Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 146491 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #495 on: January 14, 2021, 08:07:00 PM »

3000 new/changed words?!  Wow, that would be like every word in an average chapter of mine LOL.

You know, it felt like it. That's about my average too 3000-4000. I think it ended up being on the high end of 4000, maybe crept into 5000. I think I'll need to pare something down...
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #496 on: January 14, 2021, 08:12:59 PM »

I thought I did, must have gotten lost in the shuffle... Found it.

Oops, so it was your post that got lost in the shuffle, not mine.  Sorry I missed it!

It is fun reading and writing old-school, late '90s/early '00s era fics.  I think it's easier to keep it group-centered in those, compared to now.  Now it takes more effort to get rid of their families.

I think you're in my head, because I was doodling your word chickens during lunch today and was thinking that with all the Brian drama, these three jokes all sound like the're actually the same story:

I already doodled Nick as the childlike empress, so it did already start popping around my brain. Maybe it's fate?

LOL Can't wait to see the word chickens!  Yes, maybe you are destined to write a story with Nick as Brian's guardian angel, after you finish your PBox/PNecklace series.  But don't take too long - Brian seriously needs an angel to set him straight right now LOL.

A Brian idea would be wild right now, how would all the current business affect your idea? (No major spoilers, obviously.)

Oddly enough, I think it actually strengthens my idea.  Like maybe it was fate that I sat on that idea so long; maybe I was meant to write it this year.  I won't know until I actually try to write something, which won't happen until Bethlehem is officially done, but it kinda seems like perfect timing.  Now, will anyone actually want to read a Brian story right now?  That is another question LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #497 on: January 14, 2021, 08:19:04 PM »

Inspired by the nostalgia thread...  Would you ever name a child after a character from one of your stories?  What about a character from someone else's story?  (This could also include published fiction.)  Would you name a kid after one of the Boys?

So you can also answer for pets if you want!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #498 on: January 14, 2021, 08:41:06 PM »

Inspired by the nostalgia thread...  Would you ever name a child after a character from one of your stories?  What about a character from someone else's story?  (This could also include published fiction.)  Would you name a kid after one of the Boys?

So you can also answer for pets if you want!

I think it depends on what the character does in the story? I like the name Renee, but I'd know she was a jerk in the story. It's kind of like kids in class having names you like. I'd been pondering "Carter" since I met my husband/decided I'd marry him if he asked/wasn't sure how long it would take to convince him to go for a "junior"... and then I had a Karter in my class and he was a sweet hellion. But I was like, well that was a Karter and not a Carter, so it might be okay. And then when one of my sister-in-laws and I were discussing baby names, she brought up Carter (again, don't know if she wanted C or K), and I was like, ugh, that would be weird... Two Carters in the same family. Plus I didn't want to fight with her over ownership of the name, because she would fight passive aggressively and dirty, haha. But after my BSB 2020, I just don't think I could get the husband on board. Maybe if I hadn't devolved into my teeny ways on Wednesdays?

So I guess we're back to "Junior"?

I pondered the other Boys for a hot minute, but I don't think I could convince him to go for Howie or AJ for similar reasons, we know too many Kevins personally, and I can't in good conscience claim that "Don't be a dick like everyone knows your namesake is" wouldn't slip out of my mouth once. And I would laugh, but the kid would not.

Going for a "Junior" situation or Carter would be the best bet. My dream of owning a yellow dog named "Beau" was shattered for similar reasons to the "Kevin" for a kid's name.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #499 on: January 14, 2021, 08:51:51 PM »

Oops, so it was your post that got lost in the shuffle, not mine.  Sorry I missed it!

It is fun reading and writing old-school, late '90s/early '00s era fics.  I think it's easier to keep it group-centered in those, compared to now.  Now it takes more effort to get rid of their families.

When we're speed replying/commenting like in the days of old, it's easy to miss a post. I'm glad you brought the question back up. Other people might have missed it, but I have eagle eyes to respond to all questions, haha.

That's most of it. I'm lazy and don't like writing about their families. Also, I've become more like Mare in my old age. If I'm reading a BSB fanfic, I'd rather not read about their actual families. I'd honestly be fine with female OC love interests, but I feel like there aren't as many of those anymore.

LOL Can't wait to see the word chickens!  Yes, maybe you are destined to write a story with Nick as Brian's guardian angel, after you finish your PBox/PNecklace series.  But don't take too long - Brian seriously needs an angel to set him straight right now LOL.

Oddly enough, I think it actually strengthens my idea.  Like maybe it was fate that I sat on that idea so long; maybe I was meant to write it this year.  I won't know until I actually try to write something, which won't happen until Bethlehem is officially done, but it kinda seems like perfect timing.  Now, will anyone actually want to read a Brian story right now?  That is another question LOL.

I think you'll get a kick out of them. They just have to be just right and they're not quite there yet. That might have to be a two projects at once thing if that was the case, because PBox/PNecklace/etcetera will likely take a while. However, it's something new I'm intrigued by, so it's a possibility. I'm mostly in the "mulling it over" stage at the moment.

I love that. Sometimes things are just serendipitous! I'm excited for you, but yes, finish Bethlehem first. I think you're well known and enjoyed enough that people who read your stuff would read it as well as people who would read Brian centered fanfics anyway. There's also that sheer curiosity aspect: Brian was always Julie's favorite, how's she angling this?
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #500 on: January 14, 2021, 09:13:36 PM »

I think it depends on what the character does in the story? I like the name Renee, but I'd know she was a jerk in the story. It's kind of like kids in class having names you like. I'd been pondering "Carter" since I met my husband/decided I'd marry him if he asked/wasn't sure how long it would take to convince him to go for a "junior"... and then I had a Karter in my class and he was a sweet hellion. But I was like, well that was a Karter and not a Carter, so it might be okay. And then when one of my sister-in-laws and I were discussing baby names, she brought up Carter (again, don't know if she wanted C or K), and I was like, ugh, that would be weird... Two Carters in the same family. Plus I didn't want to fight with her over ownership of the name, because she would fight passive aggressively and dirty, haha. But after my BSB 2020, I just don't think I could get the husband on board. Maybe if I hadn't devolved into my teeny ways on Wednesdays?

Keep working on him; I think Carter's a cute name!  But not if your sister-in-law beats you to it, unless she gave you her blessing.  Cousins both named Carter would be kinda weird, and I know some people are really touchy about that kind of thing.  I've had a couple of Carters in class, and they were both sweet kids!  One year I had a Nick and a Carter in the same class, and it secretly made me smile whenever I got to say their names back to back LOL.

When I was like 14, I was dead set on naming a daughter Brianne.  I don't think I would actually do that now because there are other girl names I like better, but that's the only way I could see myself naming a kid after a Backstreet Boy.  I used to like the name Alexa, but it would be cruel to name a kid that today LOL.

As far as naming kids after my own characters... If I did, it would probably be because I used a name I already really liked for a character.  I love the name Analiese, which I gave to a character in Guilty Roads.  If I ever named a daughter that, it would be because I like the name, not because of that character.  I could see myself using Claire or Carolyn as a middle name, but probably not a first name.

I don't think I would name a kid after a character from someone else's fanfic, unless it was a name I already loved.  Harry Potter characters are fair game though! LOL  I probably wouldn't name a human child after a HP character, but I have a cat named Luna and want to have a black cat named Bellatrix someday.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #501 on: January 14, 2021, 09:46:21 PM »

Keep working on him; I think Carter's a cute name!  But not if your sister-in-law beats you to it, unless she gave you her blessing.  Cousins both named Carter would be kinda weird, and I know some people are really touchy about that kind of thing.  I've had a couple of Carters in class, and they were both sweet kids!  One year I had a Nick and a Carter in the same class, and it secretly made me smile whenever I got to say their names back to back LOL.

I don't think I would name a kid after a character from someone else's fanfic, unless it was a name I already loved.  Harry Potter characters are fair game though! LOL  I probably wouldn't name a human child after a HP character, but I have a cat named Luna and want to have a black cat named Bellatrix someday.

I do too. Just subtle enough. I'm hoping that we have a boy before she does and I'd very calmly explain all my reasons (also "I got your brother to agree to it knowing all my reasons" would be a good point in my favor) and it would be all good, haha. Aw, a Nick and a Carter, that would make me smile too. I've had a few Brians and the Karter I mentioned already.

I've ended up with a lot of kids with GOT names in my class actually, so people definitely do it! I say do whatever makes you happy. My name was actually inspired by Star Trek (which I hate admitting to people), so there's precedence for this type of thing in my family. I guess, no one tell my potential future son that he got named after his mom's favorite boy bander? He'll figure it out and I'll be like "Well, at least you're named after a great guy? You're welcome!"

When I was like 14, I was dead set on naming a daughter Brianne.  I don't think I would actually do that now because there are other girl names I like better, but that's the only way I could see myself naming a kid after a Backstreet Boy.  I used to like the name Alexa, but it would be cruel to name a kid that today LOL.

As far as naming kids after my own characters... If I did, it would probably be because I used a name I already really liked for a character.  I love the name Analiese, which I gave to a character in Guilty Roads.  If I ever named a daughter that, it would be because I like the name, not because of that character.  I could see myself using Claire or Carolyn as a middle name, but probably not a first name.

I can't even remember what I wanted to name any future children at 14, but they all probably had nothing to do with the Boys as my plan was to become a famous Britney Spears-type and marry Nick, so that would have been weird. I had a co-teacher named Alexa a few years ago and that first Christmas we worked together, her parents got everyone Amazon Alexas and she said it was the worst thing that had ever happened to her as everyone tested them out simultaneously throughout the holiday. Poor Alexa.

I have a name in mind for a daughter as well, but it's more on the "just about everyone has a holiday birthday in your family" vein than anything else. I know I've actively tried not to use names I was seriously considering for children in stories (other than the Boys using their own names, obviously). Although Madeleine might not be the worst way to sneak in a BSB reference either.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 10:05:00 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #502 on: January 15, 2021, 05:41:43 PM »

I've been working on a update for If I Knew Then for a few days now and Nick has been bugging the hell out of me to change things and rewrite them.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #503 on: January 15, 2021, 06:14:19 PM »

I've been working on a update for If I Knew Then for a few days now and Nick has been bugging the hell out of me to change things and rewrite them.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 06:18:37 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #504 on: January 15, 2021, 06:35:18 PM »

It's good to know that as I edit, Nick apparently keeps Nicking along over the years.

I just added this line: Nick leaned his head back against the wall and closed his eyes. He winced, then opened them again and fixed his gaze on hers.

And a few lines down on the page in the unedited portion is this line: Nick leaned his head against the crisp, stone wall, shutting his eyes momentarily and holding his hand just above the wound.

Glad he's so consistent, I guess?

Also, Tracy, I was trying to figure out how many posts were on a page so my reply to you didn't get lost when I sent this and I found that I posted something similar a couple days ago:

Stumbled through this thread: "fighting with your characters"

Does this still happen to anyone? I only ask as it's basically my reason for being.

Also, it seems like Nick wanted to pick fights with everyone. Why is he so picky in particular? Other than the aforementioned "main character vibes."

And Rose said:

Oh Nick still argues with me. It's why my story "Miles To Go" hit such a block. I had a plan, Nick fought me. I gave up and went with him and here we are. I did write myself out of that corner finally though so that's a plus. It's just slow going.

So I feel like at this point we probably just need a thread titled "Nick's being annoying about my writing again" where we can all vent about him barging in and making his opinion known (loudly and persistently).
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #505 on: January 15, 2021, 07:20:07 PM »

Lol I should have read back but thank you for showing me lol. In this particular case Brian has a lot to say and Nick doesn't like how I originally wanted him to react so he had me change a bunch of stuff. He is a persistent little shit haha

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #506 on: January 15, 2021, 07:40:15 PM »

Lol I should have read back but thank you for showing me lol. In this particular case Brian has a lot to say and Nick doesn't like how I originally wanted him to react so he had me change a bunch of stuff. He is a persistent little shit haha

Nah, I think this thread goes pretty fast. I've enjoyed every minute of it, but I've only had to play catch up the two times Rose appeared and replied to twenty different things. But I know it can be frustrating combing back through a quick-paced thread, so I'm happy other people come in to post. :) Happy to pull up anything if it helps.

I think Nick basically badgers until he gets his way. He's very opinionated about everything for many of us, it seems. If I go a while without hearing from him, I miss his annoying ways, but that also tells me I'm doing everything exactly right, according to him anyway. Sometimes if I get stuck with a couple options, I'll put something that could fit, but he wouldn't like so he'll pop up and say "EX~CUSE ME!" so I can get back on the right track.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #507 on: January 15, 2021, 08:53:29 PM »

I came across a YouTube video once made by a former fanfic author who became published, talking about bad habits fanfic authors have.  https://youtu.be/SmbUAKi-ovY

So I started watching some of her other fanfic to pro videos while eating dinner and basically got sucked in. I think it's all pretty interesting! Anyone else watch any of these videos?
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #508 on: January 15, 2021, 09:24:07 PM »

Although Madeleine might not be the worst way to sneak in a BSB reference either.

Ooh, Madeleine's a good one!  No one outside of the fandom would ever get where that came from LOL.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #509 on: January 15, 2021, 09:27:26 PM »

Ooh, Madeleine's a good one!  No one outside of the fandom would ever get where that came from LOL.

Let's just say that I've considered it. I don't even think my husband would catch it, haha. There's also Julia in Poster Girl.
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 50