Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50

Author Topic: 2 Writing 2 Thread  (Read 122347 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: 2 Writing 2 Thread
« Reply #705 on: March 08, 2021, 07:58:24 PM »

I know you enjoyed ambient mood type stuff while you write. I love that the top comment is "who's here writing fanfiction" because I can't really think of a reason to listen to a looped heart monitor/ventilator for an hour unless it was for setting a mood while writing, some sort of art project, or other creative outlet that needed that immersion inspiration. I thought of a couple half way through writing this, but I still feel like creative pursuits would be the primary reason.

Yeah, it would be good background noise for a hospital scene in a movie or something, but otherwise, I'm not sure what else you would use it for.  It's not the kind of white noise that would be good to fall asleep to LOL.

Oh 2007... What a time the late 00's were. That was back when I rocked a bumpit and hair poufs to high heaven -- there's pictures from a friend's wedding where it was larger than my forehead!

LOL!  You were like Snooki!  How very 2007 indeed.

~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #706 on: March 08, 2021, 08:00:45 PM »

My writing update for today:

I was hoping to finish Chapter 6 this weekend and did not, but now I'm thinking that may actually be better because it means I'm more likely to write during the week.  I went to bed last night wishing I could stay up longer and finish my scene.  I woke up this morning still feeling inspired, so I pecked out about 200 more words while I was drying my hair.  I left off in mid-sentence, but I think leaving myself hanging like that actually helps me pick back up on it later... whereas if I was actually at a good stopping place, like the end of a scene or chapter, I would have a much harder time getting started next time I sat down to write.  It's nice to know what comes next.

I feel like I always start out the work week really inspired and motivated from writing over the weekend, and then as the days ago on, that feeling wanes until Saturday morning, when I can sit down with a cup of coffee and build it back up again.  That has been my routine lately.

Another writing while hair drying day! I also find that I have a harder time getting back into the groove if I've reached an abrupt end to whatever I was writing. Scenes, less so, but definitely with chapters. I don't know what it is about starting a new chapter! They definitely go easier if I have a pre-written snippet to plop in, but I always hem and haw for a little bit before committing anything solid to paper.

I found an article today that rings true to me in those moments; I usually pick "write out of order" these days. It's here if anyone wants to read it: 7 Ways to Rescue a Writing Day That's Not Happening

Writing yesterday was weird because I started out totally motivated to start the next chapter from the beginning, then I really wanted to write the end of that scene instead, and then I thought "Oh, this leads perfectly into an interesting bit for later that I'd already started and now I have the way to start it." So then I wrote that and writing that once again reminded me that I really thought the beginning of PBox was missing a chapter it should have had, so now I'm writing that, but also figuring out how to put the focus on Nick for another early chapter to deal with his "mood whiplash." And this morning, I was pondering the start of the next book! I'm literally all over the place with this story, haha. But it all feels fine because it's all the same big story technically? I don't know, it's weird... I'm usually not as all over the place while writing.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #707 on: March 08, 2021, 08:05:20 PM »

Lol the way you replied to the love triangle makes it sound like Nick was into Leighanne too but I just want to point out that he was NOT haha. Nick loves Brian, Brian loves Nick but is in denial and loves Leighanne. Leighanne and Nick are friends but she secretly hates him, and Leighanne loves Brian. If that makes ANY sense at all. It's just very complicated lmao

I'm still in pain but I'm taking the injury day by day. It's definitely getting better but it's going to be a bit before I am back to normal again.

LMAO! No, definitely didn't think that! I was making fun of Twilight without outright saying so. That would be a weird love triangle if Nick and Brian were into each other and Leighanne while Leighanne was into Brian. If only Leighanne was into Nick too, then they could have been a power thruple.

Glad it's getting better and wishing you a quick recovery! :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #708 on: March 08, 2021, 08:06:28 PM »

Fun fact I've never read or watched Twilight lol

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #709 on: March 08, 2021, 08:10:26 PM »

Yeah, it would be good background noise for a hospital scene in a movie or something, but otherwise, I'm not sure what else you would use it for.  It's not the kind of white noise that would be good to fall asleep to LOL.

LOL!  You were like Snooki!  How very 2007 indeed.

Just add a bass drop and put it on in da club!

Yes! And it was... very dated looking. Put me on an episode of "I Hate Watching Myself"! Though I will sometimes rock a tiny bang pouf for a fancy outfit kind of day.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #710 on: March 08, 2021, 08:11:40 PM »

Fun fact I've never read or watched Twilight lol

Don't do it. It will add nothing to your life except make it easier for me to subtly joke about it around you.
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #711 on: March 08, 2021, 08:15:25 PM »

However I did attempt to read 50 Shades of Grey one time and I didn't even get past the first couple chapters of the book on my Kindle. It was horrible. I said can I have my 3.99 back please this was awful. I've read better fanfictions on here than that garbage. I don't get the hype. Maybe it's because I'm not really into sex scenes and stuff, I don't know. the writing was terrible.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #712 on: March 08, 2021, 08:20:04 PM »

As soon as I found out it was originally Twilight fanfic, I noped that thought out of my head! Because I couldn't take another book where a bland protagonist bit their lip all the time while they did nothing but first person POVed everything.

And saying that, I cringe every time I write that Nick bites his lip, but he does and it's just... ugh, Nick!
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #713 on: March 08, 2021, 08:49:40 PM »

Another writing while hair drying day! I also find that I have a harder time getting back into the groove if I've reached an abrupt end to whatever I was writing. Scenes, less so, but definitely with chapters. I don't know what it is about starting a new chapter! They definitely go easier if I have a pre-written snippet to plop in, but I always hem and haw for a little bit before committing anything solid to paper.

I found an article today that rings true to me in those moments; I usually pick "write out of order" these days. It's here if anyone wants to read it: 7 Ways to Rescue a Writing Day That's Not Happening

Writing yesterday was weird because I started out totally motivated to start the next chapter from the beginning, then I really wanted to write the end of that scene instead, and then I thought "Oh, this leads perfectly into an interesting bit for later that I'd already started and now I have the way to start it." So then I wrote that and writing that once again reminded me that I really thought the beginning of PBox was missing a chapter it should have had, so now I'm writing that, but also figuring out how to put the focus on Nick for another early chapter to deal with his "mood whiplash." And this morning, I was pondering the start of the next book! I'm literally all over the place with this story, haha. But it all feels fine because it's all the same big story technically? I don't know, it's weird... I'm usually not as all over the place while writing.

Starting a new chapter is hard!  Even after I figure out the first sentence, it usually takes a few paragraphs for the word to start flowing - and sometimes those first few paragraphs take me hours to write.  So frustrating.  Once I get into a scene or chapter, it gets easier.

I was still pasting in pre-written paragraphs from the first version of the story as recently as yesterday, and it did help make me feel more productive, like I'd written more than I actually had, but I don't think I could work that way all the time.  It feels too disjointed for me.  I was happy to find a place for most of the parts I liked from the first version, but I hate having two versions of the story open at the same time and hacking and slashing to make pieces from both of them fit together.  Kudos to you for being able to write scenes out of order and put them together so seamlessly!  It is not easy.

I liked that article.  This quote was a helpful reminder:  "But take heart. All is not lost – especially if you remember that there’s more to writing than just the actual act of writing. It’s also dreaming, planning, thinking; researching, practising, and learning."

#1 Watching a film or reading a book is my go-to when I want to get inspired.  It doesn't always work, but I make a list of things I can watch or read that are similar to my current story in some way and then pick something off that list when the time is appropriate.  Which is why I'll probably be watching the Unbreakable concert at some point soonish.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #714 on: March 08, 2021, 08:57:50 PM »

LMAO! No, definitely didn't think that! I was making fun of Twilight without outright saying so. That would be a weird love triangle if Nick and Brian were into each other and Leighanne while Leighanne was into Brian. If only Leighanne was into Nick too, then they could have been a power thruple.

Glad it's getting better and wishing you a quick recovery! :)

LOL Your description was very Twilight.

A power thruple!  If Leighanne was into Nick too, and Nick was into her, he and Brian could both marry her and be Brother Husbands!  That would be an interesting fanfic LOL.  It probably already exists on AO3 and has a bunch of kinky tags.

However I did attempt to read 50 Shades of Grey one time and I didn't even get past the first couple chapters of the book on my Kindle. It was horrible. I said can I have my 3.99 back please this was awful. I've read better fanfictions on here than that garbage. I don't get the hype. Maybe it's because I'm not really into sex scenes and stuff, I don't know. the writing was terrible.

LOL!  I have never attempted to read that book and never will, but I was dragged to see the movie, and it was the longest 2.5 hours of my life I will never get back.  I thought the first Lord of the Rings was long and boring, but at least that movie had a plot.  It didn't help that one of the friends I was with leaned over and whispered, "Is it just me, or is one of his eyeballs bigger than the other one?" about the main actor within the first ten minutes of the movie, and that was all I could think about for the remainder of it.  Because, yes, one of his eyeballs was bigger than the other one, and it was distracting.

As soon as I found out it was originally Twilight fanfic, I noped that thought out of my head! Because I couldn't take another book where a bland protagonist bit their lip all the time while they did nothing but first person POVed everything.

And saying that, I cringe every time I write that Nick bites his lip, but he does and it's just... ugh, Nick!

LOL!!!  When Nick does it, it's hot though.

That reminds me of the "Speak Like Kristen Stewart" video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKKAVYI7vdU&ab_channel=TheKeyofAwesome  Spot on!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #715 on: March 08, 2021, 09:13:37 PM »

Starting a new chapter is hard!  Even after I figure out the first sentence, it usually takes a few paragraphs for the word to start flowing - and sometimes those first few paragraphs take me hours to write.  So frustrating.  Once I get into a scene or chapter, it gets easier.

I was still pasting in pre-written paragraphs from the first version of the story as recently as yesterday, and it did help make me feel more productive, like I'd written more than I actually had, but I don't think I could work that way all the time.  It feels too disjointed for me.  I was happy to find a place for most of the parts I liked from the first version, but I hate having two versions of the story open at the same time and hacking and slashing to make pieces from both of them fit together.  Kudos to you for being able to write scenes out of order and put them together so seamlessly!  It is not easy.

Yes, same. The worst is when you know exactly what should happen, but then don't know if it just picks up from the last chapter or if it starts slightly later. I go back over the first few things in a chapter so many times, to the point that sometimes I'll just be typing, sometimes I'll be typing over it in suggest mode, sometimes I'll type over it in suggest mode and highlight changes in yellow, and then sometimes it gets so bad that I highlight over the yellow changes in orange. I've never gone over four days fanangling edits to a chapter, yet, but it feels slightly excessive.

Oh I hate having two documents open. That's how I live in PBox as an OF. Chapter by chapter with the fanfic open beside it. I hate it. But it helps me revert if I change my mind about something and it gives me a clear picture of what I'm wanting to remove, so it is helpful. And I guess if I know I have parts of my "interesting bits" coming up, I have three things open: the ten chapter chunk I'm working on, the interesting bits document, and my document to keep track of my daily word count. Oh, and sometimes the appropriate PBox 10 chapter chunk if something related comes up. Writing the last book is going to be so fun when I have 100 chapters of things to reference back to and probably still write out of order...

Thanks! However, ask me how it goes for a new story! Even though it hasn't been "front and center" in my mind again until recently, Pbox et al. has been taking up residence in my head for fifteen years, so (if nothing else) I have a pretty clear vision on all of it.

I liked that article.  This quote was a helpful reminder:  "But take heart. All is not lost – especially if you remember that there’s more to writing than just the actual act of writing. It’s also dreaming, planning, thinking; researching, practising, and learning."

#1 Watching a film or reading a book is my go-to when I want to get inspired.  It doesn't always work, but I make a list of things I can watch or read that are similar to my current story in some way and then pick something off that list when the time is appropriate.  Which is why I'll probably be watching the Unbreakable concert at some point soonish.

That was one of my favorite parts too. I've been getting a lot of great articles about writing in my news feed since I started looking up writing related things. I like it a lot. I have a fun one saved for whenever we feel like delving into Gobosei and Guilty Roads again.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #716 on: March 08, 2021, 09:21:32 PM »

LOL Your description was very Twilight.

A power thruple!  If Leighanne was into Nick too, and Nick was into her, he and Brian could both marry her and be Brother Husbands!  That would be an interesting fanfic LOL.  It probably already exists on AO3 and has a bunch of kinky tags.

Brother Husbands, lmao! Same sex marriage is legal; they could all marry each other. So many kinky tags, the most boring of which would obviously be "menage a trois."

LOL!  I have never attempted to read that book and never will, but I was dragged to see the movie, and it was the longest 2.5 hours of my life I will never get back.  I thought the first Lord of the Rings was long and boring, but at least that movie had a plot.  It didn't help that one of the friends I was with leaned over and whispered, "Is it just me, or is one of his eyeballs bigger than the other one?" about the main actor within the first ten minutes of the movie, and that was all I could think about for the remainder of it.  Because, yes, one of his eyeballs was bigger than the other one, and it was distracting.

LMFAO!!

LOL!!!  When Nick does it, it's hot though.

That reminds me of the "Speak Like Kristen Stewart" video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKKAVYI7vdU&ab_channel=TheKeyofAwesome  Spot on!

It is hot, but I always think. "Ugh, everyone reading this is going to compare Nick to Kristen Stewart. I know you were doing it first, Nick, and it's not even your default expression, but... ugh... I'm writing it anyway. Because you do it and it's attractive, even though I usually make you do it when you're worried about something." Seductive Nick is the lip licker, obviously.

Yes! That one is spot on!
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #717 on: March 08, 2021, 09:26:20 PM »

Yes, I prefer Nick licking his lips to biting.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #718 on: March 08, 2021, 09:34:39 PM »

Yes, I prefer Nick licking his lips to biting.

Unfortunately, Nick licking his lips because he's worried about something seems counter productive.

"I'm worried that dude will punch me in the face." Licks lips. "Yup, now he thinks I'm flirting with him and he did not like it. I've made a huge mistake!"

lol!
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #719 on: March 08, 2021, 09:38:48 PM »

Unfortunately, Nick licking his lips because he's worried about something seems counter productive.

"I'm worried that dude will punch me in the face." Licks lips. "Yup, now he thinks I'm flirting with him and he did not like it. I've made a huge mistake!"

lol!

LOL!
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50