Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 50

Author Topic: 2 Writing 2 Thread  (Read 122952 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: 2 Writing 2 Thread
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2021, 09:25:29 PM »

I wouldn’t mind otter poop. It was a lovely birthday! Thanks!!

Braver than me! Glad it was lovely!
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2021, 09:53:18 PM »

I've been trying to write. Got to 50 words yesterday and I'm up to 200 today. It's going very slow. I'm working on it.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2021, 05:57:42 PM »

I've been trying to write. Got to 50 words yesterday and I'm up to 200 today. It's going very slow. I'm working on it.

That's 250 more words than before! Go Tracy!  :wave:
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2021, 06:05:38 PM »

Today I got to over 2,000 so I updated  ;D

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2021, 07:18:11 PM »

Knew you could!
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2021, 08:51:02 PM »

I actually had a very productive writing day. I finished the chapter of If I Knew Then that I was working on, and I edited some on the story that I am planning to post when If I Knew Then is finished. Right now that story has been titled “History” but I might go with a different title, I’m not sure. I have been making some changes on the chapters I’ve been holding on Google Docs for the past year or so. I’m actually really tempted to start posting it but I think I am going to hold off.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2021, 09:21:12 PM »

That is productive! How is it working on two stories at once? I find that when I do it, I get pretty scatter-brained.
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2021, 09:29:29 PM »

I have done it before but I don't like to do it cause like you, I do get scattered. I've had these chapters written for about a year or so. So it's not like I'm actually writing them, it's mostly just editing some. Plus not posting them gives me something to work on if I've got a block.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2021, 09:32:56 PM »

Woo! Yay! (We need a cheerleading emoji.) I guess these little guys are the closest:  :wave: That's 600 more words than you had, so I say good work!

I think it's a different kind of mental effort. Since editing you already have something there, but you're trying to improve on it; whereas, if you're writing you're typing it out for the first time from ideas. I'd feel better if my favorite muse was being more nitpicky, I think. But I say all this and I'm halfway done with the chapter I was working on, so it's really all fine in the grand scheme of things. I think I'm just worried that I'm being lazy because I didn't try to commit to "write ____ words in the month of February" or "edit ____ chapters so they're ready to post by Wednesday." All I have is "edit your one chapter per week, also write if the mood strikes." Feels weird.

Thanks!

That's where I am too - "Write if the mood strike" - and it is weird.  Not that I set specific goals before, but at least with Bethlehem, I had the pressure of knowing I needed to stay ahead of what I was posting.  Now there's no pressure except knowing I have to write to be able to post this story eventually.  If I had started this in the summer, I would be further along by now, but during the school year, if I can write something every weekend, I'm doing well.  I don't even try on weeknights unless I'm really inspired or in the middle of a daily writing streak I want to keep going.

I just realized it's been a long time since I started a new novel any time of year other than summer or winter break.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2021, 09:36:12 PM »

I have done it before but I don't like to do it cause like you, I do get scattered. I've had these chapters written for about a year or so. So it's not like I'm actually writing them, it's mostly just editing some. Plus not posting them gives me something to work on if I've got a block.

I think there's value in having a backup story, that way if you're not inspired on one, you might be inspired on the other. :) Editing is its own fun adventure, haha. Hoarding is fun. Join us.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2021, 09:36:32 PM »

I actually had a very productive writing day. I finished the chapter of If I Knew Then that I was working on, and I edited some on the story that I am planning to post when If I Knew Then is finished. Right now that story has been titled “History” but I might go with a different title, I’m not sure. I have been making some changes on the chapters I’ve been holding on Google Docs for the past year or so. I’m actually really tempted to start posting it but I think I am going to hold off.

Way to go!  I knew the words would start flowing again sooner or later.  That's how it usually happens for me too; I'll struggle one day, then have a burst of productivity the next, or vice versa.

I totally get the temptation to start posting the new story, but if it were me, I'd hold off until IIKT was done.  That'll give you longer to bank chapters so you'll have more updates lined up after you finish IIKT.  How close are you to finishing?  It feels like the story is starting to wind down, but I'm not sure what else you have planned.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2021, 09:39:59 PM »

Thanks!

That's where I am too - "Write if the mood strike" - and it is weird.  Not that I set specific goals before, but at least with Bethlehem, I had the pressure of knowing I needed to stay ahead of what I was posting.  Now there's no pressure except knowing I have to write to be able to post this story eventually.  If I had started this in the summer, I would be further along by now, but during the school year, if I can write something every weekend, I'm doing well.  I don't even try on weeknights unless I'm really inspired or in the middle of a daily writing streak I want to keep going.

I just realized it's been a long time since I started a new novel any time of year other than summer or winter break.

I know that pressure will come up, but I've also got updates ready through May, so I'm not in crunch mode yet. Right now I'm just kind of meandering. I took a nap this evening, so my brain is pretty much fried this week,  I think. But I feel you, "eventually" feels like a long way off compared to "every [insert day of the week]."

How's that feel, starting a new novel during a busy time?
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2021, 09:40:38 PM »

Oh yeah the story is very close to being done.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2021, 09:47:51 PM »

Oh yeah the story is very close to being done.

You're so close!

You're both so productive finishing your novels up.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2021, 09:48:36 PM »

I know that pressure will come up, but I've also got updates ready through May, so I'm not in crunch mode yet. Right now I'm just kind of meandering. I took a nap this evening, so my brain is pretty much fried this week,  I think. But I feel you, "eventually" feels like a long way off compared to "every [insert day of the week]."

How's that feel, starting a new novel during a busy time?

I guess that's where the weird feeling is coming from.  I'm not used to starting something new and then only working on it on the weekends.  But I'm not far enough into it yet to feel like attempting to work on it on school nights.  It's kinda nice to have that week to think about the next scene or chapter before I write it because my outline is just a summary and not a specific list of scenes or anything like that.

I've taken an evening nap both nights this week!  I hit a wall around 5:30-6:00, when it's too early to go to bed, but I can't stay away, so I'll go sleep for a couple hours and then get back up for a few more hours.  This is probably not the best habit to get into, but I figure I'll get more sleep in the long run than staying up late without a nap, because inevitably, nap or not, I always get a second wind around 9 p.m. and don't want to go to bed.  At least now I know I've already had a couple hours of sleep to add to whatever I get tonight LOL.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 50