Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 50

Author Topic: 2 Writing 2 Thread  (Read 122539 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: 2 Writing 2 Thread
« Reply #375 on: February 14, 2021, 10:59:51 PM »

I'd say that either makes Howie "Out of Focus," "Demoted to Extra," or "Advertised Extra" depending on the severity of the Howie doing nothing interesting or nothing at all. Possibly "Chuck Cunningham Syndrome" if he starts out important then vanishes.

Realistically, we should just name this BSB trope "The Winking Effect" (wink and you'll miss him) or something and note that of all the Boys, this is most likely to happen to Howie and least likely to happen to Nick.

Yes!!  The Winking Effect!  You're good at coming up with names for these.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #376 on: February 14, 2021, 11:01:11 PM »

Yay!!  Congrats!

Thanks, now we're back to our skip ahead and Nick gets to beat up another door, haha. I always get stuck on word choice. I spent such a long time looking up different "hit" verbs to finally settle on "bash."
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #377 on: February 14, 2021, 11:03:22 PM »

Yes!!  The Winking Effect!  You're good at coming up with names for these.

My comedic brevity and expertise in tropes join together into a naming superpower, haha. Having the list of tropes would be funny, but looking for works that utilize them would be time consuming. We'd probably have to have authors self-submit or readers recommend works be added to a page.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #378 on: February 14, 2021, 11:08:03 PM »

Can we call over-expressive eyebrows "Caterpillars on Parade"? lmao
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #379 on: February 14, 2021, 11:12:19 PM »

My comedic brevity and expertise in tropes join together into a naming superpower, haha. Having the list of tropes would be funny, but looking for works that utilize them would be time consuming. We'd probably have to have authors self-submit or readers recommend works be added to a page.

Oh definitely.  I'm not looking to start a whole wiki for this.  Just a funny list would be good!

Can we call over-expressive eyebrows "Caterpillars on Parade"? lmao

LOL Yes!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #380 on: February 14, 2021, 11:21:12 PM »

Oh definitely.  I'm not looking to start a whole wiki for this.  Just a funny list would be good!

We would have loved a whole wiki back in the day. Except it probably would have ended up like a bunch of our other great, but abandoned ideas: the detailed review site... chatrooms... I can't think of others right now, but I know there were others.

Something about fluffy, dark, whatever the middle is... What is the middle of fluffy and dark? Is anyone a middle of the road author?
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #381 on: February 15, 2021, 12:01:02 AM »

We would have loved a whole wiki back in the day. Except it probably would have ended up like a bunch of our other great, but abandoned ideas: the detailed review site... chatrooms... I can't think of others right now, but I know there were others.

Something about fluffy, dark, whatever the middle is... What is the middle of fluffy and dark? Is anyone a middle of the road author?

LOL Very true.  We dream big, but don't always deliver.

Hm... I guess the middle between light/fluffy and dark would be some shade of gray.  I would not know because I am definitely not a middle of the road author LOL.  Even my comedies are dark.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #382 on: February 15, 2021, 08:03:56 PM »

LOL Very true.  We dream big, but don't always deliver.

Hm... I guess the middle between light/fluffy and dark would be some shade of gray.  I would not know because I am definitely not a middle of the road author LOL.  Even my comedies are dark.

You gotta dream big! Doing big can come later, haha.

I'm not either. There's a question for today:

Where do you fall on the fluffy to dark scale? How do you determine that? And do you think a middle of the road exists?

Also, happy official international fanworks day, y'all! Hope you celebrated!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 08:16:12 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #383 on: February 15, 2021, 08:58:07 PM »

I'm assuming you did not get your snow day today. :(  The snow day vibes must have worked on me instead because my district is having its first ever remote learning-style snow day tomorrow!  And they actually called it tonight instead of waiting til morning, which means I can actually go to bed tonight feeling prepared and not worried about getting up early extra to make sure I can make it to work safely on time.  Such a relief.

I celebrated International Fanworks Day by writing most of the day!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #384 on: February 15, 2021, 09:12:02 PM »

I did not, alas. But there's hope for Wednesday! Ooh, I snow day! Are you going to be live teaching or will it be similar to the days when your students are remote week to week? I'm glad you don't have to deal with the anxiety of getting to work safely! That's always the worst!
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #385 on: February 15, 2021, 09:13:08 PM »

Where do you fall on the fluffy to dark scale? How do you determine that? And do you think a middle of the road exists?

If fluffy is 1 and dark is 10, I'm anywhere from a 6 to 10 depending on the story, but always on the dark side of the scale.  I do include fluffy sweet or funny moments in most stories, but they are heavier on the drama - disease, death, and other depressing stuff.

I definitely think there can be a middle ground.  Some stories fall more in the dramedy realm, where they're a mix of dark and light.  And some writers write both pure fluff and darker stories.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #386 on: February 15, 2021, 09:15:04 PM »

I did not, alas. But there's hope for Wednesday! Ooh, I snow day! Are you going to be live teaching or will it be similar to the days when your students are remote week to week? I'm glad you don't have to deal with the anxiety of getting to work safely! That's always the worst!

We have to schedule one Google Meet, and the rest of the day can be independent assignments.  So we're going to have a fun little morning meeting on Google Meet, and then they have a few easy activities to do on their own that involve games, videos, and books.  I still think we should all still get to enjoy a snow day. ;)
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #387 on: February 15, 2021, 09:27:17 PM »

We have to schedule one Google Meet, and the rest of the day can be independent assignments.  So we're going to have a fun little morning meeting on Google Meet, and then they have a few easy activities to do on their own that involve games, videos, and books.  I still think we should all still get to enjoy a snow day. ;)

That sounds nice for everyone! I think that means you get another day to work on writing. What a lucky week!  ;)
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #388 on: February 15, 2021, 09:29:41 PM »

If fluffy is 1 and dark is 10, I'm anywhere from a 6 to 10 depending on the story, but always on the dark side of the scale.  I do include fluffy sweet or funny moments in most stories, but they are heavier on the drama - disease, death, and other depressing stuff.

I definitely think there can be a middle ground.  Some stories fall more in the dramedy realm, where they're a mix of dark and light.  And some writers write both pure fluff and darker stories.

I'm going to call myself a solid 7. I just like to torture my characters too much to be be anything less.

I wonder what most people here consider themselves. Do you think overall AC had more fluffy or more dark?
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #389 on: February 15, 2021, 09:33:27 PM »

That sounds nice for everyone! I think that means you get another day to work on writing. What a lucky week!  ;)

Yes!  The timing couldn't be better because I was actually pretty focused and productive today.  Hopefully that can continue tomorrow after my Google Meet LOL.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 50