Summer Romance by summer03
Summary:



Love was not something everyone in the 1800's could flaunt on finding. Most marriages were arranged but read along as Julia and her brother Nicholas fight for that... to love who they want. Will they succeed? ******Finally Complete******
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Group, Nick
Genres: Alternate Universe, Angst, Drama, Historical, Romance
Warnings: Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 23 Completed: Yes Word count: 27958 Read: 21978 Published: 02/03/10 Updated: 10/31/10
Story Notes:
Ok I had put this story down but here it is back up... Hope you enjoy.

1. Chapter 1 by summer03

2. Chapter 2 by summer03

3. Chapter 3 by summer03

4. Chapter 4 by summer03

5. Chapter 5 by summer03

6. Chapter 6 by summer03

7. Chapter 7 by summer03

8. Chapter 8 by summer03

9. Chapter 9 by summer03

10. Chapter 10 by summer03

11. Chapter 11 by summer03

12. Chapter 12 by summer03

13. Chapter 13 by summer03

14. Chapter 14 by summer03

15. Chapter 15 by summer03

16. Chapter 16 by summer03

17. Chapter 17 by summer03

18. Chapter 18 by summer03

19. Chapter 19 by summer03

20. Chapter 20 by summer03

21. Chapter 21 by summer03

22. Chapter 22 by summer03

23. Chapter 23 by summer03

Chapter 1 by summer03
[Spring of year 1819]

“Papa!” little Julia said as she ran to barouche that brought home her father from London.

Mr. Carter stepped out of his carriage and caught little Julia in his arms. “My sweet Julia how have you behaved? I hope you mother and governess have nothing horrid to tell me about you. I have not forgotten about your gift and happy late birthday.” He told her daughter as he gladly gave her a beautiful puppy.

“Oh father thank you so much, I will take good care of him.” she told him as she took the puppy in her hands.

“I do hope so my dear, so what will you name the poor thing?” he asked.

“I will name him, Percy. Yes Percy sounds good; I should go show it to Elizabeth and Roberta.” With that Julia left her father in search of her older sisters.

“Finally you’ve come home my dear,” Mrs. Carter said as she walked up to her husband.

“Yes and I will be here for quite sometime. Nicholas sends you the warmest of the hugs and told me to tell you he misses you.”

“Oh our poor son has not come back with you?” said a sad Mrs. Carter.

“I’m afraid not but he is in good hands with my sister in London. He will learn much from his cousins. Now come on I yearn to see the rest of my family.”

*******

[Spring of 1820]

A year older now at seventeen little Julia looked gorgeous. Being the youngest of the family she had much more liberty. She was actually a little concerned with the fact that her sister Roberta was to marry a certain Mr. Crawford from Manscourt Field.

She knew he was of good fortune and an heir of four pounds a year, yet she also knew Roberta had only met him once in a ball. Now here she about to marry him, her father of course had a lot do with such decision. She also had to worry about the grand ball that was going to take place at her home, Bayshore Court. The only thing good about the ball was the return of her brother Nicholas Carter the heir of her father’s fortune. Little did she know what was coming her way with his return?

“Miss Carter, your father is looking for you,” Lady Sudbury told the young girl that was entertained in the garden with her new best friend Percy.

“Coming Lady Sudbury,” Julia told her governess. “Come on Percy lets go see what my father wants.” She ran down the path up to the main entrance of her home, “I’m here father,” Julia answered as she entered the living room where the rest of her family already waited.

“Glad you finally joined Julia.” Mr. Carter said as he smiled at his young daughter. “Now I have gathered you all here to share with you the great news from Nicholas. He shares with us that he will arrive in an exactly three days with his cousin Howard Dorough and his close friend Sir Alexander McLean, according to Nicholas Sir Mclean has just returned from France. But that’s not all they plan to stay here till the fall, we shall give them all a warm welcome, shall we not?” Mr. Carter told his family.
Chapter 2 by summer03
Now before I continue to tell you about Julia Carter I must let you know why I know so much of such girl. My name is Lady Daniela Sudbury, I was that child’s governess and loyal companion till…well let me not get ahead of the story. I love Julia Carter like my own child, I taught her many things like decorum, mathematics, history, sewing and how to play the piano forte. She was a fast learner and she had talent, which her brother Nicholas seemed to encourage. Sir Carter was also a very talented man, he was a great artist his paintings were incredible. But of course Sir William Carter would not have such from his heir, Nicholas so he sent him to law school in London with his cousins Howard and Tom Dorough.

Sir William Carter had one sister Antoinette Carter who was married to a Sir Louis Dorough of Irish descent. Like it was apposed by their father, a man of good position and wealth, that’s why he was a suitable courtier for Lady Antoinette.

Just like her Sir William found the proper wife for him on Elizabeth Wentworth daughter of a countess. Now on the contrary to his sister though, Sir William had an advantage he was young and handsome. So Lady Elizabeth fell quite quickly in love with him and couldn’t have asked for a better suitor. Only a year after they were married and Sir William took over his father’s accounts, including Bayshore Court, Elizabeth was born. A year later Sir William was in for a bigger surprise when Nicholas was born, he now had an heir a man. Women did not get such advantages.

I am orphan and had no where to go so I worked in the orphanage that had taken me in. I was exactly twenty nine when I finally got an offer from Mr. Carter himself. He would pay me thirty pounds per year to be the governess to young Roberta and two years later when Julia came. The other governess they had had just past on, she was the one that had brought up Miss Elizabeth and Sir Nicholas.

Now I must be honest and say that Sir William is not as hard as he seems to try and portray. He definitely has a soft spot for Julia and Nicholas, he lets them get away with things that poor Roberta and Elizabeth could not. Yet he is firm once his mind is made up, so that’s why Nicholas was sent to law school at age twenty and only came to visit rarely. Finally a law school scholar he resides in London with his aunt and uncle.

Which brings me back to where I started, Mrs. Carter was in eagerness to see her son. Sir Nicholas had just turned twenty six; she had not seen him since his last visit two years earlier. Mrs. Carter was not to close to her daughters, yet her son she loved.

After that Bayshore was put into preparations for Sir Nicholas arrival and of course of the gentlemen that accompanied him.

*******

“Tomorrow Percy, my brother will arrive.” Julia told her loyal companion as she walked the path to town, Whitlock was only three miles away. Julia had made it a favorite sport of hers to walk into town and visit her only friend… Miss Angelina Singleton.

“Julia you must wait for us!!” Elizabeth screamed to Julia who was way ahead of them. “I told you we should have taken the carriage…” she complained as Roberta caught up to her.

“Oh don’t be silly sister of mine; walking does us great sometimes you know. Besides today is not a rainy day, we must enjoy the sun. Seriously Julia stop or I will tell our father and he will not let you come with us again. I will most certainly not let you stop by Angelina’s house…we will head straight to the shop for what we came for.” Roberta told her sister sternly.

“Oh fine Roberta I will wait for you two catch up, I just have so much to share with Angelina and then Percy does not like to stand around for too long.” Julia smiled to her two older sisters. Then she got sad as she realized that soon she would only walk this way with Elizabeth since Roberta would be married.

“Why Julia what has you crossed?” Roberta asked as she finally reached her sister.

“I have just realized that you will soon be married and taken to Barton with Mr. Crawford. I will not get to see you again…it just saddens me I guess.” Julia told her sister as she turned to face the down hill path, she could begin to see the cottages to the entrance of Whitlock.

“Oh my dear Julia, you know I will always write to you and expect you to do the same. Besides I will ask papa to send Elizabeth and you to visit, it’s only a few days drive in carriage.” She hugged her sister and it finally hit her. Julia was right in a few months she would be married to someone she just thought was handsome but nothing more.

******

Julia was in her study room reading Hamlet but most of all she was trying to pay attention to any noise that a carriage was approaching. She smiled as she heard the distinctive noise of horses approaching and without a care she put her book down running down the staircase.

Feeling many emotions within her she opened the door to her house almost knocking down a servant. “Nicholas is here!!” she screamed and came to a halt on the stairway in front of her home. Nicholas was her only brother that she cared so deeply for they had a special bond and she really wanted to see him. “Oh Nicholas you look even more handsome,” Julia told her brother as she ran to his arms.

“My dear sister come here. You have grown yourself, you are a beauty.” He embraced his younger sister, which now looked like a beautiful woman. His father had described her well in his letters. He smiled as he saw the rest of his family standing there to greet him. “Now Julia I want you to meet our cousin Howard and his friend Sir Alexander McLean,” Nicholas told his sister and smiled as Julia curtsied to greet them.

“Nice to finally see you cousin, aunt and uncle too. You two must be my other two cousins, Elizabeth and Roberta.” Howard asked as he greeted the rest of his family and was followed suit by his friend Alexander.

It was an eventful day full of catching up and of course a nice meal. Which followed suit with a nice piece played by Julia on the piano forte, “You have played the piano forte so wonderfully Julia it amazes me to know that you have kept your lessons up,” Nicholas told her sister as he sat beside her.

“Thank you so much Nicholas, I am happy to know you think I play well. Lady Sudbury is such a great teacher.” Julia told her brother smiling. “We have a lot of catching up to do,” she told him as she leaned her head on his shoulder.

“I know and we have to prepare for the ball, I must have the first two dances with my dear Julia.” Nicholas told her sister.

“But brother I do not know how to dance yet, will papa be fine with it?” Julia asked him with a surprised look.

“I’ll worry about that Julia you just prepare yourself for lessons starting tomorrow!” Nicholas told her sister.
Chapter 3 by summer03
The next morning just like promised Nicholas was hard at work teaching his beloved sister how to dance. “You’re doing a great job my dear Julia; it would seem you were born dancing. Are I not right cousin Howard?” Nicholas asked as he continued to dance with his sister.

“Yes indeed cousin. Julia you do it with such natural moves it amazes me to know you still had not dance till now. Does my cousin Elizabeth dance?” Howard asked his other cousin who quietly was just watching.

“I do sir but I must be honest and say I am not quite fond of it like Roberta or Nicholas. I just like to listen to the music.” Elizabeth told her cousin blushing for the sudden attention on her. Elizabeth was the eldest yet she was considered plain and too quiet. But she liked it that way and rarely cared what others thought including her mother.

“Well you must oblige to my request to have the first two dances cousin?” Howard told her.

“If you insist cousin I could not say no,” Elizabeth told him.

“Well then it’s settled, I will dance with Julia and you cousin with Elizabeth. But what about Sir Alexander? Who will he dance with, I am afraid Roberta is comprised to only dance with Mr. Crawford from Barton.” Nicholas said as he stopped dancing and joined in the conversation.

“Oh, do not worry about me Sir Nicholas; I am sure you remember that your father has invited my cousin Leighanne and her husband Sir Brian Littrell to the ball. It so happens that my dear sister Caroline is staying with them for the fall and she will most certainly let me dance with her.” Alexander said to all the questioning eyes that stared him in wonder.

“Yes indeed I do remember you mentioning that to me, where did you say Sir Littrell had his estate?” Nicholas asked him.

“Only five miles past Whitlock in Augusta, my cousin has just recently married Sir Brian. She was staying with us in London then right before our family left to France she was married. She had no other relatives after her mother and my uncle died of consumption. My mother being the only relative to my uncle took her in and I of course also inherited what my poor uncle had, not much to begin with.” Alexander explained.

“I see, well they will be just as welcomed.” Nicholas told him. “Now back to dancing my Julia.”

********

Later that afternoon while the men played cards, Julia had taken a nice walk into the woods. She just loved nature little did she know what she was in for. “You know Percy I do not know why but I have weird feeling about that certain friend of my cousins.” It had come to her habit to talk to her dog.

Sir Alexander was not into cards and since there was no other man to play billiards with him he decided on a much well needed walk. He wanted to explore the Bayshore court and its vast land. He was well into the woods when he saw Lady Julia picking wild flowers and playing with her dog. She was the most beautiful of all three sisters. She was also the only one from the sisters who did not have the golden locks instead they were dark. He became crossed when he heard her tell her dog that she did not like him. “May I ask why you feel that way about me?” he asked her as he finally approached her.

“I am sorry I do not know what you are talking about sir?” Julia told the man that stood in front of her now. “I must head back I am sure Lady Sudbury is looking for me, come along Percy.”

Alexander extended his hand to block her from leaving, “No Miss Carter you know well what I am talking about. If I recollect well you said that you had a certain weird feeling about me.” he stared at her.

Julia was a little scared by his forwardness then she saw his piercing brown eyes staring at her for an answer, “fine if you must know. I think you feel you are better than other people and I just do not believe that at all Sir. I believe everyone is equal in the world!”

“Is that your opinion of me? By just what I said earlier? Aren’t you being a little prejudice there Miss Carter?” he smiled at her as she stared at him intently trying to see what his rebuttal to her comment would be. “Well then I should elaborate more on that comment then, I love my dear cousin Leighanne and even before her parents died we had grown up with her. My mother and father had taken her in as there own child. It was not till she turned fifteen that she was sent back to her home at my aunt’s request. After that we only heard of her by letter my sister would visit her a few times. Then tragedy hit them when both her parents contracted consumption…now being that my uncle had no man to inherit what little he had I automatically got it. But never in mind did I feel like it belonged to me and I even told Leighanne she was welcome to stay at her cottage I would not take it away from her. Yet she chose to join us in London, I believe the same as you Miss Carter everyone should be treated equal to bad not all the people do not in this society.”

Her stare soften as she heard him explain more about himself, “I do not know what to say Mr. Mclean but that I apologize for my early opinion of you.” she curtsied and walked away without another word. She was appalled at herself for allowing such comment be heard by anyone else but Percy. But most of all because she had been caught by the man himself. Still as she reached the confines of her room she sighed as she remembered the slight shiver she got when he stared at her intently. His eyes were beautiful.

********

That night at the dinner table it was just Julia’s luck to be sitting in front of Sir Alexander. She could feel his stare on her and could not eat, she only moved her food around in her plate.

“So Sir Alexander how do you like the country side compare to London?” Sir William asked.

Sir William’s question brought him back from his thoughts. “I like it very much; I want to see how the ball will be also.”

“Well that’s great I hope you do enjoy your stay here.” Sir William told him as he looked around the table. He liked Sir McLean and he would make a great match for Elizabeth and he had great fortune. Maybe he would have Mrs. Carter talk about maybe getting Mr. McLean a little more interested in Elizabeth. Elizabeth could be a good wife and even though she did not have beauty like Roberta or Julia she had a great heart.

*******

As the week passed and the ball got closer Julia became even better at dancing. She also became closer to Sir McLean, he was right they had a lot in common. Romeo and Juliet being there favorite book from Shakespeare, he also loved pets and Percy seemed to like him. Of course she had also noticed her parent’s intentions to get him to marry Elizabeth.

Poor Elizabeth she didn’t seem too happy about that, she actually had caught her smiling often when she spoke to there Cousin Howard. Julia didn’t understand why but she was beginning to like her talks with Sir Alexander and any subject he spoke of with anyone always caught her attention. She did not understand just what was happening to her…yet.
Chapter 4 by summer03
It was a day before the ball and guests were arriving. Mr. Crawford was one of the first’s to arrive along with him came his best friend Sir Arthur Lucas. He was handsome and well educated that was for sure. Roberta seemed to be happy with her fathers choice for her, Mr. Crawford really was a handsome man.

Now I must say that everyone in the house was blind to what I saw. I saw love blooming in the summer; I saw it in Miss Julia’s eyes as well as Mr. McLean. I must say I was the culprit because I should have kept Miss Julia far away as possible from him. I had been already asked by Mrs. Carter herself to try and get Miss Elizabeth more interested in Mr. McLean. I just could not though; I had been raised in an orphanage where I would have loved to have found true love like I had read in many books. Now I was experiencing it in front of me.

“Mr. McLean,” Lady Sudbury yelled as she caught up to him and the rest of the gentlemen that had all decided to go hunting. “I apologize but, I was sent to let you know that Sir Littrell has arrived just a few minutes ago.” She had to catch her breath after running after them they were already halfway into the woods.

“Oh I must go greet them. You must continue without me…but I will gladly join you another time.” Mr. McLean told the rest of the party made up by…Howard, Nicholas, Mr. Crawford and his friend Sir Lucas.

“Or we can all go next time?” Nicholas said to them.

“Oh no Sir, I would not want to impose on such a good day for hunting. Please go without me,” Mr. McLean said.

“Fine we shall but, we you must join us next time…” Nicholas told him.

*******

“Oh brother how I have missed you,” Lady Caroline told Mr. McLean as they hugged. “How’s mother?”

“She is well and will soon be visiting you and cousin Leighanne in Augusta. I did tell you in my last letter she has me looking into buying the estate in Lime right by Mr. Littrell’s own estate.” He smiled to his sister and then proceeded to greet his cousin and her husband.

“It’s certainly a pleasure to see you again Alexander.” Sir Littrell said to him.

“Tomorrows ball is the talk of all Whitlock,” Leighanne added as silence took over the room.

“Yes indeed it is,” Mrs. Carter said as she walked in followed by her three daughters. “You must be Miss Caroline McLean?” she curtsied to the beautiful young lady.

“Yes that’s my beloved sister Mrs. Carter and this right here is my cousin Leighanne and her husband Sir Littrell.” Sir McLean said as he introduced his family.

“Nice to meet you,” lady Caroline said as she curtsied back at her and her daughters.

“No the pleasure is all ours right my daughters?” Mrs. Carter said as she turned to face her daughters.

“Yes it is Momma, I’m Roberta Carter,” Roberta told her and the other two that accompanied her.

Julia followed suit, “I’m Julia Carter,” she smiled as she curtsied to them. She began to blush as she the smile that crept on Mr. McLean’s face as she introduced herself.

“My dear Elizabeth please present yourself,” Mrs. Carter told Elizabeth who was still very quiet.

“Yes mother, I’m Elizabeth Carter,” she said in an almost whisper causing her mothers sigh to be heard. She knew her mother was crossed about her weak introduction to Lady Caroline. Her mother had already told her about her father’s intentions to have her marry Mr. McLean and even though he was handsome he was not what she wanted. Yet it seemed like she had no choice the only thing in her favor was the distance Mr. McLean kept from her. It was obvious he did not like what he was hearing.

“So Mr. Littrell are you from the Littrell’s from Augusta?” Mrs. Carter asked Sir Brian as they all sat down for some tea Mrs. Carter had already ordered to be brought.

“Yes indeed Mrs. Carter, Sir Thomas Littrell was my father.” He answered.

“Yes, I am acquainted with him my father used to be his earl before he passed away.” Mrs. Carter said as her eyes watered at the remembrance of her father.

*******

“How do I look Lady Sudbury?” Julia asked her governess as she twirled around in her room with her new gown. It was the most elegant gown she owned now, her father had surprised her with it.

“Like a true noblewoman Miss Julia, you will be the most beautiful lady at the ball tonight. Especially in the arms of your handsome brother Sir Nicholas.” Lady Sudbury answered as she calmed Miss Julia long enough to finish fixing her hair.

“May I come in?” Nicholas asked as he knocked on the door.

“Yes brother you may,” Julia answered as she ran into his arms. “So how do I look brother?”

“You look very beautiful Julia…Are you ready to go down? We have to be down there to greet our guest.” Nicholas said to her as he kissed her hand. “I will be the envy of the ball especially on the first two dances. I will have the most beautiful lady dancing with me,” he told his sister.

“Oh stop that Nicholas; I saw the way you stared at Lady Caroline last night.” Julia told her brother as they walked toward where the ball would take place.

Nicholas laughed heartedly at her sister’s comment, “You did? Well I am single and looking for a suitable wife sister…Lady Caroline seems to be a good choice don’t you think? She is very pretty of course no one beats your beauty…”

“Oh brother I just want you to be happy. If she will make you happy I will love her like my sister. Just promise me one thing? You will marry for love…you must.” She faced her brother as she told him this.

“Why I only plan to marry for love my sister,” Nicholas said as he smiled at her sister. “Now let’s get going.”

*******

They greeted so many people but, finally the ball had started. The first dances like promised Nicholas danced with his sister, after that he seemed to only dance with Lady Caroline. “Well you must come and visit my sister Julia sometime. She really liked you; she thinks you will be a great friend.” Nicholas told her as they danced. The truth was that he as well would love to see her more often.

“Yes Miss Julia is such a sweet girl; I might just join my brother later this summer.” Lady Caroline told Sir Nicholas. He was a very handsome man much more attractive than her brother’s friend Sir Dorough. Her brother had mentioned that he would like for her to marry Howard but he was just not what she wanted. But Mr. Carter was different his blue eyes and contagious smile made her feel butterflies in her stomach.

Julia was smiling as she saw her brother dance with Lady Caroline. She hoped Nicholas would find someone to love him as much as he would love that person back. She smiled at her friend Angelina who joined her where she sat. “Angelina do you see my brother? Does he not look handsome?”

“Yes indeed Julia he looks very handsome, nothing to what he looked years back. I must ask you Julia who is the man that ca not seem to stop staring at you? He tries to be cautious as he stares but I can definitely see it,” she pointed discreetly to Sir McLean.

“That is Sir McLean my Cousin Howard’s friend.” as she told her that she saw him walking toward them. “Don’t look to fretful Angelina but he’s coming this way.”

“Miss Carter may I have the next two dances?” Sir McLean asked Julia as he vowed to the two young ladies.

“Yes of course,” Julia answered as she blushed. She had been yearning for that moment. She was hoping that he would ask her to dance. She had watched him dance with his sister and then with her sister Elizabeth at her fathers request of course.

******

Julia curtsied as the song began to play… “This song is nice,” she began to make conversation with Sir McLean.

“Yes indeed it is Miss Julia. I bet you would play it much better on the piano forte.” He smiled at her.

She blushed as they continued to dance, “I hope I am doing well…” she told him as he turned her.

“Miss Julia you are a wonderful dancer I can assure you that. So it seems my sister has taken quite a good liking to Mr. Carter.”

“Yes it seems like so…Just like you will for my sister Elizabeth right?” Julia asked him with a hint of jealousy in her voice.

He smiled at her and then he said in a soft voice…”Miss Julia if I am to marry a Carter I will only have one choice…you. I am not interested in Miss Elizabeth in that way…its you Miss Julia that has me feeling like Romeo did for Juliet.” He stared at her sternly as the song ended.

Julia felt like she needed air, had she heard Mr. McLean correctly? She curtsied and walked away…as she walked into the garden she couldn’t help but smile. He liked her, but what would her family say? She was only seventeen, why he was much older.
Chapter 5 by summer03
It was early morn when Miss Julia snuck out of her home for a well deserved walk to clear her thoughts. “Mr. McLean…” she sighed as she thought about the talk they had had at the ball. She did not know if she was scared or happy about his confession. It was quite cool yet it did not seem to bother her at all. She walked into the luscious garden, she was a excited she was going to be able to catch the sunrise.

“Like a rose opening upon the morning dew, is your beauty…” Sir McLean whispered into Miss Julia’s ear as he walked up behind her.

“Oh my…Mr. McLean…” she whispered as she turned to face him. She felt a little weak as he stared into her eyes.

“I see we have one more thing in common Miss Julia. We like to see life rise…the sun is to rise soon. May I join you?” he asked as he kissed her hand.

“I…I must go.” Julia told him as she removed her hand from his grip.

“Please Miss Julia do not leave, I was the intruder. I will leave, but before I go I must let you know. I am leaving Bayshore Court as soon as possible. I ca not continue to pretend that I am interested in Miss Elizabeth. You have bewitched me Miss Julia, I will stay if I can get a word from you that you feel at least some sort of profound feeling for me. If not I must go and try to forget your beautiful smile.” Alexander told Julia as he inched his face close to hers.

“I…I am not ready to be involved romantically with anyone Mr. McLean. Yes it’s true we have many things in common but, I ca not profess to you that I feel the same when at this moment I feel nothing more than friendship towards you Sir.” Julia trembled as she told him that. Deep inside she felt her heart beat faster at Mr. McLean’s confession.

“Well than I think I have overstayed my presence in Bayshore. I ca not stand being here and know you have no other sentiments for me than that of a dear friend. Goodbye Miss Julia.” Alexander said as he vowed to her.

She could not say anything more; she just stood there watching him walk away. Her hand out of instinct went to her chest; something in her heart told her she had lost a great opportunity.

*******

As Mr. McLean had told Miss Julia the next morning he told everyone of his departure. His excuse was the estate he was buying in Lime; he was needed by his earl. “It has been a pleasure to meet you and your hospitable family Sir Carter.” He vowed to them all as he got into the carriage that waited for him. He looked at Miss Julia one more time a stare that could speak thousands of words about his fascination for her.

Julia watched the carriage disappear and had not heard her Cousin Howard speaking. “My friend always worrying about his fortune and his mother.” Howard repeated.

“Yes indeed a great gentleman who would have made a very great husband for Elizabeth. If only she would have tried harder to make him look at her in that manner. Let’s hope he did and he will come back to ask for you hand Elizabeth if not you will be at your brother’s mercy. You know he is the heir of this estate and you will be stuck as an old maid.” Sir William told his daughter harshly.

“It would be my pleasure to have you here with me my dear Elizabeth. If you do not want to get married you can stay with me, do not listen to papa, he is just getting old. He wants to see all of his daughters in good hands. But I can assure you father that I will care for all my sisters if they were to never marry. Bayshore is big enough for them and my wife to be…” He said as he looked at his father and hugged Elizabeth.

“Well Mr. Carter you are forgetting that I will be taking Roberta away from Bayshore. I am very much enthralled by your sister’s beauty and education. She will make me a proud husband…” Mr. Crawford told Nicholas as they all went back into the house.

“Your right Mr. Crawford Roberta is a great woman as much as my other two sisters.”

*********

Soon it was just Mr. Howard, Nicholas and the rest of his family in Bayshore. But a date had been set upon for Roberta’s wedding with Mr. Crawford. In exactly two months Roberta would be Mrs. Crawford and the preparations had begun. Of course Julia and Elizabeth would be the bridesmaids. Fall was getting closer and Nicholas departure to London soon would be here. Which meant Howard’s too.

“My dear cousin may I have a word with you?” Mr. Howard asked Elizabeth who was busying sewing.

“Yes of course, cousin…” Elizabeth said as she looked up to face her cousin.

“Will you take a walk with me?” he asked her.

“If you insist…” Elizabeth blushed as she stood up and allowed her cousin to guide to the garden.

Once in the garden he faced her, “My dear cousin my time here in Bayshore is soon to end and I could not depart without telling you that I have come very fond of our conversations and that I wish you would allow me to write to you from London.” Howard said as he locked eyes with his cousin.

“I would love to get letters from you cousin; they will definitely be very enlightening for me. I will miss you Cousin Howard,” Elizabeth told him.

“I must be honest and tell you cousin that my affections for you are more than just familial. I have come to love seeing the shine in your eyes…the calmness in the way you present yourself to others. I hope you do not think I am being to forward…but please tell me that you accept my proposal. I want you to be my wife Cousin Elizabeth.” Howard finished and kissed her hand.

“Yes, I accept…” she whispered as she smiled at him.

“Yes? You will…you have made me the happiest man alive. Oh my Elizabeth I must ask my uncle for your hand.” He hugged her and softly brushed his lips on hers.

*******

Julia was astounded to have heard of her sister Elizabeth’s unexpected proposal to Cousin Howard. She should not have been too surprised though she had seen her cousin look at Elizabeth like…Mr. McLean had seen her. “I am happy for you Eliza, I really am.”

“Oh Julia not as happy as me, I feel elated. To think I will be married to Howard in six months. That only leaves you my dear Julia? Perhaps you did not notice but Sir Lucas was quite attentive to you at the ball.” Elizabeth told her as she took a seat on the bed.

“Sir Lucas? No I could not see myself with him…he’s too egotistical for his own good. No sister, I still have not found the right husband for me. To think that father was about to marry you with Cousin Howard’s friend Mr. McLean.” Julia said and just then Mr. McLean’s words came to her head.

“Mr. McLean is very handsome but he just did not suit me. I have to admit to you sister that I love Howard he is what a gentleman should be, like we read in the books.” Elizabeth sighed as she thought about her future wedding.
Chapter 6 by summer03
Soon fall came and there stood Miss Julia dressed as a bridesmaid along with her sister Elizabeth in there estate chapel witnessing the matrimony of their sister Roberta. “She did it she pleased father,” Julia whispered to her sister who only seemed to stare at Mr. Dorough.

“But she does look happy does she not?” asked Elizabeth also in a whisper. “The only thing I dread about this wedding is that it means my brother and our cousin Howard will be leaving right after it…I am sure of it.” She gave her younger sister a sad look.

“You really do love Cousin Howard do you not?” she arched her sister her brow with a smile forming on her lips.

“Yes very much so,” Elizabeth said facing the couple at the alter again just in time to hear the priest pronounce them man and wife.

******

“I’m going to miss you brother,” Julia told Nicholas as they both took a seat. “Who will I dance with me now? Not that papa will allow me to dance or even assist to any balls now that Roberta is married and Elizabeth is engaged. Can you believe that our sister is married?” she asked him as they watched the recently married couple dance.

“I am not so sure about papa, I think he has come realize that you are a grown woman and beautiful too. Roberta looks happy that is all that matters, plus Mr. Crawford is a very good man with a great fortune just what father wants for all his daughters.” He told his sister as he sighed hard noticing who was walking up to them.

Mr. Carter, Miss Julia,” Sir Lucas vowed to them. “May I request the next two dances Miss Julia?” he gave her a smile.

“I actually I am tired and…” she did not know what excuse to say. “Yes,” she said nervously.

“Thank you,” he told her and left while the song playing finished.

She groaned and laid her head on her brother’s shoulder, “why did you not tell him I was already dancing with you?” she asked her brother.

He laughed at her sister, “I do apologize I ca not stand that man…I do not like the way he looks at you Julia.” He said staring in his direction. “But father seems to really like him.”

“I do not like him either,” she sighed as the song finished and Sir Lucas came back to her.

*******

Julia was happy to be riding her horse the next morning. When she returned she was happy to find out that her sister Roberta and her husband were now gone. Because that meant so was Sir Lucas. She was startled when she saw another barouche in front of her house, “Lady Sudbury who’s that?” she asked as she looked out the window.

“Oh, Miss Julia that is the barouche that came to pick up Mr. Dorough and Mr. Carter. They will be leaving shortly; Mr. Carter has been looking for you Miss.” Lady Sudbury said as she looked out the window.

“What do you mean? They can not leave yet,” Julia said in a sad tone. “Where’s my brother?” she asked her tears starting to form on her face.

“He’s in the garden looking for you Miss Julia.” Lady Sudbury said and smiled as she saw Miss Julia run out the room and out the door.

“Nicholas? Nicholas…Ah,” she jumped at the sudden grip around her waist. “Put me down Nicholas…” Julia told her brother laughing.

“Fine,” he told her and put her down. “Why did you not wake me up to go horse riding with you?” he asked.

“I wanted to do it alone, to think.” She told him giving him a hug. “Do not go,” she told him her tears now coming down her face.

He sighed and held her tightly to himself, “I must go Julia it is my duty.” He said as he made her look at him, “I wanted to talk to you before I parted though,” he said wiping away her tears. “I wanted to tell you that I made you a promise and now I want you do the same.” He looked at her intently and spoke… “My father came to me yesterday and gave me the horrible news that Sir Lucas has asked for your hand in marriage. I argued with my father that you were too young and that he had to allow you to meet other suitable men…but you know our father he can very stubborn. Promise me Julia that you will only marry for love, I know you well to know you like to please father. But in this you cannot…you will not be happy with him…something tells me Sir Lucas is hiding something else behind his good name. Something not so good.”

“No, Sir Lucas is a very disagreeable man Nicholas. I would never marry him; I will keep my promise as long as my father does not force me into it.” She told him crying. She sobbed and remembered at that instant the proposal from Mr. McLean, why had she not taken his proposal instead. The truth was she was very much attracted to Mr. McLean.

“Now you must not let father know that you know of his plan. I have convinced him to tell Sir Lucas to wait a year or so for you to turn nineteen. So it’s a secret engagement that only father, Sir Lucas and I know so far. Most likely mother will know soon, Julia just stay strong and by next year I might be able to finally take over that estate and then I can make sure that the wedding does not take place.” He kissed her forehead and pulled something from his pocket a beautiful locket inside was a lock of his hair and then he pulled out the scissors. He gentle took one of her locks and cut a piece, “It’s a pact my dear Julia that will be sealed with this,” he put her piece of hair inside with his and sealed it. “There now let me put it on you,” he said.

“Yes a promise,” she told him looking at the locket that now hung around her neck. “I will as long as you keep yours…” Julia tried to smile after hearing the horrible news. “I will miss you,” she told him and kissed his cheek.

“Nicholas we must head out,” Howard said as he walked into the garden finding his cousins there.

“Yes, we must to try and get to London by Friday.” He looked at Julia one more time, “Walk with me and Cousin Howard to the coach,” he told Julia as she intertwined her arm around his. “Remember our promise,” he told her as they walked back to the house.
Chapter 7 by summer03
[Spring 1821]

Julia tore through the letter and began to read:

My dear Julia,

Do I have news for you, first of all I am happy to announce that I have been seeing Miss Caroline for the past months and it seems we are getting along quite well. I am actually going to ask her hand in marriage soon, I am in love my dear Julia. I can’t seem to loose my smile at all no matter how my day goes, she makes me smile. Our sister Elizabeth could not be better here in London, Cousin Howard has her spoiled. She seems to get along quite well with our aunt. She has even told me about possibly having you come down to London, she feels like you must be very lonely in Bayshore, I agree besides I would love for you to be here with me when I ask Caroline to marry me.

On other news not a good one, I have bumped into Sir Lucas quite a few times and they have not been well taken. How dare he imply that he will soon be my brother in law! Over my dead body, just between us I have hired someone to find out more about him, I know he is hiding something. I just hope he has not told anyone else about his and father’s deal…it will not happen I can assure you that.

Well I must go my dear sister duty calls. Take care and I hope to see you here soon, Miss Caroline sends you the warmest hug and is as excited to see you come. I had to tell her about my sister’s plan.

Nicholas Carter

She could not be happier for her brother and Miss Caroline. “That means I will see Mr. McLean again,” she said to herself as she put the letter away with the many others she had from her brother.

“Julia,” Mr. Carter said as he walked into her study room.

“Yes father,” she asked as she turned to face her father. She smiled a little as she saw what he held on his hand.

“Now I know that you might feel a little lonely now that both your sisters are married and away. But this morning I received this letter from your sister Elizabeth who seems to miss you, she asks me to allow you to go spend the spring with her in London.” He told Julia as he smiled at her. “Now I have thought this through and I would not like for you to go but, if you want to I will oblige. I will miss you though but it would only be for the spring,” Mr. Carter hugged his youngest daughter.

“I want to go father,” Julia told him as she hugged her father back, at the same time wanting to confront him about Sir Lucas but she had promised Nicholas not too.

“Well then its settled you will leave day after tomorrow,” he told her letting her go, “Now I must go break the news to you mother.”

Julia watched her father leave and jumped in excitement. She was happy she was going to see Nicholas, Elizabeth, Miss Caroline and that meant she would see Mr. McLean.

**********

Julia walked out of the barouche and smiled as she saw her sister standing on the doorway. “Sister,” Julia ran to her giving her a hug.

“Welcome to our abode Cousin Julia,” Howard said as he walked to her and his now wife.

“Cousin Howard,” Julia hugged her cousin and smiled. “I love London, it is gorgeous…we must go shopping and everything imaginable.” She said with excitement.

“Well if not I will take you,” Nicholas said as he walked out of the house with a big grin on his face.

“Nicholas!” she ran to her brother. “I have missed you so much!”

“Well you are here now,” Nicholas told his sister as he messed with her hair.

“Well let’s head into the house, I have ordered some tea for us already,” Elizabeth told her family as she walked into the house followed by everyone else.

********

“I’m glad Elizabeth did not protest in me taking you out today.” Nicholas told Julia as they walked the busy streets of London. “You are becoming a beautiful woman Julia,” he smiled to her.

“Well apparently you are handsome too, if Miss Caroline is allowing you to court her,” she giggled to her brother.

“Yes…I am in love Julia. Miss Caroline is a very sophisticated and humble young lady with a great deal connections, my father will be thrilled I am sure. How is father by the way and mother of course?”

“They were quite sad to see me go but, they are good in health,” Julia told him. “So when will you take me to see Miss Caroline?”

“Soon, she has invited you, Elizabeth, Howard and me for brunch. Well actually it was Lady Denise McLean who invited us; she is quite a sweet lady. Unique actually she is always bragging about both Miss Caroline and Alexander. She is quite sad though because Mr. Alexander is again in Paris.”

“In Paris he seems to like France a lot,” Julia told her brother trying not to sound disappointed with what she had just heard.

Nicholas laughed, “Well actually Lady McLean says he interested in some young lady. Lady Victoria Pier, she says she is the handsomest lady in all Paris. I could not agree since I have not seen her and I happen to think that title belongs to Caroline and you my dear sister. So I would not be surprised if our friend Alexander comes back married to Miss Pier.”

“I guess not,” Julia said even though in heart she felt pain. It was her fault though she had declined him when he had asked her. Of course he had to have moved on, to that certain Miss Pier. Now she was not so sure she wanted to stay in London for so long…maybe now her fathers deal with Mr. Lucas sounded about right?
Chapter 8 by summer03
“Do not worry Julia, Howard and Nicholas will meet us at Lady McLean’s home,” Elizabeth told her sister as the both entered the carriage that was sent for them by Miss Caroline.

“I am not worried,” Julia lied as she pinched her cheeks one more time, she wanted to look presentable. “You do know about our brother’s interest in Miss Caroline?”

“Of course I do Julia, it has become very obvious. He does not know how to hide his feelings well, just like mother I suppose.” Elizabeth said as she smiled at her sister. “I have missed you dearly, or more like your insane questions and you silliness.”

“It has come to be very boring at Bayshore I have no one to talk to except for lady Sudbury, but she has come to be a little grumpy. Eliza, have you met Lady McLean, is she as pretty as Miss Caroline?”

“I have seen her once; I could say she must have been quite a beauty in her days. She is very elegant and very joyful, that I can say.” She looked at her sister and smiled, “Will you tell me what is bothering you my dear Julia. You seem to be a little nervous,” she gave her a worried look.

“It is nothing Elizabeth…its just I have to admit and say I am a little nervous to meet her. I mean we have to show her that our brother is worthy of her daughter.” Julia smiled in the inside knowing that would keep her sister from asking more questions it was a really good excuse.

“Oh my, your right Julia we must be in our best lady manners,” Elizabeth said as she looked at what she was wearing it looked suitable enough.

*******

“I am so glad to see you again Miss Julia we have so much to talk about,” Caroline told Julia as she showed her around her home. “This is my favorite part of the house, we have had some wonderful balls in this room,” she told Julia as she twirled around the large room. “It is also French decorated,” she told her as she pointed to the drapes that hung on the large windows.

“Maybe we should have brought Elizabeth with us,” Julia told Caroline as she touched the elegant French drapes.

“Nonsense, mother will entertain her, I wanted to talk to you alone.” Caroline told Julia as she pulled her to the next room, a huge library. “This happens to be my brother’s favorite room, he just loves to read.” She smiled as she saw the look on Julia’s face.

“It’s bigger than ours,” Julia managed to say as she began to look through the many books.

“Do you like to read Miss Julia?” Caroline asked as she grabbed a book and handed it to her.

Julia sighed as she saw the book she handed to her, “Romeo and Juliet? You like it too?”

Caroline giggled, “No it is Alexander’s favorite,” she told her as she got closer to Julia. “You know just like your brother tells you about his love interest, my brother tells me the same…Miss Julia.”

Julia almost dropped the book as she heard Caroline, she knew about Mr. McLean’s proposal in Bayshore. “I…I think that is long gone Miss Caroline, he is no very interested in Miss Pier is he not?”

“I see the rumors fly by fast…my brother can not stand that woman more than I can. They just happen to be old friends of the family nothing more. Yes it has been implied that Miss Pier has such feelings for my brother. But, my brother has been bewitched by you miss Julia. He has told me about certain rumor about you too, he has come to hear of you arranged marriage to Sir Lucas…so his trip to France was to see if you could see Miss Pier as more than a great acquaintance. He wants to forget you…but I know my brother he is a believer in love he will not…you have stolen his heart.” Caroline told her with a smile on her face. She would die before seeing Miss Pier become her sister in law that was for sure, besides Julia she liked.

*******

“Oh, do not worry Ms. Elizabeth Caroline and Julia are having the time of there life. Please sit and have some tea with me while we wait for Mr. Carter and Mr. Dorough. “Oh someone is at the door, Mary get the door will you?” she told the maid.

“That must be my husband and brother?” Elizabeth said standing up in anticipation.

“Well your wrong Miss Elizabeth,” Alexander said as he walked in with a smile on her face. “Hello mother,” he vowed to both ladies and then gave his mother a kiss on the cheek. “Wait this picture seems a little odd, someone is missing? Where’s my adorable sister Caroline?”

“She’s somewhere in the house showing some of our guests around our home.” Denise told her son, “Now come tell me how was Paris? How is Victoria?” she raised her brows toward him.

“Everything is well in Paris and so is Miss Pier, which by the way will be coming here to London soon with her mother to visit you.” Alexander told her anxious mother. “Well excuse me ladies I am going to freshen up after this long trip, I will be back down for dinner,” with that Alexander walked away leaving Elizabeth again stuck with his mother.

*******

“I think we should head down now,” Julia told Caroline as the walked toward the staircase. “I bet my brother and cousin are here by now.”

“Yes your right lets go,” Caroline agreed as they began to walk down the staircase. She stopped dead in her tracks and screamed with excitement, “Brother!” Caroline screamed as she ran down the stairs to her brother.

“Caroline!” Alexander said embracing her sister, they were so busy hugging they did not see when Julia tripped and began to tumble down the stairs. They finally realized it when he heard Julia’s scream.

“Oh my Julia!” Caroline said as she ran to her motionless body. Soon Lady Mclean and Ms. Elizabeth were there and a doctor was called.

Without any struggle Alexander picked up Julia’s frail body and began to take her to a guest room, “get the doctor quick,” he said as he with Caroline’s help put her to rest on the bed. “Nothing can happen to her…” told his sister as he caressed Julia’s face.
Chapter 9 by summer03
Julia opened her eyes and closed them quick with a sharp pain she had. Her head was pounding and all she could do is moan, “Eliza?” she managed to say.

“She’s not here,” Alexander told her as he made his way to her. “How do you feel?” he asked in a concerned tone as he took a seat on the large bed.

“What happened?” Julia asked him as she stared at him. Why was he here?

“She is eating something she has been by your side since you fell,” he told her as he gave her a weak smile. “Your brother Nicholas has been here too,” he told her remembering how much the two were; very close.

“How long have I been here?” she asked him finally adjusting her eyes so she could see him a little clearer. He was handsome, that is all she could think of as she waited for his answer.

“Three days…the doctor told us it was a harsh fall and we were lucky all you got was a concussion. As well as a dislocated shoulder, does your head hurt?” he asked her staring at her intently. She was so mesmerizing and even ill she looked lively, her natural rose lips very tempting.

“A little, but I will manage…how horrible now you think of me ungainly.” She told him as she looked at her bandaged arm, “is it back in its place?”

“I could never think of you in such way, Miss Julia,” he told her as he dared to touch her slim hand. “about your shoulder it was put back in place right after your fall, one of our servants put it back in,” he told her sympathetically.

She sighed and turned her head trying to ignore the look he gave her and feeling she got from his light touch on her hand. “I do apologize for imposing on you and your family like this; I will make sure father pays you for allowing me to be here. Do you think I can go home soon?” she asked turning back to face him.

He felt his heart stop at her comment, “You are not imposing and I do not need anything it was my pleasure to have you here. Now Miss Julia if you excuse me I will go tell Elizabeth you are awake. When the doctor comes you can ask him if you are ready to be moved.” Without another word he left her.

Julia sighed as she was left alone why had she acted so cold toward him? When deep inside she was intrigued by him…

********

“Alexander wait,” Caroline told her brother as she caught up to him. “Are you alright?”

“I am fine sister, I just remembered I have some errands to tend to in town, I will be back later now go see Julia she will be happy to see you there,” he smiled weakly to his sister. He was sure she had not believed him but at that moment he did not want to share how much his heart hurt. Why could not just forget her?

“She likes you I can feel it…just be patient.” Caroline told her brother.

“I am fine Caroline…and whether she likes me or not I will go on. So maybe Miss Pier is a good choice mother will be elated for sure,” he told her as he sighed. “I must go, I will see you later.”

“Anyone is better than Miss Pier,” she whispered as she saw him walk away.

********

“I have sent both Nicholas and Howard word about you finally being awake,” Elizabeth told her little sister. “Are you sure you are feeling better?” she asked as she touched her sister’s forehead for any signs of fever.

“Yes I am fine sister,” Julia told her sister, “can I ask you something Elizabeth?”

“Of course anything Julia,” Elizabeth answered as she took a seat next to her.

“How does it feel to be in love?” Julia asked Elizabeth as she took her sister’s hand into her good hand.

Elizabeth smiled at her sister curiously… “It is a wonderful feeling…you have this sort of feeling like butterflies live in your stomach every time you see that person, in my case Howard.” She sighed remembering the first day it had hit her that she was falling in love with Howard. “You know you can always count on me Julia.”

“I know I was just wondering that is all…” Julia said giving her a smile. “This headache is still pretty persistent though,” Julia said trying to change the conversation.

“Julia how are you feeling?” asked Nicholas as he walked into the room followed by Howard.

“Nicholas,” Julia said in surprise as her brother walked in with flowers in hand. “I am better and I am awake,” she told him as she signaled for him to come to her.

“I am glad you are better cousin Julia you had us all scared, but thank god you are alright. I am glad Nicholas opted for not notifying your father after all he wanted to wait for your response to the medicine Doctor Eyre gave you.” Howard spoke as he also walked closer to her bed.

“I am happy to see you all,” Julia said as she took the flowers her brother had brought her. “Can I talk to you alone Nicholas?” she finally asked her brother.

“Oh, I guess we should leave.” Howard told his wife as he stood beside her.

“Good idea cousin, Elizabeth you need to rest I will stay here with Julia till later today. Go on and go home take a nap or something.” Nicholas told his sister as he winked at Julia. He liked this idea because it meant he would see Caroline as well.

“Fine but make sure to keep me posted on what Doctor Eyre says when he comes to check on her later today.” Elizabeth said a little hesitant in leaving.

“I will I promise,” Nicholas told her as he and Julia watched Howard struggle to get Elizabeth to leave with him.

“I want to home,” Julia said after the coast was clear. “I do not want to be here, take me home or to Eliza’s home.” She sighed heavily as she felt her brother’s worried stare.

“Is something wrong? Are they treating badly?” he asked in concern.

“No, they are very hospitable but…I am afraid of myself Nicholas.” She told him in an almost whisper. “I do not know if I should even tell you.”

“Well that my dear sister is your choice but I do hope you know that I am here for you for anything. I trust you and I hope you trust me.” he told her wiping away the single tear that came down her cheek.

“I trust you…but, I do not know if I can say it. I think I am falling love.” She told him and looked away afraid of Nicholas reaction to her words.

Nicholas swallowed hard and thought carefully of whom she could be falling for and it hit him. Of course he had seen the way they talked when he was at Bayshore and the many times he had caught Mr. McLean stare at his sister as she played the piano forte. That look, the same stare he had when he saw Miss Caroline, “The question is does he feel the same,” he asked as he tried to not sound overprotective of her younger sister.
Chapter 10 by summer03
“Thank you,” Julia told Elizabeth as she helped her get dressed. “But I am well now sister,” she gave her older sister a smile.

“I am glad you are better,” Elizabeth told her sister as she helped her with her hair. “Now think of it this way sister after tonight’s dinner you will actually leave here with us.”

“I know that is the only reason why I am smiling,” Julia said in dishonesty…the truth was she was actually hoping to see Mr. McLean as well. Because since her horrible attitude the last time he ever went into the room she was staying in, she had not seen him. Of course Miss Caroline had told her about his sadness because of her behavior. But was she ready to admit that Mr. McLean made her feel things she had not felt before? Her brother already knew, but could she let everyone else know?

“Julia? Are you sure you are well?” Elizabeth asked her as she looked at her sister with concern.

“I am fine…just a little excited for our brother. I still cannot believe he has already asked for Caroline’s hand in marriage and that Mrs. McLean accepted.” Julia’s smile brighten at the mention of her brother…he deserved to be happy.

“I know, to think father almost hated me for not marrying Mr. McLean. But now he still gets to be related to the family thanks to his son. I am sure by now father has received the wonderful news,” Elizabeth said as she kissed her younger sister’s forehead.

“So how do I look?” Julia asked as she stood up to show off her new dress.

“It’s gorgeous… you look almost royal. The deep red accentuates you pale skin.” Elizabeth said as she looked herself over in the staring glass.

“You look beautiful yourself,” Julia told her sister just as there was a knock on the door. “Come in,” Julia said as she walked toward the door.

“Wow, you look lovely,” Nicholas told his sister as he hugged her. “You too Elizabeth,” he said as he saw his other sister.

“Yes you both do look wonderful,” Howard said walking in. “Now we must go,” he said as he kissed his wife’s hand.

*********

“Well that was a wonderful dinner was it not?” Mrs. McLean asked as her son helped her out of her chair. “Lets all go to the common room, Caroline can play us a nice song on the piano forte.”

“Yes mother I would love too,” Caroline said as she walk with Nicholas by her side. “But only if Miss Julia plays one too,” she gave Julia a smile as she said it.

“Yes Julia you must your quite good at the piano forte,” Nicholas said agreeing with his now fiancée.

She wanted to say no but she always had trouble saying no to her brother, “I have no choice do I?” she asked as she finally dared to stare at a very quiet Alexander.

“Well then it is settled…Mary please bring us some tea as well,” Ordered Mrs. McLean to her servant.

“Since you are our guest Julia you should go first…” said Caroline as she guided Julia to the very elegant piano forte.

“If you insist,” Julia said as she took a seat and sighed before she began.

Julia played like an angel on the piano forte so of course everyone was in trance as she gracefully played it, till the sudden knock that brought in two strangers to Julia and her family. “Wow that was a lovely piece I thought that was Miss Caroline playing,” said Mrs. Pier said as she walked in with a younger woman behind her.

“Oh, my Mrs. Pier please come in join us for tea. I should have remembered that Alexander had told me of your plans to come to London. Please come have a seat…I would love to present you to Mr. Carter my daughter’s soon to be husband. The lovely lady that was playing the piano forte harmoniously is his younger sister Julia. I know you remember Mr. Dorough, Alexander’s friend but, now I must present to you his lovely wife Elizabeth also Mr. Carter’s sister.” Mrs. McLean was elated to have such party of important people at her house.

“It is very nice to meet you all… right Victoria?” Mrs. Pier said as she turned to look at her daughter.

“Yes indeed mother,” she then smiled and turned to face Alexander that was sitting quietly just staring at Julia play. “How do you do Alexander?” she asked as she took a seat.

“Mrs. and Miss Pier,” Alexander said finally turning his attention to her.

Nicholas had seen the sudden change in his sister’s face. After all Miss Pier was her competition, not a good one but she was. “My dear Caroline you must play now I want to hear you play the piano forte,” he said as he gave his younger sister a weak smile.

“Yes, please do Miss Caroline I am quite fond of your playing,” Victoria said as she gave Caroline a very fake smile.

“If you insist…” Caroline said as she walked to the piano forte giving Julia a warm smile. “You were wonderful,” she told her as she took her place.

******

Miss Julia was quite happy to be out of the McLean house and at her sisters again. That night had been horrid for her and she had come to loathe Miss Pier. She hated everything about her including her French accent “I hate the French,” she sighed as she looked out the window.

“I do too,” Caroline said as she walked in.

“Caroline, I am sorry I did not know you were here.” Julia said as she turned to face her.

“Well I ca not stand being at home with Miss Pier…so I came to invite you in to town.” Caroline said as she smiled at her...
Chapter 11 by summer03
Two weeks later Julia was ready to head back home to Bayshore. Since Miss Pier’s arrival her visit to London had turned to a miserable one. Today was no exception she was stuck walking with Miss Pier and Caroline in the garden. “Yes I am thank you,” Julia answered to Caroline’s question.

“To think that soon we will be related,” Caroline told Julia giving her a smile.

“Well I believe soon we will all be connected, I have no doubts you brother feels the same way I feel for him Caroline. He is such a handsome man,” Victoria said as she joined in the conversation.

Caroline stopped smiling and looked at Julia with a look telling her not to believe Victoria, “I really have not seen such connection,” she told Victoria giving her a weak smile.

“I really think we should head back inside,” Julia said nervously as she saw the look on Victoria’s face after Caroline’s comment. “It looks like rain is coming,” she pointed to the sky which was quickly turning grey.

“I suppose your right,” Caroline said as she began to walk back to her home. The walk to the house was silent and she had not notice she had left both Julia and Victoria behind.

“Congratulations,” Julia told Victoria to break the silence that accompanied them. “I am sure Mr. McLean will make you very happy,” she told her giving her a smile.

“Thank you, it is still not official but I can feel it you know. We have known each other for quite a long time, I know Mrs. McLean agrees. I am a very suitable wife for her son; he needs someone with great contacts in society. My father has that…I really am the best wife for him.” Victoria said with excitement and was loving all the bragging she giving.

Finally they had made it to the entrance and there stood Caroline with both Mr. Carter and Mr. McLean. Julia curtsied and stood beside her brother. “I thought you were playing billiards?”

“Well I was till I realized I cannot beat Mr. Alexander, he plays really well.” Nicholas told his sister as he vowed to Miss Pier who was standing close to Mr. McLean. “I think we must head back home Julia.”

“Why so soon?” Caroline asked as she smiled at her fiancé.

“My sister will not let me take Julia out anymore if I continue to take her for long periods of time. Elizabeth likes to spend some time with her too.” He told Caroline as he kissed her hand. “I will see you soon, Mr. McLean see you later, and Miss Pier you have a nice day.” Nicholas said as he vowed to them all.

Julia curtsied and gladly took her brother’s arm, “It was nice having brunch with you all.”

“Wait I will walk you to the coach, Caroline and Miss Pier head back in before it begins to rain.” Alexander said as he walked down the stone steps to join Nicholas and Julia. “Nicholas I was meaning to ask you if you and of course Miss Julia would like join our family to Lime this weekend. We are going for sole entertainment,” Mr. McLean asked as he looked at Julia.

“Well thank you for the invitation Alexander and I will gladly accept but first we must speak to our sister Elizabeth about Julia since she is in charge of her while she is in London.” Nicholas told him as he saw the way he looked at his sister.

“Oh I have spoken to Howard and they will join us as well,” Alexander said as he gave them a conquering smile.

“Well we will definitely join your family then sir,” Nicholas said as he faced Alexander. “Oh my I forgot my hat, I will be right back. Do you mind waiting here with my sister while I go back for my hat?” Nicholas asked with a smirk on his face. Without waiting for a response he walked away.

“Do you actually think he forgot his hat? Or was it a mere excuse to see my sister?” Alexander asked Julia who was now looking at the ground. “Am I making you nervous?”

“No not at all Sir,” Julia answered as she finally looked up to him. “On the contrary Sir you are quite friendly and I love your company just as much as Miss Caroline’s.” Julia told Mr. McLean as she gave him a smile.

“Is that all you see in me Miss Julia? Friendship?” Alexander asked as he got closer to her, so close he could smell her…she smelled like roses.

Julia sighed and took a step back, “I- it does not matter sir what I feel you have Miss Pier and to my misfortune I will have Sir Lucas…” she finally had said and it felt relieving to her heart.

“Miss Pier? I have no attachments Miss Carter she is just a good friend of the family. Have I given you another impression regarding my feelings toward her? If so I do apologize and with most sincerity and confess to you that my heart belongs to you…” he said in a whisper as he closed the space between them. He picked her face with his fingers and smiled at her, “As for Mr. Lucas I do not see him at all as competition Miss Carter…I can win your father’s approval. I heard about you misfortune but according to your own brother it has not been made official to society till your older. I can talk to your father if your feelings toward me are equal.”

She felt shivers at his touch and his eyes she got lost in them, “I do feel the same Mr. McLean you have done something to me that I have only read in books.” She told him blushing a little.

Mr. McLean smiled at her and inched his head toward hers, “You do not know how much happiness your confession has made me, my dear Julia.” with that he gently brushed his lips against hers, “I hope I do not wake up all of a sudden and find out this is a dream,” he said as he stepped back a little and just in time to see Mr. Carter coming back with his hat in hand.

Julia felt weak and knew that if she moved she would fall, “Glad you found it,” she told her brother in an almost whisper. She held on to her brother’s hand for support.

“Well we will see you later Mr. McLean,” Nicholas told Alexander as he saw the look him and his sister shared. So his plan had worked and he would learn of it soon from Julia.

******

Alexander was elated and he could not seem to take away the picture of him kissing Miss Julia. “My Julia,” he whispered to himself as he took a seat in the library.

“May I come in?” Miss Pier said as she walked into the library, she knew exactly where she would find Mr. McLean.

“I was about to do some reading Victoria,” Alexander told her as he did no intentions of acknowledging her presence.

“I just wanted to tell you that I am really enjoying our visit here in London and now Lime this weekend.” She continued ignoring his wish to be left alone.

“Lime? I thought you mother said you were leaving on Thursday?” suddenly he was annoyed.

“Well yes but after learning about the beach in Lime I insisted to her that we must go. Besides being around you makes me happy, Alexander what do you want me to do so you can see how much I admire you?” she asked him as she took a seat beside him. “Is it not obvious? Why even your mother hints it to my mother…”

“I do not understand anything Victoria…I can not lie and say I am interested when I am not. I am deeply sorry if you got that impression from me. To me you are just a great friend almost sister,” he said a little more annoyed by then.

“Well I can change that really,” she told him and without warning pressed her lips on his.

Alexander pushed her off, “What are you doing Victoria? That is not proper of a young lady…now leave or I will.” He said still taken aback by her forwardness, that just did not look right on a woman.
Chapter 12 by summer03
Julia was in love with Lime, while everyone was getting settled after there arrival she had escaped now walked in the wonderful garden the inn they were staying in had. She was ready to go see the sea, maybe in a sunset.

Alexander had seen Julia walk out and after making sure his mother and sister were in there room safely he did what he had been thinking. He smiled as he saw her looking at the birds in a tree, “Why are you not getting settled?” he asked as he walked to where she stood.

“Mr. McLean,” Julia said suddenly feeling embarrassed she had not seen him since the kiss they had shared. She was still recovering from it, she still had not shared with anyone that. “I-I just thought the garden was beautiful so I had to come down and just admire it.”

He smiled as he realized that Julia was getting nervous with his presence, “Call me Alexander,” he told her as he extended his arm. “Let’s walk further into the garden then,” he gave her a smile hoping she would accept.

“I do not know if that is proper,” she said as she still took his hand and without even realizing started walking with him.

“I will not do anything to you Miss Julia,” he said as he led the way into the garden. “I meant what I told you that day Miss Julia… Please be kind to my heart and tell me you accept my offer. Marry Miss Julia.”

Julia stopped and subconsciously took her hand back from Mr. McLean’s. “I- I would love to Mr. – I mean Alexander but, I have a feeling that my father has made his mind up. I am to marry Sir Lucas my father is a very stubborn person.”

“Do you love me?” he asked as he took both her hands in his. He looked into her eyes and leaned into her face, “We can fight for us, I know I can win your father’s approval and your brother can help us.” He told her as he dared to once again kiss her soft lips smiling inside at the feeling of having her lips on his.

What was happening to her? So many things were running through her head as she allowed Mr. Mclean to kiss her. She even wrapped her arm around his neck to keep herself from falling, “Wow,” she said panting after he broke the kiss.

Alexander smiled as he caressed her cheek; he could see himself doing that again. “End this agony and allow me to ask for your hand.” He told her as he kissed her once more.

Julia closed her eyes and just kissed him back, this was ridiculous she knew but she could not stop her heart it had a will of its own. She pulled away and smiled, “I need time, maybe my brother will find something on Sir Lucas. I am just scared that I feel all this happiness and then it all comes down with my father’s rejection. I know Sir William Carter and he never backs down on his word,” she sighed finally daring to let go of his neck and take distance from him. Yet it did not work she tripped but was caught by Alexander's strong arms.

“Let me deal with that just say yes to my proposal.” he told her as he helped her stand his breath on her neck her soft neck with out realizing it he dared and touch it. “Please,” he whispered into her ear.

Julia was experiencing things she never had before and only had read about. She was shivering at his touch yet she did not run, “Yes,” she whispered as she closed her eyes enjoying his soft touch.

“Julia?” Nicholas said out loud walking into the garden. “Julia are you here?”

“I have to go but stay assured Miss Julia you have made me the happiest man alive,” Alexander said as he kiss her cheek once more and walked through another direction, he did not want to bump into Nicholas.

“Yes I’m here,” Julia said walking toward where she heard her brother’s voice.

“Are you alright?” Nicholas asked as he saw his sister.

“Yes, I think it’s just the sun.” she lied as she gave her brother a smile. “But I love Lime so far.”

“So how are you doing with Mr. McLean and his apparent courting to Miss Pier?” he asked as they both began to walk into the garden.

She stopped and stared at her brother, “I have to confess something to you,” Julia told her brother. “Alexander – I mean Mr. McLean has asked me to marry him. He told me he did not feel anything for Miss Pier.”

********

The two weeks in Lime went by fast for the most part. Even if only Nicholas, Caroline, Julia and Alexander knew about the new found relationship. Nicholas was happy to see his sister happy and not terrified with the idea of actually marrying someone worthy of her. Yet he did fear what was in the future for them, for one his father was an honorable man and he never went down on an offer. He had made a deal with Sir Lucas and he had a feeling he was going to keep it, unless Julia fought. But was Julia strong enough to fight for what she really wanted? “Well I believe I have had the best time ever,” he said as he looked at his cards.

“Yes it has,” Caroline said as she too looked preoccupied on her hand. “I believe I am winning tonight,” she gave Nicholas a smile.

“I cannot believe that tonight is our last night in Lime,” Miss Pier interrupted as she looked at the others play. “Well I am glad that after here we will be back in Paris,” she said in annoyance. Even if no one had let her into the secret she had seen Alexander’s eyes on Julia.

“Well actually Victoria we are going to ride back to London. Mrs. McLean has allowed us to extend our stay for a while longer. I must say I have fallen in love with London, maybe we can get your father to get an estate in London. Unless you find yourself a beau here my dear Victoria.” Mrs. Pier chimed as she took a sip from her tea.

“That sounds very exciting,” Victoria said smiling toward Alexander and Caroline.

“Yes it is, I have also planned some outings for you with my son and Caroline of course,” Mrs. Mclean said as she winked toward her son.

Suddenly the smile on Julia’s face disappeared she had seen the look on Mrs. McLean’s face she wanted her son to marry Miss Pier and her father wanted her to marry Sir Lucas. Maybe she should follow her father’s wishes yet she made Nicholas a promise and she could not break it. “I won,” Julia said she flashed her cards.

“Well I guess victory runs in the family,” Elizabeth said as she smiled. “It seems that in all three games we Carter’s have managed to win.”

“Well you are a Dorough now,” Howard said as he smiled to his wife.

“Are you alright?” Caroline asked Julia a little worried.

“I guess I must be tired, I am going to head to my room.” Julia curtsied and without another word walked out.

Soon everyone else followed suit, Alexander stayed behind just thinking of how he was going to explain to his mother that Miss Pier was not who he wanted to marry. She would understand but he knew she had her hopes up for him to marry Miss Pier. Julia was just as much or even more suitable for him. She was wealthy, beautiful and her family was well known.

“Alexander?” Miss Pier said as she walked in on him still in the common room of the Inn. “Are you not going to sleep tonight?”

“I was just about to actually,” he said vowing to her and began to walk out.

“Wait,” Victoria said standing in front of him. “I just wanted to thank you for such wonderful time you have given me here. I can understand why you always talk about England like you do it is a wonderful country.”

“I am glad you enjoyed yourself,” he said as he moved away from the sudden closeness between them. But to no avail Victoria again did what she wanted and kissed him. It was only a peck because he pushed her off, “Good night Victoria.” That is when he saw Julia standing in the hallway looking into the common room. He wanted to run and tell her that what she had seen was not what she thought. He was late though she was already gone…
Chapter 13 by summer03
Once back in London Julia was in for a surprise bigger than the one she had had in Lime. “Papa,” Julia said as she hugged her father.

“My dear Julia,” Sir William said as he hugged his younger daughter. “I’ve come for you, Bayshore is not quite the same with out you and Percy seems to be ill since your departure. He misses you.”

“I will be ready when you are father,” Julia said without another word after seeing Mr. McLean and Miss Pier she did not care to stay longer in London.

“I also have a surprise for you; Sir Lucas has come with me in this journey.” Sir William began as he looked at his daughter and ignoring his sons sudden glare.

“Father may I have a word with you first,” Nicholas interrupted before his fathered continued. “It’s urgent sir,” he said desperately.

Sir William sighed heavily and obliged, “Fine as you please,” he said anger showing in his tone of voice. “Let us be Julia,” he ordered to his daughter.

******

Julia wiped her tears as she heard her brother storm out of the library where he had been with her father, “Nicholas it is fine,” she told him as she gave her brother a weak smile.

“No it is not Julia; he needs to let you choose. You want Mr. McLean and he should agree with your choice,” Nicholas said with anger in his voice.

“No I do not want Mr. McLean,” Julia said as she looked down at the floor. “I cannot love someone who has feelings for another woman,” she said sadness clear in her voice. With that she took the locket off her neck and handed it to her brother, “I can’t keep that promise anymore, I will do as father wishes.”

“No you cannot do that Julia,” Nicholas said as he made Julia look at him. “What are you talking about? Why do you not want to marry Mr. McLean anymore?”

She sighed and closed her eyes as she told her brother, “I walked in as he and Miss Pier shared a very romantic moment. It is apparent he does have feelings for Miss Pier and I am no one to separate them. It is also very clear that Mrs. McLean wishes for that marriage to take place. Maybe Sir Lucas is suitable for me,” she told him as she walked into the library where her father waited for her.

********

“I do not know what to do sister that is why I have come to you for help, Julia trusts you,” Alexander told his sister Caroline as they both sat in the library.

“Tomorrow night when they come to our ball, I will talk to her.” Caroline told her brother seeing how crossed he was about Miss Pier’s insinuations toward him.

“I hope it works. I do not want to loose her…” Alexander sighed as he closed his eyes remembering the kisses he shared with Julia in Lime.

“What will you do about Miss Pier?” Caroline asked as she stared at her brother with a curios look.

“I have a plan for her to meet Mr. Littrell’s second cousin Sir Kevin Richardson who will be coming with them to the ball. I have a feeling she will get along quite well with Sir Richardson,” he sighed hoping she did.

“Was he not engaged once but lost his wife to be to consumption?” Caroline asked as she smiled at her brother’s plan.

“Yes, he has been so alone since then. That’s why our cousin Leighanne said he was coming with them so he can try to court a suitable lady again.”

“Poor fellow,” she said suddenly feeling sad for him. “I can not imagine loosing Nicholas, I would die myself.”

********

“Are you sure you can handle being at the ball? We can say you are ill,” Nicholas told his sister as he walked with her down to the coach that waited for them.

“I am fine; this ball is in honor of you and Caroline I have to be there.” Julia said as she was helped inside the coach where her father already sat.

“You look gorgeous my Julia, Sir Lucas will be the envy tonight.” He smiled at his daughter.

“No father Nicholas will be, Miss Caroline is a very gorgeous young lady.” Julia said smiling to his brother.

“Yes indeed she is and she has found a very great lad herself. I am proud in your choice son,” he remarked even though he knew his son was not speaking to him since the conversation about Sir Lucas.

“I wish you would allow all your of your children to choose,” Nicholas said in a blunt tone.

*******

Julia walked in hand of her father and they were greeted by Sir Lucas in the entrance, “Sir Lucas it is nice to see you again,” Sir William said as he vowed.

“Miss Julia,” Sir Lucas vowed to his now official fiancée. “You look like an angel fallen from heaven,” he extended his arm to her.

Julia curtsied to Sir Lucas and hesitantly wrapped her arm around his. “Thank you,” she said as she turned around trying to spot her brother. But he was no where to be seen, he had told her if she was to do as there father wished he would not be around to see it.

“I hope you have not forgotten how to dance Miss Julia,” Sir Lucas told her as they walked into the ballroom already full with guests.

It was not long before Julia spotted Mr. McLean and without much care put on the best smile on her face. She even held tighter to Sir Lucas, “I would be honored to dance with you Sir Lucas,” she told him.

“Miss Julia you look spectacular,” Mrs. McLean said as she came upon her, her father and Sir Lucas.

Julia curtsied to her and then she spoke, “Mrs. McLean this is my father Sir William Carter and this is Sir Lucas,” she said.

“Her fiancé,” Sir Lucas finished for her.

“What? I did not know you were engaged Miss Carter,” Mrs. McLean said in a surprised tone.

“Well that is because she just got engaged Last night,” Sir William said as he vowed to her. “It is a pleasure to finally meet you.”

“Same here now that we will be family I hope to see more of you Sir William. Is Mrs. Carter in London as well?”

“I am afraid not but she sends her love, she is very excited about the wedding. She has begun to make changes at Bayshore for the wedding,” Sir William told her.

“I can not wait to see Bayshore both my son and daughter say it is a gorgeous place.” Mrs. McLean said.

*******

“May I have a word with you,” Nicholas asked Mr. McLean as he reached him.

“Why of course,” Mr. McLean said as he finally caught a glimpse of Julia and suddenly he felt his heart drop. She was in hand of Sir Lucas.

“In the library please,” Nicholas said.
Chapter 14 by summer03
Once outside in the garden, “How dare you dishonor my sister?” Nicholas asked Mr. McLean anger apparent in the way he stared at him.

“I have done no such thing,” Alexander told Nicholas as he stared at him straight in the eyes.

Nicholas inhaled as he controlled his anger after all he was going to be his brother in law either way. “I do not know if you may know this or not but my sister confides in me and she told me of your indiscretion with Miss Pier. I believe you had told her you had no attachment with Miss Pier but your actions in Lime showed the contrary.”

“That is correct Miss Pier is nothing to me, I did not lie to Julia.” Alexander told Nicholas raising his voice a little.

“Well I hate to be the one to give you the news your opportunity with my sister is lost. She has accepted Sir Lucas’s proposal and are to be married in a few months. It is apparent you do not deserve my sister… she does not want to see you again. She leaves back to Bayshore tomorrow. I hope you keep your distance from her,” Nicholas said coldly ignoring the sudden face of surprise in Alexander’s face.

“She cannot marry Sir Lucas,” He told Nicholas as he felt his lungs asking for more air. “She does not love him, she loves me.”

“No she loved you, you shattered her heart. Now I ask you to let her be and move on.” Nicholas told him anger apparent still in his tone.

“Nicholas you must help me, I love Julia. That night in Lime was a mistake that had nothing to do with me. I have been clear with Miss Pier about my feelings,” Alexander told him hoping that Nicholas would tell him that Julia was indeed not engaged with Sir Lucas.

“I cannot do more, she has made her choice. I just hope this does not jeopardize our friendship I am engaged to marry Caroline.” Nicholas said finally realizing that maybe Mr. McLean was being sincere and did have profound feelings for his sister. “I have no say in this anymore Alexander…Julia has agreed to the engagement to Sir Lucas. I hope that in time you can move on just like she will.” With that Nicholas left him and went back into the ballroom smiling as he saw Caroline.

********

Alexander had been in a horrible mood after he had learned about Julia’s engagement to Sir Lucas. “I cannot allow her to do this,” he told himself as he watched her dance with the retched man.

“May I ask why the long face Alexander?” Miss Pier asked she looked toward the direction Alexander was staring to. “Do they not make a handsome couple?”

“I have no intentions of denying that I am crossed about Miss Julia’s sudden engagement to Sir Lucas… But I also have no intentions in sharing with you my reasons, now if you will excuse me.” Alexander told Miss Pier as he vowed and walked away. “May I have a word you with sister?” he told Caroline as he walked to her who was very busy talking to his soon to be father in law.

“Sir Carter I believe you remember my brother?” Caroline asked Mr. Carter as she turned to face her brother.

“Mr. McLean how do you do?” Mr. Carter asked him as he greeted him.

“I am well Sir. I hope you are enjoying your stay in London I would like to invite you tomorrow to play some billiards?” Alexander knew he would decline but he was trying to be polite.

“I will have to decline you see I head back to Bayshore tomorrow. I just came for Julia,” he told Mr. McLean. He smiled as just then Sir Lucas and Julia walked to them.

“I very much enjoyed the dance Sir Lucas,” Julia told him smiling at her now fiancé. She had done it on purpose knowing that Alexander was there.

“Sir Lucas you do remember Mr. McLean?” Mr. Carter spoke up bringing Julia’s attention as Sir Lucas.

“Yes indeed I do Sir, how do you do?” Sir Lucas asked him.

“Not as well as you good Sir, congratulations I have heard about your engagement to Miss Julia,” Alexander said as he stared at Julia vowing at her. “Nicholas has shared the good news with me already; I do wish you both happiness.”

“Thank you Mr. McLean, I actually am the one to be happy with my father’s good choice for me. Sir Lucas is quite a gentleman and I cannot wait to be married to him.” Julia told him as anger was felt with every word she spoke.

“Julia please have this dance with me,” Nicholas asked her sister seeing what was unwrapping in front of his father. “Sir Lucas I hope you do not mind,” he told him as he took his sister’s arm.

“Of course not go ahead.” Sir Lucas said as he smiled back at his bride to be.

******

Nicholas watched as Caroline and Alexander left his father and Sir Lucas, “What were you thinking displaying yourself like that?” he asked his sister as he turned her.

“I thought you were not talking to me,” Julia asked her brother giving him a grin. “I do apologize I am glad you have asked me to dance. I do not think I can dance one more piece with Sir Lucas…I wanted Alexander to hurt like I am hurting.”

“My dear Julia you cannot do that, I am very annoyed with your sudden impulse to accept father’s choice of a husband for you. He is not for you and I will now make sure to prove that to you…Now about Alexander he loves you Julia. I have a feeling that Miss Pier is the one to blame for whatever you witnessed in Lime. When I told him of your engagement I felt for him. Do not let love slip away Julia.” Nicholas told his sister just as the song ended. “Now go join your party, I am going to find Caroline.”

“Oh excuse me,” Miss Pier told Nicholas as he caught her before she fell. “I did not see you coming,” she gave him a smile. He was very handsome indeed and it would be nice to take him away from Caroline. She knew Caroline hated her just as much as she hated her. “Where is Caroline? If you were my fiancé I would not leave your side Mr. Carter.”

“Miss Pier I have no worries about my fiancée’s whereabouts and do not worry once she is my wife she will not be apart from me for a mere second, now please excuse me.” Nicholas told her giving her a half smile.

*******

“Miss Pier?” Leighanne said as she faced her.

“Leighanne, how do you do?” Miss Pier asked her friend she had met her before. She knew she was Caroline’s cousin.

“I am fine I am a married woman now,” she told her as she hugged her. “Come on I will present you to my husband and his cousin.”

“Sure congratulations on your marriage. Is he handsome?” Miss Pier asked as she walked by her side.

“Yes and he is very caring,” Leighanne told her. “Have you seen my cousins? I have only seen my aunt.”

“I have no idea Leighanne where they would be. I saw them both walk toward the library.” Miss Pier said as she saw a very handsome man with the most beautiful green eyes staring toward her and Leighanne.

********

Alexander watched as his sister walked away in hands of Nicholas. He was glad she was happy at least; he walked out and was again in the garden. Maybe he should also hire someone to see if he could find something on Sir Lucas. There was something about that man he did not like and he did not deserve Miss Julia. He was brought back from his thoughts when he felt foots steps nearing; he hid in a tall bush wanting to be alone.

“I cannot wait to be back at Bayshore and see my Percy.” Julia said out loud as she walked into the garden. She had sneaked away from Sir Lucas and his father, “I have so much to think about and I have a wedding to plan that I do not even want. But, I cannot take my word back,” she sighed as she walked more into the garden. She took a deep breath, suddenly she needed it.

“Yes you can,” Alexander said finally coming out from where he hid. He was glad it had been Julia who was now in the garden too. “We need to talk,” he told her walking toward her.

“Mr. McLean,” Julia said a little startled. “We have nothing to talk about sir, I must head back inside my fiancé is waiting for me,” she told him trying to get past him. It was no use his arm stopped her, “I will scream,” she told him as she stared into his eyes.

“No you will not,” he told her as he once again was in front of her. “I need you to know that I have no attachments with Miss Pier and that night in Lime she was the one that kissed me. I know you think I do have sentiments for her but I do not, I swear to you my heart only belongs to you,” he told her his face only inches from her face.

Julia closed her eyes and took a minute to answer, “I am afraid it is too late, I am engaged. Its better if you do marry her it would please your mother too,” she told him finally staring at him again. She brushed her lips on his and she saw his eyes close, “I sorry I must go,” she pulled herself away and ran before he could react.
Chapter 15 by summer03
I am sure by now you are thinking the worst. That Julia has given up on Mr. McLean and will now be married to Sir Lucas. But I hate to disappoint you there, it turns out that Nicholas was right; Sir Lucas had a terrible past. Nicholas did not waste time in going to Bayshore and showing the proofs to his father. Of course what he did not know was that someone was already working on that same thing....

It had been exactly a month since Julia had returned to Bayshore. Most of her time was spent reading books and long walks to town. Sometimes she just walked into the forest, she loved nature. She was sad though and even if she did not show it she missed London or more like she missed Mr. McLean. Some how she felt like she had misjudged him and now she was stuck with Sir Lucas, she was a Carter and the Carter’s never went back on there word.

“Angelina there is a young man asking for you,” Miss Singleton said to her daughter with a quizzical brow. “He said his name was Alexander McLean.”

Angelina looked at her mother puzzled, “Mr. McLean?”

“Yes do I need to know anything Angelina?” she asked her daughter.

“No mother I met him at the Carter’s ball a while back, he is a good friend of Nicholas,” Angelina responded. “I will just see what he wants.”

Alexander nervous but he did not know of another way to see Julia, “Miss Singleton,” he vowed as he saw her at the door.

Angelina curtsied and asked him to come in, “How can I help you sir?”

“Well,” Alexander said making sure no one could hear his conversation with Miss Singleton. “I know you are a good friend of Miss Carter and for that reason I know you are the only who can help me,” he told her.

“How can I possibly help you sir?” Angelina asked him very intrigued. To her knowledge Julia was engaged to Sir Lucas and she knew nothing about Mr. McLean.

*********

Julia closed her eyes as she played the piano forte and was startled when she heard Angelina’s voice. “Mrs. Carter, Julia” Angelina said as she curtsied. “I do apologize for interrupting you,” she told Julia as she gave her a smile.

“Miss Singleton it is nice to see you, please join us.” Mrs. Carter said as she poured tea for Angelina.

“Well actually Mrs. Carter I wanted to invite Julia to walk with me into town. I want to buy a dress for Mr. Carter’s wedding and I want her opinion on it. I am having it costumed made for me.”

Julia saw the urgent look in Angelina’s face she also spoke, “I would love to accompany you may I mother?”

“Well I suppose you can just be back in time for dinner,” She told her daughter who was already walking away with her friend.

*********

“This is not the way into town,” Julia told Angelina as she continued to follow her.

“Of course I know that Julia,” Angelina said as she stopped walking and turned to face her friend. “Why did you not tell me about Mr. McLean?”

Julia’s heart jumped as she heard his name, “What are you talking about?” she asked knowing well what she was talking about but wondering how Angelina had found out.

“Well today I got this strange visitor and he told me about his feelings towards you. He told me everything,” Angelina told her friend excited.

“What are you talking about what visitor?” Julia asked her friend suddenly feeling the urge to run back to her home. She turned to walk away but instead she crashed into him… “Alexander?”

“Me, she is talking about me,” he told Julia as he wrapped his arms around her. He smiled at her and spoke again, “I had to talk to you but I did not want to just show up at your home unannounced especially when Nicholas may show up soon as well.”

“There is nothing to talk about sir,” Julia said as she pulled herself away.

“Pleas my Julia just listen to what I have to say,” he stared at her begging at her with his eyes.

“I am going to go pick up some wild flowers just over there,” Angelina said as she began to back away giving them the privacy they needed.

“After you left London I hired a good friend of mine to investigate Sir Lucas and a week later he came to me with the disturbing news that Sir Lucas was engaged to a young lady in Bath. He had his way with her and left her with child, he never honored his intentions with her. He has since then not been seen by her or her family.” Alexander told Julia before she could speak again.

Julia just stared at him trying to comprehend what she was hearing. “What? He has a child?”

“Yes, when I learned about this I was sure to sent my findings to your brother. I have learned from my sister he is on his way here to tell your father. But I needed you to know and I want you to know that I will ask for hand in marriage. You cannot marry anyone else but me,” he told her taking her lips with his.

Julia did not fight him and instead kissed him back. “I do not have to marry him?” she asked smiling at him.

“No,” he told her caressing her cheek. “We can be together,” he told her.

“What about Miss Pier?” she asked him as she left his embrace.

“I guess you have not heard of her engagement to Sir Richardson.” He said smiling at her and then he spoke again, "She has found love with Sir Richardson and are to be married soon."

******

Julia was anxious to see her brother; she was the only one to know about him coming to Bayshore. She was excited that soon not only would she be free of Sir Lucas but she was also going to be engaged to Alexander nothing could go wrong. “He is here,” she said as she heard a carriage approaching. She knew better than to run she was to be surprised.

“Miss Julia you are needed downstairs,” Ms. Sudbury said as she walked in to her room. “You won’t guess who is here,” she said with excitement. “Your brother,” she told Julia.

Julia took that as a hint and jumped up running down the stairs. “Nicholas,” she said as she saw him hugging their mother.

“Julia,” he said giving her sister a grin. “I have missed you,” he said going to hug her.

“Well Nicholas why do we have the honor of your visit at Bayshore,” Mr. Carter said entering the room. “I hope you still have a fiancée,” he said.

“Yes sir the wedding is still taking place, I actually am here to speak to you and Julia.” he said.

“Well it must be important if you had to come all the way from London to tell us, lets go to the library.” Mr. Carter said.

********

Julia watched as her father and Nicholas left on a coach toward Barton where Sir Lucas was staying with Mr. Crawford and her sister Roberta. She was happy yet worried as she saw the look on her father’s face it was not a happy one.

But Sir Lucas deserved it after dishonoring her and the young lady in Bath. She still did not understand why Sir Lucas was like that and she did not care either now all she had to think about is Alexander and his soon visit to Bayshore to ask for her hand in marriage. She wondered how he was doing at Augusta with his cousin. He had left to Augusta after there encounter, he had promised to return for the sole purpose of asking for her hand in marriage. “I cannot wait for you to be here again,” she whispered as she thought of him.
Chapter 16 by summer03
Dear Julia,

By the time you receive this letter I will be on my way to Bayshore alone. Father has left with my husband to Bath. They have forced Sir Lucas to go and marry the poor girl. I cannot believe he has such heart. I am glad that Nicholas did not trust him and did what he did. I shall arrive by Friday… In time to help mother with Nicholas’s wedding, I am so happy for Nicholas as well. In exactly three weeks he will have a wife. I must go but I cannot wait to see you again.

Roberta Crawford.

Julia smiled at the realization that soon her sister would at Bayshore. She was startled when Angelina walked in with a rush, “Julia may I have a word with you?” Angelina told her as she finally stopped to catch her breath.

“Of course come let’s go into my study room,” Julia told Angelina looking at her with curiosity.

Once in the room Angelina handed her a letter, “here read it its from Mr. McLean,” she told her giving her a smile. “He sure makes you smile Julia,” Angelina told her as she watched her read the letter.

“He won’t come till the wedding; he got caught up in business.” Julia told Angelina with a sad tone. “I guess I shall not worry that is only three weeks away.”

***********

Just like Roberta had said in her letter she arrived a day later, “Julia you look lovely,” Roberta said hugging her younger sister. “You have gotten prettier and you seem to look different in some way…” Roberta said eyeing her sister. “My dear Julia you are in love!”

Julia felt like running as she heard her sister, “No I am not,” she said stuttering.

“Awe poor Julia I do apologize I know how painful it must be since Sir Lucas will no longer marry you. He was quite handsome,” Roberta told her sister.

“I do not nor did I ever have such feelings for Sir Lucas. I always thought he was impudent and awkward.” Julia said anger evident in her voice.

“My Julia why so disgusted by a mere comment of mine? Well if it is not Sir Lucas…someone else has taken your heart.” She eyed her sister and went around her analyzing her.

“I do not know what you are talking about,” Julia said nervously as her sister got a closer look at her.

Roberta chuckled at her sister’s sudden nervousness, “Julia you must know that I will not judge or tell on you. I am actually glad you found love, now are you going to share with me who the fortunate man is?”

********

It had been two days since Roberta’s arrival and Julia had been avoiding her as much as possible. “How dare she insist on me to tell her who I am in love with? What does she know?” she told Percy her fellow companion. She stopped in her tracks when she saw the coach that had just arrived at Bayshore. “Who could that be Percy?” she asked not recognizing it from anyone she knew.

“Lady Julia you are needed back in the house,” one of the servants told her as she reached her in the garden. “Your family from Sussex has arrived.”

“Thank you Louisa,” Julia said heading toward her house. She arrived as her mother was greeting the guest.

“Oh great Julia come meet my sister Isabel Wisely and her son Henry Wisely.” Mrs. Carter told Julia as she curtsied to her sister and nephew.

“Nice to meet you I am Julia,” Julia curtsied and smiled to her aunt.

“Pleasure is all mine Cousin,” Henry said vowing to her and reaching to kiss her hand.

Julia was lost in his blue eyes; she could not deny it she had to admit that her cousin was handsome indeed.

“Well come on in and get settled sister,” Mrs. Carter said smiling at the way her nephew looked at Julia. “Julia show your cousin around the estate, I am sure he will love to see how wonderful Bayshore is.”

Julia cleared her throat and nodded at her mother’s orders, “Mother he might be tired from the trip,” she said smiling at her cousin.

“Well actually I would not mind a little fresh air, a good walk around Bayshore will do.” Henry told her cousin as he extended his arm to take her hand in his.

**********

“Cousin Henry is handsome is he not?” Roberta told Julia as they walked toward the dinning room.

“Roberta please stop you are a married woman,” Julia told her sister a little annoyed by her comments lately.

“I may be married my dear sister but I still have eyes and our cousin is a very agreeable man. Very handsome and I happened to see the way he was looking at you.” Roberta told her sister giving her a slight smile.

“You have to much free time in your hands Roberta, I thought you were here to help with the wedding arrangements. Not to try and find something on me.” Julia told her.

“You do have a courtier Julia…Please tell me who?” Roberta said anxious to get some sort of conformation from her sister.

Julia sighed and gave her sister a small smirk, “I was going to tell you but you are not making it easy dear sister, so until I see suitable for me to share that information you will have to guess.” Julia told her leaving her and finally entering the dinning room to join her mother and the newly arrived family. Her question was why they had arrived so early if the wedding was not till three weeks.

********

As the wedding preparations continued in Bayshore so did the new friendship between Henry and Julia. Julia actually became quite fond of there friendship, he had lot of knowledge. He was very well versed and he liked to take long walks like she did. But she could never feel more than friendship toward her cousin… Mr. McLean still had her heart.
End Notes:
ok here are a few more chapters... soon I will have all that I have written back up... please let me know what you think...
Chapter 17 by summer03
“Just do it,” Henry ordered Julia who hesitated. “It will not hurt Julia trust me I will catch you…” he smiled at his cousin.

“Fine I will jump,” Julia said with eager eyes staring down at her cousin. They were deep into the forest exploring it. She closed her eyes and jumped off the huge rock. But then she felt Henry’s strong arms catch her and she finally breathed. “It was actually very fascinating.”

“I told you so cousin,” Henry said smiling at her as he put her down. “Now let’s go that way see if we can see any worth talking about. “I want to see if I can find any plants with medicinal purposes.”

Julia followed her cousin with admiration, “Henry could I ask you something?” Julia said breaking the silence.

“Of course cousin I will try to answer it the best I can,” Henry said stopping to smile at her.

“How does it feel to be getting education on Medicine? Is it as interesting as you make it seem everyday when we come out here?” She asked him with eagerness. “I wish I could get such education.”

“It is a very great experience Julia the things you learn…I love it. Now we all know women do not have such capacity to learn like we men do. Stick to the piano forte and whatever else you do.” Henry told Julia as her as they began to walk again.

Julia felt offended by his comment she was just as much capable as he was to learn, “I want to go home,” she told him abruptly. “I know the way on my own,” she curtsied and without another word began to walk the opposite way.

“Julia…cousin please stop,” Henry said finally walking after her. He had a smirk on his face the more he knew about her the more she intrigued him. He liked her and more than just as family.

*******

“Not now Percy,” Julia screamed at her dog that only wanted some of her affection.

“What can possibly be bothering you so much that you are griping at you dog?” Roberta asked her sister that seemed more worried in picking out a book.

“I will show Henry that women are smarter than any man I know.” Julia said still rooming the shelves of books in her library.

“I assume you are crossed about something? What did our cousin say that has made you so upset Julia,” Roberta asked as she stopped her sister and made her look at her.

“I like Henry but I detest his lack of propriety for women! How dare of him to call us morons! I will show him though!” Julia said with anger still in her eyes.

“Julia you are fast I couldn’t catch up to you…may I have a word with you?” Henry asked as he pretended to catch his breath. “Cousin Roberta my apologies how are you this fine morning?” He bowed toward Roberta.

“Cousin Henry it has been one busy morning wedding arrangements are very complex especially when mother wants Nicholas wedding to be extraordinary. No budget is too much for her, I should go and see if she still needs me,” Roberta squeezed her sister’s hand and curtsied to her cousin on the way out.

“Julia?” Henry asked cautiously as he approached her. “Did I do something that has offended you?” He asked with a smirk on his face.

“No of course not Henry,” Julia said rolling her eyes at him.

“It does not seem like that,” Henry said his smirk still on his face.

“Did you not notice my sarcasm Henry? I have to tell you that your caprice gets me all crossed and for an instance I want to hate you. You seem so well versed yet you cannot accept that women have enough or even more knowledge than what we are allowed to show.” She was practically screaming at him at that point.

“I only say the truth, women I do have to say are beautiful creatures but I have yet to see one that can like you say show me they have the capacity to be like us men,” he said his smirk wider now.

“I must ask you to leave for the fear of me loosing any fondness I have for you as my relative and I disagree with your opinion cousin. I just do not have the patience to present my case to you with such arrogance that you carry…good day.” Julia curtsied and walked away before her cousin could say anything else.

Henry was even more impressed with his cousin. Could she possibly be the right woman for him? She seemed well grounded and even mad she looked stunning. He still stood to his comment about women being inferior to men but this woman Julia Carter his cousin was something new. His feelings for her were becoming very clear now.

**********

Julia was doing quite well in ignoring her egotistical cousin since there last encounter, she was in her room reading when she heard carriage approaching. With eagerness she looked out of her window to spot Mr. Crawford’s Barouche approach and an eager Roberta waiting at the entrance. “Nicholas,” she said realizing then that this meant her father and brother were back as well. She ran down the flight of stairs trying to not have another incident like back in London.

“Roberta sister,” Nicholas said hugging her sister. He let go of Roberta as soon as he spotted his younger sister running out the front door.

“Nicholas,” Julia screamed as she ran to him embracing him. “I am glad you are back mother has us going crazy with your wedding.”

“Well do not worry my dear Julia I did receive a letter from Mrs. McLean and they will arrive very soon actually. How are you?” Nicholas asked concern read on his eyes.

“Yes how are you my dear Julia?” Sir Carter said s he approached both his daughter and son.

“I am fine I could not be better if I had a choice,” Julia said hugging her father as well.

“That is good to hear,” Mr. Crawford said as he joined in with Robert in hand beside him. “Julia I want to apologize for what has happened if I would have not brought Sir Lucas with me you would have not…” he paused as he saw Julia’s face.

“No Mr. Crawford this is no one’s fault so stop apologizing I am fine and we have a wedding to worry about. Now come on lets go in I am sure we have tea ready. Papa mother’s sister Isabel Wisely is here with her son Henry Wisely, they are here for the wedding,” Julia said as she began to walk back into the house. She groaned as she bumped into the person she least wanted to see at that moment, “Henry…” she commented as she turned to make a face her brother was to see.

“Henry yes this is my husband Mr. Crawford, papa and Nicholas our brother,” Roberta chimed in.

“Nice to meet you all,” Henry bowed to the three gentlemen.

“You must be Isabel’s son,” Mr. Carter said eying the young man in front of him. “Come with me we have a lot of catching up to do, I will be in my study with Henry.”

Julia watched her father walk away with her cousin and felt a little jealous but nothing she could not get over with. “Nicholas we need to talk,” Julia told her brother.

“Of course how about I go find mother first and I will meet you in the library?” Nicholas asked hugging his sister one more time.

*********

“Julia?” Nicholas asked after he walked into the library.

“Yes I am here,” Julia said climbing down the stairway they used to get the books on the upper shelves.

“What is it?” he asked in a concerned tone.

“I have to confess something to you,” Julia said biting her bottom lip.

“Well do not make me nervous by not telling me…” Nicholas said staring at her sister.

“Well… Alexander was the one to find out about Sir Lucas and he was the one to send you the evidence. He came to look for me right after he found out about it and has asked me to marry him…I accepted. He is going to ask papa for my hand in marriage after your wedding.” Julia finally breathed.

Nicholas mulled it all in silence staring at his sister. He lips curled into a mischievous smile, “I knew you would come to your sense as much as I want to hate Alexander I cannot he seems to be honest about what he feels for you. I am happy for you Julia,” he said hugging her. “Now let’s hope father accepts,” he sighed.

“He should I mean Alexander is a great gentlemen with class and money.” Julia said with worry in her voice.

“True,” Nick agreed and then he sighed. “Can I ask you something Julia?”

“Our cousin Henry… the way he stared at you is there something I should know?” Nicholas asked.
Chapter 18 by summer03
“Just listen my dear,” he said taking her hand in his. “Your cousin Henry is quite a gentleman, I have learned that he has come to have a special preference for you. He actually came to me and has asked my permission to court you. I say this because I will not force you to it, but I do feel like I should persuade you to accept him.” he said in stern voice.

“I do not see Henry like that father,” Julia said pulling her hand away from his. “I will not let him court me,” she stood up and curtsied leaving her father before he could say anything more. Tears falling down her eyes as she ran out of her house not caring the horrid weather that hit her as she began to run.

“Julia?” Nicholas asked as she ran past him out the door. “Julia wait,” he said running after her.

“No!” Julia answered to him. “Nicholas go back in you cannot get ill when you are to wed soon. “I will be fine,” she said stopping in her tracks. Her clothes were already soaked.

*******

Julia felt the effects of her walk the day before, “Lady Sudbury?” she groaned not wanting to get out of her warm bed.

“Miss Julia you look ill,” Lady Sudbury said running to her side. She felt her forehead and shook her head in disappointment. “You have fever, I’ll go get some water and call for a doctor.”

“Please do not get a doctor just bring me a tea I will be fine,” Julia begged her.

“Miss Julia I must you do not look well,” She answered looking at her curiously.

“Please,” she said in a desperate tone as she forced herself off the bed. “I am fine,” she said getting the dress Lady Sudbury had set for her to wear. She knew today was the day Caroline would arrive and that meant Alexander too.

“Miss Julia please lie back down you are not well,” Lady Sudbury said hesitating in helping her into her dress.

“I am fine just find me my smelling salts and some tea. I will be better in no time,” Julia insisted knowing that Lady Sudbury would not deny her that.

“Fine Miss Julia but if you feel too ill you must promise me you will come back to bed. Lets hope no one else sees how ill you look,” She told her pinching her cheeks to bring color to her pale face. “You are burning,” Lady Sudbury gasped.

“My tea,” Julia demanded trying to take the worry off lady Sudbury.

********

Julia pretended to read her book but she was not concentrating much, her fever was gone for now but she still had the slight discomfort in her chest. She just hoped it would not go further than a minor fever, “There here,” she whispered as she stood up from her study room.

Julia ran down the stairs wanting to be one of the first to greet the McLean’s. Suddenly she felt like she could not breathe and began to cough hysterically. She stopped and went into the library trying to calm herself, she could not allow anyone to see she was ill if not she would not be able to spend time with Caroline or Alexander. “Coming,” she managed to yell at her brother who was calling her to come down.

A few minutes later she was controlled and walked out to find Mr. McLean staring her way, she could not help the strange feeling inside her as his eyes met hers. She curtsied and walked toward him and the rest that were now coming from outside. “Mr. McLean,” she said then she tore her stare from him and her smile widen when she saw her soon to be sister in law. “Caroline,” she went to hug her.

“Oh, Julia how nice to see you,” Caroline chimed as she hugged Julia back.

“Julia my dear it is very nice to see you again,” Mrs. McLean said interrupting the warm embrace.

Julia curtsied toward Mrs. McLean and then cleared her throat to speak, “Mrs. McLean welcome to Bayshore,” she smiled to her.

“Enough please join us, Julia please play for us,” Sir William said as everyone walked toward the large common room.

Julia did as her father asked ignoring the headache that bothered her as she played the piano forte, she felt his stare on her and she could not wait to be able to speak to him alone.

After dinner the McLean’s left back to Whitlock where they were staying in the only lodging place Whitlock had. Before leaving though he was able to hand Julia a letter, “I will see you tomorrow Miss Julia,” he whispered to her as he handed it to her out of sight to everyone else.

**********

My Julia,

I have been yearning for this moment to see you again. Please meet me at Miss Singleton’s house tomorrow.

Love,

Alexander.

Julia smiled as she reread the small yet sweet letter from Mr. McLean.

“Well looks like you are in a better mood tonight,” Henry interrupted as he walked into Julia’s study room.

Julia was a little startled yet she managed to hide her letter, “I have a reason to be happy Henry my brother is about to become the happiest man in all the surrounding area.” She managed to say as she turned to face her cousin.

“I do have to admit Miss McLean is quite handsome, but I still happen to think someone is much prettier than her.” Henry said smiling at her cousin.

“It is getting late if you will excuse me I shall head to bed,” Julia said ignoring his comment.

“Please cousin, why have you become so crossed with me? I sincerely apologize if my arrogance insulted you… but you have to admit at least I was being honest. I do have to say though that if I were to believe that there was such women to achieve what any man can it would be you dear cousin. You are very smart and beautiful as well.” He took her hand and kissed it.

“Your right I could and many other women could too. I accept your apology cousin but I do have to go, I am very tired.” She curtsied and pulled her hand away from his grip. “Good night cousin.”
Chapter 19 by summer03
The next day Julia woke up extra early and was in the kitchen drinking a tea. The truth was Julia was not feeling well at all but she wanted to see Alexander and for that reason there she was putting on a facade. “I am fine,” Julia insisted as she finished her tea. “Please Lady Sudbury… I am well its just a little cold. It will pass.”

“Miss Julia maybe we should at least tell Nicholas,” Lady Sudbury begged as she looked worried for Julia. Somehow she knew that Julia was lying to her but, why was she exposing herself in that state?

“I am off,” Julia said as she suppressed a cough. “I promise I will be fine.”

“Where you are you heading to?” She asked looking at her curiously with a weak smile on her face.

“I am going into to town to see Angelina,” Julia answered stuttering. “I need a companion for a walk,” she felt like she needed to say more.

“Please Lady Julia… you will return at the slightest discomfort?” Lady Sudbury asked still very worried.

Julia walked out before she could have more obstacles in leaving Bayshore. Once outside and away from any servant or anyone she began to cough in hysterics. She managed to suppress her cough as she began her long walk into town. The only thing that gave her strength was knowing she was going to see Alexander.

*******

Julia had to hold herself on the wall as she tried to control her breathing. For the first time in her life the trip to her best friend’s house had caused her so much trouble. Maybe she should have a doctor see her, but she shook away that thought as she knocked at the door.

She forced a smile on her face just in time to be greeted by Mrs. Singleton herself. “Good morn Mrs. Singleton,” she curtsied and tried not to show the discomfort that it caused her.

“My dear Julia are you well? You look sickly…” Mrs. Singleton said looking at her worriedly.

“Yes just a little worn out with all the preparations going on at my house,” she managed again to give her a smile. “Is Angelina home?”

“Of course dear where would she be? Come on in I will go get her she was helping with her brother’s bath.” Mrs. Singleton said as she began to walk away and disappear up the old stairs that led to where Angelina was probably at.

She watched and heard as Mrs. Singleton told Angelina she had a visitor. She took that moment to compose herself and pinched her cheeks. One was for sure she did not want to look sickly in front of her Alexander.

“Julia!” Angelina bellowed as she walked down the stairs. “I am glad you made it, well let’s head out… here.” She said handing her a letter. “He sent it earlier.”

“Is he not coming?” Julia asked as she tried to keep up with Angelina’s pace.

“No silly he is waiting for us at the meadow that takes you to Manor’s court.” Angelina said as she stopped to wait for Julia.

“Oh that is a long walk,” Julia said as she began to cough again.

“Are you alright?” Angelina said running back to her.

“Yes just a cold from when I got wet last time. It will pass just help me.” Julia said after composing herself again.

“Well I hope you get well for the wedding…” Angelina said worriedly as they began there walk to the meadow where Alexander awaited.

*********

She clung to Alexander as he hugged her. “I am glad you are here,” she told him.

“I will be over there…” Angelina said as she walked away to give them time alone.

Alexander smiled at her in gratitude, “Yes I am and this time I am making sure to secure your hand in marriage. I just wanted to know if it was fine with you for me to speak to your father now or after the wedding.”

Julia bit her lip as she cleared her throat to suppress another cough. “I do not know… I have something to tell you.”

Alexander watched Julia carefully as he heard her, “What is it my Julia?”

“Well I know you have met my aunt and cousin. The ones staying at Bayshore with us?” Julia said starting slowly.

“Yes I did have the pleasure,” Alexander said anxiously.

“Well my father has come to me again with the proposition to marry me to Henry! I of course have declined but for that reason I believe we should wait till after the wedding. I just do not want mother to see her sister or nephew leave abruptly because of me. I want Nicholas and Caroline to have a memorable wedding.” She finished fast gasping for air and suddenly she was coughing again.

Alexander was taking in Julia’s explanation but stopped thinking as he heard her coughing. “Julia are you ill?” he asked holding her with his arms.

She finally stopped coughing, “No I am fine I got wet a few days ago and have a cold. I will be fine a few days.” She smiled at him as she caressed his face.

“Why did you not sent me a note telling me this? I would have not asked you to come here.” He looked at her worried.

“No! I am fine…” Julia said hugging him again. “I will be fine in few days I had to see you.” she managed to smile and kissed his cheek.

Alexander sighed and kissed her forehead, “I wanted to see you too. But I think you should go back home and rest. I will see you later my mother is going for brunch I will join her. I will see you then…” he caressed her cheek and smiled at her. “I want you to be well.”

Julia frowned but had no will to fight the truth was she was feeling very ill. Her chest was in pain now but she was not going to worry him more. “Fine I will see you then.” She gave him a reassuring smile, “Angelin-“she tried to say all her name but again she was in coughs.

“Angelina…” Alexander said as he held Julia. “I think you should see a doctor Julia.”

“No I will be fine… do not worry Lady Sudbury is taking care of me. I will go home and use my salts and teas. I will be better in no time. See you there,” she said as she gladly took Angelina’s hand.

She gasped for air as soon as she was far enough to not worry Alexander. “I must get home to drink my tea so I will be fine for later.” She told Angelina as they began there walk back to Bayshore.
Chapter 20 by summer03
“To my future wife,” Nicholas said as he raised his cup.

Julia raised her cup as she suppressed another cough. Tonight’s dinner was the last before the big wedding. Between suppressing her coughs and glancing at Alexander she managed to not give away her illness to anyone else.

“I do have to say son you have found yourself a wonderful young lady.” Mr. Carter said as he looked at his soon to be daughter in law. “Miss McLean how do you like the country?”

“Well sir I do enjoy it very much, I have spent many summers with my cousin Mrs. Littrell in Augusta.” Caroline answered.

“Good because Bayshore will pass to Nicholas soon and I believe he will be moving here permanently,” he turned to face his son.

Nicholas only nodded to his father and gave Julia a grin. He was the only other person in the family to know the secret arrangement between her and his soon to be brother in law.

*******

Julia hugged her brother tightly, “I am so happy for you Nicholas,” she told him. She was happy and relieved that finally the wedding had taken place.

“Thank you sister you out of anyone must know that this is a dream come true, no one can be happier than me today,” he told her.

“I think I know someone who could be happier than you my husband,” Caroline said as she smiled at him.

Julia hugged her new sister, “Oh Caroline it is such a rejoice to have you become my sister. I cannot believe it to be real, I feel like I am in a dream.”

He cleared his throat as he joined the party, “I have to say I am glad to call you my brother now,” Alexander said as he hugged his new brother in law. “I shall miss you very much my Caroline,” he told his sister as he hugged her too.

“Alexander I shall miss you too but I have a feeling we will still get to see a lot of each other,” she then winked at Julia.

He turned to see Julia blush at his sister’s comment. “Miss Julia may I have the next two dances?” he asked her finally looking at her. She looked gorgeous in the bridesmaids dress. He vowed to her and then extended his hand to her smiling as she took it.

“This a wonderful day to celebrate love do you not think so?” Julia said as she began to dance with Alexander.

“Yes indeed but it would be happier if you were the one wearing the wedding gown and I was the groom.” He told her as he twirled her.

Julia smiled and blushed, “I think that will also so be a glorious day too.”

“I shall request to talk to your father as soon as tomorrow morn.” He said with excitement in his voice. “My love how are you feeling though? You still look quite pale.” He said worriedly.

“I am fine,” she assured him just in time to see her cousin approach them. She groaned as she saw him smiling at her.

“My cousin must dance with me next,” Henry said as he passed by with his dancing partner. He winked at her and then he continued to dance.

“Your cousin is not a very pleasing person,” Alexander said with a jealous tone.

Julia giggled and then she cleared her throat to prevent the sudden urge to cough, “I have come to detest his presence, stay assured you have nothing to worry about. Besides you will talk to poppa soon and then we will put a date to wed.” She felt elated at that thought she would be Lady McLean and at seventeen.

***********

As she watched Nicholas and Caroline from her bedroom window she smiled. They seemed to be very happy about being man and wife. She could not have chosen someone better for her brother and she was adjusting quite well to her new role.

They were to leave to Lime soon for a few weeks before returning to Bayshore for Nicholas to come and claim what was rightfully his now that he was a married man. Bayshore would now belong to him.

Julia smiled as she continued to stare into the garden. Her brother was very happy and that made her happy as well. She had to smile as she had declined to go with him and Caroline to Lime. She did not want to impose on them yet anyway. She knew she would have enough time to bond with her new sister.

Soon her attention though was brought to a barouche that approached Bayshore. She felt her heart stop when she realized it was Alexander. He had kept his promise and had only left his mother in London. Now here he was about to talk to her father. She sighed heavily as she realized that Henry was still here.

Henry had taken the liberty to over welcome his stay by asking to stay longer. Of course her father had agreed and that was the main reason she continued to spend more time in her room and not out walking. Her walks would only get interrupted by her very annoying cousin.

She finally stepped away from her window and made sure she looked appropriate for Alexander. She began to walk down the stairs when she heard her father greet Alexander.

“Why do come in, you have returned quite soon. Do you need to see your sister? Is you mother alright?” Mr. Carter asked as he greeted the guest.

“No sir, my mother could not be in better health than now,” Alexander said as he greeted Mr. Carter. “I actually wanted to request a word with you sir,” he said giving him a friendly smile.

“Oh well come on in lets go to the library then, Lady Sudbury could you get us some tea.” He ordered as he and Alexander vanished into the library.

Julia smiled as she finally made it completely down the stairs and without care walked toward the library. She was curious to hear how Alexander would tell her father about there love. She also feared at what her father would say.

“You do know that hearing others conversation is not very lady like cousin,” Henry said as he spotted her very close to his uncle’s library.

Julia rolled her eyes at him and spoke, “I just happen to be walking through,” she said and curtsied as she walked away. She was mad to have been caught and now she would not be able to hear anything.

She opted to read her favorite Shakespeare book, Romeo and Juliet. But even that did not keep her nerves away she wanted to know what was happening. Would her father accept her choice, Alexander was a very suitable gentleman. Why would he not?

***********

“Please have a seat good sir,” Mr. Carter said as he took a seat as well. “What has you so overwrought my good man?”

“Well Sir,” Alexander commenced as he removed his top hat. “I have a lot that I am going to lay on you sir and I must admit I am a little nervous about it.”

“Oh please Mr. Alexander do not put me at edge… please do tell you are now part of the family.” Mr. Carter said as he glanced at the very nervous man.

“You are right,” Alexander said wiping his forehead with his handkerchief. “I come to ask for Julia’s hand in marriage.” He said in one breath as he looked at the sudden bewildered Mr. Carter.

“I beg your pardon,” Mr. Carter said as his hand went to his chest.

Alexander smiled nervously and cleared his throat again, “I have fallen in love with your daughter sir and I want to make her my wife.”

Mr. Carter began to laugh and then he turned serious, “I have to say this is a surprise…now you must understand I can’t say yes to this request.”

“Why not?” Alexander asked looking at him seriously.

“I have promised my youngest daughter that I would not force her into marriage. I have to say that she must be unconscious to your passion for her sir.”

Alex smiled nervously… “Mr. Carter Julia is very aware of what I am doing at this very moment. She is much in love with me as I am in love with her.”

“Are we talking about the same Julia?” Mr. Carter asked as he eyed Mr. Alexander.

“Yes, we love each other. Now Mr. Carter will you consent my proposal?” Alexander asked in a resolute voice.
Mr. Carter sighed heavily and then smiled, “My god… you are being serious. I have to say I never saw this coming. I cannot deny you such request… you have my consent if I can hear from Julia herself this confession to be true.”

“Shall I go get her?” Alexander said as he stood up.

“No, let me get Lady Sudbury to go get her.” Mr. Carter said eyeing him with a smile playing on his usual serious face.

*******
End Notes:
SO i have to say that I finally got inspired to write another chapter to this story. Enjoy because the end is soon to come. I hope people are still following this story... Please feedback would be awesome.
Chapter 21 by summer03
“Yes father you asked for me to come see you?” Julia said as she walked into the study where her father awaited. She stopped mid-step when she saw who stood in the same room with him… Alexander.

“Yes I did my Julia… please do come in.” Sir William Carter said with a serious tone.

“Sir McLean please wait for my call in the hall please,” he said not even glancing at the young man as he walked out the room.

Julia saw the small smile that played on Alexander’s face before he walked out yet she still felt the ebb in her stomach as she took a seat on one of the chairs. “Poppa?” Julia said in a very subtle voice.

“Julia,” Sir Carter said as he held his hand up. “I do not want to hear anything from you just yet… first you must answer two simple questions from me.” he eyed and finally a small smile was detected in his face.

“Yes sir,” Julia said as she looked at her lap.

“Mr. McLean has come to this house to ask me for your hand in marriage. Now this has come sort of a shock to me my dear Julia because to my knowledge you are still heart broke about Sir Lucas. I just want to know two things… one do you want to marry Sir Alexander he is a man no doubt at almost thirty.” Sir Carter said as he walked and sat right in front of his daughter. “Well?”

“I do sir,” Julia said finally looking up to her father. “I am very much in love with Sir McLean since the first time he came here to Bayshore… I did not understand my feeling then poppa but I love him.”

Sir William laughed a frivolous laugh as he saw the rose tint that grew on his daughter’s face. “My lord why have I not noticed this? You married to Mr. McLean… I have to admit you have made quite a good choice Julia he is of very high social standing and very wealthy indeed.”

“I did not look at that father he is a very nice kind gentleman and that’s why I love him.” Julia said to her father.

“I see so here is my other question, what shall we do with you insufferable cousin? He still believes he can win your heart my dear Julia,” Mr. Carter said laughing again.

“I have no idea father… he is very vile alright.” Julia chuckled with her father.

“I will deal with him, but I do have to say Julia I am happy with your choice and I consent to give you hand in marriage to such noble man.”

“Oh poppa thank you,” Julia said in excitement as she stood and hugged her father. “I am the happiest woman alive.”

“I am sure you are, now call Mr. McLean in we have to celebrate I will tell Lady Sudbury to call your mother! She will be shocked alright...” Mr. Carter said a very pleasant smile playing on his lips.

********

Two days later Sir McLean arrived to London with the sole purpose of telling his mother about his engagement to Julia Carter.

“Son,” Lady McLean said greeting her son.

“Mamma,” Alexander said kissing his mother’s hand. “I have great news for you.”

“Well son do tell,” She said with a brilliant smile on her face as took a sip of her tea.

“I have been made the happiest man alive,” he gloated as he took a seat beside her. “I have been wanting to talk to you about this but have never had a chance with all that has happened… but I must tell you now. I am to be married to Miss Julia Carter, I have asked for her hand in marriage and have been accepted.” He said a very genuine smile on his face.

“My dear boy,” Denise said putting her tea aside. “You engaged to Miss Carter? Was she not engaged to Sir Lucas? Even though I did not see him at the wedding.”

“Mamma, Sir Lucas is to never be mentioned the retched man is no good he had asked for Julia’s hand in marriage while had with child another woman. He only asked for Julia’s hand in marriage because he knew how advantageous that marriage would have been. The truth mamma I have been courting Julia since I first met her and realized how beautiful she is.”

“what a vile man Sir Lucas, to honest son though I sort of felt like there was something more between the two of you.” Lady McLean said a smile spreading on her face.

“I have to say I am happy with your choice my son, Julia is quite pretty and comes from a wealthy family.”

“I am glad you like her mother.”

*******

While Alexander was in London taking care of business in Bayshore the preparations for Julia’s wedding had begun.

In exactly three months a winter wedding would take place. Julia was elated and did not waste time in preparing her wedding gown. She knew Angelina’s mom was a very good seamstress so she was going to use her to design her own wedding gown.

Nicholas and Caroline were in Lime, but not before celebrating with them the glorious news. “I am very happy to hear you will marry my brother,” she had told Julia just before she had left.

If you wondering what happened to Henry well he did not stay much longer after he found out about his cousin’s engagement. Of course he also got the lecture of his life from Sir William when Sir William found out about his real motives in courting Julia.

It turned out that Henry had gambled his inheritance and was very much broke. He did think Julia was pretty but he saw the advantage of courting her. What he did not know was that maybe Julia would have considered him at some point had it not been for his proud behavior.

Things were finally looking up for Julia and her family… Everyone they knew was getting notified of the grand wedding. Julia was indeed her father’s favorite just like Nicholas they were only bringing the best…
End Notes:
OK so thanks to all that have followed this story this is the second to last chapter of the end. I am working on the end as we speak... Please enjoy and review.
Chapter 22 by summer03
That spring Julia married her beloved Alexander. The wedding was the talk of all London and even Miss Pier and her husband came to the wedding. Julia was exactly nineteen and Mr. McLean eight and twenty when they married.

The wedding was by far one that was talked about even after it was done. My Julia was radiant in her white lace gown as she walked in the arms of her father down the parsonage of Bayshore Court. Mr. McLean wore the most contagious smile as he waited by the priest and there was not one dry eye in the church that day.

Mrs. Carter was glad to have married off all her daughters and now she had the house to herself for most of the time since it was decided that Nicholas and Caroline would stay in London for at least a year. Not that Mrs. Carter would mind Nicholas to live there she adores her son.

I of course was sent to live with them. My Julia could not part without me and I obliged. Her home in Lime was very grandiose suitable for a lady like my Julia. The ocean only made Julia fall more in love with Lime and convinced her husband to move to that estate permanently leaving his London home to his mother.

Exactly three months after there marriage Julia conceived which she was very excited about.

“You have made me the happiest man alive,” Alexander told his wife as he hugged her.

“I am very happy too Alexander and I hope it’s a boy. I want to name him like his father.” Julia said with enthusiasm

“Mother will rejoice when she hears about this. We shall go see her in London to tell her personally.”

“As you wish and I will write to Nicholas and poppa.” Julia said. “It seems little Phillip will have a cousin soon.”

Phillip was Nicholas first son with Alexander’s sister Caroline. Julia was very excited and her world seemed to finally fit in place. She was married to the perfect man. He was much older than her but she did not care he was the most honest and loving husband.

The Carters all seemed to be enjoying a joyful life. Howard and Elizabeth now had an estate in Lime as well and Roberta was also expecting a child. Mrs. Carter and his wife could not be happier seeing all there kids settled with very suitable people.

But of course for Mr. Carter Julia had been the one to be best suited. He could not have picked a better husband for her and he could not believe he had at one point tried to marry her to such a horrible man as Sir Lucas. No one could destroy the happiness this big family now enjoyed.

********

Julia had to be bedridden when it was confirmed she did not carry one child but two. Alexander kept to her side unless it was of most importance for him to leave. Julia was very grateful for that and knew then that Alexander was her other half.

At exactly eight months in half Julia gave birth to a healthy little boy and a little girl. Alexander James and Mary Jane McLean, they became the pride of Manscourt there estate in Lime.

Everything seemed to march very well and after a very much needed rest Manscourt was preparing or its first ball in honor of the joy both Alexander and Julia felt toward there children.

Everyone was invited from friends to friends of friends. At one point Julia worried for she had heard that even the prince would show up. Of course that was just rumor and soon she was at easy.

“Make sure that the curtains look presentable,” Julia demanded to her servants as she walked with her daughter in her arms while Mrs. Sudbury held little Alexander.

“I hope nothing goes wrong in this ball.” Julia told her governess and now very close friend.

“You have nothing to worry about Miss Julia this ball will be flawless I can assure you.”

“I hope so Alexander’s mother is soon to arrive.” Julia said as she eyed her home it was a very organized place but she had to make sure that for this ball it looked perfect.

*****

I would have given anything for the happiness that once filled Manscourt would stay but to everyone’s surprise god had other plans for the owners of such wonderful estate.

A tragedy was about to happen and steal away the happiness and joy of the masters of the house. A tragedy that marked the heart of one of them and silenced the heart of the other…
End Notes:
Ok... I hope you like this because the next chapter is the finale...hehe. I would love to see some feedback on this one. well if anyone is reading it. Lol. enjoy!
Chapter 23 by summer03
Author's Notes:
Finally the finale... I hope you all like it. I do apologize for the long wait on this one. I also will like to say I am doing another historical one I would love for you to check out as well... :) Again I would love your feedback.

******
The summer of 1823 was the last summer that Manscourt was a happy estate. It was then that misfortune hit Manscourt…

“You have a fever darling,” Alexander told his wife that had not yet gotten up. “I will call upon a doctor… you have been in bed for two days now. I do not like the cough you have.”

“I am fine my husband just a little cold it will pass.” Julia assured her husband who had not left to London to stay with her.

“I will not leave till I am assured you will be fine.” Alexander said as he kissed his wife’s forehead.

Later that day Doctor Price had arrived and after persuasion from lady Julia assured Sir Alexander she was fine.

“I will not be long,” Alexander told lady Sudbury as he prepared to leave in his coach. “Please keep me informed and try to keep my wife in bed.”

“I will sir do not worry…” Lady Sudbury said as she helped him. “In no time she will be out in the garden with your children playing again.”

“I do hope so she makes this place light up,” Alexander said smiling genuinely.

**********

“Miss Julia I think we should call the doctor again,” Lady Sudbury said as she helped young Julia back to bed.

“No, it will go away it always does.” Julia said before she had to cough again. That was what she hated the incessant coughs. Her chest ached from all the coughing.

“At least you shall tell your husband the truth, in his last letter he asked how you felt and you Julia lied to him.”

“I am fine he does not need to leave his duty to come and just watch me cough. He will be back when he is back.” Julia said as she covered her mouth again as she begun to cough. After her coughing fit is that she realized the red liquid on her hand, the metallic taste on her tongue. She gasped a little and then hid her hand so lady Sudbury would not see.

I knew she was hiding something from me though so I still had a doctor called upon. This time when the doctor saw her he asked that her husband come down to Manscourt as fast as he could. I personally sent him a letter urging him to come… it was a two day trip from London to Lime.

“She is very ill and I am afraid I have no cure for what she has.” Doctor Price said in a very worried tone, he had been there on the arrival of Sir McLean and his brother in law Nicholas.

“What is wrong with my wife?” He asked concerned he had been surprised to see how pale she looked and she was delirious from the fever she had.

“I am afraid sir that your wife has contracted Consumption and is in the last stages of that disease. I recommend you take your children away and keep her secluded.”

“No my sister cannot, have consumption…” Nicholas said as he heard the doctor. “I need to see her.”

“I’ll show you her room,” Lady Sudbury said still shocked from what she had heard.

*********

It was like darkness took over Manscourt, Nicholas had taken the children to Bayshore to stay with his wife and mother.

Julia had worsened and her once bright face was pale, she lost conscious a few times. So Mr. McLean did not move not once from her side. “Sir please do go have dinner with your brother and father in law.” Lady Sudbury said as she came into the room with a wet cloth to be put on Julia’s head.

“I shall not move from here…” said he with a tiresome tone. “I want to be with her till her last breath. I am loosing her Miss Sudbury and it is causing much pain to my heart.”

It was the first time I saw him cry with out care that I was in the room. I decided to retrieve and let them be, but that is when my Julia opened her eyes and spoke. “I’m very cold.” She said weakly.

“I will get more wood for the fire place,” Sir Alexander said but instead he stopped when Julia spoke again.

“No do not go yet… I need to speak to you.” Said she between coughs. “I know I am not to live past tonight and only wish to tell you my husband that…” she struggled for breath.

“Please my dear don’t exert yourself by talking I will stay here all the time needed.” Alexander told his wife as he kissed her forehead.

“I must,” she continued as she closed her eyes a little. “I cannot leave this world without letting you know that you have made me the happiest wife and mother. I love you dearly my husband and only wish you to move on. You are young and you shall rally again, I will not hold that against you… just promise me to always take good care of the children. Talk to them about me so they will always know that they had a mother that loved them dearly.” She took a deep breath.

“I will love no other like I love you my Julia.” Alexander said not liking the way his wife spoke.

“Promise me you will move on, you cannot condone yourself to loneliness you deserve happiness, Alexander.” Said she before she went to a heap off coughs that made her cry in pain as she held her chest.

“Get the doctor Lady Sudbury,” Alexander demanded as he aid his wife.

*********

Julia was right she did not make it past that night. Yet she left many good memories to everyone that loved her. She left a special mark though on one good man Sir Alexander McLean who almost lost sanity.

He became very sad and angry as he had witnessed his wife die in his arms. His love for her though made him recuperate in time to claim his children from his brother and sister.

It has been a year since that event and Manscourt has never been let since. I now tend for the children in the house Sir Mclean owns in London. He has not found anyone to take place of Julia and still he puts a plate out for her at dinner.

He tends to his children and has a special spot for his daughter who he claims is the image of Julia.

All there is to say about this story is that love does exist and it can move people. I witnessed such love in my dear Julia and Sir McLean. If only it would have last longer…
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10008