Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)  (Read 131492 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)
« Reply #705 on: June 07, 2021, 01:13:54 AM »

Writing is going OK for me this weekend. I'm almost done with Chapter 19... I'm at 1,300 ish words so I should finish it by morning provided Nick doesn't butt in. He's been quiet so far, lol.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #706 on: June 07, 2021, 02:01:44 AM »

I usually only find important ways to bring them up again once I start to forget about them while writing. I'll be honest though, it's usually the tails I forget about. At least you can fly with wings, tails are just kind of there, lol.

Do the demons use their tails like whips to hit each other with?  Cause I could see Nick and Brian doing that to each other a lot. LOL

I think they're less prevalent in general, depending on the content of a story. If it's a Heaven and Hell type thing, they're usually there, but they're less present than other standard fantasy races, even less so than angels, unless there's conjuring stuff going on. But you're right, I can't think of any other BSB demon stories. Once again, I'm the AJ.

It's cool to be the only one who's done something!  Angels have definitely been done in fanfic, but not so much demons.  Especially not lovable demons.

If he doesn't stay dead, I'd say that's very lucky, lol.

It's both a blessing and a curse.  On one hand, how lucky that he can miraculously come back to life for the next installment... but on the other hand, how horrible to have to die over and over again in 1000 different painful and/or humiliating ways.

For once I was not verbose. I'd say maybe it's the outline, but that's clearly not true in the other arc, so I don't know what the difference is here. Think I can keep up this 6-8 chapter/month pace? I'd be very prolific if I did!

With the right story, maybe!  You're on the end-of-story streak with this one, but if you continue on to the third installment, maybe you can keep that inspiration alive.  Or maybe you'll move on to something totally different, which can be equally inspiring.

I think 5,000 is my upper limit. Once they start nearing 6,000, I usually try to find some way to split it and add wherever I need to add to reach 3,000 words each. I think it would be harder to do that in a story with strict POV structure than in one without that, since coming up with something for the other character for them to sandwich could be harder than just keeping the chapter long, like you said.

I think it's okay if Nick doesn't have as many subplots. He would be very busy with touring and being a Hot Mess anyway. I feel like there's only so much you can say about Hot Mess Nick if his stuff isn't really the focus of the story, then it just feels like filler.

lmfao! Yes, you should just stab him. Have him get mugged in the next chapter or something.

Yeah, I'm trying not to just come up with filler for Nick.  That's how BMS got to be so long - lots of filler to keep things balanced between Nick and Claire.  I learned my lesson.  But don't tempt me with the stabbing LOL.  I actually don't think I've ever stabbed Nick in a story before... Brian, yes.  Nick, no?  Not that I can remember offhand, anyway.

Aw fun, baseball game! But boo, leak fixing interrupting writing time! At least it will be fixed. If only you could write while you wait for your car to get fixed. Our dryer came, finally, but we apparently need another part no one told us we needed (some sort of stacking kit), so now I still can't wash my clothing. Things are about to get difficult; I am running out of underwear, lol.

I would love it if every week was a three day weekend. Then it would matter less if I was unproductive in general one day. I think I'd be less tired all the time too. Thanks! I hope so too! Hopefully this next Nick chapter goes smoothly for you!

Oh no!  That's a long time you've been without a working washer.  That's so frustrating.  My washer broke last year right in the beginning of lockdown, and I didn't know what to do at first.  I didn't really want to go to a laundrymat or an appliance store or have a repairman come over.  So I did some googling and figured out it was just the belt that broke... and then I ordered a replacement belt for cheap and managed to fix it myself!  Thanks, YouTube!  I hope your part comes soon so you can get everything set up and working!

Yeah, for real - I feel like it takes me Friday night and most of Saturday to recover from the week, so I don't usually get into my writing groove until Sunday, and then the weekend's over before I know it.  We really should have Mondays off.

Done! One arc done! Only three chapters left! Can't believe it! I don't want to jinx it, but I'm about to finish a novel y'all! In only about 7 months! If it wasn't 10:30, I might just keep writing! I hate that I always feel most motivated to write when I finish a chapter, but should go to bed, lol.

On a side note, I worried I would struggle on those 900 words I needed (especially since I initially left myself a note that said [stuff happens]), but as usual, I had nothing to worry about because this chapter apparently needed about 1400 more words to be finished, lol. I had a couple missteps, but I hacked and slashed them until it was better. Now it's exciting and better paced.

Yay!!  So proud of you!  I know the feeling; I am always most motivated on Sunday night when I need to go to bed.  Ugh.  I hope you wake up still inspired and are able to write before/after work tomorrow.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #707 on: June 07, 2021, 02:02:38 AM »

Writing is going OK for me this weekend. I'm almost done with Chapter 19... I'm at 1,300 ish words so I should finish it by morning provided Nick doesn't butt in. He's been quiet so far, lol.

Yay!  You are also almost done!  So proud of you, too; you've written this one so quickly!

I had a productive afternoon, but have yet to start my Nick chapter tonight.  But I did do some rereading and editing on the last few chapters, so that was still productive in its own way.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #708 on: June 07, 2021, 10:44:19 PM »

I saw this thread on Reddit yesterday and thought it was a good question.  Is there something you did early in your fanfic writing that you don't do anymore?  https://www.reddit.com/r/FanFiction/comments/nu1mf9/is_there_something_you_did_early_in_your_fanfic/

The OP talked about writing vague summaries that were meant to be mysterious and intriguing, but probably just made prospective readers go, "Huh, what?" and scroll on by.  I was like, "Wow, that sounds like me!" LOL  I still don't like to give away too much in my summaries, but I think my last few have been better at revealing enough basic plot details to give people an idea of what the story's about without spoiling the surprises.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #709 on: June 07, 2021, 10:56:04 PM »

I saw this thread on Reddit yesterday and thought it was a good question.  Is there something you did early in your fanfic writing that you don't do anymore?  https://www.reddit.com/r/FanFiction/comments/nu1mf9/is_there_something_you_did_early_in_your_fanfic/

The OP talked about writing vague summaries that were meant to be mysterious and intriguing, but probably just made prospective readers go, "Huh, what?" and scroll on by.  I was like, "Wow, that sounds like me!" LOL  I still don't like to give away too much in my summaries, but I think my last few have been better at revealing enough basic plot details to give people an idea of what the story's about without spoiling the surprises.

Good question!

I honestly feel like the summary for PBox is exactly that, vague intending to be mysterious and intriguing. So of course I made PNecklace mimic it, lol. I don't know that I have a better summary for either of them; I have a very hard time summarizing this tale. I will say though, that I feel like my holiday story summary is much better than any summaries I used to write. Give the basic idea without giving too much away. I made one tiny tweak to it after posting, which was to add "In December 1999" to the beginning, and then it got higher read counts.

Otherwise, things I used to do that I don't anymore... Weird dialogue tags is probably the biggest one. Post without editing or majorly proofreading? lmao Start writing and posting any old thing that came to my head?

I'm sure I probably still do a lot of things that are frowned upon, but I've really tried to be better about them. I can't think of any right now.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #710 on: June 07, 2021, 11:40:18 PM »

Popping back and forth as I try to complete this week's edit. Whenever PBox Nick and I stumble over his feelings, I pause... So here I am again typing this reply off and on, lol.

Do the demons use their tails like whips to hit each other with?  Cause I could see Nick and Brian doing that to each other a lot. LOL

You know, they don't, lol! Honestly, Nick and Brian probably don't play fight as much as they should. Like I said before, tails are boring, they're just kind of there doing nothing... or wagging while they sleep like puppies, lol.

It's cool to be the only one who's done something!  Angels have definitely been done in fanfic, but not so much demons.  Especially not lovable demons.

Yes, my vague "It's about demons, but they're the heroes" description usually surprises people, lol. You can't help but love them when they're the Boys; they're just too warm and fuzzy. :)

It's both a blessing and a curse.  On one hand, how lucky that he can miraculously come back to life for the next installment... but on the other hand, how horrible to have to die over and over again in 1000 different painful and/or humiliating ways.

That's true, I guess it's not super fun if you're only coming back to life to die again! Now I feel bad adding to his misery, lol. Oh well, stab stab!

With the right story, maybe!  You're on the end-of-story streak with this one, but if you continue on to the third installment, maybe you can keep that inspiration alive.  Or maybe you'll move on to something totally different, which can be equally inspiring.

True! I think I'm getting ahead of myself, lol. The end of story streak is just a whirlwind though. It's been a while since I've been here.

Yeah, I'm trying not to just come up with filler for Nick.  That's how BMS got to be so long - lots of filler to keep things balanced between Nick and Claire.  I learned my lesson.  But don't tempt me with the stabbing LOL.  I actually don't think I've ever stabbed Nick in a story before... Brian, yes.  Nick, no?  Not that I can remember offhand, anyway.

Would you say more of Nick was the filler in that one or more of Claire? I can't remember. Okay, but there's a whole story about all the ways Nick can die, is a stabbing ever filler? lol Now that you mention it, I think the only one who hasn't gotten stabbed in PBox&Co is Brian! Maybe I should be stabbing Brian instead of Nick, lol.

Oh no!  That's a long time you've been without a working washer.  That's so frustrating.  My washer broke last year right in the beginning of lockdown, and I didn't know what to do at first.  I didn't really want to go to a laundrymat or an appliance store or have a repairman come over.  So I did some googling and figured out it was just the belt that broke... and then I ordered a replacement belt for cheap and managed to fix it myself!  Thanks, YouTube!  I hope your part comes soon so you can get everything set up and working!

Yeah, for real - I feel like it takes me Friday night and most of Saturday to recover from the week, so I don't usually get into my writing groove until Sunday, and then the weekend's over before I know it.  We really should have Mondays off.

I'm about to lose it, lol. This would be even worse if it was last year at the beginning of lockdown. I'm glad that yours was just a belt and easy to fix! And props to you for learning from a YouTube video! That's awesome! Oh actually, now that I think of it, our house flooded a little and we had to replace our flooring last year around this time. That was... fun. I basically hid upstairs every time the construction workers were here. It'll be next week. So another week and a half until I can do some laundry. Thankfully, a friend in our same community has been letting us borrow his washer in the meantime.

I feel like Saturdays were my groove days the past month. That's why Memorial Day was awesome. I got a groove Saturday and a groove Monday! I should just start taking random three day weekends here and there. You should do the same.

Yay!!  So proud of you!  I know the feeling; I am always most motivated on Sunday night when I need to go to bed.  Ugh.  I hope you wake up still inspired and are able to write before/after work tomorrow.

I actually did wake up inspired, but then remembered how long it took me to edit last week's chapter, so I opted to edit rather than write anything new. I finished the first scene and the second scene is much shorter, so it should go quick tomorrow. I have no idea what to Author Talk about this week though, lol.

One of my friends beta reading the OF version said she was really enjoying it so far, so that made me happy. Her only notes were asking me what some vocabulary was. :) And that I can be repetitive sometimes, lol. I was like "Absolutely I ramble. Please tell me where I'm repeating myself!" Realistically, I probably have to cut PBox down by at least 80,000 words, so if I'm repeating myself, I just want to cut it.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #711 on: June 07, 2021, 11:42:18 PM »

Yay, you posted! I'm excited you're almost finished too!

Did Nick end up butting in or was it okay?

Yay!  You are also almost done!  So proud of you, too; you've written this one so quickly!

I had a productive afternoon, but have yet to start my Nick chapter tonight.  But I did do some rereading and editing on the last few chapters, so that was still productive in its own way.

How'd writing end up going today with the start of the Nick chapter?
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #712 on: June 07, 2021, 11:55:55 PM »

Good question!

I honestly feel like the summary for PBox is exactly that, vague intending to be mysterious and intriguing. So of course I made PNecklace mimic it, lol. I don't know that I have a better summary for either of them; I have a very hard time summarizing this tale. I will say though, that I feel like my holiday story summary is much better than any summaries I used to write. Give the basic idea without giving too much away. I made one tiny tweak to it after posting, which was to add "In December 1999" to the beginning, and then it got higher read counts.

Otherwise, things I used to do that I don't anymore... Weird dialogue tags is probably the biggest one. Post without editing or majorly proofreading? lmao Start writing and posting any old thing that came to my head?

I'm sure I probably still do a lot of things that are frowned upon, but I've really tried to be better about them. I can't think of any right now.

I'm a fan of summaries that make me curious enough to click, so let's keep writing vague, mysterious, and intriguing ones!

That's interesting that the addition of 1999 increased your read count.  I guess readers like nostalgia?  I usually do include the date if I'm writing a story set in a specific time period, especially if it's that far in the past. 

Those are all good ones.  I do still use some weird dialogue tags because "said" and "replied" get to be too repetitive for me, but not as much as I used to.  I probably use them more in third person fics than first person; I limit my vocabulary a little more in first person so the narration sounds more like it's coming from a real person.

Trying to think of some other things I no longer do...

- Put song lyrics at the beginning or end of a chapter (or sometimes in the middle).  I only use song lyrics if the song is actually part of a scene, being sung, listened to, or referenced by a character.

- Put author's notes all over the place.  (I saw this one a lot in that thread.)  I only write author's notes if I feel the need to explain something or give credit where credit is due, and I typically post them at the end of the chapter so they're not distracting.

- Write a novel without some sort of outline.

- Post chapters as soon as I finish them.

- Write cheesy epilogues that take place in Heaven.

- Include NSYNC members (except for 00Carter - that one gets grandfathered in for being almost 15 years old LOL).

- Write Nick cancer stories? LOL
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #713 on: June 08, 2021, 12:16:46 AM »

You know, they don't, lol! Honestly, Nick and Brian probably don't play fight as much as they should. Like I said before, tails are boring, they're just kind of there doing nothing... or wagging while they sleep like puppies, lol.

Aww LOL.  That's a cute mental image you've created.

That's true, I guess it's not super fun if you're only coming back to life to die again! Now I feel bad adding to his misery, lol. Oh well, stab stab!

Stab away!  It will only stop once we get to 1000 deaths, and we have a long ways to go LOL.  But if it's any consolation, there's also the spin-off where Nick gets his revenge by killing fans.  So if you want to redeem yourself, you can write a kill next.  It's kinda fun writing Nick as a sadistic yet sexy serial killer!

Would you say more of Nick was the filler in that one or more of Claire? I can't remember. Okay, but there's a whole story about all the ways Nick can die, is a stabbing ever filler? lol Now that you mention it, I think the only one who hasn't gotten stabbed in PBox&Co is Brian! Maybe I should be stabbing Brian instead of Nick, lol.

I think it was pretty evenly balanced between them.  They both had filler subplots at different points in the story.

LOL If stabbing is the filler, it does make me wonder what's going on in the main plot that trumps that.

If Nick has already been stabbed and Brian hasn't, then yes, definitely stab Brian!  Spread the wealth pain!

I'm about to lose it, lol. This would be even worse if it was last year at the beginning of lockdown. I'm glad that yours was just a belt and easy to fix! And props to you for learning from a YouTube video! That's awesome! Oh actually, now that I think of it, our house flooded a little and we had to replace our flooring last year around this time. That was... fun. I basically hid upstairs every time the construction workers were here. It'll be next week. So another week and a half until I can do some laundry. Thankfully, a friend in our same community has been letting us borrow his washer in the meantime.

I feel like Saturdays were my groove days the past month. That's why Memorial Day was awesome. I got a groove Saturday and a groove Monday! I should just start taking random three day weekends here and there. You should do the same.

Oh no, having your floor replaced because of a flood at the beginning of lockdown sounds terrible!  But at least you got new flooring out of it; I hope you like it better than the old!  I'm glad you have a friend who's letting you use his washer so you don't have to go to the laundrymat.

Monday is the ideal day to take off.  Most people take off Fridays, but I can handle going to work on a Friday... because it's Friday!  The weekend is near.  But if you take off Monday, then you can avoid the Sunday night blues and come back to work knowing it's already Tuesday!  I should do that more, but I usually end up stressing over sub plans and wondering what I'm going to come back to the next day that I don't enjoy days off as much as I should, unless I'm traveling somewhere - then I don't really care; it can wait till I come back LOL.

I actually did wake up inspired, but then remembered how long it took me to edit last week's chapter, so I opted to edit rather than write anything new. I finished the first scene and the second scene is much shorter, so it should go quick tomorrow. I have no idea what to Author Talk about this week though, lol.

One of my friends beta reading the OF version said she was really enjoying it so far, so that made me happy. Her only notes were asking me what some vocabulary was. :) And that I can be repetitive sometimes, lol. I was like "Absolutely I ramble. Please tell me where I'm repeating myself!" Realistically, I probably have to cut PBox down by at least 80,000 words, so if I'm repeating myself, I just want to cut it.

I'm glad you got your editing out of the way so you won't stress out about that on Wednesday.  Yay for a good review from your friend!  That's good that she's giving you some notes of things you can edit, but glad it's overall enjoyable!

How'd writing end up going today with the start of the Nick chapter?

I ended up going upstairs to my writing room last night and got a good start on Nick's chapter in the early a.m.  My first late night writing session of summer!  Then I wrote some more after I woke up this morning, so altogether I was over my needed word count for today.  I also organized a couple closets, so it was a fairly productive day!  Hoping to get some more written tonight.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #714 on: June 08, 2021, 10:19:37 PM »

I'm a fan of summaries that make me curious enough to click, so let's keep writing vague, mysterious, and intriguing ones!

Deal. I like being vague anyway, lol

That's interesting that the addition of 1999 increased your read count.  I guess readers like nostalgia?  I usually do include the date if I'm writing a story set in a specific time period, especially if it's that far in the past.

I like nostalgia too, so I get it. I thought maybe confirmation that it was classic Backstreet swayed everyone. No wives, no girlfriends, no children, just Boys. It's probably a good tactic to orient readers to the time frame right away.

Those are all good ones.  I do still use some weird dialogue tags because "said" and "replied" get to be too repetitive for me, but not as much as I used to.  I probably use them more in third person fics than first person; I limit my vocabulary a little more in first person so the narration sounds more like it's coming from a real person.

Trying to think of some other things I no longer do...

- Put song lyrics at the beginning or end of a chapter (or sometimes in the middle).  I only use song lyrics if the song is actually part of a scene, being sung, listened to, or referenced by a character.

- Put author's notes all over the place.  (I saw this one a lot in that thread.)  I only write author's notes if I feel the need to explain something or give credit where credit is due, and I typically post them at the end of the chapter so they're not distracting.

- Write a novel without some sort of outline.

- Post chapters as soon as I finish them.

- Write cheesy epilogues that take place in Heaven.

- Include NSYNC members (except for 00Carter - that one gets grandfathered in for being almost 15 years old LOL).

- Write Nick cancer stories? LOL

I'm pretty sure I've gone the opposite route to avoid them and made every character an unnecessary busy body instead, lol. I think in first person, it's also easier to differentiate between "me" and "not me" without having to tag it in some way. I can't think of the last time I used "replied."

Random song lyrics were all the rage way back when! I won't lie to you and say I don't use tiny pieces of songs, because I do that in spades without meaning too, but I can't think of the last time I specifically wrote down lyrics.

End of the chapter is the best place for Author Notes. It doesn't interrupt the story and you can talk about what went on.

I'm dying at this list, especially the question mark in "Write Nick cancer stories?" lol! Does PBox&Co get grandfathered in to having NSYNC in it too? Like I know PNecklace is new, but they can't just suddenly disappear from the story, lol.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #715 on: June 08, 2021, 10:43:55 PM »

Aww LOL.  That's a cute mental image you've created.

Thanks. :) They're lovably created demons, lol.

Stab away!  It will only stop once we get to 1000 deaths, and we have a long ways to go LOL.  But if it's any consolation, there's also the spin-off where Nick gets his revenge by killing fans.  So if you want to redeem yourself, you can write a kill next.  It's kinda fun writing Nick as a sadistic yet sexy serial killer!

Do enough people have 900 more deaths in them? What was the inspiration for 1000 deaths? I think Nick deserves to be a sadistic and sexy serial killer after dying so many times, lol. Though I think his reaction to death by snail would be "WTF?" more than murderous rage, lol.

I think it was pretty evenly balanced between them.  They both had filler subplots at different points in the story.

LOL If stabbing is the filler, it does make me wonder what's going on in the main plot that trumps that.

If Nick has already been stabbed and Brian hasn't, then yes, definitely stab Brian!  Spread the wealth pain!

If nothing else, at least they had equal filler and not one more than the other. I think that's what would be hard about giving Nick extra plots in MBK if it doesn't feel like Kevin needs them, wouldn't want one story to be weaker just for being less A plot focused.

Something way more exciting than stabbing, obviously! lol Can't think of what that might be though... Maybe it's the opposite. It's a light and fluffy story with some F Plot stabbings.

LMAO! I misremembered my own story, I definitely stabbed Brian in PBox (how could I forget that he died?!); so I stabbed all of them lovingly at least once in PBox and Nick several times. So now we're back to me being on Chapter Forty-Eight without stabbing Nick yet... What do you think, Nick? Should I stab you? Then cryptic Nick pops up and goes "ummm..." It's been fifteen years, but we're due, lol.

Oh no, having your floor replaced because of a flood at the beginning of lockdown sounds terrible!  But at least you got new flooring out of it; I hope you like it better than the old!  I'm glad you have a friend who's letting you use his washer so you don't have to go to the laundrymat.

We had one of those big plastic wraps with the zippers up for about a week as it dried out, it was no fun. It's just new? Hubs picked the exact same flooring as before, he's such a creature of habit, lol. Yeah, me too. Now that I've had my own washer and dryer, I can't go back to a laundrymat.

Monday is the ideal day to take off.  Most people take off Fridays, but I can handle going to work on a Friday... because it's Friday!  The weekend is near.  But if you take off Monday, then you can avoid the Sunday night blues and come back to work knowing it's already Tuesday!  I should do that more, but I usually end up stressing over sub plans and wondering what I'm going to come back to the next day that I don't enjoy days off as much as I should, unless I'm traveling somewhere - then I don't really care; it can wait till I come back LOL.

Yes! We were joking about working four tens today and I was all for it for all the reasons you listed; I volunteered to never come in on a Monday again if it became real. That will never happen, but it sure would be nice. Sub plans are hard for sure, especially if you're just taking a random day off for something. On vacation, it's definitely easier to not worry about it.

I'm glad you got your editing out of the way so you won't stress out about that on Wednesday.  Yay for a good review from your friend!  That's good that she's giving you some notes of things you can edit, but glad it's overall enjoyable!

Finished today. I edited a lot more than I'd originally planned on in this chapter, but I think it ended up better for it. Maybe tomorrow I'll just be able to write. I've never gotten much done on a Wednesday, but tomorrow might be the day, lol.

It was exciting! I also enjoy... appreciate might be a better word... appreciate when they tear it to shreds, but engaging was good to hear. :)

I ended up going upstairs to my writing room last night and got a good start on Nick's chapter in the early a.m.  My first late night writing session of summer!  Then I wrote some more after I woke up this morning, so altogether I was over my needed word count for today.  I also organized a couple closets, so it was a fairly productive day!  Hoping to get some more written tonight.

That is a productive day! Closets, morning writing, late writing, and a baseball game! How was it getting back into the late night sessions? Better than morning writing or about the same? Hope last night and today went great and you finished the Nick chapter!
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #716 on: June 08, 2021, 11:14:22 PM »

I'm pretty sure I've gone the opposite route to avoid them and made every character an unnecessary busy body instead, lol. I think in first person, it's also easier to differentiate between "me" and "not me" without having to tag it in some way. I can't think of the last time I used "replied."

I enjoy "replied" as an alternate to "said" that's not weird.  It's nice when you can avoid dialogue tags altogether, but sometimes I enjoy putting them in just to break up longer pieces of dialogue.  First person definitely makes it easier to differentiate between characters, as well as not having to use characters' names as often.  You can get away with using more pronouns.  The main reason I decided to write my slash in first person was so it wouldn't get confusing with all the "he/his/him" LOL.  At least one of them could be "I/me" then.

I'm dying at this list, especially the question mark in "Write Nick cancer stories?" lol! Does PBox&Co get grandfathered in to having NSYNC in it too? Like I know PNecklace is new, but they can't just suddenly disappear from the story, lol.

LOL I know if I say definitively I am NEVER writing another Nick cancer story, I will inevitably get an idea for one and be tempted.  But I'm not planning to.

Yes, PBox & Co get grandfathered into the "No NSYNC" rule.  They can only disappear if you kill them.  Stab stab stab!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #717 on: June 08, 2021, 11:23:13 PM »

Do enough people have 900 more deaths in them? What was the inspiration for 1000 deaths? I think Nick deserves to be a sadistic and sexy serial killer after dying so many times, lol. Though I think his reaction to death by snail would be "WTF?" more than murderous rage, lol.

The inspiration was a conversation (probably here) about how cruel we are all to Nick in fanfic and the show 1000 Ways to Die.  LOL He would have the WTF reaction to a lot of his deaths; some of them are pretty random.  He can get his revenge on the snail in Revenge of the Slaughtered.

Something way more exciting than stabbing, obviously! lol Can't think of what that might be though... Maybe it's the opposite. It's a light and fluffy story with some F Plot stabbings.

LMAO! I misremembered my own story, I definitely stabbed Brian in PBox (how could I forget that he died?!); so I stabbed all of them lovingly at least once in PBox and Nick several times. So now we're back to me being on Chapter Forty-Eight without stabbing Nick yet... What do you think, Nick? Should I stab you? Then cryptic Nick pops up and goes "ummm..." It's been fifteen years, but we're due, lol.

I would enjoy romantic comedies more if they contained random stabbing subplots LOL.

And yes, if it's been fifteen years, then Nick is definitely due for another stabbing!

Yes! We were joking about working four tens today and I was all for it for all the reasons you listed; I volunteered to never come in on a Monday again if it became real. That will never happen, but it sure would be nice. Sub plans are hard for sure, especially if you're just taking a random day off for something. On vacation, it's definitely easier to not worry about it.

I would absolutely work four tens over five eights!  I have also suggested having Wednesdays off so we never have to work more than two days in a row, but my district has not adopted this schedule yet. LOL

Finished today. I edited a lot more than I'd originally planned on in this chapter, but I think it ended up better for it. Maybe tomorrow I'll just be able to write. I've never gotten much done on a Wednesday, but tomorrow might be the day, lol.

Yay!  I hope tomorrow is a productive writing day now that your editing's out of the way for the week.

That is a productive day! Closets, morning writing, late writing, and a baseball game! How was it getting back into the late night sessions? Better than morning writing or about the same? Hope last night and today went great and you finished the Nick chapter!

Mornings have still been better, but I'm not quite in a routine with the late night writing yet.  I wrote a little bit last night, and then I went downstairs and watched a movie.  Today I wrote a tiny bit as I was getting ready in the morning, and then I was gone the rest of the day, so I haven't gotten back to it yet.  Hoping to get some more written tonight.  I still have a ways to go in the Nick chapter, so I won't finish it tonight, but hopefully by the end of the week.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #718 on: June 09, 2021, 01:16:39 AM »

I am so close to finishing History. Two more chapters to go. This one is a flashback chapter but I'm having trouble picking moment in time that would kind of coincide with announcing Kevin's return. Cause the final chapter will obviously be about the announcement.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #719 on: June 09, 2021, 02:01:37 PM »

Yay, you're so close!!

They announced Kevin was coming back in April, right?  So maybe something about their anniversary?  My first thought was showing when Kevin called Brian to join the group, but you already included that.  What about showing when Brian actually came down to Orlando and met the other guys for the first time, from Kevin's perspective?  Brian completed the Backstreet Boys then, and Kevin coming back makes them complete again, so that could go together.

Otherwise, what about showing the meeting where Kevin told the guys he wanted to leave the group?  I know you've included flashbacks to that moment, with Nick screaming that he hates Kevin and all that, but you haven't actually shown the whole scene, have you?  Or maybe a scene with Kevin and Kristin where Kevin makes the decision to leave and/or reacts to the announcement coming out that he's leaving.  They could talk about wanting to start a family and whatnot.  I think any of those ideas would work to connect to Kevin coming back.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50