Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The Reading Thread  (Read 21687 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: The Reading Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2021, 12:19:29 PM »

The stuff I chose to post over on AO3 have very few reviews but a few kudos. I think there’s so much being posted on that site and so many fandoms, unless you already have a loyal following there you kind of get lost in the shuffle. I think at this point, we are considered the oldies so most have read them or the newer people might just skip right past because our pen names aren’t as familiar. At least mine. I had been nice getting a few random reviews for things out of the blue.

As for AO3, I know I've said this before, but I think the culture there is just different from here.  It seems like the most popular genre is angsty slash, so if that's not what you write, you're probably not going to get as much attention.  I've had trouble finding the kind of stories I really like to read there.  But that's exactly why we should keep posting ours there, so there's more variety.

You guys are oldies. I'm "who?" haha

I agree, the more variety we have, the more chances we have to create a wider fandom selection again. I know this has been discussed ad naseum over the years, so we don't need to keep discussing it here, but if there were ever donations solicited to help AC with new code, I would help.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2021, 09:18:00 PM »

Throwing a different kind of reading question out there:  What device/medium do you prefer to read on? Tablet/e-reader, phone, computer, actual paper book...?

I'm ready to throw out my second Kindle Fire, which I bought to replace my first Kindle Fire after I could no longer charge it because the charging port became too loose and wouldn't even hold the cord, let alone actually charge the device.  Same exact thing has happened to the second one.  I will always love paper books, but I've been converted into more of an e-reader person because of the convenience of being able to read in bed without needing a light and collect books without them taking up shelf space I don't have.  I loved my Kindle, but I will never buy another one because there is obviously a design flaw with the damn charging port.  Trying to decide if I should invest in a different brand of tablet or just use my phone and/or Chromebook for now.  And also just curious to find out how everyone else likes to read, whether published books or fanfics.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2021, 09:31:04 PM »

I couldn't bring myself to get any kind of e-reader, I love the smell of printed ink and paper too much. Physical books forever! I usually just use my phone though if I'm reading something on the internet; my tablet got too heavy after a while.

Sorry the kindle has a weird charging port. That's crummy that it keep happening.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2021, 09:34:55 PM »

I never thought I would prefer a screen to a paper book, but I got the first Kindle as a Christmas gift, and it won me over.  Besides reading, I also used it for watching videos and listening to podcasts as I fall asleep.  I can use my phone for that stuff too, but the bigger screen without the bulk of a laptop was nice.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2021, 09:41:24 PM »

If it's lightweight, it's probably not too bad. I never found one that I liked and worried a lot about missing the feeling of a book, but then I've also never minded reading fanfics on a computer and it's basically the same thing. I'm hoping everyone else can give you great ereader recommendation s!
~*Dee*~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2021, 04:08:48 AM »

If you are looking for an e-reader, my Nook is still working great and I’ve had that for a really long time. I wanna say for at least 8 years. I never thought I’d read anything electronically but I got one with all the B&N gift cards I received from my students that year. I do have to admit, I still tend to prefer reading a physical book over using the Nook, but it comes in handy that you can just buy them and there they are ten seconds later.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2021, 12:09:13 PM »

Yes, so convenient!  I'm glad your Nook has lasted so long.  The only thing I'm not sure about with a Nook is if all the Kindle books I've already bought are compatible with it.  I think they're different formats.  I would want something I could use the Kindle app with so I can still access my collection.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2021, 05:32:08 PM »

Yeah, I’m not sure if they are compatible. They probably aren’t. Bummer!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2021, 06:26:01 PM »

Since you did a nice google search for me, I did a quick one on this. You would have to convert them to a epub file, which seems like a hassle, but is doable. You can get the kindle app on several devices as long as they're sold and/or supported by amazon, so maybe that's the route you go to look for a new e-reader?
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2021, 09:55:28 PM »

Thanks!  That's why I thought, that Nook wasn't compatible.  I have converted some of my stories into e-reader format, and I knew Nook and Kindle had different file extensions.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2021, 10:17:38 PM »

That sounds like a hassle too, but one I'm sure your readers are grateful for!
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2021, 10:27:31 PM »

It wasn't too bad when it worked correctly.  I used a program called Calibre that you could upload a doc or pdf to and convert it into ebook format.  It seems kind of unnecessary now that everyone has smartphones, but when I first started doing it, it wasn't as easy to read fanfics on the go.  Now that's how most visitors access my site - on mobile devices.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2021, 10:44:29 PM »

It's interesting that you can see how people access (unless you did a poll or soemthing)! I think a phone is easier because unless you're loudly doing something on it, most people don't really creep on your phone as much as they do larger devices like tablets, e-readers, or laptops.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2021, 10:51:07 PM »

Yeah, my site stats on Wordpress tell me stuff like where people come from and what platform/browser they use.  Almost 60% use mobile devices!  It's kind of interesting.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2021, 10:55:20 PM »

Fascinating! Have you always been on wordpress or did you make the switch? I seem to recall wordpress not really being a thing before 2009?
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5