A Happy Ending by ficfriction
Summary: It's Holly's birthday! Wait... Why does Ryan have to go away?
Categories: Fanfiction > Music > The Young Veins Characters: Jon Walker, Ryan Ross
Genres: Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: Ross Family Series
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2726 Read: 769 Published: 07/05/10 Updated: 07/05/10
Story Notes:
This is the 6th installment of the "Ross Family Series".

1. A Happy Ending by ficfriction

A Happy Ending by ficfriction
Author's Notes:
[Disclaimer: I do not know or associate with any famous people mentioned in this fiction.]
“You know, Holly, if I didn’t love you I wouldn’t let you drag me around the mall on your birthday,” Kat grumbled as she let herself get dragged to the nearest store. “But, that doesn’t mean my lack of love life is free game.”

“Sorry, love,” Holly said with a smile as he eyes moved from item to item, barely having time to register one fabric before landing on another, “but you said, and I quote, ‘since you can’t have Ryan today, we can do whatever you want, talk about whatever you want, even eat whatever you want,’ and I intend to do just that.”

“I need some salt…”

Holly stopped her shopping and turned a curious look to her friend, Kat. “Why do you need salt?”

“To dull down the taste of my foot in my mouth,” she answered with a shrug and a grin as she watched Holly roll her eyes and shake her head. “Well, it’s true.”

“To steal the words from your mouth, ‘See that? That way you’ll learn,’” she said before sharing a small laugh with Kat.

“You know, I’m really hating my foot in my mouth. Can we change the subject?” She smiled, her smile faltering when Holly grabbed a dress. “I didn’t know you were in the market for a new dress…” Kat said, her voice wavering slightly since she knew that dress was more her size than Holly’s.

“Oh I’m not, but you did say anything,” Holly replied as she handed it to Kat, who looked over the dress. “Try it on,” Holly smiled, holding it out, wiggling it on the hanger until Kat took it and headed to the fitting room.

Holly stood to the side of the door as she waited for her friend to try on the dress. “So, why can’t we talk about you needing to find a good man?”

“Because the only good man has been captured by you,” Kat answered from behind the door. “Not saying I want your Ryrie or anything,” she quickly said before her friend could get the wrong idea.

“I know, he’s a fashion boy and you don’t go for those,” Holly replied as she checked her Sidekick, frowning when she saw no messages from Ryan. She had been a little bothered that she woke up without him, only to find a note blaming Pete Wentz for calling him out to New York to discuss business; but it was work related, she understood. But now, not even one call, text, or anything? She had gotten calls from family all morning, and even a big birthday hug when her mom stopped by to pick up the kids so she could have a day for her, but nothing from her husband. “You know, Jon is a good guy…”

“Holly, today is your birthday hon, don’t worry about trying to set me up,” Kat called from behind the door before it opened and she stepped out, wearing the dress.

Holly looked her friend over and nodded with a smile. “Now that looks awesome, you should buy it,” she said as Kat turned around so she could get an all over view.

“But, we both know I don’t buy, or wear, dresses,” Kat said as she looked in the mirror at herself. “I feel like one of those cats that just got a clothing item put on them… You know, they just kind of lean over until they just collapse on the ground and lay there, their tail going a mile a minute as they cut a kitty glare at their owner…”

Holly snickered and shook her head, fully amused by her friend’s analogy. “Well then, since you’re not buying it, can I take a picture so I can have proof that I did actually get you in a dress?” She questioned, batting her eyelashes at Kat.

“It’s going to be posted all over Facebook, isn’t it?” Kat questioned as she sent her friend a wary look, sighing in defeat when a nod confirmed her fears. “Alright… But only because it’s your birthday.”

- - - - -

Several hours later, as Kat dragged herself to her car, she raised a brow when her phone went off. The only person who would be texting her behind the car, waiting for her to pop the trunk, and sharing the raised eyebrow moment. “I exist?” She questioned with a chuckle as she unlocked the car and proceeded to pop the trunk.

“Didn’t you get the memo?” Holly questioned as she lifted the trunk and started putting in the bags of merchandise. “When you know me and Ryan, you exist,” she explained with a tone of “it should be obvious” before she shared a laugh with Kat.

“Thanks, Holly, you’re a dear,” she play scoffed as she helped her load the trunk. She half-wondered if everything would fit.

“Aren’t you going to check it?” Holly questioned as she loaded in the last of the bags and shut the trunk. She looked at Kat, who shook her head and went to get in the car. “Why not?” Holly asked as she got in with Kat and buckled in before she got situated behind the steering wheel.

“It’s your birthday, and we’re hanging out?” Kat replied, looking at her friend as she buckled her own belt. “It would be rude of me. You’re the only one with phone privileges today.”

Holly rolled her eyes as she backed out of the parking spot and headed away from the mall. “Just answer your phone. You can check your text while I drive, I don’t care. I’m curious who’s texting you when you barely text anyone but me.”

Kat chuckled. “I thought curiosity was supposed to kill the Kat, not the Holly,” she mused as she reached into the pocket of her faded blue jeans and slid her phone open.

“But just like the Kat, satisfaction will bring me back,” Holly countered, remembering the rest of the line after Kat had told her about it before. “So, who is it?” She questioned, glancing over at her friend as she waited for the light to turn green so she could exit the parking lot and continue on to the next place.

“Jon…” Kat answered as she re read the text, out loud so that Holly could hear what Ryan’s friend, slash band mate, had to say. “Saw the pic Holly posted of you. She’s right, you should wear more dresses… And then he put a smiley…”

Holly grinned at her friend’s blush. “Now is that blush because of a compliment, because Jon gave you said compliment, or both?” She questioned as she put her foot on the gas when the light turned green.

Kat gave Holly a look before she replied and put her phone away. “Are we back on this again?” She questioned, looking at Holly, who gave a confirming nod and a smile. “Holly, Brendon killed dating for me, I don’t want anyone right now.”

“Brendon was a tool, and you shouldn’t be hung up on him,” Holly replied, rolling her eyes when she spoke his name. It was no secret that Holly no longer liked the little shit who had not only driven a wedge between him and everyone else, but had also hurt her friend. “Jon is a great guy, and he is definitely no Brendon.”

“We’ll talk about this on a day that isn’t supposed to be about you,” Kat said with a raised eyebrow.

“Fine, but one last thing. You should definitely consider giving Mr. J Walk a chance,” Holly said as she pulled into their next destination.

“Does your husband know you’re trying to play matchmaker again?”

“Yep, and he agrees with me,” she answered as she smiled and stuck out her tongue.

- - - - -

Holly yawned as she walked up to the door of the home she shared with her family, Kat in tow with more bags. “Thank you so much for going out with me today, Kat, I really appreciate it,” Holly said as she fumbled with her keys.

“It’s no problem,” Kat said as she grinned when the door silently opened, but Holly was too busy trying to mess with her keys and the store bags to notice.

“Need some help with that?”

Holly stopped and looked up, smiling wide when the lights inside turned on, revealing Ryan in the doorway, grinning at her. She barely registered the people behind him shouting “Surprise!” as she dropped her bags and leapt into his awaiting arms, smiling more. “Ryan!”

Ryan chuckled as he caught her and hugged her close, mouthing a thank you to Kat, who shrugged and grabbed the discarded bags, sliding past the two lovers inside. He kissed Holly softly before he let go and smiled at her. “Wow, you got your hair done,” he mused as he ran his fingers through the soft tresses.

The final destination of the day had been a stop at a salon for some female maintenance, where both girls had gotten something done to their hair. Kat had only gotten a trim, a small style, and a dye job of dark red with black streaks through it, while Holly’s hair took longer. She had gotten professional extensions to make her hair longer, with gorgeous wavy, fat curls with the addition of dark brown with reddish highlights.

“Do you like it?” She questioned, smiling as she took in the sight of him. “And what happened to New York?”

“I love it, and I never really went to New York,” he answered with a small grin as he led her inside, where she saw who all was there. “I just left to get your birthday gift and have Kat distract you all day until I got everything set up.”

“You’re good,” Holly giggled as she let him walk her around so she could visit everyone.

Ryan smiled as he watched his wife talk with their friends, loving how adorable she was when she was interacting with them. He had to admit, he really did love the new hair she had, it looked amazing on her. He slipped away from her long enough to find Kat and thank her before he returned to her side and found her talking with Nick (Murray), from his band. He slid his arm around her and kissed the top of her head as he stayed by her, joining in on the conversation.

As the night went on, with a DJ that Ryan had hired playing music for the small party, Holly noticed he kept checking his watch from time to time. Finally, her curiosity got the better of her and she leaned up so she could whisper to him, “What are you checking your watch for?” Ryan turned a smile to her and held up a finger before he departed from her, his presence replaced by Kat, who nudged her to get her attention. “Do you know what’s going on?” Holly questioned.

“Of course I do,” Kat answered with a smile right as the music cut off. “Just hush and find out.”

Holly looked to the DJ stand, where Ryan was talking with the DJ, before he cleared his throat, turning his attention on the small crowd. “As all of you know, tonight is my wife’s birthday,” he said once he had gathered the attention of everyone in the room. “I would just like to thank all of your for coming, and Kat, for keeping my wife busy so we could pull all this together.” He paused to look at Holly and give her a loving smile. “Holly, I just want you to know, you don’t look any older, and I’ll love you even when we’re old and gray. Happy birthday baby girl.” He looked up to the closed kitchen door. “Jon, bring out the cake!”

Holly looked where her husband was looking and smiled when Jon came out of the kitchen, holding a birthday cake for her, with candles lit. She smiled, blushing slightly when all attention turned on her as those around her joined in on singing “Happy Birthday” to her. When it was done, she thought of her wish and blew out the candles, smiling when Ryan came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist.

“Happy birthday, love,” he whispered in her ear before she turned and wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing him. He returned the kiss, chuckling softly into it at the whistles and cat calls.

- - - - -

Ryan smiled as he slowly stroked Holly’s hair as they laid curled up together in their bed, enjoying each other’s company. “Did you like your surprise?” He questioned softly as he continued to slowly rake his fingers through her hair.

“I love it Ryrie,” she answered as she looked up at him. “Thank you, so much, for everything.” She leaned up and kissed him softly, closing her eyes as he returned the kiss. When they slowly broke apart, they smiled at each other and she kissed his chin. “I can’t wait to go on our cruise, the kids are going to love the water.”

“Yeah they are,” he chuckled softly. “I have one more gift for you, by the way.”

“Hon, you did enough already,” she said as she watched him get up from the bed after untangling their bodies. “What more could you have done?”

“Well, remember how I’ve been hanging out with Patrick more and more lately?” He questioned as he went over to his closet and turned on the light inside before moving into it.

“I did notice that,” she answered with a confused tone as she sat up, watching him reach behind his shoes and pull out a flat square box. When he came back to the bed, and sat down, handing her the box, she took it and started to unwrap it.

“He helped me put something together for you, and I knew if I had asked Kat she couldn’t do part of it, and could definitely not keep a secret about the part she could do,” he explained as he kissed her shoulder when she removed the lid, revealing a photo album.

The top of the album had a layer of crushed red velvet on the cover with the words Ross Family Album in golden calligraphy letters in the top of the center. Underneath the lettering was one of the pictures of the whole family when they had the family portraits done. Ryan and Holly were resting against each other, their heads touching, and in Ryan’s arms was their son Rylan, and in her arms was their daughter, Brycen.

Holly lightly traced her fingers over it as she stared at the picture of her family. “Ryan, it’s beautiful,” she whispered as she looked from the book to him to place a soft kiss on his cheek. “Thank you Ryan, really.”

Ryan smiled. “If you lift up the book you’ll find there is something laying underneath it…”

Holly raised a brow at her husband before she lifted the book to find a CD in a clear case underneath it. “What’s this love?” She questioned as she picked it up and looked it over.

“That is what Patrick was helping me with,” Ryan answered as he ran his hand over the small of her back. “On that CD are songs written and recorded for you and you alone,” he explained as she looked at him. “Original songs, just for you.”

“Ryrie…” She looked at the CD as she set it back down in the fabric that had been under it and the book, before she put the book back in the box and shut the box. She put it on their nightstand and turned back over, snuggling into his side as they laid back down together. “You’re amazing…”

“Nah, I’m just lucky,” he replied as he kissed the top of her head. “I love you Holly.”

“I love you too, Ryan,” she smiled before their lips met once more.
End Notes:
[Author's Note: Today is Holly's birthday! So I made her this birthday one-shot. I'm shocked I actually wrote anything. I didn't even have a specific plot planned out for it but it came together as I was writing it.Happy birthday Holly!!!]
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10140