Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50]

Author Topic: 2 Writing 2 Thread  (Read 122955 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: 2 Writing 2 Thread
« Reply #735 on: March 10, 2021, 07:23:35 PM »

Other than the collaborative aspect, what other regrets do you have about rewriting it?

Aside from the collaborative aspect, my main regret is that the time and effort it took to rewrite it killed any momentum it still had.  I might be remembering it wrong because I think one of the reasons we started rewriting it was to try to fix the issues that had caused us to slow down on it in the first place, but we probably would have been better off trying to push through it instead of backtracking on a story that had already been posted.

Howie is the most likely to have deep dark secrets! Since Howie is all of us, maybe we should just start picturing we have a friend group like the Boys and that we're the Howie. Maybe that would help unleash his hidden depths?

In all honesty, I think I AM the Howie of most of my friend groups LOL.  I'm the nice, quiet one that does have a hidden dark side that people don't discover until they really get to know me.  (Nothing you guys don't already know - I just mean people in my real life are usually surprised to learn I have a twisted sense of humor and love horror movies, true crime documentaries, serial killers, creepy clowns, zombies, cemeteries, and other morbid stuff.  And those people don't even know how much of my free time I spend torturing fictional versions of the Backstreet Boys LOL.)  So it probably helps to put some of myself into the way I write Howie.

Oh man! Unplanned Nick and AJ arguments get me every time, and surprise Nick, lol. If they keep wanting to add things and I'm already in bed, that's when I pull my phone out to write, unless I felt like it was going to be another hour of me feeling ridiculously inspired.

Yeah, poor Nick was blindsided LOL.  I have to get it out of my system, or I won't be able to turn my mind off to sleep, so it's quicker to just type it in the actual story than on my phone.

How do you feel when your chapters are usually a certain length and then one just balloons to thousands and thousands of words? Would you try to give a Kevin chapter a similar word count? Split the monster one into two chapters? Let it ride?

It bugs me!  But it is what it is.  I'm not going to purposely stretch out the next Kevin chapter just to make it match, and splitting the Nick chapter into two wouldn't work for this one unless I messed up my Kevin-Nick-Kevin-Nick pattern and had two Nick chapters in a row.  I'd rather keep the pattern and just let the Nick chapter be long.  I'm sure there will be other long chapters down the road, but so far they've all been on the shorter side except this one.

I just can't imagine anyone telling you "WTF is wrong with you?" after reading a story, even one that could be taboo.

LOL They probably wouldn't actually say that to my "face" (or in a comment I could see).  The ones who thought it probably just clicked the back button and never said anything, which is fine with me.

You gotta have the accolades! In my mind you're high up on the "most prolific" list, if my opinion counts for anything like that, lol!

LOL Thanks!  I finally made the official top ten list on AC last year, something I had been striving to do for a long time.  Too bad it didn't happen until AC was on its last legs, but at least it happened while the site's still alive.

If they had ignored the request, would they tell you? I feel like they would have to go through some serious hoops to find your stuff now that you no longer live together.

I don't know, probably, but I'm not going to ask them because I don't want to bring it up LOL.  If I knew my sister had a fanfic site, I would look at it out of curiosity, even if it wasn't for a fandom I was interested in reading - and if she told me not to, I would be even more tempted to find out why she didn't want me poking around.  But that's just me.  My mom definitely knows my pen name and site URL because she used to pay for my domain before I had my own credit card as a teenager LOL.  So she could easily find my stories if she really wanted to read them.  I just think she would have said something by now if she ever had.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: 2 Writing 2 Thread
« Reply #736 on: March 10, 2021, 08:25:10 PM »

Aside from the collaborative aspect, my main regret is that the time and effort it took to rewrite it killed any momentum it still had.  I might be remembering it wrong because I think one of the reasons we started rewriting it was to try to fix the issues that had caused us to slow down on it in the first place, but we probably would have been better off trying to push through it instead of backtracking on a story that had already been posted.

I feel you. I think it really takes the right rewrite project to really keep momentum going on it. Rewriting and reworking anything is a laborious effort for sure!

In all honesty, I think I AM the Howie of most of my friend groups LOL.  I'm the nice, quiet one that does have a hidden dark side that people don't discover until they really get to know me.  (Nothing you guys don't already know - I just mean people in my real life are usually surprised to learn I have a twisted sense of humor and love horror movies, true crime documentaries, serial killers, creepy clowns, zombies, cemeteries, and other morbid stuff.  And those people don't even know how much of my free time I spend torturing fictional versions of the Backstreet Boys LOL.)  So it probably helps to put some of myself into the way I write Howie.

The bombshell if they found out about your dark side and then found out how much time you spend torturing fictional Backstreet Boys! lmao I don't think being Howie is the worst, you could get away with murder.

This is only slightly related, but there's this silly online game you can play on your phone called "Role Models" where you give people roles based on categories and one of them is "Boy Bands" and I got the "cute tiny one," and I was so excited. "Apparently I'm 90's Nick!" haha.

Yeah, poor Nick was blindsided LOL.  I have to get it out of my system, or I won't be able to turn my mind off to sleep, so it's quicker to just type it in the actual story than on my phone.

Nick never expects it.

It bugs me!  But it is what it is.  I'm not going to purposely stretch out the next Kevin chapter just to make it match, and splitting the Nick chapter into two wouldn't work for this one unless I messed up my Kevin-Nick-Kevin-Nick pattern and had two Nick chapters in a row.  I'd rather keep the pattern and just let the Nick chapter be long.  I'm sure there will be other long chapters down the road, but so far they've all been on the shorter side except this one.

Nick's just wordy. I think the pattern is fun, especially if it's in first person POV. Just playing devil's advocate. :)

LOL Thanks!  I finally made the official top ten list on AC last year, something I had been striving to do for a long time.  Too bad it didn't happen until AC was on its last legs, but at least it happened while the site's still alive.

I'm sensing a resurgence! It will be long lasting and eternal!

I don't know, probably, but I'm not going to ask them because I don't want to bring it up LOL.  If I knew my sister had a fanfic site, I would look at it out of curiosity, even if it wasn't for a fandom I was interested in reading - and if she told me not to, I would be even more tempted to find out why she didn't want me poking around.  But that's just me.  My mom definitely knows my pen name and site URL because she used to pay for my domain before I had my own credit card as a teenager LOL.  So she could easily find my stories if she really wanted to read them.  I just think she would have said something by now if she ever had.

I don't have a sibling, so I guess I'm not sure how evil siblings are. I asked my husband and he said "I guess maybe," so... the jury's undecided on this one, haha.

I think parents are more likely to respect your "don't poke into it" requests than siblings, probably.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50]