Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 145974 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #570 on: January 18, 2021, 01:20:56 PM »

I never can either, which is abysmal. I think it's because the /y/ isn't really pronounced, but you know it's in there somewhere, but where is a mystery. I think it holds up, but it's also probably still my second favorite movie of all time (after Titanic, obviously).

Obviously!

And yeah, I always want to put the y somewhere after the r.  Labryinth?  Labriynth?  But I learned how to spell Saoirse the night we found out baby girl's name, so I can learn Labyrinth too if I just put my mind to it.  Goals!

It's still third person POV, but a little more character centered. So yes, just Nick's thoughts. I feel like it would be a very difficult challenge to completely change it to first person and probably not my preference anyway. I think my limit on writing a first person POV is about 10,000 words.

Yeah, that would be challenging (and time-consuming!) to completely change the POV for a whole story.  I have done it for first chapters, on the rare occasion I've started writing in one POV and then changed my mind, and even doing that sucks.

I prefer first person for stories that center on one or two characters, not the whole group.  It's easier to show multiple perspectives in third.

It was an intentional Cartering, I guess? Is that the verb for this? The phrase "switch off the sun, the stars, and the moon" was just me switching verb tense from "Who Needs The World" to match the narrative. So does that mean that Nick intentionally or accidentally Backstreeted in that song? New things to ponder...

Haha, how weird - I thought of Anywhere for You first, not Who Needs the World.  (Even though I love Who Needs the World much more.)  It's funny how they use the same phrases across multiple songs.  "Wild and free" is another one of those.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #571 on: January 18, 2021, 01:28:46 PM »

Obviously!

And yeah, I always want to put the y somewhere after the r.  Labryinth?  Labriynth?  But I learned how to spell Saoirse the night we found out baby girl's name, so I can learn Labyrinth too if I just put my mind to it.  Goals!

It's definitely a "does the i come first or the y?"

I'm still not really sure how to spell it, or pronounce it to be honest. I'm a terrible fan. I'll go hide in shame.

Yeah, that would be challenging (and time-consuming!) to completely change the POV for a whole story.  I have done it for first chapters, on the rare occasion I've started writing in one POV and then changed my mind, and even doing that sucks.

I prefer first person for stories that center on one or two characters, not the whole group.  It's easier to show multiple perspectives in third.

I've done it a couple times when there were only a few chapters, but yeah, it's a lot. Even just changing those 3rd person based inner thought sections has been time consuming to match verb tense. It's definitely better this way, more character-centric, but sooooo time consuming. I think I usually only go with straight 1st person if there's other characters in it, but we really only spend time with one of them. Like my holiday story, I started writing it in 3rd person, but Nick shopping was just funnier when he was narrating it himself.

Haha, how weird - I thought of Anywhere for You first, not Who Needs the World.  (Even though I love Who Needs the World much more.)  It's funny how they use the same phrases across multiple songs.  "Wild and free" is another one of those.

All I'm thinking of right now is "The One," but I definitely feel like there's others! I wonder if the ones that use the same phrases have the same songwriters or if they're different songwriters.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #572 on: January 18, 2021, 02:23:47 PM »

It's definitely a "does the i come first or the y?"

I'm still not really sure how to spell it, or pronounce it to be honest. I'm a terrible fan. I'll go hide in shame.

It's okay; Nick's mom doesn't either LOL.  She did an interview with Aaron right after Saoirse was born and kept saying "Seer-say" - and something about how Saoirse was the name of a Greek goddess (which is not true; it's an Irish name) and also her Siamese cat when she was a child.  https://youtu.be/nfk_TbmhUuo?t=152

In actuality, it's pronounced "Seer-sha," and she was named for a character in an animated movie Odin liked to watch when they were on tour.  I definitely had to practice the pronunciation too.

All I'm thinking of right now is "The One," but I definitely feel like there's others! I wonder if the ones that use the same phrases have the same songwriters or if they're different songwriters.

Show Me the Meaning is the other one.  "Wild and free, I can feel the sun..."   I bought a light-up sign that says "Wild and Free" for my writing room just because it reminded me of BSB songs LOL.

You got me curious, so I looked it up.  Max Martin co-wrote both SMTMOBL and The One, so there's definitely a connection there.  Anywhere for You and Who Needs the World were written by completely different teams of people though, so that one's just a fluke.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #573 on: January 18, 2021, 03:07:56 PM »

It's okay; Nick's mom doesn't either LOL.  She did an interview with Aaron right after Saoirse was born and kept saying "Seer-say" - and something about how Saoirse was the name of a Greek goddess (which is not true; it's an Irish name) and also her Siamese cat when she was a child.  https://youtu.be/nfk_TbmhUuo?t=152

In actuality, it's pronounced "Seer-sha," and she was named for a character in an animated movie Odin liked to watch when they were on tour.  I definitely had to practice the pronunciation too.

Okay, so neither of those things are close to what I've been thinking in my head! Shame on grandma though, they're related by blood! Though who knows how often then see each other these days, I'm still betting close to never unless anything's gotten much better over the years.

I've definitely been pronouncing it more like Sah-or-see. Back to hiding in shame! I'm up on my Norse mythology at least!

Show Me the Meaning is the other one.  "Wild and free, I can feel the sun..."   I bought a light-up sign that says "Wild and Free" for my writing room just because it reminded me of BSB songs LOL.

You got me curious, so I looked it up.  Max Martin co-wrote both SMTMOBL and The One, so there's definitely a connection there.  Anywhere for You and Who Needs the World were written by completely different teams of people though, so that one's just a fluke.

Yes, that's it! I knew it was another Millennium, I just couldn't get The One out of my head. Aw, I love that. I only buy those types of things if they're really funny. We have three (plus a Mr. & Mrs. with our wedding date that one of my friends made us): "Dear Coffee, I love you. That's all!," "Conserve water, drink wine," and "This house is built on love and shenanigans."

It's only a fluke unless Nick changed it. "Moon" is clearly in the right spot because of the loose rhyme with "you," but it's possible it was originally stars first, then sun and Nick either flubbed it up on accident or said "it sounds better the other way." We'll never know. I'm going to pretend it was a Nick choice, it makes me smile.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 03:09:53 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #574 on: January 18, 2021, 03:17:45 PM »

Okay, so neither of those things are close to what I've been thinking in my head! Shame on grandma though, they're related by blood! Though who knows how often then see each other these days, I'm still betting close to never unless anything's gotten much better over the years.

I've definitely been pronouncing it more like Sah-or-see. Back to hiding in shame! I'm up on my Norse mythology at least!

Irish/Gaelic names are hard!  So many are not spelled anywhere close to phonetically, for English-speakers anyway.  I'm guessing Jane has never met Saoirse and probably hadn't even spoken to Nick before that interview.  I think he pretty much cut her out of his life after the way she treated Lauren before their wedding.  And this is when Aaron was being awful to him too, accusing him of being a serial rapist and all that bullshit.  Nick is better off without them.  I'm glad he seems to get along well with Lauren's family - and he has a good relationship with Angel, too.  It's nice to see him so happy.

~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #575 on: January 18, 2021, 03:24:32 PM »

Here's my three-day weekend writing update:

I finished "Chapter 20" last night, but it was so long, I ended up breaking it into two chapters, so now I'm also done with 21.  And since I have 21 chapters instead of 20, I will probably end up calling the last one 22 instead of an epilogue so I don't have to end on an odd number, because that would make my OCD sad.

Long story short, Bethlehem is a few pages from being finished!  Yay!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #576 on: January 18, 2021, 03:31:05 PM »

Irish/Gaelic names are hard!  So many are not spelled anywhere close to phonetically, for English-speakers anyway.  I'm guessing Jane has never met Saoirse and probably hadn't even spoken to Nick before that interview.  I think he pretty much cut her out of his life after the way she treated Lauren before their wedding.  And this is when Aaron was being awful to him too, accusing him of being a serial rapist and all that bullshit.  Nick is better off without them.  I'm glad he seems to get along well with Lauren's family - and he has a good relationship with Angel, too.  It's nice to see him so happy.

I think phonics is difficult in general and many languages have many words where the phonetic syllables are not standard. Japanese is the only one coming to mind that has hard an fast rules that if you see a syllable, it's going to be pronounced exactly the way you think it will be.

I missed out on a bunch of that wedding drama, but I did see all the Aaron being awful bs. I'm glad that Nick gets along well with Lauren's family, has his own little happy family, and has a good relationship with at least one of his siblings (though on a whole, he's for sure better off without the whole lot).

On the Aaron is dramatic train, I did enjoy an article I read once that was something akin to "Aaron's tattoo artist recommends against a face tattoo." And I was like, yo Aaron, if even your tattoo artist is saying not to get a face tattoo, don't get a face tattoo! haha
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #577 on: January 18, 2021, 03:32:25 PM »

Here's my three-day weekend writing update:

I finished "Chapter 20" last night, but it was so long, I ended up breaking it into two chapters, so now I'm also done with 21.  And since I have 21 chapters instead of 20, I will probably end up calling the last one 22 instead of an epilogue so I don't have to end on an odd number, because that would make my OCD sad.

Long story short, Bethlehem is a few pages from being finished!  Yay!

Whoo! You're a champ! Don't make your OCD sad and write that Chapter 22!

I hate when they get so long. That Brian chapter rewrite, I was like "Oh no, I want to split this up, but I can't have 51 chapters!"
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #578 on: January 18, 2021, 04:18:26 PM »

Whoo! You're a champ! Don't make your OCD sad and write that Chapter 22!

I hate when they get so long. That Brian chapter rewrite, I was like "Oh no, I want to split this up, but I can't have 51 chapters!"

I know!  It was almost 6000 words, and most of my chapters are closer to 3000.  Sometimes I'll let them go long if it's all one continuous scene with no obvious stopping point, but this one already had two scenes that were each around 3000 words, so it just made the most sense to split it.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #579 on: January 18, 2021, 04:22:25 PM »

I know!  It was almost 6000 words, and most of my chapters are closer to 3000.  Sometimes I'll let them go long if it's all one continuous scene with no obvious stopping point, but this one already had two scenes that were each around 3000 words, so it just made the most sense to split it.

Yeah, when they get to 6,000 words, I feel like there's no point in keeping it together. I feel bad when they're really one scene that keeps going though, especially if I want to switch the viewpoint character. I've been consciously more aware of the head hopping after that Brian chapter, but then I'm always like "If Nick didn't end up unconscious, this would be fine."

I'm slowly realizing with these ending chapters of PBox that they might end up longer when they're already long. Maybe I still overwrite, haha.  I'm trying to get better!
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #580 on: January 18, 2021, 04:55:12 PM »

That's okay though.  A lot of published novels have longer chapters than most fanfics.  I'd rather have them all be different lengths than try to chop them up in places that don't make sense.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #581 on: January 18, 2021, 05:02:21 PM »

That's true! I guess I don't notice it as much in a published novel because the table of contents doesn't tell me "Get ready to read 5,000 words that are all great, but it's a lot!" ;) I figure as long as the repetitive overwrites are going away, like so and so nodded their head, then it's fine if a little extra is need for clarity.

Instead of editing today, I'm working on the weirdest project about word usage because of something someone wrote in a review once: "You open a lot of chapters talking about darkness." So I wondered, just how often do I talk about darkness? Let's find out!
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #582 on: January 18, 2021, 05:21:25 PM »

LOL!  I like to look for patterns in my writing too.  Sometimes I get deja vu and think, "Did I write this exact line in another story?"  So then I go searching to see.  Sometimes I discover that I actually did LOL.  And sometimes it's just deja vu.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #583 on: January 18, 2021, 05:25:26 PM »

I've been working on this chapter of If I Knew Then and it's been difficult because like I said before, it's a Brian centric chapter. It's a out his heart surgery. I am having a bit of trouble with how I want this one to go because I know a lot of my readers are excited to read it and I don't want to disappoint them. Not to mention I never really go into details when it comes to medical stuff cause I don't know anything about it. So that's a bit challenging for me as well.

Either way I feel like this chapter might take me a little longer to write. I did watch some videos with Brian talking about the surgery and those helped a little bit.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #584 on: January 18, 2021, 05:34:54 PM »

LOL!  I like to look for patterns in my writing too.  Sometimes I get deja vu and think, "Did I write this exact line in another story?"  So then I go searching to see.  Sometimes I discover that I actually did LOL.  And sometimes it's just deja vu.

I love and hate when that happens. And I find that I do, I'm like, do I use it again? Was it really that great hat it needs to go twice? Who knows?

The other fun part of my project is "Just how often do Nick and Minako say the other's name?" Because it feels like a lot and often loudly. I went through the first ten chapters and was like "Good job Nick, that wasn't that bad." Whereas Minako was basically like "Nick Nick Nick Nick Nick Nick Nick Nick..." ad nauseam. Minako, at least try to pass the Bechdel test as much as you can, will you? And Minako got a little better in the next ten chapters, but then Nick doubled, so I'm not sure where we stand. I'm hoping that it gets better as they have more and different people to talk to in the next ten chapters, haha.
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 50