Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 146253 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #525 on: January 16, 2021, 12:13:04 AM »

Any reason in particular? Other than the squees of the hurt one being comforted?

I've mentioned my love of Band of Brothers/Family of Choice/True Companions many times.

I'm also a sucker for "The Power of Friendship" because I just love characters that know they're stronger together (see: Band of Brothers/Family of Choice/True Companions above).

I love all these ones you mentioned too.  I bet most BSB authors who write group stories do; that brotherly relationship is one of the things we all love about the Boys, right?

As for hurt/comfort, I think it just goes with my lifelong love of medical drama.  I was reading fiction about hospitals and diseases and whatnot well before I discovered fanfic.  Then I found fanfic at a time when Brian heart problem stories were all the rage, so I read a lot of those (as well as bus crash stories and all the rest) and eventually started writing them too.  I've done romantic hurt/comfort, but I also like just having the other boys be there for the one who's hurt or sick.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #526 on: January 16, 2021, 12:23:22 AM »

I love all these ones you mentioned too.  I bet most BSB authors who write group stories do; that brotherly relationship is one of the things we all love about the Boys, right?

Definitely. If anything they're the reason I love those ones so much in general, maybe in the back of my mind, I'm like "the characters from x are just like the Boys right now," haha.

As for hurt/comfort, I think it just goes with my lifelong love of medical drama.  I was reading fiction about hospitals and diseases and whatnot well before I discovered fanfic.  Then I found fanfic at a time when Brian heart problem stories were all the rage, so I read a lot of those (as well as bus crash stories and all the rest) and eventually started writing them too.  I've done romantic hurt/comfort, but I also like just having the other boys be there for the one who's hurt or sick.

It's crazy to think of a time when the medical drama was mostly focused on a real life medical issue Brian had instead of "spin the wheel of possible diseases for Nick" ("Herpes? That's too normal." *spins again* "Ooh, flesh eating bacteria!"). I miss the good old bus crash stories. It always felt like anything could happen after a bus crash.

You're assuming I don't also squee when the Boys comfort one of them when they're hurt or sick without any romantic connotations. It's not quite the same thing, and I know Mare used to make fun of it/would make fun of me now, but I always enjoyed when Kevin carried Nick up stairs or whatever.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #527 on: January 16, 2021, 12:35:34 AM »

It's crazy to think of a time when the medical drama was mostly focused on a real life medical issue Brian had instead of "spin the wheel of possible diseases for Nick" ("Herpes? That's too normal." *spins again* "Ooh, flesh eating bacteria!"). I miss the good old bus crash stories. It always felt like anything could happen after a bus crash.

You've been spying on me again, haven't you?  How else would you know I had herpes and flesh-eating bacteria on my Nick Wheel of Misfortune?

I'm sure the Sick Nick stories were around then too, but being a Brian teenybopper whose least favorite Backstreet Boy was Nick, I only read stuff about Brian or Brian and the group.  Like bus crash stories!

The ER crossover I finished last year was an old-school bus (technically van) crash story set in 1995, and it was such a fun throwback.  I hadn't written one of those since 2000.

You're assuming I don't also squee when the Boys comfort one of them when they're hurt or sick without any romantic connotations. It's not quite the same thing, and I know Mare used to make fun of it/would make fun of me now, but I always enjoyed when Kevin carried Nick up stairs or whatever.

Not at all!  I was just saying I personally enjoy both.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #528 on: January 16, 2021, 12:50:08 AM »

You've been spying on me again, haven't you?  How else would you know I had herpes and flesh-eating bacteria on my Nick Wheel of Misfortune?

Hahahaha! Well, I figured after leg choppage and zombie viruses you could either go completely mundane or continue down the less common medical issues path. How common are flesh eating bacteria? I'm actually not sure!

I wish I still had my tiny wheel, then I would write these on it for the full laugh.

I'm sure the Sick Nick stories were around then too, but being a Brian teenybopper whose least favorite Backstreet Boy was Nick, I only read stuff about Brian or Brian and the group.  Like bus crash stories!

The ER crossover I finished last year was an old-school bus (technically van) crash story set in 1995, and it was such a fun throwback.  I hadn't written one of those since 2000.

Think there are Sick Howie or Sick Kevin stories? I'm sure Sick AJ has to exist...

A medical drama and a bus crash? How did it feel to go back to your roots?

Not at all!  I was just saying I personally enjoy both.

All the squees here too. Though I prefer my problems on the emotional side over the medical for hurt/comfort. This one is broken and being cared about helps fix them and makes it so they start personing again. Aww.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #529 on: January 16, 2021, 04:58:48 AM »

I love stories where the guys are kidnapped, whether it's one or all of them. I like hurt /comfort stories.

I especially love stories set back in the day when they were younger. Old school stuff.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #530 on: January 16, 2021, 05:13:07 AM »

Same ^
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #531 on: January 16, 2021, 10:19:55 AM »

Hahahaha! Well, I figured after leg choppage and zombie viruses you could either go completely mundane or continue down the less common medical issues path. How common are flesh eating bacteria? I'm actually not sure!

I wish I still had my tiny wheel, then I would write these on it for the full laugh.

Flesh-eating bacteria aren't super common, but when I hear stories in the news about it, it usually comes from Florida, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to infect Nick with it LOL.  Future "1000 Ways to Kill Carter" idea, perhaps.

You read my mind.  I have a wheel somewhere that I bought for my classroom a long time ago and don't use, but I don't remember if it's in storage at school or out in my garage.  I need to go look for it.  I would totally make a Wheel of Misfortune LMAO.

Think there are Sick Howie or Sick Kevin stories? I'm sure Sick AJ has to exist...

LOL I have written Sick Howie.  I have a Kevin medical drama started - not so much Sick Kevin as Hurt Kevin, but close enough.  Sick AJ definitely exists, though he's much rarer than Sick Nick or Sick Brian.

A medical drama and a bus crash? How did it feel to go back to your roots?

It was fun!  One of the first few fanfics I wrote was a bus crash story, which was admittedly pretty bad.  It was satisfying to write a fresh take on that storyline and actually write it well this time.  It was the perfect story for me.

All the squees here too. Though I prefer my problems on the emotional side over the medical for hurt/comfort. This one is broken and being cared about helps fix them and makes it so they start personing again. Aww.

Emotional hurt/comfort is good too!  I just love angst.

I love stories where the guys are kidnapped, whether it's one or all of them. I like hurt /comfort stories.

I especially love stories set back in the day when they were younger. Old school stuff.

Yes to all of the above!!  More old-school kidnapping stories, please!  I would love to see you or Mare write another one.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #532 on: January 16, 2021, 12:29:58 PM »

Flesh-eating bacteria aren't super common, but when I hear stories in the news about it, it usually comes from Florida, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to infect Nick with it LOL.  Future "1000 Ways to Kill Carter" idea, perhaps.

You read my mind.  I have a wheel somewhere that I bought for my classroom a long time ago and don't use, but I don't remember if it's in storage at school or out in my garage.  I need to go look for it.  I would totally make a Wheel of Misfortune LMAO.

Nick's just down in the Keys racing boats, falls in the water, then a couple days later has black spots on his body...

You bought a wheel and don't use it? I love those tiny wheels. The one I bought got donated to the non-profit board I used to be on because it was a long inside joke among some of the older members who have all since retired. And again, people love tiny wheels. If you can't find it, maybe I'll just buy you a Wheel of Misfortune for the laughs. I think it wasn't that expensive if memory serves correctly.

It was fun!  One of the first few fanfics I wrote was a bus crash story, which was admittedly pretty bad.  It was satisfying to write a fresh take on that storyline and actually write it well this time.  It was the perfect story for me.

I love it. I don't think I could go back and do a fresh take on any of the first stories I wrote, they would just be... bad... It would be too bad...

Emotional hurt/comfort is good too!  I just love angst.

Same. I think that's a telltale sign that a professional author used to write fanfic, because I think that's one thing all fandoms have in common: everyone just loves angst.

Same ^
Yes to all of the above!!  More old-school kidnapping stories, please!  I would love to see you or Mare write another one.

Seconded. I hear there was a Nick and Brian being kidnapped, but thinking they were getting ice cream idea earlier in this thread.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #533 on: January 16, 2021, 12:42:27 PM »

So I was really productive today so far, but not in the way I intended! I mentioned earlier that I've been enjoying the bops on I'm Taking Off this past week and this morning, I woke up with one tiny line from one of the songs in my head and I was like, "Oh, hey Nick, you want to talk about something clearly." "I want to say this." And then I wrote part of the end of PNecklace.  :o So, I guess now I know that my editing break did not deter my will to finish it (good for me).

Do you all always know the exact end before you start writing or is it more vague ideas? If you write in order, what do you do when monumental things like that pop up? If you don't always write things in order, would you drop everything and write an end before you've finished a middle?

I also ended up spitting this out onto the paper during that writing session: “If I don’t have you, all those promises don’t mean anything!”

Did I accidentally Backstreet and lean into it or did my brain purposefully put the words in that order to intentionally Backstreet?  :shrug: I know I accidentally Hamilton sometimes, but in a BSB fanfic it's less clear to me because there are definitely times I do it on purpose (like the thing Nick bugged me about this morning or every Incomplete reference in PBox), but I've also found a few while editing where I've thought, "Haha, BSB. I don't think I meant to do that?"
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #534 on: January 16, 2021, 01:07:02 PM »

Nick's just down in the Keys racing boats, falls in the water, then a couple days later has black spots on his body...

Necrotic flesh, oh noes!!

You bought a wheel and don't use it? I love those tiny wheels. The one I bought got donated to the non-profit board I used to be on because it was a long inside joke among some of the older members who have all since retired. And again, people love tiny wheels. If you can't find it, maybe I'll just buy you a Wheel of Misfortune for the laughs. I think it wasn't that expensive if memory serves correctly.

Yeah, I bought it with the thought of using it for classroom management, but then I got away from giving out rewards for behavior and haven't found another good use for it.  I have a smartboard, so it's easier to just use a virtual spinner when I need one.  This one was just taking up space.  I know I still have it somewhere though; it was too cool to get rid of, and as I've said, I'm a bit of a hoarder LOL.

Seconded. I hear there was a Nick and Brian being kidnapped, but thinking they were getting ice cream idea earlier in this thread.

LOL!  Crazy fans pull up outside the studio in an ice cream truck...
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #535 on: January 16, 2021, 01:13:37 PM »

So I was really productive today so far, but not in the way I intended! I mentioned earlier that I've been enjoying the bops on I'm Taking Off this past week and this morning, I woke up with one tiny line from one of the songs in my head and I was like, "Oh, hey Nick, you want to talk about something clearly." "I want to say this." And then I wrote part of the end of PNecklace.  :o So, I guess now I know that my editing break did not deter my will to finish it (good for me).

Yay for you!  I love those unexpected bursts of inspiration.  Waking up with words already in your head is the best, especially when it's the weekend and you actually have time to write.

I will be back to respond to the rest later.  I allowed myself a short break from writing to check the forum, but I need to get back at it while I'm in the right head space.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #536 on: January 16, 2021, 01:18:25 PM »

Necrotic flesh, oh noes!!

Haha, I knew you would know the actual medical term for whatever I was picturing.

Yeah, I bought it with the thought of using it for classroom management, but then I got away from giving out rewards for behavior and haven't found another good use for it.  I have a smartboard, so it's easier to just use a virtual spinner when I need one.  This one was just taking up space.  I know I still have it somewhere though; it was too cool to get rid of, and as I've said, I'm a bit of a hoarder LOL.

I love and hate smartboards because there's something so satisfying about having a physical thing to use for those types of things rather than just some sort of virtual app or add on. I hope you find it and add it to your room on inspiration, haha. Maybe Rose needs one for any time she has a new plot bunny. Now it's a random fanfic wheel of inspiration!

LOL!  Crazy fans pull up outside the studio in an ice cream truck...

Hahaha, not the crazy fans running a food truck! It's 2020 though, so all the ice cream is actually made from bananas and other fruit. We find out that Nick has a severe allergy to something weird like dragon fruit. Now he's kidnapped and sick! How will Brian comfort him now?! Haha. I'll keep going for days on joke fanfics, basically.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #537 on: January 16, 2021, 01:23:54 PM »

Yay for you!  I love those unexpected bursts of inspiration.  Waking up with words already in your head is the best, especially when it's the weekend and you actually have time to write.

I will be back to respond to the rest later.  I allowed myself a short break from writing to check the forum, but I need to get back at it while I'm in the right head space.

Same! Otherwise it just ends up a tiny note in my Google Keep documents that I hope I remember everything about later in the same way.

I also allowed myself a short break between projects, but I'm hoping to be really productive between now and picking up my husband at the airport. Hopefully it doesn't derail my flow too much. Good luck and vibes to you!
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #538 on: January 16, 2021, 03:59:29 PM »

Here's another fun writing question for today:

What's something small about writing that you love when it happens?

Mine is word choice. That moment when you are carefully choosing your words and you stumble upon a place where you get to use a word with many layered (and often contradictory) definitions and they all fit together beautifully in a nuanced way in that portion of the narrative. It happened twice to me today: attention and cleave. I was very excited.

Carry on with your Saturday writing, all!
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #539 on: January 16, 2021, 11:57:16 PM »

Haha, I knew you would know the actual medical term for whatever I was picturing.

I watch a lot of reruns of The Monsters Inside Me on Animal Planet LOL.  I love me some flesh-eating bacteria!

Hahaha, not the crazy fans running a food truck! It's 2020 though, so all the ice cream is actually made from bananas and other fruit. We find out that Nick has a severe allergy to something weird like dragon fruit. Now he's kidnapped and sick! How will Brian comfort him now?! Haha. I'll keep going for days on joke fanfics, basically.

The ice cream cones were probably full of gluten - oh noes!!  Now it's gonna give him explosive diarrhea, and Brian's gonna be stuck in the back of the van with him and no bathroom.  Oh noes!!!  Brian may be the one who needs comforting after that, haha.

I also allowed myself a short break between projects, but I'm hoping to be really productive between now and picking up my husband at the airport. Hopefully it doesn't derail my flow too much. Good luck and vibes to you!

Thanks!  My little break lasted longer than I intended, but I did finish the first scene of Chapter 20, which was my goal for today.  I hope you were productive before picking up hubby!
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 50