Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 50

Author Topic: 2 Writing 2 Thread  (Read 122206 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: 2 Writing 2 Thread
« Reply #675 on: March 07, 2021, 10:43:53 AM »

Would you say that all of your Nicks are really different from each other or mostly those two in particular?

Not necessarily.  Curtain Call is the only time I can remember making a conscious effort to make him different from a previous characterizati on of him, mostly just because there were some obvious similarities between the two stories, but I didn't want them to feel too similar.  I hope both characters still seem like the Nick Carter we all "know" and love, but different versions of him.  Broken Nick was definitely emo, early-twenties "Do I Have to Cry for You?" Nick, whereas Curtain Call Nick is a more mature and subdued thirty-year-old Nick.

One of the neat things about writing real person fanfic is that you're writing about, well, real people who grow and change themselves over time.  So the way I write Nick may be slightly different from story to story depending on the time period it takes place in and what kind of situation I put him into.  But at the end of the day, he will always have certain character traits that I see in the real Nick and hopefully be recognizable as him.

This is a good question for anyone else to answer about whichever boy(s) you've written multiple stories about.  Is your characterizati on pretty much the same across different stories, or do you make them different from each other?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #676 on: March 07, 2021, 10:50:43 AM »

I loved Curtain Call so I was really happy to see some fun stuff about that story Julie  :)

Thanks, Tracy! :)  I know it's been a long time, but do you remember preferring to read one POV over the other?
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #677 on: March 07, 2021, 12:42:31 PM »

I'm also laughing that Dee caught my tag line of writing fanfic by moonlight because that is definitely a sailor moon thing. I'm a massive fan of that anime. During my cosplay days I used to dress as Super Sailor Moon. I also had the schoolgirl uniform too and a princess Serenity costume.

Oh, I caught it a long time ago, but it was not relevant to bring up! ;) I was Sailor Moon once for Halloween, but it was lazily put together with things I already owned. The blonde wig I bought was not great quality and it showed! I'm always impressed with the people who put such care and time into their costuming.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #678 on: March 07, 2021, 01:11:46 PM »

Not necessarily.  Curtain Call is the only time I can remember making a conscious effort to make him different from a previous characterizati on of him, mostly just because there were some obvious similarities between the two stories, but I didn't want them to feel too similar.  I hope both characters still seem like the Nick Carter we all "know" and love, but different versions of him.  Broken Nick was definitely emo, early-twenties "Do I Have to Cry for You?" Nick, whereas Curtain Call Nick is a more mature and subdued thirty-year-old Nick.

That's true, you did spend so much time writing Broken/BMS that by the end of it, it wasn't "real time" and Nick was able to grow as a person during that time period and provide some new/different aspects of himself for the next story. It's good that Broken Nick was emo and not ghetto fab, haha.

One of the neat things about writing real person fanfic is that you're writing about, well, real people who grow and change themselves over time.  So the way I write Nick may be slightly different from story to story depending on the time period it takes place in and what kind of situation I put him into.  But at the end of the day, he will always have certain character traits that I see in the real Nick and hopefully be recognizable as him.

This is a good question for anyone else to answer about whichever boy(s) you've written multiple stories about.  Is your characterizati on pretty much the same across different stories, or do you make them different from each other?

I think the situation makes a big difference on what characteristic s get played up. Obviously Nicks in stressful situations will do different things than Nicks in day-to-day whatevering.

I think my Nicks tend to stand out to me as being from their works, that what's going on around them determines what comes out more. I've talked about PBox Nick ad naseum, but he's got all that masked vulnerability, "get back upness," and pluckiness. Whereas Gobosei Nick would be defined by his "stoked as hell" and "roll with the punches" attitude. For a stark contrast, let's call Beta Sigma Beta Nick "lost" and "a bitter ahole," haha. Even though they're not all finished, I feel like characterizati on was fleshed out enough in these to list them. Please ignore any romances I started and never finished.

To be fair, though, I'm sure those latter two Nicks had some other things going on, they just didn't get a chance to be as solid in who they were; contrast PBox Nick who has 64 written chapters (let's estimate about 192,000 words at bare minimum) of character development to his name plus however many more chapters he ends up with as time goes on... I'm sure it will surpass the hundreds. I only say 64 (as opposed to 78) since he didn't appear in every chapter of PBox.

But they all still felt like Nick to me.

This might be the follow-up question to that. What has to be there for it to feel like each of the Boys. Like if something isn't there, do they just feel off? Whether that's a big thing or a little thing?
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #679 on: March 07, 2021, 01:49:33 PM »

He has a very cute laugh!  Did you see the video he shared of him reacting to old videos of himself?  https://youtu.be/6QawjXmEeRU  So cute!!!

While my husband is at the gym, haha. I didn't realize it was only from a couple of days ago. Not sure how I missed it.

Aw, so cute! I like the "No Goodbyes" version too, but he's right, it's just not quite the same. And him tearing up about his wedding, aww. That's my one regret about not hiring a videographer is not having our ceremony to watch my husband tear up.

I laughed so hard at the 8 Simple Rules portion (also his 1992 pants). I remember laughing so hard watching it back in the day. "Hey! I won a hat!" I'd argue that other than the exaggerated facial expression, the delivery of that felt genuinely spot on. "I am not an actor. At least I can sing?" lmao
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #680 on: March 07, 2021, 03:28:50 PM »

In response to the question about Disney, my favorite ride is Haunted Mansion although the Voyage of The Little Mermaid is a close second. I didn't get to ride a lot of the rides but I did meet lots of the characters which was fun too. I wish I'd gotten a picture with Buzz or Woody like Nick and Brian did in Finding Carter lol.

Speaking of that story that's another fun fact, Nick calls Brian Woody cause he's so country in that story. Brian calls Nick Buzz cause he likes outer space lol.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #681 on: March 07, 2021, 04:25:31 PM »

That's true, you did spend so much time writing Broken/BMS that by the end of it, it wasn't "real time" and Nick was able to grow as a person during that time period and provide some new/different aspects of himself for the next story. It's good that Broken Nick was emo and not ghetto fab, haha.

LOL I started that story at just the right time, between super hot Now or Never Nick and the ghetto fab phase.  He was too busy barfing his guts out and getting his leg chopped off to get his nipples pierced and start hanging out with Tommy Lee.  Too bad, Nick!  But yes, that took him on a different path that also did not include abusing drugs or dating Paris Hilton, so he was better for it.

I think the situation makes a big difference on what characteristic s get played up. Obviously Nicks in stressful situations will do different things than Nicks in day-to-day whatevering.

Yep, I agree.  And when you put him into a situation he's never actually been in before in real life, like getting attacked by a bear or being a demon, all you can do is use his real life character traits to guess at what he would do in that situation.  And because he's a real person with a lot of different sides to his personality, you can make him react a lot of different possible ways and still make it seem realistic.  That's the fun of writing fanfic!

This might be the follow-up question to that. What has to be there for it to feel like each of the Boys. Like if something isn't there, do they just feel off? Whether that's a big thing or a little thing?

I almost asked this follow-up last night and then decided to wait and see if someone else thought of it too.  So I'm glad you did!

For Nick, I think he needs to be charismatic, playful, and have strong emotional reactions, whether he's cracking up laughing, flying into a temper, or breaking down into tears.

For Brian, I think it's his sense of humor, his faith, and his devotion to his family.

For AJ, I think it's quirkiness and his fierce loyalty to his family and friends (including the other guys).

For Kevin, I think he has to show some elements of that protective big brother persona.

For Howie, I think he has to be sweet and supportive.

It's funny because as soon as I started listing these, I started thinking of instances where these character traits are intentionally subverted.  Like the stories where Howie is a villain.  Is that why it's fun to make Howie a villain, because it goes against his entire persona?

I have definitely written stories where the Boys start out the way I see them in real life and then change throughout the story as a result of the circumstances they face.  In Curtain Call, I made Nick moody, but not in a melodramatic, outwardly emo way like Broken Nick.  Instead of wearing his heart on his sleeve, he bottled up everything inside because he was hiding a lot and trying to keep up appearances.  In Song for the Undead, Brian lost everything he cared about early on in the story, including his family and his faith, and spent a large part of the story trying to find himself again.  In my current story, Kevin is going to have to lean on his little brothers and let them take care of him instead of the other way around.  And then there's Howie in 00Carter LOL.  The only one I can't think of a personal example for is AJ... he's pretty always quirky and loyal in my stories LOL.  But I guess in Song for the Undead, we made him a lone wolf in the beginning who became loyal to his found family as the story progressed.

So in summary, I'm not sure that the traits I listed absolutely have to be there throughout the whole story, as long as there's a reason for them not to be.  They could be there in the beginning and change, or not be there in the beginning and develop as the story goes on.  But I do think they need to appear at some point for the Boys to feel like the Boys to me.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #682 on: March 07, 2021, 04:29:40 PM »

While my husband is at the gym, haha. I didn't realize it was only from a couple of days ago. Not sure how I missed it.

Aw, so cute! I like the "No Goodbyes" version too, but he's right, it's just not quite the same. And him tearing up about his wedding, aww. That's my one regret about not hiring a videographer is not having our ceremony to watch my husband tear up.

I laughed so hard at the 8 Simple Rules portion (also his 1992 pants). I remember laughing so hard watching it back in the day. "Hey! I won a hat!" I'd argue that other than the exaggerated facial expression, the delivery of that felt genuinely spot on. "I am not an actor. At least I can sing?" lmao

LOL At least he's self-aware of his acting abilities, or lack thereof.  But I hope he makes more movies because they're always entertaining.  And he's right; he does have a lot of other talents.

I loved him tearing up watching the wedding video too!  Who would have thought Ghetto Fab Nick would grow up to be this sweet, sentimental family man?  Aww!  I'm so proud of him.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #683 on: March 07, 2021, 06:11:31 PM »

In response to the question about Disney, my favorite ride is Haunted Mansion although the Voyage of The Little Mermaid is a close second. I didn't get to ride a lot of the rides but I did meet lots of the characters which was fun too. I wish I'd gotten a picture with Buzz or Woody like Nick and Brian did in Finding Carter lol.

Speaking of that story that's another fun fact, Nick calls Brian Woody cause he's so country in that story. Brian calls Nick Buzz cause he likes outer space lol.

Yaaassss! Haunted Mansion is my absolute favorite! It's the only ride I've insisted on riding whenever I've gone. Though, drinking around the world at Epcot is now a close second after having done that "ride."

Aw, those are cute little nicknames for those reasons.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 06:14:01 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #684 on: March 07, 2021, 06:42:17 PM »

LOL I started that story at just the right time, between super hot Now or Never Nick and the ghetto fab phase.  He was too busy barfing his guts out and getting his leg chopped off to get his nipples pierced and start hanging out with Tommy Lee.  Too bad, Nick!  But yes, that took him on a different path that also did not include abusing drugs or dating Paris Hilton, so he was better for it.

It's hard to abuse drugs and find the time to date Paris Hilton when you're too busy barfing your guts out and getting your leg chopped off. ;) Or when you're too busy being a demon with magical powers, lol. It's good he has us to help him through his early twenties. lmao

Yep, I agree.  And when you put him into a situation he's never actually been in before in real life, like getting attacked by a bear or being a demon, all you can do is use his real life character traits to guess at what he would do in that situation.  And because he's a real person with a lot of different sides to his personality, you can make him react a lot of different possible ways and still make it seem realistic.  That's the fun of writing fanfic!

You know, we don't know for sure that he hasn't fought a bear. Maybe it was really traumatic and he doesn't like to talk about it. haha I think it's because he's a reactor that he gets to experience all this craziness. He definitely wears his heart on his sleeve; it's why he's a terrible liar.

I almost asked this follow-up last night and then decided to wait and see if someone else thought of it too.  So I'm glad you did!

For Nick, I think he needs to be charismatic, playful, and have strong emotional reactions, whether he's cracking up laughing, flying into a temper, or breaking down into tears.

For Brian, I think it's his sense of humor, his faith, and his devotion to his family.

For AJ, I think it's quirkiness and his fierce loyalty to his family and friends (including the other guys).

For Kevin, I think he has to show some elements of that protective big brother persona.

For Howie, I think he has to be sweet and supportive.

Great minds think alike, of course! Also because these are the exact things I would have listed as well. I think the only thing I would add is that it feels like more often than not, Kevin falls into "only sane man" territory with the others. Although, that may be less true now that he's not "the most adult wrangling in the children because Howie's too nice to put them in their place." Call that a "Classic Backstreet Hallmark."

Alright! Unless anyone disagrees with us, we have officially established our bare minimum cannon. We've had a productive weekend after not being sure what to talk about.

It's funny because as soon as I started listing these, I started thinking of instances where these character traits are intentionally subverted.  Like the stories where Howie is a villain.  Is that why it's fun to make Howie a villain, because it goes against his entire persona?

So in summary, I'm not sure that the traits I listed absolutely have to be there throughout the whole story, as long as there's a reason for them not to be.  They could be there in the beginning and change, or not be there in the beginning and develop as the story goes on.  But I do think they need to appear at some point for the Boys to feel like the Boys to me.

I think if they're intentionally subverted, it's one of those things we fill in (like Nick just garnering mass sympathy because of "common background knowledge" even when he's being a jerk). We say "Oh, normally they're like this, so something has clearly happened to make it the opposite. Let's find out why." I think it's fun to intentionally subvert them, take them to their logical extremes, and push them up against conflict. I mean, we all eventually get tired of "playing it straight," no?

That's probably exactly why Howie is most likely to be the villain! Intentional subversion or unintentional subversion to make him more "interesting." I'd hope everyone does it on purpose, but as mentioned yesterday, I'm trying to be better about not projecting my opinions on people. Trying.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 07:03:37 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #685 on: March 07, 2021, 06:46:07 PM »

LOL At least he's self-aware of his acting abilities, or lack thereof.  But I hope he makes more movies because they're always entertaining.  And he's right; he does have a lot of other talents.

I loved him tearing up watching the wedding video too!  Who would have thought Ghetto Fab Nick would grow up to be this sweet, sentimental family man?  Aww!  I'm so proud of him.

"I suck at acting, lol." Just add it to the resume you don't actually have or need, Nick. I'm into him making other movies, but I don't know if I'd enjoy him being in other peoples' movies as much. Unless AJ was directing and wanted Nick specifically or something.

I always figured he had it in him! Especially after having been a lost early 20-something myself! (Admittedly with less ghetto fab-ness; I think it's a guy thing.) He just needed to make sure he was surrounding himself with the right people (which is easier said than done).
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #686 on: March 07, 2021, 07:05:10 PM »

Yaaassss! Haunted Mansion is my absolute favorite! It's the only ride I've insisted on riding whenever I've gone. Though, drinking around the world at Epcot is now a close second after having done that "ride."

Aw, those are cute little nicknames for those reasons.

Epcot is my favorite park. The margaritas in Mexico were so good. I want to go back again and do more of Epcot cause I didn't see enough. We ate at that restaurant that's underwater, I can't remember the name of it off hand. But it's the same one that Danny and Vicki ate at in Full House during the Disney World episode. The food was so good, and we got to watch them feeding the fish in the aquarium. It was really cool. I also love the Misison Earth ride. Hell I just really enjoyed Epcot.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #687 on: March 07, 2021, 07:36:31 PM »

Epcot is my favorite park. The margaritas in Mexico were so good. I want to go back again and do more of Epcot cause I didn't see enough. We ate at that restaurant that's underwater, I can't remember the name of it off hand. But it's the same one that Danny and Vicki ate at in Full House during the Disney World episode. The food was so good, and we got to watch them feeding the fish in the aquarium. It was really cool. I also love the Misison Earth ride. Hell I just really enjoyed Epcot.

The margs were great! I loved that cute little British pub with the phonebooth too. I mostly took silly photos with all of the landmarks. We ended up eating at one of little restaurants just outside of Epcot near the hotels. Can't remember which one though! That underwater restaurant sounds awesome! Our trip was planned the day of going because we were woefully unprepared for Disney World and only semi-prepared for the bowl game we actually went to see, haha. I did get a "It's my birthday" button and some black and gold Minnie ears, though, so that was fun.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #688 on: March 07, 2021, 09:36:40 PM »

Oh man, you just brought back a memory, but I don't know if it's a real memory or a false one.  I feel like I also ate at that underwater restaurant with my family when I went to Epcot as a kid, but I don't know if that really happened or if I am remembering it from that Full House episode LOL.  I've only been to Epcot once, when I was 11.  It was my least favorite park at the time because it had the fewest rides.  I'm sure I would enjoy it more as an adult now that I can drink my way around the world LOL.  I'll have to ask my parents if they remember us eating at the underwater restaurant.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #689 on: March 07, 2021, 09:48:58 PM »

It's good he has us to help him through his early twenties. lmao

Yeah, his memoir was a good read and all, but our versions of how his early twenties could have gone were even more interesting. LOL

You know, we don't know for sure that he hasn't fought a bear. Maybe it was really traumatic and he doesn't like to talk about it. haha I think it's because he's a reactor that he gets to experience all this craziness. He definitely wears his heart on his sleeve; it's why he's a terrible liar.

We also don't know for sure that he's not a demon.  Maybe his wings are invisible or retract into his back.  You're right, though; Nick has much better reactions than, say, mild-mannered Howie.  Howie fighting a bear would not be nearly as fun to write or read about.  Sorry, Howie.  That's why I prefer you as Dr. Rough.

Great minds think alike, of course! Also because these are the exact things I would have listed as well. I think the only thing I would add is that it feels like more often than not, Kevin falls into "only sane man" territory with the others. Although, that may be less true now that he's not "the most adult wrangling in the children because Howie's too nice to put them in their place." Call that a "Classic Backstreet Hallmark."

Alright! Unless anyone disagrees with us, we have officially established our bare minimum cannon. We've had a productive weekend after not being sure what to talk about.

I think if they're intentionally subverted, it's one of those things we fill in (like Nick just garnering mass sympathy because of "common background knowledge" even when he's being a jerk). We say "Oh, normally they're like this, so something has clearly happened to make it the opposite. Let's find out why." I think it's fun to intentionally subvert them, take them to their logical extremes, and push them up against conflict. I mean, we all eventually get tired of "playing it straight," no?

That's probably exactly why Howie is most likely to be the villain! Intentional subversion or unintentional subversion to make him more "interesting." I'd hope everyone does it on purpose, but as mentioned yesterday, I'm trying to be better about not projecting my opinions on people. Trying.

Great minds do think alike!  Glad we've established our canon.  It turned out to be a fun, chatty weekend!

I do think subverting these "canon" characterizati ons is how you keep things interesting while writing story after story about the same characters in different situations and avoid using the same cliched stereotypes.  Like, Kevin is the big brother of the group, but that doesn't mean he should always be bossing the other guys around, especially in a present day story.  Brian is religious, but that doesn't mean he prays all the time.  Howie does more than wink.  (I forgot to include the winking on my list.  I love how winking is the one characteristic we kept intact in 00Carter LOL.)
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 50