Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: Have I ever introduced myself...?  (Read 12394 times)

Zakheriash

• Fledgling
Have I ever introduced myself...?
« on: August 27, 2021, 09:14:14 AM »

Hi. I'm Zakheriash (gesundheit, I know...), better known to some as Ash, and others as Zak, and still others as Chaos.  I'm actually just using this post to test a couple things with new memberships, but figured hey, I haven't been around much for several years, so probably I was due to post something other than just site maintenance stuff.

So...I have been a fanfiction writer since I was old enough to tell stories and way before I even knew what fanfiction was. My sister loves to remind me that I started with making up stories about how the "Big Bad Wolf" was actually the good guy. My very first fandom that I remember actually writing down stories for was Scooby Doo! Yeah, I was like 6 but hey, I still loved the Scooby gang enough to write stories about them (that never got shared with anyone other than one of my sisters). 

The first fandom where I actually SHARED my writing was Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  I even created a rather large fanfiction archive back in the day when there wasn't an app like efiction (or AO3) or similar and every story submitted to my site was hand coded into HTML and manually added to a page of links. My best friend and I spent HOURS proofreading and posting other people's stories. That continued until I could no longer even stand to read one more story about a vampire named "Angle". I still have a major soft spot for the fandom, but I was majorly relieved when fanfiction.net became a thing and I decided to shut down the manual archive.

I got into BSB fiction over a bet. I wasn't a fan (didn't dislike them, but couldn't have told you anything whatsoever about them other than "I Want it That Way" was catchy and confusing.)  It was born of a discussion about fanfiction; the person I was talking with had NO IDEA that I ran a huge fanfiction archive or was a life-long fanfic writer. They pretty much were of the opinion that "nobody with any writing talent writes fanfiction".  I, of course, vehemently disagreed. I shared a few examples from other writers. But from there the conversation delved into what were "legit" fandoms. My posit was that ANY fandom can have good stories told. I was willing to put my money where my mouth is and they picked the fandom and I wrote the story. Hello, Ground Zero.  I made several friends in the fandom as I researched and wrote, so when fanfiction.net decided that they were going to eliminate "Real Person Fiction", I really wanted a place to keep the fandom writers together, so Absolute Chaos (which actually used to be a completely non-fanfic site lol) was co-opted and turned into a new fanfic archive. And the rest is history.

Alas, I have had to mostly drop out of fanfiction writing (and reading, which I also greatly miss) due to life getting in the way. I regret nothing (well, okay a few things) and wouldn't trade raising my niece and nephews for all the time in the world. COVID brought everyone home again (I was almost an empty nester...). My day job turned into a work from home situation and has been busier than ever with the COVID crisis, so that's been...interes ting.

I am about to actually become an empty nester for real (where does the time go?), so am hoping that I can start getting back into writing. And being forced to figure out how to save A.C. reminded me how much I used to enjoy working on a website, so I hope to be able to start that up again and hopefully not fade completely out of site ( ;D) again. Efiction has been an unsupported application for some time now, and I've kind of wanted to tackle writing my own upgrade to it to make it more compliant and hopefully iron out some of the issues that caused us to have to shut off reviews (I may not have written anything for a long while, but I do remember how much those reviews meant to me and how much they mean to other writers.)  I can't guarantee anything, but it is one of my personal goals to at least take a stab at making reviews possible again (without opening up to lots of spam...

Anyhoo, that's a long enough post (I babble, therefore I am) to test what I need to test and to basically say "hi" and introduce myself to those of you who are still around and those who joined after I faded out of the fandom...

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Have I ever introduced myself...?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 10:37:01 PM »

Hi Ash!  Thanks for sharing the history of this site and how you came to write Ground Zero; I didn't know a lot of that.  It's nice to see you back here, and I hope you do get back into writing and find your love for maintaining a site again!  I would love to see reviews turned back on, but understand the need to solve the spam problem first.

That continued until I could no longer even stand to read one more story about a vampire named "Angle".

This cracked me up! LOL  Kinda like reading stories about a Backstreet Boy named "Brain."
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 02:21:19 PM »

It’s great seeing you back, Ash. It’ll be nice if things can semi get back to normal. Can’t believe your little ones aren’t so little anymore.

I laughed at the angle thing too! Lol

Brian and brain, classic!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 12:54:38 PM »

Can’t believe your little ones aren’t so little anymore.

I know, right?!?!  It just doesn't seem like it's possible...

I laughed at the angle thing too! Lol

Brian and brain, classic!

That could be an absolutely amazing crossover. The adventures of Angle and Brain.  Although it would also be quite funny to take a story and replace Brian with "The Brain" from Pinky and the Brain...:cackles:. (Yeah, I got little sleep last night...)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 11:37:27 PM »

Ground Zero was one of the first stories I read when I joined this forum, before I ever began posting my own writing. It's a favorite of mine still to this day.

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 03:08:40 PM »

Ground Zero was one of the first stories I read when I joined this forum, before I ever began posting my own writing. It's a favorite of mine still to this day.
Aww, thank you!  I actually surprised myself on how much I enjoyed writing it. 

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 09:50:03 PM »

I had no idea Ground Zero started as a bet! I loved hearing more background and history of how you ended up here, but I'm happy you did.  :)

And time flies! I'm glad you've gotten so much time with your not so littles, even if it's because of COVID.

Anyway, great to see you back!

This cracked me up! LOL  Kinda like reading stories about a Backstreet Boy named "Brain."

I laughed so hard at both Angle and Brain. I was just thinking that I would love to read adventures about them, and then...

That could be an absolutely amazing crossover. The adventures of Angle and Brain.  Although it would also be quite funny to take a story and replace Brian with "The Brain" from Pinky and the Brain...:cackles:. (Yeah, I got little sleep last night...)

I agree this is hilarious. I'm with you 100%!
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey