Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 50

Author Topic: 2 Writing 2 Thread  (Read 141256 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: 2 Writing 2 Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2021, 01:17:36 PM »

Otters are so cute!  I wish I could buy you one for your birthday.  Happy birthday, Mare!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2021, 02:19:40 PM »

LOL! Thanks! I wish they were a thing here!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2021, 03:09:39 PM »

Oh and to answer your question from the first page, Dee about why otters? i love them! That's pretty much it. If I can't own one, having one as my spirit animal is the closest I'll ever get.

They are cute! Especially when they sleep together holding hands. :)

Since you can't own one, may I suggest Sea Otter Foundation or the WWF? Almost the same as owning an otter, but none of the poop!

I hope you're having the happiest of birthdays! :bighug:
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2021, 03:11:05 PM »

My story did well on AO3, but I'm not sure how many of the reviews I got from people I didn't know were from ER fans vs. BSB fans.

The most popular character in ER fanfic seems to be Kerry Weaver... who is almost an original cast member, but not quite (she came in during Season 2).  Still, I never thought of her as a fan favorite, so it was surprising to see so many stories about her and her various girlfriends from the later seasons of the show.  It would be like if BSB fanfic was dominated by Howie stories LOL.

It would be fun if you could track that!

That's interesting; I would have for sure thought Clooney. I think it's about time BSB fanfic was dominated by Howie stories. Howies need love too!
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2021, 03:18:09 PM »

I can’t really think of any other circumstance where names were chosen for a purpose. I usually use names of people that I know.

How does it feel writing the story with characters named after people you know? Do you put aspects of those people into them or is it just a name for the sake of a name?

Does one of your characters hold a special place in your heart? If so, why?
Nick in Finding Carter. He was on a journey in that story and it felt so good to see him find what he was looking for, which is his family.

Aww!

Do you often put aspects of yourself into your characters?.
Nick in the Nick and Amanda series is very much like me.

I noticed that you said your Nicks end up most like you. Why would you say that is over other characters?

I just keep picturing the scene with him trying to milk a cow and thinking the rooster was going to kill him xD

LMAO! Roosters are shady!

Go back to that character you said holds a special place in your heart and think about the other characters in their story. They can only use each character once, so which character from their story would they pick to:

a. be trapped in the wilderness with? (can be frigid or tropical wilderness) Why?

Nick would probably want to pick Brian because Brian grew up on a farm and knows how to live off the land. So does Kevin. Kevin raised him. So maybe he would actually go with Kevin. Nick in Finding Carter would not be able to fend for himself, especially hunt for food. I just keep picturing the scene with him trying to milk a cow and thinking the rooster was going to kill him xD

b. spend the night in a haunted house with? Why?  Nick would most likely choose Brian. Brian is braver than he is. Well, except for when his daughter was born in the spin off called Finding Littrell.

e. be on the Amazing Race with? Why?   He’d choose Brian because he loves to go on adventures with Brian.

Nick cheated and chose Brian three times. I self-assumed the first one was changed to Kevin, but which is his once Brian? And then who is the other one? haha
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 03:28:31 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2021, 03:36:03 PM »

In case anyone was wanting to keep track:

Everyone who answered so far has picked a Nick as a character that holds a special place in their heart. And so far those Nicks have decided that:

Go back to that character you said holds a special place in your heart and think about the other characters in their story. They can only use each character once, so which character from their story would they pick to:

a. be trapped in the wilderness with? (can be frigid or tropical wilderness) Why?

100% Kevin would be the best person to be trapped in the wilderness with.

b. spend the night in a haunted house with? Why?

33% An OC from their story, 33% Brian, 33% inconclusive results

c. have for a boss? Why?

66% AJ, 33% Howie

d. pull off a heist with? Why?

66% Howie, 33% AJ

e. be on the Amazing Race with? Why?

33% Brian, 33% An OC from their story, 33% inconclusive results

And because these are fun anyway, here's the self with the Boys results:

Which Boy would you pick to:

33% Brian, 66% Kevin: Overall, the Nicks agree with us.

b. spend the night in a haunted house with? Why?

66% Nick, 33% Brian: Nick cannot choose himself, but overall we would pick him if he was a choice.

c. have for a boss? Why?

100% Howie: Overall, the Nicks do not agree with us.

d. pull off a heist with? Why?

33% Kevin, 66% AJ: Overall, the Nicks do not agree with us.

e. be on the Amazing Race with? Why?

33% AJ, 33% Nick, 33% Brian: We need more survey information to determine the best Backstreet Boy to be on the Amazing Race with.
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2021, 03:43:49 PM »

I have failed to write anything since Friday. I hope I'm not burnt out right now. I guess that I just was so anxious to get to Brian's surgery that once I got there my muse went poof.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2021, 03:58:18 PM »

I have failed to write anything since Friday. I hope I'm not burnt out right now. I guess that I just was so anxious to get to Brian's surgery that once I got there my muse went poof.

The same thing happened to me after finishing Chapter 16 of Bethlehem.  I spent so much time and energy working on that whole climactic sequence that once the excitement was over, I kinda came back down and didn't want to write anymore.  But eventually I got back into it, and you will too.  You may just need to take a mental break for a few days and then come back to it.  Or maybe watch Titanic again LOL.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2021, 04:11:31 PM »

The same thing happened to me after finishing Chapter 16 of Bethlehem.  I spent so much time and energy working on that whole climactic sequence that once the excitement was over, I kinda came back down and didn't want to write anymore.  But eventually I got back into it, and you will too.  You may just need to take a mental break for a few days and then come back to it.  Or maybe watch Titanic again LOL.

You wanna talk burn out? I am an expert in burn out! Give yourself a break. You've earned it. All that excitement can be emotionally draining, but if you give yourself the rest you need, you can always make it back. Julie's absolutely right. :)
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2021, 04:29:54 PM »

Lol well I haven't watched Titanic in a few days either so Julie may be onto something haha

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2021, 05:12:12 PM »

Do it, do it!
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2021, 08:59:18 PM »

How's everyone's writing life going this week?

Writing is going much slower than editing was, but I still feel on track to get through my next couple of planned chapters. I added another weird google search to my efforts: "Plants and herbs used in medicines and native to sea level land in Asia." So fun...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 09:01:51 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2021, 09:07:15 PM »

I finished the first scene of Fallen Angel yesterday.  It's like 600 words, but it's a start.

Writing is definitely slower than editing.  I don't know if it requires more mental effort or just a different kind of effort.  As long as you're making progress, don't worry about the pace.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2021, 09:09:04 PM »

They are cute! Especially when they sleep together holding hands. :)

Since you can't own one, may I suggest Sea Otter Foundation or the WWF? Almost the same as owning an otter, but none of the poop!

I hope you're having the happiest of birthdays! :bighug:

I wouldn’t mind otter poop. It was a lovely birthday! Thanks!!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2021, 09:24:56 PM »

I finished the first scene of Fallen Angel yesterday.  It's like 600 words, but it's a start.

Writing is definitely slower than editing.  I don't know if it requires more mental effort or just a different kind of effort.  As long as you're making progress, don't worry about the pace.

Woo! Yay! (We need a cheerleading emoji.) I guess these little guys are the closest:  :wave: That's 600 more words than you had, so I say good work!

I think it's a different kind of mental effort. Since editing you already have something there, but you're trying to improve on it; whereas, if you're writing you're typing it out for the first time from ideas. I'd feel better if my favorite muse was being more nitpicky, I think. But I say all this and I'm halfway done with the chapter I was working on, so it's really all fine in the grand scheme of things. I think I'm just worried that I'm being lazy because I didn't try to commit to "write ____ words in the month of February" or "edit ____ chapters so they're ready to post by Wednesday." All I have is "edit your one chapter per week, also write if the mood strikes." Feels weird.
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 50