Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Featured story thread  (Read 14449 times)

Mariah

• Major Disruption
  • Let go of today, tomorrow's another day...
    • http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=1274
Re: The Featured story thread
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 06:52:03 PM »

So I guess new writers who don't post on the forums, with arguably great story lines aren't in the running to be featured? What about someone who's been around for a few years, posts on the forum nearly regularly but doesn't have a lot of recommendation s but you like their stuff anyway? Was just confused on that part really.
My Stories
Jack: FYI, he was the love of my life.
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 07:04:58 PM »

If they are that great, my hope is someone will recommend them so we know they are that great. Otherwise, yes they probably wouldn't get featured because their greatness will be unknown to all except the person who thinks it's great but not great enough to share the love. lol

That's how Evergreen got her first month. If you look at the recommend a feature thread, her name showed up all over the place. At the time she rarely if ever posted on the forum but by word of mouth she got a month and now is getting another because she won best new author.

As far as the other question, my goal is to have everyone be featured at one point. As long as your story falls in the guidelines (you can't only co-write, you have to have a story at least almost done and novel length etc...) Then you'll eventually be featured.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 09:08:33 PM »

So I guess new writers who don't post on the forums, with arguably great story lines aren't in the running to be featured? What about someone who's been around for a few years, posts on the forum nearly regularly but doesn't have a lot of recommendation s but you like their stuff anyway? Was just confused on that part really.

It's a forum based feature. Why would Mare choose someone who doesn't post on the forums? If they're interested in being picked it would be in their best interest to start using the forum.

And it's not about Mare liking someone's stuff personally. Like she said, she hasn't even read a large chunk of the stories that have been featured. It's up to other people to say they like it. If you're (or whoever) isn't getting recommended then talk to your (their) readers, it's up to them to suggest it!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Mariah

• Major Disruption
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 10:32:36 PM »

And it's not about Mare liking someone's stuff personally. Like she said, she hasn't even read a large chunk of the stories that have been featured. [/b]It's up to other people to say they like it.[/b] If you're (or whoever) isn't getting recommended then talk to your (their) readers, it's up to them to suggest it!

Ah so its like a word of mouth thing? Not necessarily a popular writer right? I was just thinking the point of being Nominated and/or winning at the Felix awards would help in that department, yes? Sorry if I worded that weird, just that's what I think you guys are saying.
My Stories
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 05:15:52 AM »

Generally if a person gets a bunch or recommendation s that would indicate they are "popular". Like Mare said before, Jen got her first feature because so many people were talking about her story. Not because Mare liked it, she's never read it.

Before recommending people in the other thread though you should take a look at who has been featured already. If all of your previous questions were asking why Steph wasn't featured all you had to do was look at the first post of this thread to see she already had been.

And apart from the best new author and best author winning feature months the Felix Awards don't have a whole lot of bearing on the featured story. Mare only picks the author, they choose the story to be featured.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 05:17:52 AM by julilly »
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Sapphire

• Major Disruption
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 03:37:32 PM »

I kinda agree with the first question. I for example only post in certain sections of this forum but not every day. If I were featured, then I would certainly be checking to make sure I am active in the thread and participating in the discussion of my story. I understand that it's word of mouth but that equals the most popular.

Mariah

• Major Disruption
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 03:46:35 PM »

I understand that it's word of mouth but that equals the most popular.

Yeah that's what I'm getting from it. I've been around AC for a while, post pretty much daily since I came back late last year. So its really a "spread the word" thing.
My Stories

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 04:27:43 PM »

Or you can just go in the suggestions thread and suggest your own work. That's perfectly fine too lol

But yes, word of mouth and recs. A lot of people post on this forum who do not write as well so I don't really pay all that much attention to the posting thing when it comes to recs.

When and if you are featured i'll always PM you an entire month before you are featured so this way you have time to pick a story and know some of the questions i'll be asking you etc... That's where being a forum member is important. It's harder to communicate with you otherwise.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Mariah

• Major Disruption
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 04:45:11 PM »

Isn't that sort of the same thing as an "Updates" thread? Like letting people aware of your work? It sounds like to me, that its based on recs solely. Which is fine. But then again, not everybody has a fanbase like some writers on that list who've been featured twice.

I don't know, maybe I'm thinking this way because this is how they used to do it at the whimsical archive back in the nsync days. It wasn't based on recs or popularity/reviews but more the webmasters chance of giving everyone (who updates and just writes) a shot at being featured. I thought that's what it means. Didn't know it was like a group appreciation meeting. Nothing wrong with that, just, its almost like you have to wait for someone to catch lighting in a bottle or something. I don't know... lol
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 04:47:27 PM by Mariah »
My Stories

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 05:20:03 PM »

Mariah, if you were given a month, which of your stories would be featured?  I'm asking because, looking at your profile, all but one of your stories are incomplete and under twenty chapters.  The only one that's finished is a short story.  It's really easier to discuss stories that are complete, near complete, or long enough to have a lot to talk about, even if they're not that close to being finished.

Also, I want to point out that in the 48 months the Featured Story thing has been going on, 48 different authors have been featured (sometimes two in a month when you look at the collaborations that have been featured).  No one has been featured more than twice, and it was only in the last three months of last year that anyone got a second turn, usually 2 or 3 years after their original turn.  It's not like Mare is just rotating through a few of her favorite authors.  It's also not like she just scrolls through the list of all the writers on AC and picks a name at random.  Everyone who has been featured is either a regular on the forum or has been heavily requested, and many of the featured authors have been both.

If you continue to be active on the forum, and if you continue to update and actually finish some of your stories so that people will be able to discuss them, you will be featured at some point.  That's all it takes.  I'm not sure why it's so difficult to understand...
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Mariah

• Major Disruption
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 05:50:27 PM »

Mariah, if you were given a month, which of your stories would be featured?  I'm asking because, looking at your profile, all but one of your stories are incomplete and under twenty chapters.  The only one that's finished is a short story.  It's really easier to discuss stories that are complete, near complete, or long enough to have a lot to talk about, even if they're not that close to being finished.

Also, I want to point out that in the 48 months the Featured Story thing has been going on, 48 different authors have been featured (sometimes two in a month when you look at the collaborations that have been featured).  No one has been featured more than twice, and it was only in the last three months of last year that anyone got a second turn, usually 2 or 3 years after their original turn.  It's not like Mare is just rotating through a few of her favorite authors.  It's also not like she just scrolls through the list of all the writers on AC and picks a name at random.  Everyone who has been featured is either a regular on the forum or has been heavily requested, and many of the featured authors have been both.

If you continue to be active on the forum, and if you continue to update and actually finish some of your stories so that people will be able to discuss them, you will be featured at some point.  That's all it takes.  I'm not sure why it's so difficult to understand...

I guess its difficult because its a new forum and everybody knows everybody here. Honestly, you guys are so different from the nsync crowd. I really don't know what that means. I'm not really saying stuff like this should happen right now. And actually, I have a story already finished, as well as a sequel lined up for it. Crazy Thoughts, just haven't posted all of it.  So thats something, if I had to choose any of my stories since obviously incomplete ones are invalid. And also, I've seen novels that are nearly 20 chapters that are completed. So I don't think a story has to be a full 20 chapters to be considered finished. I don't remember seeing that on the list of requirements. If its finished, its done. Unless theres a sequel. I do continue to update Julie, thank you. Just not as quick as everybody else does.
My Stories

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 06:24:12 PM »

It's not the same thing as the update thread. An update thread is to let people know you have updated.

LOL I honestly don't know how to explain it any better than I have. I mean I think I have covered all of your questions multiple times in this thread alone, including the fact that I want to give everyone a chance to be featured at one point whether they are recomended or not. I'll say it again though lol if you want to be featured, go into the rec thread and mention it. I think that makes sense? I am making sense, right? lol

Mariah

• Major Disruption
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 06:33:01 PM »

Hmm, I didn't know asking you to clarify what you meant was such an annoyance. I was genuinely confused on how they were chosen. Next time, I won't ask anymore questions just because I was confused. That was bad. :(
My Stories

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2011, 06:34:10 PM »

And actually, I have a story already finished, as well as a sequel lined up for it. Crazy Thoughts, just haven't posted all of it.  So thats something, if I had to choose any of my stories since obviously incomplete ones are invalid. And also, I've seen novels that are nearly 20 chapters that are completed. So I don't think a story has to be a full 20 chapters to be considered finished. I don't remember seeing that on the list of requirements. If its finished, its done. Unless theres a sequel. I do continue to update Julie, thank you. Just not as quick as everybody else does.

We can't discuss something that's not posted, and your stories that are under 20 chapters AREN'T finished.  That's my point.  Finish them, post the rest on the site, and then when you're eventually featured, people will have more to talk about.

There ARE other people on the forum and on the site who have more stories, longer stories, more finished stories, more frequently updated stories, and still haven't been featured, simply because their turn hasn't come around yet.  Again, there are only enough months for twelve people to be featured in a year, two of which are taken by the Best Author winners at Felix, and if you haven't noticed, there are quite a few posters here and quite a few authors on the site.  Be patient.  If you want a turn, you'll get a turn eventually.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 06:38:39 PM »

I guess its difficult because its a new forum and everybody knows everybody here. Honestly, you guys are so different from the nsync crowd. I really don't know what that means. I'm not really saying stuff like this should happen right now. And actually, I have a story already finished, as well as a sequel lined up for it. Crazy Thoughts, just haven't posted all of it.  So thats something, if I had to choose any of my stories since obviously incomplete ones are invalid. And also, I've seen novels that are nearly 20 chapters that are completed. So I don't think a story has to be a full 20 chapters to be considered finished. I don't remember seeing that on the list of requirements. If its finished, its done. Unless theres a sequel. I do continue to update Julie, thank you. Just not as quick as everybody else does.

It's a new forum? The forum has been active since 2006, you've been a member since 2007.

You're allowed to recommend yourself, and if it's important to you then you'll ask your readers to recommend you also. So, and I think this is what Mare was getting at, if what you're asking is for your own stuff to be featured then just go into the recommendation s thread and recommend yourself already.

If you're still confused about how it works; people recommend authors (there are 506 on AC, 48 have been featured thus far), Mare puts those authors on a list, picks one for every month, they pick the story they want to have featured, it's discussed.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:08:23 PM by julilly »
~Maple Jellybean~

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4