Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)  (Read 131390 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)
« Reply #720 on: June 09, 2021, 02:46:55 PM »

There's a few things I could do. I kinda started writing something but I might change it, I have plenty of time because I plan to update again Monday. I'm actually about to work on it after I make myself dinner.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #721 on: June 09, 2021, 10:30:12 PM »

I enjoy "replied" as an alternate to "said" that's not weird.  It's nice when you can avoid dialogue tags altogether, but sometimes I enjoy putting them in just to break up longer pieces of dialogue.  First person definitely makes it easier to differentiate between characters, as well as not having to use characters' names as often.  You can get away with using more pronouns.  The main reason I decided to write my slash in first person was so it wouldn't get confusing with all the "he/his/him" LOL.  At least one of them could be "I/me" then.

I think I end up with a lot of "he smiled" type stuff from trying to break up long dialogue. Which probably isn't much better, lol! I feel like I only end up using a dialogue tag when someone is present, but hasn't spoken in a while and has nothing to do while speaking. If it made sense, I would absolutely make 80% of my scenes take place in a kitchen or something like that and give all the Boys a task to do that I could reference once they were quiet for a while, lol! LMAO! You're totally right on all the he/his/him things! I think this is an issue we have more than other fandoms (except for other boyband fandoms, of course) simply due to the sheer amount of male characters that are with each other for a good portion of the story. I think that's part of why epithets got so popular, and ridiculous! Anyone remember how Howie always got called "the Latin one"? At that point, just say "Howie." It's not like it's some cool epithet like The Blood King or something. Or like Hades got a lot of epithets because dying freaked the Greeks out; I feel like "he who receives many guests" was a frequent one. And Howie just gets "the Latin one"... Collectively, we should all be more creative. Even something mundane like "Howie, builder of beach-side condos" is better.

LOL I know if I say definitively I am NEVER writing another Nick cancer story, I will inevitably get an idea for one and be tempted.  But I'm not planning to.

Yes, PBox & Co get grandfathered into the "No NSYNC" rule.  They can only disappear if you kill them.  Stab stab stab!

I figured that was the reason, but I enjoyed that it was a question so much more than if you'd just written "possibly Nick cancer stories" or "write really long Nick cancer stories." At least it was "things you used to do that you don't anymore" and not "things you never do anymore." I call that a loophole around your vow to never say never!

Okay good. I know I'm a rule breaker, but... getting grandfathered in is good. lmao! You know, it's just not as much fun stabbing them.

The inspiration was a conversation (probably here) about how cruel we are all to Nick in fanfic and the show 1000 Ways to Die.  LOL He would have the WTF reaction to a lot of his deaths; some of them are pretty random.  He can get his revenge on the snail in Revenge of the Slaughtered.

That makes sense; we do often talk about how cruel we are to him. But, he's an equally picky muse, so I think it balances out some. It's probably more fun that they're random. Can he though? The premise is that it can't be killed.

I would enjoy romantic comedies more if they contained random stabbing subplots LOL.

And yes, if it's been fifteen years, then Nick is definitely due for another stabbing!

lol! That's how you get through some hurt/comfort, obviously.

It's only been about thirteen since I finished PBox? Close enough; you're right, he's due. Although, I meant since we've heard from the cryptic Nick account. A long discussion on stabbing him seems like the type of thing that would bring him back.

I would absolutely work four tens over five eights!  I have also suggested having Wednesdays off so we never have to work more than two days in a row, but my district has not adopted this schedule yet. LOL

Yes! My boss already claimed Wednesdays, but that would have been another option I would have opted for. I'm sorry your district is refusing to listen to your genius.

Yay!  I hope tomorrow is a productive writing day now that your editing's out of the way for the week.

Nope! Tired. Always so tired mid-week, lol. I think this will be another "I wrote a sentence to keep the streak alive" day.

Mornings have still been better, but I'm not quite in a routine with the late night writing yet.  I wrote a little bit last night, and then I went downstairs and watched a movie.  Today I wrote a tiny bit as I was getting ready in the morning, and then I was gone the rest of the day, so I haven't gotten back to it yet.  Hoping to get some more written tonight.  I still have a ways to go in the Nick chapter, so I won't finish it tonight, but hopefully by the end of the week.

I get that. You've been so used to your morning routine for a while, that it's probably hard to get a night routine going that's different from "go to bed at a semi-decent hour." I hope yesterday's night writing went well! I'm sending good vibes for your Nick chapter! :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #722 on: June 09, 2021, 10:32:00 PM »

I am so close to finishing History. Two more chapters to go. This one is a flashback chapter but I'm having trouble picking moment in time that would kind of coincide with announcing Kevin's return. Cause the final chapter will obviously be about the announcement.

Yay!!!! Two chapters to go!!!  :party: All of Julie's suggestions were good; I can't think of anything else off hand. How did the writing post-dinner go? Did you end up going the direction you were planning or did you choose something else?
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #723 on: June 10, 2021, 01:07:11 AM »

I think I end up with a lot of "he smiled" type stuff from trying to break up long dialogue. Which probably isn't much better, lol! I feel like I only end up using a dialogue tag when someone is present, but hasn't spoken in a while and has nothing to do while speaking. If it made sense, I would absolutely make 80% of my scenes take place in a kitchen or something like that and give all the Boys a task to do that I could reference once they were quiet for a while, lol! LMAO! You're totally right on all the he/his/him things! I think this is an issue we have more than other fandoms (except for other boyband fandoms, of course) simply due to the sheer amount of male characters that are with each other for a good portion of the story. I think that's part of why epithets got so popular, and ridiculous! Anyone remember how Howie always got called "the Latin one"? At that point, just say "Howie." It's not like it's some cool epithet like The Blood King or something. Or like Hades got a lot of epithets because dying freaked the Greeks out; I feel like "he who receives many guests" was a frequent one. And Howie just gets "the Latin one"... Collectively, we should all be more creative. Even something mundane like "Howie, builder of beach-side condos" is better.

It's definitely easier when there's something for them to do so you can write in some body language or an action instead of a dialogue tag.

Oh, the epithets!  I remember them well.  I actually mocked that in a chapter of Not Another Teenybopper Fanfic, where they got super specific and obscure.  http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7804&textsize=0&chapter=25

That makes sense; we do often talk about how cruel we are to him. But, he's an equally picky muse, so I think it balances out some. It's probably more fun that they're random. Can he though? The premise is that it can't be killed.

Oh, it's definitely his fault.  He's attention whore, and there's no better way to get attention than die.  Then all the focus is on him.

Random is definitely more fun.  If they were serious deaths, it would just be sad.  But the randomness makes them funny.

Ooh, good point, I forgot the snail was invincible.  He'll have to take revenge on the author then. ;)

Although, I meant since we've heard from the cryptic Nick account. A long discussion on stabbing him seems like the type of thing that would bring him back.

Oh, gotcha!  Yes, if cryptic Nick is still out there lurking, this does seem like the kind of thing he would comment on.

Nope! Tired. Always so tired mid-week, lol. I think this will be another "I wrote a sentence to keep the streak alive" day.

Ugh, I hate those days!  I went to bed/took a nap at 9 p.m. tonight because I was so wiped from sitting out in the heat through two ball games.  I got up at noon today, so I knew I couldn't really be ready for bed after only being awake nine hours... sure enough, I got up again at midnight.  This is how my sleep schedule gets so messed up LOL.

I get that. You've been so used to your morning routine for a while, that it's probably hard to get a night routine going that's different from "go to bed at a semi-decent hour." I hope yesterday's night writing went well! I'm sending good vibes for your Nick chapter! :)

I watched another movie instead of writing last night, and I didn't get very much written this morning (technically afternoon) - mostly just some edits on an upcoming chapter.  But I at least made it up to my writing room tonight, so hopefully tonight goes better.

I hope you get a good night's sleep and are less tired tomorrow.  At least it'll be Thursday, so the weekend's almost here!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #724 on: June 10, 2021, 08:55:45 PM »

It's definitely easier when there's something for them to do so you can write in some body language or an action instead of a dialogue tag.

Oh, the epithets!  I remember them well.  I actually mocked that in a chapter of Not Another Teenybopper Fanfic, where they got super specific and obscure.  http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7804&textsize=0&chapter=25

OMG! I nearly died laughing; I had completely forgotten this. I was laughing at the different ways to describe green eyes and then the author's note in the middle of the chapter, but I lost it at "sea grass destroyer" and it only got better from there. Thanks, I needed that today, lol.

Oh, it's definitely his fault.  He's attention whore, and there's no better way to get attention than die.  Then all the focus is on him.

Random is definitely more fun.  If they were serious deaths, it would just be sad.  But the randomness makes them funny.

Ooh, good point, I forgot the snail was invincible.  He'll have to take revenge on the author then. ;)

You're right. He would get appropriate mourning for his death to satiate his need for attention. And if he becomes Brian's guardian angel, then he can savor that attention, lol.

Yeah, I think if it was 1000 stories about how he died of cancer, it would be very sad.

What if he reads it and thinks it's poetic and nuanced? If it's poetic and nuanced, it's not worthy of murder, lol.

Oh, gotcha!  Yes, if cryptic Nick is still out there lurking, this does seem like the kind of thing he would comment on.

It's been a couple days discussing the topic, so I think we're safe and can stab away!

Ugh, I hate those days!  I went to bed/took a nap at 9 p.m. tonight because I was so wiped from sitting out in the heat through two ball games.  I got up at noon today, so I knew I couldn't really be ready for bed after only being awake nine hours... sure enough, I got up again at midnight.  This is how my sleep schedule gets so messed up LOL.

I watched another movie instead of writing last night, and I didn't get very much written this morning (technically afternoon) - mostly just some edits on an upcoming chapter.  But I at least made it up to my writing room tonight, so hopefully tonight goes better.

I hope you get a good night's sleep and are less tired tomorrow.  At least it'll be Thursday, so the weekend's almost here!

You took a 9pm nap and still woke up at midnight ready to function! Witchcraft! Sitting in the heat and sun all day definitely wipes me out, so I would probably be ready for bed even if I only woke up nine hours before. What time did you wake up today? How'd writing go last night? Was today an unbooked day?

Editing is important! That's how I got 26 words out yesterday! The streak is alive... barely. I woke up wide awake at 6am or so and was thinking "maybe I should write this morning," but then hubs cuddled me and I feel back asleep. :( But when I woke up, I was very inspired to write!... a 400 word scene from the next book. ::) So still three chapters to go over here, lol. Going to try to write again this evening.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #725 on: June 10, 2021, 09:38:45 PM »

So I wrote a little, then refreshed my stats to see if anyone has read my updates. AO3 is kind of stagnant (I did post three chapters within a week, so that may be on me) and I thought about how we were discussing tag traffic. So I thought about what I might tag PBox&Co that I wouldn't consider spoilers and thought "well 'demons' seems like an obvious one," so I searched for it out of curiosity and there are a lot of stories on AO3 about demons, about 40,000. And then I found out both "demon/human relationships" and "demon sex" are tags. So, where do I go from here? lol

Did you ever add more tags to SAMS, Julie? Did it increase your reaership?
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #726 on: June 10, 2021, 09:43:26 PM »

OMG! I nearly died laughing; I had completely forgotten this. I was laughing at the different ways to describe green eyes and then the author's note in the middle of the chapter, but I lost it at "sea grass destroyer" and it only got better from there. Thanks, I needed that today, lol.

Glad you enjoyed it!  I got a laugh out of it too; it's been a long time since I've looked at that story!  Imagine all the new ones we could come up with now LOL.

You're right. He would get appropriate mourning for his death to satiate his need for attention. And if he becomes Brian's guardian angel, then he can savor that attention, lol.

Yeah, I think if it was 1000 stories about how he died of cancer, it would be very sad.

What if he reads it and thinks it's poetic and nuanced? If it's poetic and nuanced, it's not worthy of murder, lol.

Guardian angel would be a perfect gig, other than the fact that (I assume) only Brian can see him?

Not even I would want to read or write 1000 Nick cancer deaths LOL.

Haha, I can't wait to see Nick's tweets about how poetic and nuanced the death by snail story is!

You took a 9pm nap and still woke up at midnight ready to function! Witchcraft! Sitting in the heat and sun all day definitely wipes me out, so I would probably be ready for bed even if I only woke up nine hours before. What time did you wake up today? How'd writing go last night? Was today an unbooked day?

Editing is important! That's how I got 26 words out yesterday! The streak is alive... barely. I woke up wide awake at 6am or so and was thinking "maybe I should write this morning," but then hubs cuddled me and I feel back asleep. :( But when I woke up, I was very inspired to write!... a 400 word scene from the next book. ::) So still three chapters to go over here, lol. Going to try to write again this evening.

LOL I tried; I didn't get much done last night, but I did read a lot of Reddit threads.  I can't say I really got anything useful out of them, though, so I probably should have just stayed in bed.  Today I woke up at about quarter til noon and "wrote" for a couple hours.  I still haven't really hit my groove for this chapter yet.  I can't even blame Nick this time because he's back from tour and reunited with Kevin, which was what I was looking forward to.  I think I'm just in one of those "blah" phases, maybe from doing this 90 days in a row.  I'm tired of all my writing music, too.  But no worries, the streak is still alive, and I'm sure I'll snap out of it soon.  I have been doing little edits here and there in addition to working on the new chapter, so there's that too.

It's been nice to get some other stuff done too.  Today I finished the memoir I've been reading off and on for a while, caught up on some shows that have been saved on my DVR for a while, cleaned my house, made dinner, and folded a bunch of laundry.  That's the kind of stuff that doesn't get done when I spend all my time writing.

Aww, well, at least you got something written this morning, and now you have part of a scene for the next story!  How's the writing going tonight?
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #727 on: June 10, 2021, 09:55:23 PM »

So I wrote a little, then refreshed my stats to see if anyone has read my updates. AO3 is kind of stagnant (I did post three chapters within a week, so that may be on me) and I thought about how we were discussing tag traffic. So I thought about what I might tag PBox&Co that I wouldn't consider spoilers and thought "well 'demons' seems like an obvious one," so I searched for it out of curiosity and there are a lot of stories on AO3 about demons, about 40,000. And then I found out both "demon/human relationships" and "demon sex" are tags. So, where do I go from here? lol

Did you ever add more tags to SAMS, Julie? Did it increase your reaership?

I haven't gotten much on AO3 the last week or so either.  I did get a guest kudo for MBK today, but no comments on the last chapter I posted.  And the one person who was reading SAMS on AO3 left a comment the other day saying she went to my site and read the rest, so which makes me happy in one sense that she was sucked in enough to finish it in a few days, but then also disappointed I won't be getting any more comments from her LOL.  That is my own fault though because I did say in the story notes that the story is already finished and can be read in its entirety on my site.  I did not end up adding any more tags to it.  I just felt cheap using the Anal Sex tag, and the other thing I could have tagged it was too spoilery and would have ruined one of those big reveal moments.

Demons seems like a good tag!  So does Demon/Human Relationships.  Not sure about Demon Sex if it's just the one scene; that ventures into kink territory, but you might attract people who are into demons that way LOL.  Do you ever feel like you're writing for the wrong fandom?  As in, readers from other fandoms might be more interested reading fantasy and stories about demons?  Did you look at what other fandoms were represented in those 40,000 stories tagged Demons?  I'm not suggesting you switch fandoms or anything.  It just seems like fantasy is a super popular genre in other fandoms, but not BSB.  Maybe it's a RPF thing.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #728 on: June 10, 2021, 10:01:10 PM »

Glad you enjoyed it!  I got a laugh out of it too; it's been a long time since I've looked at that story!  Imagine all the new ones we could come up with now LOL.

It would be like a mini BSB history lesson, lol!

Guardian angel would be a perfect gig, other than the fact that (I assume) only Brian can see him?

Not even I would want to read or write 1000 Nick cancer deaths LOL.

Haha, I can't wait to see Nick's tweets about how poetic and nuanced the death by snail story is!

Sure, but every now and again, I bet Nick would say something like "Remind everyone how much you miss me." "Of course, I miss you, Frack." And Kevin is there and gives Brian a hug and says something like. "I miss him too." And Nick just basks in it. I'm not sure why I'm writing this down here, I'm pretty sure this is a story I've been holding on to, lol.

What's your upper limit on reading Nick cancer deaths? Since you're unsure of writing them anymore.

Not only tweets! He will be so moved by it that he will post instagram stories and live streams detailing all his emotions at death by snail, lol. Maybe I'm overselling this... Or maybe I'm not!

LOL I tried; I didn't get much done last night, but I did read a lot of Reddit threads.  I can't say I really got anything useful out of them, though, so I probably should have just stayed in bed.  Today I woke up at about quarter til noon and "wrote" for a couple hours.  I still haven't really hit my groove for this chapter yet.  I can't even blame Nick this time because he's back from tour and reunited with Kevin, which was what I was looking forward to.  I think I'm just in one of those "blah" phases, maybe from doing this 90 days in a row.  I'm tired of all my writing music, too.  But no worries, the streak is still alive, and I'm sure I'll snap out of it soon.  I have been doing little edits here and there in addition to working on the new chapter, so there's that too.

It's been nice to get some other stuff done too.  Today I finished the memoir I've been reading off and on for a while, caught up on some shows that have been saved on my DVR for a while, cleaned my house, made dinner, and folded a bunch of laundry.  That's the kind of stuff that doesn't get done when I spend all my time writing.

Aww, well, at least you got something written this morning, and now you have part of a scene for the next story!  How's the writing going tonight?

Reddit is a time suck for sure. Aw, I feel you on  the "blah" phases, I've had several of those (as you know, because I've complained about all of them). It's unfortunate that your blah phase has come during something you were looking forward too, though. When I feel kind of blah, I like to edit too. Perhaps after June we've earned ourselves a little break. Or maybe you'll be out of your blah phase by then.

That sounds like a productive day! I think it's good to do those things too because it gives you a break from staring at the screen. :) How full is your DVR now that you've caught up a little?

I know, it's pretty good to still have some things pop up every now and again. It's happen twice so far in this stretch, so that gives me some confidence that I won't need a long break between the two. Maybe just a short one.

Well... I got about 50 words so far, lol. Then utterly distracted myself searching through AO3 tags, as I mentioned. They are a rabbit hole.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #729 on: June 10, 2021, 10:24:48 PM »

Sure, but every now and again, I bet Nick would say something like "Remind everyone how much you miss me." "Of course, I miss you, Frack." And Kevin is there and gives Brian a hug and says something like. "I miss him too." And Nick just basks in it. I'm not sure why I'm writing this down here, I'm pretty sure this is a story I've been holding on to, lol.

LOL Yes!  I want to read this story!

What's your upper limit on reading Nick cancer deaths? Since you're unsure of writing them anymore.

I'm willing to read way more than I would write, as long as they're well-written.  I think the last one I read was Swollen Issues in the early 2000s, so it's been a long time.  If anyone wants to write one (or a cancer story where Nick lives, or any kind of medical drama about any of the boys), I will read it!

Not only tweets! He will be so moved by it that he will post instagram stories and live streams detailing all his emotions at death by snail, lol. Maybe I'm overselling this... Or maybe I'm not!

I expect a live-reading on Twitch!  That would be much more entertaining than watching him play video games and bob his head to his own music LOL.

Reddit is a time suck for sure. Aw, I feel you on  the "blah" phases, I've had several of those (as you know, because I've complained about all of them). It's unfortunate that your blah phase has come during something you were looking forward too, though. When I feel kind of blah, I like to edit too. Perhaps after June we've earned ourselves a little break. Or maybe you'll be out of your blah phase by then.

But July is the next Camp Nano!  I'm determined to continue this streak until back to school craziness starts in August.  At least it hasn't felt like pulling teeth getting me to write.  It's not that bad; I can always get a few paragraphs written.  It's just not pages and pages at a time like I would like to be writing.  But I did think some more about that sequel idea I had, so the inspiration is still there... just not so much for the particular scene I'm in right now.

That sounds like a productive day! I think it's good to do those things too because it gives you a break from staring at the screen. :) How full is your DVR now that you've caught up a little?

Yep, exactly!  I feel more like a well-rounded human when I can list other things I did in a day besides stare at a computer screen LOL.  My DVR was up to 90% full, and I think I got it close to 50%.

Well... I got about 50 words so far, lol. Then utterly distracted myself searching through AO3 tags, as I mentioned. They are a rabbit hole.

LOL It happens.  I looked up the demons tag there too out of curiosity, and OMG, there are so many variations of "demon this" and "demon that."  Unsurprisingly, it looks like Supernatural is the most popular fandom for demon fanfics.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #730 on: June 10, 2021, 10:28:22 PM »

I haven't gotten much on AO3 the last week or so either.  I did get a guest kudo for MBK today, but no comments on the last chapter I posted.  And the one person who was reading SAMS on AO3 left a comment the other day saying she went to my site and read the rest, so which makes me happy in one sense that she was sucked in enough to finish it in a few days, but then also disappointed I won't be getting any more comments from her LOL.  That is my own fault though because I did say in the story notes that the story is already finished and can be read in its entirety on my site.  I did not end up adding any more tags to it.  I just felt cheap using the Anal Sex tag, and the other thing I could have tagged it was too spoilery and would have ruined one of those big reveal moments.

Demons seems like a good tag!  So does Demon/Human Relationships.  Not sure about Demon Sex if it's just the one scene; that ventures into kink territory, but you might attract people who are into demons that way LOL.  Do you ever feel like you're writing for the wrong fandom?  As in, readers from other fandoms might be more interested reading fantasy and stories about demons?  Did you look at what other fandoms were represented in those 40,000 stories tagged Demons?  I'm not suggesting you switch fandoms or anything.  It just seems like fantasy is a super popular genre in other fandoms, but not BSB.  Maybe it's a RPF thing.

Aww, your regular commenter! I wonder if she'll read more of the other things you have on you site too. That is great that she got so sucked in that she didn't want to wait for it to be on AO3 though. I may have inadvertently done the same thing by trying to catch AO3 up to here so I wasn't off on posting chapters since I mentioned that I cross post and then later that we chat here and my read count here for the last chapter was a lot higher than typical in a week, but I also feel like only two people are reading on AO3, so who knows!

It could be that it's getting warmer out and restrictions are ending in a lot of places, so maybe people just want to be outside. I felt like it always got slow here in the summer too.

I looked over it a little bit (but not in too much detail), the first page was a lot of anime fandoms as well as ones that already lend themselves to the inclusion of demons, like Supernatural. And a lot of incubi, which made perfect sense with the tags that seem popular. Have I ever felt like I was screaming into the void writing fantasy for BSB fanfic? Absolutely. Possibly more when I originally wrote PBox than now, even though it's quieter, since I hadn't quite gotten to the point where I was ready to own "this is what I do" without making comparisons. But here we are! I couldn't imagine PBox any other way, except for its potential as its own non-fanfic thing, of course. And truthfully, this might be the only demon story I have in me (other than that power from adulation thing); it just happens to be this huge thing I imagined that's taken up more of my time than originally intended, lol. As you know, if I'd had my way, they would have all died the first time and stayed dead, negating any chance for more story. You're the worst, PBox Nick.  :-*

There are some BTS demon fanfics (more the incubi route), so who knows if there's a KPop/anime overlap or what more than an overlap with anything remotely related to fantasy in BSB fandom. And yes, I don't know that people who wanted to read about demon sex would actually like the rest of my story, which is overall not about demon sex, lol. To be honest, I don't know if I even want to try to open it up to anyone outside BSB fans or someone who stumbles on it, especially if I end up making the decision to delete it later. It was mostly a case of "curiosity killed the cat." But I also like experiments -- that's why I wanted to see if you'd tested adding non-genre tags. :)
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #731 on: June 10, 2021, 10:41:55 PM »

Aww, your regular commenter! I wonder if she'll read more of the other things you have on you site too. That is great that she got so sucked in that she didn't want to wait for it to be on AO3 though. I may have inadvertently done the same thing by trying to catch AO3 up to here so I wasn't off on posting chapters since I mentioned that I cross post and then later that we chat here and my read count here for the last chapter was a lot higher than typical in a week, but I also feel like only two people are reading on AO3, so who knows!

It could be that it's getting warmer out and restrictions are ending in a lot of places, so maybe people just want to be outside. I felt like it always got slow here in the summer too.

Yeah, it was a great compliment!  I'm glad she let me know she finished it and loved it, just so I didn't have to wonder why she stopped commenting.  It's the risk we take by cross-posting, especially with older stories/chapters, but at least our stories are being seen by a wider audience either way.  I'm sure readership does ebb and flow, just like anything else.

Have I ever felt like I was screaming into the void writing fantasy for BSB fanfic? Absolutely. Possibly more when I originally wrote PBox than now, even though it's quieter, since I hadn't quite gotten to the point where I was ready to own "this is what I do" without making comparisons. But here we are! I couldn't imagine PBox any other way, except for its potential as its own non-fanfic thing, of course. And truthfully, this might be the only demon story I have in me (other than that power from adulation thing); it just happens to be this huge thing I imagined that's taken up more of my time than originally intended, lol. As you know, if I'd had my way, they would have all died the first time and stayed dead, negating any chance for more story. You're the worst, PBox Nick.  :-*

There are some BTS demon fanfics (more the incubi route), so who knows if there's a KPop/anime overlap or what more than an overlap with anything remotely related to fantasy in BSB fandom. And yes, I don't know that people who wanted to read about demon sex would actually like the rest of my story, which is overall not about demon sex, lol. To be honest, I don't know if I even want to try to open it up to anyone outside BSB fans or someone who stumbles on it, especially if I end up making the decision to delete it later. It was mostly a case of "curiosity killed the cat." But I also like experiments -- that's why I wanted to see if you'd tested adding non-genre tags. :)

It's definitely more important to be true to yourself and write what you love than to write what's popular just for kudos and comments.  And hey, you're obviously happy writing these stories, so write as many of them as you feel inspired to write!

Well, you'll have to let us know the results of your experiment if you end up using any of the demon tags.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #732 on: June 10, 2021, 10:44:30 PM »

LOL Yes!  I want to read this story!

Oh, I know! It's just not fleshed out in my head enough yet to be much of anything outside of random tiny things like this. There's definitely not a clear plot or even vision of an end, so even my plantser self probably couldn't do it justice right now, lol.

I'm willing to read way more than I would write, as long as they're well-written.  I think the last one I read was Swollen Issues in the early 2000s, so it's been a long time.  If anyone wants to write one (or a cancer story where Nick lives, or any kind of medical drama about any of the boys), I will read it!

That's the last Nick cancer story besides yours? I'm surprised! Maybe you have BSB medical dramas on lockdown these days. But I'll hope with you that someone will post one soon! :)

I expect a live-reading on Twitch!  That would be much more entertaining than watching him play video games and bob his head to his own music LOL.

I would watch all of that. It's "Nick reacts to fanfic," but instead of the smut he was expecting, it's a story about a snail killing him. I honestly don't think he would ever expect that if someone handed him a fanfic about himself, lol.

But July is the next Camp Nano!  I'm determined to continue this streak until back to school craziness starts in August.  At least it hasn't felt like pulling teeth getting me to write.  It's not that bad; I can always get a few paragraphs written.  It's just not pages and pages at a time like I would like to be writing.  But I did think some more about that sequel idea I had, so the inspiration is still there... just not so much for the particular scene I'm in right now.

I know! I was looking at that today and was thinking "will I have a project?" I hope you do continue the streak for that long; I'm here to keep encouraging you! That was the same as my blahs. I think I dwindle to sentences, but yeah, I feel you on wanting to write pages and only writing paragraphs or a piece of dialogue or something. Ooh, the sequel itch. It's a powerful one. Hopefully the inspiration for this scene comes soon!

Yep, exactly!  I feel more like a well-rounded human when I can list other things I did in a day besides stare at a computer screen LOL.  My DVR was up to 90% full, and I think I got it close to 50%.

Same. I sound so boring to anyone who asks these days, lol. Down 40%! That's a lot! I need to get ours down too, though at least 15-20% of it is things I don't plan on deleting until it makes me or breaks.

LOL It happens.  I looked up the demons tag there too out of curiosity, and OMG, there are so many variations of "demon this" and "demon that."  Unsurprisingly, it looks like Supernatural is the most popular fandom for demon fanfics.

That's what I said! Curiosity will get me every time, lol. Yeah, the subtags are crazy. Like the things people will type and be the only one with that tag is just insane. Supernatural makes perfect sense to me because it's already a huge part of the show; just like I would expect Twilight or Buffy to be among the most popular fandoms for vampires.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #733 on: June 10, 2021, 10:56:41 PM »

Yeah, it was a great compliment!  I'm glad she let me know she finished it and loved it, just so I didn't have to wonder why she stopped commenting.  It's the risk we take by cross-posting, especially with older stories/chapters, but at least our stories are being seen by a wider audience either way.  I'm sure readership does ebb and flow, just like anything else.

I'm glad she let you know too, because you're right, you do wonder if someone is commenting along then stops unless they tell you one way or another. It is a risk, but it's good for increased engagement, especially when our typical places aren't the hubs they once were.

It's definitely more important to be true to yourself and write what you love than to write what's popular just for kudos and comments.  And hey, you're obviously happy writing these stories, so write as many of them as you feel inspired to write!

Well, you'll have to let us know the results of your experiment if you end up using any of the demon tags.

Don't get me wrong, I still check more frequently than I know I should based on what I expect, lol. But yes, I'm really just writing to write at this point and sharing because I love it. That's all. :) I feel due for a more "canon" BSB story though. Can't wait for "Nick is Brian's guardian angel" where I can say, "Yes, I did write an entire series about demons. I obviously needed to write something about angels." lol!

I'm game. Maybe after I finish backdating PBox. Although, I feel like there's danger in expanding tags in a Team Dark story that probably needs more warnings than I'm willing to include based on spoilers, but it's not like they would be in a published book anyway, so... who knows! They'll tell me if they hate it, lol. Or realistically, they won't.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #734 on: June 10, 2021, 11:17:16 PM »

Oh, I know! It's just not fleshed out in my head enough yet to be much of anything outside of random tiny things like this. There's definitely not a clear plot or even vision of an end, so even my plantser self probably couldn't do it justice right now, lol.

I totally get that.  Take your time, and focus on finishing the PBox series first!  Just letting you know I'm here for it when/if you eventually get around to it.

That's the last Nick cancer story besides yours? I'm surprised! Maybe you have BSB medical dramas on lockdown these days. But I'll hope with you that someone will post one soon! :)

I can't think of a more recent one.  If there is, it didn't make it onto my radar.  There was a fantastic Brian cancer story written during the Summer of Sadness, the same time I was writing Curtain Call (the beginnings were posted days apart without either of us knowing what the other one was writing), but that's the last one I've read.  The two other writers who I could count on to consistently churn out BSB medical dramas don't write anymore, so maybe I do have some sort of monopoly.  I've read a few more recent Brian heart problem stories on AO3, so those are still out there to some extent.  They're mostly short stories though.  I would love a novel!

I would watch all of that. It's "Nick reacts to fanfic," but instead of the smut he was expecting, it's a story about a snail killing him. I honestly don't think he would ever expect that if someone handed him a fanfic about himself, lol.

LMAO I would pay to see his reaction!  He would definitely never expect it.  Based on that one Perez Hilton Q&A thing they did in 2013ish where they were asked about fanfic, he clearly has no concept of what it actually is.  He's probably better off not knowing LOL.

I know! I was looking at that today and was thinking "will I have a project?" I hope you do continue the streak for that long; I'm here to keep encouraging you! That was the same as my blahs. I think I dwindle to sentences, but yeah, I feel you on wanting to write pages and only writing paragraphs or a piece of dialogue or something. Ooh, the sequel itch. It's a powerful one. Hopefully the inspiration for this scene comes soon!

Hopefully you'll be done with PNecklace and ready to start a new project by July!  You could just set your word count goal low if haven't actually started a new story by then.  It's coming up more quickly than I would like.  I need to kick it into high gear if I'm going to make my June goal, considering I'm not quite to the halfway point yet.  I should be able to keep the streak going, though, since I don't have a vacation planned now that the tour's been postponed again.  That is usually when I choose to let my streaks end so I don't have to worry about it while I'm traveling.  (Plus I don't like to think about what I'm putting the Boys through in my stories when I see them in real life LOL.)

Yes, the sequel itch.  That's an itch I haven't had in a long time!  It's still just kind of poking around my brain and hasn't progressed to the point of outlines or characters or titles or banners, but that's exactly how it started with BMS.  This feels similar in a lot of ways.  We'll see how I feel when this one's further along.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50