Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)  (Read 131352 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)
« Reply #555 on: May 12, 2021, 06:38:27 PM »

Love a good Titanic love triangle! And then there's dark horse Lance! lol

I know we've talked about how movies are really inspiring for you before, Tracy; is there one that's inspiring History?
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #556 on: May 12, 2021, 09:56:45 PM »

No lol. I have been just reading timelines and coming up with it and that's why I was so stuck for a little bit.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #557 on: May 12, 2021, 10:18:36 PM »

I hear you on that! I think every time I've actually bothered to make a timeline, I get myself stuck, lol. So I feel like it could be hard to strictly follow BSB timelines to craft a tale. Maybe that's my next challenge to myself.

How's writing going now in general? I know you posted again this week. :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #558 on: May 12, 2021, 10:27:11 PM »

I have a little started for the next chapter so if all goes well I'll be updating again by next Monday.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #559 on: May 12, 2021, 10:30:51 PM »

Yay! That's exciting! Is work a little less hectic now?
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #560 on: May 12, 2021, 11:21:25 PM »

So we were talking yesterday about our line for dark and twisted things... And this isn't a major dark and twisted thing, but it's apparently what I wanted to write today:

Nick poked the stick in his hand into the ground, brushing the remnants of the fish bones skewered on it into the dirt with a sickening crunch before absentmindedly poking the fire with the end. When the stick ignited, he pulled it back, twirling it as he blew out the flame before thrusting it into the dirt again.

Yum, lol.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #561 on: May 13, 2021, 09:06:08 PM »

How are you liking splitting the concert up? I've been thinking about it as you've been talking and I don't think I ever liked writing concert scenes either. Maybe because it's not quite the same...

Eh, it's not the same as just watching the whole thing in one sitting, but it's what I would have done when actually writing anyway - just watch the songs I'm writing about.  I think I'm done with the actual concert part for now and have moved on to after the concert, so... yay?

Yeah, you can never capture the magic of a concert with words alone.  I think that's the main reason I don't like writing concert scenes.  It's a lot of writing lyrics and trying to describe what they're doing while they're singing.

And then Nick licks Brian's face in public and ruins the facade, lol. I think we all fall somewhere on the Frick&Frack to Frick/Frack scale... Except for maybe Mare? I know you're not Team Brian, Mare, but what about Frick&Frack? Are you "just Frack no &" instead?

Nice, 7 times! My mom wouldn't let me. I was also ten and it's not her thing, so that may have been more of the issue, lol. I saw it at a friend's house during a sleepover at some point in the next year or so... and then, history.

I love that scale!  I can't speak for Mare, but I will say that even as a teenybopper when I wasn't a fan of Nick, I still liked Frick & Frack.  I just leaned more heavily toward the Frick side.  Now I appreciate them both equally.

Yeah, makes sense.  Titanic is mostly fine for a ten-year-old, but the nudity... the drawing scene and the car scene make it questionable.  I was 12 going on 13, and one of the seven times I saw it was with my grandpa LOL.  Those scenes were super awkward then.

I also saw all the movies my parents wouldn't approve of at friends' houses during sleepovers LOL.  Actually, in the midst of our Titanic/Leonardo DiCaprio obsession, my friends and I made it our mission to watch every movie Leo had made up until that point.  I had a Leo biography that talked about them all, so every time we had a sleepover, we would try to rent one.  We planned ahead which one we were going to try to rent based on whose house we were at and how lenient their parents were, because some of his movies were completely inappropriate for kids our age.  Basketball Diaries and Total Eclipse were the worst... pretty sure that's how I first learned about blow jobs and anal sex LOL.  I laugh at the thought of us as 13-year-olds watching all these serious, adult dramas and period pieces at our sleepovers.  We liked most of them, and we just made fun of the ones we didn't like or understand.

It's smaller than you would expect, but it's really neat. One of my students is doing a research project on her right now for a "famous Coloradoans study" type thing and watching them be fascinated about her is awesome. Although, they said something to the effect of "she's such a badass (my words not theirs), she's probably still alive and well!" And I was like... uhh... no, that's not how aging works at all. She would be long dead no matter what. But you're right, she was a badass into her old age.

OMG, they called Molly a Karen! The youths! I'm glad you defended her, but sad you couldn't convince them. Kathy Bates was the perfect choice for Molly, but you should probably not show Titanic in school to prove a point, lol. Maybe a clip of Molly being awesome would be fine.

Well, she was "new money" LOL.  I love that your students recognized her badassery instead of calling her a Karen!  If it comes up again in class, I should find a clip from the movie to show them.  I love Kathy Bates!  That movie was so well cast.

And have happened to Nick in your fanfics! If only he knew, maybe he would pick going back to losing a limb.

LOL Exactly.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #562 on: May 13, 2021, 09:10:27 PM »

No lol. I have been just reading timelines and coming up with it and that's why I was so stuck for a little bit.

I'm glad you got yourself unstuck!  Are you trying to come up with more ideas for the 2011-2012 part of the timeline or past events?  I'm assuming you will write about the NKOTBSB concert where they announced Kevin was coming back at some point.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #563 on: May 13, 2021, 09:11:09 PM »

So we were talking yesterday about our line for dark and twisted things... And this isn't a major dark and twisted thing, but it's apparently what I wanted to write today:

Nick poked the stick in his hand into the ground, brushing the remnants of the fish bones skewered on it into the dirt with a sickening crunch before absentmindedly poking the fire with the end. When the stick ignited, he pulled it back, twirling it as he blew out the flame before thrusting it into the dirt again.

Yum, lol.

I love that description!  It's something I would do LOL.  I like to light marshmallows on fire and blow them out instead of gently toasting them.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #564 on: May 13, 2021, 09:22:19 PM »

Eh, it's not the same as just watching the whole thing in one sitting, but it's what I would have done when actually writing anyway - just watch the songs I'm writing about.  I think I'm done with the actual concert part for now and have moved on to after the concert, so... yay?

Yeah, you can never capture the magic of a concert with words alone.  I think that's the main reason I don't like writing concert scenes.  It's a lot of writing lyrics and trying to describe what they're doing while they're singing.

Yay! Glad you're getting to after the concert debauchery instead. Hopefully everything flows well from this point on.

Same. Now that we've decided that linking to videos is acceptable, that's what I'd plan on doing from now on, lol. Or just skipping them entirely.

I love that scale!  I can't speak for Mare, but I will say that even as a teenybopper when I wasn't a fan of Nick, I still liked Frick & Frack.  I just leaned more heavily toward the Frick side.  Now I appreciate them both equally.

It's because Frick & Frack brought out this silly and joyful dynamic between them and individually. And they were just all smiles. I like to pretend it's still exactly like that in my writing, even though I know it's not. You know, they were my favorites, so Frick & Frack was just the pinnacle of brotherly Backstreet love for me.

Yeah, makes sense.  Titanic is mostly fine for a ten-year-old, but the nudity... the drawing scene and the car scene make it questionable.  I was 12 going on 13, and one of the seven times I saw it was with my grandpa LOL.  Those scenes were super awkward then.

I'm sure she would have been fine fast-forwarding through the violence/nudity/dead bodies at our house, lol. Titanic stops before they hit the iceberg, don't even have to change the tape, lol!

I also saw all the movies my parents wouldn't approve of at friends' houses during sleepovers LOL.  Actually, in the midst of our Titanic/Leonardo DiCaprio obsession, my friends and I made it our mission to watch every movie Leo had made up until that point.  I had a Leo biography that talked about them all, so every time we had a sleepover, we would try to rent one.  We planned ahead which one we were going to try to rent based on whose house we were at and how lenient their parents were, because some of his movies were completely inappropriate for kids our age.  Basketball Diaries and Total Eclipse were the worst... pretty sure that's how I first learned about blow jobs and anal sex LOL.  I laugh at the thought of us as 13-year-olds watching all these serious, adult dramas and period pieces at our sleepovers.  We liked most of them, and we just made fun of the ones we didn't like or understand.

I like your strategic planning to watch Leo movies and glad you got to watch most of them because of it. And better to learn about blow jobs and anal sex from Leo than on the streets! ;) I think Titanic (obviously) and Romeo + Juliet are still my two favorites. You?

Well, she was "new money" LOL.  I love that your students recognized her badassery instead of calling her a Karen!  If it comes up again in class, I should find a clip from the movie to show them.  I love Kathy Bates!  That movie was so well cast.

Stop putting your logic into why her house was small, lol. Money is money. (That's not true at all, there's definitely cases where there's money and cases where there's money. Generational wealth is insane.) As they should; she's a badass. Also I don't think they know what a Karen is yet? I've never heard them talk about Karens, so...  :shrug: Or make a clip. The lifeboat scene is the clear one that comes to mind on the badass scale. It was so well cast!

I love that description!  It's something I would do LOL.  I like to light marshmallows on fire and blow them out instead of gently toasting them.

Thanks! I also enjoyed writing it. The POV character watching him do it is hating it, lol. I don't know that I would do it with a fish carcass, but I also like to light my marshmallows on fire. They're better burnt than toasted for sure.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 09:25:25 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #565 on: May 13, 2021, 09:37:01 PM »

So I guess some questions to discuss here would be:
1. What have been some of Those Scenes for you in your own stories?
2. What are some other Signature Scenes in other people's stories?

I never really answered these questions myself, so here goes.

The Scene in my stories tends to be a big reveal or shocking moment.  In Broken, I guess there were really two - the cancer diagnosis and the choppage bombshell.  But since the cancer diagnosis came early in the story, the choppage is really that part I was looking forward to getting to for a long time.  In BMS, it was the car accident.  In AHTIM, it was when Nick makes his "discovery."  In Bethlehem, it was the accident and the gunshot.  I also have novels where it's hard to narrow it down to "that scene" because the story is full of big moments, or the drama starts in the beginning and never really stops.

As far as signature scenes in other people's stories go, definitely MINE in "It Stays With You."  The bot fly scene in Steph's "Save a Prayer."  The DWLYN coma scene in Whitney's "Where Can We Go From Here."  The "tentacle rape" scene in Bobbi's "Signal to Noise."  They tend to be scenes we've either talked about a lot here, or scenes that stand out in stories I've read multiple times.  I have a harder time remembering specific scenes from stories I only read once, even if I really liked them.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #566 on: May 13, 2021, 09:52:17 PM »

I never really answered these questions myself, so here goes.

The Scene in my stories tends to be a big reveal or shocking moment.  In Broken, I guess there were really two - the cancer diagnosis and the choppage bombshell.  But since the cancer diagnosis came early in the story, the choppage is really that part I was looking forward to getting to for a long time.  In BMS, it was the car accident.  In AHTIM, it was when Nick makes his "discovery."  In Bethlehem, it was the accident and the gunshot.  I also have novels where it's hard to narrow it down to "that scene" because the story is full of big moments, or the drama starts in the beginning and never really stops.

Those all make sense and they were really big moments in the stories! I haven't read AHTIM, but I can confirm that the gunshot destroyed me (as I mentioned when I read it).

I wonder if The Scenes become Signature Scenes if the readers are as excited about them as the authors or if it's something that gives a memorable reaction and authors tend to painstakingly craft our "The Scenes"? Because I would definitely call the choppage bombshell a signature scene for Broken.

As far as signature scenes in other people's stories go, definitely MINE in "It Stays With You."  The bot fly scene in Steph's "Save a Prayer."  The DWLYN coma scene in Whitney's "Where Can We Go From Here."  The "tentacle rape" scene in Bobbi's "Signal to Noise."  They tend to be scenes we've either talked about a lot here, or scenes that stand out in stories I've read multiple times.  I have a harder time remembering specific scenes from stories I only read once, even if I really liked them.

Oh yeah, the tentacles in Signal to Noise! Alright, I clearly need to go back and do some reading at some point, lol. I feel like it's easier to cement a signature scene for a story when a bunch of people all react to it at the same time and/or continue to bring it up.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #567 on: May 13, 2021, 09:53:56 PM »

I'm sure she would have been fine fast-forwarding through the violence/nudity/dead bodies at our house, lol. Titanic stops before they hit the iceberg, don't even have to change the tape, lol!

Ahh, changing the tape!  And hoping you remembered to rewind it last time you watched it!  Kids today will never know the struggle LOL.

I still have my original VHS of Titanic, even though the VCR tried to eat it once and damaged the car scene so that it messed up in the middle.  I have never been able to bring myself to throw it away, even though I have two copies of the DVD - the regular one and the Collector's Edition.  The Collector's Edition is beautiful, but stupid because it also splits the movie between two discs.  Maybe that's meant to capture the nostalgia of switching the tapes for our generation who watched it that way originally, but it's annoying!  So unless I want to watch the special features, I only actually watch the regular DVD.  I hope they release a special 25th anniversary edition next year with the whole movie on ONE disc and even more special features!  I wish Leo would do a commentary.

I like your strategic planning to watch Leo movies and glad you got to watch most of them because of it. And better to learn about blow jobs and anal sex from Leo than on the streets! ;) I think Titanic (obviously) and Romeo + Juliet are still my two favorites. You?

I like most of his 90s movies; I think the only one I really did not like was Total Eclipse.  Titanic is obviously my favorite, but after that, probably The Man in the Iron Mask.  Double the Leo, double the fun!  I love the whole movie though, not just the Leo parts.  My favorite of his more recent movies is probably Django Unchained - apparently I like Leo as a villain LOL.  I can't wait till his Netflix movie comes out!

Stop putting your logic into why her house was small, lol. Money is money. (That's not true at all, there's definitely cases where there's money and cases where there's money. Generational wealth is insane.) As they should; she's a badass. Also I don't think they know what a Karen is yet? I've never heard them talk about Karens, so...  :shrug: Or make a clip. The lifeboat scene is the clear one that comes to mind on the badass scale. It was so well cast!

Yeah, it would definitely be the lifeboat scene.  That is the part of the book I was reading where they called her a Karen, but if they could actually see it play out, they might see it differently.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #568 on: May 13, 2021, 10:21:31 PM »

Ahh, changing the tape!  And hoping you remembered to rewind it last time you watched it!  Kids today will never know the struggle LOL.

I still have my original VHS of Titanic, even though the VCR tried to eat it once and damaged the car scene so that it messed up in the middle.  I have never been able to bring myself to throw it away, even though I have two copies of the DVD - the regular one and the Collector's Edition.  The Collector's Edition is beautiful, but stupid because it also splits the movie between two discs.  Maybe that's meant to capture the nostalgia of switching the tapes for our generation who watched it that way originally, but it's annoying!  So unless I want to watch the special features, I only actually watch the regular DVD.  I hope they release a special 25th anniversary edition next year with the whole movie on ONE disc and even more special features!  I wish Leo would do a commentary.

They will never know the struggle! I don't own the Collector's Edition because I didn't want to relive switching the discs (lol), but I would buy a 25th anniversary edition. I feel like Leo never does commentary, but he and Kate should just do commentary for a whole track. It would be beautiful.

I like most of his 90s movies; I think the only one I really did not like was Total Eclipse.  Titanic is obviously my favorite, but after that, probably The Man in the Iron Mask.  Double the Leo, double the fun!  I love the whole movie though, not just the Leo parts.  My favorite of his more recent movies is probably Django Unchained - apparently I like Leo as a villain LOL.  I can't wait till his Netflix movie comes out!

Apparently Man in the Iron Mask slipped my mind, because I also love that one (what is wrong with my brain? lol). I thought it was also really well cast. Django is good. I enjoy Wolf of Wall Street as well. Wait, what, a netflix movie?! I have been so consumed in Backstreet nostalgia that I am not up-to-date on my Leo news, apparently!

Yeah, it would definitely be the lifeboat scene.  That is the part of the book I was reading where they called her a Karen, but if they could actually see it play out, they might see it differently.

Ugh, the youths! If telling two lifeboats full of fussy rich ladies that they need to get cozy and go back and save some other people is being a Karen, then... I would happily be a Karen. But Molly doesn't deserve that. I strive to be a Molly all the time. Though she's much better at it than I am, lol.
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #569 on: May 14, 2021, 01:54:48 AM »

I'm glad you got yourself unstuck!  Are you trying to come up with more ideas for the 2011-2012 part of the timeline or past events?  I'm assuming you will write about the NKOTBSB concert where they announced Kevin was coming back at some point.

Well right now I'm at the point in 2011 where AJ gets married, and then it's going to be in 2012 because not much else happens in 2011.  In the beginning of 2012 there's not a whole lot of things going on... Other than Nick's sister passing away, Nick's solo tour and then in March or April it's announced that Kevin is coming back. So there's not a whole lot left of the story to go. I'm doing my best to fill in with the memories for one chapter and keeping the "current" events for another but it's been challenging for sure.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 50