Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)  (Read 134185 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)
« Reply #495 on: May 01, 2021, 10:35:30 PM »

Same. Having a goal and not just "keeping track to keep track" did push me to try a little better, though not quite to the extent of the beginning of the novel. I'm here to keep encouraging you! Hopefully we continue the streak.

The line is definitely what I missed when I was just keeping track on my own. There's something really satisfying about watching it ebb close to the par and then pass it. I missed it this past month; I think I aimed way to high, lol.

I have an idea of what I might write, but we'll see when the time comes. I think Snail is at the top of my list post-PNecklace since I kind of pushed it aside for a bit. I hope you double MBK by that time too! I'd be excited for you if you were able to finish it by the end of summer!  :biggrin:

I mean, 50,000 words in a month sounds unachievable to me, and yours was 60,000!  But I understand wanting to finish the story.  I hope you'll be able to do it with this next goal!

Aww, I almost forgot about Snail, but you definitely need to write that when time and inspiration allows.

I don't think I will finish MBK by the end of summer unless it ends up being shorter than anticipated.  I don't feel like I'm at the halfway point in the story yet, although you never know.  Maybe I will surprise myself by being concise!  But if I keep going at this pace, I could probably finish it this year, which would be nice.

It did occur to me the other day that this story has definite sequel potential, which is a scary thought.  I vowed I would never write another sequel because BMS was the exception to my otherwise bad track record with sequels.  I probably won't write one because of that, but I'm just putting it out there that the thought did cross my mind.

That's why I have my little document where I copy and paste it over every day. I hand counted in November when I started and it was excruciating. Copy/pasting and then hitting the word count button was much easier.

I was also thinking of tracking my word count per session to see just how much I really get done rather than guessing the number of hours I wrote. I updated my writing for today and I'm at 576 so far and it says I'll be done in July. Not too bad, but a little later than anticipated, lol. You're starting very strong! I believe in you getting to 50,000, which is only 25,000 per month/a little more than you wrote this month and, like you said, you can make up in June if you need to. You've got this!

Copying and pasting every change sounds like a lot, but it would definitely make it easier to keep track of the exact word count per day.  I don't count my hand, but highlight and use the word count button.

I think tracking the hours and how much I actually get written in those hours will be interesting.  Thank you Google Docs version history for tracking the exact times I make edits.

You're off to a great start!  I'm hoping to get a few more hundred words in before I head to bed for the night.  I've been off my routine today because I mowed my lawn this morning instead of staying in bed writing for hours like I have been doing on Saturday and Sunday mornings, and then I took a nap this afternoon, so it hasn't been a productive writing day.  But I'm back at it now and plan to stay in bed and write tomorrow morning.  I do think having the extra month will take the pressure off me in May, but hopefully I can stay on track and be in a good place by the beginning of June.

I'm very excited about that. Now I can dilly dally for a couple months if I need to, lol. I don't want to, but it's good knowing the option is there.

I did set it for this month, but then I remembered that I have some stuff to do tomorrow and only wrote for an hour so far today, so... Unless I churn out the rest of this chapter and another one today, I don't see it happening. I did some math and I would have to spend two days on each chapter and that just seems like too short of a turn around time, to be honest (especially knowing how long I usually let a non-Nick focused chapter sit and sit). I probably will switch it to June and then if I finish early, I finish early. There's no harm in that.

Absolutely!  Two days per chapter sounds doable if all you were doing was writing, but when you're still working and getting out and doing other things, that does seem like a stretch.  On a productive weekend, I could write a chapter in two days, but definitely not during the work week.  No shame in making it a two-month goal.  It's more achievable that way.

I think PBox Nick considers it a Nick story, lol. I'd call it a "group story with Nick as the most frequent POV character." Or Minako, they switch off most of the time. But PNecklace has definitely shifted more to Nick because he's got more going on to react to or angst about. Couple that with the fact that he's a spotlight hog and a clear author favorite and... well, let's call it a toss up. I do try to switch it up, but Nick has the most to say and do all the time being the doer without regard for consequences that he is, lol.

LOL From the way you talk, Nick definitely seems to consider it his story.  That's okay though.  It even makes sense because Nick tends to steal the spotlight in real life too LOL.  I'm a Brian girl, and even I have a hard time taking my eyes off Nick at concerts.  And when he notices people in the audience not watching him, he tries even harder to get them to look at him LOL.  He's an attention whore.  Not that it matters, but he's also good for ratings LOL.  You're more likely to get readers when the most of the focus is on Nick.

lol Poor Howie. I still feel for Howie, but like you said, he does end up being "just kind of there" more often than not. I am glad that you're giving Kevin time to suf... (ahem) shine in this new novel. It's good to test that out at some point in your fanfic career. ;) And, as always, I'm delighted it's going well when Kevin's usually not the focus of your storylines.

I have learned I can write about any of them with the right storyline.  I enjoyed writing Howie in SAMS because his storyline was so dramatic and compelling, but unless I can come up with another great storyline for him, I'm not sure I have another Howie novel in me.  It's the same way with Kevin.  I'm having an easier time writing him than I thought I would, but a lot of that has to do with the situation I've put him in.  This is me being more plot-driven than character-driven LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #496 on: May 01, 2021, 11:26:36 PM »

I mean, 50,000 words in a month sounds unachievable to me, and yours was 60,000!  But I understand wanting to finish the story.  I hope you'll be able to do it with this next goal!

Aww, I almost forgot about Snail, but you definitely need to write that when time and inspiration allows.

I don't think I will finish MBK by the end of summer unless it ends up being shorter than anticipated.  I don't feel like I'm at the halfway point in the story yet, although you never know.  Maybe I will surprise myself by being concise!  But if I keep going at this pace, I could probably finish it this year, which would be nice.

I just really thought I was so excited to get to the end, but then I realized that the little middle arc was not done and there were a couple of things I had to get to before the end drew near. I probably aimed too high with 60,000 especially with none of my other months being close to that except for maybe PBox editing January. But, I figured, if it can't be dreamed, it can't be done, so I dreamed. And since it was a personal deadline/goal and not a "if I don't finish this, I have nothing to post," it was all good.

You may have forgotten Snail, but as you know, the snails never forget. ;)

I'll rephrase then, because if you don't feel at the halfway point, then no need to rush it. But, I do hope it's a very productive summer! Whatever that means.

It did occur to me the other day that this story has definite sequel potential, which is a scary thought.  I vowed I would never write another sequel because BMS was the exception to my otherwise bad track record with sequels.  I probably won't write one because of that, but I'm just putting it out there that the thought did cross my mind.

I see your use of "probably" and not "never." I say, consider it if it has sequel potential. If you feel yourself nearing the end of whatever arc this story is meant to tell and you know there's so much more to say, then it deserves a sequel. That or you realize that there's this end that the characters won't be ready to reach without a whole separate arc added that is connected, but not so connected that it's the same novel.

But you know me, I'm a big believer in a sequel or a series if the story and the characters warrant it. That's a lot of why I'm back here a decade later after all. (Thanks PBox Nick.)

Copying and pasting every change sounds like a lot, but it would definitely make it easier to keep track of the exact word count per day.  I don't count my hand, but highlight and use the word count button.

I think tracking the hours and how much I actually get written in those hours will be interesting.  Thank you Google Docs version history for tracking the exact times I make edits.

It's not too bad when they're large or at least decent sized chunks, though you're right, the one word changes are a little tedious. I counted by hand when it was ten words or less and highlighted and hit word count if it was more, then added it up on a calculator. It was a lot. Copying/pasting is much faster and now it's just part of my routine, so if I change one word, I just pop over and type it in the document then.

I do like the version history for that. Keeps me on my toes. I feel like this next session will be a lot less productive than that first hour today, lol.

You're off to a great start!  I'm hoping to get a few more hundred words in before I head to bed for the night.  I've been off my routine today because I mowed my lawn this morning instead of staying in bed writing for hours like I have been doing on Saturday and Sunday mornings, and then I took a nap this afternoon, so it hasn't been a productive writing day.  But I'm back at it now and plan to stay in bed and write tomorrow morning.  I do think having the extra month will take the pressure off me in May, but hopefully I can stay on track and be in a good place by the beginning of June.

I've gotten 329 more since I sat back down, so it's going.

Good for you! Mowing the lawn is tough and deserves a post-mowing nap! I was also not as productive as I wanted to be today. I slept in after last night, then we went and picked out a new washer and dryer at Home Depot, then I wrote for an hour, then it was the Derby, and then I got back home at 8ish and here we are. Not sure how tomorrow will go either, so maybe having May to be nice to ourselves will be good for us.

I think you've got tomorrow! You know your lawn is nice and mowed, so you can just relax and write dramatic montage scenes, lol.

Absolutely!  Two days per chapter sounds doable if all you were doing was writing, but when you're still working and getting out and doing other things, that does seem like a stretch.  On a productive weekend, I could write a chapter in two days, but definitely not during the work week.  No shame in making it a two-month goal.  It's more achievable that way.

Especially when it's May. May's always kind of a hard month work-wise. I changed it and now it says I have four days to finish each chapter. I think that will be easier.

LOL From the way you talk, Nick definitely seems to consider it his story.  That's okay though.  It even makes sense because Nick tends to steal the spotlight in real life too LOL.  I'm a Brian girl, and even I have a hard time taking my eyes off Nick at concerts.  And when he notices people in the audience not watching him, he tries even harder to get them to look at him LOL.  He's an attention whore.  Not that it matters, but he's also good for ratings LOL.  You're more likely to get readers when the most of the focus is on Nick.

He sure does! And he's stoked since he gets his way all the time. Though at the moment, he is sad and saying, "I changed my mind, I did not want this at all." It's his own fault. But we get a nice Nick and Kevin moment out of it.

He does do that, the greedy spotlight hog, lol! Clearly he is not paying attention to me always watching him no matter what extravagant antics he gets up to. I admit, I watch the others too, but you can bet I will pay attention to Nick, lol. I do wonder if my read count is people going "A story with Nick on the banner that updates every week?" Then they see it's fantasy and weigh their options on if that matters to them. :shrug: I base my reader reaction off Tracy and my one kudos, lol. I miss reviews and a lack of spam bots.

I have learned I can write about any of them with the right storyline.  I enjoyed writing Howie in SAMS because his storyline was so dramatic and compelling, but unless I can come up with another great storyline for him, I'm not sure I have another Howie novel in me.  It's the same way with Kevin.  I'm having an easier time writing him than I thought I would, but a lot of that has to do with the situation I've put him in.  This is me being more plot-driven than character-driven LOL.

I bet there's another Howie story in you! I think we've talked about it before though, Nick is definitely more adaptable to more stories, then AJ or Brian, and I'd say Howie and Kevin least. Or maybe that's just us. People who wrote Howie and Kevin focused stories need to come back and weigh in, lol. I think when the right stories come along for the right Boys, you'll have an easy time writing them again. :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #497 on: May 02, 2021, 12:51:25 AM »

I just really thought I was so excited to get to the end, but then I realized that the little middle arc was not done and there were a couple of things I had to get to before the end drew near. I probably aimed too high with 60,000 especially with none of my other months being close to that except for maybe PBox editing January. But, I figured, if it can't be dreamed, it can't be done, so I dreamed. And since it was a personal deadline/goal and not a "if I don't finish this, I have nothing to post," it was all good.

You may have forgotten Snail, but as you know, the snails never forget. ;)

I'll rephrase then, because if you don't feel at the halfway point, then no need to rush it. But, I do hope it's a very productive summer! Whatever that means.

I get that feeling.  That was me with AHTIM, thinking it was going to be 40 chapters until I got to about Chapter 38 and thought, "Yeah, there's no way I'm going to wrap this up in two more chapters."  It ended up being 50 chapters and taking like two months longer than I thought it would, but better that than rushing the ending.

As good as it feels to finish a story, it's also nice to savor one that you're enjoying writing.  Once it's done, you're back to that uncertain feeling of "What now??"  So take your time and enjoy the next couple of months with this part of the PBox saga.  And then write the snail story!

I see your use of "probably" and not "never." I say, consider it if it has sequel potential. If you feel yourself nearing the end of whatever arc this story is meant to tell and you know there's so much more to say, then it deserves a sequel. That or you realize that there's this end that the characters won't be ready to reach without a whole separate arc added that is connected, but not so connected that it's the same novel.

But you know me, I'm a big believer in a sequel or a series if the story and the characters warrant it. That's a lot of why I'm back here a decade later after all. (Thanks PBox Nick.)

LOL I know better than to say never because then I'll have to eat my words later when I inevitably end up starting a sequel!  I'm not ruling out the possibility.  I know exactly where the story arc of MBK will end, but I can see the potential for another story arc set a few years in the future.  I guess it will just depend on whether or not it's something I'll feel like writing after finishing this one.  Right now I'm leaning towards "probably not," but we'll see.

I've gotten 329 more since I sat back down, so it's going.

Good for you! Mowing the lawn is tough and deserves a post-mowing nap! I was also not as productive as I wanted to be today. I slept in after last night, then we went and picked out a new washer and dryer at Home Depot, then I wrote for an hour, then it was the Derby, and then I got back home at 8ish and here we are. Not sure how tomorrow will go either, so maybe having May to be nice to ourselves will be good for us.

I think you've got tomorrow! You know your lawn is nice and mowed, so you can just relax and write dramatic montage scenes, lol.

Good for you!  And ooh, a new washer and dryer - exciting!

Yes, that's what I'm hoping, that tomorrow will be more productive.  I probably need to get groceries at some point, but otherwise there's nothing I absolutely have to do.  And knowing me, if I am productive, I will end up putting off grocery shopping until Monday so I don't have to leave the house tomorrow LOL.

I did get almost 500 more words written tonight, and now Nano says my writing speed is 3 words per minute and I will finish my goal on July 22, 2021.  At least I'm in the right year now!  Progress! LOL

I do wonder if my read count is people going "A story with Nick on the banner that updates every week?" Then they see it's fantasy and weigh their options on if that matters to them. :shrug: I base my reader reaction off Tracy and my one kudos, lol. I miss reviews and a lack of spam bots.

LOL I could see that happening.  I honestly don't think there are many people who still read on AC.  I don't; I read on AO3 so I can leave a comment at the bottom without having to go to a different site.  I miss reviews too.  I could be wrong, but I bet most of the read count on AC is from bots.

I'm still trying to figure out the reader culture on AO3, but it seems like people there prefer short stories to novels and are less likely to read a long story that's updated daily than a shorter novel that's updated weekly.  I got way more kudos and comments on Heroic Measures and The Road to Bethlehem, both shorter novels/novellas that I posted there as I was writing them, than Curtain Call or Song for the Undead, long novels that I posted a chapter per day.  But that also could be because most of the comments I do get on there are from the few people who were already reading my stories here or on my site and followed me over there.  Why would they comment on an old story they've already read?  I like the kudo feature there because at least I can see who else clicked on my story and liked it enough to leave a kudo, even if they never leave a comment - and most of them don't.

A search of the fantasy tag within the BSB fandom on AO3 shows that unless the story is also a slash, it's not likely to get many kudos or comments.  Have you ever thought about including a romantic Frick/Frack storyline in the PBox series? LOL  It seems like that's the key to success over there.  And it has to be Frick/Frack - Nowie slash is not so popular, as I found out.

I bet there's another Howie story in you! I think we've talked about it before though, Nick is definitely more adaptable to more stories, then AJ or Brian, and I'd say Howie and Kevin least. Or maybe that's just us. People who wrote Howie and Kevin focused stories need to come back and weigh in, lol. I think when the right stories come along for the right Boys, you'll have an easy time writing them again. :)

I think personal preference also comes into play to some extent, but not always, or I would have written more Brian stories than I have as an adult.  I definitely have a harder time thinking of good ideas for him than for Nick.  I don't try as hard to think of ideas for the other three, but when one comes to me that is perfect for AJ, Howie, or Kevin, I'm willing to write it.  If I got another great idea for a Howie story down the road, I would absolutely write it.  But like you said, it has to be the right idea.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #498 on: May 02, 2021, 04:11:30 PM »

I get that feeling.  That was me with AHTIM, thinking it was going to be 40 chapters until I got to about Chapter 38 and thought, "Yeah, there's no way I'm going to wrap this up in two more chapters."  It ended up being 50 chapters and taking like two months longer than I thought it would, but better that than rushing the ending.

That's the silly part. I knew I had still had twenty chapters to go at that point, lol. Back when I was writing what I'm posting now is when I figured out that I couldn't wrap this whole story up in this book though, so I get you on the realizing it needs a little more.

As good as it feels to finish a story, it's also nice to savor one that you're enjoying writing.  Once it's done, you're back to that uncertain feeling of "What now??"  So take your time and enjoy the next couple of months with this part of the PBox saga.  And then write the snail story!

I need this advice to remember to live in the moment in my writing since I love to jump around, lol. Closing my writing ahead document has curbed this desire a bit. I just checked and 145 words of Snail exist on paper and not in my head, lol.

LOL I know better than to say never because then I'll have to eat my words later when I inevitably end up starting a sequel!  I'm not ruling out the possibility.  I know exactly where the story arc of MBK will end, but I can see the potential for another story arc set a few years in the future.  I guess it will just depend on whether or not it's something I'll feel like writing after finishing this one.  Right now I'm leaning towards "probably not," but we'll see.

I'm just trying it get you to say it one time. Just to see how it feels. ;) But that's probably about as likely as convincing you to write anything out of order, lol.

It sounds like you have some time until you need to think about your WADD, so I say focus on MBK now and worry about potential sequels or Brian horror stories when the time comes. :)

Good for you!  And ooh, a new washer and dryer - exciting!

Yes, that's what I'm hoping, that tomorrow will be more productive.  I probably need to get groceries at some point, but otherwise there's nothing I absolutely have to do.  And knowing me, if I am productive, I will end up putting off grocery shopping until Monday so I don't have to leave the house tomorrow LOL.

I did get almost 500 more words written tonight, and now Nano says my writing speed is 3 words per minute and I will finish my goal on July 22, 2021.  At least I'm in the right year now!  Progress! LOL

I ended up with 1,064 yesterday and 450 this morning. We finished our meal prep for the week and I'm about to pop back to the grind after a quick shower and see what happens. Right now, NaNo says I write about six words per minute with an average of 757 per day. At this rate, I will finish on June 22nd. But I'm also about 900 words away from finishing this chapter, so I think I can do that today. Wish me luck!

And yes, the new appliances were both exciting and slightly better than our washer catching on fire. It comes next week, but the dryer is back ordered.

Grocery shopping on Monday is the worst though. It's Monday and it requires a trip to the grocery store? Yuck. Hope that either the writing is going well or that you acquired food. I would call both a productive day!

I knew you'd get in the correct year! Now get that writing speed up with a productive day! You've got this!

LOL I could see that happening.  I honestly don't think there are many people who still read on AC.  I don't; I read on AO3 so I can leave a comment at the bottom without having to go to a different site.  I miss reviews too.  I could be wrong, but I bet most of the read count on AC is from bots.

I read on here and then go over. Give y'alls stories all the little read counts they deserve. :) I'm choosing to believe that it's actual people because it makes me feel less sad about our dwindling fanfic fandom.

I'm still trying to figure out the reader culture on AO3, but it seems like people there prefer short stories to novels and are less likely to read a long story that's updated daily than a shorter novel that's updated weekly.  I got way more kudos and comments on Heroic Measures and The Road to Bethlehem, both shorter novels/novellas that I posted there as I was writing them, than Curtain Call or Song for the Undead, long novels that I posted a chapter per day.  But that also could be because most of the comments I do get on there are from the few people who were already reading my stories here or on my site and followed me over there.  Why would they comment on an old story they've already read?  I like the kudo feature there because at least I can see who else clicked on my story and liked it enough to leave a kudo, even if they never leave a comment - and most of them don't.

A search of the fantasy tag within the BSB fandom on AO3 shows that unless the story is also a slash, it's not likely to get many kudos or comments.  Have you ever thought about including a romantic Frick/Frack storyline in the PBox series? LOL  It seems like that's the key to success over there.  And it has to be Frick/Frack - Nowie slash is not so popular, as I found out.

That makes sense because most of what's there are one shots rather than even novellas. I think I looked into that once? When the stories started being more than one chapter. I think if it's been a while since you've read a story and decided to reread it, you might review again. I know I would. But I think you're right, it does take commitment to get through a novel that you're reading on both the author's pace and yours. Like with an entire novel that's there, you can read it on your own time as much as you want. But if an author is only posting once a week (or less or more), then you may not be available on their schedule. I do like the kudos feature as well. It's less commitment than a review, but you can still let the author know that you're looking at their stuff.

Only in the sense of Brian's jokes about sharing Nick without his express consent, lol. I'd call them Frick&Frack heterosexual life partners more than Frick/Frack power couple. I've also never catered to what's popular anyway, but I did care more about not getting as much feedback when I was younger. But now that most of us aren't getting any sort of substantial amount of feedback, it feels like the right scale for writing fantasy and leaving for a decade, lol. Like I said, it makes me less sad to think my read count here is people and not spam bots. Because then I can feel like people are reading at least.

I think personal preference also comes into play to some extent, but not always, or I would have written more Brian stories than I have as an adult.  I definitely have a harder time thinking of good ideas for him than for Nick.  I don't try as hard to think of ideas for the other three, but when one comes to me that is perfect for AJ, Howie, or Kevin, I'm willing to write it.  If I got another great idea for a Howie story down the road, I would absolutely write it.  But like you said, it has to be the right idea.

All good points. It's either that or you've written several good ideas for Brian and don't want to repeat them too much. Is there a story that you wrote way back when that you ever thought "If only I just got the idea for that now?"

I feel like spotlight hog Nick comprises most of my ideas, so I don't know if that's personal preference or what, lol. I think most of my better ideas start out as group ideas and then Nick slowly comes in and monopolizes it. Picture it. I'm just writing away and hear the Jaws theme in the distance, it gets slowly closer/louder, then as it gets loudest, Nick taps on my brain and says "Hello, it's me again. This group story, it is now my story. Carry on." lol!

Maybe someday I'll have a Howie idea. That would be something.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #499 on: May 02, 2021, 05:00:58 PM »

In this week's edition of Dee's novel goes meta, spotlight hog Nick breaks the fourth wall:

Nick groaned and held his head in his hand. “This is frustrating. It feels like the more things we learn, the more problems we have. And things that don’t seem important at all end up being really important. I wish there was a way to know what was important and what wasn’t.”

Everything is important in your hero's journey, Nick. Hope you enjoy your new problems. ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 08:17:47 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #500 on: May 02, 2021, 06:49:07 PM »

I need this advice to remember to live in the moment in my writing since I love to jump around, lol. Closing my writing ahead document has curbed this desire a bit. I just checked and 145 words of Snail exist on paper and not in my head, lol.

I need that reminder sometimes too.  Since I don't write ahead, so much of my motivation to write stems from my desire to get to a certain point or scene in a story... but I have to remember to just enjoy the process of writing all the scenes that lead up to that too.

Hey, 145 words, that's a start!

I ended up with 1,064 yesterday and 450 this morning. We finished our meal prep for the week and I'm about to pop back to the grind after a quick shower and see what happens. Right now, NaNo says I write about six words per minute with an average of 757 per day. At this rate, I will finish on June 22nd. But I'm also about 900 words away from finishing this chapter, so I think I can do that today. Wish me luck!

Yay!  Good luck finishing your chapter today!

I had a better writing day too.  I wrote 1,397 words, and now Nano says I'm up to 4 words per minute and will finish on June 19!  I'm at the point where my chapter is long enough to finish, but as usual, I'm not to the end of my scene, so it will go longer.  At least I'm out of montage/summary mode for the time being and in the middle of an actual scene now.

And yes, the new appliances were both exciting and slightly better than our washer catching on fire. It comes next week, but the dryer is back ordered.

Grocery shopping on Monday is the worst though. It's Monday and it requires a trip to the grocery store? Yuck. Hope that either the writing is going well or that you acquired food. I would call both a productive day!

Your washer caught on fire?!  Oh noes!!  That is scary.

Yes, I agree about grocery shopping on a Monday, but sometimes I'd rather just go quickly after work than waste time on my weekend going.  I wrote in bed until 3, so I did not make it to the store LOL.  But hey, now I don't have to put on a bra or real pants today.  I have enough food for dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow and hopefully enough creamer for my coffee tomorrow morning.  It's the need for creamer that will motivate me to go tomorrow.

I've also never catered to what's popular anyway, but I did care more about not getting as much feedback when I was younger. But now that most of us aren't getting any sort of substantial amount of feedback, it feels like the right scale for writing fantasy and leaving for a decade, lol. Like I said, it makes me less sad to think my read count here is people and not spam bots. Because then I can feel like people are reading at least.

Great points.  It's nice when you learn to enjoy writing just for the fun of it and not for the feedback.  I appreciate feedback, but it's just an added bonus and not something I absolutely have to have to be happy with my work.  I don't get as much as I used to in the early to mid-2000s when BSB fanfic was in its prime, but I still have a few loyal readers whom I appreciate.  And it's nice to see the BSB section on AO3 steadily being updated, even though other sites have died down.

All good points. It's either that or you've written several good ideas for Brian and don't want to repeat them too much. Is there a story that you wrote way back when that you ever thought "If only I just got the idea for that now?"

Yeah, I think that's part of it too.  I wrote almost nothing but Brian stories in my first couple years of writing fanfic and used up most of my ideas LOL.  I actually have recycled the basic premises of some of those really old stories more recently.  The first story I finished writing was a Brian heart transplant story, and I started another one of those with a different storyline in 2008.  I also have an old story about AJ contracting HIV from a one-night stand, and I reused that idea too.

I think the idea I wrote back in the day that I wish I had gotten at least a few years later is "Beside the Ocean."  I've always loved the premise of that story.  Nick tries to commit suicide at the beginning of the story and is saved by the girl next door.  They get to know each other and eventually fall in love, and she helps him learn to appreciate life again.  Then he finds out she's secretly been dying of a brain tumor the entire time.  It's cliched and too simplistically written, but I like the contrast of him wanting to throw his life away while she desperately wants to live and knows she's dying.

I feel like spotlight hog Nick comprises most of my ideas, so I don't know if that's personal preference or what, lol. I think most of my better ideas start out as group ideas and then Nick slowly comes in and monopolizes it. Picture it. I'm just writing away and hear the Jaws theme in the distance, it gets slowly closer/louder, then as it gets loudest, Nick taps on my brain and says "Hello, it's me again. This group story, it is now my story. Carry on." lol!

Maybe someday I'll have a Howie idea. That would be something.

LOL at the Jaws metaphor!  Oh Nick.

Hey, you never know!  Sometimes it happens.  Of course, mine was a Howie/Nick story, and my Kevin one is a Kevin & Nick story, so maybe you still need Nick in there to make it happen LOL.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #501 on: May 02, 2021, 06:54:06 PM »

I had to dedicate a separate post to replying to this part because it got too long LOL.

I'm just trying it get you to say it one time. Just to see how it feels. ;) But that's probably about as likely as convincing you to write anything out of order, lol.

I have said it before!  I just spent way too long looking up times when I have said I'll never do something LOL...

like write another sequel:

I've written a few sequels and sworn I will never write another.

or rewrite a story:

I've done the whole rewriting thing once, with Code Blue, and I will NEVER DO IT AGAIN!

I tried to rewrite a story once - Code Blue - and it was such a huge hassle that I will never do it again!!

Going back to what I posted earlier about rewriting, the only fanfic I've rewritten is Code Blue, and I will never do that again!

I've thought of rewriting too, but I've never succeeded at rewriting anything, so I don't think that will ever happen.

or read/write slash:

6)A genre you would never consider writing and why
Slash... I can't take it seriously enough to even read it, so I'd never be able to write it, except to make fun of it.  I just think it's silly, in the Bsb fandom at least.  I don't read any other fandoms, but I can see how it might make more sense in others.  But the Bsb slashes that I've looked at have just made me laugh, when they weren't really meant to be funny LOL.

I am never going to be a slash convert, but writing it (sort of) has been an interesting experience.

or write a Howie or Kevin story:

I like to write about the guys I like best.  And although I like Kevin and Howie a lot, I've just never been moved to write a story just about one of them.

or participate in a writing challenge:

7)Have you ever participated in a writer's challenge before?
Umm... *thinking*... I actually don't think I have.  If I have, it's been awhile.  I've tried to do those before, but I don't like being forced to write something and have my writing limited in certain ways... then it feels more like homework to me.  That's why I could never make writing my career.  I enjoy writing solely for fun and being able to write exactly what I want, when I want.  I know that challenges are a good writing exercise, but I've just never been able to get into them.  I let my writing develop through my stories.

or post a story and then leave it unfinished:

I never post a new story until I'm to the point where I feel like it's going well, I'm into it, I know where it's headed, and I'll be able to see it through.

or write about Nick's heart condition:

I wouldn't touch that idea with a ten-foot pole

or write fanfic in adulthood:

To be honest, I never saw myself still writing Bsb fanfics as an almost-24-year-old LOL

(God, I'm 36 now and still writing it LOL.)

or buy a laptop:

I will never buy another laptop.

(I eventually did, and it lasted less than 3 years, so I stand by my original statement.  Chromebooks for life!)

I don't have a Kindle and will never buy one for myself; I love actual books.

(I have since owned two Kindles and loved reading on them.)

Now to the things I said I will never do (or never do again) and still haven't:

I will never paste song lyrics (especially Nickelback lyrics) into the middle of a scene ever again.

I will never do that again.  Lesson learned.  If it's not my idea or one that I'm really invested in, forget it.

Hey, I'm anti-torturing Baylee in fanfics.  I will never go there.  I save it all for Nick and Brian LOL.

I've killed off Leighanne before, but I would never touch Baylee in one of my fics.  That does seem wrong.  Like you said, it's hard to explain why that feels wrong, but not writing about - in my case, torturing - the real guys, but it's where I draw the line.

Pedophilia is one disease I will never give a Backstreet Boy LOL.

I guess I will inevitably write a story based on someone else's idea about one of the Boys being a pedophile who rapes and murders underage Baylee while Nickelback plays in the background.  Sigh...

I also came across my first post about My Brother's Keeper, or the idea that would become MBK.  That was this idea!

Well, it happened; I got my Take Care idea!  For now it's just going in my idea pile, but here's a sign of the impact Kevin had on me this weekend - it's a Kevin idea!  I never get Kevin ideas!  Probably more Kevin/Nick, but still... crazy!  Never thought I'd be choosing between a Howie story and a Kevin story to get my angst on.

The Howie story was SAMS, which I wrote first, and now here I am writing the Kevin one.  Crazy indeed.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #502 on: May 02, 2021, 07:28:50 PM »

I need that reminder sometimes too.  Since I don't write ahead, so much of my motivation to write stems from my desire to get to a certain point or scene in a story... but I have to remember to just enjoy the process of writing all the scenes that lead up to that too.

That's why I like writing out of order. It gets it out of my head and lets me focus on what's currently happening. And keeps me writing on days where I have nothing to say about where I'm at. I think maybe it's a good thing to have a clear idea of what's coming, whether you're looking forward to it or writing ahead. Then it's easier to properly prepare for it down the line. :) I think that's when I always enjoy what I'm currently writing the most, when I know it's going to lead to a big blow later. I like to watch everyone suffer, basically, lol.

Yay!  Good luck finishing your chapter today!

I had a better writing day too.  I wrote 1,397 words, and now Nano says I'm up to 4 words per minute and will finish on June 19!  I'm at the point where my chapter is long enough to finish, but as usual, I'm not to the end of my scene, so it will go longer.  At least I'm out of montage/summary mode for the time being and in the middle of an actual scene now.

I'm almost done! Just trying to figure out when this Nick and Kevin conversation ends. It feels like it's almost done, especially because I popped over here instead of finishing it. So that tells me I have nothing important to add in this conversation, Kevin's busy thinking about something else he doesn't feel like sharing, and Nick's realistically too involved in his own head to care to continue poking Kevin, but at least he's trying anyway. If only Brian weren't busy sleeping; he'd have a lot of things to say, ha.

Awesome! 1,397 words! That is productive and ahead of schedule! That's great! I hate when that happens, whenever I get to a point where a chapter could end length-wise, but isn't done yet and then I hem and haw over whether it's long enough to split into two chapters or if I should just leave it as one really long chapter. It's about 50/50 for which one happens depending on what the scene was.

I've glad you've made it out of the montage and back to things you find exciting again!

Your washer caught on fire?!  Oh noes!!  That is scary.

Yes, I agree about grocery shopping on a Monday, but sometimes I'd rather just go quickly after work than waste time on my weekend going.  I wrote in bed until 3, so I did not make it to the store LOL.  But hey, now I don't have to put on a bra or real pants today.  I have enough food for dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow and hopefully enough creamer for my coffee tomorrow morning.  It's the need for creamer that will motivate me to go tomorrow.

Not fully on fire, that would have been scary! But it began smoking and then shook a lot with heavy loads, which is the precursor to fire, I think. So we decided it was just better to buy a new one and since the dryer was just as old, may as well buy that too.

That's true. I also don't like going on the weekend when it's the only thing I would have left the house for. At least you have food and possibly enough coffee creamer! I agree, coffee is an essential part of the day worth going to the grocery store for.

That's awesome that you were able to keep yourself motivated in pajama writing until 3pm! Another fact that points to it being a productive day!

Great points.  It's nice when you learn to enjoy writing just for the fun of it and not for the feedback.  I appreciate feedback, but it's just an added bonus and not something I absolutely have to have to be happy with my work.  I don't get as much as I used to in the early to mid-2000s when BSB fanfic was in its prime, but I still have a few loyal readers whom I appreciate.  And it's nice to see the BSB section on AO3 steadily being updated, even though other sites have died down.

Yes, an added bonus. It has been a nice lesson that I think I needed to step away to learn. As you know, I always used to be busy comparing and it was like comparing chicken to vegetables -- the only thing they have in common is they're food and you can buy them in a grocery store, lol. I do enjoy seeing that there are new stories on AO3 every week (and here, even if it's mostly just you, Tracy, and me). I feel like it would be a pretty sad feeling wanting to still write for a fandom, but being the only one doing it. I wonder if that ever happens. Did we research NKOTB fanfics on AO3 for a comparison? Or NSYNC fanfics?

Yeah, I think that's part of it too.  I wrote almost nothing but Brian stories in my first couple years of writing fanfic and used up most of my ideas LOL.  I actually have recycled the basic premises of some of those really old stories more recently.  The first story I finished writing was a Brian heart transplant story, and I started another one of those with a different storyline in 2008.  I also have an old story about AJ contracting HIV from a one-night stand, and I reused that idea too.

I think the idea I wrote back in the day that I wish I had gotten at least a few years later is "Beside the Ocean."  I've always loved the premise of that story.  Nick tries to commit suicide at the beginning of the story and is saved by the girl next door.  They get to know each other and eventually fall in love, and she helps him learn to appreciate life again.  Then he finds out she's secretly been dying of a brain tumor the entire time.  It's cliched and too simplistically written, but I like the contrast of him wanting to throw his life away while she desperately wants to live and knows she's dying.

I figure, if it's been long enough and you have a slightly different premise (or not), may as well reuse old ideas. Why not?

Ooh, that dichotomy is heavy, but really interesting, and dare I say beautiful. I can see why that's one you wish you'd written post-Broken.

LOL at the Jaws metaphor!  Oh Nick.

Hey, you never know!  Sometimes it happens.  Of course, mine was a Howie/Nick story, and my Kevin one is a Kevin & Nick story, so maybe you still need Nick in there to make it happen LOL.

Did I mention that he was dressed in a left shark costume and carrying a boom box playing the Jaws theme? I probably should have mentioned that, lol. Oh Nick, indeed.

Well, I have one of those percolating, except it's Brian & Nick, lol. I don't think I could ever forget Nick too much and you're probably right, it would just feel a little off without his spotlight hogging glory.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #503 on: May 02, 2021, 07:34:02 PM »

I had to dedicate a separate post to replying to this part because it got too long LOL.

I have said it before!  I just spent way too long looking up times when I have said I'll never do something LOL...

LMFAO!!! That's a lot of nevers. Makes sense why you don't say it anymore.

or write fanfic in adulthood:

(God, I'm 36 now and still writing it LOL.)

Special shout out to this one. The heart wants what the heart wants. Follow your muse where it leads.

Now to the things I said I will never do (or never do again) and still haven't:

I guess I will inevitably write a story based on someone else's idea about one of the Boys being a pedophile who rapes and murders underage Baylee while Nickelback plays in the background.  Sigh...

It's good to draw lines for yourself. I can't see you writing this either and this may be a thing where I would say it's okay to say never. Except for maybe the Nickleback lyrics. Maybe it's time for that so it doesn't end up in this hypothetical "never" story.

I also came across my first post about My Brother's Keeper, or the idea that would become MBK.  That was this idea!

The Howie story was SAMS, which I wrote first, and now here I am writing the Kevin one.  Crazy indeed.

Aww! I love little blasts from the pasts like this where you can look back and see ideas forming. It's why I always liked that thread we hijacked and planned 00Carter in. :)
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #504 on: May 02, 2021, 08:06:57 PM »

I think maybe it's a good thing to have a clear idea of what's coming, whether you're looking forward to it or writing ahead. Then it's easier to properly prepare for it down the line. :) I think that's when I always enjoy what I'm currently writing the most, when I know it's going to lead to a big blow later. I like to watch everyone suffer, basically, lol.

Yes, yes, and yes!  All this!  I don't write ahead, but I always have a clear idea of what's coming (maybe not in the next chapter, but over the course of the story).  It does help.  I actually got some outlining done this morning for the next few chapters of this section that I would like to be a montage, just based on what thinking about what I needed to happen for the next section of the story that I'm looking forward to to make sense.  And yes, I think we all like watching our characters suffer LOL.  We are sadists!

Yes, an added bonus. It has been a nice lesson that I think I needed to step away to learn. As you know, I always used to be busy comparing and it was like comparing chicken to vegetables -- the only thing they have in common is they're food and you can buy them in a grocery store, lol. I do enjoy seeing that there are new stories on AO3 every week (and here, even if it's mostly just you, Tracy, and me). I feel like it would be a pretty sad feeling wanting to still write for a fandom, but being the only one doing it. I wonder if that ever happens. Did we research NKOTB fanfics on AO3 for a comparison? Or NSYNC fanfics?

Wise words!  I do think that would be depressing to be the only one writing for a fandom, especially if there wasn't anyone reading in that fandom.  I don't think we did research NKOTB or NSYNC, but I bet there are still people writing for those fandoms... especially NKOTB, since they've actually gotten back together and done stuff more recently.  But that's when you know it's truly a labor of love, when you write for a fandom no one's reading.

I figure, if it's been long enough and you have a slightly different premise (or not), may as well reuse old ideas. Why not?

Ooh, that dichotomy is heavy, but really interesting, and dare I say beautiful. I can see why that's one you wish you'd written post-Broken.

That's my thought as well.  I've always put a different spin on the same or similar premise and made it darker and more mature, which is no different than being inspired by someone else's idea and making it your own.

Thanks!  That was part of a string of stories with a suicide theme I wrote during my emo phase in 2000-2001 LOL.  If I were ever going to straight out rewrite an old story, I think that would be the one worth rewriting because I could do those characters more justice now.

Did I mention that he was dressed in a left shark costume and carrying a boom box playing the Jaws theme? I probably should have mentioned that, lol. Oh Nick, indeed.

Well, I have one of those percolating, except it's Brian & Nick, lol. I don't think I could ever forget Nick too much and you're probably right, it would just feel a little off without his spotlight hogging glory.

LMAO I love the mental image of that!  Only I just see him singing, "Nicky shark, doo doo doo-doo-doo-doo..."

Brian & Nick is the best combo!  Do it!!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #505 on: May 02, 2021, 08:19:46 PM »

LMFAO!!! That's a lot of nevers. Makes sense why you don't say it anymore.

LOL I have learned!  Once I say I'm NEVER doing something, I will inevitably do it at some point down the road.

Special shout out to this one. The heart wants what the heart wants. Follow your muse where it leads.

LOL I have just embraced that this is my hobby, and it's what I enjoy, so I will continue to do it as long as I'm still enjoying it.  It helps to know I'm not the only one in my thirties who's still writing fanfic.

It's good to draw lines for yourself. I can't see you writing this either and this may be a thing where I would say it's okay to say never. Except for maybe the Nickleback lyrics. Maybe it's time for that so it doesn't end up in this hypothetical "never" story.

The killing real BSB children is the only line I've ever drawn for myself that I haven't crossed.  Well, that and apparently pedophilia LOL.  I can't see myself writing that either.

The Nickelback thing is something I have done and vowed never to do again.  One of my favorite chapters I've ever written, BMS 196, was almost ruined by Nickelback lyrics.  I removed them on my site, but the original Nickelback version is still on AC LOL.  It's so cringey.

Aww! I love little blasts from the pasts like this where you can look back and see ideas forming. It's why I always liked that thread we hijacked and planned 00Carter in. :)

Yes!  The 00Carter thread is one of my favorites for many reasons.  Our original Refresh/Tanja/Dougie conversation is fun to read, too!

I also came across this random post that I completely forgot about:

Once I almost got T-boned by a Butternut Bread truck (well, I would have, if I had gone when my light turned green, but thankfully I looked and saw that the Butternut Bread truck was going to fly on through the blatantly red light), and then a few months later, there was a Butternut Bread truck sticking out in the middle of the road that I could have hit if I wasn't paying much attention.  So now whenever I see a Butternut Bread truck, I freak out a little.  It's kind of like a little inside joke I have with myself, but my stomach seriously does clench up when I see one LOL.

I hope Death isn't stalking you, Mare! :P

I had forgotten all about my fear of Butternut Bread trucks, but now I remember!  I guess I eventually got over that when I never did die getting hit by one.  I hope resurrecting that post will not reset some sort of Final Destination scenario in which I am stalked by Death behind the wheel of a Butternut Bread truck.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #506 on: May 02, 2021, 08:48:19 PM »

Yes, yes, and yes!  All this!  I don't write ahead, but I always have a clear idea of what's coming (maybe not in the next chapter, but over the course of the story).  It does help.  I actually got some outlining done this morning for the next few chapters of this section that I would like to be a montage, just based on what thinking about what I needed to happen for the next section of the story that I'm looking forward to to make sense.  And yes, I think we all like watching our characters suffer LOL.  We are sadists!

I do about halfway usually and then I get another clear idea about halfway through. I've learned that for PBox Nick especially, it's better to just start writing and see what happens with my early plans because he'll inevitably have something else to say down the line and whatever that happens to be is usually much better than whatever I planned on originally. Like I have a vague idea of what I'd originally had planned in PNecklace way back when and I can guarantee it's not what I ended up writing now and this is better.

I'm glad looking forward is helping you through the montage too! That's great!

Okay, but how long would we realistically allow them to just carry on happily? They react better when they have suffering and drama. lol I want that for a coffee mug: secretly a sadist.

Wise words!  I do think that would be depressing to be the only one writing for a fandom, especially if there wasn't anyone reading in that fandom.  I don't think we did research NKOTB or NSYNC, but I bet there are still people writing for those fandoms... especially NKOTB, since they've actually gotten back together and done stuff more recently.  But that's when you know it's truly a labor of love, when you write for a fandom no one's reading.

Curiosity got the better of me. There are 212 NKOTB fanfics and 1491 NSYNC fanfics -- they have more than we do, that's a little surprising to me (by 4 stories, so we all need to get 5 more BSB stories on AO3, basically, lol). But most of the NSYNC ones on the front page are crossovers with other musicians whereas most of ours are BSB only. Also we update more frequently. Everything on our front page is from the past three weeks, but the NSYNC one goes from yesterday back to February (NKOTB goes from March back to July 2019 if anyone was curious and they mostly use NKOTB as characters, though the slashiness of the works tag for NKOTBSB Tour is worth a mention).

I wonder if ARok is doing well. Haven't seen their Kevin and Nick story on the most recent page here in a while. I was happy to see Tracy posting again too.

That's my thought as well.  I've always put a different spin on the same or similar premise and made it darker and more mature, which is no different than being inspired by someone else's idea and making it your own.

Thanks!  That was part of a string of stories with a suicide theme I wrote during my emo phase in 2000-2001 LOL.  If I were ever going to straight out rewrite an old story, I think that would be the one worth rewriting because I could do those characters more justice now.

I think if they're your ideas, you're always allowed to rewrite them if you want. It's your idea after all.

Oh your emo phase, so dark, so edgy. I think you could too. You've learned and grown since then! :) And could write it even darker and edgier, lol.

LMAO I love the mental image of that!  Only I just see him singing, "Nicky shark, doo doo doo-doo-doo-doo..."

Brian & Nick is the best combo!  Do it!!

That's exactly what he was singing quieter than the Jaws them, lol. What are the hand motions for a Nick shark? That song needs a new verse since that version is much less dark than the camp version I learned.

As I said, percolating.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #507 on: May 02, 2021, 09:01:13 PM »

LOL I have learned!  Once I say I'm NEVER doing something, I will inevitably do it at some point down the road.

Let's check back on this in a few years and see how many of your "I probably wonts" you ended up doing, lol.

LOL I have just embraced that this is my hobby, and it's what I enjoy, so I will continue to do it as long as I'm still enjoying it.  It helps to know I'm not the only one in my thirties who's still writing fanfic.

Yes, I was happy to come back and see some of y'all still here. I guess I would have been more surprised if AC was still popping, but it was all people I didn't recognize rather than what it is. Whereas my less realistic hope was "still popping with literally all the same people."

The killing real BSB children is the only line I've ever drawn for myself that I haven't crossed.  Well, that and apparently pedophilia LOL.  I can't see myself writing that either.

The Nickelback thing is something I have done and vowed never to do again.  One of my favorite chapters I've ever written, BMS 196, was almost ruined by Nickelback lyrics.  I removed them on my site, but the original Nickelback version is still on AC LOL.  It's so cringey.

I'd say it's "involves children," but I know you'll kill off fake BSB children, so I'm not sure there's a blanket term for this line.

Aw, poor Nickleback. I think they get a bad rap and probably don't deserve it. I think a good rule of thumb in a fanfic is "avoid lyrics unless it's a character speaking."

Yes!  The 00Carter thread is one of my favorites for many reasons.  Our original Refresh/Tanja/Dougie conversation is fun to read, too!

"I like horses." "Dougie!!!" lmao

I also came across this random post that I completely forgot about:

I had forgotten all about my fear of Butternut Bread trucks, but now I remember!  I guess I eventually got over that when I never did die getting hit by one.  I hope resurrecting that post will not reset some sort of Final Destination scenario in which I am stalked by Death behind the wheel of a Butternut Bread truck.

Not the Butternut Bread trucks!!! Didn't that thread start because of Mare's near death experiences? I've avoided so many car accidents just by not going when the light turned green because something off to the side was fishy, and thank goodness every time. Like there was one time some pedestrians were hoping on and off the edge of the sidewalk, so I paused for at least 30 seconds to a minute watching them to see if they were going to cross the street against the light and a car blew through the opposite red light at probably 40-50 mph. Thank goodness I hadn't moved yet; thanks crazy pedestrians! lol
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #508 on: May 02, 2021, 09:45:13 PM »

I will reply to the last couple posts later (or tomorrow), but I just popped back on to share my Google Docs voice typing fail.  As per the usual on Sunday nights, I am suffering from a burst of inspiration and a lack of time before I need to go to bed, so I thought I'd try to keep writing while I cleaned up the kitchen via voice typing.  It usually works out pretty well, but maybe my washing dishes at the same time made it harder for it to hear me and understand what I was trying to say.  This is the paragraph it typed for me:

But you also want to make the most progress you can write  said how we. I'm sure your mom won't mind  dating out here longer if it mean go make more progress what the f*** are you doing Jerry when I got to come next

"How we" is how it insists on typing "Howie," which it doesn't think is a real name LMAO.  The mom is definitely not doing any dating out there, and I have no idea who Jerry is.  The "what the f*** are you doing" was me reacting to seeing what Google was typing LOL.  So much for that.  Not included is the repeated typing of "backspace backspace backspace" as I kept trying to correct it while cracking up.  Sometimes it will take out a word when I say "backspace," and sometimes it just puts the word "backspace. "  Oh Google Docs.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #509 on: May 02, 2021, 10:01:42 PM »

I will reply to the last couple posts later (or tomorrow), but I just popped back on to share my Google Docs voice typing fail.  As per the usual on Sunday nights, I am suffering from a burst of inspiration and a lack of time before I need to go to bed, so I thought I'd try to keep writing while I cleaned up the kitchen via voice typing.  It usually works out pretty well, but maybe my washing dishes at the same time made it harder for it to hear me and understand what I was trying to say.  This is the paragraph it typed for me:

But you also want to make the most progress you can write  said how we. I'm sure your mom won't mind  dating out here longer if it mean go make more progress what the f*** are you doing Jerry when I got to come next

"How we" is how it insists on typing "Howie," which it doesn't think is a real name LMAO.  The mom is definitely not doing any dating out there, and I have no idea who Jerry is.  The "what the f*** are you doing" was me reacting to seeing what Google was typing LOL.  So much for that.  Not included is the repeated typing of "backspace backspace backspace" as I kept trying to correct it while cracking up.  Sometimes it will take out a word when I say "backspace," and sometimes it just puts the word "backspace. "  Oh Google Docs.

LMFAO!!!! I love everything about this, but this is why I don't use voice to text. However, it's good that you're using cleaning time to make the most progress you can, write? ;) It recording your reaction is the best part.

If I was suffering a burst of inspiration, I would probably just write and accept the coffee-fueled consequences tomorrow.

On my end, my chapter is now long enough to finish, I just need to add a little bit more to the second little bit of it post-Nick & Kevin conversation. NaNo already says I'll finish by June 6th, so I'm trying to get it to say the end of May while I have a chance to finish a chapter over two days, lol. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

Edited to add: I misspoke, I guess the little Nick and Brian scene I started earlier is not the end of this chapter, but the beginning of the next chapter. So, onward! One chapter down, thirteen left to go!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 10:17:32 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 50