Fear Of Flying by Karen
Summary: Oh, Death, oh Death, oh Death,
Won't you spare me over til another year

But what is this, that I cant see
with ice cold hands taking hold of me

When God is gone and the Devil takes hold,
who will have mercy on your soul

Oh, Death, oh Death, oh Death,

No wealth, no ruin, no silver, no gold
Nothing satisfies me but your soul

Oh, Death,
Well I am Death, none can excel,
I'll open the door to heaven or hell.

Oh, Death, oh Death,
my name is Death and the end is here...

Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Brian, Nick
Genres: Alternate Universe
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 1286 Read: 4903 Published: 08/26/10 Updated: 08/26/10
Story Notes:
My response to this August challenge.

It does not have to be backstreet boys
It has to have a Llama in the story
It has to have something about peanut butter in the story
It has to be no longer then 12 chapters

1. Chapter 1 by Karen

2. Chapter 2 by Karen

3. Chapter 3 by Karen

Chapter 1 by Karen
Staring down at the side of the building, he figured he was at least fifty stories up from the ground. He blinked carefully and the ambulance pulling in for a quick stop became clearer. Two paramedics immediately rushed out of the vehicle and over towards the dying. He continued to survey the accident. He squatted down enough to sit at the edge, his long legs hanging over with his arms crossed about his chest. All he had to do was wait. It would only be a matter of time before he would have a job to do.

The minutes slowly ticked by and eventually time was up. An hour had passed and he was forced to move on. Up from his perch, he walked to the other side of the skyscraper and peered over the metal railing. Thankfully it was a dark alley and he easily stepped off the edge. Landing with a soft thud, he made his way down the dark corridor - just wanting to add distance between himself and the busy accident scene. Anger was building from the ground up as he thought about who could have possibly wasted his time. It was obvious something had interfered with his task.

As the sights and sounds of a hectic Friday evening grew dimmer, his piercing blue eyes scanned the area in front of him. He could sense that a new job was landing on his door step. Moving to the shadows, he took one silent step after another until he saw the homeless man in front of him. Blood was slowly spreading across the front of the tattered flannel shirt. The weathered fingers of the old man were gripping at it tightly, obviously hoping that the inevitable wouldn't happen. Stepping closer, it was perfectly clear that this man had been wanted for something. For what reason, that was unknown and nobody's concern at the moment. Reaching out his hands, he watched the bleeding human shutter away. It was a normal reaction, humans shying away from the unknown. Every single one of them could feel him close though. There skin would crawl and a cold chill would send shivers down their spine.

"Please...God...not today," The homeless man begged.

As he reached out from the shadows to place a hand on the dying man's forehead, he muttered, "I am not God."
Chapter 2 by Karen
The bright lights of the Emergency Room hung a few feet about his head and if he was human they would have illuminated his whole body. Yet, he walked down the hallway with ease, passing each human without a second glance. His destination was the fourth room in the pediatric ward. Humans would call him cruel and attempt to damn him to hell. Since the creation of time, death had been part of the living circle - nothing any human can say will change that.

His heavy boots didn't make a sound as he continued on through the hospital. The brightly colored number that he was looking for was just off to his left and it was less a few seconds before he stood in the door way. The sight was as expected. A weeping mother, a pacing father and a child curled up on the bed frightened about what may happen next. His eyes scanned over the rest of the room and spotted a few overnight bags underneath the bed. On the tray table, there was a half eaten peanut butter sandwich that had been cut in some odd shape.

"Let me save this one."

His head perked up and he saw a familiar mousy haired man suddenly appear at the foot of the child's bed. It was enough to smear a look of hatred across his pale face. Angels, always trying to save the humans.

"No." His statement was simple and to the point, the Angel should have expected it.

The Angel moved closer to him and shook his head. "Don't take this child simply because you didn't get to take the two yesterday."

"They were on the list," He sneered at the Angel.

"The list was meant to be edited."
Chapter 3 by Karen
He had been in some unfavorable locations to get the job done, but this might make the top five on his list. The field grass was green and short which made locating the dung easier. For acres, llamas were mindlessly lingering. As much as he disliked humans, his loathing for other creatures on this planet was much worse. He continued on to the center of the large piece of property until he could sense he was in the right area.

Glancing towards the sky, he caught the faint glimpse of an airplane. He closed his eyes and opened them quickly, now able to make out the two standing in the open door of the aircraft. The woman's shrill voice easy to pick up on.

"I don't think I can do it. I hate flying...I hate falling...I'm going to die," The woman screamed, tears already building in her eyes. Her heart was racing and her hands clammy as she stared out of the airplane towards the ground. Free falling all that way suddenly didn't seem like such a hot idea.

"You can do it," The man at her side told her, confidence in his voice only there because of the hefty fine he charges. "The only way down is to jump."

The woman took several deep breaths and then nodded her head quickly. She was ready, or as ready as she'd ever be. From the ground, he just watched and waited patiently for the appropriate moment to step in. Then they jumped.

It hadn't been part of the plan, for her to be attached. It was a solo jump with him floating down to earth along side her. Somewhere in the grand scheme of things, stuff was changed. Never a fan of change, he grew used to adapting especially with newer Angels always out to save the guilt ridden planet that he loathed so much.

As long as the overall plan went underway, he could do his job and move on to the next one. In about five seconds, she would be given the signal to pull the parachute cord and it would fall to open. Both will set into panic and all he had to do was wait till the finally made it back to Earth.

"Just so you're aware, I'm editing the list."

Glancing over his shoulder, he saw the same mousy haired Angel he should have suspected. He didn't even want to speak.

"You took the child and you know that the list today says one female, not one of each."

The Angel was right, but he didn't want to admit it. He raised his hand at her falling figure and was about to take a two for one but was stopped when he felt a strong hand gripping his shoulder.

"I can't let you do this. We're not going to let a perfectly healthy female die from fear. She is given a second chance and will go out to do good for this world. Her time will come and she will go with you."

His blonde hair whipped in the wind as he stared hard at the Angel. An agreement would have to be made soon as the humans continued to make their journey back towards Earth, their cries of terror echoing throughout the valley.

He gave it another thought and said, "Next job is mine."

The Angel looked towards the sky and snapped his fingers, the parachute opening just as the humans reached the point of no return. He didn't bother to watch, he knew the scene and chose to disappeared in hopes of finding a new job.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10245