Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 146211 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #600 on: January 18, 2021, 11:00:16 PM »

Okay, update I got it to work finally. I guess my chrome book didn't like me talking shit about it

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #601 on: January 18, 2021, 11:06:24 PM »

Glad you got it to work!  I had it bookmarked from a long time ago, but my bookmark took me to Google Books in a different language and said it couldn't find that book?  So I tried just looking it up again and was able to find it that way.

He also did an interview on Larry King around the time this book was published and talked about it there too.  That may be the one you already watched, but if not, look for it on YouTube.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #602 on: January 18, 2021, 11:18:39 PM »

Okay, update I got it to work finally. I guess my chrome book didn't like me talking shit about it

Technology knows when you're talking bad about it. It's why printers never print when you're in a hurry, haha.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #603 on: January 19, 2021, 04:49:00 PM »

Here's a question for the day in honor of Julie finishing Bethlehem:

What do you do when you finish a story? Any fun rituals? How long do you give yourself before you start your next project to reset from one story to the next?
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #604 on: January 19, 2021, 06:11:18 PM »

Here's a question for the day in honor of Julie finishing Bethlehem:

What do you do when you finish a story? Any fun rituals? How long do you give yourself before you start your next project to reset from one story to the next?

Yay!

I don't really have any fun rituals.  Sometimes I celebrate with a drink, but I didn't do that last night.  I'm already thinking about my next project.  I've pretty much decided which idea I'm gonna try to start next, unless a new idea pops up between now and then.  I'm not sure if I will start writing it this weekend or wait awhile.  I've been in a good routine of writing every weekend, so part of me would like to stick with it, but after spending this past weekend glued to my computer, it also might be nice to not write this weekend and catch up on other things instead.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #605 on: January 19, 2021, 06:21:07 PM »

That's kind of how I'm feeling about being done editing. Do I stay glued and go right back to chunking away at PNecklace? Do I catch up on tv? Do I go back to hardcore organizing the house?  :shrug:

I don't know that I have rituals either because it's been so long since I've finished anything substantial. So if I used to do anything, I've long forgotten. On Wednesdays after I update on here and when I update my note where I keep track of word counts/day, I always finger high five my little PBox Nick doodle (because his hand is too small for a real high five). That's probably the extent of it.

I don't have an answer to the reset question either for the same reason.

I've also been meaning to ask, how long does this thread go before it gets a second one called "2 Writing 2 Thread"?
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #606 on: January 19, 2021, 06:41:56 PM »

LOL I remember feeling that way, back when I would go years between finishing stories because they were all so long, and I was so busy.  I forgot what it felt like to finish one.  It's exciting and satisfying, but then there's also that bittersweet sense of "What do I do now that this is over?"

A couple related questions for everyone: 

What story felt most satisfying to finish and why? 

Which of your unfinished projects (if you have more than one) would you most like to finish?

~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #607 on: January 19, 2021, 06:46:45 PM »

We could start a new thread anytime!  This one got long quickly LOL.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #608 on: January 19, 2021, 06:53:24 PM »

LOL I remember feeling that way, back when I would go years between finishing stories because they were all so long, and I was so busy.  I forgot what it felt like to finish one.  It's exciting and satisfying, but then there's also that bittersweet sense of "What do I do now that this is over?"

Well, I think when I finished PBox the first time, it was definitely "I never want to look at another fantasy again." Definitely stretched myself too thin back then.

Any story I finished? haha! It did feel pretty nice to finish the ~150,000 word juggernaut that was PBox. In this edit, it's definitely creeping closer to 200,000, so here we are.

Which of your unfinished projects (if you have more than one) would you most like to finish?

Other than current projects? Probably Gobosei, especially with our recent Backstreet Project chatter.

Anything else I started writing is definitely lost to the past. But Gobosei was always one I wanted to finish that unfortunately got pushed to the side for PBox.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #609 on: January 19, 2021, 06:54:08 PM »

We could start a new thread anytime!  This one got long quickly LOL.

But now we're at 41 pages... Can't just leave a thread on 41 pages.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #610 on: January 19, 2021, 06:55:02 PM »

But now we're at 41 pages... Can't just leave a thread on 41 pages.

Let's start a new one at 50.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #611 on: January 19, 2021, 06:55:37 PM »

Let's start a new one at 50.

A nice, round even number. Perfect!
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #612 on: January 19, 2021, 07:00:09 PM »

Well, I think when I finished PBox the first time, it was definitely "I never want to look at another fantasy again." Definitely stretched myself too thin back then.

Any story I finished? haha! It did feel pretty nice to finish the ~150,000 word juggernaut that was PBox. In this edit, it's definitely creeping closer to 200,000, so here we are.

Other than current projects? Probably Gobosei, especially with our recent Backstreet Project chatter.

Anything else I started writing is definitely lost to the past. But Gobosei was always one I wanted to finish that unfortunately got pushed to the side for PBox.

I definitely know that feeling!  And I agree, finishing anything feels satisfying!  Do you think you'll go back to Gobosei when you're all done with PNecklace, or would you rather start something new?
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #613 on: January 19, 2021, 07:11:46 PM »

Finishing By My Side was really satisfying because it was so long.  I was and still am proud of that!

Finishing Sick as My Secrets was satisfying because I took a long break in the middle of that one while I was getting my master's, so it felt good to come back to it and complete it.

Finishing A Heart That Isn't Mine was satisfying in the same way it feels to get off a rollercoaster that was fun to ride, but also made you nauseous... so part of you is like, "Thank god this is over," and another part is like, "Let's go again!"

But maybe the most satisfying one to finish was Song for the Undead, if only because it felt so good to see a collaboration (that started as a joke) through to the end.  Most of my collaborations fizzle out and never get finished, so to stick with one for seven years and give it a definite ending was an awesome accomplishment .

I have to go with Guilty Roads because it has the most potential and the most readers wanting to see it finished.  Maybe someday.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #614 on: January 19, 2021, 07:20:55 PM »

I definitely know that feeling!  And I agree, finishing anything feels satisfying!  Do you think you'll go back to Gobosei when you're all done with PNecklace, or would you rather start something new?

I mean, there is that "Nick is Brian's guardian angel" story that might be calling me, haha.

I actually have the next two and a half chapters of Gobosei written from way back when, but never posted. Plus some random ramblings from different points in the story. I peeked over it a moment ago since I remembered that I'd written at least something that I never posted and found this gem of a joke:

Nick put both hands on the floor excitedly.  “She said she wanted to be a pop star, we could make her our opening act!”

Brian mimicked dialing a phone, “Hey, EYC, listen, you guys have been great so far, but we’ve decided to replace you with someone without a record label or any songs or references.  We hope you understand.”  Brian stared right at Nick and pretended to hang up the fake phone.

Nick rolled his eyes, “Okay…  Well if she can sing, she can probably dance.  We can make her one of our background dancers!”

Brian cleared his throat.  “Hey Backstreet dancers, we’ve called this meeting to let you know that you’re disappointing us.  We can’t say who in particular really, you just are.  So we’re replacing one of you with this girl halfway through the tour!  Of course she doesn’t have to audition.  Dance off!!”

Nick rolled his eyes again, “Brian, Brian, Brian, I get it…  The joke is old.  Stop…”

Howie blinked, “Nick’s annoyed at Brian’s jokes?  We really have seen everything tonight.”
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 50