Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Story quizzes  (Read 19236 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Story quizzes
« on: July 17, 2007, 04:32:47 PM »

Okay, since this board has been quiet lately, I thought I'd throw an idea out.  One of the girls on my forum, Kristy, came up with this idea, and I thought the only place it might work is AC, so I told her I'd bring it over to you guys.

Does anyone remember doing Accelerated Reader (AR) at school?  If not, it's a reading program where you read a book, then take a short comprehension quiz (like 5 or 10 multiple choice questions) about it on the computer.  The book is worth a certain amount of points based on reading level, and you get points based on how many of the questions you answer right.

Kristy was thinking it would be fun to do something like this for fanfic - take quizzes on the stories you read for points, just for fun, and strive to read the most or something LOL.

I thought the best way to do it would be to have authors make up the quizzes for their own stories, but I have no idea how the logistics of this would work, how to set it up or anything.  In case you haven't noticed, I'm full of ideas that I never follow through on LOL, but I told her I'd pass this one on in case anyone liked it and wanted to take some iniative to set it up. :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: Story quizzes
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 04:38:27 PM »

I did that once just for the heck of. :D

I put them on Quiz Your Friends.com

Here's the basic idea, if you were curious:

http://www02.quizyourfriends.com/quizpage.php?quizname=061024012347-453138

http://www02.quizyourfriends.com/quizpage.php?quizname=061024015910-377037
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 04:44:42 PM »

Ah cool!  That would be a good site to do it on; I forgot about that site.  I was thinking of Quizilla, but Quiz Your Friends is way better because it keeps track of scores...
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 04:52:47 PM »

I did that once for FFF too as a little quiz and I think I used the same thing as Dee.

That is a good idea but seems like a lot of work. It might be fun to do it as a thread instead. You know like a game. You could maybe talk about a story by describing it or mention a character or a line and then the next person has to guess which story it is?

Something like that lol I don't know...i'm just throwing things out there.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 05:01:22 PM »

and on a side note i'd probably fail if I took one of my own quizzes since I can't even seem to recall my characters names half the time! lmao
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »

Aww Mare... Everyone's entitled to make mistakes. Even you! And at least you're not like me who winds up staring at the computer screen for an hour because she has no clue what to name a pretty minor character such as Nick's lawyer  :-[

This sounds like fun, but I'd be tempted to make up really tough questions just to be mean like that LOL

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 05:20:53 PM »

And at least you're not like me who starts to write things and then stops for extended periods of time. :D
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 05:53:42 PM »

I have the opposite problem. I spend too little time worrying about names so much so that when the time comes to remember someone's name I always have to go back and check lol

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 06:27:24 PM »

I have the opposite problem. I spend too little time worrying about names so much so that when the time comes to remember someone's name I always have to go back and check lol

Whenever I think of a nice sounding full name it hits me later that the name sounds good cuz it belongs to somebody famous lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 06:30:12 PM »

I just name most of my female characters (the minor ones) after readers LOL.  Then I'm less likely to forget their names, and I don't have to worry about making up the names myself.
~Julie

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 06:52:22 PM »

I just name most of my female characters (the minor ones) after readers LOL.  Then I'm less likely to forget their names, and I don't have to worry about making up the names myself.

Yea but this is for a male character... I think I got it though now. But now I'm distracted cuz I saw Nick on The Insider earlier and he was boxing *salivates* LOL

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 07:07:26 PM »

Nick boxing? :D

I use a baby namer and find names that describe the characters. :)
~*Dee*~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 07:09:29 PM »

I do the female names after readers as well. It's the males I can never remember. lol I need Ginko Biloba

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 07:26:13 PM »

Nick boxing? :D

Yea sounds crazy actually, but yea I think you woulda had to see it to appreciate it. He was on The Insider showing off all the weight he's lost. It's actually a really big shocker.  :o

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 08:43:31 PM »

Yea sounds crazy actually, but yea I think you woulda had to see it to appreciate it. He was on The Insider showing off all the weight he's lost. It's actually a really big shocker.  :o

My mom actually just told me about that. :D
~*Dee*~

Pages: [1] 2