Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 50

Author Topic: 2 Writing 2 Thread  (Read 122506 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: 2 Writing 2 Thread
« Reply #360 on: February 14, 2021, 03:30:03 PM »

;D Well, I have a beginning and an end, plus bits of middle, in my head. Maybe I'll start trying to put it to paper once I finish ch. 22. What's the typical word count of these things?

I would also love if Nessie was real.

I wonder if you could still sing if deafness developed later in life because of an illness or something? Like muscle memory?

I was going to ask, are hospitals really a thing in the Wizarding World?

Any word count is fine!  The shorter ones are under 1000 words, while the longer ones are several thousand.

I bet you could still sing to some extent, but unless you had perfect pitch, I think it would be a lot harder to stay on key and harmonize with the others.  I know Beethoven continued composing music when he was deaf, and in some ways that sounds harder than singing, but it's also different.

Okay, after writing that paragraph, I had to Google and see if there are any noteworthy deaf singers, and I found a girl named Mandy Harvey who was on America's Got Talent a few years ago.  She went deaf at 18 while in college for vocal music education, so she was already an experienced singer before she lost her hearing.  She uses a visual tuner that helps her tune her ukulele to match the pitch of her voice, and she takes off her shoes onstage so she can feel the vibrations of the music through the floor.  Here's a video: https://youtu.be/oHUuCLgfMpo  Impressive!!

Hospitals are a thing in the Wizarding World.  They skip over this part in the movie, but Order of the Phoenix has a whole chapter set at St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries in London.  They call the doctors "healers."
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #361 on: February 14, 2021, 03:43:05 PM »

Seems surprising, but I would say science fiction! I think technology is way less interesting than magic, so I hardly ever write science fiction. The other one would probably be suspense or mysteries. I think they're really interesting, I just don't think I'm very good at keeping things secret! Or building up a bunch of stuff only to reveal it all at the end; I'd rather tell you what you need to know along the way.

Sci-fi seems more restrictive than fantasy because you're still bound to the laws of science in some respects.  Sure, you can include technology that does not exist (yet), but it still needs to be somewhat believable within that world.  There are fewer limitations with fantasy because you can incorporate magic, etc.  You still have to follow the rules you establish when world-building though, which I think is challenge for either genre.

I'm with you on mysteries.  I like reading them, but I'm terrible at coming up with a creative and intricate enough plot that readers won't figure it all out before the end.  I shied away from suspense for a long time because I felt like I wasn't good at writing believable villains.

Your compliments to these genres are spot on!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #362 on: February 14, 2021, 05:26:49 PM »

I bet you could still sing to some extent, but unless you had perfect pitch, I think it would be a lot harder to stay on key and harmonize with the others.  I know Beethoven continued composing music when he was deaf, and in some ways that sounds harder than singing, but it's also different.

Okay, after writing that paragraph, I had to Google and see if there are any noteworthy deaf singers, and I found a girl named Mandy Harvey who was on America's Got Talent a few years ago.  She went deaf at 18 while in college for vocal music education, so she was already an experienced singer before she lost her hearing.  She uses a visual tuner that helps her tune her ukulele to match the pitch of her voice, and she takes off her shoes onstage so she can feel the vibrations of the music through the floor.  Here's a video: https://youtu.be/oHUuCLgfMpo  Impressive!!

Hospitals are a thing in the Wizarding World.  They skip over this part in the movie, but Order of the Phoenix has a whole chapter set at St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries in London.  They call the doctors "healers."

That's interesting that she uses a visual tuner and the vibrations to help! Very impressive! I think people who are already experienced in what they're doing, whether it's composing or performing would figure it out and still be badasses.

I wonder what special training magical doctors get to be better at magical healing than a regular magical person.

Sci-fi seems more restrictive than fantasy because you're still bound to the laws of science in some respects.  Sure, you can include technology that does not exist (yet), but it still needs to be somewhat believable within that world.  There are fewer limitations with fantasy because you can incorporate magic, etc.  You still have to follow the rules you establish when world-building though, which I think is challenge for either genre.

I'm with you on mysteries.  I like reading them, but I'm terrible at coming up with a creative and intricate enough plot that readers won't figure it all out before the end.  I shied away from suspense for a long time because I felt like I wasn't good at writing believable villains.

Your compliments to these genres are spot on!

Exactly, those laws of science will get you. I've said it a few times that the physics of flying I hand wave in PBox are all wrong. Nothing that big could just basketball leap and be flying. And in science fiction, it would definitely get questioned. "It's magic" is a great excuse.I think you just have to make sure that you keep track of your rules, so you can call yourself out. It's good to have a list somewhere.

Same! You want it to be intricate, but still have that "if you payed attention to all the clues, you'll have the answer" feeling. And I am just not good at that. I'd rather read it and be surprised.

I like villains. They're basically a foil to your hero, and I think easier done when they're a smaller scale villain and not a "big bad with the good and evil of the universe in the balance" type thing. Realistically, they could have the same motivations as your hero, but different morals for achieving them; they're basically just another character with their own goals. As long as their motivations are believable and their character is diametrically opposed to the hero, then you're golden! :)

It feels nice to give out compliments!  ;D
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #363 on: February 14, 2021, 05:35:38 PM »

Apparently tomorrow is International Fanworks Day! How are we celebrating?
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #364 on: February 14, 2021, 05:57:25 PM »

I like villains. They're basically a foil to your hero, and I think easier done when they're a smaller scale villain and not a "big bad with the good and evil of the universe in the balance" type thing. Realistically, they could have the same motivations as your hero, but different morals for achieving them; they're basically just another character with their own goals. As long as their motivations are believable and their character is diametrically opposed to the hero, then you're golden! :)

I agree about the smaller scale.  Otherwise they turn out like Dr. Rough, who I love as a character, but he is definitely a parody/caricature of a cliched supervillain, not a believable one.  I think it's important to develop them as characters in their own right and make sure they have clear motives that make sense, rather than just focusing on their villainous acts.  That's harder for a plot-driven writer, but still doable.

Apparently tomorrow is International Fanworks Day! How are we celebrating?

Day off school/work to listen to BSB music and write!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #365 on: February 14, 2021, 06:21:48 PM »

I agree about the smaller scale.  Otherwise they turn out like Dr. Rough, who I love as a character, but he is definitely a parody/caricature of a cliched supervillain, not a believable one.  I think it's important to develop them as characters in their own right and make sure they have clear motives that make sense, rather than just focusing on their villainous acts.  That's harder for a plot-driven writer, but still doable.

Sure, but Dr. Rough is a parody/caricature of a cliched super villain in a semi-serious parody of James Bond movies. He's doing exactly what he's supposed to do in that story, so he's fine. Put him into... I don't know... a kidnapping story and yeah, he's a little over the top, haha. Even as a plot-driven writer, you have to ask the same question. "This needs to happen for the plot. What was the villain's plotline until this moment that made them do the thing?" And if the answer is, "Nothing, it's for the evulz," then you should probably go back and figure out what happened that made the villain decide that that thing should happen for the plot. Or a good alternative is to write stories where the villain isn't a person, it's nature or circumstance or what have you. You don't need to give nature character development, haha.

Day off school/work to listen to BSB music and write!

I gotta work tomorrow, so keep sending snow day vibes!
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #366 on: February 14, 2021, 06:52:20 PM »

Sure, but Dr. Rough is a parody/caricature of a cliched super villain in a semi-serious parody of James Bond movies. He's doing exactly what he's supposed to do in that story, so he's fine. Put him into... I don't know... a kidnapping story and yeah, he's a little over the top, haha. Even as a plot-driven writer, you have to ask the same question. "This needs to happen for the plot. What was the villain's plotline until this moment that made them do the thing?" And if the answer is, "Nothing, it's for the evulz," then you should probably go back and figure out what happened that made the villain decide that that thing should happen for the plot. Or a good alternative is to write stories where the villain isn't a person, it's nature or circumstance or what have you. You don't need to give nature character development, haha.

About Dr. Rough - absolutely!  He works for that story because it's basically one big over-the-top parody anyway.  But he's way too silly for a serious suspense story.

That's one reason I prefer to write medical drama and stuff like The Road to Bethlehem.  The villain isn't human; it's disease and weather and animals and AJ's appendix LOL.

(Side note:  I was super freaked out by AJ posting a video of himself singing Shape of My Heart after my reply to your comment on AO3 LOL.  Maybe that's his subliminal way of telling me he wants to live.  Is AJ going to fight me on this??  I haven't tortured him into submission like Nick.)

I gotta work tomorrow, so keep sending snow day vibes!

Oh noes!  But it's International Fanworks Day!  And Presidents' Day!  Sending those snow day/polar vortex vibes your way.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #367 on: February 14, 2021, 07:01:38 PM »

That's one reason I prefer to write medical drama and stuff like The Road to Bethlehem.  The villain isn't human; it's disease and weather and animals and AJ's appendix LOL.

(Side note:  I was super freaked out by AJ posting a video of himself singing Shape of My Heart after my reply to your comment on AO3 LOL.  Maybe that's his subliminal way of telling me he wants to live.  Is AJ going to fight me on this??  I haven't tortured him into submission like Nick.)

Oh noes!  But it's International Fanworks Day!  And Presidents' Day!  Sending those snow day/polar vortex vibes your way.

"AJ's appendix, why did you decide to burst right now?" "For the evulz! Muahahahahah!"  LMAO

LMFAO! The timing of that is impeccable! He wants a Code Black & Blue! Maybe he heard me hoping for a Code Black & Blue and tried to make it happen himself; let the Boy live!

Also, see, this is what happens when we focus all of our torture efforts on Nick, the others get wise and fight back while we're busy. ;)

I'm bummed too, but private schools do what they want and the staff chose MLK Day this year over President's Day. (Which is crazy. President's Day gives you a nice break halfway between winter break and spring break.) Can you imagine me taking a day off work for International Fanworks Day and saying that was the reason? It would sound so silly. Yes, polar vortex! Maybe if it's cold enough, even without snow, that'll do it!
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #368 on: February 14, 2021, 07:12:56 PM »

LMAO Code Black & Blue definitely needs to be the name of that BSB fanfic trope.  Did we already try starting a list of BSB tropes?

Darn private schools!  They should celebrate MLK and Lincoln and Washington just like public schools do!  LOL I would love to hear you admit you took the day off for International Fanworks Day.

C'mon, polar vortex!  Drop that wind chill!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #369 on: February 14, 2021, 07:19:58 PM »

We did not try starting a list of BSB fanfic tropes yet! We did try starting a list of BSB fanfic rules of the internet, but tropes might be the funnier way to go. In general, Nick is the fandom "Woobie" for sure. And Code Black & Blue is the perfect name for that trope for BSB fanfics.

I hear you, they definitely should. I keep hoping, but it's still one or the other and I've worked at this school since 2016.

"I took it off for International Fanworks Day." "What?" "It's a day celebrating the creative genius that is fanfics." "Uhhh... how do you participate in that?" "Spend the day writing or reading fanfics mostly." "Right..."Meanwhile, we have party hats here.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #370 on: February 14, 2021, 08:14:22 PM »

We did not try starting a list of BSB fanfic tropes yet! We did try starting a list of BSB fanfic rules of the internet, but tropes might be the funnier way to go. In general, Nick is the fandom "Woobie" for sure. And Code Black & Blue is the perfect name for that trope for BSB fanfics.

Ah, that's what it was!  I knew there was something we tried to start, and then I couldn't think of anything to add to it LOL.  Tropes might be easier.

Nick is definitely our Woobie.  What's the name for the character who nothing interesting happens to and is usually just kind of there?  Cause that would be Howie in most stories LOL.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #371 on: February 14, 2021, 09:37:24 PM »

Ah, that's what it was!  I knew there was something we tried to start, and then I couldn't think of anything to add to it LOL.  Tropes might be easier.

Nick is definitely our Woobie.  What's the name for the character who nothing interesting happens to and is usually just kind of there?  Cause that would be Howie in most stories LOL.

A poorly developed character? haha

Let me think for a minute.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #372 on: February 14, 2021, 09:38:18 PM »

Also, good news everyone! Two weeks later and I finally finished that chapter! Now just rereading to get back on track with where I was skipped ahead to instead.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #373 on: February 14, 2021, 09:54:35 PM »

What's the name for the character who nothing interesting happens to and is usually just kind of there?  Cause that would be Howie in most stories LOL.

A poorly developed character? haha

Let me think for a minute.

I'd say that either makes Howie "Out of Focus," "Demoted to Extra," or "Advertised Extra" depending on the severity of the Howie doing nothing interesting or nothing at all. Possibly "Chuck Cunningham Syndrome" if he starts out important then vanishes.

Realistically, we should just name this BSB trope "The Winking Effect" (wink and you'll miss him) or something and note that of all the Boys, this is most likely to happen to Howie and least likely to happen to Nick.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #374 on: February 14, 2021, 10:58:46 PM »

Also, good news everyone! Two weeks later and I finally finished that chapter! Now just rereading to get back on track with where I was skipped ahead to instead.

Yay!!  Congrats!
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 50