Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 50

Author Topic: 2 Writing 2 Thread  (Read 123085 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: 2 Writing 2 Thread
« Reply #180 on: February 06, 2021, 09:28:22 PM »

They thought they wanted to make a Christmas album, but what they really needed was to survive. And if you're heartless like me, now they get neither.

Hehe... no comment.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #181 on: February 06, 2021, 09:33:10 PM »

Hehe... no comment.

You monster. (I always mean this in the most loving way.)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #182 on: February 06, 2021, 09:39:13 PM »

I laughed really hard at this and I almost felt bad bahahaha

Hehe... no comment.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #183 on: February 06, 2021, 09:59:58 PM »

So do middles lean more toward like or dislike for you? I agree that the beginning can be daunting and waiting with all that excitement to write things you want to write makes them flow out really quickly.

I like middles.  The middle is the meat of the story, where most of the drama happens.

Imagine if we all had to start every story with some sort of "the history of the Backstreet Boys" weaved in. haha! How many times could we all read about Nick talking about the first time he met Brian? Like at that point, I would just rather go watch Nick talking about it and then come back to whatever story.

LOL It would be like every Babysitter's Club book, where Chapter 2 was always the back story about how the BSC was formed and a description of each member.

Would you say, in general, you write more pot-driven stories or more character-driven stories? Or different types at different periods in your body of work? I love happy accidents like that where it just kind of fits.

I'm definitely more plot-driven.  When I plan a story, I tend to think in terms of the plot first and then cast my characters based on which boy(s) will work best for that idea.  Sometimes I'll start with certain characters in mind and craft a plot around them, but that is not my norm.  Character development typically comes as a result of the events in my stories.

First lines are so hard. I'm not sure my are very good half the time. Except for the snail story; that one is gold.

Haha, I can't wait to read it!!

Do you set writing goals for yourself once you've reached and ending or does it just kind of happen that you're writing all the time? Last lines are also hard.

You mean once I've reached the beginning of the ending? (LOL)  I don't set writing goals for myself; I just write when I feel like it.  But being so close to the end usually gives me a burst of inspiration, so I tend to write more often.  Toward the end of A Heart That Isn't Mine, I was writing before and after school just about every day because I was so into it.  That's also why I usually need a break from writing after I finish a story like that so I can clean my house, catch up on my TV shows, and all the other things I neglected while I was in my fanfic bubble LOL.

Deciding on an end for a story at the last chapter sounds stressful! How do you properly build up to it?

It would definitely stress me out not to know what was going to happen well in advance.

I think that's the best personal experience to remind people to not write stories other people requested. Would you be opposed to a sequel if you ever had an idea for a story that did seem like it had more story than the current arc your were working on? Or do you try to avoid those ideas?

I would not be opposed to a sequel if it made sense, but I try to avoid them just because I haven't had the best luck with finishing them.  BMS is the last novel-length sequel I wrote, and thankfully that one was a success, but I held on to that one for a long time before I started posting it on my site because I wasn't sure I would be able to finish it and didn't want it to ruin Broken.  I don't think I've had any fanfic novel ideas since that have demanded a sequel.  I've written a couple of one-shot companions to previously-finished novels, but I don't consider those true sequels as much as, well, companions.  One was just for an April Fools joke anyway.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 10:05:28 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #184 on: February 06, 2021, 10:04:20 PM »

You monster. (I always mean this in the most loving way.)

I am a monster; I'll proudly admit it.  Tracy knows this about me LOL.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #185 on: February 06, 2021, 10:06:18 PM »

Thanks!  That's what I'm thinking too, that I've got time to just tinker for now until I settle into something.  This happens to me almost every time I finish a story.  Last year I lucked out because I ended up working on Heroic Measures and Bethlehem simultaneously, so when I finished one, it was easy to go right back to the other.  That may be what happens with My Brother's Keeper and Fallen Angel until I figure out which one I'm ready to commit to.

That would be exciting if the same thing happened. How nice would that be if when you were in tinkering mode, both stories just kind of hit a stride, but one was slightly more than the other! And two years in a row too.

I think it's okay to have a "when the mood strikes" story too, especially if you make that clear from the beginning. 

As for AO3, you should try including some kinky tags in PNecklace.  If you sort the BSB stories in order of hits, that's what gets the clicks over there. LOL

Might be the way to round out that whole universe. Who knows!

Haha, it's not that kinky. Except for that little subplot I mentioned way back when and that seems like it's not the kinky subplots they seem to be into. If anything, it's more demons physically eating each others' body parts, but not in a sexual way. Although, I did write a part where I deliberately selected words that could be taken in a food context and a sexual context at the same time. As I intended, it upped the creep factor of the whole thing! ;D

I agree with what you said about having two choices.  I've found that the stories that scare or intimidate me usually turn out the best once I work through that fear.

A question for everyone:  What story or chapter were you most nervous about posting?

I agree. There's a reason things scare us in writing and it's usually that we've hit a place where we can grow if we rise to the challenge.

Oh man! So many!

Let's see... I guess I was pretty nervous about Beta Sigma Beta when I first started writing it because it was the first solo story I'd written since PBox and it was outside of part of my niche market on the BSB fanfic world. At that time, I think people that really read my stuff knew me for PBox and Gobosei more than any of my failed other ideas. The other reason was that when I started posting it, I knew that I was planning on flipping back and forth between real time and AU time, but no one reading knew for the first three chapters. So I did worry that people would get to chapter four and stop reading it when I was like "Surprise, this is also partially an AU!" Also Nick was kind of an opinionated dick in that story, haha.

Chapters-wise... Two come to mind right away.

One was PBox ch. 25 "Deep Scars" where I revealed that part of Renee's anger at Minako stemmed from what Renee assumed was implied rape. Which yikes! It was never actual rape, it was all manipulation by Justin... But when I was editing it, I went "Oh geez, this does not sit well in 2020..." So I added a tiny bit that made it seem clearer that it didn't happen. But even back then, I was like "Do I add a trigger warning? Will people hate this?" Anyway... PBox is pretty dark on many occasions... I still worry that it was too much for an already dark story, but as with many other things about it... While I edited and improved, I didn't remove anything that was relevant to the plot or character motivations; only a few filler things where I thought "Oh man, this sounds so stupid... Exactly what an aging teeny would think the fluffiest of romances should touch on so briefly in the most irrelevant moments." Like even Ch. 10 "Heart of Warmth," which got a major rehaul, still has the exact same plot as it did before (Nick apologizes to Minako and says he didn't understand her feelings); it's just better conveyed.

The other was PBox ch. 46 "Chaos" ("God of Chaos" at the time) which featured graphic heart eating (and also I killed off AJ...) I thought, is this heart eating too gross? Like I know I said graphic violence, but... And also AJ died! And I knew if people did not like AJ dying... Well they weren't going to like what I had planned for ch. 47 "Sorry" or ch. 48 "Denouement" either! However, after writing that chapter, I had my six month writer's block, so I guess I never found out one way or another if people hated the Boys dying. None of those chapters ever got reviews on them and no one's ever told me they were mad, so I assumed everyone stopped reading because they were mad or forgot about the story when it went unfinished for so long.

And then of course ch. 47 and ch. 48 again for the whole Boys dying thing... But again. No one ever told me one way or the other. :shrug:
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #186 on: February 06, 2021, 10:08:20 PM »

No spoilers! I like to read my BSB stories when I want to sleep, but can't sleep yet. I'm a few hours away!

I am a monster; I'll proudly admit it.  Tracy knows this about me LOL.

I wrote a whole story about cute demons and then I wrote half of a second one (so far). Clearly I love monsters. But as long as you know, then I will stop trying to make it seem nice. ;)
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #187 on: February 06, 2021, 10:23:49 PM »

Haha, it's not that kinky. Except for that little subplot I mentioned way back when and that seems like it's not the kinky subplots they seem to be into. If anything, it's more demons physically eating each others' body parts, but not in a sexual way. Although, I did write a part where I deliberately selected words that could be taken in a food context and a sexual context at the same time. As I intended, it upped the creep factor of the whole thing! ;D

LOL I know you don't write that kind of kink.  I'm just saying if you add tags like "Cousin Incest," "Anal Fingering," and "Cock Slapping," whether the story actually includes that stuff or not, people will apparently click on it.  Check out the tags on this one, the most clicked on BSB story on AO3: https://archiveofourown.org/works/21715126/chapters/51797743   ???

Let's see... I guess I was pretty nervous about Beta Sigma Beta when I first started writing it because it was the first solo story I'd written since PBox and it was outside of part of my niche market on the BSB fanfic world. At that time, I think people that really read my stuff knew me for PBox and Gobosei more than any of my failed other ideas. The other reason was that when I started posting it, I knew that I was planning on flipping back and forth between real time and AU time, but no one reading knew for the first three chapters. So I did worry that people would get to chapter four and stop reading it when I was like "Surprise, this is also partially an AU!" Also Nick was kind of an opinionated dick in that story, haha.

Chapters-wise... Two come to mind right away.

One was PBox ch. 25 "Deep Scars" where I revealed that part of Renee's anger at Minako stemmed from what Renee assumed was implied rape. Which yikes! It was never actual rape, it was all manipulation by Justin... But when I was editing it, I went "Oh geez, this does not sit well in 2020..." So I added a tiny bit that made it seem clearer that it didn't happen. But even back then, I was like "Do I add a trigger warning? Will people hate this?" Anyway... PBox is pretty dark on many occasions... I still worry that it was too much for an already dark story, but as with many other things about it... While I edited and improved, I didn't remove anything that was relevant to the plot or character motivations; only a few filler things where I thought "Oh man, this sounds so stupid... Exactly what an aging teeny would think the fluffiest of romances should touch on so briefly in the most irrelevant moments." Like even Ch. 10 "Heart of Warmth," which got a major rehaul, still has the exact same plot as it did before (Nick apologizes to Minako and says he didn't understand her feelings); it's just better conveyed.

The other was PBox ch. 46 "Chaos" ("God of Chaos" at the time) which featured graphic heart eating (and also I killed off AJ...) I thought, is this heart eating too gross? Like I know I said graphic violence, but... And also AJ died! And I knew if people did not like AJ dying... Well they weren't going to like what I had planned for ch. 47 "Sorry" or ch. 48 "Denouement" either! However, after writing that chapter, I had my six month writer's block, so I guess I never found out one way or another if people hated the Boys dying. None of those chapters ever got reviews on them and no one's ever told me they were mad, so I assumed everyone stopped reading because they were mad or forgot about the story when it went unfinished for so long.

And then of course ch. 47 and ch. 48 again for the whole Boys dying thing... But again. No one ever told me one way or the other. :shrug:

I think that's a good way to lure people who may not love AU into reading an AU.  Start with canon BSB and then switch to AU after you've sucked them in LOL.  I love genre-bending twists.

The dark stuff is always what makes me nervous to post too, but I've discovered that most fanfic readers, at least the ones I talk to, like dark stuff.  I'm sure there's still the light, fluffy romance lovers, but I don't think they read our stuff LOL.  Graphic heart-eating and death for the win!

It is disappointing when you post something you're expecting a reaction for and get no reviews.  Hence why you should try the kinky tags, hehe.  Just kidding... or am I?
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #188 on: February 06, 2021, 10:24:06 PM »

I like middles.  The middle is the meat of the story, where most of the drama happens.

You know, I hated on middles when I wrote the questions, but I really don't hate middles at all; they might actually be my favorite. They're just hard to come up with "relevant to everyone" questions for.

LOL It would be like every Babysitter's Club book, where Chapter 2 was always the back story about how the BSC was formed and a description of each member.

Ann M. Martin, I loved you... but I always skimmed that chapter for that reason. I had the entire series  as a child, then donated most of it to a book drive my middle school did because I wanted other kids to enjoy the BSC like I had. I kept two books she signed when I met her, so... hopefully they had the money to buy those two books, sorry!

I'm definitely more plot-driven.  When I plan a story, I tend to think in terms of the plot first and then cast my characters based on which boy(s) will work best for that idea.  Sometimes I'll start with certain characters in mind and craft a plot around them, but that is not my norm.  Character development typically comes as a result of the events in my stories.

I think we've discussed this before, since I'm the opposite. I will always lean in favor of characters over plot, but I don't know that I ever start by thinking something like "I want to write a story about Howie. Now... what does Howie do?" It's more, here's an idea with a place to start and a possible ending. What they do in the middle... That's on them!

You mean once I've reached the beginning of the ending? (LOL)  I don't set writing goals for myself; I just write when I feel like it.  But being so close to the end usually gives me a burst of inspiration, so I tend to write more often.  Toward the end of A Heart That Isn't Mine, I was writing before and after school just about every day because I was so into it.  That's also why I usually need a break from writing after I finish a story like that so I can clean my house, catch up on my TV shows, and all the other things I neglected while I was in my fanfic bubble LOL.

Yes, the beginning of the ending! What a weird phrase. I'm still amazed that you wrote that both before school and after school. It's impressive. And I feel you on the break. That was kind of me this week. Also since the first week is kind of busy with one of my volunteer positions anyway.

I would not be opposed to a sequel if it made sense, but I try to avoid them just because I haven't had the best luck with finishing them.  BMS is the last novel-length sequel I wrote, and thankfully that one was a success, but I held on to that one for a long time before I started posting it on my site because I wasn't sure I would be able to finish it and didn't want it to ruin Broken.  I don't think I've had any fanfic novel ideas since that have demanded a sequel.  I've written a couple of one-shot companions to previously-finished novels, but I don't consider those true sequels as much as, well, companions.  One was just for an April Fools joke anyway.

I didn't know that! How long did you hold on to BMS after you finished Broken? Were you still posting Broken when you started writing BMS or was it already complete?

I think a one-shot companion is different, because it doesn't necessarily have to take place at the end of the story. It could just be a fun middle thing you wanted to write, but never did. Those ones just happened to take place after the main plot.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #189 on: February 06, 2021, 10:24:49 PM »

No spoilers! I like to read my BSB stories when I want to sleep, but can't sleep yet. I'm a few hours away!

I wrote a whole story about cute demons and then I wrote half of a second one (so far). Clearly I love monsters. But as long as you know, then I will stop trying to make it seem nice. ;)

I love monsters too, so I took it as a compliment!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #190 on: February 06, 2021, 10:45:44 PM »

Ann M. Martin, I loved you... but I always skimmed that chapter for that reason. I had the entire series  as a child, then donated most of it to a book drive my middle school did because I wanted other kids to enjoy the BSC like I had. I kept two books she signed when I met her, so... hopefully they had the money to buy those two books, sorry!

That's so cool that you got to meet her!  I still have all my BSC books.  I used to have them all in my classroom, but none of the kids wanted to read them, so I boxed up all but the first five and took them home.  I keep trying to get girls who have read the new graphic novel versions to try the originals, but they say they can't get into them.  Kids today!  I realize they are very 80s, so they probably seem too outdated.

I think we've discussed this before, since I'm the opposite. I will always lean in favor of characters over plot, but I don't know that I ever start by thinking something like "I want to write a story about Howie. Now... what does Howie do?" It's more, here's an idea with a place to start and a possible ending. What they do in the middle... That's on them!

LOL I have done the "I want to write a story about [insert Backstreet Boy here].  Now... what does he do?" thing before.  Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.  I got a nice little short story out of going, "I wanna write a Howie/Brian story... because no one ever writes about the two of them together."  (I'm not talking about slash though.)  Of all the Boys, Howie and Brian are the two that don't seem to have a special bond with each other within the group, at least not that they have really shown us.  So I thought about what a story about Howie and Brian would entail and decided it would have to center around Nick because, to me, that is the common denominator - they both have/had a close friendship with Nick.  So I wrote a little story about Howie and Brian bonding over something bad happening to Nick.

So with PBox, do you remember what your original idea was?  My ideas tend to come about like, "I want to write a survival story," or "Maybe the Boys quarantine together in some remote location to work on the Christmas album, and something bad happens."  What does that sound like for a character-driven idea?

I didn't know that! How long did you hold on to BMS after you finished Broken? Were you still posting Broken when you started writing BMS or was it already complete?

I actually forgot I did that until I was looking back at my old site updates while blogging about BMS for my site's anniversary last year.  I started BMS in March 2004, right after finishing Broken, but didn't start posting it on my site until April 2005, when I was already 50+ chapters in.  Before that, I was only sharing chapters on a Yahoo Group I had created for Broken readers who really wanted to read it in its early stages.  Obviously once I was that far into it, I knew I was good to go, but I was really worried about it in the beginning.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #191 on: February 06, 2021, 10:47:27 PM »

LOL I know you don't write that kind of kink.  I'm just saying if you add tags like "Cousin Incest," "Anal Fingering," and "Cock Slapping," whether the story actually includes that stuff or not, people will apparently click on it.  Check out the tags on this one, the most clicked on BSB story on AO3: https://archiveofourown.org/works/21715126/chapters/51797743   ???

OMG! ??? How many people are actually reading it and how many are clicking on it just for the tags?!?! I was not about to read any of that, but I just had to see what these tags were and I can't imagine it doesn't have other clicks for that reason too. Also, I like to leave cousin incest out of my stories, because Kevin and Brian may be from Kentucky, but they both deserve a non-incestuous relationship.

I think that's a good way to lure people who may not love AU into reading an AU.  Start with canon BSB and then switch to AU after you've sucked them in LOL.  I love genre-bending twists.

The dark stuff is always what makes me nervous to post too, but I've discovered that most fanfic readers, at least the ones I talk to, like dark stuff.  I'm sure there's still the light, fluffy romance lovers, but I don't think they read our stuff LOL.  Graphic heart-eating and death for the win!

It is disappointing when you post something you're expecting a reaction for and get no reviews.  Hence why you should try the kinky tags, hehe.  Just kidding... or am I?

I also love genre-bending twists! It was my favorite part of the idea. But then I had no ideas for anything and... No more Beta Sigma Beta.  :-[

I'm sure there's a list that the fluffy lovers keep that says "The following authors are into some dark things: ..." That way, they know to avoid us. Which is too bad, because I like to offset the dark with a lot of fluffy things, like loving romances and bromances. Thanks for enthusiastical ly supporting my dark choices; I support your dark choices as well.

You're not kidding, but also kinky heart eating could be spoiler? And I don't like to tag my spoilers. Hence "Chose not to add warnings."

A question for everyone:  What story or chapter were you most nervous about posting?

I thought of another one, but I haven't posted it yet... Which is probably why I didn't think of it the first time. There's an upcoming chapter of PNecklace that I'm actually very nervous to post for entirely different reasons than dark or graphic anything (I ultimately decided the part that would have been graphic was too graphic and mentioned, but not in great detail). I guess, for anyone reading PNecklace, you'll know which one it is when you see it. I'm also very excited to post it. I guarantee that you'll know which one it is. So tell me what you think somehow... Smoke signals... Registering for an account here... Snail (but not killer snail) mail... Telepathy... Whatever...
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #192 on: February 06, 2021, 11:06:26 PM »

OMG! ??? How many people are actually reading it and how many are clicking on it just for the tags?!?! I was not about to read any of that, but I just had to see what these tags were and I can't imagine it doesn't have other clicks for that reason too. Also, I like to leave cousin incest out of my stories, because Kevin and Brian may be from Kentucky, but they both deserve a non-incestuous relationship.

LOL!  I have not clicked on that one, but I admit, I have clicked on others with some kinky tags (the Baylee gang-bang one comes to mind) just to see if they were for real, and... yep.  They were.  The Kentucky cousin incest is about as bad as Brian encouraging the other guys to rape his son, but at least Kevin and Brian are consenting adults.

I'm sure there's a list that the fluffy lovers keep that says "The following authors are into some dark things: ..." That way, they know to avoid us. Which is too bad, because I like to offset the dark with a lot of fluffy things, like loving romances and bromances. Thanks for enthusiastical ly supporting my dark choices; I support your dark choices as well.

They're missing out!  I like a little fluff and comic relief to offset the darkness too.  Thanks!

You're not kidding, but also kinky heart eating could be spoiler? And I don't like to tag my spoilers. Hence "Chose not to add warnings."

Same.  I don't know that I've written anything I would call kinky, but the most fetishy thing I've written is not on AO3 yet... and when I do post it there, I will not be including tags that spoil its content, even if it means attracting fewer readers.  I hate spoilers.

I wonder if there's a good word for kinky heart eating?  Let's see what Google has to say...

Found it:  cardiophagy

https://hecatejoannes.tumblr.com/post/137920565268/cardiophagy-aka-cardiophagia-noun-the-practice
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #193 on: February 06, 2021, 11:27:28 PM »

I love monsters too, so I took it as a compliment!

As you should!

That's so cool that you got to meet her!  I still have all my BSC books.  I used to have them all in my classroom, but none of the kids wanted to read them, so I boxed up all but the first five and took them home.  I keep trying to get girls who have read the new graphic novel versions to try the originals, but they say they can't get into them.  Kids today!  I realize they are very 80s, so they probably seem too outdated.

I remember that it was awesome, but I do not remember what I asked her or said, haha. Some of the kids in my class read The Boxcar Children and I can't imagine that those books are any less outdated than BSC, but I also don't think there's a new version. So that might be it. There's a new version they relate to better, so why would they read the older version? I also think there are many very well-written graphic novels with excellent stories, so I figure as long as they're enjoying the BSC, it doesn't matter to me if the story is conveyed in only words or a combination of words/pictures. They do miss out on the way feelings and scenery are described, but it's similar to a movie in that respect. You intuit a lot more.

LOL I have done the "I want to write a story about [insert Backstreet Boy here].  Now... what does he do?" thing before.  Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.  I got a nice little short story out of going, "I wanna write a Howie/Brian story... because no one ever writes about the two of them together."  (I'm not talking about slash though.)  Of all the Boys, Howie and Brian are the two that don't seem to have a special bond with each other within the group, at least not that they have really shown us.  So I thought about what a story about Howie and Brian would entail and decided it would have to center around Nick because, to me, that is the common denominator - they both have/had a close friendship with Nick.  So I wrote a little story about Howie and Brian bonding over something bad happening to Nick.

I was glad you had some Brian&Howie (That's how you designate the platonic version in other fandoms, but not sure if we've picked up on it as much over here in BSB; I don't read other fandoms' fanfic, but I've seen it.) in Bethlehem. I think they get overlooked because whatever special bond they may have, they don't show us. Maybe they just tolerate each other in the collective? That would be so sad... :( I think Nick is good common denominator when we're not sure on their personal specifics.

So with PBox, do you remember what your original idea was?  My ideas tend to come about like, "I want to write a survival story," or "Maybe the Boys quarantine together in some remote location to work on the Christmas album, and something bad happens."  What does that sound like for a character-driven idea?

But of course! Please see below:

I think I've mentioned before that PBox began as a weird dream, but I'm not sure who remembers that after this long. There was a demon carrying a girl through the dark and they picked up a box from an altar, but that weird and random demon had Nick's face. And I wonder now if this was more a case of "your brain can't make up faces and you fall asleep staring at the same five faces every day" than "you remembered this weird dream, this is a sign to write this story," but here we are. So I just started thinking and writing. How would this girl end up with these demons? Why was there a box? If Nick is a demon, then the other Boys should be demons, but why are the Boys demons? What are demons like? I planned out the first few and then puzzled through the last question as I wrote. I hadn't figured out what I was doing exactly by the time Nick was introduced (two chapters in, oh noes), but I had decided that if he was found in hiding, then maybe he didn't know his powers.

I've said before that I'm a questioner more than an outliner, so "Why was there a box?" became closely tied to the question "Why do the demons want the box?" And they had their collective reasoning, but PBox et al. spans the big question of "what defines us/me/you?" for all of the characters. I think this is vague enough without being a spoiler... Character motivations is really where I start since they're driving the plot along. After all, Nick has changed endings on me twice so far based on what he ends up doing, so I've just given up on planning too much without his input. I may as well say it. Y'all heard it here first: PNecklace does have a defined end that will close this arc. The whole story does as well, but it's not in PNecklace. Sometimes I hate Nick and his epic story so much (and this is why I've been calling it "PBox et al." when I speak of them collectively).

So our buddy Nick started from "I want the box because it's obvious the thing I don't have is sealed in it: my memories." (And he was kind of right, but not exactly.) And the story happened and his motivation became: "I do not want the box, because I don't actually care about whether or not I have my old memories. I actually want to keep my 'family of choice' and our memories that I've gotten from all of this. But they want the box, so I guess box?" And now we're on to PNecklace where he's like "Well, I guess I need my memories after all to help solve this next problem... So, yay? But I can't let them define me, I still want my 'family of choice' and our memories instead." And where he ends up at the end... Well... You'll see. ;) It's all fun. He's very busy trucking the plot along with his plucky gumption.

I actually forgot I did that until I was looking back at my old site updates while blogging about BMS for my site's anniversary last year.  I started BMS in March 2004, right after finishing Broken, but didn't start posting it on my site until April 2005, when I was already 50+ chapters in.  Before that, I was only sharing chapters on a Yahoo Group I had created for Broken readers who really wanted to read it in its early stages.  Obviously once I was that far into it, I knew I was good to go, but I was really worried about it in the beginning.

Wow, a whole year! I'm not surprised because I know you had other things going on at the time, but it felt like they were a lot closer together and I don't know why I'm thinking that. Were you posting other things during that time or just BMS on the Yahoo Group? Did you change anything based on comments from your early readers or did it all mostly stay the same?
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #194 on: February 06, 2021, 11:41:22 PM »

LOL!  I have not clicked on that one, but I admit, I have clicked on others with some kinky tags (the Baylee gang-bang one comes to mind) just to see if they were for real, and... yep.  They were.  The Kentucky cousin incest is about as bad as Brian encouraging the other guys to rape his son, but at least Kevin and Brian are consenting adults.

You made me add to the hit count when you haven't?! Now I'm part of the problem! LMAO. I did not click that one, but saw it when it was being updated and said "Yikes!" That's the one thing Kentucky cousin has going for it, both parties are consenting adults. I guess I don't really care what people do in their free time as long as everyone is a consenting adult, even if I don't necessarily like it. However, that doesn't mean I want to read about it, because that's not what I like to do with my free time.

They're missing out!  I like a little fluff and comic relief to offset the darkness too.  Thanks!

Same.  I don't know that I've written anything I would call kinky, but the most fetishy thing I've written is not on AO3 yet... and when I do post it there, I will not be including tags that spoil its content, even if it means attracting fewer readers.  I hate spoilers.

I wonder if there's a good word for kinky heart eating?  Let's see what Google has to say...

Found it:  cardiophagy

https://hecatejoannes.tumblr.com/post/137920565268/cardiophagy-aka-cardiophagia-noun-the-practice

Oh yes, I forgot about comic relief.

I was fine with "graphic violence," as always, because it's just there. I did add it here for PNecklace even though there actually hasn't been anything too bad yet. Just because I want people to know that this isn't a lighter and fluffier continuation of PBox.

I'm not big on spoilers either, but when speaking on PBox I also figure there's gotta be a time limit for considering something a spoiler. Like the Vader is Luke's father thing or Snape kills Dumbledore... Everyone knows those by know or consciously decided they didn't want to consume the media so... I'd never tag a story with spoilers (that fine line between "Death" and "Major Character Death"), but I feel like talking about them 10 years later is an eh for me. Now call me a monster if you vehemently disagree!

I would have guessed something like cardiophagy, because cardiophillia doesn't quite grasp on the eating aspect. Rule 34?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 11:43:44 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 50