Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25

Author Topic: Writing & Thread (aka The Writing Thread 4)  (Read 123761 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Writing & Thread (aka The Writing Thread 4)
« Reply #285 on: August 11, 2021, 09:20:48 PM »

Yay!!  That sounds great!  I'm all for more Nick and Brian stories, and IAWLT is one of my favorite BSB eras.  I'm glad you've got a new idea and are feeling inspired again already!

LOL I wondered how long it would take for someone to mention how quiet it's been around here.  Dee, Rose, and I have been busy resurrecting 00Carter and have been chatting about that off the forum so as not to not annoy you all.  I've been on a roll writing for that this week; I think it's the break from My Brother's Keeper that I needed.  My writing streak for MBK ended at 148 days, but my overall writing streak is at 151 days if I count the past few days of writing for 00Carter.  Perfect way to end my summer break!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #286 on: August 21, 2021, 11:21:12 AM »

Has anything you've researched for a story ever come in handy in your real life?

I have a student with a spinal cord injury in my class this year.  I've had students with physical disabilities in the past - muscular dystrophy, spina bifida, cerebral palsy - but this is my first SCI.  For those who don't know (spoiler alert), this is a topic I've been researching heavily for my current novel.  As I was reading my student's care plan the other day, I realized all of the medical information in it was stuff I already knew because of this story, which was reassuring.  Prior to 2017, I had never even heard terms like "autonomic dysreflexia" and probably would have been a little freaked out reading this care plan for the first time and realizing I was responsible for this child during the majority of the school day.  But at least now I know I have some knowledge and understanding to draw on, even though I don't have any actual firsthand experience.  I'm not sure if a higher power helped ensure this child was placed in my class because they knew that about me, even though no one I work with does, or if I was drawn back to this story earlier this year because she was destined to be in my class, but I believe things happen for a reason.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #287 on: August 28, 2021, 06:01:09 PM »

Saw this thread on Reddit about readers commenting on stories that are on hiatus, asking the author for an outline of how the story was going to go: https://www.reddit.com/r/FanFiction/comments/pdhhvq/if_the_first_time_you_ever_comment_on_a_fic_is/

If you got this request as a writer, would you give an outline for a story that was just on hiatus that you wanted to continue someday?  What about a story that you officially discontinued?

As a reader, would you want to read an outline for an unfinished story, or would you rather not know what was supposed to happen?
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #288 on: August 29, 2021, 05:56:32 PM »

As a writer, I don’t think I’d be able to give that info because most likely I wouldn’t know myself where I was going. That’s the main reason I stopped my one in progress story. I had no clue what was coming next.

As far as reading, depends. I usually just concoct my own ending.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #289 on: August 31, 2021, 08:06:23 PM »

I definitely wouldn't give an outline for a story that I had any hope of continuing someday because I hate spoilers!  I might be more willing to reveal my plans for a story that I knew I was never going to finish if I thought anyone really cared to know what was going to happen (assuming I did know LOL).  Most of my officially discontinued stories didn't even have an outline, though, which may have been part of the problem.  I couldn't tell you how any of them were supposed to end.  That is not the case for the two that are just "on hiatus," but I still have some hope of going back to one day - and the fact that I do have solid outlines for them makes that seem more possible because at least I have a plan on paper that I can use to refresh my memory when/if the time comes.

As a reader, I don't think I would want to know what was supposed to happen unless it left off on a cliffhanger or had a lot of unanswered questions, like in a mystery.  Then it might be nice to know what was going to happen or whodunit.  Otherwise, I think it would be unsatisfying to read a summary version of events instead of the real thing.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #290 on: August 31, 2021, 08:08:01 PM »

I just had to share that I finally finished Chapter 25 of MBK, which I've been working on the whole month of August!  I finished it before I left for work this morning - go me!  Hopefully September will be a more productive month for me (although I did write more for 00Carter in August as well).  I purposefully broke my writing streak the first day I had to go back to work to take that off my plate, but I've gotten back into the routine of at least opening my story and writing something every day.  Now to see if I can start Chapter 26 tonight.

How is writing going for the rest of you?
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #291 on: September 01, 2021, 01:39:21 AM »

Yay! Also I like the update, much cleaner on my phone. Well, like Julie said, been resurrecting 00Carter and it's just nice to go crazy on a story like that cause there's no limits.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #292 on: September 01, 2021, 10:33:14 PM »

I got distracted with 00Carter. My bad, y'all. But I am back from the dead!

I loved that Lance's tone was a rainbow emoji, Tracy. I know that was like a month ago.

And Julie, how serendipitous that your writing has helped you prepare for a student! The universe works in mysterious ways.

Writing-wise, I actually finished the second chapter of my non-PBox related story, finally. So maybe I'll make some headway on that. I also got some pieces of the fourth chapter of PDemons. I let the streak die, but writing's just been fun again. I think it's the "craziest idea goes" nature of 00Carter. It's nice to be able to write the weirdest thing without worrying if it really works for the plot.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #293 on: September 01, 2021, 10:42:22 PM »

Yay, sounds like you've had a productive week!  I agree about 00Carter; it's always a nice palate cleanser and change of pace from what I normally write.

I've gotten back into the routine of writing while I dry my hair in the morning.  Today I wrote almost 400 words in half an hour!  Compare that to this evening, when I've been "writing" for an hour and a half and have only accumulated 92 words.  What a difference sleep and caffeine make LOL.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #294 on: September 06, 2021, 12:45:17 AM »

I love three-day weekends!  I wrote almost 4,000 words today and finished Chapter 26.  Has anyone else had a productive weekend?
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #295 on: September 06, 2021, 01:01:20 AM »

For those who write in Google Docs, what's the longest story you've written as one doc without breaking it up?

I'm up to 287 pages/113,448 words in MBK, and it's definitely getting slow to load, especially on my Chromebook.  Tonight I was typing, and it suddenly froze up, and when it unfroze, it had erased the entire story except the two words I was trying to type. 😳  I must have accidentally hit the keyboard shortcut for Select All or something. Thank god for the undo button and version history.  I was able to get it back by undoing, but it scared me for a second.  I would rather keep the whole story in one document as I'm writing it then start a new doc, but I may have to break it up if it keeps glitching and getting slower.  The longest story I've written solely in Google Docs was A Heart That Isn't Mine, and that one was already divided into "parts" of ten chapters, so I just made each part its own doc until I was done with the story and then combined them all into one.  But this one doesn't have that natural division point.  I guess this will be an experiment for me to see how long I will let it get before I feel like I have to break it up because I still have a ways to go.  That is one thing I like about Word better - it works well even with super long documents.  Broken, BMS, and Song for the Undead can't even fit into one Google Doc; I had to upload them in parts to Google Drive because it couldn't handle documents that size LOL.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 01:06:16 AM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #296 on: September 06, 2021, 01:18:12 PM »

That's awesome that you're feeling inspired to write in the mornings! I'm too much of a useless human to write pre-coffee.

I love three-day weekends!  I wrote almost 4,000 words today and finished Chapter 26.  Has anyone else had a productive weekend?

Same! I skipped Friday because of work/the football game, but Saturday I started going back to work on PDemons and was writing a little conversation between Nick and Howie where Howie talked about how Nick used to skulk around the palace, sitting on ledges to watch people below him and I nearly died laughing thinking about it. So I decided I wanted to add a scene in the beginning of the OF version of PBox where Nick did just that... but I had to write part of the chapter before it to do so. Anyway, I spent a good two hours painstakingly deciding on a new name for Howie, since I couldn't keep writing "["Howie"]" if it was the chapter where he revealed his name (and actually ended up picking Brian's new name during the process as well). Then I ended up writing a little over 6200 words Saturday evening to Sunday night (and sleeping of course). But good news, this means I'm about one chapter and four scenes away from having the first eight chapters of the OF version done or... some semblance of penned anyway.

This has been happening to me a lot lately, actually. I ended up finishing my Brian chapter of my novella because I was trying to get into the groove for my Brian scene in 00Carter. (Is this a spoiler? I'm sorry! I'm about to write a Brian scene, lol!) I don't know if this is WADD or what, but I'm just trying to go where the inspiration takes me. I guess I wish I was making a little more headway on either PDemons or the novella because I'd like to have something to consistently post once PNecklace is finished (and obviously I can't post OF PBox), but I'm just happy to still be writing consistently even if I can't necessarily post consistently (yet... I'd rather not post for a while than post and leave anyone hanging).

That's awesome that you wrote so much though! It sounds like letting the streak taper off and having the pallet cleanser of 00Carter brought back some inspiration!  :party:

I think I forgot to mention it earlier, but congrats on finishing Take Me Home, Tracy! I'm glad you found your inspiration for the ending.

For those who write in Google Docs, what's the longest story you've written as one doc without breaking it up?

I'm up to 287 pages/113,448 words in MBK, and it's definitely getting slow to load, especially on my Chromebook.  Tonight I was typing, and it suddenly froze up, and when it unfroze, it had erased the entire story except the two words I was trying to type. 😳  I must have accidentally hit the keyboard shortcut for Select All or something. Thank god for the undo button and version history.  I was able to get it back by undoing, but it scared me for a second.  I would rather keep the whole story in one document as I'm writing it then start a new doc, but I may have to break it up if it keeps glitching and getting slower.  The longest story I've written solely in Google Docs was A Heart That Isn't Mine, and that one was already divided into "parts" of ten chapters, so I just made each part its own doc until I was done with the story and then combined them all into one.  But this one doesn't have that natural division point.  I guess this will be an experiment for me to see how long I will let it get before I feel like I have to break it up because I still have a ways to go.  That is one thing I like about Word better - it works well even with super long documents.  Broken, BMS, and Song for the Undead can't even fit into one Google Doc; I had to upload them in parts to Google Drive because it couldn't handle documents that size LOL.

OMG, this is my nightmare! I'm glad you were able to recover it because I would have curled up on the floor and sobbed uncontrollably before I even tried to find a solution. At least Google Docs has version mode, because remember when Word would do weird things and then be like "there's not a saved version of this, muahahahaha!"? Thinking about that gives me anxiety.

I'm impressed you keep such long stories together. I get annoyed at how slow they run and specifically break the story up into ten chapter chunks. Which is usually around one hundred pages. The ones that are more than 100 pages still get slow, but they're better than if the whole story was together. I actually had to break the last ten chapters of PBox into two sets of five because of how many pages they were already and how much editing I did -- docs just didn't have the capacity for more edits (I think it's a certain number of characters in all saved versions, but I can't remember how many it is... More than most people need, but it adds up if you keep editing an already long novel.).

Right now I have the OF version of PBox in a chapter by chapter document and that's weirder than ten chapter chunks, I think. But it's also helped because I've completely rewritten (or planned to complete rewrite) the first three chapters twice now, so I have a full document of the first version and a full document of the second version to scrutinize.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #297 on: September 06, 2021, 06:34:42 PM »

That's awesome that you're feeling inspired to write in the mornings! I'm too much of a useless human to write pre-coffee.

LOL Same here.  When I write in the mornings, whether it's while getting ready for work or in bed on the weekends, it's always WHILE drinking coffee.  The more coffee I've consumed prior to beginning, the better it will go.

Same! I skipped Friday because of work/the football game, but Saturday I started going back to work on PDemons and was writing a little conversation between Nick and Howie where Howie talked about how Nick used to skulk around the palace, sitting on ledges to watch people below him and I nearly died laughing thinking about it. So I decided I wanted to add a scene in the beginning of the OF version of PBox where Nick did just that... but I had to write part of the chapter before it to do so. Anyway, I spent a good two hours painstakingly deciding on a new name for Howie, since I couldn't keep writing "["Howie"]" if it was the chapter where he revealed his name (and actually ended up picking Brian's new name during the process as well). Then I ended up writing a little over 6200 words Saturday evening to Sunday night (and sleeping of course). But good news, this means I'm about one chapter and four scenes away from having the first eight chapters of the OF version done or... some semblance of penned anyway.

This has been happening to me a lot lately, actually. I ended up finishing my Brian chapter of my novella because I was trying to get into the groove for my Brian scene in 00Carter. (Is this a spoiler? I'm sorry! I'm about to write a Brian scene, lol!) I don't know if this is WADD or what, but I'm just trying to go where the inspiration takes me. I guess I wish I was making a little more headway on either PDemons or the novella because I'd like to have something to consistently post once PNecklace is finished (and obviously I can't post OF PBox), but I'm just happy to still be writing consistently even if I can't necessarily post consistently (yet... I'd rather not post for a while than post and leave anyone hanging).

Wow, sounds like you had a productive weekend too!  Care to share the names you picked out for OF Howie and Brian, or do you want to keep it a secret until it gets published?

Sounds like there's some kind of symbiotic relationship going on between your inspiration for various stories, which is cool!  The flitting around from story to story sounds like WADD, but at least you're finishing scenes and being productive.  Glad to hear you're still writing consistently!  Someday you'll be able to post all this stuff!

That's awesome that you wrote so much though! It sounds like letting the streak taper off and having the pallet cleanser of 00Carter brought back some inspiration!  :party:

Yes!  00Carter was a nice break from the drama of MBK (even though it was still dramatic in its own right), but it's also been nice to get back into my groove on MBK.  The scene I wrote yesterday was one I had been looking forward to for a long time, so I was glad to have the time and inspiration to churn it out.  Today I haven't written anything because that was the last chapter I had officially outlined, so I spent some time brainstorming and outlined the next six chapters instead.

OMG, this is my nightmare! I'm glad you were able to recover it because I would have curled up on the floor and sobbed uncontrollably before I even tried to find a solution. At least Google Docs has version mode, because remember when Word would do weird things and then be like "there's not a saved version of this, muahahahaha!"? Thinking about that gives me anxiety.

I'm impressed you keep such long stories together. I get annoyed at how slow they run and specifically break the story up into ten chapter chunks. Which is usually around one hundred pages. The ones that are more than 100 pages still get slow, but they're better than if the whole story was together. I actually had to break the last ten chapters of PBox into two sets of five because of how many pages they were already and how much editing I did -- docs just didn't have the capacity for more edits (I think it's a certain number of characters in all saved versions, but I can't remember how many it is... More than most people need, but it adds up if you keep editing an already long novel.).

Right now I have the OF version of PBox in a chapter by chapter document and that's weirder than ten chapter chunks, I think. But it's also helped because I've completely rewritten (or planned to complete rewrite) the first three chapters twice now, so I have a full document of the first version and a full document of the second version to scrutinize.

Yes!  I definitely had a moment of panic before I remembered I was using Google Docs and that it should be recoverable even if I had to close out of the doc because it was being glitchy.  Thankfully, I didn't even have to do that.  But after such a productive writing day, it was terrifying to watch all that work suddenly vanish LOL.  I definitely had that experience of losing whole scenes or chapters on Word and having to rewrite them.  I learned to save my work frequently!

That's what I did with AHTIM, ten-chapter chunks.  And with SAMS, which I started in Word and then switched to Docs partway through, I only wrote the new chapters in Docs and then copied and pasted them into my Word doc of the whole story once they were posted.  I prefer to have the whole story in one document so I can look back and find stuff in previous chapters without having to open a bunch of different files.  (I frequently use Find and Replace to make sure I'm not repeating exact phrases and descriptions.)  It was okay with Heroic Measures and Bethlehem because they were shorter, but MBK is going to be closer to 50 chapters like AHTIM, so at some point I think it's going to get too slow and glitchy for me to stand it.  I'll let you know when that time comes LOL.

That does sound helpful to have first and second versions of each chapter of your OF PBox.  I could see doing it that way for a novel I was trying to get published because there is so much more revision required there.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #298 on: September 06, 2021, 09:08:14 PM »

LOL Same here.  When I write in the mornings, whether it's while getting ready for work or in bed on the weekends, it's always WHILE drinking coffee.  The more coffee I've consumed prior to beginning, the better it will go.

The rate I'm going, I don't get to finish my coffee until 1pm, so morning writing is not an option, lol. Except on weekends; I can write and drink my coffee for the most part. We'll see how that goes with football season.

Wow, sounds like you had a productive weekend too!  Care to share the names you picked out for OF Howie and Brian, or do you want to keep it a secret until it gets published?

It's a secret, but I'll share the process. ;) I think it took me so long to pick a name because I was both going through my list of names to find one I liked and trying to find one that could fit Howie (and Brian/Kevin/AJ). Something like "Yeah, sure, in an alternate universe, Howie could be named Richard." But he can't. He's Howie. And that's when I started thinking, "Well, I have this completely made up language. Maybe I can make up names for them in this made up language instead and maybe it's the act of being given a human nickname that's endearing to these demons, rather than just having a nickname for an already human name."

So I went through my dictionary first to see if I could come up with anything in this language that would sound like root words that names could be derived from and sounded like "Nickolas." Because I figured that if I couldn't get that, then I should stick to the original plan. The "Nick" part was easy, I'd found something I liked a while ago that I mentioned before. And luckily I stumbled on an r-sound word that I loved with it (no words that start with "l" in the language though). And it being meaningful in the idea that his family would have picked it because it meant that made sense with his backstory, where it wouldn't really for other kids (real or fictional). Like there's no kids wandering around like "Oh, I know, it's crazy that my parents named me 'A Football Player' and I actually play football," lol (in real life, that kid is an accountant).

So deciding it could be done, I more generically went over names I liked and figured out the common threads in their root words. Things like "guard," "noble," "ruler," "peace," "gift," etcetera. Then picked combinations I liked for the characters and mashed them together until they made sense as a name and could make someone go "well this human name sounds sort of like that" and go with it. Although I figure "Kevin" would be the type to be like "Absolutely not, my name is Aowgeroigiorod and you will address me as such." (That was a keyboard smash, I haven't picked a "Kevin" or "AJ" name yet.) "Brian" and "AJ" would both be hesitant at first, given their roles in the story. "Howie" would adore being called anything besides "Your Majesty" or what have you. And Nick prompts it in the first place (something like "If it's hard to pronounce, call me whatever."); he's just happy that someone is talking to him, lol.

It was a process, but overall I'm happy with the choice. It just means that they all have kind of long names with syllable structure and what not.

Sounds like there's some kind of symbiotic relationship going on between your inspiration for various stories, which is cool!  The flitting around from story to story sounds like WADD, but at least you're finishing scenes and being productive.  Glad to hear you're still writing consistently!  Someday you'll be able to post all this stuff!

That's kind of why I figured I'd keep doing it. As long as I'm actually getting through scenes and chapters in some aspect, then there's progress being made. That's pretty much what I used to do with PNecklace/PDemons anyway, just write what felt fun. OF PBox is a little different because it's some new writing, but then a lot of rewriting the same thing in a different way. And then deciding that the chapter should go in a different place and then rewriting everything around it. And then thinking of something new to write and adding that in or replace something else with it. And... it goes on, lol. But the good news is, two characters who were originally the Boys have now been introduced and it doesn't feel too Backstreety. I did catch myself writing "More than that, [rest of sentence]" once and couldn't decide if that was Backstreety or not, lol.

Yes!  00Carter was a nice break from the drama of MBK (even though it was still dramatic in its own right), but it's also been nice to get back into my groove on MBK.  The scene I wrote yesterday was one I had been looking forward to for a long time, so I was glad to have the time and inspiration to churn it out.  Today I haven't written anything because that was the last chapter I had officially outlined, so I spent some time brainstorming and outlined the next six chapters instead.

Yay! I'm glad one of your "looking forward to it" scenes ended up aligning with time and inspiration! I'm glad you're back in your groove too. I know the end of the streak was sentence-by-sentence. That's crazy that you made it to the end of your official outlining. How many more do you think are past these six? And does your outline past that exist? Is more like my "At the end, there's a ____ and blank happens ____" notes? lol

Yes!  I definitely had a moment of panic before I remembered I was using Google Docs and that it should be recoverable even if I had to close out of the doc because it was being glitchy.  Thankfully, I didn't even have to do that.  But after such a productive writing day, it was terrifying to watch all that work suddenly vanish LOL.  I definitely had that experience of losing whole scenes or chapters on Word and having to rewrite them.  I learned to save my work frequently!

That's what I did with AHTIM, ten-chapter chunks.  And with SAMS, which I started in Word and then switched to Docs partway through, I only wrote the new chapters in Docs and then copied and pasted them into my Word doc of the whole story once they were posted.  I prefer to have the whole story in one document so I can look back and find stuff in previous chapters without having to open a bunch of different files.  (I frequently use Find and Replace to make sure I'm not repeating exact phrases and descriptions.)  It was okay with Heroic Measures and Bethlehem because they were shorter, but MBK is going to be closer to 50 chapters like AHTIM, so at some point I think it's going to get too slow and glitchy for me to stand it.  I'll let you know when that time comes LOL.

That does sound helpful to have first and second versions of each chapter of your OF PBox.  I could see doing it that way for a novel I was trying to get published because there is so much more revision required there.

Thank goodness. The worst was when the computer froze while you were trying to save. I've shouted "NOOOOOO!!!!!" at my computer more times that I can remember, lol.

Mine would have been chapter ten, lol. I get wanting to find/replace. I just deal with opening the however many documents. I know you hate tabs though. Right now I have 20 open and my laptop is fine; it's apparently great at multitasking. I wonder what page it takes until a document gets unbearable and too slow to function. Or if it's more of a computer thing.

I figured it was better to have it as is if I ever changed my mind and wanted to go back to it. Even though it means that I have a million documents with the same chapter.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #299 on: September 06, 2021, 10:21:22 PM »

It's a secret, but I'll share the process. ;)

It was a process, but overall I'm happy with the choice. It just means that they all have kind of long names with syllable structure and what not.

That makes sense. Sounds interesting! I'm glad to hear you were able to come up with some that sounded like human names. I know as a reader, I'm okay with made-up names, but it helps if they're something I can pronounce and don't stumble over each time I come to them.  Good luck coming up with them for Kevin and AJ!

But the good news is, two characters who were originally the Boys have now been introduced and it doesn't feel too Backstreety. I did catch myself writing "More than that, [rest of sentence]" once and couldn't decide if that was Backstreety or not, lol.

Out of context, I don't think anyone would see the phrase "more than that" and automatically think "Backstreet Boys."  We BSB fans might, but that's the fun of it.  It's like a little Easter egg.  I say keep it!

Yay! I'm glad one of your "looking forward to it" scenes ended up aligning with time and inspiration! I'm glad you're back in your groove too. I know the end of the streak was sentence-by-sentence. That's crazy that you made it to the end of your official outlining. How many more do you think are past these six? And does your outline past that exist? Is more like my "At the end, there's a ____ and blank happens ____" notes? lol

The rest of my outline is a timeline that includes real events in BSB history that I can tie into the story and a bulleted list of ideas I'm planning to include at some point, but don't know what chapter they'll be in yet.  I've planned through Chapter 32 now, but I'm guessing it will be closer to 50 chapters.

Mine would have been chapter ten, lol. I get wanting to find/replace. I just deal with opening the however many documents. I know you hate tabs though. Right now I have 20 open and my laptop is fine; it's apparently great at multitasking. I wonder what page it takes until a document gets unbearable and too slow to function. Or if it's more of a computer thing.

I figured it was better to have it as is if I ever changed my mind and wanted to go back to it. Even though it means that I have a million documents with the same chapter.

I do hate having too many tabs open at the time.  I usually have one for music, one for my story, one or two for research, and sometimes one for a chat/forum/social media, depending on how focused I'm being.  I can't stand much more than that.

That's probably a good idea to save the different versions until you're sure you're happy with one.  Even then, it might be fun to have old versions to look back at to see how much it's changed.  There's a part of me that does regret deleting the original versions of AHTIM, for example.  I should have just thrown them in a different folder and kept them.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25