Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Banners  (Read 16861 times)

Laura Mae

• Captain of Commotion
Re: Banners
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006, 11:50:47 PM »

See, this is exactly why we need set maximum dimensions to go by... otherwise, it's just going to be the same "Well, is this size okay?" question over and over again. I personally don't have a problem if it needs to be under a certain size, just as long as it's clear exactly what size it has to be equal to or smaller.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006, 11:56:50 PM »

I think it's 300 by 300, I was just wondering if one made made up for the other if that was okay...
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006, 12:49:50 AM »

They tried to set max dimensions, and people are arguing.

Personally, I think 300 pixels for the max height is perfect - any bigger than that, and it starts to take up the whole screen and causes more scrolling, especially for people with a smaller screen resolution.  But if you keep the height below 300, I don't see why the max width couldn't be a little higher than 300... because then it still wouldn't cause people to have to scroll; it would just fill up more of the horizontal white space.

Nicksgal's siggy banner is 471 pixels wide, and it doesn't look big at all because it's so short.  I think the problem is the people who go overboard on the width AND height and end up with these HUGE banners that consume the whole page... and the problem seems to be more with the height than the width, cause that's what's causing the scrolling issues.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2006, 12:57:58 AM »

well considering nickgals banner IS one of my banners I definately could do that ... :-D  longer and shorter.. I can do that. 

by longer I just mean longer then like 300 ... like 450
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 12:59:53 AM by Purpura Lipstick »
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2006, 12:59:49 AM »

well considering nickgals banner IS one of my banners I definately could do that ... :-D  longer and shorter.. I can do that. 

I'm not a mod, so don't go with me on that LOL, but I think it would be reasonable if they would allow that.
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2006, 01:01:10 AM »

I'm not a mod, so don't go with me on that LOL, but I think it would be reasonable if they would allow that.

oh I know you aren't, that's why I was asking if I could do that ... because if they allow that then I'm fine... but 300 X 300 is square and doesn't look as good but 450 wide by 150 height looks okay and evens out to about the same ;)   
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2006, 01:29:46 AM »

It is PuraPura's banner...

And I understand the scrolling issue. Since there's already like ten entries per page, it does get kinda long... I already fixed one of my huge ones.

But like that image I was asking about is only 360. I don't think that it's sooo much bigger... But maybe that's just me...
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Some love is not really love at all..
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2006, 01:38:37 AM »

I will resize mine, when I find the time (which is NOT today..). I hope the mods will give us some time to resize them and not delete/remove them immediately.. :(
Not every dream is supposed to come true
Some words are best unsaid
Some love is not really love at all
I keep everything I shared with you
And that's enough.. there's us..

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2006, 01:56:41 AM »

I'll resize mine when I get the chance, I'm also with the "longer and shorter" question. In a reasonable way of course. Cause square just doesn't look as pretty lol
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2006, 03:57:00 AM »

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/5042/jad2resizeip8.png what about something like this? Its not exactly 300 x 300 (I tried and it just would not work) but its 321 x 275. Just a suggestion, but maybe so people can have leeway with the "shape"  (rectangle or square) we can have it so the dimmensions must add up to 600 at max (300 x 300, 250 x 350...etc)? Just an idea :)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2006, 07:09:58 AM »

Okay sorry guys I really didn't think this would be such a huge problem for everyone, it's just a banner. Lot's of stories don't even have them.

I think the height 300 is more than fine. It shouldn't go above that no matter what.

I don't think there is a problem with the length being extended like you asked Purpura. I would say the banner in your signature would be fine, but i'll talk to Chaos and Jullily just so we are all in agreement. It's really the height that tends to slow things down and takes forever to get through the pages on AC.

and that's also a good idea Rose about adding up to 600 as a max. We're all just trying to figure out what the best thing possible for everybody would be. We'll keep you updated.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2006, 07:17:02 AM »

I will resize mine, when I find the time (which is NOT today..). I hope the mods will give us some time to resize them and not delete/remove them immediately.. :(

Of course we'll give you time lol We're not just going to go on a deleting rampage or anything. The thing is we have been asking this for a really long time now. I posted a request about this at the end of October in the news section of AC and Chaos has mentioned it way before that as well. We just felt like if we posted it on this board more people would actually take it seriously.

We just wanted everyone to be aware that it's a problem.

:)

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
    • Drifting-In-Between-Dreams A Place to Lose Reality if Only for a Moment
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2006, 11:35:20 AM »

I'm going to try to resize mine, at least the height and maybe make it longer. I think the maximum of 600 is a good idea too. That way we don't have banners that do take up the whole page. I have normal screen resolution and some banners are just too big. The look about half my screen. Even on the computer where I made mine (which has a low resolution), mine were still smaller than those. I think the biggest mine is, is 481 by 321 that because the image I was using as my background wouldn't go any smaller in height without drastically reducing the width as well.
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."
Angel: "Spike.... just walk away"
Spike: "You're a..."
Angel: "Don't say it!"
Spike: "You're a bleeding puppet!"

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2006, 01:19:47 PM »

Just so you guys know we have modified the banners rule slightly so you may want to go back and read above or on the news section of the actual AC site.

Thanks a lot guys!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2006, 01:22:17 PM »

Yeah, I think there's no way it should be longer than 300 pixels... and if you've got a banner that's 300 and some, you'll only have to resize it a little - it shouldn't mess it up too much.  Maybe the max length could be more like 500... then the largest a banner could be is a nice 500 x 300 rectangle, and it wouldn't take up too much of the screen - wouldn't cause scrolling in either direction, even for people with a small screen resolution.
~Julie

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5