Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 50

Author Topic: 2 Writing 2 Thread  (Read 122482 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: 2 Writing 2 Thread
« Reply #255 on: February 10, 2021, 08:57:52 PM »

At least stuff happened in Mockingjay, but I tried watching Part 1 of that and didn't finish it.  I haven't even gotten to Part 2 LOL.  I've never seen Part 2 of Breaking Dawn all the way through either, but like I said, I already know nothing actually happens in that one, so no big loss there.

After the way the books went, there was no way that I was watching any of the other movies! I enjoyed the first two Hunger Games movies, but also only watched part of Part 1.

Ugh, watching/listening to yourself on video is the worst!

Do you ever find that when you're busy and have no time to write or other obligations you need to fulfill before you can write, all you want to do is write... but then when you finally find yourself with free time to write, you waste it?  I'm terrible about that.  I'll spend all week looking forward to writing on the weekend and then be totally unproductive when the weekend rolls around.

I think it's because we sound different in our heads. That and outside of my classroom, I tend to be a horrendous public speaker. I hate it so much and it's only gotten marginally better over the years. At least now I can do it at all, even though I fumble through it.

Yes, always. Sometimes I'll try to carve out time to do it at the end of the day if I know I'll want to. I'll also jot notes for myself more along the lines of an outline if something is really trying to come out and I'm busy. But it won't be bad and unhelpful like "Kevin's power to heal is awesome if he fights with it," which is a terrible jot. It would be something more like... I'm trying to think of a PBox example I can summarize... Oh, here we go. "Nick's panicking against the wall of the inn and talking out loud to himself. Brian strolls up in all his priest gear. Nick says 'How do you know so much about me?' or something. Brian dances around the issue because he's a jerk. etcetera, etcetera."

I've been trying to be better about managing my "all the time in the world" in various ways. If I'm trying to write, I definitely sit at my desk away from the tv or other things I would distract myself with. But if I'm doing research, I will let myself engage in distractions in the background. Also if I wake up with ideas, I've been diligent to not get out of bed until they're all out on the paper, even though it means writing on my phone. Because I know that if I get up, I'll make coffee and talk to my husband and clean out pantry for a minute and... then I'll sit down and the spark will be gone.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #256 on: February 10, 2021, 09:00:50 PM »

Hopefully it got moved to a secret board and not deleted.  That was a good thread!

As much as the plagiarism thing sucked, that Tanja drama was so entertaining!  She really united all us BSB authors against her.

It's probably safe somewhere that Mare can discuss with Julilly and Ash in private!

It was when we were new buddies, an "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" thing, and brought out all our best creativity back in the beginning to really bond us.

Also, I still laugh to this day anytime someone says "I like horses." So hard every time.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #257 on: February 10, 2021, 09:13:51 PM »

Also if I wake up with ideas, I've been diligent to not get out of bed until they're all out on the paper, even though it means writing on my phone. Because I know that if I get up, I'll make coffee and talk to my husband and clean out pantry for a minute and... then I'll sit down and the spark will be gone.

I do best when I stay in bed and write for as long as I can too.  I'll get up to make coffee and bring it back to bed, but as soon as I go shower or turn on the TV, I'm done.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #258 on: February 10, 2021, 09:14:31 PM »

It was when we were new buddies, an "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" thing, and brought out all our best creativity back in the beginning to really bond us.

Also, I still laugh to this day anytime someone says "I like horses." So hard every time.

All of this! LOL
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #259 on: February 10, 2021, 09:24:25 PM »

I do best when I stay in bed and write for as long as I can too.  I'll get up to make coffee and bring it back to bed, but as soon as I go shower or turn on the TV, I'm done.

Tomorrow is a later start for me, so I'm debating whether I try to get up early to sit down and be productive or hang out in bed and see what happens. I guess it depends on when I wake up in the morning, haha. Can't wait until the week is over.

What are some other odd places we all write in our homes? We've all talked about our inspiration spaces, writing near our holiday decorations, writing in bed, writing in the shower... Anyone write outside? Or in closets? Of my very few memories of childhood, I remember that my father used to keep a desk in the closet and would sit in there when he really wanted to focus on writing or researching (since we lived in a small apartment). So I had to fend for myself and make up stories with my Littlest Pet Shops, so thanks for forcing me to be creative, haha. However, being a child, I did not articulate this well and described it as "My Daddy hides in the closet when I want him to play with me." lmao
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2021, 09:35:46 PM »

What are some other odd places we all write in our homes? We've all talked about our inspiration spaces, writing near our holiday decorations, writing in bed, writing in the shower... Anyone write outside? Or in closets?

I used to write outside on occasion when I lived in my apartment.  The apartment complex was built around a lake with a lighted fountain in the middle, so it was pretty at night.  I would sometimes go write on my patio on late summer nights, if the mosquitoes weren't too bad LOL.  I haven't done that as much since moving into my house because my neighbors' houses are really close, and I can't write if I feel like someone's watching me.

Of my very few memories of childhood, I remember that my father used to keep a desk in the closet and would sit in there when he really wanted to focus on writing or researching (since we lived in a small apartment). So I had to fend for myself and make up stories with my Littlest Pet Shops, so thanks for forcing me to be creative, haha. However, being a child, I did not articulate this well and described it as "My Daddy hides in the closet when I want him to play with me." lmao

LOL!!

Are you an only child?

I used to make up stories with my toys too, especially Barbies and American Girl dolls.  I would also direct my sister and the neighbor kids in acting out my little stories.  We called it "making movies," although we never filmed them - it was just endless "rehearsal" LOL.  But looking back, that was the beginning of my fiction "writing," even though it was all made up on the spot and never written down.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #261 on: February 10, 2021, 10:34:43 PM »

I used to write outside on occasion when I lived in my apartment.  The apartment complex was built around a lake with a lighted fountain in the middle, so it was pretty at night.  I would sometimes go write on my patio on late summer nights, if the mosquitoes weren't too bad LOL.  I haven't done that as much since moving into my house because my neighbors' houses are really close, and I can't write if I feel like someone's watching me.

I haven't written outside yet because it's hard enough trying to look at my phone while wearing sunglasses, I can't imagine typing for hours in the sun while listening to trains whiz by, haha. But my husband likes to sit outside in the summer, so maybe I'll sit with him this spring and do some writing.

That lake/fountain set up sounds beautiful!

LOL!!

Are you an only child?

I used to make up stories with my toys too, especially Barbies and American Girl dolls.  I would also direct my sister and the neighbor kids in acting out my little stories.  We called it "making movies," although we never filmed them - it was just endless "rehearsal" LOL.  But looking back, that was the beginning of my fiction "writing," even though it was all made up on the spot and never written down.

Yup, it's just me. Only child of divorced parents. That's probably part of why "THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP" speaks to me so much, haha.

I also loved to "make movies," but my friends hated the endless "rehearsal." It had to be just right! I think we all just had stories in our hearts that wanted out.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #262 on: February 10, 2021, 11:02:41 PM »

Someone has subscribed to me on AO3, but it doesn't tell me who. I wish they would just review if they've decided that I'm worthy of an author subscription. The dynamics of that place are so odd. Alas, if only efiction wasn't so wonky. I'd rather just hang out here with my family.

Also, can we play Binog again?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 11:28:26 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #263 on: February 11, 2021, 02:22:31 AM »

It was me who subscribed  :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #264 on: February 11, 2021, 07:21:34 PM »

I haven't written outside yet because it's hard enough trying to look at my phone while wearing sunglasses, I can't imagine typing for hours in the sun while listening to trains whiz by, haha. But my husband likes to sit outside in the summer, so maybe I'll sit with him this spring and do some writing.

That lake/fountain set up sounds beautiful!

I don't think I've ever written outside during daylight for the same reason.  (And also because I'm a creature of the night - the sunlight, it burns!)  I used to only go outside to write at like 2 a.m. when all the neighbors were asleep LOL.

The lake/fountain was honestly really pretentious, and the apartment complex would brag about it and use it as their excuse to raise the rent every year.  "But... our majestic fountain!"  I'm glad I don't live there anymore, although I do miss the duck friends I made there LOL.  I had a trio of ducks who would walk right up onto my patio, knock on my sliding glass door with their bills, and eat out of my hand.  They were so cute!

Yup, it's just me. Only child of divorced parents. That's probably part of why "THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP" speaks to me so much, haha.

I also loved to "make movies," but my friends hated the endless "rehearsal." It had to be just right! I think we all just had stories in our hearts that wanted out.

Aww, that makes sense.  You're like AJ!

LOL That was my friends and me too.  Most of the neighbor kids I played with in the summer or after school were younger than me, so I was super bossy and told everyone what to do and say.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #265 on: February 11, 2021, 07:22:15 PM »

It was me who subscribed  :)

Yay!  :-* See, now that I know, I can say: Thank you!

The anonymity of it all doesn't leave a lot of room for interaction or gratitude.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #266 on: February 11, 2021, 07:23:31 PM »

Someone has subscribed to me on AO3, but it doesn't tell me who. I wish they would just review if they've decided that I'm worthy of an author subscription. The dynamics of that place are so odd. Alas, if only efiction wasn't so wonky. I'd rather just hang out here with my family.

Also, can we play Binog again?

I thought it was weird too that you can't tell who subscribes to your stories or account.  AC forever!

I would play Binog again if others want to.  It's a much smaller group nowadays!
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #267 on: February 11, 2021, 07:25:14 PM »

I've mostly written at home or at the break room table at my night job. I tried over the summer to write in the backyard but I never could get much done there. I seem to write the best at night.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #268 on: February 11, 2021, 07:26:36 PM »

I don't think I've ever written outside during daylight for the same reason.  (And also because I'm a creature of the night - the sunlight, it burns!)  I used to only go outside to write at like 2 a.m. when all the neighbors were asleep LOL.

The lake/fountain was honestly really pretentious, and the apartment complex would brag about it and use it as their excuse to raise the rent every year.  "But... our majestic fountain!"  I'm glad I don't live there anymore, although I do miss the duck friends I made there LOL.  I had a trio of ducks who would walk right up onto my patio, knock on my sliding glass door with their bills, and eat out of my hand.  They were so cute!

Aww, that makes sense.  You're like AJ!

LOL That was my friends and me too.  Most of the neighbor kids I played with in the summer or after school were younger than me, so I was super bossy and told everyone what to do and say.

See I love the sunlight for other things, but it's not great for screen time. I can see why they would use it as an excuse to raise the rent, but also "majestic lake fountain" seems like a perfectly reasonable rent raiser to me. And aww! Duck friends! So cute!

Me and AJ are kindred spirits, except I have never used monologues to pick up boys.

Haha! I'm glad you decided to start bossing around fictional characters instead of neighborhood kids. One fights back a lot less.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #269 on: February 11, 2021, 07:27:03 PM »

I'm impressed with your ability to write at work, Tracy!  I would be so paranoid about coworkers reading over my shoulder.  Do yours know what you're doing?
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 50