Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 50

Author Topic: 2 Writing 2 Thread  (Read 141378 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: 2 Writing 2 Thread
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2021, 09:42:53 PM »

For the oxford comma, my favorite is the Hitler and JFK strippers one.

I feel like I would be remiss if I didn't say the ellipses because boy do I love to abuse a good ellipses... but I think I'd go with the em-dash. It's underutilized.

That's a good one too!

Those are both great choices.  Ellipses are great for creating suspense and bringing dialogue to life through pauses and what not.  The em-dash is a very versatile punctuation mark.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2021, 09:44:24 PM »

I think that intrinsic versus extrinsic is the reason to write. Is it as satisfying if you're just doing something for the extrinsic value? Maybe it depends on what the thing is... Creative efforts seem like one that totters on that line.

Definitely not as satisfying.  Has anyone ever forced themselves to finish a story they didn't enjoy writing just to please their readers?  It's not nearly as fun as writing because you want to write, regardless of whether anyone wants to read it.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2021, 09:49:49 PM »

Definitely not as satisfying.  Has anyone ever forced themselves to finish a story they didn't enjoy writing just to please their readers?  It's not nearly as fun as writing because you want to write, regardless of whether anyone wants to read it.

I force myself to finish nothing, even when I am enjoying it! I actually can't think of a time a reader has asked me for anything. Do people really have demanding readers like that? I ask this and know the answer must be yes. Everyone tell me your favorite demand a reader gave you.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2021, 10:00:53 PM »

I force myself to finish nothing, even when I am enjoying it! I actually can't think of a time a reader has asked me for anything. Do people really have demanding readers like that? I ask this and know the answer must be yes. Everyone tell me your favorite demand a reader gave you.

Demand is a strong word, but every once in awhile I'll get a request to write a story for someone.  "Will you write a story about eating disorders?"  "Will you write a story about me and Brian for my birthday?"  Usually it comes from someone I hardly know (or don't know at all) who doesn't give regular (or any) feedback and just kind of pops up out of nowhere.  I made the mistake of writing a story someone suggested to me many years ago (like 2001), and it was one I definitely had to force myself to finish.  I will never do that again, unless it's for an AC challenge or something (and even that is unlikely).

I don't mind the readers who beg for updates because that is motivating.  I don't get many of those anymore, hopefully because I've been so much better at updating regularly the last couple years, but it was a nice kick in the butt back in the day.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2021, 10:08:10 PM »

Demand is a strong word, but every once in awhile I'll get a request to write a story for someone.  "Will you write a story about eating disorders?"  "Will you write a story about me and Brian for my birthday?"  Usually it comes from someone I hardly know (or don't know at all) who doesn't give regular (or any) feedback and just kind of pops up out of nowhere.  I made the mistake of writing a story someone suggested to me many years ago (like 2001), and it was one I definitely had to force myself to finish.  I will never do that again, unless it's for an AC challenge or something (and even that is unlikely).

I don't mind the readers who beg for updates because that is motivating.  I don't get many of those anymore, hopefully because I've been so much better at updating regularly the last couple years, but it was a nice kick in the butt back in the day.

I just kind of figure that if people want things from anyone it's accompanied by exclamation points or caps or something. But you're right, it's not like they're popping into your reviews like "do this for me or I will unleash a computer virus on you!" (the internet equivalent of a stick up?) I don't think I could ever write a story someone had suggested to me in seriousness unless I'd already had a similar idea. Now a joke story, I could take any of those and run with it!

I stumbled on a thread where Mare asked what everyone's posting preferences were and we all basically said, "Why would you have a regular update day and not post something as soon as it's done or at least within a couple of days? That's crazy!" And I thought, oh naive me... An update day is the best!
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2021, 10:30:56 PM »

I stumbled on a thread where Mare asked what everyone's posting preferences were and we all basically said, "Why would you have a regular update day and not post something as soon as it's done or at least within a couple of days? That's crazy!" And I thought, oh naive me... An update day is the best!

LOL!  We were all so young and innocent, and Mare was so wise.  I've been sticking to the weekly updates pretty well since coming back from my unofficial hiatus/slump two years ago.  Sometimes I'll update more often if I have a ton of chapters banked or have finished the story and want to post the rest.  The only reason I haven't started doing that with Bethlehem yet is because if I stick to my schedule, I'll be able to post the last chapter on Brian's birthday.  And that will probably be my last update until summer, when I'll hopefully have enough chapters of something written to start posting it.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2021, 10:43:51 PM »

I luckily do not get many people asking me to write stuff on demand, but I did have to block a girl on Wattpad like a month or so ago because she kept inboxing me asking me to write a story about her and Brian or Brian and a disabled fan that fall in love. I politely told her that I don’t take requests and she wouldn’t leave me alone, so I ended up blocking her.

I also had someone ask me for a story about JC from NSYNC one time too. I’ve written crossovers but I don’t write straight up NSYNC fan fiction. the most I’ve done is them having cameos. I told her again, I don’t do requests. LOL that would be like me saying hey Julie write another story about Nick killing me because two wasn’t enough and I want him to kill me again xD

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2021, 11:18:08 PM »

LOL!  We were all so young and innocent, and Mare was so wise.  I've been sticking to the weekly updates pretty well since coming back from my unofficial hiatus/slump two years ago.  Sometimes I'll update more often if I have a ton of chapters banked or have finished the story and want to post the rest.  The only reason I haven't started doing that with Bethlehem yet is because if I stick to my schedule, I'll be able to post the last chapter on Brian's birthday.  And that will probably be my last update until summer, when I'll hopefully have enough chapters of something written to start posting it.

I don't think Mare said she used an update day either, it was just one of the options in the poll, haha.

You've gotta stick to the update days to post it on Brian's birthday! Then you got 3/5 birthdays while posting.

I could definitely do more frequent updates, since I have 22.5 chapters written. However, my paranoid self knows that I am prone to slumps, so I would rather have a bunch in case I hit an inevitable slump.

Since Bethlehem isn't your first weekly update story, how do your regular readers react when you go from weekly to nothing?
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2021, 11:23:02 PM »

I luckily do not get many people asking me to write stuff on demand, but I did have to block a girl on Wattpad like a month or so ago because she kept inboxing me asking me to write a story about her and Brian or Brian and a disabled fan that fall in love. I politely told her that I don’t take requests and she wouldn’t leave me alone, so I ended up blocking her.

I also had someone ask me for a story about JC from NSYNC one time too. I’ve written crossovers but I don’t write straight up NSYNC fan fiction. the most I’ve done is them having cameos. I told her again, I don’t do requests. LOL that would be like me saying hey Julie write another story about Nick killing me because two wasn’t enough and I want him to kill me again xD

That girl is persistent! I probably would have blocked her too if she kept refusing to take no for an answer.

If an NSYNC fan ever asked me to write something, I would laugh. I obviously have zero qualms killing them all and definitely made almost all of them into aholes. You can absoliutely tell how I felt about each member of NSYNC in 2006.

Can you have enough stories about Nick getting his revenge on the same fanfic authors? I don't think you can.
~*Dee*~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2021, 01:55:42 AM »

Update days were an essential part of my posting. I always used them. My readers always knew when I was going to update and what day it would happen for each story. There were times, which I still can’t believe, that was updating multiple stories at once and had a day for each one. Not even just a day but usually a time as well. I was/am pretty schedule oriented lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2021, 02:02:32 AM »

I used to get a fair amount of will you write a story about this? Emails as well as can you make me Nicks girlfriend requests. Uh...have you met me? I’ll make you his girlfriend and then kill you horrifically about two seconds before your first date.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 02:13:09 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2021, 07:03:17 PM »

Since Bethlehem isn't your first weekly update story, how do your regular readers react when you go from weekly to nothing?

LOL They don't.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2021, 07:04:54 PM »

LOL that would be like me saying hey Julie write another story about Nick killing me because two wasn’t enough and I want him to kill me again xD

If I had an idea, I totally would kill you a third time! LOL

Can you have enough stories about Nick getting his revenge on the same fanfic authors? I don't think you can.

Definitely not!  Kill kill kill!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2021, 07:08:45 PM »

Got the site to show up secure again! Finally! What was I going to do without a live chat during the instagram?
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2021, 07:09:26 PM »

LOL They don't.

Because they have nothing to react to? ;)
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 50