Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Fanfic cliches  (Read 20090 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Fanfic cliches
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2007, 11:27:06 PM »

That's what we were missing in 5 BAckstreet Boys in search of a plot! The Horribly cliched chapter! Dang!!

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2007, 11:27:39 PM »

Speaking of soap operas, those things are made of cliche mixed with sap... And are oh so entertaining. :D
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2007, 11:32:19 PM »

... And conversations that go on forever and ever.

The only soap I've ever really watched is Days, but I swear, I could only watch it on Fridays and stay totally caught up with it because it takes a week for anything to happen.  A single conversation between two people can go on for days.  (Heh, Days.)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2007, 11:36:22 PM »

Haha. :D

The only one I ever really watched was Passions... But yeah, everything does take a long time to happen...
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2007, 07:07:36 AM »

It was fun to write though, cause it was like a soap opera LOL.

Did anyone come back from the dead? :)
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2007, 04:28:18 PM »

Did anyone come back from the dead? :)

Yes, after one of her multiple personalities killed her and before she was possessed by the devil.

Actually, no. :)
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2007, 04:50:57 PM »

Ahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

That almost made me die, Julie.
~*Dee*~

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
    • Drifting-In-Between-Dreams A Place to Lose Reality if Only for a Moment
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2007, 02:38:59 AM »

Normally I hate the friends fall in love stories. But when I started writing one, there are tons of things you can do with it, to make it less cliched and more like a real-life drama. Honestly with Romance/angst/drama the more realistic the plotline and characters, the better the story will be. I think what makes a story less than stellar is that the writer either should NOT be writing, or there's not enough of what could REALLY happen in the story.

For instance right now in my series the two friends (Ali and Nick) who fell in love are beginning to drift apart. They've grown too comfortable with each other, as couples often do after a certain point and having them deal with real relationship issues as far as trust and intimacy, etc.

It's REALLY easy to be like hey they fell in love, happily ever after, the end. lol But that's not how life is and making it reflect life and real relationships is what makes a good Romance story.
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."
Angel: "Spike.... just walk away"
Spike: "You're a..."
Angel: "Don't say it!"
Spike: "You're a bleeding puppet!"

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2007, 04:07:54 AM »

^ That's what I've tried to do with mine too.  Otherwise it's too boring, if it's just girl meets boy, girl and boy fall in love, girl and boy get married and have babies and live happily ever after without any of the problems normal couples face.
~Julie

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Some love is not really love at all..
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2007, 07:43:52 AM »

lol.. I guess 'Memories' falls into the cliché-category.. as to why I never managed to finish that one.. ;)

'Lavender Rush' will have a ton of clichés too, though.. but I'll try to use my knowledge of certain psychological disorders to make some things more realisitic..
I can't seem to get into the writing mood though. I think I need a new challenge..
Not every dream is supposed to come true
Some words are best unsaid
Some love is not really love at all
I keep everything I shared with you
And that's enough.. there's us..

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2007, 09:56:56 PM »

I thought of quite possibly my most hated cliche EVER.  It's not just a fanfic one; it's more a movie/TV show one.

When people are like "Let's start over..." and then they introduce themselves to each other and act like they just met.

Who DOES that?!  I hate that!!!
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2007, 10:12:35 PM »

Oh I got teased for one of my stories having a cliche part or meeting or something so the next chapter I wrote making fun of my own cliche in the story. LOL!

I like to TRY and take a cliche idea and twist it into an acutal story. Like Amnesia... LOL ... or More Than That... *nods* but I don't know if I succeed... heh I'd like to think they aren't as cliche despite their cliche moments.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2007, 10:24:28 PM »

I thought of another cliche, but it REALLY thank God isn't as popular as it once was. I remember back a few years ago I guess cuz a lot of fan fic writers at the time were older there were a lot of "Nick getting it on with an older woman" stories. It used to piss me off cuz at the time I was prolly not even 20 and I'm like Ugh I don't wanna read about a 30 yr old woman LOl

OMG I completely forgot about the angel stories! I SOOO had one and guess what the angels name was? Angelina!  :-[

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2007, 10:40:49 PM »

LMAO the angel stories!!!!  Ahh, I read a few of those.

And I know of the Nick/cougar (older woman) stories too.  Cover Me With Dreams aside, I find those hard to get into.  It just depends though.
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2007, 10:42:38 PM »

The reason the Nick/older lady stories were big is because there are a LOT Of older women who like Nick and wanted a story for themselves... heh!
- Purpura -
   -Lore-
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8