Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25

Author Topic: Writing & Thread (aka The Writing Thread 4)  (Read 94113 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Writing & Thread (aka The Writing Thread 4)
« Reply #210 on: July 18, 2021, 08:55:39 PM »

Don't let them make you feel guilty with their punny ad. It's 157 days, 3 hours, 3 minutes, and 8 seconds away. That's plenty of time to stab one in fiction-land.

LOL!  No worries, the guilt never lasts long before I go right back to my torture.  This one is pretty tame compared to others, though.  No stabbings, no shootings, no cancer...  Nick can't believe his good luck!  Fanfic life has not been as kind to Kevin, but at least there are no bears this time?

I took most of yesterday to just watch TV and play "Little Alchemy" on my phone, so I get it, lol. I think it's good to take time for yourself and I'm trying to be better about that, that's why I watched TV yesterday and moved my writing spot to the couch today. I've gotten a few more here recently and it's been a while since I've seen some of them in person, so I am trying to say yes if I can. But you're right, I should probably space it out a bit. I think it'd be easier if I didn't have work too, lol. So far, my bids to be a stay-at-home wife haven't panned out, lol. I'm mostly kidding, I think I would get bored after a month or two without a job to go to.

I am obsessed with Harry Potter Puzzles and Spells, so I get it too LOL.  That is another reason why I don't read as much anymore, because I lie in bed and play that game on my phone instead.

It would definitely be easier if you didn't have work.  Damn work!  If only we could get everything we wanted for free.  But you're right.  I don't think I could be a stay-at-home mom either.  As much as I enjoy my summers off, I just feel like a more well-rounded, productive member of society when I'm working.  That's not to say being a stay-at-home mom isn't work or that it isn't stressful because it definitely is!  Having kids goes way beyond having a full-time job; that's a 24/7 job!  I like kids, but I am happy to send them back to their parents at the end of the day and go home to a quiet house where I can do whatever the hell I want for the rest of the evening.

I wonder if there's another place with music similar to what you like on youtube that won't give recommended music for a while, then you'd only go to youtube if you needed to do research.

Oh yeah, there are definitely other options.  I also have a writing playlist and stations I like on Amazon Music, as well as all the writing music I've downloaded over the years.  I allow myself to be distracted, so that's on me.  

Yeah, I think that was a lot of it. Should have gotten the blue light filter on my glasses after all, lol. I ate some food and finally got some ibuprofin around 11, so I mostly just feel sunburned now, lol. I've actually been writing and doing laundry (something else I hadn't felt like doing) for the last couple of hours, so I may finally be on the mend. Yay! I should probably eat something soon though. I am horrifically hydrated, which is probably how normal people feel and not me in my barely hydrated world. I'm one of those lobster girls Rose was talking about. I've also been drinking lattes again the past couple of days, so maybe the extra milk was making me feel bad. Who knows! But thanks, me too.

I think that's what I'll have to keep doing. It's not what I felt like writing today, so I haven't even looked at it yet. But the streak is alive, so that's good.

Glad you're feeling better!  Being sunburned could be part of it, too.  Or the milk.

I'm glad your streak is alive!  Hoping you get productive while hubby is gone!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #211 on: July 18, 2021, 09:15:30 PM »

LOL!  No worries, the guilt never lasts long before I go right back to my torture.  This one is pretty tame compared to others, though.  No stabbings, no shootings, no cancer...  Nick can't believe his good luck!  Fanfic life has not been as kind to Kevin, but at least there are no bears this time?

Good. Stab stab! Lucky Nick. Poor Kevin, but I'm sure he's glad there aren't any bears, lol. Things are looking up!

I am obsessed with Harry Potter Puzzles and Spells, so I get it too LOL.  That is another reason why I don't read as much anymore, because I lie in bed and play that game on my phone instead.

It would definitely be easier if you didn't have work.  Damn work!  If only we could get everything we wanted for free.  But you're right.  I don't think I could be a stay-at-home mom either.  As much as I enjoy my summers off, I just feel like a more well-rounded, productive member of society when I'm working.  That's not to say being a stay-at-home mom isn't work or that it isn't stressful because it definitely is!  Having kids goes way beyond having a full-time job; that's a 24/7 job!  I like kids, but I am happy to send them back to their parents at the end of the day and go home to a quiet house where I can do whatever the hell I want for the rest of the evening.

I only have 100 items left to find, so it will come to an end soon, lol.

I wish I could get everything for free. That's what I miss most about being twenty-one, lol. See, I think he would agree if I was saying I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, I think it's the "wife, no kids, no job" part he's disagreeing with, lol. I do feel productive, I just wish I had more PTO and scheduled time off, like a week a month would be awesome. Or working 4 10s would be good too. And yes, kids are quite time consuming, I'm sure.

Oh yeah, there are definitely other options.  I also have a writing playlist and stations I like on Amazon Music, as well as all the writing music I've downloaded over the years.  I allow myself to be distracted, so that's on me.

Eh, sometimes the distractions are worth it!

Glad you're feeling better!  Being sunburned could be part of it, too.  Or the milk.

I'm glad your streak is alive!  Hoping you get productive while hubby is gone!

Me too. I have no idea what's going on, but I've got to get to the grocery store and cook food at home again. That could be part of it too.

Thanks! Hopefully your well-wishes contribute to the inspiration!
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #212 on: July 18, 2021, 10:43:10 PM »

I only have 100 items left to find, so it will come to an end soon, lol.

I'm on Level 1300 something in mine, but I'm only up to Ron puking slugs in Chamber of Secrets, so I still have a ways to go.  I'm assuming there will be enough levels to go through all seven books eventually, so I could be playing for years!

I wish I could get everything for free. That's what I miss most about being twenty-one, lol. See, I think he would agree if I was saying I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, I think it's the "wife, no kids, no job" part he's disagreeing with, lol. I do feel productive, I just wish I had more PTO and scheduled time off, like a week a month would be awesome. Or working 4 10s would be good too. And yes, kids are quite time consuming, I'm sure.

College was the best!  I have no desire to be a student or live with roommates again, but I do miss the lack of responsibility besides passing your classes.

I wish we were more like Europe when it comes to time off and other job perks.  I can't complain because of having the whole summer off, but I would happily do a year-round school schedule where you have one month in the summer in exchange for longer, more frequent breaks throughout the year.  It would be nice to have more time off to travel other times of year when it's not hot everywhere.  This Christmas residency actually worked out really well with my work schedule, but usually it's such a hassle to do any kind of vacation during the school year.  I would also happily work four longer days a week to have a three-day weekend or Wednesdays off.

Eh, sometimes the distractions are worth it!

I mean, I did get a good laugh out of the series of "Celebrities audition for [Insert Movie Here]" sketches I watched.  I'm probably more easily distracted right now because it's summer and I don't feel like I'm in a time crunch yet.  I'm a little more focused during the school year when I know I only have so many hours to write.

Me too. I have no idea what's going on, but I've got to get to the grocery store and cook food at home again. That could be part of it too.

Thanks! Hopefully your well-wishes contribute to the inspiration!

I just got back from the grocery store!  Shopping at 9:00 on a Sunday night is the best LOL.  No crowds, no lines, and I can park up close.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #213 on: July 18, 2021, 11:23:05 PM »

As a none working person, I can tell you it doesn’t live up to the hype. I spend most of my days feeling like a total insignificant slug. I miss teaching. I do read a lot and paint but yeah, it’s not great. I’m a stay at home cat nanny. At least giving myself a title accounts for something.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #214 on: July 18, 2021, 11:31:29 PM »

Thanks!  I actually had a fairly productive writing night/morning after venting here and am now up to like 2500 words in my chapter.  Venting usually helps!  I also thought about taking a break from my novel and trying to work on something else (maybe a short story?), but I don't have any other ideas demanding to be written, so probably best for me to keep plugging away at this one.

It sounds like you're out of the habit.  Writing is like anything else; the longer you go without doing it, the harder it is to get back into it.  I know it was a struggle for me to get back into a groove after three years of sporadic writing while I was getting my master's.  I'm glad I had an in-progress project to finish because that gave me the motivation to do it.  It was a lot harder to start a new novel after finishing that one.  Short stories are a good way to get back into it without the commitment of a novel.  I hope you'll eventually come up with an idea for one that demands to be written and just go for it.  I know how frustrating it is to feel blocked and/or unmotivated, but I also know how good it feels to actually get something written.  My mood is almost always better after a good writing session.

Just getting started is going to be the hardest part. I just can’t do it for whatever reason. I’m hoping all these books I’m reading will give me motivation. I do feel like I’ve lost my writing voice.

Maybe I’ll try one of those things Dee posted. We shall see.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #215 on: July 19, 2021, 12:18:01 AM »

As a none working person, I can tell you it doesn’t live up to the hype. I spend most of my days feeling like a total insignificant slug. I miss teaching. I do read a lot and paint but yeah, it’s not great. I’m a stay at home cat nanny. At least giving myself a title accounts for something.

Stay at home cat nanny!  I love that!  I wonder if you could tutor or give private music lessons at your home after the pandemic?  Or if you could get back into writing, maybe you could find a way to make some money with that, whether it's freelance work or publishing another novel.  

Just getting started is going to be the hardest part. I just can’t do it for whatever reason. I’m hoping all these books I’m reading will give me motivation. I do feel like I’ve lost my writing voice.

Maybe I’ll try one of those things Dee posted. We shall see.

Getting started is definitely the hardest part!  You may be rusty at first, but I think writing is like swimming or riding a bike; your voice will come back to you quickly once you get going on something.  Reading is a good way to keep that writer's voice in your head, even when you're not actively using it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 12:20:03 AM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #216 on: July 19, 2021, 12:22:44 AM »

Also, you are up late, Mare!  Insomnia?
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #217 on: July 19, 2021, 01:59:49 AM »

More like inmommia. I don’t really sleep well to begin with but there will be very little sleep this week lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #218 on: July 19, 2021, 02:06:43 AM »

Stay at home cat nanny!  I love that!  I wonder if you could tutor or give private music lessons at your home after the pandemic?  Or if you could get back into writing, maybe you could find a way to make some money with that, whether it's freelance work or publishing another novel. 

Getting started is definitely the hardest part!  You may be rusty at first, but I think writing is like swimming or riding a bike; your voice will come back to you quickly once you get going on something.  Reading is a good way to keep that writer's voice in your head, even when you're not actively using it.

Income is a slippery slope when in the disability process. You basically have to stay at the poverty level or you lose medical benefits. In the government’s eyes if I can teach privately than there’s no reason I can’t teach all the time. It’s all very black and white. God bless America! I have been thinking about trying to get a short story published or something. I just need to push myself up the mountain to do it.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #219 on: July 19, 2021, 04:35:34 AM »

More like inmommia. I don’t really sleep well to begin with but there will be very little sleep this week lol

LOL Aww... hang in there.  I hope the rest of the week with your mom goes well!

Income is a slippery slope when in the disability process. You basically have to stay at the poverty level or you lose medical benefits. In the government’s eyes if I can teach privately than there’s no reason I can’t teach all the time. It’s all very black and white. God bless America! I have been thinking about trying to get a short story published or something. I just need to push myself up the mountain to do it.

Oh wow, I didn't think about that, but yeah... that does make it even more complicated.  That really sucks.  There's obviously a big difference between teaching full time in a school setting and teaching part time in your own home.  While I'm glad you're able to get benefits at all, the system is messed up.

Well, writing is at least a time-consuming hobby that you could also do for free if you can get yourself back into it.  I believe in you and your creativity!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #220 on: July 20, 2021, 04:52:36 PM »

LOL Aww... hang in there.  I hope the rest of the week with your mom goes well!

Oh wow, I didn't think about that, but yeah... that does make it even more complicated.  That really sucks.  There's obviously a big difference between teaching full time in a school setting and teaching part time in your own home.  While I'm glad you're able to get benefits at all, the system is messed up.

Well, writing is at least a time-consuming hobby that you could also do for free if you can get yourself back into it.  I believe in you and your creativity!

I know, the whole thing has been a huge nightmare. I had heard stories before but I didn’t think it was going to be this bad. At the moment I have insurance but I still don’t have any actual money coming in. It’s been over a year and they are STILL working on my application. I’ve been told by pretty much everybody that it’ll  most likely be declined. They tend to decline everyone the first time you apply for disability unless you’re literally dying. It’s ridiculous.

I’m going to try to write next week. I think I need to wait until mom is gone, but maybe she’ll give me the motivation I need. lol
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 04:54:22 PM by mare »

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #221 on: July 20, 2021, 10:16:00 PM »

That is so frustrating.  I'm sure Covid doesn't help with the processing time, since everything probably got backed up last year.  What a mess.

LOL Well, here's hoping you get some motivation without losing your mind.  How's it been going with your mom?
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #222 on: July 20, 2021, 10:23:09 PM »

A couple questions I thought of to discuss:

Do you think your writing continues to gets better with each story, or have you already hit your peak as a writer?  If it's the latter, when (or with what story) did you peak, and why do you think that is?

For those who have taken extended breaks from writing, do you think it affected the quality of your writing when you came back?  Did you feel rusty when you started again or notice a decline?
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #223 on: July 21, 2021, 09:49:26 PM »

Inmomnia is the worst! Hopefully you'll get some real rest soon, Mare! Disability sounds really complicated. I can't believe they take such a long time to turn down people who need it. :( I hope it all gets worked out soon.

I'm sending you good writing vibes as always. :) We should all try one of those short story prompts. Here's another six word story:

"What are mask mandates?" Brian asked.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #224 on: July 21, 2021, 09:55:52 PM »

I'm on Level 1300 something in mine, but I'm only up to Ron puking slugs in Chamber of Secrets, so I still have a ways to go.  I'm assuming there will be enough levels to go through all seven books eventually, so I could be playing for years!

That is a long game! How many more are available now?

College was the best!  I have no desire to be a student or live with roommates again, but I do miss the lack of responsibility besides passing your classes.

I wish we were more like Europe when it comes to time off and other job perks.  I can't complain because of having the whole summer off, but I would happily do a year-round school schedule where you have one month in the summer in exchange for longer, more frequent breaks throughout the year.  It would be nice to have more time off to travel other times of year when it's not hot everywhere.  This Christmas residency actually worked out really well with my work schedule, but usually it's such a hassle to do any kind of vacation during the school year.  I would also happily work four longer days a week to have a three-day weekend or Wednesdays off.

I miss the free drinks, lol.

I keep suggesting we get the whole month of July off, but it hasn't happened yet. It's not too bad to plan vacations during the school year, but it always stresses me out. I feel like I could be doing more, and then there's all the catch up when I get back. It's really not worth it. Skipping these drop in days will be totally work it though, lol. I volunteered for Wednesdays. I could definitely work two days, have Wednesday off, then work two more days.

I mean, I did get a good laugh out of the series of "Celebrities audition for [Insert Movie Here]" sketches I watched.  I'm probably more easily distracted right now because it's summer and I don't feel like I'm in a time crunch yet.  I'm a little more focused during the school year when I know I only have so many hours to write.

What movies were the celebrities auditioning for?

I just got back from the grocery store!  Shopping at 9:00 on a Sunday night is the best LOL.  No crowds, no lines, and I can park up close.

Ours is always busy, but the parking lot is so little. I finally went on Monday afternoon. My life has been a lot better since I've had yogurt and bananas back in my life, lol.
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25