There's Us - a companion to Something Beautiful by Pengi
Summary:


At the end of the road trip to discover the beauty in life, Nick and Amanda journey through the back story and the memories that made Brian's something beautiful...


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Brian, Group, Nick, Other
Genres: Angst, Drama, Humor
Warnings: Death
Challenges:
Series: Something Beautiful
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 9212 Read: 12831 Published: 07/26/10 Updated: 08/19/10
Story Notes:
This is a companion to another story, Something Beautiful. Please make sure you read that story first or this one will make no sense! Thanks!

1. Introduction by Pengi

2. Chapter One by Pengi

3. Journal Entry by Pengi

4. Chapter Two by Pengi

5. Chapter Three by Pengi

6. Chapter Four by Pengi

7. Chapter Five by Pengi

8. Chapter Six by Pengi

Introduction by Pengi
Brian’s eyes were closed, but he wasn’t asleep, it just hurt to have them open. Most things hurt recently. He wasn’t sure how much longer he had, he just knew it wasn’t much longer. His lips always felt chapped. He licked them, trying to return moisture to them, where the skin had become hard and started flaking painfully. His jaw bone was so sore these days, too, for reasons he couldn’t figure out, that sometimes it hurt to chew food and he had to force it down, his body shaking from the pain.

Dying was certainly not an easy process. The easiest part, for him at least, would be the moment when his heart actually stopped beating and he got to go home to Heaven. As much as he didn’t want to leave behind his family and friends, he really couldn’t wait to go… He needed to rest.

But first, today, he had something important to do.

The knock at the door made him open his eyes, even though the sunlight filtering through the drawn blinds still hurt. “Hallo?” he asked, his voice so weak he almost couldn’t recognize it himself. The sound of it, raspy and low, frightened him.

Amanda looked around the curtain, “Hey,” she said, a tentative smile spreading across her face. She stepped into the room. “I didn’t wake you up, did I?”she asked, pulling up a seat next to Brian’s bed.

Brian smiled, “No, I was just resting my eyes.”

“The light bothering you?” Amanda asked. She knew because of her brother’s experience exactly how sensitive the eyes became to light. She got up and started tightening the shades, blocking out even more light. The only light in the room now was the shuddering blue of the TV in the corner of the ceiling, and the pale green from the heart monitor. “How’s that?”

Much better,” Brian answered, sinking into the pillow behind him in relief. “Oh my Lord, I can’t believe how many little things are effected by Leukemia,” he muttered. “I never imagined before.”

Amanda smiled sadly, “Neither did I.”

“I’ll tell you what, though,” Brian said, “It gives me a whole other respect for the little kids in the St. Jude’s commercials. I’ve seen two or three of them today,” he added, nodding weakly toward the TV set, “And every time I can’t help but feel a little bit like I’m selfish for being so miserable. They’re so much younger, with so many fewer experiences than I’ve had,” he looked at Amanda, “And they don’t have Nick.”

Amanda’s smile was sad. “You aren’t selfish, Brian,” she said, shaking her head, “God you’re the furthest thing from selfish.”

“I just feel like things could be worse,” Brian said, “And really, death isn’t the end of anything really.” He watched her as she pulled opened her bag and her micro-recorder and legal pad came out. She put the micro-recorder on the nightstand beside her, and situated the yellow pad of paper. “Death is just the beginning.”

Amanda looked up at him, “Where do you get all these beautiful words from? Seriously, there’s got to be a book of ‘Brian-isms’ somewhere, right?” she smiled.

Brian tried to laugh, but it tightened in his chest and became a cough. Amanda stood up, dropping the legal pad on the bed beside him, and quickly patted his back as he leaned forward to cough. Like burping a baby, Brian thought. When the fit of coughing passed, he took a sip of water from the glass she held out, and looked up at her, “Thank you.”

“Don’t mention it,” she replied.

“So you have the interview all planned out?” Brian asked, trying to peek at her notes. “Any interesting questions?”

“No worries,” Amanda answered, winking, “You’ll hear them all in due time.” She pulled a pen from her hair, where she’d tucked it for safe-keeping. “Are you ready?” she asked.

Brian smiled, “Oh yes. Of course.”

Amanda clicked the record button on the recorder and smiled at him, lifting her legal pad up to read it. “Brian, over the past few months, you’ve spent time on the road with Nick and I. Do you feel like you’ve accomplished your goal?” she asked.

Brian’s smile was warm, even though it hurt him to do it, and his eyes twinkled beneath their hazy sheen of exhaustion. “Yes,” he said, his honey-coated voice raspy from the illness. “I did.”

“So you found something beautiful?” When he nodded, she asked, “What was your something beautiful, Brian?”

Brian reached behind him to the right-side nightstand. He moved aside the worn Bible and lifted his leather bound journal, pulling it toward him on the bed. Setting it onto his lap, he opened it up about three quarters of the way through and held out a picture to her. He smiled, “This.” Closing the journal as she took the photo, he added, “Tell Nick the page without a picture is the one this belongs on.”

Amanda took the picture as Brian wound the leather strands that kept the journal closed around it and knotted them in his quirky way. Tamper-proofing, he thought to himself with a tiny smile. He and Nick had tamper-proofed everything when they were younger, traveling on the bus with prying eyes (AJ’s). She studied it a moment, considering, then looked up at Brian, confusion in her eyes, “Your something beautiful is the back of Nick’s head?” she asked, holding up the picture.

She remembered taking it. It had been during the drive from Boulder to Omaha, before they had moved into the Hummer. Brian had been stripping the gears of the bus, and Nick had been trying to patiently teach him how to drive it. The boys had spent a good deal of the ride laughing and talking happily with each other. The picture she’d taken had simply been of the back of the boys’ heads as they laughed, the dashboard of the bus beyond, and through the windshield, the long stretch of road going on, seemingly forever, the double solid yellow line stretching away across time.

Brian laughed, but it wasn’t the usual ringing laugh from deep in his stomach that Amanda had become used to since they’d left Los Angeles. Instead, it was a shaking, borderline cough laugh that came from somewhere in his lungs. It was heart breaking, the new laugh, because it wasn’t anything like the old one. “No,” he said, eyes twinkling, making up for some of the laugh’s missing elements. “No. It’s not the picture itself, I could’ve used any picture of us,” he said, “But what it represents.”

Amanda considered what that could be. Finally, “You and Nick,” she said, nodding. She understood completely.

“Yeah, me and Nick,” Brian answered. He paused, “Is that cheesy?”

Amanda shook her head, “Not at all. It’s – well, not romantic, but nice, I guess. It’s truth. It’s raw truth.” She looked at the picture carefully. “It’s beautiful.”

Brian glanced at it again. “I really couldn’t have used any other picture,” he admitted. “This one’s captured so much…” he pointed to the way Nick’s hand was bent in his silhouette, to the way you could tell they were both smiling because of the bumps on their cheeks, the way Nick’s mouth was outlined against the bright windshield as he laughed. It was truly a perfect photograph of a friendship, caught unaware, preserved forever.

“It’s perfect,” Amanda agreed.

Brian smiled. “Everything he did to make this trip happen… everything he ever did before… and everything he’s done since I’ve been sick to keep me comfortable…” Brian looked to his right, “He’s slept in that cot over there for the past week, you know.”

“Where is he now?” Amanda asked, her heart catching in her throat.

“He went to the house to take a shower,” Brian answered, “I didn’t tell him you were coming.” He licked his lips again, desperate for moisture on them. “I didn’t think it was quite the right time yet.”

Amanda nodded. She turned back to looking at the photograph he’d handed her, her heart aching for so many different reasons. “Brian?” she asked.

“Yes?” he said.

She held up the photograph, “Did you tell Nick about your something beautiful?”

Brian shook his head, “No,” he said, “You are.”

“What?” she asked, blinking up at him in surprise, “Me? How? He won’t even speak to me.”

Brian smiled, “In your article. You’ll tell him in your article.”

“You know he’s going to treasure this,” Amanda whispered, “Knowing this answer.”

Brian nodded, smiling to himself. “Yeah. When you tell him, I know exactly how he’ll react. I can see it in my mind, just like I’m there.” His eyes seemed far away as he watched in his mind’s eye. “He’s going to look at it, and you’ll tell him, and he’ll get that smile on his face – you know the one I mean? And he’ll toss his head back and laugh because it was so simple of an answer, so obvious. Then he’ll agree, and he’ll keep it forever.” Brian’s eyes returned to the now and looked at Amanda, meeting hers. “I know it, because that’s just how Nick is.”

Amanda smiled. “Yeah, it is.” She held out the photograph for Brian, “Here.”

“What’re you doing?” Brian asked.

“Giving it back to you?” Amanda felt confused.

Brian shook his head, “No. You’re showing it to him, remember?” Brian smiled, “I have faith in ya’ll. Really. Seriously. Just –“ he looked at the photograph carefully from where it was suspended from her fingers. “Be careful with it. There was only one copy.”

Amanda nodded. “I’ll guard it with my life, Brian,” she promised. She opened her bag and pulled out a book, which she slid the photograph into the center of. She studied Brian for just the slightest of seconds. “He’s never going to forget you, you know,” Amanda said slowly, “And neither am I.”

Brian reached out a hand and laid it gently on her cheek. She was surprised by how cold his skin had become in his hands, how much his wrists shook. She laid her hand over his, part of her instinctively wanting to warm him. “Thank you,” he whispered, “For everything.”
Chapter One by Pengi
Nick held Amanda’s hand.

The ocean stretched before them into the distance. The wind whipped around them, cold and unforgiving. They’d arrived in Maine that morning at 4:00 AM and the only thing they had done before coming to the ocean was put down the keys in the cabin that stood behind them, in the trees. The water roared and crashed against the rocky jetty in front of them. Nick squeezed her hand tighter, and they just stood, side by side, staring at it.

There were, of course, a million things they could say to each other, but somehow it seemed better quiet, Nick thought. Almost like they were listening for something. Or maybe someone.

Amanda turned to look at him, a sad smile on her face, and tears streaming down her cheeks.

They had left from Atlanta, after the funeral, and driven up the coast as the original plan had detailed. They’d stopped and taken pictures in Raleigh and Virginia, New Jersey, New York City, Niagra Falls, Vermont, New Hampshire, and now northern Maine. So far up that there was a threat of snow forecast for that night, despite the heat they’d left behind in Geogria.

Nick held the camera up and snapped a picture of the ocean – the last piece of the puzzle. “Okay,” he said quietly.

They walked back toward the cabin, Amanda picking her way over the sand in her bare feet, having kicked her shoes off at the end of the boarded walk that led to the cabin they were sharing. Nick noticed her struggling not to step on broken shells or rocks, and quickly scooped her up in his arms, carrying her toward the walkway. She wrapped her arms around his neck, clinging to him. The weight of her body felt good, and real, against his chest, and he absorbed the feeling, enjoying it the same way she’d always enjoyed his scent.

“It feels like he’s here, doesn’t it?” Amanda asked, staring at the water over Nick’s shoulder as he carried her, “Like he’s right here.”

Nick nodded slowly, fighting emotion. He’d become a blubbering fool, he thought, ever since the night Brian had died. Before, he had hardly ever cried. He’d been like steel. But that was because he’d had Brian. Brian had always been Nick’s backbone.

They reached the cabin, Nick only just managing to contain the feelings inside of him, and went inside. It was getting dark already, as autumn was in full effect and the days were shorter. Amanda turned on the lights and Nick went out to get their things out of the car. He made two trips into the cabin, one with the luggage and duffle bags they’d packed and one with the box of pictures, notes, and miscellaneous stuff. It was a box full of memories, a box that Nick had gotten to referring to as “the box of Brian” in a reverent tone.

They made coffee and sandwiches and sat down on the floor in the living room of the cabin. Nick put the box down next to the squat coffee table they were sitting at. He pulled the box closer to his side than hers and gazed into it, already feeling the depths of him beginning to stir. It all sat there before him, like a giant blur of the past. In a funny way, he felt like he could identify with the phrase ‘my life flashed before my eyes’.

“You’re sure you’re ready?” Amanda asked cautiously.

Nick nodded. “If not now, then never. It’s the last night before we have to go back to ‘real life’ and figure out what that even is now…” he licked his lips and took a deep breath. “Besides, its just time.”

Amanda reached over and patted his hand gently, reassuringly. If it was this hard on her, she could only imagine how terrifyingly awful it must’ve been on Nick. She watched, both afraid and proud, as he reached a shaking hand into the box and pulled out the old worn journal.

Brian’s journal was dark brown leather, with intricate stitch detail around the edge that didn’t compromise its simple look. Leather strands bound it closed from the spine, wrapping twice around it before being tied off in a knot. The pages, even from the outside, looked worn – they’d been made that way to start, and they’d been well used as well. Ink splotches darkened their edges in various places, and a fair amount of water damage had pulled part of the top corner of the leather away from the lining. Nick ran his hands over the cover of it, admiring its battered state.

”Brian wanted you to have these,” Leighanne had said, handing both the journal and his Bible into Nick’s hands. She smiled sadly, her fingers running across the burgundy cover of the Bible. “Just promise me you’ll never get rid of it, okay?”

“I won’t,” Nick promised.

Leighanne had nodded and gone to find Baylee, whose little black suit was going to get ruined if she didn’t change him – as was her make-up, if she didn’t distract herself from the pained look of sadness that rested in Nick’s eyes. She was sure it had reflected in her own.


“He used it well,” Amanda observed, watching Nick’s hand move over the smooth leather.

“Yeah, he did,” Nick agreed, smiling. He could picture Brian sitting on a rock in the bottom of the Grand Canyon with a pen, his Bible precariously balanced on one knee and the journal on the other.

Carefully, he laid the journal down on the coffee table between them and his fingers clasped the end of the leather string that held the book closed. It hadn’t been untied since Brian had last closed it, Nick realized, looking at the way it had been knotted. It was definitely the work of his best friend’s hands and no one else’s. The realization made him hesitate, like by undoing it he’d be trespassing into something sacred.

Brian, however, had told Nick what this journal was.

Nick pulled the string ever so softly, and felt the knot break. Inside him, he felt his heart begin to race. Everything that was left for Brian to say to him was right here in his hands. Once it was done, he would never hear from Brian again.

The thought that Brian’s voice was silenced killed him. It was the strangest feeling, really, because there was no silencing Brian, no erasing him from the face of the earth. Too many videos and recordings existed. Half their memories were on tape somewhere. Nick could literally see Brian anytime he wanted with just a few clicks of his computer mouse. Usually, when someone died, they were gone forever and the moments that are on camera are few and precious.

To Nick, it was those that had never been caught on film that were precious. The ones that couldn’t be conveyed by pixels on a screen, no matter how “high resolution” they were.

Brian’s words had always meant the most to him. Whether written or spoken, they were always sincere and strangely other. They could’ve belonged to no one else except Brian because only Brian spoke the way he did. It was hard for Nick to explain to anyone what he meant when he said that nobody could talk to him like Brian did. It wasn’t about the accent – although he missed that, too – or the skill of the actual exchange, as Kevin had thought when Nick had tried to explain it. It was his actual speaking style. It was the words he said – his vocabulary itself at times– and the words he left out.

And these, Nick thought, looking at his hands clutching the journal, are the last of them.

He looked up at Amanda, who smiled a tiny little smile.

And then Nick opened the journal to the first page. Brian’s tight, cramped, all-capitals hand writing filled the page, and Nick smiled at it.

Nick could’ve started right from page one and read straight through. Eventually, he knew, he would. But tonight – for this purpose, Brian had left a specific entry. Nick dug through the pages until he found the one without any pictures or notes tucked in, just as Brian had described it…
Journal Entry by Pengi
Hallo, buddy.

It feels strange writing you a letter that I don’t intend to give you until after. Writing words for someone when you can never add to them or subtract from them is a scary feeling, I must say. I feel as though I need to be extremely clear or else some part of this will be lost forever. But what I have to tell you today is important, and if you’re reading this now, then it is more important that you know these things than it ever was before.

Nick, I don’t know how I died, obviously. I don’t know who was with me or where I was or how traumatizing or quick or any of that it was. But if I hurt you in my dying, if you are in any way feeling as though you are to blame or anything like that, you listen to me, okay? You were the driving force that kept me going for so long. If you hadn’t done all the things you did, I would’ve died in a hospital bed hooked up to some chemotherapy thing or in an Intensive Care Unit in a coma. Because of you, I had the bravery to choose to leave, to experience life, and to be with my family.

So no matter what Kevin or anyone else thinks or says, you saved me.

I can’t imagine what you’re going through. I have spent countless hours trying to put myself into your shoes, to try to figure out what to say to you to make it better, to stop the pain you feel. But when I imagined what I would have felt if our situations were reversed, if it was me losing you… G’Lord, Frack, I couldn’t do it. You’re being so strong and I’d be so weak. But I did think of a few things, little things, that maybe will help to ease the pain, and hopefully will bring some smiles.

I don’t want to be remembered with tears; that was the whole point of opting out of the treatment. I wanted Baylee to be happy when he thought of his daddy, and I want Leighanne to know she had a husband who stood by her as long as he could. I want you to know that your best friend had the time of his life with you on his way out.

Over the past couple months, we made incredible memories, Nick. But we already had a lot of really great ones up our sleeves, didn’t we? Frick & Frack forever, man! I mean we really had some great times together, and they’re treasures to me. I can only pray they’re treasures to you, also.

So c’mon, Frack… let’s do this. Let’s remember it all like it was yesterday, huh?
Chapter Two by Pengi
Do you remember the first time we met in the airport in Orlando, Nick? I think if anyone had told us we'd end up being best friends that day, neither one of us would've believed it. We were so different, it was incredible. I remember looking at you and thinking you were a little punk kid, and... what was the term you used for me again? ...I still laugh whenever I think of it. Do you remember it, Nick?



Nick smiled, "I can't believe he's bringing this up," he laughed, turning red.

Amanda smirked at the expression on Nick's face. Brian had known his questions would stir Nick's memory and, in the process, help him to heal from the loss. Brian, Amanda realized, was a very wise man. "What did you call him?" she asked, leaning over the table to see the journal entry as Nick laid the book down on the surface and turned to the box, digging.

"I called him a Country Bumpkin," Nick cracked up, his eyes squinting with the laughter.

Amanda's smile grew, "A what?" she asked, giggling, "What on earth is a Country Bumpkin?"

Nick's face was glowing as he withdrew an old, mangled looking Polaroid from the bottom of the box. He stared at it, his face reddening as he laughed silently, unable to even get the laughter out of him he was so overcome by it. "This," he answered, tossing the picture on to the table.

Amanda picked it up carefully, and looked down at the picture. It was taken by God knows who, and featured all five of the Backstreet Boys in their youngest stages. Kevin, Nick, Howie and AJ were gathered around a young, smiling version of Brian, who was wearing farmer jeans, a blue t-shirt, Nike sneakers, and a Kentucky Wildcats hat, which sat just a little crooked on his head. Amanda felt her laughter erupt from her chest, "Oh my God," she exclaimed.

"Right?" Nick laughed, too.

"He looks like a freaking Cabbage Patch Kid," Amanda wheezed.

Nick laughed all the harder at this, and he only just managed to squeak out, "He claims he never dressed like that at home, but - I dunno. It was just so bizarre. I mean, Kevin made Brian sound so cool when he was telling him about his cousin that could come sing with us. I was so excited. For like a week before Brian came I stayed up during the nights preparing myself with topics to talk about in the car ride back to Kev's apartment. I wanted to be as cool as Kevin's cousin. Then we get to the airport, and that walks off the plane..." He shook his head, "I was so pissed."

Amanda snorted. "Pissed? Why were you pissed?"

"Because!" Nick yelped in a voice that he knew mimicked that of his 13-year old self with the bruised expectations, "He was so not what he was built up to be. I'd thought of him to be like some hip person, like Kurt Cobain or something. Instead I get good Christian boy in farmer jeans..." Nick smirked, "I was so mean to him...."

"You look so innocent," she laughed, looking at the blonde hair and brilliant blue eyes of the 13 year-old Nick Carter. "And by the way, your clothes weren't a hell of a lot better than his..." she held up the picture, pointing at Nick's hideous plaid sweatshirt top, which hung loose and down almost to his knees. Under it, he had on a pair of shorts, which only barely peeked out from under the plaid monstrosity. His bony legs ended in gym socks that covered his shins and a pair of sneakers.

Nick snickered, "At least mine was a look that specifies a time. The only thing Brian's outfit specifies is a farm."

Amanda smiled, running her hand across the photo. "How did you two become friends if you were such at odds when you first met?"

"Well," Nick's cheeks turned pink, "It happened because of bubble gum."

"Bubble gum?" Amanda raised her eyebrows, "Okay. Please, do tell."

Nick took a deep breath. "Wait, I gotta see if the picture's in here. If I know him, he'll have it here." Nick dove into the box and pulled out a rubber banded group of photos from the bottom. He yanked the rubber band off and started shuffling through them quickly, passing memories he was certain Brian would bring up. Then he found it, and he stared at it, snickering a moment, "Oh man," he muttered, "My mom was so pissed, too." He handed the picture to Amanda.

It was a picture of Nick sitting on the floor in a messy-looking apartment. Under him was a towel, covered with blonde locks. On his knees beside him, tongue out in concentration, was Brian, wielding a pair of scissors, his hands holding up a clump of Nick's hair away from his head. Nick's face was pained and nervous, Brian's deep concentration.

"He was chewing this gum," Nick said, "And trying to blow the world's biggest bubble..."

"Oh my God, no," whispered Amanda, feeling her stomach twist with the impending laughter, "No. He didn't."

"It got stuck in my hair," Nick said, "And it wouldn't come out. We washed it like five times and Brian had tried pulling it and everything and it wasn't coming out. So he got the bright idea to 'trim it out'."

Amanda felt like she couldn't breathe as she tried desperately to hold in the loud burst of laughter that was threatening to come flying out of her at any second. "How bad was it?"

"Bad." Nick answered, "Really, really, REALLY bad."

She covered her mouth, dissolving into the humor. "How," she wheezed out, "Did that make you become best friends?"

"Because," Nick said, "When I had to show my mom, Brian took the full responsibility. Which doesn't sound like much - considering it was his fault - but my parents were really scary, and they would've been so pissed at me for that, like I can't even tell you how pissed." Nick smiled, "Brian told them he did it when I was sleeping."

Amanda laughed, smiling back, "Aw. Just so you wouldn't get in trouble?"

"Yeah," Nick's eyes were sad now. "He was always good like that."

Amanda nodded. "He was a great guy."

Nick's eyes were misting up, "Shit, you know, I still can't believe he's gone."

"Me, either," Amanda whispered.

Nick shook his head as he sifted through the pictures in his hands. "We were such a trip." He laughed, "Look at this one." Amanda took it. It was Brian and Nick, hugging each other around the shoulders, ski caps on their heads - Brian's embroidered with "FRICK", Nick's with "FRACK". Amanda laughed. "AJ's mom made them for us because once we'd become friends, we were more inseparable than the gum had been from my hair."

"Nice," Amanda grinned at the picture. Their faces were lined with so much happiness. There was something about the spirits captured there that could never, ever be explained. The lines around Brian's eyes as he squinted and grinned - the creases in Nick's forehead as his eyes danced under raised eyebrows... She wondered what it would've been like to know these youthful, carefree versions of the men that she'd come to think of as her boys. "You guys are amazing," she said, handing the picture back.

Nick smiled, "How do you mean?"

"Just... the spirit you two possess," she answered, "The energy, the love. I don't know how to describe it. It's not something that can be understood or explained, it's something you have to see." Amanda smiled at him, "But Brian was right, it's beautiful. It's amazing the way images can capture it... like it was so strong that even digitalizing it kept it pure, made it tangible. Incredible."
Chapter Three by Pengi
One of my favorite "BSB" memories, Nick, we shared together. Well, almost all of them we did, but this one was really special. I'm sure you can guess it. You're probably already smiling, huh? Remember the first time we heard ourselves on the radio? In K-Mart? And that poor lady that was on the aisle there? Hey, did we ever pay them for that broken shelf? I can't remember. I don't think we did. Ah well. That poor K-Mart went through more crap because of us. And what was the name of that employee? The one that kicked us out? We made fun of him forever. Damn, I can't remember his name. You'll have to remind me one day.



"It was Bilbo," Nick said, laughing.

"You got kicked out of a K-Mart? By Bilbo?" Amanda giggled, “How? K-Mart should be renamed Ghetto Mart, I thought it was impossible to be too weird for them.”

“No, trust me,” Nick’s smile spread. “Okay, so we’re in K-Mart, me and Bri, right? I’m like 14, maybe? He was like 19. It’s in Florida. We just released our song We’ve Got it Going On. So we’re still kind of no-namers, yanno? We can go wherever and do whatever, no one has any freaking idea who we are –“

“You’re normal in other words,” she laughed.

“Well,” Nick laughed, “Relatively speaking, I guess. I don’t think any of us were ever really ‘normal’ by the normal, human standard.”

Amanda smirked, “That’s probably true. What I’ve seen of the guys they’re pretty crazy.” She rested her arm against the coffee table. “Well? C’mon, tell me about this memory. What happened? How did the shelf break?”

Nick’s grin was gigantic – it covered his entire face and made his eyes glow. “Okay, so we were looking for some stuff for Brian’s apartment. Like stupid boring stuff, you know, toilet bowl brushes and paper towel holders. His mom was coming to visit and they hadn’t really done much to the place so he didn’t want her freaking out. So we’re in the housegoods department and Brian’s looking at this set of curtain towel rings that were shaped like a monkey and we were making fun of it. There was this lady next to him trying to get a normal looking set, but getting annoyed because we were loud and stuff. Then I heard it… I mean the start of that song is really recognizable, you know? Have you heard that song?” Nick tilted his head at her.

Amanda tried to think back. The first Backstreet Boys single she really remembered was Quit Playing Games, she’d always thought that was their first single. “I- I don’t think so,” she admitted sheepishly.

Nick laughed, “It’s okay, you’re my girlfriend not my fan, I didn’t expect you to. Anyways, it starts up with Brian singing, Everybooody groove to the muuusic, everybooooody jaaaaaam…. Then it like breaks into the actual beat, and again it’s really recognizable. Anyways- So we’re on the toilet brush aisle and the lady and stuff, ok? So the song comes on. I hear it. Everybooooody groove to the muuuusic, right? And I’m like ‘BRIAN ITS US! ITS US!’ and JUMP on him, right?”

Amanda started laughing, picturing Nick being small enough to jump on Brian, without squashing him.

“And Brian falls into the shelf and tries to catch it to keep from falling down, and the whole shelf, I’m not kidding you, breaks. Like the whole length of the aisle. I dunno, it must’ve been loose to start because I mean even with Brian’s full strength on it I’m thinking it should’ve been able to handle it. But the whole length of the aisle the shelf comes down. Stuff is like everywhere and that lady’s just like gaping mouthed at us and the shelf and the stuff and she’s like ‘teenagers have no respect these days!’ all pissed… and Brian’s like ‘ma’m – this song on the radio? That’s us! That’s us! We’re the Backstreet Boys!’ and she’s looking at him like what the fuck, right? And Brian’s like ‘remember us okay? We’re gonna be famous some day!’ and I’m like ‘fuck yeah!’ and we’re jumping on each other in the middle of the avalanche of toilet bowl brushes and broken shelf parts and tooth brush holders and everything, just screaming and hugging and jumping…”

Amanda was literally in tears from laughing so hard.

Nick wiped his own eyes and gasped, “And then this K-Mart employee guy comes running around the corner – Bilbo – cos he heard the crash and he’s investigating, right? So he’s standing there by the end cap things, looking down the aisle at the broken shelf and merchandise and the pissed off lady and two lunatic teens jumping and screaming ‘there’s us, there’s us’ at the top of our lungs, pointing up at the stereo speaker over head…”

“Oh my God, the image this provokes in my mind is priceless,” Amanda gasped.

Nick started rummaging through the box again. “Where is it, it’s gotta be in here, I just know it…” He found it, and started laughing, I knew it. I knew it.” He looked at Amanda, his hands still hidden in the box, his tongue sticking out and resting on his lower lip as he grinned, “Okay, so Bilbo comes whipping over and grabs us both by the elbows and brings us up front and out the door onto the sidewalk,” Nick’s face crinkled, “And he’s like bitching about how they don’t let people act like that in the store, because it’s miscreant conduct and how he’s sorry but they’d appreciate it if we could take our business else where – and Brian kept trying to interrupt him, but he wouldn’t listen, so finally he goes back inside, asking us not to go back in,” Nick withdrew his hand from the box, “And Brian says to me… ‘what do you think I should do about this?’” Nick dropped the box of monkey-shaped shower curtain rings on the table.

Amanda doubled over, face to the carpet, “Oh my God, Brian’s a shoplifter!”

Nick cracked up and pointed at the little fading white price tag on the box, “No, because he counted out three dollars and ninety eight cents and put it in an envelope and mailed it to them with a letter the next day.”

“Brian would so do that,” Amanda laughed.

Nick was laughing so hard he thought he’d never stop again, imagining the look on Brian’s face when he held up the box of little plastic monkeys. “He freaked out the entire way back to the apartment over the fact that he’d shoplifted. ‘I’ve never committed a crime before,’ was all he kept saying. And then like this cop comes up behind us, his blue lights flashing, and Brian like tweaked, he like grabs the monkeys out of my hands as he’s pulling over to the side and he shoves them under his seat. And the cop whizzes by, of course, because he’s after whatever he’s after, and Brian’s like shaking, and he puts his head on the steering wheel and he’s like ‘Oh good Lord I’ll never steal anything ever, ever, ever, ever, ever again, I promise!’”

“Ohh, you guys are insane,” she laughed, “I can’t believe you could possibly have anything crazier than that behind you.”

Nick smirked, “Ah… Amanda… you have much to learn about me.”
Chapter Four by Pengi
There were a lot of memories that we shared after that first time the single played on the radio. We were so crazy, so young. Nothing seemed to slow us down, ever. Remember those pictures Andre took of us being Beavis & Butthead in the restaurant with the chopsticks? That was so funny. How about the time when you adopted that squirrel you found and Kevin got mad at me for letting you sneak it in and I had no clue! Or that time we went bra shopping??

Ah, Nick, I love the little things like that, the memories that I can’t quite place when they were on a timeline. Like “did that happen before or after this?” Who knows! It just all runs together kind of. But then there are the bigger moments, the ones that I definitely know exactly when they were…

I know it’s always bothered you when I talk about my surgery. I know you always have felt guilty for not coming, but Nick what I never told you was that I understood. It hurt, but I understood. I wouldn’t have been able to be there if it was you. I had Leighanne, and that experience was one of the many that bound us the way we are. If you and the fellas had been there, I may never have ended up marrying my beautiful angel.

So I don’t want you to feel guilty about that anymore. I’ve tried a hundred times to tell you not to, but you’ve never listened to me. But Nick… I never told you, but a nurse told me your secret. And knowing that… well, it meant the world to me.




Amanda looked up at Nick, her face solemn. “You didn’t go when he had the surgery?” she asked, her throat constricting. She imagined Brian, alone and wondering where his friends were, and the weight that must’ve been on Leighanne’s shoulders to be the only one there with him.

Nick’s eyes were hazed with tears. He was biting his lips and his arms were wrapped around his body. He rocked slightly. “I- I wish I had it to do over again,” he whispered, “I’d be there this time.”

“You were there this time,” Amanda said, laying her hand on Nick’s knee. “Brian told me you slept in the room with him at Grady, on a cot.”

Nick looked up at Amanda and frowned. “It was scary. The whole thing with Brian’s heart. I mean we were doing tour rehearsals and he just suddenly… dropped. He was just all pale and clammy and the next thing I knew, Kevin’s telling us he’s needing heart surgery.”

Amanda sighed, “That poor guy went through so much.”

“Our manager didn’t want him to leave the tour,” Nick said, shaking his head with a bitter laugh. “His exact words to Brian were, ‘Your heart will still be bad when we’re done with the tour’.”

Amanda gasped, “That’s so…” she paused at the irony of the word she was about to use, “Heartless.”

Nick nodded, “Yeah. Brian got so upset. He walked out. He just left. I mean literally, he walked off the tour. There were a few days when we were wondering if he would come back, or be allowed to come back. I mean management was talking about suing him for breaking contracts and the whole nine yards…” he shook his head. “It was really bad. Everyone was on pins and needles, we were all tense, you know? And when Brian had the actual surgery… I don’t know, we were all so confused and scared, we just… didn’t go.” He paused. “Even Kevin.”

Amanda shook her head. “They wanted to sue him?” she sighed, “That’s ridiculous, they never—“ she was about to say ‘never would’ve won’, but in Hollywood, she’d found out more than once with the stories she covered for Pop Stuff Online, that it didn’t matter the situation – it mattered whose pockets were deeper for their lawyer’s hands to roam.

Nick stared at his fingertips. He didn’t tell Amanda the things going through his mind now. But he could remember taking the flight and the cab to the hospital, worrying all the way, clutching a book of Madlibs and a Sports Illustrated magazine, a stuffed basket ball under his arm. The cab had dropped him off in front of the hospital’s main enterance, and he’d gone inside, crossed the big lobby and asked for Brian’s room. He’d been escorted to the floor, and explained where from there. He’d inched along the corridor until he was standing just around the corner from the door, staring at it. He could hear Leighanne’s voice echoing out, though hushed enough that he couldn’t tell what she was saying, and he could hear the low, gasping mumbles that had to have been his best friend.

“Can I help you?” a nurse had come up behind him.

He’d jumped a mile, and turned to look at her, panic in his eyes, and shook his head. “No, no. I’m uh, I’m lost.” He hesitated. “No, actually, I’m not. I’m scared.” He glanced over his shoulder at the room behind him. His mom had no idea he was here. He’d snuck off. She was going to kill him when he got home. He looked at the basket ball and the two books. He shoved them into the nurse’s hands. “Can you give these to Brian?” he asked, pointing at the door.

“You can go ahead in if you’d like, visiting hours are –“

Nick shook his head, “I can’t. Please just give’em to him. Tell him –“ he paused, “Tell him they’re from a fan.” Then he’d run back to the elevator, heart pounding in his chest.

He’d believed, for all these years, that Brian had never known he was there. But now, glancing into the cardboard box, he saw the corner of it. He reached and pulled out the copy of Madlibs he’d brought to Brian. He stared at it, feeling his throat tighten.

“Madlibs,” Amanda said, smiling, “I love that game.”

Nick opened the top cover and saw the first page:

Word bank:
1. Your favorite color: blue
2. Your hometown: Lexington
3. Your best friend: Nick Carter

Chapter Five by Pengi
Amanda was carrying the plates that had held the sandwiches back to the kitchen, planning to start the dishwasher while she was out there. Nick was looking through the MadLibs book still, reading all the stories Brian had made. After a couple minutes of her being in the kitchen, though, Nick closed the book and put it on the coffee table, using the couch he’d been leaning against to get up.

Amanda was bent over the dishwasher when he got in the kitchen. She looked up at him and smiled sadly. He went up behind her and as she stood up, she found herself in a hug from behind. She smiled and rested her palms on his arms. “I never thought I’d be here,” he whispered into her ear, looking out at the ocean through the window.

She knew he didn’t mean in Maine, because he’d been there before, and she was pretty certain he didn’t mean with his arms wrapped around her in a kitchen because that, too, had been done. Rather, he meant in a world without Brian.

“You’re doing really well,” she commended him, “Dealing with it all.”

“Yeah, I guess.”

“Brian would’ve been proud of you,” she said. She turned to look up at him instead of being backed into him. Amanda wrapped her arms around Nick’s neck and stared up at him. “He said so himself in that journal – how strong you are.”

Nick shrugged. “I don’t feel very strong.”

“The fact that you’re still here speaks volumes,” she whispered.

A smile – a tiny one – spread across Nick’s face. He sighed and kissed Amanda’s forehead. “Yanno, when he first got sick, I had this really weird idea…”

“What idea was that?”

Nick drew a deep breath, “Well when they told him he needed chemo, his greatest worry at first was his hair. He was sitting there in a hospital bed, right, and he’s all sick and stuff, and we’re waiting for Leighanne to get there, and he looks at me and he goes, ‘Chemotherapy.. that’s the one that makes you puke and your hair falls out, right? Like the guy in Dying Young?’ and I told him yeah, I thought so, and he’s like, ‘I don’t wanna be bald.’”

Amanda smiled sadly, “Aww…”

“I mean of all things to be worried about at that point, right?” Nick laughed through tears, “But I told myself that when he lost his hair, I was gonna shave my head, so we were bald together.”

Amanda’s throat tightened. The gesture was simple enough, it wasn’t huge, it was just something small – but it was one of the things that had contributed to Brian’s something beautiful. Here was living proof that Nick would’ve done anything for Brian. She looked up at him. “You’re sweet,” she whispered.

Nick closed his eyes and hugged her tighter to him. “I’m glad I can tell someone this stuff,” he said, resting his chin on her head.

Amanda’s ear rested against his chest and she listened as his heart throbbed inside of him, the lullaby of his blood pressure like a song. She closed her eyes, too, and they stood there in the kitchen. He listened to her breathing, and she listened to his heartbeat.
Chapter Six by Pengi
Nick got up in the middle of the night, unable to sleep. He felt restless. Amanda groaned as he rolled out of bed, but he leaned over, kissed her forehead, and whispered, "I'll be right back, baby," and she fell back to sleep, smiling.

He pulled on a t-shirt as he descended the stairs, wearing pajama pants and a pair of dirty socks. Outside, despite it being 3:14AM, the air was brilliant white and he pressed his face against the window to see little snow flakes falling down from the sky like they were in a snow globe. He stopped in the living room to grab Brian's journal, shoved his feet into his sneakers, and grabbed his jacket from a pile of stuff he and Amanda had taken out of their bags but never put away.

Nick walked down the path to the ocean, buttoning up his jacket, and staring at the moon. When he got to the beach, he stopped walking a moment to stare at the contrast of summer sand and winter weather as the flakes of snow danced along the tan sand dunes. He smiled to himself, and lowered down to sit on the very end of the wooden boardwalk that led from the cabin to the beach. Brian's journal rested on his lap and he shoved his fists deep into his pockets, rocking himself slightly by folding forward, and wiggling his toes in his sneakers and socks and watching his breath come out in thick white puffs of smoke, which hovered before vaporizing and fading away.

After a few moments of just enjoying the cold, Nick took his hands out of his pockets and opened Brian's journal back up. He opened to the page he and Amanda had stopped on, but somehow felt like that wasn't what he was after. Holding the place with the leather strap that held the book closed, he opened the front cover at page one and started flickering through the pages.

He caught glimpses of Brian's private life as he flicked, not fully reading anything, but his eyes lighting on keywords and phrases. There was a lot about Leighanne and Baylee in there, obviously, but there was also Bible verses and song lyrics that Brian had never shared with them. Nick paused on a page that he'd written a poem on.

The poem had no title and no date. Nick glanced at the entry prior to the poem, and saw it was dated two weeks before he'd been diagnosed, and the entry after it was the day before he'd been diagnosed. Somewhere in between, Brian had written this poem:

I am selfish.
I keep the world.
I could give so much and yet
I hold too tight.
I am self-centered.
I focus only on me.
I could save the world and yet
I am scared to move.
I know nothing.
I have stood for no truth.
I preach and plead, and yet
I demonstrate nothing.
I am fake.
I promise prayer.
I wait for God to move hearts that
I could touch instead.
I am doing it now.
I am being selfish right now.
I complain about my self-centeredness and yet
I have started each sentence with "I".

"You weren't selfish Brian," Nick mumbled, running his fingers across the words on the page. He gnawed his lips, staring down at the last couple words of the poem. He shook his head. Brian didn't seriously believe he was selfish, did he? Nick wondered, almost angry with him for thinking such a thing.

If he was still alive, Nick would've called him and yelled at him.

"You aren't selfish, you dumbass," Nick would've shouted. "Don't you remember the night we gave out all those sandwiches and blankets? Don't you remember the time you paid rent for six months for that random woman on the street? Don't you remember buying prescriptions for old people all day at a pharmacy after you saw an old woman cry that she couldn't get her medicine? Don't you remember all the times you rescued me from my home when I lived with my parents? All the times you fed me and gave me a bed? Don't you remember the fan that you paid for their daughter's heart operation because they had no insurance? Don't you remember all the charity work you've done? All the prayers you've answered? All the times you stood up for someone or hugged someone or just stopped, when you had no energy left, to sign autographs for fans because ten minutes out of your life would be one of their greatest memories?"

Nick sighed and looked up at the stars as they sparkled overhead. "Brian, you were anything but selfish," he muttered again into the darkness. He leaned down and picked at the toe of his shoe. "The most frustrating part, Bri," he said to the emptiness around him, "Is that I can't even tell you that you're stupid for thinking you're selfish. I can't even assure you that you aren't." A piece of the rubber came off the shoe and he dropped it into the sand and swished the sand around under his fingertips.

Snow was collecting around him. It was getting colder. He stood up and tucked the journal under his arm and stared out at the water.

The sun was starting to rise, forming a golden glow on the horizon, as though he were staring at the gates of Heaven.

The craziest idea overcame him, pouring from a memory... Quickly, Nick unbuttoned and shimmied out of his jacket, wrapping Brian's journal inside to protect it from the snow, and kicked off his sneakers and socks, leaving them discarded by the boardwalk.

Nick ran, barefoot, in pajama pants and an unmatching top, to the very edge of the water, and stared out across the dark blue ocean, squinting into the horizon. He laughed, remembering the first time Brian had seen the ocean.

"I lived in Kentucky," he said, "My whole life I've lived in Kentucky. I've never been to the ocean."

"So what? Don't they got oceans in Kentucky?" Geography had never been Nick's strong point.

Brian shook his head, "No, actually, they don't."

Nick had blinked in shock and horror. "What kind of place is that?!" he yelled, "C'mon dude, you gotta see the ocean! Let's go!"

So they'd gone to the beach. Brian and Nick had run across the sand to the ocean, and stood with the tide licking their toes and stared out across it. Brian's face had been paled with awe and shock and surprise. "It's big," he whispered.

"I think it goes on forever," said Nick, who'd never been across it at that point.

"It certainly looks it," said Brian.

"Like in the Chronicles of Narnia," Nick said, "In the end of the Voyage of the Dawn Treader, when the mouse goes to die."

Brian nodded, he remembered the scene well. Reepicheep had been one of his favorite characters of the series, and he'd cried as a child reading about Reepicheep's voyage to Aslan's shores... He squinted. "Reepicheep sailed to Heaven," he said, "Not just to die, but to Heaven."

Nick looked at Brian. "Really?" he asked.

Brian nodded, "In Narnia... Heaven is only across the ocean."


Nick stared out at the water, imagining he could almost see it from there. Though he knew the glow he was staring at was only from the slow ascent of the sun, far in the distance, he felt a warmth come over him that made him smile through the tears on his face.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10184