Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)  (Read 135170 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)
« Reply #405 on: April 22, 2021, 10:04:37 PM »

Today's Camp Nano Care Package:

"Read what's being published in the genre you're writing. Read old books and new. Get a good feel for what your genre is. This will help with your writing and it also might help you when pitching your book to agents/publishers."

Does anyone else struggle to find quality fiction (fanfic or original) in their favorite genre?  I have read some great BSB medical dramas over the years, but most of them are really old at this point - I haven't come across many recent examples.  In the world of published fiction, I haven't found many good books written for adults in this genre either.  I've read a handful over the years, but even some of those were more YA books, like The Fault in Our Stars.  I guess the "crying and dying" books are more of a YA trend.

I have turned to true stories - memoirs - for inspiration for MBK because there aren't a lot of novels about the topic I'm writing about.  The most well-known one is universally hated by people in the situation I've put Kevin in, so while I enjoyed reading that particular book years ago, I have not used it as a source for research or inspiration.  Not having a lot of fictional examples to emulate forces me to be more original and figure things out for myself, but it would be nice to be able to read more of the stuff I like to write.  It's a good thing I'm not trying to pitch a novel to a publisher because medical drama storylines must not be popular outside of fanfic and YA fiction.

If you're feeling stuck, jot down a list of a few of the tropes, characters, or situations that usually show up in the genre you're currently writing. Which ones do you love, and which ones do you find annoying? Use these as a jumping off point to write a scene featuring one of those things!

We've talked a lot about tropes, but I had to laugh at this because I was watching this week's episode of The Resident earlier and rolled my eyes at the use of the Incurable Cough of Death/Blood from the Mouth trope.  A character had just been discharged from the ER with a clean bill of health after her labs came back normal, only to start coughing up blood just outside the door, which of course meant that she was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer in the next scene.  So predictable.  I miss ER.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #406 on: April 22, 2021, 10:11:24 PM »

I'm glad yours has too! Today I wrote two different little bits so far, the start of my next chapter this afternoon and the start of the next book this morning. As usual, I continue to be all over the place, lol. I think you passed your tiredness on to me because I have been exhausted this whole week. I don't know if it's the off and on snow or what, but so tired.

I thought about taking a nap today! But I had that Thursday training again, so I decided to write a little before it started. I'm hoping I can jump back in where I left off. :)

I hope the ER reunion was worth skipping the nap for.  ;D Just make sure that you don't sleep deprive yourself next week.

Hey, at least you're writing multiple times a day, even if it is all over the place.  I hope you can settle into one part of the story so you feel like you're making progress, even though every little bit counts.

Ugh, we had spring snow earlier this week too, but thankfully it didn't stick.  I saw Mare got a decent amount too!  I do think the weather being all over the place makes us all out of sorts.  Hopefully we can all catch up on sleep again this weekend!

The ER reunion was totally worth staying up for!  Two hours of pure joy.  I started crying the moment Anthony Edwards appeared on the screen.  What a dork.  But they were all getting each other teary-eyed with nostalgia, too!  It's on YouTube if anyone else wants to watch: https://youtu.be/q32KZI_3ohI
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #407 on: April 22, 2021, 10:17:19 PM »

Anyone else ever feel that way? You write and write in one genre and then think "if I even look at x genre, I'm going to hurl"? Anyone know why? Psychology school me, basically, lol!

I always think I'm going to feel that way after finishing a particularly intense medical drama, but I inevitably end up coming back for more.  I feel that way more about writing than reading, though.  I've never gotten burnt out on reading well-written medical drama by other authors - like I said earlier, I wish there was more of it out there.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #408 on: April 22, 2021, 10:40:45 PM »

Does anyone else struggle to find quality fiction (fanfic or original) in their favorite genre?  I have read some great BSB medical dramas over the years, but most of them are really old at this point - I haven't come across many recent examples.  In the world of published fiction, I haven't found many good books written for adults in this genre either.  I've read a handful over the years, but even some of those were more YA books, like The Fault in Our Stars.  I guess the "crying and dying" books are more of a YA trend.

I probably need to be better about reading fantasy novels again; I've gotten out of reading for a little while here. There was never much BSB fanfic in fantasy, but it's definitely out there in traditional publishing. Though I've been avoiding it right now as I write just because I'm too spongey. I did have an "oh no" moment about a month ago where I was looking over a list of newly published YA fantasy books. (My aside got too long, so I had to edit how I was writing this.)

I think that's what PBox is demographic-wise since I don't know that I'd call it a "coming of age" novel necessarily, but it's definitely in there fairly prevalently -- especially with Nick and Minako sharing a lot of the POV role and being utterly clueless about their place in the world (at least they have each other). Awkwardly enough, it's a bit of a continuity snarl since it was very much written to be a Never Gone-era fanfic, but reading back over it, I've always felt like Nick read 18 more than 25, lol. And now as I keep going on the story, I'm just leaning into that? Definitely in the OF version (deciding between 16 and 17 at this point), but even in PNecklace. In the edit, I made the timeline in the fantasy part to be a lot more vague intentionally to reflect that feeling. Really all of the Boys except for maybe Kevin read more early twenties than late twenties/early thirties. I don't know if that was due to my age at the time or what. (See, I told you that this aside got long).

Anyway... so I was looking over a list of newly published YA Books and was like, alright fairies, vampires, werewolves, yup, ooh a couple with demons. But then one of them had a main character named Nick and I went "oh no!" I googled into it and the premises are really different and the character seems really different, but I had a heart attack for a long time as I googled. It also made me think on my novel's DEI with a cast full of mostly white pretty boys since they were all based on actual boy bands originally.

I wonder why "crying and dying" is more YA. Is it too real of an adult fear for adult fiction? Just like we say in our fanfic circles, if it's not out there then that's all the more reason to put it out there.

I have turned to true stories - memoirs - for inspiration for MBK because there aren't a lot of novels about the topic I'm writing about.  The most well-known one is universally hated by people in the situation I've put Kevin in, so while I enjoyed reading that particular book years ago, I have not used it as a source for research or inspiration.  Not having a lot of fictional examples to emulate forces me to be more original and figure things out for myself, but it would be nice to be able to read more of the stuff I like to write.  It's a good thing I'm not trying to pitch a novel to a publisher because medical drama storylines must not be popular outside of fanfic and YA fiction.

I tried to think of universally hated books and my mind went to A Million Little Pieces, lol. Is that it? I think it's good to balance fiction and non-fiction as much as you can for inspiration. It's different angles on the same subject. Are you reading thick memoirs or are they more excerpts?

My next aside, pitching seems like a difficult thing to do for a verbose person who sucks at summaries, lol. The only real intel I've gathered is that "standalone with series potential" may be my bread and butter in this department.

We've talked a lot about tropes, but I had to laugh at this because I was watching this week's episode of The Resident earlier and rolled my eyes at the use of the Incurable Cough of Death/Blood from the Mouth trope.  A character had just been discharged from the ER with a clean bill of health after her labs came back normal, only to start coughing up blood just outside the door, which of course meant that she was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer in the next scene.  So predictable.  I miss ER.

Not the Incurable Cough of Death! Not after all the labs came back normal! I feel like that doesn't happen! lol.

Aw man, the last fantasy thing I watched was the Dark Crystal miniseries on Netflix. And it definitely had many of the standard fantasy tropes, but I can't remember one where I thought "oh no, not this again." It's been a while, lol.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #409 on: April 22, 2021, 10:47:20 PM »

Hey, at least you're writing multiple times a day, even if it is all over the place.  I hope you can settle into one part of the story so you feel like you're making progress, even though every little bit counts.

Ugh, we had spring snow earlier this week too, but thankfully it didn't stick.  I saw Mare got a decent amount too!  I do think the weather being all over the place makes us all out of sorts.  Hopefully we can all catch up on sleep again this weekend!

The ER reunion was totally worth staying up for!  Two hours of pure joy.  I started crying the moment Anthony Edwards appeared on the screen.  What a dork.  But they were all getting each other teary-eyed with nostalgia, too!  It's on YouTube if anyone else wants to watch: https://youtu.be/q32KZI_3ohI

I have convinced myself to take advantage of the available little spurts instead of avoiding them. I'm embracing the self-cliff hanger, lol. I'm making progress somewhere. I'll get to the end of this one and go, well, since this next one is fairly written, I may as well just finish it, lol. NaNo says at my current pace, I will finish PNecklace in May, so 3/4 of a year is not bad for finishing a novel. At least according to my track record on finishing novels, lol. I think I'll feel better once I get these last two chapters finished before the divergent bit. I always get a little nervous as I get down to only ten chapters ahead of my updates.

I was hoping ours would stick so I could have a snow day. It's been basically every other day: snow, nice, snow, nice, snow, nice. It's exhausting! Catch up on sleep and feel inspired to write pages upon pages of prose!

Aw! Glad you had a great two-hours, cried, and lived the nostalgia. :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #410 on: April 22, 2021, 10:50:35 PM »

I always think I'm going to feel that way after finishing a particularly intense medical drama, but I inevitably end up coming back for more.  I feel that way more about writing than reading, though.  I've never gotten burnt out on reading well-written medical drama by other authors - like I said earlier, I wish there was more of it out there.

I don't think I've ever gotten tired of reading fantasy. It's nice to be able to just get lost in someone else's world for a little while.

It probably had less to do with fantasy epics and more to do with where I was as a person during that time. Finishing PBox was pretty emotionally draining afterward, but in a "I did it" kind of way. But also, "I did it, but I still have to keep doing this whole college thing," lol.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #411 on: April 23, 2021, 06:16:22 PM »

Today's Writing Challenge:

If you're feeling stuck, jot down a list of a few of the tropes, characters, or situations that usually show up in the genre you're currently writing. Which ones do you love, and which ones do you find annoying? Use these as a jumping off point to write a scene featuring one of those things!

We've talked a lot about tropes, but I had to laugh at this because I was watching this week's episode of The Resident earlier and rolled my eyes at the use of the Incurable Cough of Death/Blood from the Mouth trope.

I thought of a YA trope I hate: love triangles. Why can't characters find a person and go "I like this one." Oh no, there are two boys that are into me and they're only slightly different from each other, how will I choose?!? Dating two people at the same time is exhausting! Not only do you have to deal with one dude's drama, you have to deal with two dudes' drama all while you've got your own things going on! It is not worth it.
~*Dee*~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #412 on: April 23, 2021, 06:54:57 PM »

Ugh! I know what you mean about The Resident. I mean, I get why they did that for plot purposes but even still. In real life, she’d go back to the hospital and the doctor would be like “Well.. are tests showed she was fine so it must be something she ate.”
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #413 on: April 24, 2021, 11:59:23 AM »

I think that's what PBox is demographic-wise since I don't know that I'd call it a "coming of age" novel necessarily, but it's definitely in there fairly prevalently -- especially with Nick and Minako sharing a lot of the POV role and being utterly clueless about their place in the world (at least they have each other). Awkwardly enough, it's a bit of a continuity snarl since it was very much written to be a Never Gone-era fanfic, but reading back over it, I've always felt like Nick read 18 more than 25, lol. And now as I keep going on the story, I'm just leaning into that? Definitely in the OF version (deciding between 16 and 17 at this point), but even in PNecklace. In the edit, I made the timeline in the fantasy part to be a lot more vague intentionally to reflect that feeling. Really all of the Boys except for maybe Kevin read more early twenties than late twenties/early thirties. I don't know if that was due to my age at the time or what. (See, I told you that this aside got long).

It's probably good to keep it intentionally vague about the time period; that gives the story a more timeless feel.  That's interesting that the guys all read younger than they were meant to be.  It could be because you were also younger when you originally wrote them.  I used to worry about that when I was a teenager writing about them in their twenties.  I would wonder if their way of thinking seemed too immature.  There's a big difference between a sixteen-year-old and a twenty-six-year-old.  Now that we're adults too, the age difference doesn't seem to matter as much.  I don't feel like I'm that different at thirty-six than I was at twenty-six, not compared to sixteen.

Anyway... so I was looking over a list of newly published YA Books and was like, alright fairies, vampires, werewolves, yup, ooh a couple with demons. But then one of them had a main character named Nick and I went "oh no!" I googled into it and the premises are really different and the character seems really different, but I had a heart attack for a long time as I googled. It also made me think on my novel's DEI with a cast full of mostly white pretty boys since they were all based on actual boy bands originally.

LOL I remember having a similar moment when I was wanting to rewrite Broken as an OF YA novel.  Lurlene McDaniel published a new novel about a male high school swimming star who loses his leg to bone cancer, which sounded so similar to my plot of Nick as a high school basketball player.  I was like, "Are you serious??"  Her books never featured male protagonists before, so I thought at least the fact that my main character was a boy made it somewhat unique in that genre.  I bought the book and read it; it wasn't really that similar to Broken or very good.  (I realized I had grown out of her books by then.)   I guess the lesson there is there's always going to be something similar out there, even in the world of fantasy, but don't let it derail you because no one else writes like you.  As long as you're not outright copying someone else, you're fine.  I get the point you made earlier about being a sponge, too, and worrying you're going to inadvertently copy if you read too many books in the same genre.  That's another reason I'm liking memoirs lately, because drawing on real life experiences isn't the same as copying someone else's made-up ideas.

I wonder why "crying and dying" is more YA. Is it too real of an adult fear for adult fiction? Just like we say in our fanfic circles, if it's not out there then that's all the more reason to put it out there.

Yeah, maybe.  Although reading them as a kid is what created that fear LOL.  At least as an adult, I can talk myself down from hypochondriac thoughts better than I could as a kid, when I would read a book about a girl who got leukemia and then cry myself to sleep, convinced that I also had leukemia.  Now I'm just like, "Eh, I haven't died yet, so it's probably no big deal."

I tried to think of universally hated books and my mind went to A Million Little Pieces, lol. Is that it? I think it's good to balance fiction and non-fiction as much as you can for inspiration. It's different angles on the same subject. Are you reading thick memoirs or are they more excerpts?

No.

Absolutely.  Memoirs are super helpful because you can never really know what something is like unless you've gone through it yourself.  Reading the experience of someone who has gone through it in their own words is a good way to understand that perspective.  Both of the memoirs I've read or am reading are fairly short, I think, probably under 300 pages, although I have the Kindle versions so it's hard to tell.

My next aside, pitching seems like a difficult thing to do for a verbose person who sucks at summaries, lol. The only real intel I've gathered is that "standalone with series potential" may be my bread and butter in this department.

Yes, I think writing a pitch sounds like an intimidating part of the publishing process.  You have to summarize and pitch your book just right so that it sounds like something that will sell, but also something different enough from what's already out there on the shelves.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #414 on: April 24, 2021, 12:08:49 PM »

I have convinced myself to take advantage of the available little spurts instead of avoiding them. I'm embracing the self-cliff hanger, lol. I'm making progress somewhere. I'll get to the end of this one and go, well, since this next one is fairly written, I may as well just finish it, lol. NaNo says at my current pace, I will finish PNecklace in May, so 3/4 of a year is not bad for finishing a novel. At least according to my track record on finishing novels, lol. I think I'll feel better once I get these last two chapters finished before the divergent bit. I always get a little nervous as I get down to only ten chapters ahead of my updates.

That's not bad at all!!  I think trying to write an entire novel in a month - even a first draft - is overly ambitious.  Looking at you, NaNoWriMo.  If I locked myself in a room for a month with nowhere else to be and nothing else to do, I could maybe churn out 50,000 words, which would be a short novel, but that is not realistic.

Ten chapters is still a lot when you're posting one a week; that's still a solid two months of updates you have hoarded.  But I know what you mean.  I start to feel that way when I haven't finished a chapter in a while.

I thought of a YA trope I hate: love triangles. Why can't characters find a person and go "I like this one." Oh no, there are two boys that are into me and they're only slightly different from each other, how will I choose?!? Dating two people at the same time is exhausting! Not only do you have to deal with one dude's drama, you have to deal with two dudes' drama all while you've got your own things going on! It is not worth it.

Yes!!  And why do they always involve two guys lusting after the same girl?  It's usually not two girls and a guy.  And the girls at the center are infuriating.  Stop playing with these boys' emotions and just choose!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #415 on: April 24, 2021, 12:13:26 PM »

Ugh! I know what you mean about The Resident. I mean, I get why they did that for plot purposes but even still. In real life, she’d go back to the hospital and the doctor would be like “Well.. are tests showed she was fine so it must be something she ate.”
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #416 on: April 24, 2021, 01:53:27 PM »

It's probably good to keep it intentionally vague about the time period; that gives the story a more timeless feel.  That's interesting that the guys all read younger than they were meant to be.  It could be because you were also younger when you originally wrote them.  I used to worry about that when I was a teenager writing about them in their twenties.  I would wonder if their way of thinking seemed too immature.  There's a big difference between a sixteen-year-old and a twenty-six-year-old.  Now that we're adults too, the age difference doesn't seem to matter as much.  I don't feel like I'm that different at thirty-six than I was at twenty-six, not compared to sixteen.

PNecklace as a whole is more vague. I'm trying to be more concrete to my fantasy timeline than to Backstreet time. The beginning and end of PBox is solidly "it's spring of 2005," but the rest of it, I took out hard references to "it's been x years" or "this happened x years ago" just because the timeline doesn't make sense. Mainly a twenty-five year old dating an eighteen-year-old. Maybe that's the real fantasy in the story, lol.

It's easier to be more concrete and less vague in the OF version, which I do like. And it's easier to adjust "reads eighteen Nick" a year or two down. Plus it makes everything slightly less horrible, lol. Like poor twenty-five year old Nick was stuck in that cave for ten to twelve years going slowly insane if the timeline remains accurate. A sixteen-year-old Nick would be like three years. Still horrible, but not as extreme. Realistically fanfic PBox Nick should not be as well adjusted as he is. Who fed him? Was there water? If it was that terrible, why didn't he just leave even if he was scared and thought he deserved it? I have so many questions for seventeen-year-old me, lol. Also, why did seventeen-year-old me want to psychologicall y torture her beloved Nick in such a gruesome way?

I know when I was younger, "do the Boys read believably older than me?" and "do the Boys read believably as... well boys?" were questions I often asked myself. But I didn't really stress about it. Now when I look back, it's pretty noticeable. At least "don't read older," the jury is still out on "believably as boys," so I guess they read believably as male?

Twenty-six year old me and thirty-three year old me are pretty much the same, though thirty-three year old me has her life together a little better. She's not trying to be involved in love triangles anymore, lol. On the contrary, twenty-three year old me is still pretty different from thirty-three year old me. Not at the core or anything, but definitely confidence in who I am as a person. Twenty-three year old me cared way too much about comparing her life to everyone else and worrying that she was "behind her friends getting married" or "too mature for her friends still acting like college sophomores." On a whole, present me is a lot better about keeping feelings about life centered on myself, and possibly the hubs, lol.

LOL I remember having a similar moment when I was wanting to rewrite Broken as an OF YA novel.  Lurlene McDaniel published a new novel about a male high school swimming star who loses his leg to bone cancer, which sounded so similar to my plot of Nick as a high school basketball player.  I was like, "Are you serious??"  Her books never featured male protagonists before, so I thought at least the fact that my main character was a boy made it somewhat unique in that genre.  I bought the book and read it; it wasn't really that similar to Broken or very good.  (I realized I had grown out of her books by then.)   I guess the lesson there is there's always going to be something similar out there, even in the world of fantasy, but don't let it derail you because no one else writes like you.  As long as you're not outright copying someone else, you're fine.  I get the point you made earlier about being a sponge, too, and worrying you're going to inadvertently copy if you read too many books in the same genre.  That's another reason I'm liking memoirs lately, because drawing on real life experiences isn't the same as copying someone else's made-up ideas.

No, Lurlene! It's like she sensed someone was coming into her niche market on "crying and dying" besides Nicholas Sparks, lol. Do any of his books feature male protagonists being sick either? I can't think of one. I'm bummed you read it and have a more mature view of Lurlene instead of looking back with nostalgia and joy, but it's good you read it just to see how similar they were.

It definitely ruined my joy at seeing books about demons for half a day, lol. I was too focused on whether I would have to change Nick's name. My one non-negotiable outside of, you know, the non-fanfic elements I made up myself, lol.

I think memoirs are great for that, especially because you can take different accounts and weave them together with your own ideas to create a unique experience, like "this seems pretty standard, but these things vary."

Yeah, maybe.  Although reading them as a kid is what created that fear LOL.  At least as an adult, I can talk myself down from hypochondriac thoughts better than I could as a kid, when I would read a book about a girl who got leukemia and then cry myself to sleep, convinced that I also had leukemia.  Now I'm just like, "Eh, I haven't died yet, so it's probably no big deal."

Bridge to Terabitha was my big adult fear book, lol. I think my melt down about it also turned into a meltdown about The Last Unicorn. Such a melodramatic special snowflake as a child, lol. I'm a bit of a hypochondirac myself, but I blame my mother for that. It's more like "leaping to the worst possible conclusion first" for everything, it's just easy to do that with medical things because of Web MD always saying "and I guess it could be cancer."

No.

Hard no, lol. I was joking. It didn't fit what your story sounds like, but I just wanted to ask for fun.

Absolutely.  Memoirs are super helpful because you can never really know what something is like unless you've gone through it yourself.  Reading the experience of someone who has gone through it in their own words is a good way to understand that perspective.  Both of the memoirs I've read or am reading are fairly short, I think, probably under 300 pages, although I have the Kindle versions so it's hard to tell.

It's good that they're short so that the research doesn't detract from writing too much. I'm glad there's resources out there to help get perspective. I wouldn't want anything we all write in our stories to befall any of us in our day-to-day lives just to provide perspective.

Yes, I think writing a pitch sounds like an intimidating part of the publishing process.  You have to summarize and pitch your book just right so that it sounds like something that will sell, but also something different enough from what's already out there on the shelves.

Yes! And summarize it to its bare bones instead of getting caught up in the tiny details that are important to you, but not necessary in a summary. I would probably have to rewrite that more than the actual novel, lol.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #417 on: April 24, 2021, 02:16:44 PM »

That's not bad at all!!  I think trying to write an entire novel in a month - even a first draft - is overly ambitious.  Looking at you, NaNoWriMo.  If I locked myself in a room for a month with nowhere else to be and nothing else to do, I could maybe churn out 50,000 words, which would be a short novel, but that is not realistic.

Yeah, my 60,000 words is not working out and that's only a third of this novel, lol. I think it was easier in the beginning because everything was fresh and new and even if I wrote ahead, it was still coming up soon. Now there's nothing I want to write ahead in it. And there's more to do outside of novel writing than I had in November. Maybe I need to rewatch last season's Masked Singer and/or DWTS. Get some of the early magic back.

Ten chapters is still a lot when you're posting one a week; that's still a solid two months of updates you have hoarded.  But I know what you mean.  I start to feel that way when I haven't finished a chapter in a while.

I keep telling myself that too! Every time I freak out a little, I say "You have until June/July to figure this out. It's going to be fine." But it still makes me a little anxious, lol. I think it's because I enjoying knowing the chapters are there whereas when I wasn't hoarding, they just weren't available to lean on so I had to force myself through things a lot more.

Yes!!  And why do they always involve two guys lusting after the same girl?  It's usually not two girls and a guy.  And the girls at the center are infuriating.  Stop playing with these boys' emotions and just choose!

I wonder if stories with more LGBTQ representation vary it a little more. I was also thinking that two girls and a guy is rare, but I can't even think of one that's a girl and a guy lusting over the same girl/guy or even three folks of the same gender. Maybe I'd mind it less if the dynamics switched up a bit.

Yes!! It's crazy that everyone involved knows it's going on and no one ever goes, "You know what, I'm out. This is too much drama for me." Like they all just go along with it until the girl at the center chooses! Outside of fictionland, I feel like it's more common with casual dating to see multiple  people at once, but that's too exhausting to get to the point where you'd be equally stringing two people along. I get exhausted just reading it in fiction knowing that it's exhausting. And why does the girl at the center never end up deciding "I guess it was neither of you. I pick myself, I've got stuff to do." instead?

I get the inherent appeal of "so many people like me at once, I'm so lucky," but I just hate it so much.

As far as trying to find things to watch that is in your favored genre, I’ve been pretty lucky finding stuff, but I do find myself always comparing things to either Supernatural, Alias or Battlestar Gallactica and nothing has ever surpassed any of them.

I think I'm lucky that tv-wise, the shows I like best are ensemble sitcoms or dramedies, so it's lot easier to enjoy them without comparing them to each other. If I don't like the ensemble, I won't watch it.

Reading wise, I’m really not picky. The book just isn’t allowed to suck. lol

lmao! This is so quintessential ly Mare. How often do you decide a book sucks? If you decide it sucks, do you stop reading and never look at it again or do you still finish the book?
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #418 on: April 24, 2021, 02:22:45 PM »

I was exhausted yesterday, I even took a nap, so I woke up around 8am feeling so refreshed and thinking it would be a productive day. Then I went to make my coffee...

I suspected my coffee maker was on its last legs because it was doing about half the coffee I had prepared it for yesterday and sure enough, there was still water that hadn't drained, but the drip tray was full of water that wasn't there yesterday. Sigh... Thankfully, I had another keurig coffee maker in the garage that was brand new because it was a gift to use in my classroom, but I never took it to work because coffee maker and pre-Ks sounded like a disaster waiting to happen. But then it took half an hour to set up after digging it out of the garage. And this was on top of the half hour I'd already spent washing dishes because I'd wanted coffee and my Backstreet Boys mug was dirty.

I'm now on my second cup of coffee and still haven't written a thing, but I for sure earned my coffee today. The streak still lives from yesterday and I think I'm finally ready to get started. Hope everyone else's writing is going more smoothly!
~*Dee*~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #419 on: April 24, 2021, 02:23:38 PM »

Yeah, it's all for the drama.  By the way, Mina better not really be leaving that show because she's the best and most unique character on it.

I hope do get a chance to watch the ER reunion!  It was so good!

That's me with medical drama shows; I compare everything to ER, and no show has ever even come close.

She did leave the show
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 50