Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Banners  (Read 16830 times)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: Banners
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2006, 04:33:29 PM »

Yeah, the .png vs. .jpg thing really makes a difference!  I saved mine as .png because sometimes the colors look sharper and clearer, but they were like 80 kb!  So I saved them as jpgs instead, and now they're under 20 LOL.  Much more practical.

Mine have ALWAYS been .jpgs. I just want to make sure they aren't super huge .jpgs. shoot I could always change them .gifs too and they would even be smaller.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2006, 04:39:34 PM »

Mine have ALWAYS been .jpgs. I just want to make sure they aren't super huge .jpgs. shoot I could always change them .gifs too and they would even be smaller.

You should be okay on the filesize then, once you resize them.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2007, 12:22:04 AM »

I always create one as a .png for myself and then if I post the image file anywhere, I use .jpg. It really does make a difference. *nod*
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2007, 12:22:27 AM »

I always create one as a .png for myself and then if I post the image file anywhere, I use .jpg. It really does make a difference. *nod*

That's a good idea. :)
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2007, 03:10:02 AM »

I've never used .png... I can't see them most times so I don't use them...
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2007, 01:58:16 PM »

I've never used .png... I can't see them most times so I don't use them...

A lot of banners were .png. They're typically a higher quality but then they're just a whole lot bigger, so I think for personal graphics .png is the way to go, but if you're trying to get it under a specific size then .jpg is better
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2007, 02:03:24 PM »

A lot of banners were .png. They're typically a higher quality but then they're just a whole lot bigger, so I think for personal graphics .png is the way to go, but if you're trying to get it under a specific size then .jpg is better

Yep, exactly.  And I had mine uploaded to my own webspace, so the filesize didn't make a difference to me - I hadn't even looked at what the filesize is LOL - but just changing it to jpg really did make a difference, and I'm sure if everyone does that, it will help the AC pages load faster for dial-up users.  I was stuck on dial-up until just this fall, so I feel their pain!! LOL
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2007, 11:30:03 PM »

I've always used .jpg or .gif... they are typically smaller.. even for myself they are that. HEH! 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2007, 10:43:29 PM »

I have one more question about the banners.... When is it that they will start being taken down if they're too large?
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2007, 10:50:24 PM »

I have one more question about the banners.... When is it that they will start being taken down if they're too large?

Hrmm, no idea lol weve had that notice up for at least a week now I believe but i'm sure we'll give everyone some more time. It looks like the banners are already shrinking which is great! It isn't taking ten years to go through the recent stories page like it normally does.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2007, 10:53:08 PM »

I've noticed a significant difference in banner sizes, so people seem to be complying. Plus, like we said before no one will have anything deleted without being notified first. So, I imagine if we happen upon one that is still oversized, we'll contact the author, then follow through. It seems like most everyone is making their banners smaller though.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2007, 10:57:27 PM »

Well...that didn't last long! lol I just went to AC and I'll be damned if almost every graphic was oversized lol

Authors will be contacted, and given the opportunity to change their graphic :)
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2007, 10:58:53 PM »

Well...that didn't last long! lol I just went to AC and I'll be damned if almost every graphic was oversized lol

Authors will be contacted, and given the opportunity to change their graphic :)

LOL! Seriously? Awww we jinxed ourselves!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2007, 11:01:49 PM »

I hope not all of them are oversized, as the very first story up now is mine. :-[

But yeah, Racch's banner, I noticed was huge, so that's why I asked, figured I ought to while the mods were about. :)
~*Dee*~

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2007, 11:07:24 PM »

I hope not all of them are oversized, as the very first story up now is mine. :-[

But yeah, Racch's banner, I noticed was huge, so that's why I asked, figured I ought to while the mods were about. :)

Nope, yours is a-ok!
~Maple Jellybean~

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5