you've written because they were something you would want to read?

Practically every story I've written LOL. Since I write in the less popular genres it's always been more about write what I'd want to see.

It's like we're twins! I know how much you'd love that.

Share the most ridiculous idea you came up with, but never wrote!
The most ridiculous? Maybe the one where Julie and I were going to have the Boys happen upon a baby being dropped off at their house and it ends up being possessed with a demon LMAO.

I mean, there's definitely a fair share of guys who might describe an ex as a succubus. Someone's bound to be right eventually.

Haha, I forgot about this idea!  It was gonna be a twist on the old "Here's your love child you didn't know you had" cliche.

Called it!  ;D

Give us a random fact about something you've written that we might find surprising.
Umm...Remember Me This Way is the only story where I knew the exact last line of the story before I even wrote it. I wrote it in my original outline.

How soon in the idea did you come up with it? Was it the first thing or had you been planning it out for a while. I love when last lines are really impactful.

Are there any stories you've written that you don't think you would read if someone else had written them?
OH yeah, Just Another Day I never would've read LOL.

I feel like I remember you being particularly proud of that one. Have your feelings for it changed over the years or is it "proud in a different way"?

Why is he so picky? At this point, I figure if he has something to say to just trust him. He's usually got the right idea. Glad you were able to write yourself out! You've got this!

This was basically my "respond to everything Rose has said" post.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #488 on: January 13, 2021, 05:15:55 PM »

I wish you'd come back sooner. There were many talks here. Honestly I'm surer now than I was in 2017 about what I think happened.

As for Brian, I basically am taking a step back from him at the moment. Because I didn't jump to "terrible person", but I did jump to..."terrible decisions" and "terrible beliefs". So where does that leave me? No idea. I'm really bothered by it. So taking a break from him to sort out my head with him seemed best. I'm not judging how anyone decides to cope with it.

Alas, I will hop in my time machine next time. I'm here now, slowly wasting time again.  ;D I'm still not entirely decided on it (and we don't need to get into it now), but I decided long ago that if Nick said he's on the right side of that line, I would choose to trust him. Definitely got labeled as a "won't hold their favorites accountable" by a friend, but I've accepted that.

I wish I could have, but as I said, I had a Brian PBox chapter to edit. However, it's gone mostly well, just took several days and basically got a whole chapter rewrite (mostly to fix some confusing bits), unlike the other Boys. So, lucky for you Brian? Now I just have to punch the last page of edits out and then let it sit while I edit everything else for updating day.

I figured if I checked here first, it would be less distracting later, haha. If you see me posting or lurking on who's online and I haven't updated my updates thread, call me out.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #489 on: January 13, 2021, 05:59:08 PM »

I figured if I checked here first, it would be less distracting later, haha. If you see me posting or lurking on who's online and I haven't updated my updates thread, call me out.

Get back to work, Dee.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #490 on: January 14, 2021, 06:49:36 PM »

Get back to work, Dee.

I saw you updated, so I guess you did!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #491 on: January 14, 2021, 06:55:59 PM »

Another question I thought of while watching The Resident:  Has the pandemic affected the plots of your current or future stories at all?  If it hasn't, do you see yourself writing something that takes place in this time period, or would you prefer to stick to the past or an unspecified time period for future projects?

I asked this question the other day, and I don't think anyone answered it.  It may have gotten lost among all the other posts, or maybe no one had an answer.

Personally, the pandemic played a big role in the premise of my current story, The Road to Bethlehem.  I have a Brian idea I'm considering for my next project that I thought of a few years ago, but I will likely incorporate the pandemic and other current events into that if I write it while all of that is still relevant.  Most of my other story ideas are set in the past, so the pandemic wouldn't affect them.

Another question for everyone who still writes:  How about the recent drama surrounding Brian?  Do you think that will affect your current or future projects?
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #492 on: January 14, 2021, 07:46:27 PM »

I saw you updated, so I guess you did!

I got my new update out, but not my edits. That Brian POV chapter ended up being 3000 new/changed words and somehow ended up longer than it was before. I thought for sure editing out the confusion would make it shorter. So I finished my update and then figured "I'll let this sit for 24 hours" before I post the PBox edits. At some point in PNecklace, Nick and Minako are playing their silly travel game where they ask each other vague questions or request stories about certain topics. One of their questions was "First impression of one of our friends" and Nick's answer was "Talks too much" about Brian. And judging by that update to align with his POV, Nick's not wrong! haha.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #493 on: January 14, 2021, 07:57:40 PM »

3000 new/changed words?!  Wow, that would be like every word in an average chapter of mine LOL.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #494 on: January 14, 2021, 08:00:13 PM »

I asked this question the other day, and I don't think anyone answered it.  It may have gotten lost among all the other posts, or maybe no one had an answer.

Personally, the pandemic played a big role in the premise of my current story, The Road to Bethlehem.  I have a Brian idea I'm considering for my next project that I thought of a few years ago, but I will likely incorporate the pandemic and other current events into that if I write it while all of that is still relevant.  Most of my other story ideas are set in the past, so the pandemic wouldn't affect them.

A Brian idea would be wild right now, how would all the current business affect your idea? (No major spoilers, obviously.) I thought I did, must have gotten lost in the shuffle... Found it.

On a whole, I'd rather forget 2020 ever happened. And if anything, I think it's made me go the opposite. Avoid anything present-day. I like to remember my Boys as they were in fanfics, so I don't think I'd ever write anything past 2003ish. But who knows! Never say never.

Another question for everyone who still writes:  How about the recent drama surrounding Brian?  Do you think that will affect your current or future projects?

I think you're in my head, because I was doodling your word chickens during lunch today and was thinking that with all the Brian drama, these three jokes all sound like the're actually the same story:

Although looking back at all those "Brian is Nick's guardian angel," maybe Nick is Brian's guardian angel?

Also if Nick's become clairvoyant in addition to everything else he's got going on, I feel like there's a whole new fanfic there. You can also blame him for my distracting reappearance, so I guess he works in mysterious ways... *shrug*

Hahahaha. Guys, I love you, but I do not have time to do real life, write, chat with you, and be your ghostly Messiah from the Heavens who helps you save fanfic, so you've gotta pick three, haha. (May I suggest the first three? I've got those down.)

It's like The Neverending Story, but Nick is the childlike empress.

I already doodled Nick as the childlike empress, so it did already start popping around my brain. Maybe it's fate?
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 50