Heartbreaker by evergreenwriter83
Summary:
Photobucket


When Brooke Carter embarks on a whirlwind tour, the last thing she expects to do is fall for Nate, her sexy new photographer and web tech. To make matters worse, just when her love life starts to sizzle, someone else reappears to shake things up. Will Brooke make the right choice in the messy game of love? Or will she be the one to get burned?

(part of the Coaster Girls series; a spin-off to the Coaster Series)
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick, Other
Genres: Drama, Dramedy, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: The Coaster Girls
Chapters: 50 Completed: Yes Word count: 68965 Read: 103009 Published: 10/12/10 Updated: 12/10/10

1. Chapter 1 by evergreenwriter83

2. Chapter 2 by evergreenwriter83

3. Chapter 3 by evergreenwriter83

4. Chapter 4 by evergreenwriter83

5. Chapter 5 by evergreenwriter83

6. Chapter 6 by evergreenwriter83

7. Chapter 7 by evergreenwriter83

8. Chapter 8 by evergreenwriter83

9. Chapter 9 by evergreenwriter83

10. Chapter 10 by evergreenwriter83

11. Chapter 11 by evergreenwriter83

12. Chapter 12 by evergreenwriter83

13. Chapter 13 by evergreenwriter83

14. Chapter 14 by evergreenwriter83

15. Chapter 15 by evergreenwriter83

16. Chapter 16 by evergreenwriter83

17. Chapter 17 by evergreenwriter83

18. Chapter 18 by evergreenwriter83

19. Chapter 19 by evergreenwriter83

20. Chapter 20 by evergreenwriter83

21. Chapter 21 by evergreenwriter83

22. Chapter 22 by evergreenwriter83

23. Chapter 23 by evergreenwriter83

24. Chapter 24 by evergreenwriter83

25. Chapter 25 by evergreenwriter83

26. Chapter 26 by evergreenwriter83

27. Chapter 27 by evergreenwriter83

28. Chapter 28 by evergreenwriter83

29. Chapter 29 by evergreenwriter83

30. Chapter 30 by evergreenwriter83

31. Chapter 31 by evergreenwriter83

32. Chapter 32 by evergreenwriter83

33. Chapter 33 by evergreenwriter83

34. Chapter 34 by evergreenwriter83

35. Chapter 35 by evergreenwriter83

36. Chapter 36 by evergreenwriter83

37. Chapter 37 by evergreenwriter83

38. Chapter 38 by evergreenwriter83

39. Chapter 39 by evergreenwriter83

40. Chapter 40 by evergreenwriter83

41. Chapter 41 by evergreenwriter83

42. Chapter 42 by evergreenwriter83

43. Chapter 43 by evergreenwriter83

44. Chapter 44 by evergreenwriter83

45. Chapter 45 by evergreenwriter83

46. Chapter 46 by evergreenwriter83

47. Chapter 47 by evergreenwriter83

48. Chapter 48 by evergreenwriter83

49. Chapter 49 by evergreenwriter83

50. Chapter 50 by evergreenwriter83

Chapter 1 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter One - Raleigh, North Carolina

"Oh my God, it's hot out here."

"Well, they don't call August the dog days of summer for nothing," dad pointed out.

"Dad, it's too hot for dogs out here," I complained.

We were in Raleigh, North Carolina. It was only my second show back on the road. I had performed two nights ago in Charleston, South Carolina. It was amazing the difference one state could make. I felt like I was baking on the equator.

Dad laughed. "Would you like some water?"

I pulled my hair away from my neck.

"Yes, please."

Dad headed off to find some cold water. I had to pry my shoes off of the pavement. They were melting to the pavement even though I had only been standing still a few minutes.

It was absolutely miserable being outside. And I had to perform tonight.

I walked around until I finally found a tiny spot that welcomed a little shade. I sat down on the ground. The heat seared into my bottom.

"Oh!" I squeaked. I hopped back up and clutched my backside.

"Are you okay?"

I whirled around. A dark haired guy with amazing green eyes and perfect teeth was smiling at me. He had a camera around his neck and a huge bag slung over his shoulder.

He was gorgeous. And he had caught me at the exact moment that I had gotten a butt blister.

Perfect.

"Am I okay?" I squeaked. "I'm fine, I'm...it's hot out here," I explained.

As if he didn't already know.

He laughed. "Yeah, August in North Carolina is brutal." He held out his hand. "I'm Nate Blosser."

I put my hand in his. "I'm--"

"Brooke Carter," he said. "It's nice to finally meet you. I've heard good things about you."

He had a hot handshake. Of course, in this heat, everything was hot. I couldn't help but look at him suspiciously.

"Where did you hear all this good things?" I asked.

"Well, I--"

"Here we go BooBoo," dad said. I felt an ice cold bottle of water against my arm. I reached for it.

"Thanks," I said. "Dad, this is Nate Blosser. Nate this is--"

"I forgot you were joining us today!" dad said. "Welcome aboard."

Nate and dad shook hands. I stared at them in surprise.

"You know him?" I asked dad.

Dad looked surprised.

"Didn't I tell you?"

I unscrewed the water and took a drink. A big line dribbled down my chin.

So attractive.

"Tell me what?"

"Sam broke his leg. He can't come on the trip. But, it just so happens his nephew is following in his footsteps. Nate's going to be your new photographer and web tech for the tour."

I looked back at Nate.

"Sam is my mom's brother," he explained. "And he's the one that told me all those good things."

I felt myself blush, but I didn't worry about it much. The sun was already turning me red from head to toe.

"Oh," I said. I didn't know what else to say.

"Nate, let me show you your bus," dad said. "You'll be bunking with the band."

"Sweet."

Dad headed towards the bus. Nate walked by me and flashed me a smile.

"Woah," I whispered when he was out of earshot. I pressed the water bottle against my cheek.

The temperature seemed to spike another ten degrees.

------------------------------

"Why did I think leather was a good idea?" I asked as I clipped my wireless mic box to the back of my pants.

"Because they make your butt look great," my wardrobe girl, Lola said. She fixed the strap of my shirt.

"You're good," she confirmed.

"Alright," I said. "Be prepared to cut these pants off me when I get off the stage. If they don't melt first."

Lola laughed. I headed out of wardrobe. Dad was standing backstage with a plate of food. He put it down when he saw me.

"Ready?"

I nodded. "Ready."

"I told the guys to put more water out for you," he said.

"Then I'm going to have to pee," I said. Dad smiled.

"So be it. I don't want you fainting onstage."

He gave me a hug. "I'll be out for the encore."

I grinned. "I'd be disappointed if you weren't."

We high-fived. I took off for the stage. I ducked under the stairs and stood on the platform that would lift me up for the first song. It was stifling. I yanked at my shirt.

I strained my ears to hear the crowd. My plugs always filtered out the sound once I started singing, but I loved hearing the crowd during the few seconds before that happened. I always knew when the lights went out; the cheers magnified ten-fold.

Tonight was no exception. I closed my eyes and counted to three. The platform started to rise. I lifted my arm and crooked it over my head.

It was time to rock.

------------------------------

I have to admit that I had gotten accustomed to seeing Sam periodically during the concert. Seeing Nate threw me off a little bit. At one point, he gave me a thumbs up.

"I want to thank you guys for braving this heat to come out and see me," I yelled out to the audience. I lifted my arm for a big wave. It seemed like a bazillion arms waved back.

"Because of you guys, this song just recently made it to number one. This song is very special to me. You see, my brother wrote it. It's called Chaotic."

The lights dimmed. I ran to my mark on the stage. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw dad come out. My drummer disappeared and dad took his place.

The lights came back on. They swirled around in a dizzying array of blues and reds. I focused on my little stage markers and made sure to cover every square inch of the stage. I was thankful for the costume that dad and I had argued about. It was the coolest thing I had worn all evening; not that the heat mattered at the moment. My adrenaline was keeping the oppressive heat at bay.

"THANK YOU RALEIGH!" I screamed.

I picked up one of my water bottles, opened it, and sprayed those people in the first row. I tossed the empty bottle into the crowd and ran off the stage. I pulled out my plugs and unclipped my box.

"You're my hero," Lola said. "There's a freakin' heat warning out and you made it look like it was fifty degrees out there."

I grabbed a towel and dabbed my face. My heavy makeup came off with the sweat.

"I'm a good faker," I gasped. "I'm headed right to the shower. I'll bring the clothes out afterwards."

"No prob," Lola said. She waved me on.

I walked through my dressing room and into the shower. I turned the knob just enough to get the water on. I wanted it cold. I shrieked as I stepped under the spray.

"Amazing," I said to myself.

I stayed under the cold spray until my skin began to turn colors. I wrapped myself into a towel, picked up the clothes and headed back into the dressing room. I yanked on a pair of shorts and a tank top and yanked my hair back into a ponytail.

From superstar to nobody in ten minutes.

"Lola, here's those clothes," I said as I stepped out of my dressing room. I bumped right into a solid body.

Nate.

"Hey," he said. "I was looking for you."

"You were?"

He tapped his camera. "I wanted to talk to you about maybe doing some videos for your website."

I smiled. "I'd like that. Sam and I did a couple."

"I know, but I've been going over your site and your fanclub is complaining that there's not enough 'All' in All Access. Think we can do better?"

I was always up for a challenge. I put my hand on my hip; my smile widened.

"Absolutely. Tell you what. We should get to the next venue pretty early in the morning. We can go to breakfast and talk about it."

Nate ran a hand along the camera strap.

"Sounds good," he said with a smile.

"Excellent," I said. Nate walked backwards.

"See you tomorrow," he added.

"Good night," I said. I lifted my hand. He waved and turned around, heading in the direction of the busses.

"Breakfast tomorrow, huh?"

I turned. Dad was leaning against the wall, his arms crossed.

"You were listening?"

"I just caught the end of the conversation," dad said lightly. He stood up and began walking towards the exit.

"He's eighteen, BooBoo," dad called out behind him. I made a face.

Leave it to dad to insinuate that my harmless conversation was anything more.

As if!
Chapter 2 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Two - Vienna, VA

"Coffee, two creams."

I stared up at the waitress.

"Orange juice, small."

Nate smiled at me. All of a sudden I felt twelve.

"Not a coffee drinker?" he asked. It was my turn to smile.

"No, I'm more a sugary drinks type of person."

He laughed. His eyes drifted past my shoulder and he leaned forward conspiratorially. My heart sped up.

"Did anyone ever tell your dad that he makes a lousy spy?" he asked. He nodded in the direction he had just been looking.

My eyes widened. I turned around.

There weren't many people at the diner. It was easy to spot dad at a corner table, even though he was currently hiding behind a newspaper. An upside down newspaper.

I whirled around. "Excuse me," I said with a smile.

I slid out of the booth and walked over to dad's table. I tapped on the top of the newspaper. He looked up at me.

"Brooke! What are you doing here?"

"Dad, I told you I was coming here for breakfast with Nate to talk about fan club stuff," I said. I folded my arms. "What are you doing?" I whispered.

He had the decency to look at least a little ashamed.

"I was hungry," he said unconvincingly.

We had arrived in Virginia around four in the morning. I had finally wiggled out of my bed around seven. After a freezing shower I headed sent a text to Nate. At eight we met at the diner. Dad had claimed he was going back to sleep.

So much for that.

"You're spying on me," I chided.

Dad smiled. "Not at all."

He flicked the paper and turned it right side up.

"Enjoy your breakfast," he said lightly.

I walked back to the table and slid into my seat. Nate was pouring the cream in his coffee. I took a sip of my orange juice. He smiled at me.

"Where were we?" he asked.

"Ignoring my dad," I said. I got a dimpled grin for that.

We started talking about videos, blogs, and how to best utilize the tons of new social tools that had been introduced in the last couple years. We paused only to put in our breakfast orders.

"I like the idea of hiding a VIP pass in the area as long as we arrive early enough to do it," Nate said.

"That sounds cool. I love scavenger hunts."

"Excellent. Well I think if we work on these things we'll stir up some excitement in your current fanclub members excited. If they generate enough buzz, we'll probably see the number go up."

I smiled. "I can't wait to get started."

I took another sip of orange juice. I caught him looking at me and almost dropped my glass. I figured the best way to avoid thinking about him was just to continue talking.

"So what made you want to do this kind of thing?" I asked. Nate leaned back in his chair.

"When I was little, I remember how awesome it was when Uncle Sam would stop by. He'd always have these incredible stories about his photo shoots and all the celebrities he met. He got me my first camera when I was eight. I just never thought about doing anything else."

He took a sip of his coffee. "What about you? Did you always want to sing?"

I nodded. "Absolutely. There's nothing else I ever want to do. There's nothing like looking out into the crowd and realizing that you're the one that's making them so happy."

"I can understand that," he said. "Have you thought about college?"

"Dad really wants me to go," I said. "I'm thinking maybe online classes. That way I can have the best of both worlds."

"That's what I'm doing," Nate said. "I enrolled at the University of Arizona for their distance eduacation program."

"What's your major?"

"Visual Arts."

"Am I going to be part of your homework?" I teased.

"Do you want to be?"

I licked my lips. What the hell did I say to that?

"Who had the egg white omelet with green peppers?"

I looked up. The waitress was balancing a tray of food. I lifted my hand.

"And the french toast?" she asked. Nate lifted his hand.

The waitress put down our plates and walked away.

"That looks healthy," Nate said.

"Absolutely healthy," I said. I pointed my fork towards his plate. "And that looks delicious."

"Want a bite?"

He cut into the toast sprinkled with powdered sugar and topped with whipped cream. He speared a good size piece and held it out. I leaned forward to take it.

"AH-CHOOOO!!!"

I whirled around. Dad looked up at the waitress that was standing at his table.

"Allergies," he said with a smile.

I whirled around. Nate wiggled the fork at me.

"I'm thinking if I take that, dad might succumbed to hay fever," I said with a smile.

"We wouldn't that, would we?" Nate asked.

I shook my head. He shoved the forkful into his mouth. For several minutes we ate quietly. Somehow the smell of perfectly cooked peppers didn't compare to the amazing typhoon of cinnamon and sugar swirling off the french toast.

"Do you always get an egg white omelet?" Nate asked.

"Only on tour," I said. "My dance coach would have a fit if she knew about all the junk I ate when I wasn't on the road."

"Well, you hide it well," Nate said. I blushed.

"Thank you."

We worked through a good portion of the food for the next half hour. As the waitress was refilling my juice, I felt Nate's foot tap my leg. I looked at him.

"I think you dad's giving up," he said.

I turned. Dad left a tip and headed towards the door.

"He's harmless," I said turning back around. Nate held out his fork.

"I know. I've dealt with my share of dads before. He seems pretty cool."

I took the bite he held out. I closed my eyes.

"Good?"

I covered my mouth. "Heaven," I said between bites.

After I swallowed, I opened my eyes. Nate was watching me intently. I suddenly felt overpowered by green-ness. His eyes were sexy.

For some strange reason, something my best friend Kay told me forever ago came to mind. She told me during one sleepless sleepover that being around a hot, older guy could make you feel more like a woman.

I suddenly knew what she meant. If I felt any more womanly, I was going to explode.

And exploding probably wasn't the best first impression to make.
Chapter 3 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Three

"So walk me through a day in the life of Brooke Carter," Nate said later in the day. He was fiddling with a video camera that looked like something from outer space.

"A day in my life?" I asked. He looked up with a grin.

"Is there another Brooke Carter around here somewhere that I should know about?" he asked. I made a face.

"Point taken. Follow me."

We hopped off the stage and made our way to the busses. I opened the door to mine and climbed up. Nate was right behind me. When I turned around he had the camera pointed at me.

"Is that on?" I asked.

"Maaaybe," he said. "Walk me through your day," he reminded me.

"Okay. My day," I said. I ran my sweaty palms along my thighs as if I was preparing for a marathon. I turned around and headed down the hall.

"My day starts here," I said. I opened the door to my bedroom. "I never have a set time that I get to go to sleep so my wake up time always changes," I explained. I was glad that I had made my bed this morning, even though I noticed a few pathetic lumps as I stood there.

"What's sleeping on a bus like?" Nate asked.

"At first it was horrible. I woke up with every single bump. But now it doesn't bother me. You get used to it."

"That's good to know," Nate said softly. I forced myself not to look at his eyes. It was almost like he was a male Medusa. What would you even call that? Men-usa?

"So what happens when Sleeping Beauty wakes up?" he asked.

"Trust me, I'm not Sleeping Beauty," I said with a laugh. I brushed by him being careful not to get an extreme close-up on the camera. I walked back into the hall and opened the door to the bathroom.

"After I wake up, I spend a long time in here. The shower is always cold, but it works and that's what matters. I brush my teeth and get ready for the day."

"Where's all your makeup?"

Nate looked like he was expecting a stack of large boxes with various weapons of mass beaut-struction.

"I usually don't wear much makeup when I'm on the bus or even when we stop to eat," I explained. "I get slathered in enough of it for the concert."

I saw Nate's finger run along the top of the camera. A second later, he lowered it.

"You wore makeup this morning," he said with a smile. "You're wearing it now."

I blushed. "Well, yeah, but I was, er...that was for um..."

His eyes sparkled. Damn! Why did I look at the eyes!

"Moving on," he said lightly. He lifted the camera back up and pressed the button.

"So what do you do to pass the time on the bus?" he asked. We both stepped out of the bathroom.

"Well, my dad's with me," I said. I tapped his bunk and headed into the living area. "We usually play video games or I start going over new music. Of course, in a week, my tutor will arrive. I'll have a four hour school session each morning and then two hours of independent study."

"Do you like having a tutor better or do you prefer the traditional high school experience?"

I sat down on the couch. Nate sat down on the coffee table. Our knees were touching.

"What was the question?" I asked dumbly.

"I asked if you like having a tutor better or if you prefer the traditional high school experience."

"Oh. Let's see..."

I licked my lips and silently cursed myself. I had just devoured the last of my lipgloss.

"I like both of them for different reasons. I like my tutor because I learn at my own pace. When I went back to school in the spring, I was actually ahead of my classes," I said. "But, high school is nice because like you said, it's just the experience of it."

Nate grinned. "Will you be going back for your senior year?"

I smiled. "I'll go back in March when the tour is over. My parents double-checked before I left and the school guaranteed me that I could walk at graduation as long as I pass their graduation exam in April with the rest of my classmates."

"You're the oldest in your family right?"

"Yeah. Dad's totally excited. He always told me his biggest wish was to see us in our cap and gown. He never got to do it himself so it makes it even more exciting for me to be the first one to get to do that for him."

Nate paused the camera and put it down beside him. I suddenly felt dissected. But in a good way.

"That's really sweet. No wonder all those magazines call you the American Honey of music."

I laughed. "You can't believe half the stuff magazines say," I pointed out.

"You're right, but something tells me all the good things they say about you are true."

"Well, I--"

"What's going on?"

Nate's head swiveled. I looked up. Dad was standing on the top bus step. The door was open behind him.

"Nate's filming what I do every day," I explained.

"The camera's not on," dad pointed out.

"We're taking a break."

Dad ran a hand through his hair and smiled.

"Well it's a beautiful day. It's not nearly as hot here as it was in North Carolina. I'm thinking two young kids need fresh air. C'mon out of that musty bus."

Dad started waving at us like he was directing plane traffic. Nate looked at me and winked before turning back to dad.

"You're right," Nate said. "Brooke and I can continue this later."

"What else do you have left to film?" dad asked suspiciously.

"Just what she does before a show."

"Her dressing room is off limits," dad said casually. He made a big show of studying his nails.

"That's okay," Nate said breezily. It was like he was wearing an invisible dad shield. "I think the fans can figure out what happens in a dressing room."

Dad nodded. "Of course. Because that's all that happens in my daughter's dressing room. She gets dressed."

My eyes widened in horror. I watched Nate walk up to dad. Dad stepped aside so Nate could head down. He turned and smiled at me.

"See ya later Brooke. Thanks for the tour."

I couldn't say anything. He disappeared. I looked up at dad.

"Seriously?" I asked. Dad held up his hands.

"I'm being helpful!"

I snorted. "You're being nosy."

Dad smiled. He came over and sat beside me. I put my feet up on the coffee table while he grabbed our video game controllers.

"You're right," he admitted after a couple seconds. "I am being nosy. But you really can't blame me. I dreaded you turning sixteen. It's like someone flipped a switch and made you a babe magnet."

I groaned. "I'm not a babe magnet."

Dad turned on the TV. House of 1,000 Corpses flashed onto the screen. We both held our guns aloft and clicked to start the game.

"Believe what you want, BooBoo," dad said as he killed the first zombie. "But these guys are flocking to you like bees to honey."

"I know you mean well dad," I said. I watched a zombie head fall to the ground. "But Nate's just doing his job."

Dad sighed. "I know, but it's hard. Your mom was only doing her job and look what happened."

I laughed. "I'm not going to fall for my techie, dad."

"That's not what it looked like when I walked in," he said. A woman screamed on the screen as dad just barely missed her to get to a rabid vampire bat.

I ran out of ammo. A claw came out of nowhere and attacked me. Dad flicked me some extra bullets. I started the hunt back up.

"He does have gorgeous eyes," I said softly.

"You do realize that's not helping your case, right?" dad asked.

My character jumped in front of dad's and saved him from being eaten.

"I'm going to keep it strictly professional," I said. Dad let out a noise that sounded like a half grunt, half snort.

"Just remember what I said. Your dressing room is off limits."

"I guess we'll just do it under the stage then," I said lightly.

Dad dropped the gun on the coffee table.

"BROOKLYN!"

I paused the game and rolled over on the couch. I pressed my bare feet up on his shoulder and kicked playfully.

"I'm kidding!" I said. Dad grabbed my foot and started tickling the undersides like he used to when I was little. I let out a squeal. After a minute, he let me go. I grabbed my gun and we both turned towards the TV.

"Ready?" dad asked.

I lifted the gun up to my eyes and put on my game face.

"Ready."
Chapter 4 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Four

"Brooke, are you and Trevor Tylers really going out?"

I knew that question was going to come up at a VIP session, but I still was caught a little off guard. For a full minute I think I just gave the group standing below me a deer in the headlights look.

"Trevor?" I finally said. "We're just friends."

Okay, so friends was a stretch, but the real story was way too much to get into.

"What's your next single going to be?" another fan asked.

"I haven't decided yet," I said honestly.

After a couple more general questions, I prepared my face for a marathon smile session. Of course, smiling wasn't that hard to do considering Nate was taking the pictures.

"Wow, he's cute," I heard one of the girls still waiting in line tell another girl. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw them looking at Nate. He was oblivious; his gaze never strayed far from the camera lens.

"Totally hot," the other girl agreed.

My smile widened. It looked like my hot guy radar was still working well.

When the last fan was ushered away, I gathered up the gifts I was given. It was amazing how many older women came to my VIP just to give me something for dad. And there were some girls my age that had actually brought things for Noah.

Weird.

"Need help?"

I peered at Nate over the rump of a large brown teddy bear that I already knew I was going to give Landon.

"It's okay. I got it."

I took one step. Then another. I paused.

"Which direction do I need to go?"

I heard a deep, amused laugh. Then I felt warm hands on my shoulder. I was turned gently.

"This way."

We made our way backstage. I dumped the gifts on the table.

"Nice haul BooBoo."

Dad was sitting in a huge chair with his laptop. I smiled.

"There's stuff for you in here."

His eyes lit up like Christmas. "Really?"

He put his laptop aside and hoped up. Someone had done a portrait of him from when he was like a million years younger than he was now. There was a concert photo of dad holding me and Noah on stage (embarrassing!). Finally, there was a small tray of what looked like chocolate fudge. I let out a little cry of protest as dad hit the lever on the trashcan and tossed it.

"Never eat anything a fan makes," dad said.

"Why?"

"Because that stuff is way too easy to tamper with. They can put anything in it."

"Why would anyone want to tamper with food when they just paid a bundle to come VIP?" I asked.

"Some people are just crazy or want to see if it will get publicity."

"Did that ever happen to you, Mr. Carter?" Nate asked. "You seem to know a lot about it.

Dad looked at him. "I'm a well of wisdom," dad said.

I snorted. Dad looked back at me in surprise.

"I'm sorry," I said with a grin. "You are totally wise."

Dad picked up the huge teddy bear and smashed it into my face.

"And so are you," he said. "Wise ass."

He pulled the bear away and kissed my cheek.

"I'm going to Skype mom. Is this for Landon?"

I nodded. Dad tucked it under his arm and headed back to his computer.

Nate watched him go with a grin; he looked back at me.

"So shall we?"

"Shall we what?" I asked.

Nate tapped his equipment bag. "Can you walk me through what you do before a show?"

"Oh!" I said. I felt like I should have a big 'duh' sign right over my head. I smiled.

"Absolutely."

------------------------------------

"So the first thing I do is I eat. There's always a pretty good selection of food," I explained. Nate spanned the buffet table.

"Do you eat the same thing every night?"

"Not really. Except for fruit. I love fruit."

"What's your favorite fruit?"

"Kumquat."

"Kumquat?"

I laughed. "No, my favorite fruit is strawberries."

Nate's eyes sparkled.

"And whipped cream," I added randomly. It had just kind of come out. I looked back down at the buffet table for something else to say. There wasn't a lot you could say about food. Everyone knew what food was and--

"That sounds tasty."

I looked back up. Nate had paused the camera; his voice had changed. It wasn't teasing. It wasn't full of laughter. It was a little deeper and a little slower. It tickled my ears long after the words were said.

"Oh, well, I, er, um...GEE!" I said. I fanned my face. "There's also bananas. They're kind of a boring fruit," I rambled. "But they're versatile. I mean, you can put them on cereal, or ice cream, or..."

"You really think bananas are a boring fruit?"

He came up behind me. We both looked down at the banana.

Somehow that banana suddenly looked sexual.

"Well, that does it for the food table!" I said. I lifted my hands in the air as if to say 'moving on!' but I had forgotten Nate was so close. My knuckles connected with face. I heard a grunt.

I turned around to see him holding his eye.

"Oh shit! Are you okay?"

Nate leaned over. He crouched immobile for a few seconds, staring at the ground. When he looked at me, he was squinting through his right eye.

"You have bony knuckles."

I glanced at my hand. Bony knuckles? Oh no. Did they do fat injections for knuckles? I had never realized...

He started to laugh. I looked over at him.

"I'm sorry," he said. "The look on your face was priceless. What the hell were you just thinking?"

I blushed. I quickly tucked my knuckly hands behind my back. "Nothing. Are you okay?"

He nodded and stood back up. He fiddled with the camera again.

"Let's move on."

-----------------------------------

"So that's basically the ins and outs of any venue's backstage. The layout changes, of couse, but most have all the same things."

I paused at the door of my dressing room.

"This is my dressing room," I explained to the camera. Nate turned the camera from me and turned it onto himself.

"No one's allowed in there but Brooke," he explained with a grin. He flipped it back to me. I smiled.

"Yeah, so, I spend a lot of time in my dressing--"

At that moment Lola stepped out of the room.

"I've got your outfits organized for tonight," she said. I smiled. "Thanks."

I turned back to the camera. "As I was saying, I spend more of my time in my dressing--"

One of my makeup girls poked her head out.

"When will you be ready for makeup?" she asked.

I checked my watch. It was later than I thought.

"Give me ten minutes," I said. She nodded and disappeared back into my room. I turned back to the camera.

"As I ws saying, my dressing room is--"

A plumber walked out of the room.

"You had a little leak, but it's all fixed. Have a good show."

"Thank you," I said. I turned back again. Nate was laughing silently.

"What?" I asked. He paused the camera again.

"You're dressing room is like a freakin' clown car! How in the world can your dad say you're the only one that goes in your dressing room?"

I smiled. "I think that was his way of saying that no one named Nate goes in my dressing room," I teased.

He laughed out loud. I really liked his laugh.

"Is he afraid we'll do it on the couch?" he said mischievously.

All of the oxygen in my body just went woosh right out into the space around me. It took me a moment to remember to inhale.

"Actually, I thought under the stage would be better," I shot back. Nate's eyes widened. I got to hear another laugh.

"You're adorable, do you know that?" he asked.

I almost let out a squeal. I wrapped my hand around the knob leading into my dressing room.

"You know what they say about adorable girls," I said. I don't know why I said it. It was something Kayleigh had told me a long time ago and I still remember being shocked. Why the hell was I pulling it on Nate?

"What do they say?" he asked.

I turned the knob. I backed up as the door opened and began to slid in. I met his eyes.

"You can't spell adorable without 'do-able'," I said.

I closed the door before I saw his face.

"You ready?" my makeup girl asked. She paused. "Why is your face so red?"

I fanned myself again as I walked over to the chair. I plopped down and stared at myself in the mirror. Who was this girl staring back at mee? Where did she come from?

And had I seriously just told Nate I was do-able?
Chapter 5 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Five - Pittsburgh, PA

For the next few days after the whole 'do-able' incident, I kept a little more distance between myself and Nate. I still couldn't believe that I had actually said that to him. What did I know about being do-able?

The day after I had been so mortified that I had called Kay for moral support. The whole thing had amused her, but I just felt better telling someone. Plus, after sending her a horribly fuzzy picture of him that I took as he was walking by, Kay had deemed him a total hottie.

As if I hadn't alreay known that.

I couldn't wait to see Kay. Uncle Bri was still letting her come out to L.A. for my concert. Not only would I get to see her, but that was also the day Aunt Angel took over for dad as my guardian on the tour. She always gave me way more independence than dad did.

The bus was making its way to Pittsburgh. We had gotten a late start out of Ohio the night before. I hoped that we wouldn't cut it too close. Nate wanted to hide the first VIP pass somewhere today. Just the thought of being in close proximity to him made my pulse spike.

I was still in bed thinking about home and family (and Nate) when my phone rang. I could hear the sound of dad snoring coming from my half-opened door. I rolled over and checked my phone.

It was home.

"Hey!" I said happily. I couldn't deny I was already a little homesick. Plus, I hadn't talked to mom in a couple days. I really wanted to talk to her about Nate. She had known Sam forever; surely she would know some more about his nephew.

"Where's dad?" Noah asked. I frowned.

"Well, don't say hi or anything," I said. Noah sighed.

"Sorry. Hi. Listen, I need to talk to dad."

"Did you call his phone?" I asked.

"It's off."

"That's because he's snoring. What's going on?"

"Mom's locked in the bathroom."

I laughed. "What?"

"Pey, Landon, and I were having breakfast when I heard mom scream. I ran up the stairs to see what was wrong, but she was already coming down. I seriously don't know if she even realized we were there. She went down the hallway talking to herself. Her hands were moving around so fast it looked like she might fly. You know how she gets when she gets all nervous or excited."

I nodded. "I know." Mom was a total hand talker. "What was she saying?"

"I don't know. She mumbled dad's name and said 'Oh My God' about six times. Before I could ask her what was going on she turned, walked down the hall, and locked herself in the bathroom. Sound familar?"

My eyes widened. I scrambled up into a sitting position. "Oh my god, no WAY. You really don't think so, do you?"

"Well, she did almost the exact same thing before. Luckily last time dad was home to talk her out. I don't know what to do!"

I hopped out of bed. "Hold on. I'll wake dad up. Where are you?"

"I'm in the kitchen. Landon decided to see if eggs stuck to the ceiling. It's a mess in here."

I walked out of my room and pushed the curtain to dad's bunk back. His mouth was open; I was pretty sure he was gearing up for another snore.

"Dad!" I said loudly. I shook his shoulder. He turned on his side. I gave him a hard nudge to his side.

"DAD!"

His eyes flew open. He squinted up at me.

"What's up BooBoo?" he mumbled groggily. I held out my phone.

"Noah needs to talk to you."

Dad looked confused. He ran his hand down his face and took the phone.

"Hello?"

I stepped back, but I didn't go very far. I listened to dad's end of the conversation.

"What happened?" dad asked. There was a long pause while Noah retold the story.

"She what?!" dad asked. At this point he climbed out of the bunk. He ran a hand through his hair.

"Okay, I've got a spare key for emergencies now. Go into the kitchen and check the junk drawer. There's a small brown box. It's the key on the right. Unlock the door, put me on speaker, and slide the phone into the room."

It was almost like a SWAT team operation. I could imagine grandpa in his younger days strategizing almost the exact same way.

Dad began to pace while Noah followed his instructions. I couldn't blame him. I had seen mom spazz out just like this.

Four and a half years ago.

When she found out she was pregnant with Landon.

I remember the day clealy. It was Valentine's Day. Dad had just picked Noah and I up from middle school. Peyton had stayed home sick that day. I was teasing Noah about this huge Valentine a girl had made him when we walked in. Pey was standing there in the hallway waiting for us with Kleenex shoved up her nose.

"Mom's lost it," she said. And then she went back to bed.

Dad had spent two hours crouched by the bathroom door talking to her. Noah and I stayed in the living room to do our homework. We didn't want to miss any of the action.

"It's your fault!" mom finally bellowed. Those were the first words she had actually said since dad had started talking to her. Noah and I whirled around. Dad waved us away, but all we did was turn back around.

"What's all my fault?" dad asked quietly.

"You HAD to mention that you missed the sound of little feet!"

Noah and I whirled back around. The look on dad's face was priceless.

"Little feet?" he said. He broke into a grin. "You're---oh honey!"

Dad ended up having to take the door off the hinges. It took forever to calm mom down. She was holding onto the pregnant test stick so hard her knuckles were white.

I'm pretty sure mom was happy enough just with the three of us. She was always telling everyone how she had gotten her babies out of the way so she could enjoy the 'golden years' with her husband. That dream was soon replaced with the reemergence of a crib, diapers, breast milk, and a crazily hormonal mother.

Of course, mom returned to just being mom after Landon was born. After that it was mushy comments about how she missed the smell of a baby powdered bottom and how his little knees were so dimply because he was so chubby.

And now it was like deja vu.

"Honey?" dad said suddenly. I assumed Noah had managed to slide the phone into the bathroom. "It's Nick. Talk to me. What's going on?"

A couple seconds passed. Then all of a sudden I heard mom's voice. I couldn't tell what she said exactly, but I knew by that freaked out tone what it meant.

Dad was going to have to get a crib back out.

------------------------------------

"I'll be fine dad. Don't worry."

"Angel said she can get here by tonight."

"Seriously. It's okay. Mom needs you more."

"I can't believe this," dad said. "How did this happen?"

I raised a hand and smiled. "I can explain."

Dad pointed a finger at me. "Zip it."

I ran my hand over my lips and gave him a sweet smile. He grinned, zipped up his duffel bag, and kissed my forehead.

"I'm so sorry to do this to you," he said. I shook my head.

"Dad, you're only a phone call away."

He opened his arms. I hugged him tightly.

"I love you BooBoo."

"I love you too dad."

I followed him out of the bus. A car was waiting to take him to the airport. I blew him a kiss as he got into the car. He caught it. A minute later he was gone.

For the first time ever on tour it was just me. Sure, Aunt Angel was going to be here in less than twelve hours, but for those twelve hours I was on my own.

What was a girl to do?

"Hey Brooke, you want to go hide this VIP pass?"

I looked to my left. Nate hopped off of his bus. He swung the pass in the air and grinned.

I smiled. He was wearing a tight black tanktop. I realized that dark haired, green-eyed guys should not wear black.

It was lethally hot.

"Sure," I said.

"Do I need to tell your dad the exact GPS coordinates of where I'm taking you?" he teased. I laughed.

"You could," I said. "But my dad just left to catch a flight home."

I flipped my hair. "I'm all alone," I added. I swear that my body was acting without my permission. I actually felt my eyelashes flutter.

Nate laughed. "Well, in that case it's my duty to keep you out of trouble."

"Out of trouble?" I asked. My mouth just couldn't shut up. He walked towards me. His eyes danced playfully. He checked me out.

"Do you like trouble?" he asked. He took my hand.

"Within reason," I said. My heart was pounding. He shook his head.

"Too bad," he said with a sigh. "Because it looks like I'm your responsible adult this afternoon."

I straightened up. "You're not that much older than me."

He tapped my nose with his other hand. My nose!

"I'm older and wiser."

I smiled. "We'll see about that," I said.

"Let's go."
Chapter 6 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Six

"Wow, this is cool."

"Well, anyone from around the area should be able to figure out where we're at by the picture."

Nate and I were standing outside the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens. The building was gorgeous. Everything was so...green.

"Where should I hide it?" I asked. I bounced on the balls of my feet. Nate laughed as he rooted through his camera bag.

"Hide it wherever you want."

I looked around. I knew I didn't want to hide it inside because people would have to pay to even find it. Instead, I ran up the stairs on the left that wound up to the entrance.

"I'm going to reach down and put it in this bush," I explained.

Nate put a different lens on his camera.

"Let me get one of you standing there and then I'll do a closeup of your bush."

"A closeup of what?" I asked. My mind had immediately gone to the gutter. Kay would have been proud.

"Your bush that you put the pass in," Nate said with a wry smile.

I blushed. "Right! Right! Okay."

I posed on the stairs. Nate snapped a couple pictures. Then he came up beside me. I wiggled my arm through the bars and slid the pass into one of the bushes. He took a picture of my arm in the bush.

"Alright. Got it," he said. I looked up at him.

"Excellent I---ohhh."

I looked down. My arm wasn't coming out. I had leaned in all the way to my shoulders. It wasn't budging.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm stuck," I said. His eyes widened.

"Are you kidding?"

I tugged. "Do I look like I'm kidding?" I screeched.

He ran a hand through his hair. It stuck straight up in the air. I'll be damned if it didn't make him look hotter.

"Okay, well...don't panic."

I snorted. I was crouched down with a bar pressing into my shoulders with the sun beating down on me and he was telling me not to panic?

Right.

I heard him fumbling above me. A minute later he knelt down next to me. He wrapped his hands around my shoulder.

"I'm going to squeeze," he said. "It's going to hurt. When I do, I want you to lean back. We'll see if that works."

I was humiliated. The security guard in the building was probably busting a gut just watching me. Lord help me if any of the paparazzi were around.

"Okay," Nate said. His lips were uber close to my ear. I was momentarily distracted.

"One...two...three!"

His hands were strong. He wasn't kidding when he warned me that it would hurt. I was sure he was going to break my shoulders.

"LEAN BACK!" he yelled.

I knew I had forgotten to do something. I tossed every last bit of force I had into tossing myself backwards.

I landed backwards on the cement step. My arm came with me.

So did Nate. His bag smacked into my hip. His face smashed right into mine. The bag was annoying.

His face was not.

"Sor-" he started to say, but I didn't give him a chance. I cupped his face to stop its retreat.

And I kissed him.

I don't know what made me do it. I guess I figured if he complained I'd just declare temporary insanity.

But the way that he was kissing me back made me think that he wasn't going to complain. I dropped my hold on his face and ran my hands along his arms. I blessed the good Lord for creating black tank tops.

"A-hem."

Nate's lips left mine. We both looked up. A security guard was staring down at us in amusement.

"Is everything all right here?" the guard asked.

"Wonderful," Nate said. "Brooke?"

"Fantastic," I said breathlessly. I had the perfect view of his grin.

"I think you better take this elsewhere," the guard said.

Nate sat up. He grabbed my hand and we got to our feet. Nate gave the guy a salute.

"Will do. G'day."

Nate started to laugh even before we got to the car. He opened my door for me and leaned on it.

"You're trouble," he said lightly. I wrapped my hands over the door.

"Is that going to be a problem?" I asked. My heart was pounding. I really wanted to get to those lips again. He leaned towards me.

"Lucky for you, I'm a problem solver," he said. I smiled.

"So how are you going to solve my problem?" I asked. He reached out and ran his hand through my hair.

"I'd love to show you, but I don't solve problem in the car," he said. "It's tacky."

"What about a bus?" I asked.

"Or under the stage?" he teased. I grinned. His hand fell from my hair and we got in the car.

I felt like a little kid playing with a match. Nate was the match.

And I was close to setting myself on fire.

---------------------------------------

"Okay...it's posted. We'll see how long it takes someone to find it."

We were on my bus. Nate was sitting at the table with his laptop. I was sitting on the couch attempting to shift myself into a sexy position without looking too noticeable. I pulled down on my v-neck. I figured cleavage was a good addition to a sexy pose. I cracked my knuckles nervously. I stopped when he glanced my way.

"Mind if I join you?" he asked. I smiled.

"Not at all."

He got up and sat beside me. We both stared straight ahead. I felt awkward. It was a ridiculous thought, but all of a sudden I felt like I needed a bracelet that said WWKD - What would Kayleigh do?

"So about that problem," I said slowly. He turned to me.

"Oh, yeah. That problem."

I licked my lips. I saw his eyes drift down. I gave myself a point for tugging down the shirt. His arm drifted along the back of the couch.

In the blink of an eye, his lips were on mine again.

I used to wonder when I was little how mom and dad could kiss so much. I figured that once you did it once, there wasn't anything special with doing it again.

Boy, was I wrong. Every time Nate turned his head it was different. My head felt like it was full of bubbles like the ones I used to make when mom would fill our wading pool with soap and give us wands. I shivered as his tongue brushed against my lips.

I don't know how long we sat there just exploring each other's mouths. I do know that after awhile I was frustrated by the lack of proximity. I swung my leg over him and straddle his lap. His hands wrapped around the back of my legs.

That was better. Much better. He seemed to think so too. I pressed against him; his breathing increased. His lips fell to my neck and I let out a sigh.

I was just about ready to make another bold move when someone knocked on the bus door. I wasn't expecting that; I let out a little scream and immediately felt ridiculous.

"Uh...uh...who's there?" I called out.

"Keegan!"

I groaned. He was my VIP guy. I glanced down at Nate. He gave me a smile and a shrug. I got up, walked the short distance across the room and opened the door.

"What?"

Keegan smiled at me. He was in his early thirties. I was pretty sure dad hired him because he loved golf. Whenever they had a chance, they went out to the nearest green.

"Your dad wanted me to check on you periodically," he said sweetly. My eyes narrowed.

"He wanted you to spy on me?"

Keegan laughed. "Yeah. Are you behaving?"

He tried to peer around me, but I swung my hip out.

"Of course I am," I said. He drummed his fingers against the doorway.

"Well, VIP is in an hour and a half. Better get ready."

He turned and walked away whistling. I closed the door and turned around.

Nate was back at his laptop.

"Someone found the pass!" he said. He looked over at me.

Our moment was gone.

"I'm going to go...get ready," I said awkwardly. I pointed down the hall. Nate closed the lid of his laptop.

"I'm going to go...somewhere else," he said with a laugh. "You and water running isn't a good combination for me right now."

I blushed. "Why?"

He packed up the laptop and stood up. I was frozen in place. He walked right up to me. His eyes were smouldering.

"Because you're sixteen, you give the best kisses I've ever had, and you look way too good to me right now."

He kissed my forehead. My forehead!

"So you go take a shower." He walked towards the door.

"And I'm going to go take mine."
Chapter 7 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Seven

My lips were still tingling. I was sure my makeup girl was going to point out the evidence as she applied my gloss.

I hadn't seen Nate since he stepped off the bus. The image of him in the shower only made my day worse. Those strong arms rippling with water and...

"Boy, you're warm. Are you getting sick?"

I glanced into the mirror.

"No, it's just hot in here."

"There's a fan blowing right on you."

I didn't know what to say to that. Luckily, I didn't have to. My dressing room door opened and one of the most beautiful women in the world bounced in.

Aunt Angel had arrived.

"Hey BooBoo!" she said. She dropped her purse down on the floor. She hugged me for just a second before the makeup girl went back to work.

"Thanks for coming on such short notice," I said. Angel laughed.

"Your dad did me a favor. Logan's dad arrived early. It was the perfect time to leave."

"I didn't think Logan ever saw his dad," I said.

"Actually, I told Logan when he got old enough that if he wanted to reach out and contact his dad, he should. I didn't want to be the bad guy in all of this. Surprisingly, somebody must have put a boot up Matt's ass because he seems like he truly does want to try. So, Matt's moved down to Tampa temporarily and I took it as my cue to leave."

"What if it doesn't work out?" I asked.

Angel looked down. She seemed hesitant; a little nervous.

"Don't tell your dad," she warned.

I had never had Aunt Angel tell me not to tell my dad something ever. I glanced over at her. This had to be serious.

"If it doesn't work out, I promised my mom that she could check up on Logan periodically."

My forehead creased in confusion. My makeup girl sighed in frustration. My facial expressions were causing her anxiety.

"Your mom?"

"Your grandma."

"But she's...but she's nuts!"

I didn't know a lot about grandma. I had a few fuzzy memories, but not many. Most of my memories were of her screaming at my dad. After the kidnapping, I knew she had gone to jail. I didn't know her part in the whole thing, but I knew she had done something wrong. Dad never talked about her and I just assumed she was either still in jail or in an insane asylum.

"She got help while she was in prison. She's not so bad. She's repented. She's seen Logan a few times and she just adores him," Angel explained.

"Well, she hasn't tried to contact any of us," I said.

"That's because your dad has a restraining order. She's not allowed to contact you guys."

"Really?"

"Really."

We lapsed into silence. The makeup girl finished her thing and Lola came over with my first outfit.

I didn't know how I felt about that grandma. I mean, I had a grandma. Grandma Carrie was all the grandma I thought I really needed. And I had Grandpa Mike and Grandpa Bob.

I had to trust that dad was just looking out for our safety.

Just like he always did.

All of a sudden, Angel clapped her hands.

"So, change of subject. Your dad tells me that I'm going to need to watch my hormonal niece closely this tour," Angel teased. I looked up in surprise; Lola was wrapping a chain around my waist.

"What does he mean by that?" I asked.

Angel laughed. "Well, I might be jumping to conclusions, but there's a totally cute young man sitting outside the door with a camera. He's been watching everyone go in and out of this room sadly."

My heart took a giant leap. "That's Nate," I said with a grin. Angel laughed.

"Take it from experience, honey. A guy that good looking is trouble."

It was on the tip of my tongue that I liked trouble, but I didn't say it. Angel was my aunt and she was the one that I had to suck up to in order to get a little more freedom. It was best not to get off to a bad start.

"You're all set," Lola said. I turned around and thanked her.

"Can you let him in now?" I asked Angel as I turned around. I crossed my fingers dad hadn't imparted his 'no dressing' room policy upon his favorite sister. Angel smiled.

"Sure."

She opened the door, poked her head out, and said something. A second later Nate walked into the dressing room with her. He looked around with a big smile.

"I'm dressed," I said. I held my arms out for emphasis. He laughed.

"I see that. It must be the power of the room," he chided.

Angel and I looked at each other. She pointed to the door, winked, and left.

My awesome aunt scored a million points in my book with that move.

"I won't take any photographic evidence that I'm in here. I have a feeling your dad will be checking up on you through my work," he added with a grin.

"You do good work," I said.

His eyes floated down to my bare midriff.

"So do you."

All of a sudden, my legs moved independently from my mind. I closed the distance between us. His arms went around my waist. I felt his fingers press into the bare skin of my back. I was amazed at the shot of desire that flowed through me like a bird heading south for the winter. We stared into each others eyes for a few delicious seconds.

"You look gorgeous tonight; but, I'll admit that I like you better the other way," he said suddenly.

"What other way?" I asked in confusion.

"Without all the makeup," he said. His fingers trailed a slow circle around my sides towards the expanse of abdomen that my shirt allowed on display. I bit my tongue. Hard.

"And I like you in your regular clothes," he added. His face reddened. "You kind of remind me of a Barbie doll right now."

"But I'm anatomically correct!" I blurted out. There was a long agonizing moment where there wasn't even the sound of breathing. I watched his Adam's apple bob as he swallowed hard. His fingers splayed out. I felt just the tips graze the underside of my breasts. My knees shook. Slowly his hands dropped from my body.

"I'm going to go," he said slowly. We both exhaled at the same time. "Before the dressing room becomes an un-dressing room."

He took my hand, gave it a squeeze and walked out. As the door closed, I backed up and sat down on the couch. Hair be damned, I lowered my head between my legs and started to hyperventilate.

"FIVE MINUTES!" I heard someone shout.

I had five minutes to go from horny teen to irresistible pop star. I shook my arms out along my sides.

I could do this. I just had to get my game face on.

---------------------------------------

Author's Note: By popular request, I have another LiveJournal exclusive of Liv finding out there's ANOTHER Carter on the way. Click here to read it. You can leave me a review (if you want) via Heartbreaker here on AC.

Also, I've done my Friday update of Murder at Backstreet Mansion. If you haven't started to read it, give it a chance. It's a perfect Halloween story! Click here to read it!
Chapter 8 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Eight - On the Way to L.A.

"So is this the program that the magazines use to airbrush people to make them look thinner?"

Nate laughed. "Yeah, but I use it just to clear up small background details. You don't need airbrushed."

I smiled happily. My whole posse was on the plane to L.A. with me. Kayleigh's flight was scheduled to land later tonight. We'd have a whole free day together before my first Cali concert where I expected her to rock out in the front row.

Angel was sitting a row behind us talking on her cellphone. I tapped one of my pictures.

"There's got to be something you'd want to change," I teased. "You're a guy after all."

Nate closed the laptop. His hand fell to my knee.

"Not a thing."

His hand felt amazing. After the whole bus thing, we hadn't gotten any farther than kissing. Not that I was complaining. His lips had a license to thrill.

And thrill they did.

"So you're not going to give me a digital boob job?" I asked. I had given up on worrying about my mouth censor. It was completely and utterly broken around him.

Nate's eyes sparkled. His eyes scanned the area around us and then focused right down into my clevage. The hand that was resting on my knee trailed up my body. He grabbed my breast for just a second before sliding his arm around me.

"They're perfectly fine," he diagnosed.

My mouth flapped like a fish out of water. I wanted to say something witty, but he had just grabbed my boob! He chuckled, leaned over, and kissed me.

Okay, so words weren't that important. I leaned into him and tilted my head slightly. My lips opened in invitation. He always tasted like cinnamon. Of course, that made sense because he was so spicy and...

"Brooke?"

We reluctantly pulled away. Angel was hovering over our seats. She was pretending to ignore the fact that I was trying to makeout on the plane.

"What's up?" I asked after a second. Nate opened his laptop back up.

"I was just talking to the tour team," Angel said. "They've found an opening act for the rest of your tour."

"That's great!" I said with a smile. My first opening act had been three girls that were barely thirteen. I think everyone in the audience felt kind of dirty watching them. They shook more stuff than I did and they didn't even have the stuff to shake yet! Needless to say, they had moved on before we took off to L.A.

"Yeah..." Angel said. I didn't like her tone of voice.

"What's wrong?"

"Well, I don't want you to spazz," she warned.

"What? I don't spazz!" I said. Nate snorted. I smacked his shoulder. "Who is it?"

"It's Grenadine."

-----------------------------------

"Brooke, come out of the bathroom. We're almost ready to buckle up again and you need to be back in your seat," Angel said. She tapped on the door again.

"GIVE ME A MINUTE!" I said. I heard a frustrated sigh.

Okay, so maybe I did spazz. I had locked myself in the bathroom for forty-five minutes. But I had a right to spazz. Why?

Why me?

Of course, I didn't spazz alone. The moment I stopped hyperventilating, I called dad.

"I'm working on it, honey. At the longest, it will only be a few dates," dad promised. "How are you doing other than this?"

I sighed. "I'm fine. I was perfect. Until this."

"I know," dad said. "But you're the bigger person here. Trevor's the one that should feel awkward. Not you."

He was right; but it still didn't make the whole thing feel less awkward.

"How's everything at home?" I asked sullenly. "How's mom?"

"Well," dad sounded kind of excited. "Mom and the babies are doing pretty well. Except for the constant vomiting."

My eyes widened. "Babies?"

Dad laughed. "Twins."

"And she didn't kill you?"

Dad stopped laughing.

"Let's not get into that right now."

I smiled. "I miss you guys."

"We miss you too BooBoo. Hey, Noah wanted to know if you listened to the song he gave you at the airport."

I smacked my forehead. "I totally forgot. Tell him I'll listen to it tonight."

"Will do. Love you baby girl."

"Love you too, dad."

I hung up, took a deep breath and opened the door. Angel looked at me in concern.

"Are you okay?"

I nodded. "I needed a dad talk."

We walked back to our seats in silence. I buckled in. Angel did the same behind me. Nate looked like he wanted to say something but was smart enough to know better.

"Why them?" I asked aloud. I still couldn't let it go. I heard Angel lean forward as much as the belt would allow.

"They couldn't fill the small venues on the West Coast. Since you're under the same label, the company decided to merge them with you to see if things improved."

"I don't want them," I moaned. If I was being specific, I didn't want to see Trevor. Not this soon. Not after he had broken up with me over the phone.

"I know. But your dad talked to the promoters. I talked to the promoters. Even if we can get them off the tour, it's not going to be for at least a few stops."

I sighed. "I know. Dad told me."

"What's bad about Grenadine?" Nate asked cautiously. I looked at him. I figured if I didn't tell him, he was going to find out sooner or later.

"Trevor Tylers and I were kinda seeing each other," I explained. "He broke up with me."

Nate laughed. I couldn't believe he laughed!

"He broke up with you? What a loser."

I smiled. "Really?"

"A total loser," Nate said. "Of course, you can do better."

I laughed. He wiggled his eyebrows insinuatingly. I felt my darn eyelashes bat again.

"I think I can too."

------------------------------------------

"Wow, this hotel rocks," Nate said.

We were staying at the Sofitel Hotel. Everything was chrome, black, and ultra sleek.

"It beats the bus doesn't it?" I asked. Nate laughed.

"Well, I'm sure your bus isn't bad. Sharing a small space with other guys isn't exactly fun."

I smiled. "Yeah, dad used to say it was nuts when he had to share one bus with the other guys."

I handed Nate a room key. "Luckily, I was nice and got you your own room."

His eyes widened in surprise. "Really?"

I laughed. "I thought you could use some quiet while you worked."

I got a dimpled grin. "That's awesome."

We all headed up to our rooms. Per dad's request, Angel's room was adjoining to mine. Kayleigh was going to stay with me. Nate was down the hall. The dancers and band were scattered all throughout the floor.

I had no idea where Grenadine was staying. Not that I cared. I didn't. Not at all. Uh-uh.

"I'm going to go unpack," Nate said. He tapped his bag. "But maybe you and I can go have a late lunch?"

I nodded. "I'd love that. My best friend is flying in tonight."

Nate smiled. "I can't wait to meet her."

I watched him walk down the hall. His butt looked amazing. I fanned myself, giggled, and unlocked my door. I headed in with some of my bags. A huge cart with the rest of my stuff shouldn't have been far behind. I flipped on the light and looked around.

The suite was amazing. It had an entertainment lounge, a huge bedroom, an opulent bathroom, and a balcony.

As I headed towards the balcony, I stopped to admire a HUGE bouquet of red roses. I leaned down and inhaled the beautiful scent. I pulled out the card. I always loved the welcome cards from the hotel.

But it wasn't a welcome from the hotel.

Brooke -

By now I'm sure you heard we're you're opening act. These past few weeks have been absolute torture for me. I made a mistake. I know I hurt you. Can you find it in your heart to just give me a chance to explain? I miss your beautiful smile.

Love, Trevor
Chapter 9 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Nine - Los Angeles, CA

"Oh my god, you look great!"

"So do you!"

I hadn't seen Kay since the hospital. I had been worried that a thin, pale girl would be getting off the plane. Instead, it was Kay in all her natural glory. I hugged her tightly.

"How are things going?" I asked.

I snorted. "Oh, you have no idea."

We walked towards baggage claims. Chuck was right on my heels. We grabbed Kay's bags and headed towards the SUV the hotel had supplied me, complete with driver. Chuck tossed Kay's bags in the back and we got in the back.

"So?" I asked.

Kay filled me in on everything. I noted the anger in her voice when she mentioned Claudia. She described her sessions with Marcie; I could tell that they were helping. Kay seemed to have more awareness of her own emotions.

"And then I overheard Baylee tell dad he kissed Marcie!"

Kay looked excited; I'm sure I looked suprised.

"He did?"

Kay smiled. "He did."

We talked about that for awhile. The whole thing seemed so sad to me. I couldn't imagine having that huge wedding and being so in love and then less than two months later...

"What's sad is no one saw it before," Kay finally said. She glanced back over at me.

"Anyhow, how's it going with Nate?"

She had said the magic word. I felt my face reddened.

"Great."

"Did you do it yet?" Kay asked curiously. I had a feeling that no matter how much Kay changed, she was still always going to have her mind in the gutter.

"No!" I exclaimed. I leaned against her. I needed to whine about the whole Trevor thing. Kay was the perfect person to whine to. She would understand.

"You're never going to believe my luck," I said with a sigh.

"What's wrong?"

"My tour promoter found a new opening act for me."

Kay smiled. "So?"

"It's Grenadine."

"You're kidding!"

I shook my head. "Trevor had a dozen roses waiting for me in my hotel room."

Kay snorted. "Why the hell would he do that? He's the one that broke up with you!"

"He wrote on the note that he made a mistake."

"No shit. But that's his problem."

I bit my lip.

"Right?" Kay pressed.

"He wants to talk to me and explain," I added.

Kay shook her head. "You're not going to listen to his bullshit are you?"

I threw my hands up in the air. "I don't know! I mean I feel so bad. His family is crap and he's had to deal with a lot. The least I can do is hear him out."

"Did you know he told me that he hated me?"

I looked at Kay in surprise. "When?"

She glanced down at her wrists. "That night."

I studied her wrists; I hadn't taken a good look before. They looked better than I had imagined, but it still tore me apart that Kay had felt so desperate that she thought the only way out was death. I ran my fingers along the jagged line. "He just came out and said he hated you?"

"He said he hates people like me."

I frowned. I thought back to the last phone call I had with Trevor. He had called her a slut. I felt angry. He was too quick to judge her.

"I'm sorry he said that to you," I said gently.

Kay shrugged. "I could care less what he thinks about me."

I didn't really believe that. I wrapped my arm around her and squeezed.

"Did I mention I'm glad you're here?" I said.

We looked at each other and smiled.

--------------------------------

"This room is awesome. Man, I'd love to be pampered like this every day."

Kay was sprawled on the bed. She had gone over every square inch of the suite. I could tell the green-eyed monster of jealousy was coming out.

"The whole hotel is like this," I said. "The manager came up right before I picked you up and told me to call room service if I needed anything. It's all on the house."

Kay laughed. "You suck."

I grinned. Kay sat up and looked around.

"So where's this gorgeous hunk of yours?" she asked.

I felt my face grow warm again.

"He's not my hunk," I said lightly. "He's probably in his room."

Kay hopped off the bed. "Well let's go! I need an introduction."

"Now?" I asked in surprise.

"Sure! Why not?"

"Well--I---er---"

Kay grabbed my hand. We walked out of the bedroom, through the entertainment lounge and to the front door. Kay opened the door and gestured out into the hall.

"After you!"

I stepped out into the hall and swung around. Kay closed the door behind us. The look on her face made me nervous. It was the same look she had the night we snuck out to the club in Atlanta.

"He's probably working on the website," I said.

"He could use a break," Kay reasoned.

Reluctantly, I walked down to Nate's room. I stood in front of the door. My heart started to flutter. I bounced nervously.

"Stop doing the bathroom dance and knock," Kay whispered.

"I'm not doing the bathroom dance!" I whispered back. She laughed.

Kay always knew the right words to say to get me to do something. I took a deep breath and knocked on the door. We waited. There was no answer.

"He's not here," I said. I turned around. "You'll just have to wa--"

"Not so fast," Kay said.

I watched in horror as Kay took out her keycard. She stuck it in the slot, sunk to the ground, did something weird with her nail and the display uncertaintly flickered green.

She snickered and opened the door. I gasped. "Kay, what are you doing?"

"Sometimes I get bored and watch Modern Marvels. Hotel systems aren't as fool-proof as you think."

I stared at her in horror. Kay looked smug. The first thought that came to my mind was to run away. Before I could, Kay tugged me into the room.

The first thing I heard was the shower running. The thought of Nate naked and soapy in such close proximity to me was too much.

"We shouldn't be in here," I hissed. Kay just smiled. I stood like a defenseless status and watched Kay walk over to his duffel bags on his bed. She started going through them. After a minute she held up a box of condoms and shook them in my direction.

My armpits started to sweat.

"Kay!" I hissed. She giggled softly and put them back.

"Fine," she whispered. Kay started to walk towards me. I slapped her shoulder. She was having way too much fun at my expense.

We were almost back to the door when the bathroom door started to open. We both froze. My blood seemed to stop flowing throgh my veins. I couldn't think. I couldn't breathe.

But not Kay. In a second she had tugged the both of us under the bed. I heard a screaming in my ears that could only be coming from within. I hit her shoulder again. Kay was shaking like she was laughing. Ugh!

The sound of the bathroom door closing caught our attention. I saw two strong looked bare feet walk towards the bed. They stopped inches from our face. They were Nate's feet. I gripped the carpet with my fingernails. I was sure we were going to be caught.

After a minute, the feet walked away from the bed ad walked over to a small table where his laptop was. Music flooded the room. The feet started to move to the beat.

I felt Kay wiggle up. She pushed back the bedspread. I was about ready to reach for her when she turned around and gave me a thumbs up. My curiosity got the best of me. I wiggled up beside her. My mouth went dry.

Nate was wearing a white towel wrapped low around his waist. A mat of dark hair disappeared under the terrycloth. My breasts tingled just thinking about what was hiding under that scrap.

I watched as he walked back into the bathroom. I knew I should have moved, but I couldn't. The sight of his strong calf muscles were burned into my retinas.

Luckily, my immobility proved to be a good thing. Nate came back within seconds with a hairbrush in his hand.

And he started to sing.

He didn't have a good voice. But what he lacked in musical ability he made up for with the way he moved his body. A rush of delicious wet heat rushed south. It became worse when he dropped his towel.

My mouth opened; I couldn't contain the moan that was going to burst forth. Before it could escape, Kay clamped my hand over my mouth. I exhaled hot heavy breath against her fingers.

Nate was incredible. My eyes soaked in every square inch of him. My entire being was screaming. He looked amazing with clothes on, but naked...

I wanted him more than I had wanted anything else before. Kay pressed her face against my back. He was all mine to look at. I knew it was wrong to be gawking at him with him so completely unaware, but I couldn't look away.

He took the towel and draped it over the back of his chair. I started to sweat as I watched his hand press against his chest and move it's way down. He stopped right before he got to his member. He turned and headed towards the bed.

The bed creaked above us. I was in torture. I had never been so turned on in my life. I wiggled uncomfortably. He was getting dressed right above us. I didn't want him dressed. I wanted to come out, toss him back on the bed and...and...

Kay finally let go of my mouth when I heard the bathroom door open again. My imagination had gotten the best of me. Nate's stocking feet disappeared as he closed the door again. I heard the faucet turn on.

"Let's go!" Kay whispered. We both wiggled out from under the bed. Kay threw open the door and we dove into the hall. I hit the wall hard and slid down. My legs were shaking.

"Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god," I said. Kay laughed.

"See? Now aren't you glad that I made you go in there?" she asked.

I looked at Kay. She seemed unaffected by the whole thing. I was completely affected. Kay pulled my to my feet and rubbed my back.

"Let's go get you calmed down," she said in an almost mom-like voice.

"I'm calm," I mumbled as we made our way back to my room. I fanned myself.

"Is it hot in here? It's hot in here," I complained.

Kay stuck her keycard in the reader and opened the door. I shuffled in. I headed right towards the bathroom.

"Where are you going?" Kay called.

"I'm going to take a shower," I said. I needed a shower.

"That shower head looks like it'll do a good job!" she teased.

"Shut up!" I called back. I closed the door and began to undress. Every inch of my skin was so completely alive and aware. I was making myself shiver.

And even though Kay had been teasing, I was thinking the same thing about that shower head. It was the closest I was going to get to Nate at the moment.

Something told me it was going to be a poor substitute.
Chapter 10 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Ten

"Are you girls going to be okay on your own for dinner tonight?" Angel asked. Kay and I looked at each other and smiled.

"Sure," I said.

"Will you stay out of trouble?" Angel added. Kay laughed.

"Of course."

Angel took a hard look at us. She picked up her purse.

"I have a couple people to meet while we're out here," she explained. "But tomorrow all three of us will go shopping."

"Sounds great," I said with a grin.

Angel left ten minutes later. Kay stepped out on the balcony and leaned over far enough that she almost gave me a heart attack.

"Where should we go?" she asked.

"I don't know. What do you feel like having?" I asked.

Before she could respond, I heard a tap on my door. I walked over and peered through the little peephole. I gasped.

"Is it Nate?" Kay asked. I waved at her to be quiet and opened the door.

Nate was dressed in a white tank, a short sleeve flannel shirt, and jeans. He gave me a sparkling white smile.

"Hey," he said.

I blinked. I knew I was supposed to do something, but what? Oh right!

"Hi," I said. I stepped back. "Come in."

Nate stepped into the entertainment lounge. He looked around. I could tell he was impressed.

"Nice," he said. He looked back at me.

"So did your friend's flight get in?"

"It did," Kay said. She stepped into the room. Nate turned around. Kay held out her hand. I noticed she held it in such a way to hide her wrist.

"I'm Kay."

Nate took her hand. "Nate."

"We were just trying to figure out where to go for dinner," Kay said once he dropped her hand. "Have you been to L.A. before?"

Nate smiled over at me. "I can't say that I have." Kay winked behind his shoulder.

"Would you like to join us?" I asked. He ran a hand through his hair.

"I don't want to interrupt girl time..."

Kay laughed. "Girl time? Don't be silly. That comes way later tonight. You up for a panty pillow fight BooBoo?"

I was pretty sure if my eyes widened any more they would fall out of their sockets. I opened my mouth but it flapped helplessly like a fish. Nate didn't take his eyes of me.

"Do you have a favorite restaurant out here?" Nate asked. I swallowed down my mortification. Panty pillow fight?

"I like the Falcon," I finally said. "They've got good food. But it's fancy."

Kay clapped her hands excitedly. "I brought a dress!"

Nate gave me a dimpled grin. "I have a tie."

I was trying not to melt under his force field.

"Then we have a plan," I said.

Before Nate left, he spotted the large bouquet of roses.

"Secret admirer?" he teased. Kay rolled her eyes.

"Trevor Tylers," she said coldly.

Nate picked up the card and read it. I quickly wiped my sweaty palms on my jeans. My palms had never been as sweaty as they were around him. I watched as he put the card back into its holder. He looked thoughtful.

"Well," Nate said lightly. He winked at me.

"Looks like I'm just going to have to work harder."

He walked up to me, kissed my cheek (my cheek!) and left. Kay walked over and grabbed my arm.

"If he works any harder, I'm going to have to get parental permission to watch this unfold," Kay said. "He's pushing NC-17."

All I could do was nod. My thoughts were already X-rated.

----------------------------------------

"I think that's the most modest dress I've ever seen you wear," I said an hour later as I slid a pair of hoops through my ears.

Kay ran a hand down the grey and black number that looped around her neck.

"Mom threw away a lot of my stuff," she said. "Even my wigs."

Kay's brow furrowed.

"Well, I'm sure she just wanted to take that temptation away from you," I reasoned. Kay shook out her hair.

"Yeah," she said with a sigh.

I turned towards the mirror. My legs were smooth, my hair was brushed until it shone. I had opted for a new little black dress with a scooped back and a jungle print sash around my waist. Matching print shoes completed the outfit.

"You look like you're going to get wild tonight," Kay teased. I smiled.

"It's the pressure of being famous. I can't wear the same thing twice. I've learned to add new things to make old stuff look new. That's where the sash come in."

"I bet Nate will like it."

I ran my hand along it. "Yeah?"

"Totally. Of course he's probably still thinking out pillow fight."

"I can't believe you said that. When have we ever had a pillow fight in our panties?"

Kay giggled. "It's every man's fantasy."

I rolled my eyes and grabbed my clutch purse.

"Are you ready?" I asked. Kay stole a couple wrap bracelets from my box and covered her wrists. She fluffed her hair.

"Ready."

--------------------------------

We met Nate down in the lobby. He had packed more than just a tie. He had on a dark dress shirt and dark pants. A silver tie was secured around his neck, but not too tight. He made dressy look great. Of course, he made naked look better.

I shook my head. I couldn't think of that right now.

"Well, I'm a lucky guy," he said as we walked up. "I get to escort two lovely ladies tonight."

As he said that, he didn't look away from me. He took my hand. I was a little worried Kay might feel like a third wheel but she just pointed towards the door.

"Chuck's waiting. Let's roll."

The Falcon was packed when we got there. Even though a downside of being famous is the need to always look new, the upside was worming your way to the front of the line. In less than fifteen minutes, we were seated at a premium table.

"How awesome is Brooke?" Kay asked Nate as she picked up a menu. Unbeknownst to Kay, his hand was on my knee. He gave me a little squeeze.

"She's awesome," he agreed. He opened a menu and slid closer to me. We looked down.

The next twenty minutes were spent ordering drinks and food. As the waiter walked off with our order, Nate took my hand.

"You want to dance?"

On the weekends, a local club DJ was brought in. There was a huge empty space in the middle of the restaurant where bodies were pressed together moving to the music. I glanced at Kay. She waved me on.

"Go!"

I looked back at Nate. I thought of him dancing naked. I nodded.

He led me down onto the floor. His arm wrapped around my waist; he pulled me towards him.

"Kay seems cool!" he shouted above the music. I laughed. If he only knew...

"She is!" I said.

We worked our way through several fast songs. Finally, the DJ switched to something slower. Nate held me in his strong arms. I nuzzled into his neck. I felt his lips graze my shoulder.

"Did you like what you saw today?" he whispered as we swayed. I lifted my head.

"What I saw?" I asked in confusion. My pulse picked up. The dimple came out in full force.

"It was hard not to notice your blue eyes poking out from under my bed," he said huskily.

I moaned. He knew!

"I'm so sorry," I gasped. His hand slid into the low back of my dress. I felt his fingers run along the thin fabric of my panties.

"I'm not," he said. He kissed me passionately. By the time I came up for air, I felt like I had been submerged underwater for several minutes. His bright green eyes had darkened to a deep hunter.

"Did you like what you saw?" he repeated.

There were so many ways I could answer. But I wasn't feeling witty at the moment.

"It was all very nice," I said thickly.

He kissed me again. I had never felt so attuned to my feminine side as I did pressed against his body. When he pulled away, I suddenly felt incomplete.

"Our food's probably ready," he said. It took me a moment to remember where we were. I nodded.

"We better get back to Kay," I said as sanity slowly seeped back in.

His hand slid out of the back of my dress. He held onto my hand and we wove through the crowd.

I knew that if Kay hadn't been there that I probably would have skipped dinner.

I wanted to go straight for dessert.
Chapter 11 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Eleven

By the time that Nate and I got back to the table, the food had arrived. We sat down, folded our napkins in our laps and dug in.

"So, how long have you been friends with Brooke?" Nate asked.

"Forever," we said in unison. We laughed.

"Do you sing?" he asked. Kay smiled.

"Only in the shower," she said sweetly.

I couldn't believe her insinuation. I kicked her, but she didn't flinch. "What about you?" she continued.

His eyes sparkled. "Only when I think no one's watching," he said.

I almost died. I grabbed my water glass and took a big drink. Nate held his fork casually in his right hand, but his left hand found its way back to my knee. His fingers slowly stroked up, but he did't go any further then the bottom of my dress.

Even though I kind of wanted him too. I willed myself to focus.

"How's school going?" I asked Kay. I needed to change the subject away from showers. That only reminded me of how amazing Nate looked naked.

Kay snorted. "It's school."

"But you're going the whole day," I pointed out. "That's got to be different."

"Well, at least people are talking to me now that I'm not just one of the weird homeschooled kids."

I smiled. "You've never been weird."

Kay laughed and speared a huge hunk of lettuce onto her fork.

I felt as red as the lobster that I was picking through. I had never felt so many emotions at one time.

It was wearing me out.

We spent the rest of the evening talking about ridiculous things, but it was perfect. Kay seemed relaxed and I loved hearing her laugh. When we finally got up to leave, Nate took both of our arms and escorted us out into the SUV.

"Thanks for inviting me," Nate said politely.

"It was fun," Kay said. There was no sarcasm in her voice. She smiled at me.

My bestie approved.

When we got back to the hotel, Kay slid into the room claiming that she needed to floss. It was a lame excuse, but it left me and Nate out in the hall. I looked up into his gorgeous eyes.

"Thanks for coming with us," I said softly. He shook his head.

"Thanks for asking me."

His hand ran through my hair and tugged gently. My chin lifted; my lips parted. He took my bottom lip between his teeth and nibbled before kissing me.

Somehow that little kiss landed me against the wall. Nate's hands returned to the back of my dress. They slid under my panties and grabbed my bare ass. I gasped. My fingers clawed into his hair. This was bad.

In a good way.

With his leverage on what I always considered too much backside, he pulled me forward for our groins to meet. I about died when I felt his erection. His lips fell from mine. His dark head lowered to my neck and sucked greedily.

When he finally looked up, I was sure that he was going to scoop me up and take me back to his bedroom. Instead he stroked my face.

"Sweet dreams," he whispered.

"But--" I started to say. He kissed me quickly and walked down the hall. I didn't move until I heard his door close.

"Ugggggh," I gargled.

I stayed out in the hall until I knew I could speak again. The feel of him pressed against me was still burning into my flesh.

"Need another shower?" Kay teased the moment I entered the room. I laughed and kicked off her shoes.

"I'm fine," I said. I was proud of myself. I even sounded fine!

We spent the next hour getting into our pajamas. I racked my brain for a good distraction from thinking about Nate.

"Hey Kay?" I called out as Kay brushed, flossed, and gargled in the bathroom. I heard her spit.

"Yeah?"

I grabbed the memory card Noah had given me before I left. I walked into the bathroom and held it aloft. "Noah gave this to me before I left. I think it's my next hit. Wanna listen?" I asked.

Kay's eyes lit up. She smiled. "Sure."

She followed me into the room and we crawled onto the huge bed. I grabbed my laptop from the table and balanced it on my legs.

"I hope he's not pranking me," I said as I inserted the small memory card. After a few clicks, the media player started. We settled back into the pillows.

"Okay, so you wanted another hit and this is what I came up with. Don't blame me if lightning only strikes once," Noah warned. I rolled her eyes. Noah was such a goober.

There was a pause and some fumbling as if he was fiddling with the mixing board.

What came out next was incredible. I closed my eyes and tried to imagine myself singing instead of Noah. The song was so totally meant for a girl; the lyrics were filled with a strong message about lost love, new love, and unrequited love. It sounded a lot like my life. Noah was going to get rich off my drama.

"So, that was it," Noah said after the last note faded away. He laughed. "Does it sum up all the crappy boyfriends you've had lately?"

He was also a mindreader it seemed. I couldn't help but laugh.

"I call it Heartbreaker," Noah explained. "But you can change it. Just remember who gets the dough if it hits number one."

"Maybe I'll get another necklace," Kay teased. I jabbed her side.

"It's really good," I said. "I can't believe he's so talent--"

"I have something else I want you to hear," Noah said awkwardly. Kay and I both looked at the screen in surprise.

"I've been working on this for awhile. It's really special to me and you can't sing this one," he warned. "But...let me know what you think, okay?"

He sounded so shy. He had my attention. There were a few moments of mechanical clicks and pops. I heard a strum of a guitar.

"It's called Just the Way You Are," he explained. "Or better yet...Kayleigh's song."

Kay's eyes widened. She seemed shocked.

The song was gorgeous. Noah's voice, the voice that sounded so much like dad's, was filled with so much emotion. He owned the song.

And by the end, he totally owned Kay's heart.

"Kay, are you okay?" I asked. The tears were pouring from her eyes.

Kay tilted her head back and took a breath.

"I love him," she said breathlessly. She buried her face in her hands and just lost it. I wrapped my arms around her.

The revelation didn't shock me. Ever since the night at the hotel, I had a feeling that my bestie and my brother were going to end up together.

And I was okay with that.

NoNo was a great guy. And Kay was a great girl.

I loved them both with all my heart.

------------------------------

I woke up early the next morning. After she had finally stopped crying, Kay had been totally exhausted. She wrapped herself around one of the big fluffy pillows and drifted off to sleep.

As for me, I couldn't fall asleep as easily. My body was still wound up from my makeout session in the hall. I spent a long time just staring up at the ceiling and dreaming of what it would be like in his arms.
Chapter 12 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Twelve

"Hey," I said. I wiped my neck with my sports towel and stepped off the treadmill.

"You look good," he said earnestly. I smiled.

"It's only been a few weeks," I reminded him. He nodded.

"It's seems like it's been longer," he said absently.

I gestured towards a large yoga mat in the corner of the room. We sat down facing each other.

"Did you get my flowers?" he asked.

"I did. They're beautiful."

His blue eyes met mine. They reminded me of turbulent oceans.

"What's going on with you?" I asked. There was no ignoring my intuition.

"I want to explain the phone call," he pleaded.

"I'm not mad," I said. "If that's what you think."

I didn't want to talk about how much it had hurt me to be dumped like that. Just seeing him was causing those emotions to bubble uncomfortably close to the surface.

Trevor shook his head. "It's not that. It's...it was a lie."

My brow furrowed. "What do you mean?"

"I didn't mean any of the things I said. I didn't want to break up with you. My mom called me that night at the hotel screaming. Dad was going beserk. I took the first flight I could back home. Things were a mess. Mom ended up in the hospital; she lost the baby. And dad...well, dad suddenly wasn't happy that I left in the first place. He made me call you. It was either call you and be an asshole or watch him punch my nine-month old brother in the face."

It all poured out of him like he couldn't talk fast enough. He held his hands out, palms ut, as if providing an invisible peace offering.

I didn't know what to say. I couldn't wrap my mind around the kind of family violence he had experienced. I tugged at my ponytail.

"Trevor, he can't keep doing this," I said.

"I know," he said. His voice took on a hard edge. "I went to the police. Like I said in my note, these past few weeks have been a nightmare. My mom checked into alcohol rehab; grandma took my little sister and two younger brothers. Dad's sitting in jail. And my management team has been working tooth and nail to keep the paparazzi oblivious."

"They've been doing a good job. I haven't seen a thing," I said.

Trevor gave me a small smile.

"I want to keep it that way. Of course, the family drama isn't all that's been happening. The guys and I found out that Grenadine couldn't even sell out the venues we booked. But that turned out to be a good thing. It brought me back to you."

I blushed. I was so confused. He was being so open and honest with me. I could understand why he had to lie. But things were complicated.

There was a little someone called Nate in my life now too.

As I sat racking my brain for something to do, Trev reached over and took my hand.

"I hope you can forgive me. I swear I didn't mean to hurt you. I haven't been able to get you off my mind. The night I left was so crazy and there was so much we left unfinished..."

I thought about how I felt that night in the hotel room. I still harbored a lingering bit of rejection. But I also harbored love and gratitude for him. After all, I would never be able to forget how he had come to my aid when I had been at my most vulnerable.

"I'm...uh, this is a lot," I explained. Trevor nodded. He dropped my hand.

"I need time to think," I continued.

"I understand. I just hope that maybe we can talk and see if we can eventually pick up where we left off," he said.

"Maybe," I said thickly. He smiled.

"Enjoy your day," he said. "I'll see you tomorrow for rehearsals."

"Tomorrow," I repeated dumbly.

He stood up and headed out of the room. I wrapped my hands around my calves leaned forward, and exhaled deeply.

"Was that my competition?"

My head shot up. Nate had a towel slung over his neck; he was dressed to sweat.

"Uh, um, er," I totally felt like my mom as I made a circular motion in the air with my hands. Nate walked over and crouched down by me.

"I'm fluent in French and English but not in 'er,'" he teased.

I swallowed the ridiculous amount of saliva that flooded my mouth.

"That was Trevor," I finally said.

Nate nodded. "So did he earn your forgiveness?"

I licked my lips. "He had a pretty valid case," I said honestly.

It was hard to talk about Trevor to Nate. Whenever I was within Nate's 'zone' I was distracted. He took my hand and pulled me to my feet.

"So I don't stand a chance do I?" Nate asked.

"NO!" I said loudly. I clapped my free hand over my mouth. Landon wasn't the only one in the family who needed volume control.

"No," I said like a normal human being. "I told him I need time to think."

Nate smiled. "Well, y'know," he said lightly. "we are both teenagers. And teenagers date. People."

He squeezed my hand. It felt nice.

"Are you saying that maybe I can see both of you?" I asked.

Nate laughed. "I guess I am. I mean I don't want to be thirty and have you bouncing back and forth, but I also don't want to put a permanent wrinkle line in your forehead."

He dropped by hand and ran a thumb over the little crease that I knew appeared whenever I was stressed.

"I don't need until I'm thirty to figure this out," I said with a smile. At least I hoped I didn't need that long.

Nate's eyes sparkled. "See how easy that was? Are you done working out?"

I had only spent about five minutes on the treadmill. But truthfully, I was done.

"Yeah, Kay's probably up by now. We're going out for breakfast and a day of shopping with Aunt Angel."

"You can buy something sexy, but you have to wear it during my time," Nate teased. I pushed his shoulder.

"Shut up!"

He laughed. "Okay, I'll be serious. Have a good day."

He kissed me softly. A part of me ached for the way we had gone at it in the hallway, but Nate seemed to have other ideas. He pulled away and took the towel from his shoulder.

I watched him walk towards the weight machine. He slowly eased himself down. His legs spread out to balance the weight. I had a total 'Kay' moment in wanting to try to peek up his shorts (not that I didn't know what was up there). Between that thought and the sheer idea of his muscles rippling as he did reps was too much for me. I made a beeline for the door.

Nate had surprised me. I didn't know of many other guys who would be okay with me seeing Trevor again to figure things out. I appreciated that more than he knew. I hated leaving things unfinished. Things with Trevor were unfinished.

Of couse, the way Nate had phrased it made it seem like he might see someone else too. I bit the corner of my nail as the elevator made its way up to my floor. The thought of another woman in his arms made me queasy. I pushed the thought out of my mind.

I just wanted to enjoy a fun day with the girls. I would call Trevor tonight and tell him about Nate and the arrangement.

I just hoped he would be as accepting of the game plan. Mom always told me that jealousy brought out the worst in guys.

I didn't want to find that out firsthand.

----------------------------------------

Author's Note: Updates will be sporadic this week. I have an insane amount of things going on and I don't want to just slop chapters together. Just watch your e-mail for chapter postings.
Chapter 13 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Thirteen

By the time I got up to my hotel room, Kay had already showered, changed, and eaten.

"Sup?" she asked. I sighed. I needed a sounding board and Kay was a good listener...not that she was going to like the subject, of course.

"Trevor and I talked."

She made a face. "Where?"

"The gym."

"Did you clobber him with a dumbbell?" she asked. I knew there were no warm and fuzzy feelings for Trevor. After what he had said to her and about her, I couldn't really blame her. It was one of the things we needed to work on.

Anyone that dated me had to like Kay. After sixteen years as besties, we were kind of a package deal.

"No," I said. "He explained what happened. He didn't even want to break up with me. It was this whole thing with his family."

I launched into the whole story. It poured from me like a leaky faucet. I took a deep breath as I neared the end.

"And then Nate came in and saw Trevor leave," I finished.

Kay's eyes widened. "What did he say?"

"He said the logical thing to do was date both of them until I figure this out."

Kay snorted. "He suggested that?"

"Well, he can date other people too," I explained. "If he wants."

I really hoped he wouldn't want to.

"Oh, he'll want to," Kay said. The mind reader struck again.

I frowned. "What does that mean?" I asked. I knew what it meant, of course, but I still wanted to hear her theory.

"He's going to pick the prettiest girl and try to get under your skin. He's trying to play some psychology on you," Kay said wisely.

I didn't know what to say. I had a feeling she was right even though I hadn't it all the same. I slid my hair out of my ponytail and walked towards the room.

"Well, it won't work," I said. I tried to sound confident. I closed the bathroom door, and shook out my hair in frustration.

"It's nothing a day of shopping won't fix," I whispered to myself as I turned on the water.

Shopping was totally therapeutic.

---------------------------

Shopping was exactly what I needed. Kay, Angel, and I hit all of the shops on Rodeo Drive and North Beverly. By the time we had a late lunch and returned to the hotel, my feet were killing me.

"So, I'm thinking we could watch a movie and veg out tonight," I said as Kay and I walked down the hall to her room.

"That sounds g--"

Kay stopped. We both spotted NoNo at the same time. He was camped out in front of the door to my room.

"NOAH!" I said. I dropped my bags. NoNo stood up and hugged me tightly.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

Noah smiled. "It was a surprise," he said. He glanced over at Kay.

"Hey," he said softly. Kay smiled.

"Hey."

She dropped her bags. In a flash she was hugging Noah and crying.

"I didn't want you to hear it that way," he whispered into her hair. Obviously he had gotten my email.

"It was beautiful," Kay choked.

I so felt like I was intruding. As quietly as possible, I picked up all of our bags. I scooted around the two of them and walked into the room.

They deserved their privacy.

Plus, I still had to get used to seeing them together. Like that.

I tossed the bags on a couple of the couch in the entertainment lounge and made my way into the bedroom. I flopped down on my stomach, flipped over, and pulled out my cellphone.

I figured it was as good of time as any to make my phone call. I dialed Trevor's number. He picked up halfway through the first ring.

"Hey," he said happily. "I didn't expect to hear from you so soon."

"I needed to talk to you."

"What's up?"

I stared up at the ceiling. "Well, when we were talking this morning I was a little lost for words. There were a couple things I didn't mention."

"Like what?"

I bit my lip. I did a couple deep inhales and exhales through my nose. "I've started to see someone else."

"Oh."

"But it's not serious! Yet," I said. I don't know why I added the word 'yet.'

"What are you trying to say?" Trev asked cautiously.

"I'm saying that, I thought maybe, well if you want to, that I could see both of you for awhile," I explained awkwardly.

There was several seconds of silence.

"I'm guessing it's the difference between not seeing you at all and seeing you, right?" he guessed.

I pressed my palm up to my face; I cracked my jaw. It was an even worse habit of mine than constantly licking my lips or the every-now-and-then hand wave.

"Right," I said quietly.

"Well, then I guess it will have to be okay," Trevor said. He coughed. "Who's the other guy?"

I hesitated for a second. I realized there wasn't going to be a good way to keep it a secret. Plus, it wasn't fair. Nate already knew who Trevor was.

"His name is Nate. He's my tech guy and photographer."

"So he's on the tour?" Trevor asked. The level of dislike in his voice suddenly went up several notches.

"Yes," I said a little harsher than I intended.

Trevor let out a sigh. "Okay. So how is this going to work?"

"Work?"

"Do I have to see you on a schedule?"

I hadn't thought that far yet. "I...I don't know. I'll have to get back to you on that," I said. "I'll see you at rehearsal tomorrow," I added. I declined to mention Nate was probably also going to be there.

"Well that's something," Trevor said gently.

I kicked off my shoes. "Kay's also going to be there," I added. I hadn't wanted to come right out and discuss her, but I figured there were other ways to get to the point of the matter. This was my first tactic. I hoped it would work.

"She's out here?" Trevor asked.

"Yup," I said. "That's not a problem is it?"

"No, not at all. It's just...I owe her an apology."

I smiled. My tactfulness had worked.

"Oh?" I said.

"I said something to her I regret," Trevor said honestly. "And I didn't mean what I said about her to you either. I just knew that would make you mad."

"It did," I said seriously. He let out a groan.

"I'm an idiot," he said morosely.

I felt a pang. He sounded like he was internally beating himself up.

"You can make it right tomorrow," I promised him.

We talked for a few more minutes. I could tell he wasn't sold on the whole 'seeing someone else' thing, but he didn't say anything more.

"Alright, well my brother's here so I'm going to go hang out with him and Kay," I said.

"Have a good night," Trevor said earnestly. I smiled.

"You too."

I hung up and rolled off the bed. I had just walked into the lounge area when the door open. NoNo's blonde shaggy head poked its way through the door.

"Hey BooBoo, Kay and I are going to see a movie. Wanna come?"

My initial thought was 'hell, yeah!' My second thought was that they needed a chaperone. My third thought was that I wasn't setting a great example lately to even think of being their chaperone. My last thought was that they deserved an actual date.

"Go on," I said. I waved at the door. "Enjoy yourselves."

Kay nudged Noah aside and poked her head in. "Are you sure?" she asked. She looked totally happy. If I wasn't sure before, I was now.

"Absolutely," I said. "Go."

They turned to go. "Wait!" I called out. Noah and Kay both appeared back in the doorway.

"Where are you staying?" I asked Noah. He smiled.

"I'm bunking with your techie," he said. Kay gave me an amused look.

"Have a good night!" she said.

The door closed after them. I blew a piece of hair out of my face.

Noah was staying with Nate. That could be interesting. Or bad. Or both.

I sank down on the couch. I was all alone for the evening. I was just deciding whether or not to enjoy a movie while vegging in bed when my phone rang.

It was Nate.

"Hello?"

"I just got out of the elevator and just passed a Carter and a Kay going down. Did they leave you all alone?"

I smiled. "Kinda."

"Want company?" he asked hopefully.

My pulse picked up. I glanced around the room.
"Sure," I said. "Come on down."

Nate laughed. I heard a knock on the door. He must have called me from right outside the room.

In my excitement, I hung up on him. Aunt Angel had gone out for the night. The rest of my band was in places unknown. Trevor was probably in the hotel, but I didn't know where. We were going to be alone, but really...

How much trouble could we get into?
Chapter 14 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Fourteen

"So what would Ms. Brooklyn like to do?" Nate asked with a grin.

I bit my tongue. Kay was rubbing off on me badly. Dirty thoughts flowed through my mind like wine.

Not that I had ever had wine, but it seemed like a good analogy.

"I was just going to stay in and watch a movie," I said.

"That sounds good to me," Nate said. "Do you like scary movies?"

It was a silly question. I was a Carter. I was practically raised on horror movies. I smiled.

"Love 'em."

So that was how Nate and I ended up in my bedroom twenty minutes later waiting for Thirst for Blood 2 to start. The TV in the lounge didn't have the right connection to watch movies.

I had to wonder if that was some sort of fate.

"Let's skip through the previews," Nate suggested. I nodded. We were both laying on my bed, our backs propped up on the tons of pillows piled up behind us. Nate's legs were casually crossed at the ankles.

I was laying like a corpse.

"Is that how you always relax?" Nate teased. He mimed my 'straight at my sides' arms. I laughed.

"No," I said. He pressed play on the Main DVD Menu. He put the remote down and ran a hand along my shoulders.

"Your tense."

His strong fingers massaging the back of my neck felt amazing. It was in direct contrast to the horror music that began to play throughout the sound system in the room. Nate pulled me close and I curled up to him.

I have to admit that dad has taught me well. I had seen so many horror movies in my life that they were becoming pretty predictable. Even so, I couldn't help but do the typical 'girl' thing whenever someone jumped out of the murky shadows. I jerked and buried my face into Nate's chest.

I didn't know what cologne he wore, but it smelled amazing.

"You okay?" Nate whispered after the third time I did the cologne smelling maneuver. I looked up at him.

"Sorry," I said softly. His hand brushed along the side of my face.

"It's alright," he said. His eyes studied my face intently. "I'll protect you."

Suddenly, the movie wasn't important. Only three people were left and statistics showed that one, maybe two at the most, would survive to the end. Nate kissed me and I reclined back into the pillows and the screams on TV were nothing but background noise.

Nate hovered over me. My hands slid up his arms. His t-shirt molded the arm muscles I had drooled over earlier in the morning at the gym. His hands slipped to my waist and pulled me down a little more.

"You're so damn beautiful," he whispered. His lips lingered on mine before starting a trail down my throat. My hands slipped from his arms. They pressed against his abs and made their way around to his backside.

He had an amazing butt.

He shifted his weight over me and in a second I was enclosed in a giant Nate cocoon. My skin tingled from where his kisses had left their mark. His hand shot under my shirt and ran over my breasts. His moan sent all of my senses aflutter. My leg lifted on its own accord and pressed against his side.

It all happened to quickly, yet each movement was burned into my mind. Shirts were discarded, jeans quickly followed. His eyes were a raging inferno; they bore into my face...my breasts. I felt exposed, but not in a bad way. My eyes trailed off his solid abs and down farther still to the straining member in his boxers.

Sanity struggled with my recklessness. I knew that this probably shouldn't happen. I mean, I wanted to give Trevor a chance. I was still confused.

But my body wasn't confused. The dial was cranked to max and was screaming to feel what I had never experienced before.

As if in a drunken stupor, I watched Nate's head lower. He sucked at my nipples through my lace bra. My mouth opened; a gasp escaped from somewhere in the depths of my throat. My hands felt like floundering fish; they grabbed onto the bedspread, the nails digging into the cotton.

His hands slid around my back and I arched myself to him. He had my bra undone in seconds. He slid it off as if slowly unwrapping a present. His mouth curved in appreciation. Then his mouth continued its show of appreciation.

"Oh," I moaned. I wiggled underneath him. His hands wrapped around my hips. He pressed himself against me. There was still the separation of cotton between us but hot, wet flashes of desire coursed straight through me. I managed to take one of my spazzing hands and run my fingertip along him. His mouth paused in its caressing of my breasts. His whole body tensed.

Kay had told me such a move was like flipping an ignition switch. His fingers slipped under my panties and made quick work of disposal. His own boxers landed somewhere nearby.

His hands slid between my thighs. I closed my eyes. His fingertips brushed me.

"I want you so bad," he said huskily.

"Me too," I said. I licked my lips. It sounds redundant, but my pulse was racing.

It was the effect he had on me.

"Have you ever--?" he asked hesitantly. My eyes opened.

"No," I said honestly.

"But you want to?"

He was giving me one last opportunity to back out. My eyes greedily devoured his masculine form.

"Yes," I said. I knew I didn't want to give myself time to think. Mom always said dad was the first man that had caused her common sense to jump out the window.

Nate seemed to do the same for me.

For a second, I thought I might have sent myself nto rejection land again without even knowing it. His body slid from mine. There was a fumbling on the floor. A second later I realized he had just been rooting around in his jeans pocket. I remembered the box Kay had held up in his bedroom.

He was thinking. I wasn't. I would have actually jumped into this without even thinking about a condom.

Considering my mom's track record, that would have been the stupidest thing ever.

Once he was done, he smiled and took my hands. As if they were baby birds, he looped his fingers with my own. His frame lowered onto mine. I buried my face into his neck and kissed the solid muscle.

"I want to see those pretty blue eyes," he whispered. I wasn't expecting that. My head fell back against the pillow. I was lost in his own beautiful evergreens.

He was so gentle...way more gentle than I had thought he might be. Our gaze didn't break as he entered me but as I exhaled a long shaky breath I didn't know I was holding, he gave me a soft kiss.

"You okay?" he asked. I nodded. I was okay. I was perfect. I was...

I was hopelessly lost in the moment.

---------------------------------

When my phone rang, it seemed like it could have been ringing from Mars. Nate and I were under the covers and he was holding me tightly in his arms. We had spent the longest time laying there afterwards, just kissing, whispering, and touching.

It was perfect.

I chose to ignore the phone the first time. When it rang again ten minutes later, I answered in case it was Angel. I didn't even check the display.

"Hey sis, were you sleeping?" Noah asked.

"Sleeping?" I asked dumbled. Nate's fingers made a long stroke down my spine.

"Didn't you hear me call the first time?"

"What? Oh! Yeah I was...I was too far away from the phone," I fibbed.

"What are you doing?" NoNo asked.

"What am I doing? I'm..." my eyes flickered to the TV. "I'm watching a movie."

"Do you want to come bowling with Kay and me?" he asked.

Bowling was the farthest thing from my mind.

"Bowling? No, I don't think so. I'm getting really tired. But why don't you guys go? Have fun!" I said enthusiastically. Internally I was thinking that I didn't want them to come back.

Not yet. I wanted more time.

"I dunno. But we'll figure out something to do," Noah said.

"How's your date going?" I asked. I could almost hear Noah's smile when he replied.

"Fantastic."

I was happy for them. I was happy for me. I was happy at the world.

"Excellent. Have a good night."

"Night."

I hung up and settled back. Nate kissed me softly.

"They coming back?" he asked. I looped my arms around his neck.

"Not for awhile," I said.

He gave me an eskimo kiss. "Good. I'm not ready to leave."

I smiled. "I'm not ready for you to leave."

He kissed me again and every other thing in the room faded away again.

For at least a little while longer, there was only me and him.

I would worry about everything (and everyone) else when the sun rose on another day.

---------------------------------

Author's Note: I just wanted to thank everyone for wishing me a good trip. I didn't know when I would get back, but I got back early so you get this chapter I've been hoarding. AND now that it's over, I can finally tell you where I went. I went to Oprah to see BSB. Kevin showed up and they sang I Want it That Way. I got a Brian air kiss and I'm still freaking out at the moment. I've known I was going since Monday but we weren't allowed to tell ANYONE (which meant I was too distracted to do much fanfic writing!). Kevin showing up was a TOTAL surprise and I came so close to bawling my eyes out. I'm officially a puddle of mush today. I almost pulled a Livvy and spazzed in the bathroom afterwards, haha.
Chapter 15 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Fifteen

"You're pouting."

"I know."

"Please don't."

"I can't help it."

Kay held her curling iron aloft. "You don't have to leave your guy...er guys. I do."

I smiled. "Your guy, huh?"

Kay pulled a long strand of hair from her face and wrapped it around the barrel. "Brookie, I claimed the Carters a long time ago."

I laughed. I neglected to remind her of all the years she had called Noah an ornery brat. "True."

I was still in a good mood even though I was nervous. I wasn't sure how being around Nate would be now that we...well, y'know. And I wasn't sure if it would be awkward around Trevor now that I had...well, y'know.

Two hours later, Kay, Aunt Angel, Noah, and I took the car over to the venue. I had learned that Nate had gotten a head start.

I wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing.

Unfortunately, I found out once the three of us got our clearance badges and headed backstage. Nate and Trevor were staring each other down.

This couldn't be good.

"Good morning," I said awkwardly. They took a couple steps away from each other and turned. Nate gave me a dimpled grin. Trevor looked stressed.

"Morning," Nate said smoothly.

"Hey," Trevor said.

I felt the tension. Noah wrapped his arm around me.

"Excuse us," he said. Before I could react, he pulled me into the dressing room.

"What's going on?" he asked.

"On?" I said dumbly.

"Why are you playing the repeating game with me?"

I bit the inside of my cheek.

"Is Trevor bothering you? Dad sent me out here to make sure..."

"So he did send you out here for a reason!"

"Well, it was my excuse to see Kay," Noah answered quickly.

I sighed. "Everything's fine with Trevor. He explained what happened. He was having family issues and didn't really want to break up with me," I said in a rush.

Noah snorted.

"So then what's up with Nate? He freakin' spent half the night working on pictures of you for the website. And he asked me all kinds of questions this morning."

"Questions? What kind of questions?"

Noah snickered. I stomped my foot. "NOAH!"

"Questions you would ask if you were thinking about a relationship," he said. "What the hell are you doing?"

"I'm not doing anything!" I said helplessly. "I like them both."

"Dad's going to kill you," Noah said. He started to smile. I clapped my hand over his mouth.

"He won't kill me if he doesn't know. And you can't tell him."

I dropped my hand before he bit it.

"Why can't I tell him?"

"Because you're my brother."

Noah laughed. "That's why I have to tell. It's my job."

I felt tears spring to my eyes. "Please don't. I just need time to choose."

I knew the tears were going to get at him. He made a face.

"You better choose quickly," he warned. "Because if I don't tell dad it'll still get back to him."

I sighed. "I know."

We headed back into the hall. Nate was fiddling with his camera. Kay and Trevor were nowhere in sight.

"Where's Kay?" Noah asked.

"Trevor wanted to talk to her," Nate said.

I knew what Trevor wanted to talk to her about. I just hoped that she wasn't going to kick or hit him.

Kay was a little unpredictable at times.

Noah looked like he was going to go track them down, but just then Aunt Angel snagged him. I folded my arms and looked back at Nate.

"You look great," he said. I cracked a smile.

"Thanks."

"Can I be selfish and follow you around today?" he asked. "Maybe hide a VIP pass somewhere in town?"

The offer sounded good. Very good. But I knew I couldn't.

"I promised Trevor I'd meet the other guys and hang out at rehearsal," I said apologetically. Nate ran a hand through his hair.

"Okay. Rain check?"

I smiled. "Totally."

----------------------------------------

"This is Kyle, Devon, Preston, and Scott," Trevor said. I lifted my hand.

"Nice to meet ya," I said. They all responded with a similar comment.

Kay had come back from talking to Trevor looking a little less hostile. But just a little. We didn't have a long time to talk before Noah came back and whisked her away.

Then Trevor whisked me away.

"So what's the game plan?" Kyle asked. I made a mental note to get his autograph for Pey.

"Well, I'm not sure about your stage set-up, but it's going to have to be pretty simple," I said. "Most of my platforms and things aren't quickly put into place."

"We just need a place for the band," Scott said.

"And you have good piping guys, right?" Preston asked.

"Piping guys?" I asked in confusion.

"Yeah, y'know to pipe in the vocals?"

I blinked in surprise.

"You don't sing live?" I asked.

Everyone but Trevor laughed.

"How can we when we're dancing?"

"I dance," I explained.

"Only Trev insists on singing live," Devon said. "But his voice ends up being jumpy."

"So? It's better than looking like a puppet," Trevor shot back hotly.

I could sense a definite split between the other four guys and Trevor. I let them work it out and made my way onstage.

"You're early today Ms. Brooke," my sound guy called out. I slid my earpiece in and my mic on. I fiddled with clipping the little black box to my jeans.

"I'm bright eyed and bushy tailed, as my grandma would say," I called out.

I ran through a fast check. I know that's what VIP is supposed to be about, but I had a total equipment malfunction one time and saw the disappointment on the people's faces. Ever since then I always tried to do a pre-mic check. People paid too much money to watch me fumble.

"Sounds good," I said. I took out my earpiece.

"It does," a voice whispered right next to me. I jumped. Trevor smiled.

"Sorry, I was observing."

I laughed. "It's okay."

Compared to earlier around everyone else, he looked relaxed. And happy. I wanted to keep that momentum going.

"Do you want to do the duet with me tonight during my set?" I asked. His eyes widened.

"Really?"

I laughed. "Really. Just us two singing live."

"Totally live," he agreed. "I'm up for it."

I hugged him. He gave me a gentle squeeze.

"You would do so much better as a solo artist," I muffled into his chest. He let me go and rubbed the slight stubble that had erupted onto his cheek.

"Tell me about it."

------------------------------------------

Nate was like the invisible panther the entire day. I only spotted him halfway through the show. He was crouched in the corner halfway back into the crowd putting his zoom lens to work.

I appreciated that he had given my distance. Trevor and I had spent the afternoon snacking backstage, listening to music, stretching, and just falling back into the companionable way we were before.

"SUP LA?!" I screamed. Kay and Noah's arms waved in the air from the first row.

"I have a special treat for ya'all tonight. But first...can we give it up for Grenadine one more time?"

The crowd roared. I laughed. "Alright, well for the first time Trevor and I are performing our duet live. Trev, come out here."

He had done a quick wardrobe change. I was bedecked in heels and a sparkly dress. His dressier attire complimented mine perfectly.

He hugged me and kissed my cheek. I heard a few wolf whistles from the crowd. The music cued in and I was swept back into the performance.

But what a performance it was. There's something about singing with someone else that's totally indescribable.

So put me to the test
Why don't you
Put me to the test
Of all the guys
Who want you
You know that I'm the best


As Trevor was singing his eyes left mine and searched the crowd for just a moment during the chorus. Something told me he was looking for Nate. I glanced at Kay. She made bull horns and winked.

I knew what she was insinuating. There was a rivalry erupting and I was caught in between. When Trevor kissed me passionately at the end of the song, I couldn't help but wonder if it was the emotional connection of the song fueling his PDA or whether it was the knowledge that Nate was watching.

All of that flew through my head along with the fact that it was the best kiss Trevor had ever given me. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he hugged me tightly before he ran off stage leaving me flustered. I turned back to the crowd. The band launched into the next song and I struggled to remember the words.

I was doomed. I had two amazing kissers on my hands. Most girls would say I was a lucky bitch.

I was saying that the whole thing was a problem.

A problem I didn't know how to fix.

----------------------------------------

Author's Note: Keep your eyes on LJ (Live Journal). I'm going to post another exclusive later today. :)
Chapter 16 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Sixteen

"You've got Pey's birthday present?" I asked.

Noah nodded. "I've got Landon's too."

"I feel like a horrible sister. I'm going to miss both of their birthdays."

Noah smiled. "Well, I've always been their favorite anyhow."

My eyes widened. "No way."

Noah just laughed. "You'll be home for Halloween, right?"

I smiled. "Absolutely. I'm going to need a break."

"Yeah you will. From all these guys."

I frowned. "There's only two," I said.

"That's one too many," he replied.

I couldn't argue with that. We both lifted our heads as his flight number was called. I hugged him tightly.

"Be safe," I said.

"I will," he promised.

"Was that your flight number they just called?" Angel asked. She jogged up to us.

"Yeah," Noah said. Angel squeezed him tightly.

"I'm a horrible aunt. I hardly got to see you."

"It's okay," he assured. I knew it was okay. Less aunt time meant more Kay time.

My brother was easy to figure out sometimes.

Angel repeated what I had said about a safe flight. An explosion of tears erupted from me as Noah walked away. He turned.

"Bye NoNo," I choked.

"Bye Brookie," he said.

Then he was gone.

---------------------------------

"Did you miss your bus?" Angel asked as we climbed aboard.

I laughed. "Oh yeah. Totally," I said sarcastically.

Truthfully, I was a little grateful to be back on the bus. It was secluded. It wasn't like Nate or Trevor could walk over to it on a whim.

"I'm going to take the top bunk. It looks like your dad was eating Fritos in the lower one," Angel chided. I laughed.

I smiled. It wouldn't have surprised me in the least.

I drifted into my room and dumped my laptop bag in a chair. Angel seemed to sense I wanted to be alone. I heard her scuttling around her bunk. I curled up on my bed and pressed the button to slide my door closed. I listened to the bus roar to life.

I was glad that Kay had been there to talk to when the whole thing with Nate happened. Even so, I felt like I needed to confide in someone else.

I needed my mom. I took my phone out of my pocket and pressed my speed dial for home.

"Hello?"

Mom sounded tired but it was just good to hear her voice. I hadn't talked to her in over a week.

It was amazing how much had happened in that short time.

"Hi mom."

"Brooke! How's it going, sweetheart?"

"Good. Noah left a few hours ago."

"Dad's going to pick him up from the airport," mom confirmed. "Did the three of you have a good time?"

I smiled. "We did."

"How did the concert go with Grenadine?"

I rolled over onto my stomach. "It was good. Only Trevor sings live," I added.

"How is he?" mom asked cautiously.

I sighed. "Oh mom..."

I filled her in on what Trevor had told me. Mom made the appropriate noises and comments right when I wanted her to.

"So he's getting a second chance?" mom guessed.

"I think he deserves one," I said. "But there's a problem."

"Another one?"

I closed my eyes. "I have a lot of problems."

"Well, I've got time. Landon's actually taking a nap. I think he's going through a growth spurt."

I smiled. I realized that Peyton was probably in school. Mom actually had some rare alone time.

And she was giving it to me.

"You know that Nate's my techie, right?" I asked.

"Of course. Sam said he's a natural."

"He's a natural all right," I said. It came out dirtier than I had intended it to.

"Why don't I like the sound of that?" mom said suspiciously. I winced. After a pause, I filled her in on what was going on between Nate and I.

"Noah and Kay went and saw a movie and Nate stayed with me to watch a movie and..."

"Brooklyn, did he sleep with you?" mom asked.

I exhaled. "Yes."

"Oh, honey."

"I wanted to," I said in a rush.

"Was he careful?" mom asked. I knew this was awkward for her. Hell, it was totally awkward for me.

"Yes."

Mom sighed. "I think it's time you fill your prescription for birth control."

"They don't work for you," I pointed out.

"Tell me about it," mom said. "But I'd feel better knowing that you're being careful now that you're...active. Especially considering Nate's history."

My brow furrowed.

"His history?"

"He didn't tell you?"

I felt a rush of panic. "Tell me what?"

Mom sighed again. "Crap."

"Mom?"

"Sam told me that Nate's ex-girlfriend just had a baby a couple months ago. He might be the father."

"Might?"

"I don't know the whole story. I just know that if you two get together that I want you protected."

I felt numb. He had an ex-girlfriend? And possibly a baby? Aw, crap...

"I'll get my prescription filled at the next stop," I promised. "But I won't be sleeping with him again anytime soon."

"I wish your dad or I could be with you," mom said.

"You're not going to tell dad are you?" I asked. I could just picture dad turning green like the Incredible Hulk and smashing both guys into dust. Mom snorted.

"I'm not saying a word," she said. "I don't need my baby daddy in jail for murder."

I smiled weakly.

"If it helps, Aunt Angel's doing a good job," I said. "She was just busy that night and---"

"Sweetheart, I'm not faulting anyone. You can make your own decisions. But I'm your mom. I have to worry."

"I know," I mumbled.

"I miss you BooBoo," mom said lovingly. Tears came to my eyes.

"I miss you too," I said. "How are you feeling?"

Mom laughed. "Pregnant."

"Those twinnies are going to have the best mom ever," I said. Silence stretched out. Then I heard Mom sniffle.

"Aww, sweetie...thank you."

We talked for just a few minutes longer. In a lot of ways talking to her had made me feel better.

And it had made me better informed.

I hung up, tossed my phone and beat my pillow until my fists were sore.

I was involved with two guys that had both lied to me. Trevor told me that he had done it to protect me. I couldn't wait to hear Nate's reasoning.

I had so many questions for him. Why did he break up with this ex-girlfriend? What did he know about the baby? Did he take a paternity test? What were the results? If the baby was his, why was he on the road?

It was all so frustrating. I had given him something of myself that no one else would ever get.

At the very least I deserved respect.

I touched the back of my hand to my face. I was warm. I was angry. I couldn't wait until the bus stopped for gas. I was going to pay a little visit to Nate's bus.

The Carter men weren't the only ones that had a 'temper' problem. Mine was bubbling just under the surface. Besides, I was feeling the beginnings of wicked cramps. I cracked my knuckles.

With PMS thrown into the mix, it wasn't going to take much for me to explode.

Things just might get messy.
Chapter 17 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Seventeen - Reno, Nevada

"Ugh, I should not be sitting in CVS at seven in the morning," I complained. Angel leaned forward and laughed.

"It's better than laying in labor and delivery for thirty six hours."

I made a face. "Well, when you put it that way..."

"Brooke Carter?"

I hopped up. The pharmacist was holding a stapled baggie with my birth control. I felt like I was dealing with contraband. I handed over my money, I got the bag, the pharmacist gave me a few instructions in a bored monotone and I was good to go.

"Hi-ho, hi-ho it's back to the bus we go!" Angel sang. She was way too chipper. As for me, I just wanted to get a few more hours of sleep before I confronted Nate.

I had a feeling I was going to need a lot of energy to get through that conversation.

-------------------------------------

"Hey beautiful."

I closed my eyes in disbelief. I had just stepped off the bus. I hadn't even been at the venue thirty seconds before both guys descended on me. Nate got to me first. Trevor gave him a dirty look and did an about face.

"Hey," I said. I turned around and crossed my arms. Nate's beautiful green eyes widened in surprise.

"Uh-oh. What's wrong?"

"We need to talk."

He followed me onto the stage. I sat down and swung my legs over the edge. He did the same.

"What's up?"

"I talked to my mom last night. Why didn't you tell me about your ex?"

Nate ran a hand through his hair. "There's nothing to tell."

"I think a baby's a pretty big thing."

He winced. "It's not mine."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm ninety five percent sure."

"What about the other five percent?"

He sighed and turned his body towards me. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I just don't want to think about it. I took this job to get away from all that crap."

"A baby's crap?" I said. He shook his head.

"No, but...it's just..."

The silence between us was horrible. He looked uncomfortable.

"I deserve honesty," I said. "I gave you my--"

"I know," he interrupted. He leaned back.

"I dated Kelly my last two years of high school. She was a year older than me. While I was finishing up senior year, she was going to the community college. She cheated on me. Her best friend told me because she felt bad that I was being duped. There was a whole fiasco, a messy breakup, and the next thing I knew I heard she was pregnant. She told me it wasn't mine and I believed her. I had been careful every time. The other guy dumped her a month before the baby was born and then all of a sudden she was sure it was mine."

"So did you take a paternity test?"

Nate shook his head.

"Why not?"

"I don't want to."

My eyes narrowed. "That's a pretty lousy excuse."

He looked at me. "She's in my past. I'm worried about my future."

He reached out and stroked my cheek. I scooted away.

"Don't be so sure I'm the future."

His eyes softened. "Brooke..."

"I don't like lies," I said.

"I didn't lie," Nate argued. "I just didn't tell you."

"Same difference, Nate," I said. I stood up. He scrambled to his feet.

"So what do you want me to do?" he asked. I bit my tongue. Guys were so dense sometimes.

"I think you owe it to that baby to get that paternity test," I said. "Once you do that, talk to me. Until then, you're just my tech guy."

"It's not that easy," he said. I swallowed hard. I knew it wasn't that easy, but I had to try to make it that easy.

"That's just the way it is."

"So you're just going to dump me and go with Trevor?"

I felt my face flame.

"Maybe I'm done with both of you!" I snapped.

I needed an Advil. I needed a heating pad.

I needed a punching bag.

-------------------------------

"Brooke, it's a pleasure to see you again!"

Rick Hogan kissed my cheek. He was the head of MTV. I was a little surprised to see him backstage before the show.

"What brings you here?" I asked.

He laughed. "I've come to beg you."

I smiled. "Beg me?"

"I want you to perform at the VMAs."

My eyes widened. "The VMAs?"

"It's in a week. You don't have a show that night. I checked. I would personally fly you in my private jet and get you back on the road in time for your concert. What do you say?"

"You're for real?" I asked.

"Absolutely. You're nominated in three categories, you know."

Of course I knew I was nominated. I had prepared a taped speech because I knew I couldn't make it to New York and back to Missouri on a commercial airline. But a private plane...

"I'd love to," I said.

Rick let out a bark of laughter. "Excellent. And of course, bring a date." His eyes twinkled. "I heard there were sparks flying on stage with Trevor Tylers. Did I heard correctly?"

It didn't take long for news to travel. I nodded.

"You'd be dynamite together on the carpet. Bring him along in case you need a trophy holder."

"I'll think about it," I said.

"Brooke, one minute!"

I squeezed Rick's arm. "I've got to go."

"That's fine. Knock 'em dead!"

I heard Grenadine thanking the crowd. I slipped under the stage. This was Reno. This was the city that never slept. I was too young to enjoy it, but I could add to the party by going out and rocking the stage.

Afterwards, I would think about who I was taking with me, though deep down I already knew who that would be. Contrary to what Rick said, I knew the guy that I picked wouldn't be my trophy holder.

Even if I did win one. Or two. Or three!
Chapter 18 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Eighteen - Phoenix, Arizona

"Please come with me? Think of the awesome after party."

"Is this about the two chimps following you around?"

"No! I just want you to do the honor of coming to the VMAs with me."

"Brooke."

I sighed. "C'mon Jas."

"You're tutor is pacing. I wouldn't piss her off. She looks like she means business."

My eyes narrowed. "I could fire you."

Jasper grinned and cranked up his amp. "You could, but who else would you invisibily rope during Stuck Like Glue?"

"Will you at least think about it? Dad would like that you were there. Y'know for security."

Jasper snorted. His Jersey accent was coming out full force. "It's because the entire band signed 'do not touch' clauses on you the first tour."

I smiled. "That was when I was a kid."

Jasper looked amused. "You're still a kid."

I stood up. "I'm sixteen...and a half. Just think about it, will ya?"

Jasper leaned forward. "I'll let you know."

I hopped off the equipment trunk. Jas hadn't been kidding. My tutor was wearing a rut in the ground.

"I said a five minute break," my tutor admonished.

"Sorry. I was having technical difficulty," I said with a smile. We climbed back up on my bus.

Jasper Yevetti was my lead guitarist and 100% no-nonsense Italian. He was twenty, looked good on camera, and would be a totally safe choice to take to the VMAs. The first day he met me, he told my dad he liked redheads. I shot back and said I liked blondes.

It was a perfect working relationship. If he went with me, I was guaranteed a drama-free night.

I could so use one of those.

-----------------------------------

After a full day of tutoring, I had just enough time to grab a quick salad before I landed in the hair and makeup chair. The stylist had just finished with me when I heard a tap at my dressing room door.

"Am I good?" I asked. My stylist nodded in the mirror's reflection.

I slid out of the chair and walked to the door. I peeked through the security hole.

Trevor.

I opened the door. He held up a bouquet of flowers.

"Desert lilies," he said. "I figured they were the perfect Arizona concert flower."

I couldn't help but smile. I was a sucker for flowers. I stepped back.

"Come in."

My stylist was quickly cleaning up her supplies. I walked over to the makeup counter, removed some fake flowers from a vase and put the fresh in.

"They're beautiful," I said. I turned around. Trevor had on his Grenadine outfit - baggy jeans, white dress shirt, black vest, and sneakers. I squinted. Something about him was different.

"They added little extensions to my hair, spiked it, and died it blonder," he explained. I smiled. I could hear dad's voice in my head. Trevor really was beginning to look like a clone.

It was kind of a creepy thought.

"It looks nice. Different."

He laughed. "I've got to fit the mold."

I sat down on the couch. He sat beside me. My stylist shot me a smile and left.

"What's up?" I asked. Trevor leaned forward and tilted his head in my direction.

"I heard you're going to the VMAs."

"Where'd you hear that from?"

"Well, I saw it on MTV.com. They listed everyone that was going to attend this morning."

Rick hadn't wasted any time. I had to wonder if he had my name on there all along.

"Oh. Yeah, I'm going Rick's flying me out and back."

"Who are you taking along?"

He looked so hopeful that I almost laughed. Jasper's comment about the chimps came to mind.

"I've asked Jasper my guitarist. If he says no, I'm taking Noah."

"You'd seriously take your brother instead of me?"

I sighed. "Trev..."

"And what's this about Jasper?"

Oh dear God.

"I just want to go with a friend. If Kay didn't have school, I would take her."

"Why? For the kiss cam?"

"What?"

"Your popularity would skyrocket with a little girl-on-girl kiss. I can see it now -- Brooke goes wild on MTV."

My eyes widened. I didn't know how the conversation turned so fast.

"You know, I'd appreciate it if you pulled your chauvinistic pig head out of your ass," I snapped.

Trevor looked like I had slapped him. "What are you talking about?"

"Just because I'm not taking you doesn't mean you have to be mean to me."

"I'm not being mean to you," Trevor said gently. He took my hand. "Can't I be jealous? It's bad enough to put up with camera boy. Now I have to worry about your guitar guy and best friends and...it's a lot to handle for a guy that just wants to kiss you."

I didn't know what to say. There was a lot to decipher in that one statement. Before I had a chance to sort it all out, Trevor cupped my face and kissed me.

It was just like the kiss he gave me on stage the first night. It was a confident, 'I want you' kiss. His fingers smoothed down my jaw. I took the hint and opened my mouth, allowing him in. My arms wrapped around his waist; my hands momentarily got tangled in his pants chain.

"You're so hot," he said huskily. I hadn't realized his lips had left mine. His hand snaked under the top of my shirt. He squeezed my breast. I wrapped my hand around his arm.

"We've got a show to do," I said.

Trevor dropped his hand. We sat close together, foreheads touching for several seconds.

"Take me to the VMAs," he said. "It can be our night. I want to make love to you. I want to show you I'm the right guy for you."

My heart sped up. I thought about how he had wanted to wait for a special night. I couldn't think of a more special night than attending my first awards show.

But then again, I had just slept with Nate and things were falling apart. What if I slept with Trevor and the same thing happened? Plus, what would happen if the guys found out I had slept with both of them? Or worse yet, what would the paparazzi do with the information if they found out?

"I'm going to have to think about it," I said honestly. Trevor stood up. He straddled my legs. He took my hand and pressed it against himself. Flames of deire shot through me.

"Don't think too long, okay?" he said earnestly. Before I could respond, he dropped my hand and walked out of the dressing room. The door closing sounded like a stampede to my ears. I stared up at the mottled ceiling.

"Fuck," I said aloud.

What the hell was I going to do?
Chapter 19 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Nineteen - Tulsa, Oklahoma

"Mom, is there any way I can get you to overnight that purple dress I bought last May? I want to wear it to the VMAs."

"The purple one? I don't see why not. It's still in the garment bag. Do you need it sent today?"

Mom sounded distracted.

"Is today not good?" I asked.

"Not really. Your dad's having a minor thing done at the hospital today."

I smiled. "Minor thing?"

Noah and I were well aware of what 'minor thing' mom was making dad get done.

"Minor but important," mom said.

I heard a click.

"Is that you BooBoo?"

I smiled. "Hey daddy."

"How are things going?"

I tapped my pencil against my blank sheet of graph paper. I loved math, but I was procrastinating. "Not bad. How's it going with you?"

There was a pause.

"If I don't see you again remember that I love you," he said woefully.

"NICK!"

"What?"

"Don't listen to your dad, honey. He's being a drama queen."

I laughed. "I love you, daddy."

"I love you, too. I'll be watching for you on the VMAs. Are you going with Jasper?"

I smiled. "I'm still waiting for him to let me know."

"Well, if he does go remind him that he owes me a golf game."

I laughed. "Okay, daddy."

There was a click. Mom let out a little sigh.

"He's going to be such a baby when he wakes up," mom said almost to herself. "Anyhow, can I get that dress sent out to you tomorrow? Where will you be?"

I checked the huge schedule I had tacked to the wall. "Kansas City."

"I'll have it sent to the venue," mom promised.

"Thank you. Can I talk to Pey? Is she home? I want to wish her Happy Birthday."

"She just got home. Hold on."

There was the sound of muffled voices.

"Hello?"

"Happy Birthday!" I screamed. Peyton laughed.

"Thanks."

"Where were you?"

"My friends and I went to the skating rink. I got that new zombie game."

"You did? I'm jealous."

"Well, if you're nice, I'll let you play it when you get home."

I smiled. "Sounds good. Did you get my present?"

"Yup. I've been dying for a pair. Thank you."

"No problem. It gave Aunt Angel an excuse to go with me to shop for shoes," I said.

"Yeah like she needs an excuse," Pey said. "Guess what?"

"What?"

"I'm babysitting Landon today."

I laughed. "You sound happy about that."

"Mom's paying me."

"Well good luck."

"Eh, I know how to handle him."

There was a click.

"Brooke, we're heading out. Be safe. We love you. See you soon," mom said.

"Love you too!" I called out.

Mom disconnected and a second later Pey hung up. I glanced back down at my math homework.

I sent a little prayer up that dad's surgery went okay. The world was about to see the last newborn Carters for awhile.

It was a weird thought.

------------------------------------------

"I'll go."

I looked up in confusion. My stylist sighed in frustration. The mascara wand left a thick black streak on my face.

"That's a good look on you."

I wrinkled my nose. "Shut up. What do you mean you'll go?"

"I'll take you to the VMAs."

I smiled. My stylist dabbed at my face with a wet makeup pad.

"You will?"

Jasper nodded. "Your little blonde boytoy was telling the dark haired doofus that you were taking him. I'd figured I'd rain on his parade."

"He was?" I said. I puckered my lips. "What a pompous ass."

Jasper grinned. "No comment. See ya on stage."

He left the room. I stared straight ahead and let my stylist finish up.

I had a couple things to do before show time.

------------------------------------------

"I need to talk to you."

Trevor and Kyle were milling around the food table. I grabbed his arm and tugged him aside.

"What's up?"

I poked him in the chest. "I heard you told Nate you were going with me to the VMAs."

His eyes widened. "Well I said it was a possibility."

"Well it's not a possibility. I'm going with someone else."

"Who?"

"Jasper."

Trevor scowled. "So now I have to compete with a third guy? C'mon Brooke..."

"You're not competing with him. He's a friend. The VMAs are too important to me to get distracted."

Trevor smiled. "I distract you?"

"That's not important."

He leaned towards me. "Is it a good distraction?"

I was momentarily distracted. He smelled good. I liked his outfit. My mouth opened. He leaned down for a kiss.

Common sense came back. I ducked out from under him.

"I'm not gonna answer that!" I called out.

I left Trevor to his own thoughts. I hopped down a short set of three steps. I rounded the corner and ducked behind a huge set of curtains.

"You hide well," I said. "But not well enough."

Nate sat back, his big hand curved around his camera lens. He smiled.

"Well if anyone had to find me, I'm glad it's you."

I crouched down. "What's up?"

He stretched out his legs. "I had a nice afternoon in town," he said lightly. "I got a DNA swab done."

"You did?"

He nodded. "I thought a lot about it after we talked. You're right; I need to know."

I smiled. "That was very noble of you."

His eyes crinkled up. The dimple appeared. "Well, I realized I don't like Brooke Carter mad at me."

I laughed. I pressed my palms into the ground to balance myself.

"Are you really taking Tylers to the VMAs?" he asked. He couldn't mask his annoyance. I sighed.

"I'm not taking him."

Nate's eyes lit up hopefully. I didn't want to lead him on.

"I'm taking Jasper."

"Jasper?" Nate asked. "Your guitarist?"

I smiled. "I need a plutonic evening."

"I'm still jealous."

"That's a common theme," I said. I stood up. Nate grabbed his bag and followed.

"Have a good show," he said.

"Thanks."

We stared into each other's eyes. I couldn't help but think of him intimately. I would never forget.

"Would you kick me in the balls if I kissed you right now?" he asked.

Every fiber of my body wanted to scream no and just let him do it. I took a deep breath.

"Probably," I said.

I turned and headed towards the stage. For once I was going to watch Grenadine's set. If I got asked about my opening act at the VMAs, I needed to know what they were all about.

I just wished that learning about a guy was as easy as observing a performance.

But that was a whole 'nother story.

----------------------------------------

Author's Note: I posted another LiveJournal exclusive. It's V-Day for Nick!
Chapter 20 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Twenty - Kansas City, Missouri

"Brooke, your dress just got here!" Aunt Angel announced as she walked into my dressing room. She was holding a large brown box.

"Thank goodness!" I said. My stylist had a huge chunk of my hair in the curling iron. I waited for her to release me and I hopped out of the chair.

"I've got to see it again," I said. I grabbed the box and put it down on the couch. Angel helped me rip open the packaging. Big bags of air cushioned it. I tossed those aside and held it up.

"That's gorgeous," Angel said. I yanked the whole thing out of the box and did a spin. With the whole 'Garrett' fiasco darkening my memory, I had forgotten how much I loved the dress.

"Do you think it's VMA worthy?" I asked. Angel laughed.

"Absolutely. Who's the lucky guy that's going to escort you in that sexy number?"

I blushed. "Jasper. Do you really think it's a sexy dress?"

"You tend to look sexy in anything," my stylist said. "Can you get your little tush over here so I can finish your hair?"

I grinned. Angel took the dress and put it back in the box.

"So what's the game plan?" she asked after it was safely repackaged.

"Well, I'm doing the concert here in Kansas City tonight," I said. "Tomorrow I'll drive to the airport with Jasper. We'll be taken to New York on Rick's private plane. I'll spend the day getting ready, we'll attend the show, and right after the jet will fly us to St. Louis where I'll meet up with you guys for the next concert."

"So all of that in less than twenty four hours?"

I laughed. "Pretty much."

Angel smiled. "Impressive."

"You're the busiest sixteen year old girl I know," my stylist said.

I glanced at myself in the mirror. I felt proud.

I was in charge of my own destiny.

-------------------------------------------

The next morning, I woke up early. I spent an hour in the hotel gym. I wanted to make sure I looked amazing in my dress. I was bent down tying my shoe when someone grabbed my waist. I jumped and spun around.

It was Trevor.

"Hey," he said with a smile. I wiped my face on my towel.

"Hey."

"Tonight's the VMAs, huh?" he said. He was trying to be nonchalant.

It wasn't working.

"Yeah, I'm going to be leaving in a couple hours," I said. He smiled.

"Listen, I'm really sorry for the way I acted the other day. It's just there's a lot going on lately. I'm trying to figure out where I stand in my family, in your life...I'm a little lost. I know I pulled the macho jackass thing on you. You didn't deserve it."

I couldn't help but smile. Unlike our last conversation, he was sincere.

This was the Trevor that I liked.

"I know things are crazy for you right now," I said gently. "Thank you for putting up with me. I know it can't be easy to see me with someone else."

"It's not," he said earnestly. "It brings out the worst in me."

"Well, it certaintly brings out the, er, dominate side of you," I said awkwardly. I remembered how he had taken my hand and pressed it to him. I played with the edge of the towel.

"I hope you win all three trophies tonight," he said. I felt a little pang. I knew how bad he wanted to go...

"I'm sorry about not taking you," I said. "I'm going to be nervous and I figured taking a friend would be easier."

Trevor nodded. "I understand. It took me awhile, but I understand."

His eyes roamed my face. I knew I was hot, sweaty, and looked pretty disgusting.

"I better go take a shower," I said. Trevor smiled.

"Can I get a hug before you go? I don't know if I'll see you before your plane takes off."

I smiled. "Sure."

I stepped towards him. His arms wrapped around me and pulled me close. My hands wrapped around his upper arms. He was wearing a tight white wifebeater and basketball shorts. He was solid. It felt nice in his arms. His hands pressed into my back before sliding to my sides. I straightened back up and looked at him.

"Knock em dead," he whispered. His face seemed to move in slow motion. Or maybe that was just the way my mind wanted to see it. Either way, it made his kiss seem that much more when his lips finally met mine.

I loved the kiss from the moment it started. It wasn't the 'you're mine, haha!' kiss that he had given me that first night onstage, nor was it full of hesitation like the night at the hotel.

It was a 'perfect' kiss. My hands wrapped around the back of his neck. His hair was long enough to brush with the tips of my fingernails. I leaned back knowing that his hands were there to hold me.

Time passed, but it seemed like no time at all. Kisses gave way to little nips and tugs. I slid my body against him; his hands slid under my exercise shorts.

I was sweaty; he was getting sweaty. Somehow he managed to get me onto the exercise bench. I don't even remember my feet moving across the room. He slid down over me. My leg looped around his own. My hand ran across the front of his shorts.

"Someone might walk in," he moaned.

It was sad that he was trying to be the voice of reason. Hadn't I just said I was in charge of my own destiny?

"I don't care," I said.

Trevor looked like he was going to pass out. Instead, he reached up above me. When he stood up I saw that he had wrangled the long weight bar from it's holder. He walked to the door and propped it under the knob.

"Problem solved," he said.

It was ridiculous, but that little moment of ingenuity actually made him sexier. When he walked back over and leaned down, I pulled his face to mine and kissed him passionately. My nails scratched up his t-shirt. I pulled away to toss it over his head. He had already managed to get my shorts off. He sat back and ran his fingers over my panties. He seemed engrossed in just staring at them.

"Don't be nervous," he said. I didn't know whether he was talking to himself or to me.

"I'm not," I said. His eyes traveled up to my face. He grinned. I tugged at the waistband of his shorts.

That was all he needed. Minutes later I was naked on the hard plane of the weight bench. His face was buried in my chest and I was exploring the strong muscles running through his shoulders.

"You're more beautiful than I remember," he whispered. His tongue ran over my nipple. I let my hands fall above my head and savored the familiar pleasure that came with the skin-to-skin contact. A little part of me wondered if I was developing into a sex fiend. Dad had been one. What if it had crossed over to the girls in the next generation? I bit my lip and Trevor's tongue licked down me.

Fuck it. I felt way too good to worry about it.

I felt his warm breath cascade down me.

"I don't know how much longer I can wait," he said.

"Then don't," I heard myself say.

He didn't. His lips came back to mine and he was in me and then he was finally in me.

"Does it feel good?" he asked.

Part of me realized that he probably thought I was a virgin. I suspected that he had been. I wasn't about to break his bubble in the middle of the experience. I clung to his shoulders, tried to look like a novice, and nodded. I bit my lip for emphasis. But, in truth, it did feel good.

It was just over too fast. I guess first time jitters did that to a guy. Trevor buried his face into the crook of my neck. His breath came hard and fast.

"I love you," he said into my clammy skin. His hand slid down my body like I was precious glass. "I knew you would choose me."

My heart stopped. He loved me? He thought I had made up my mind?

I stared at the ceiling. I had just done the nasty on a weight bench. What the hell was I thinking?

Oh crap.
Chapter 21 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Twenty One

"Okay, what's up? We're on a private jet heading to New York and you look like you swallowed a lemon. What gives?"

I let my head fall back into the cushiony leather seat. Jasper was sitting across from me, legs spread wide and in a statement of complete relaxation.

"I can't even begin to explain," I said. "It's a girl thing."

Jas gave me a crooked grin. "It has to do with the chimps, doesn't it?"

I scowled. "Stop calling them chimps!"

He snorted. "If the shoe fits..."

I sighed. My body still felt like it was under the possession of Trevor's caresses. I bit the corner of my nail.

"If they're stressing you out that bad, cut your losses and move on," Jasper suggested.

"I can't," I said.

"Why not?"

I stifled another sigh. "It's complicated."

Jasper leaned forward and pressed his hands together. "Honey, you're complicated."

I bit the inside of my cheek. "Have you ever cut your losses and moved on?" I asked. He looked amused.

"When I was your age? A couple times."

"What about now?"

He clapped his hands together before intertwining his fingers.

"I'm old enough to know that I need to be a little more choosy," he said lightly. "I'm also wise enough to know that right now I'm too immature for a serious relationship."

I smiled. "Is that supposed to be a hint?"

Jas laughed. "I'm saying nothing about your life, superstar. I have enough trouble keeping track of my own."

I smiled. "You're a goober."

"A goober? That's the best description you can come up with?"

I laughed and adopted his same casual sprawl minus the spread legs.

I had done enough of that for one day.

-----------------------------------------

"Oh my god, I love it."

"You look beautiful."

"That dress was made for you."

I ran my hands down the sides of my dress. I had completely forgotten how amazing it made me feel. I was completely polished from the top of my head to my feet.

"Good enough for the VMAs?" I asked. My stylist laughed.

"Good enough for the Grammys, doll."

I smiled and glanced at the clock. It was time to go.

"Thank you again," I said. I scooped up the dress in my hands and headed to the door.

Jasper was waiting outside. I had given him specific instructions to pick me up at 4:45. It was 5:15.

"I'm sorry," I said hurriedly. "My nailpolish wasn't drying and--"

I stopped midsentence. I almost didn't recognize the guy in front of me. Sure he had the same dark hair and dark eyes, but I was used to seeing Jasper in a Hendrix t-shirt and holey jeans. The guy leaning against the wall had on a suit that didn't have even one wrinkle. He grinned.

"I thought you died in there," he said. He nodded at me. "You do that dress justice."

I smiled. "Don't you mean the dress does me justice?"

Jas laughed. "No. I meant what I said."

I blushed. "Thanks. You look nice."

Jasper straightened his tie. "Mom always tells me I clean up nice."

He held out his hand. "Shall we?"

I put my hand in his. "Let's do this."

-----------------------------------------

"BROOKE, OVER HERE! BROOKE LOOK THIS WAY! BROOKE CAN WE HAVE A MINUTE?"

I was used to flashes. My mom was a photographer, for crying out loud. I was used to being on film every single night. Yet, nothing compared to the red carpet at the VMAs. Paparazzi were lined ten deep and the flashes all went off at the same time. Jasper reached out an arm and shielded my face. I had no idea where we were going, but he steered me forward until we had reached the media platform. He stepped aside while I talked to one of the VJs.

There were so many people. I couldn't help but become a little starstruck. Jasper made a perfect date. He led me around like a gentlemen and jumped into the conversations at the perfect time. We ended up spending a long time talking to fellow popstar Chara Catona and her date.

"You're so cute! How long have you two been dating?" she asked. She waved her glass in our direction. Jasper and I looked at each other.

"We're no dating," I explained.

"I'm her guitarist."

"We're just friends."

"Brooke's complicated."

I elbowed him in the stomach. Chara gave me a grin.

"Good luck with that," she said. She moved on. I looked up at Jasper.

"What was that all about?"

He grinned. "What? You just told me earlier that everything was complicated!"

"Not in public!"

Jasper wrapped an arm around my shoulders.

"Let's find our seats. Hopefully they put us by the speakers."

I shook my head. We walked inside and got okay'd by the security detail. One of the ushers showed us to our seats. I was five rows back on the aisle. The rest of my row was already pretty full. I carefully sat down and smoothed out my dress. I yanked up the top. Jasper slouched down and did his wide legged stance again. He caught me looking at him.

"What?"

"You're at an awards show, not sitting at home in front of the TV!"

"So?"

"Well, sit like a human being!"

"I am sitting like a human being. I'm sitting like a guy who wants some airflow."

I propped my elbow on my armrest and put my forehead in my hand. I was trying my hardest not to smile.

I had so made the right choice on my date.

-----------------------------------------

"And the award for Best New Artist goes to...BROOKE CARTER!"

I had lost the first two categories that I had been nominated for. Those had gone to well-established, ridiculously well-known acts.

I hadn't been prepared to actually hear my name. I sat there smiling stupidly. Jasper nudged me.

"That's you! Go up there!"

I glanced at him in confusion. "What?"

He laughed. "You won!"

They called my name again. I jumped up.

"I WON?!"

Everyone laughed. Jasper stood up and hugged me and I bounded up on the stage holding my dress as I ran. I took the award from the presented, got a congratulatory hug, and stared at the mic.

I hadn't prepared a speech.

"Wow, this is...wow," I said. "I want to thank my fans who've come out in mobs every night on tour. Thank you to my producers, the record label...everyone involved in my projects. And, most importantly, I want to thank my family. I was born loving music and my mom and dad gave me the drive to make my dreams reality. I love you with all my heart!"

I blew a kiss towards the camera and then turned and walked offstage to the sound of loud applause.

My first award!

Backstage, I was photographed with my moonman and interviewed. I don't even remember what I said. I just knew that I was smiling so bad my face hurt.

By the time I got back to my seat, it was the last number.

"Great speech," Jasper whispered. I smiled. "Thanks. I winged it."

His eyes crinkled. "I know."

I passed him the award to admire. I checked my cell phone. As I had suspected, I had a text message from mom.

It simply said - "WE'RE SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!"

But that was enough. Those five little words meant the world to me.

I knew that in less than two hours, I'd be back on the plane to Missouri. The dress would be packed away and Jasper and I would be back to sweats and t-shirts. But until then, I just wanted to bask in the glow of being a winner.

It felt good to be on top.

--------------------------------------

Author's Note: I will be finishing up the story 'Murder at Backstreet Mansion' today. It's a short story and PERFECT to get you in that Halloween spirit. So if you haven't already checked it out...do it!
Chapter 22 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Twenty Two - St. Louis, Missouri

"CONGRATULATIONS!"

Aunt Angel was waiting up for me when I finally got to the hotel. It was almost 5'o clock in the morning. I was tired, but I still couldn't help but laugh at her exuberance.

"Thanks."

"Where is it? You gotta show me," she said.

I smiled. "I already had it sent home. I'm sorry."

Angel pouted. "I'll just have to see it when we go home for Halloween. Are you tired?"

I smiled. "A little. I didn't sleep that much on the plane."

Aunt Angel suddenly went into mom mode. Within an hour, I was crawling into bed.

"If you're not up by one, I'll have to wake you," she said. I stifled a yawn.

"I know. VIP..." I said drowsily.

She said something else, but I didn't comprehend it.

I was already heading off into dreams filled with visions of floating trophies.

-------------------------------

I woke up to the sounds of a noise-filled hallway. I glanced bleary-eyed at the clock.

It was eleven. Who could be making so much noise at eleven in the morning?

The sound of a male yell propelled me out of bed. I grabbed my robe, wrapped it around my waist and walked out into the hall. I let out a gasp.

Nate and Trevor were rolling around the floor. A potted plant was tipped over. There was a big dent in the wall. My security guards were trying to get the two untangled. There were two very squashed bouquets of flowers strewn all down the hallway.

"Hee-hee-hoo-hoo."

I jumped. I hadn't realized Jasper had snuck up on me. He had one arm raised and his hand crooked under his armpit. He looked like he was enjoying the whole fiasco.

"Chimps want blonde banana," he grunted. I smacked his side.

"This isn't funny!" I said.

"I beg to differ."

With a swift yank, the guards got Nate and Trevor separated. Trevor's lip was cut. Nate's eye was swelling rapidly. Both of their shirts were torn. Trevor tried to aim a huge wad of spit at Nate, but Nate turned just in time. Unfortunately, the wad hit my guard.

"You little shit-ass punk," he growled.

Jasper wrapped his hand around my arm.

"You might be better off in your room Fay Wray."

Jasper led me back into my room.

"Who's Fay Wray?"

That made him actually laugh.

"She's the chick who King Kong took up the tower."

"Another chimp reference?"

Jasper shrugged. "They're both primates."

I groaned and sank down in my chair. "What the hell is going on?"

Jasper leaned against the wall. "Well, I got out there a little before you did. I'm no Encyclopedia Brown, but I'd say that they were both bringing you flowers to congratulate you on getting an award and to fawn over your hotness. When they saw each other, well..."

He made a few jabs in the air.

I sighed. "Yeah, I understand that much."

I stood up. "I'm going to go talk to them."

"Hopefully not together," Jasper said. I shot him a look. He made a zipping motion with his mouth and I headed back into the hall.

-----------------------------------

Trevor was first. The door to his room was open. He was resting with an ice pack. One of the Grenadine mom's must have taken pity on him. When she saw me, she made a swift exit.

"Hey," I said. He glanced at me.

"Hey."

I pulled out his desk chair, turned it around and straddled it.

"What happened this morning?"

Trevor's face contorted with anger.

"That asshole was bringing you flowers."

"So?"

Trevor looked confused.

"So? You're my girlfriend. He shouldn't be bringing--"

"Trev," I said quietly. "I'm not your girlfriend."

His forehead creased. He winced as he lowered his icepack from his lip.

"Of course you are. What about the gym?"

"I slept with you," I said. "But that doesn't make me your girlfriend."

I realized how horribly slutty that sounded. I shifted uncomfortably.

"I don't understand," he said slowly. "How could your first time not be special?"

My fingers played with the ties on my robe.

"Trev, that wasn't my first time," I whispered.

He looked like someone had hit him. Again. The icepack fell from his hands and he didn't bother to pick it up.

"What? But..."

I licked my lips. "Nate was my first time."

The change that came over Trevor scared me to death. He leaned forward and his eyes bore into mine.

"What do you mean Nate was your first?"

"I slept with him," I said softly.

Trevor laughed. It wasn't pleasant.

"So you're just whoring yourself out between the both of us?"

Tears sprang to my eyes. "Trev, it's complicated. I--"

He stood up and cleared the distance between us in seconds. His hands wrapped around the chair I was sitting in. He leaned close to me.

"I thought I knew you. How could you have just...just...used me?"

"I didn't use you," I said. "You wanted to do it."

"DON'T TALK!" he shouted. I leaned back. He raised his left hand and spread his fingers wide. All I could imagine was that hard palm going across my face. It brought back memories of the little girl curled up on that mattress...

I closed my eyes.

But the slap didn't come. After a few seconds I opened my eyes. Trev had taken a couple steps back. He was looking at his hand in shock. I swallowed hard and stood up.

"Brooke, I--" he started to say. I backed up.

"Trevor," I said shakily. "I think we're done."

And I left.

---------------------------------------

I went back to my room and showered before I saw Nate. After the incredibly emotional confrontation with Trev, somehow the fog had lifted from my brain. I was totally calm as I knocked on Nate's door.

Nate's eye was completely black and blue.

"Hey Brooke," he said.

"Hey," I said. "I want to talk to you. Will you go downstairs with me and get something to drink?"

Nate didn't look totally surprised. He closed the hotel door behind him.

"Sure."

Ten minutes later, Nate and I were sitting across from each other in the hotel cafe. His hands were wrapped around a cup of coffee. I took a sip of my orange juice.

"I'm really sorry about this morning," he said in a rush.

"Me too," I said.

"Why are you sorry?" he asked.

I sighed. "Because this whole thing has gotten out of hand."

Nate nodded. "I agree."

"Really?"

I got a dimpled smile from him. I still loved that smile. "My uncle's about ready to kill me. I was coming to see you this morning to let you know I'm going home."

I didn't know what to say. I opened my mouth, but I couldn't think of anything except 'really?' and I knew he was serious.

"I think it's the best thing to do. I won't know the results of the DNA test for a few weeks. Plus, I'm ignoring my online classes. I'm flunking all but one."

"I'm sorry everything turned out like this Nate," I said softly. He reached over and took my hand.

"Me too. I just want you to know that I didn't use you for sex. I really do like you Brooke."

I took a deep breath. I had a feeling that if it hadn't come down to both of us being immature and all of the interruptions and drama, that we could have really had something. I squeezed his hand.

"Thank you. That really does mean the world to me."

He leaned over and kissed my cheek. We took our cups and stood up.

"When are you leaving?" I asked.

"After the show tonight," he said.

He wrapped an arm around my shoulders and gave me a squeeze.

In the course of a few short hours, I had broken up with not one, but two guys.

Most girls would have been devastated.

I knew I had done the right thing.

I needed to take a little vow of chastity for awhile.

I needed to get back to being Brooke.
Chapter 23 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Twenty Three - Indianapolis, Indiana

Even though it was hard, breaking up with Trevor and Nate had been the right thing to do. I had gone with Nate to the airport. I had a feeling that even after everything, we could still probably remain friends.

Trevor was another story. I still had to see him every night. The crowd still wanted to hear us sing our duet.

And he was bitter.

I had four more stops until I got to fly home for Halloween. I was in the middle of my tutoring session when my phone vibrated. I slid my phone closer.

"No phones," my tutor said.

I nodded, but when she wasn't looking, I put my phone on my lap. As I pretended to be writing the most amazing report on literary vampire, I tapped into my text messages.

The message was from Kayleigh.

"Ned 2 tak 2 u now. ur gonna be an ant. ur dads gunna kil Noah."

I stopped writing. Tutor be damned, I held the phone up to my face. I was sure I had read the message wrong. Kayleigh had the worst text speak I had ever had to decipher.

"Brooklyn, I said no--"

"This is an emergency," I said. I stood up and headed to my bedroom. At least there was one good thing of having school on my bus. I could lock myself in my room. The second the door closed behind me, I called Kayleigh. She answered right away.

"You got my message," she said.

"I did. I just didn't understand it. Why's my dad going to kill Noah?"

Kay made a weird noise. "You're going to be an aunt."

"But that would mean you're..."

"I know."

I gasped. "Kay...no."

"If it makes you feel better, you're in the clear until you're at least twenty-one."

"What the hell are you talking about?" I said. It was sad, but I was hoping Kay was drunk and just imagining things.

"Marcie told me that one third of all girls get pregnant before the age of twenty. There's six of us in the Backstreet loop. Shelby and I pulled the short straws."

"Kay, what the hell? There's no straws! Oh my gawd, does Noah know?"

"Of course he knows!"

I slapped my head. My brother. My brother. What in the world was he thinking? Ugh, Carter men didn't think.

"Are you going to be okay?" I asked.

"As long as your dad doesn't kill Noah, I'll be fine."

"Mom and dad don't know?"

Kay sighed. "Things have been nuts. You're lucky you're out there on the road."

"What's going on?"

"Did I tell you Claudia was pregnant?"

"No!"

"Well, she was."

"Was?"

"She lost the baby. The thing is, Baylee doesn't think it was his."

"You're kidding."

"I'm not. I walked in on Baylee banging Marcie on her desk."

"What?!"

I had thought my life was hectic. Kay was putting me to shame.

"Yeah. Anyhow, if the baby turns out to be someone else's, Baylee's getting his marriage annulled. He's finally wised up and I can tell he's head over heels for Marcie."

"That's crazy."

"Exactly. With that craziness going on, I was just the icing on the cake."

I bit my lip. "So...how do you feel?"

"I feel fine. I don't feel different. I go to the doctor's tomorrow. I'm going to confirm this thing before mom and dad call your mom and dad."

"Are you coming for Halloween?" I asked. It was just ten days away.

"Of course," Kay said.

"You sound way too calm," I said. I had known Kay my entire life. She was always running on the wild, frantic side. I wondered if she was just in shock.

I knew I was.

"What good is freaking out going to do?" she said.

I didn't have a good answer. Behind me, my tutor banged on the door.

"Good point," I said. "Listen, I have to get back to my tutoring, but--"

"I'll see you soon," Kay said.

We hung up and I stared straight ahead. I managed to ignore the threats coming from my tutor.

I seriously couldn't pick my brother becoming a dad. He was only fifteen.

My vow of chastity was looking better and better.

------------------------------

"NoNo, you are in so much trouble."

I had finally managed to get through to Noah on the phone right before my concert. I ground the heel of my boot into the old backstage flooring.

"It was a mistake. We were careful. Actually, I think I might sue the condom companies. They need a chlorine warning."

"Chlorine?" I said. I shook my head. "Wait. I don't want to know. What the hell are you going to do?"

"I'm going to do what Mason did for Shelby. I'm going to suck it up and be there. I did the crime, I'll pay the time."

"That's easy to say now, but your friggin' Georgia peach lives in Atlanta!"

"Actually, dad told me the other night that Brian was thinking about finally moving to Florida. He's getting tired of commuting."

"Okay, well even if that does happen what--"

"Brooke, seriously. I don't have answers to any questions." He lowered his voice. "Kay doesn't even know for sure yet. Just...chill."

"She's my best friend. You're my brother. I can't chill."

Noah sighed. "Well, you're going to have to. I'll let you know when I know more. Have a good show."

I had the rumblings of a headache. "Thanks."

"Talk to you soon."

"Okay. I love ya."

"Love ya too."

We hung up and I headed back to my dressing room to put my phone up. Just as I was about ready to walk out, Jasper walked in.

"Did you see it?" he asked. I looked at him in confusion.

"See what?"

He ran a hand through his hair. "Oh, boy."

Just then, my phone rang. It was dad.

"Hold on, I've got to take this. It's my dad," I explained. Jasper opened his mouth to say something, but I turned and answered my phone.

"Hello?"

"Brooke, do you know anything about that tape?"

"What tape?"

"Brooke?"

"Mom?"

I started to panic. Mom and dad on the same phone call was not good.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"We don't want you to freak out," mom said.

"I'm coming to your next stop and I'm killing that fuckin' punkass--"

"NICK!"

"What?"

"That's not helping."

I glanced at the clock. I had to be in position on stage in three minutes.

"My show starts soon," I said uncertainly. "What's going on?"

Mom made a little comforting noise that didn't make me feel comforted. "Honey, don't panic. Your dad and I are working with grandpa to get it off the Internet."

"Grandpa? Grandpa Mike?"

"Trevor posted a...a...tape of you two together," dad said. "In the gym. He sounded mortified. I racked my brain. A tape of us together in the gym? But that meant---

"WHAT?!"

"Calm down. It's not your fault," mom said. "We're working on getting it removed. Unfortunately, the press has caught wind of it, but just don't worry."

"That asshole's going to be locked up until he's fuckin' eighty," dad said. "It's child pornography."

I felt like I was on fire from the inside out. Older, slutty celebrities had sex tapes. Brooke Carter was not supposed to have a sex tape.

Anyhow, how did he tape it? He didn't have a camera? Oh my god.

"We just want to make sure you're okay," mom said. "Brooke? Brooke?"

"BooBoo," dad said. "Are you okay?"

I looked at Jasper. He backed up towards the door. The look on his face told me that he had been coming to warn me about the whole thing. He disappeared back into the hall.

"How can I go onstage?" I squeaked.

"If you need to cancel it, cancel it," dad said. "I'm meeting you guys in Louisville."

"I don't know..." I said. "Can I call you back?" I asked.

"Of course," mom said.

"I'll be on the plane, but talk to mom," dad assured me. "Or call my cellphone. But whatever you do BooBoo, don't try to look it up."

My dad knew me too well. "Okay," I said.

I hung up. Angel burst through the door looking frantic.

"Brooke, I--"

I began to walk the perimeter of the room. I was feeling numb. I had never cancelled a show before. I knew the clock was counting down.

I could run, or I could go out there, ignore the thought of the audience possibly having seen me naked, and just sing my heart out. I looked up at Angel.

"I've got to go on."

"But--"

I walked towards the door. She stepped aside.

"You don't have--"

"I want to."

-------------------------------------------

Author's Note: Check for an LJ exclusive in the next hour!
Chapter 24 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Twenty Four - Louisville, Kentucky

"I'm so sorry, dad. I never thought this would happen."

"What's done, is done BooBoo. I just want to figure out who leaked it."

Performing the night before had been hard. A group of guys had yelled sexual things between numbers that totally shook me up. The backlash was already building.

According to the media, I was no longer a good role model. I guess good role models don't have sex on a weight bench.

Go figure.

Dad and I were sitting in my hotel room with breakfast spread out on my table. I had already hard Angel and dad arguing in her room.

"This isn't Aunt Angel's fault," I said as I speared a piece of cantaloupe on my fork. Dad's jaw tensed.

"This wouldn't have happened on my watch," he pointed out.

"Your aunt," dad said icily. "is too busy trying to rehabilitate your grandmother to keep a watch over you."

I looked at him in surprise. "You know she's out of jail?"

Dad looked at me. "I know every move she makes BooBoo."

I studied my scrambled eggs. Dad was good. Really good.

"After we go home for Halloween, your grandma and grandpa are going to come out on the road with you."

The fork fell out of my hands. I looked up at dad in horror.

"Dad, you can't be serious. I--"

"Some old school supervision will do you good," dad said.

I didn't argue. We continue to dig through our food in relative silence. I studied dad's face. I wondered if he already knew about Kay and Noah...

I decided it was best to let that shoe drop from someone else's hand.

---------------------------------------

Dad received the call from mom right before the show. He had been pacing backstage while Grenadine went on. I was worried there was going to be a confrontation. Trevor had managed to avoid me like the plague the entire day.

I was still hopeful he wasn't responsible for the tape. If he was, I would never forgive him.

"She's what? Is he sure? Leigh talked to you. How far along?"

Dad's questions were like rapid fire. I watched him begin to pace my dressing room.

"Brooke's fine. Still no new information. Put Noah on the phone."

Dad rolled his eyes. "I can't kill him over the phone, Olivia."

I bit my lip. Dad never called mom Olivia. There was a pause in which only the sound of dad's angry breathing filled the room.

Then there was the explosion.

"NOAH GENE CARTER!"

I was sure the entire venue could hear him. I looked around, but there really wasn't a good place to hide. I felt sorry for my little brother.

After the name bomb, things calmed down. Dad sat in a chair and his voice got quieter and quieter. By the time he hung up, he just looked a little numb. He looked over at me.

"I already knew," I said.

"You two are going to kill me," dad said wearily.

"I'm sorry," I said. I felt like I was continuously stuck on repeat with my apologies.

"BROOKE, ONE MINUTE!"

I hadn't even heard the door open. I glanced at dad. We both stood up. Dad gave me a hug.

"I know you're sorry," dad said. He kissed the top of my head.

"Have a good show," he said. I nodded. I had a feeling dad was going to be having a long chat with Uncle Bri.

"Love you," I said.

"Love you too, BooBoo."

I opened the door and headed out.

-------------------------------------------

"The tape came from the hotel security camera."

Dad, Angel, and I were sitting up in the bus. It was ridiculously late. Dad had just gotten a frenzied phone call from Grandpa Mike.

"It looks like one of the staff thought it would be easy money to distribute it online. The hotel is working on matching up who was in charge of the camera room at that time with the date/time stamp on the video."

I felt relieved. I mean, it didn't erase the fact that thousands of people had seen me naked, but at least I knew the culprit hadn't been Trevor.

Or Nate. I felt horrible that I had even considered he would try to enact some sort of jealous revenge.

"In other good news, Grenadine's last stop with us was tonight," Angel said. "The whole tape thing didn't sit well with PR."

"It's bullshit it took this to get them off the tour," dad said.

I was surprised I didn't feel bad about not saying goodbye. Then again, I pretty much had already said my goodbyes to Trevor. The image of his raised hand was something I wouldn't forget anytime soon.

"I'm done with guys," I announced. "They're nothing but trouble."

I felt like that was a totally true statement. Even my brother was trouble. My best friend was pregnant because of him. I hated that guys thought with their dicks. I lowered my head onto the table.

Someone, I think my dad, started to stroke my head. I let my eyes close. Dad started telling Angel about Noah.

"What are they going to do?" she asked.

My brain felt heavy. I guess I was more tired than I had inititaly thought...

I didn't even stay away to hear dad's answer.

------------------------------------

"Wow. It's a chimp-free zone. Very nice."

I gave Jasper a look. "I'm done with chimps."

He grinned. "Good. The place was starting to smell like a zoo."

I rolled my eyes. I watched the crew assembling my stage.

"How you doing?"

I looked back at Jasper. He was watching me out of the corner of his eye. I felt the heat rush into my cheeks.

"Did you see it?" I asked.

Jasper could have played dumb and said 'see what?,' but he didn't.

"I chose not to watch it," he said. "It's child pornography."

"I'm sixteen."

"Until you're eighteen, you're a kid," he stated matter-of-factly.

"Do I look like a kid?"

I regretted the question the moment I said it. It sounded like I was slutting myself out again. Jasper put his guitar back on the stand and stood up. He walked over to me and put his hands on his hips.

"Truthfully?" he asked. I nodded feebly.

"You're a sixteen year old with a twenty-one year old's body. If you were older, I'd probably be peeling bananas and making a fool out of myself right along with all the other twerps. But, you're not. You're sixteen. Enjoy it. You're going to be an adult soon enough. Just be a kid."

He tapped his finger to my nose (my nose!) and walked off.

I stared off in the direction he headed. He had said a lot in that one soliloquy. First, he thought I had an amazing body. Second, he was kinda attracted to me.

But more importantly, he had just told me that he considered me off limits. And I believed him.

Plus, I was willing to accept just a friend at the moment.

Something told me that friends were going to be much more important to me now than a romance.
Chapter 25 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Twenty Five

"Of course we're pressing charges. I'm sick just thinking about it. Thanks."

Dad hung up. I looked up from my cards. Jasper and I were playing Go Fish on my laptray. We were on our way back to Tampa.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"They tracked down the guy who leaked the tape," dad said.

"Who?" Jasper asked.

"Grandpa Mike did a little digging around. Do you remember that security incident in Philly?" dad asked me.

I shook my head. I was surprised when Jasper nodded.

"You were walking back to me and there was a guy that didn't let go of your hand," he said.

That I remembered. I didn't remember any discernible features, but the guy had been in his twenties.

"He was working in the hotel in the security office," dad said.

"He must have thought Christmas came early," Jasper said dryly. I gave him a look. He glanced back down at his cards.

"Got any threes?"

"So he put it online?"

Dad nodded. "Your grandpa always told me that there's always that 'six degrees of separation' rule. It all adds up."

I frowned and glanced at my cards. I handed Jasper a three.

I didn't know the guy's name, but he was just another creep I could add to my list. I pursed my lips.

If I didn't like guys so much, I would so be a lesbian. I understood the female mind way better than a males. I glanced over at Jasper. I didn't think a guy who lived in black would get so excited about a stupid game of Go Fish.

"Got any eights?" I asked.

---------------------------------

"Hold still," Peyton said.

"My foot's falling asleep," mom complained.

I glanced in the mirror and straightened my red wig. In the reflection, I could see Peyton painting a giant goldfish on mom's stomach. Mom was going as a black cat with a goldfish tummy. I thought it was a super cute idea. And luckily, Peyton had an artistic streak to make it happen. I looked at Pey's costume in appreciation. She was dressed like a lava lamp. Little helium balloons danced all around her. Her face was painted a metallic silver.

Pey had developed dad's immense obsession with Halloween. The crazier the costume, the better.

As for me, I loved being a girly girl. This year I was Ariel from The Little Mermaid. I was going to enjoy being a redhead for the evening.

Judging from the noise drifting up the stairs, tons of people had already arrived.

"All done," Pey announced. Mom looked at herself in the mirror and smiled.

"Thanks sweetheart. You two ready?"

Pey and I nodded. We walked down the stairs together. Dad was standing at the door singing the Freddy Krueger song. Again. He stopped and hugged a very blonde angel.

Kayleigh.

"Popeye and Olive Oil!" mom said.

Aunt LeighLeigh and Uncle Bri were standing just inside the doorway. Uncle Bri had on a sailor suit and huge fake muscles. Aunt LeighLeigh looked downright dowdy in a long black skirt, red top, and black wig.

"THAT'S ADORABLE!" Aunt LeighLeigh said. She pointed at mom's goldfish tummy. I saw Kay sneak away. I followed her.

"Kay!"

She turned. For a second she looked confused. Then she smiled.

"I've missed you!" I said. I hugged her tightly.

"You look cute!" Kay responded. I laughed.

"I figured I better go the tame route this year," I said.

"STOP!"

I looked down at Landon. His firefighter helmet was falling down low over his eyes.

"Who are you?" he asked me. I smiled.

"I'm your sister, silly."

He stomped his foot. "No. Who are you?"

I told him I was Ariel. That set off a chain reaction. He blurted out a comment about shells and boobs that made me blush.

And of course, Jasper picked that moment to join the group.

"She's the human Ariel, little dude," he said with a laugh.

Luckily, Brenna showed up and Landon got distracted. I smiled at Jasper. Of all days not to wear black, he had chosen today. He looked like Aladdin.

"You're the wrong princess," he explained. I laughed.

"Well that was--" I started to say, but I heard Kay gasp. I looked over at her. Noah was standing right behind her, his shaggy zombie head lowered to her ear. Kay turned and hugged him like she hadn't seen him for years.

I suddenly felt like I was intruding. I took a couple steps back.

"Were we interrupting something?" Jasper asked. I smiled.

"My brother and Kay are kinda...together," I said awkwardly.

"I kinda got that," Jasper said. He looked around.

"Who's taking your brother trick-or-treating?" he asked.

"Noah's too old to trick-or-treat," I said in confusion. Jasper laughed. He reached for my wig. He lifted it up and pulled out a long strand of blonde. I didn't understand why.

"I meant your little brother," he explained.

I flushed. Blonde moment. I got it now.

"Oh! Er--"

I glanced around. Uncle Bri and dad were on the couch. They both had a beer and looked like they were having a serious discussion. Mom was already sitting down. Aunt LeighLeigh was sitting right by her. Aunt Angel was talking with Uncle AJ and Molly. Shelby was talking to Noah and Kay.

The only one on little kid patrol was Mason. He scooped up Brenna and covered her little white pancake face in kisses. Landon hovered uncertaintly nearby.

"I think I'll take him this year," I said. Jasper looked like he was going to slide his hands in his pockets...but he didn't have pockets.

"Want company?"

"I'd love some."

-----------------------------------

Now that most of us kids were too old to trick-or-treat, we only had a small group ready to load up on candy. Mason took Brenna. I took Landon.

Brayden and Tristan McLean insisted on taking themselves. I was reminded of how their older brother Jonah was when he was ten. It was scary.

"I'm keeping an eye on you," I said. They snickered. Jasper gave them the death stare.

"Snicker again and see what happens," Jasper said. Brayden and Tristan looked at each other and then at me.

"Sorry," Tristan mumbled.

"I like M&M's!" Landon announced as we left the house. I had a feeling dad and Uncle Bri were well on their way to being snockered. Dad had just smiled and waved when I told him I would take Landon trick-or-treating.

"Such a good girl," he told Uncle Bri with the shake of his head.

"Do you think they have dogbones for you Brenners?" Mason asked. Brenna looked up at him.

"I WANT CANDY!" she shouted.

"Dogs can't have candy," Mason replied with a smile. She looked horrified.

"BUT I'M A GIRL!"

Mason winked at me. "How's it going Brooke?"

I wondered if he knew about the tape. That was going to plague my thoughts for a long time.

"Okay. How about you? How's things with the wedding?"

His eyes sparkled in the moonlight. "It's going to be a perfect Christmas wedding," he said.

"I'M GONNA BE A BEAR!" Landon announced. I looked down at him.

"What?"

"BEANER'S GONNA BE A FLOWER AND I'M GONNA BE A BEAR!"

I had been on the road awhile, but I didn't think I was that out of the loop. Mason just looked amused.

"Brenna's going to be the flower girl. We asked Landon if he wanted to be our ring bearer."

"You trust him with your wedding rings?" I asked increduously. Mason leaned over and lowered his voice.

"He's just going to carry plastic rings," he explained. I must have looked relieved. Jasper laughed.

In the course of our conversation, Brenna and Landon had hit about six houses. I realized at our seventh stop that we had lost track of Brayden and Tristan.

"Where's the goons?" I asked. I ducked under a low hanging branch of a tree.

"BOO!"

My scream could have shattered windows. I spun around and hit a wall. At least I thought it was a wall. Unfortunately, it was Jasper. We both crashed to the ground.

"Don't worry! I'm a firefighter!" Landon squealed.

Jasper spit out a combination of my blonde hair and my red wig.

"You okay?" he said.

"Yeah. Are you?"

"I will be once you get up."

I didn't realize until I stood up that I had totally knee'd him in the crotch. He rolled over on all fours and spat on the ground.

While all this was taking place, Mason had tracked down the culprits for the scare. It was no big surprise to see Brayden and Tristan scrambling down from the tree.

"I'm taking you two back," Mason said. That statement was met with rapid complaints. Mason seemed to ignore it all. It seemed like the older he got, the more he was turning into Uncle Kev. He grabbed both of them by the neck.

"MARCH."

Brayden and Tristan reluctantly moved in the direction of my house. Jasper staggered to his feet. Landon had his fake hose pointed at the tree.

"Can you take Bren maybe one more block?" Mason asked.

"No problem," I said. I glanced at Jasper. He nodded.

"I'm good now."

I took Brenna's hand; Jasper took Landon's. We did another couple blocks before both kids began to whine. Jasper and I had to carry them the last half a block back to my house.

What we saw when we got back was cringe-inducing. Of course, I heard it before I even saw it.

Dad and Uncle Bri were sitting in the grass in the middle of the graveyard. Dad's Kruger claws were drapped over Uncle Bri's fake bicep. They were swaying together singing a combination of the Popeye song and the Freddy Kruger taunt.

"Just ignore them!" mom called out as I hesitated on the sidewalk. "They're staying outside the rest of the night!"

"This guy. This guy right here," dad said. His metal scissors clanked together. "I knew we'd be related one day."

Uncle Bri took a big sip out of a wine glass. He leaned towards dad to say something, but his hand slipped in the grass and he fell into one of the gravestones. Dad snorted.

Jasper chuckled. "I fuckin' love your dad," he said.

"I FUCKIN' LOVE HIM TOO!" Landon said happily. He hugged Jasper's neck tighter. Mom looked like she was going to say something, but she just sighed.

"Come on in," she said. The party was still well underway behind her.

I hitched Brenna up a little more, ignored the smacking of her candy bag against my hip, and walked inside.

This was the type of drama I was used to.

----------------------------------------------

Author's Note: I don't know why, but you guys loved me enough to nominate me for a bunch of Felix Awards, haha. Click here to make your vote count.
Chapter 26 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Twenty Six

"You cheated."

McLean, you claim I cheat every year. Give it a rest. I won fair and square."

"You're not setting a good example for the boys about good sportsmanship dear."

Uncle AJ scowled. I bit the inside of my cheek to keep from laughing. Molly, AJ, Kevin, and Addy were hovering by the front door. AJ was holding Brenna in his arms. Her ears kept flopping against his back.

"Thanks for coming guys," mom said. She walked over and hugged everyone.

"What time is it?" Kay mumbled. She leaned against me and yawned. I glanced at the clock.

It was almost four in the morning. Dad had passed out on the couch around two. Aunt LeighLeigh had taken Uncle Bri back to the hotel. Kay had gotten permission to stay the night.

"Good game," Ally said. I smiled at her. We had played a wicked game of Pictionary. The boys got creamed by us.

"I want a rematch," Noah said. Ally and I laughed.

"When I get off the road you and Stefie can come over and the five of us will go shopping," I said. I pointed to Kay and Peyton. Pey's helium balloons were dead. She was sprawled over dad's recliner tossing them in the air.

"Shopping sucks," she declared. Ally laughed.

"The four of us then."

Ally gave me, Kay, and Noah a hug. I watched through sleepy eyes as everyone filed out. Mom closed the door and leaned against it.

The place was trashed. Mom gave me a smile.

"Look around BooBoo. This is a perfect example of the difference between a house and a home."

I grinned. "It may be messy, but there's no place like home."

Mom laughed. "You got it."

A loud snore erupted from the couch. We all looked at dad. Brayden and Tristan had decorated dad's face with a sinister black mustache and goatee. I prayed it was washable marker. Trash was littered everywhere.

"Dad's getting maid service, right?" Noah asked. I'm sure he had a nightmare of having to actually clean up. Mom stood up from the door and walked over to dad. She shook out a blanket and covered him up.

"Absolutely. This mama isn't touching it."

She looked at all of us and let out a whistle. "To bed with all of you! We'll wake up and have a late lunch."

Peyton scrambled out of the chair. The four of us headed upstairs. Noah pulled Kay aside at the landing. I left them alone and headed into my room.

I was pulling on an old sweatshirt over my head when Kay walked in.

"You need some PJs?" I asked.

"Please. These wings are killing me."

I laughed. "Are you done being good already?"

Kay grinned. "You don't want to know what I did in this costume tonight."

I made a face. "If it has anything to do with NoNo..."

Her grin widened. I turned around and clamped my hands over my ears. I felt her pull at my hands.

"Don't relax in the hammock anytime soon," she teased.

"GROSS!"

"GIRLS!"

Mom tapped on the door. "You're going to wake Landon!"

I gave Kay a look. She laughed quietly and rooted around my closet for a nightgown. I hadn't noticed it when she was in her costume, but as she stripped down, I already saw a bump.

My bestie was going to have my niece or nephew.

"What are you guys going to do?" I asked. The whole thing scared me. I couldn't imagine how freaked out Noah was. If guy drama hadn't scared me straight, the whole 'teen mom' thing had.

"I dunno," Kay said lightly. "Maybe we'll go to New York in a year or two."

"What's in New York?" I asked.

"Noah didn't tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"Julliard's interested in him."

My eyes widened. "The Julliard?"

Kay laughed and flopped back on my bed. "Of course the Julliard!"

"That's amazing!"

Kay blew on her nails as if they were wet. "I know! My baby daddy's a talented guy."

I crawled into bed beside Kay and fell back against my pillows.

"Well what are you going to do if he goes to Julliard?"

Kay stopped blowing. "Take care of the baby."

"And?"

"That's enough!"

I didn't argue. I knew that I could never just be home. Even mom kept doing things at the library or working on photography so she didn't go insane.

"So what's going on with you and guitar boy?"

I rolled over and looked at Kay.

"Guitar boy?"

"Isn't his name Jasper?"

I snorted. "Nothing. We're just friends."

Kay smiled. "You were lookin' awfully chummy."

I rolled my eyes. "He's almost twenty-one. Plus, I don't need any more romance right now. Do you know how much trouble I've gotten into lately?"

"I still like Nate," Kay said. She wrappped her arms around one of my pillows.

I sighed. I thought of his damn dimpled smile. "Unfortunately, I do too. But, I think that ship has sailed."

"I hope Trevor's ship has sailed way out in the ocean."

I closed my eyes. I had wanted to help. Instead, I had just screwed things up more. "Trust me. It has. He has his own demons to work through."

We both grew quiet. I don't think it took us long to fall asleep. The last thing I thought I heard was the sound of dad trying to stumble up the stairs.

He was going to regret his binge in the morning.

--------------------------------

"Daddy, I wanna wear your glasses."

"Not right now buddy."

Landon scooted across the bench and leaned on dad.

"BUT THEY'RE COOL!"

Dad's hand shot to his forehead. Mom wrapped her hand around Landon's mouth.

"Inside voice sweetheart. Daddy's got little guys pounding on his brains."

Landon looked totally interested. "On your brains?"

I took a bite of my hamburger. We had all rolled out of bed around noon. Mom had piled us in the car and we headed straight to IHOP. We met Aunt LeighLeigh and Uncle Bri there. Dad was working his way slowly through some pecan pancakes. He was on his fifth cup of coffee. Brian didn't look as bad as dad, but every movement was slow and calculated.

"When's your next concert?" Pey asked me. She was yanking all the cream out of her stuffed french toast.

"I fly out in two days," I said glumly.

"I'm golfing with Jasper tomorrow," dad said. He looked in Noah's direction.

"You up for a game?"

Noah grinned. "Sure."

"We're flying home tonight," Kay said. She had woofed her food down and Noah was sliding her more strips of bacon. "Dad wants to make it home for church tomorrow."

"We all need to go to church," Aunt LeighLeigh said. I thought about Kay's warning about the hammock. I didn't think she was that far off.

"Landon, that goes in your mouth," mom said.

Everyone looked over at him. He was holding his straw and glass up to mom's stomach.

"These babies need ORANGE JUICE STAT!" he squealed. Dad's elbow slipped off the table. I swear his head almost hit his plate.

I picked up a fry. I nibbled the corner. Our waitress looked like she was going to stop and ask if everything was okay, but then she thought twice.

I honestly couldn't blame her.

We were a strange bunch.
Chapter 27 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Twenty Seven

"I didn't know this was going to be a party! I would have put on better slacks."

Dr. Tresher smiled at Noah and me.

"Good to see you two again. You sure are growing up."

I smiled. Noah shuffled nervously.

"They're growing up too fast," mom said. I know she was specifically addressing Noah. Dr. Tresher hummed. I had a feeling mom had already told her she was going to be a grandma.

"Are we ready for the big unveil?" Dr. Tresher asked. Dad smiled.

"Absolutely."

Peyton and Landon were at home with grandma and grandpa. Mom had pretty much insisted that Noah and I tagged along. Noah would be seeing his own child on the ultrasound soon. I'm sure mom and dad were just trying to give me a reality check.

As if I hadn't had enough of those lately.

I watched as mom lifted her shirt. I studied the dark purple line that stretched down from her bellybutton.

Dr. Tresher prepped everything quickly. I watched the wand press into mom's stomach. The screen came to life with perfect clarity.

It was amazing. There were four arms, four legs and tons of movement. I saw tiny mouths moving. Noah leaned forward.

"So here we have baby A," Dr. Tresher said. She tapped the screen. "She's being a great exhibitionist."

Dad grinned. "Another girl to spoil."

Dr. Tresher moved the wand and the screen shifted. There was a couple moments of intense concentration.

"C'mon..." she whispered under her breath. As if on cue, there was a tiny shift. Dr. Tresher smiled.

"Double trouble," she finally said. "You've got two active little girls here."

I smiled. Twin girls! I was excited. I didn't remember Pey as a baby; I had been too small. It would be fun to have little baby girls in the house.

One day, Carter girls were going to rule the world.

-----------------------------------

"I'm so worried about Kay and Noah," mom said later that day. Dad, Jasper, and Noah had gone golfing. Mom, Peyton, and I were in the kitchen making apple raisin bread. Landon was off getting spoiled by grandma and grandpa.

"I just can't picture Noah being a dad," I said. "It's scary."

"Noah? What about Kay?" Peyton said.

We all sighed. Peyton grabbed a handful of raisins and tossed them in her mouth.

"You know, I was in my twenties before I lost my virginity," mom said. "There's really nothing wrong with waiting."

I looked down at the batter. I felt a bubble of shame.

"That's what I'm going to do," Peyton said. "Besides, penises are ugly."

We both looked at Pey. She seemed oblivious to the effect of her comment. Finally, she noticed the look on our faces

"What?"

"Can I ask who's should your theirs?" mom asked. She put her hand on her hip. Pey looked at her in surprise.

"Landon runs around naked all the time. Noah doesn't close the bathroom door sometimes. JeanFranco lost his swimtrunks in PE last year," Pey shrugged. "I've seen three. That's enough. They're ugly. They're not worth the trouble."

I laughed. Mom's face relaxed into a smile.

"You girls never cease to amaze me," she said. She grabbed the bowl of batter and tipped it into the bread pans. Pey leaned her elbows on the bar and wiggled from side to side.

"Hey Brookey, what's going on with Jasper?"

I wiped off a huge spot of flour and hopped up on the countertop.

"Nothing, why?"

Mom made a noise. "You two looked pretty comfortable with each other at the Halloween party."

I blushed. "We were just hanging out. Kay was distracted. He's cool. That's all. I'm done with relationships. I'm joining the 'penises are ugly' club."

Pey laughed. Mom closed the oven door.

"Could you both stop saying penis?"

Pey and I looked at each other.

"PENIS!"

"PENIS!"

"PENIS!"

Mom smacked us both with her towel. We all laughed.

There was no place like home.

----------------------------------------------

"I demand a rematch!" dad said loudly. The sound of golf bags hitting the wall reverberated through the house.

"Anytime," Jasper said lightly.

"I think you just need to pick a different sport, dad," Noah said with a laugh.

"I just had a bad day!" dad said. "Hey...do I smell bread?"

I poked my head out of the kitchen and smiled. "Mom, Pey, and I made bread!"

All three guys made a beeline for the kitchen. They kind of reminded me of zombies. Dad had on his plaid shorts and pink polo. Noah had borrowed another plaid/polo set. Jasper hadn't bowed to tradition; he had on jean shorts and a black tank top.

"They took longer than I thought," mom said. Dad swooped in for a kiss.

"We would have been done two hours ago except dad got stuck in a sandtrap," Noah said with a grin. He tore off a hunk of warm bread from the loaf and stuffed it in his mouth.

"There was a slight lake issue too," Jasper said. He grabbed a knife and cut off a neat slice of bread. Meanwhile, dad took off his shoe. A hunk of pond scum plopped out on the kitchen floor. Mom sighed.

"Sure you don't want to pick up tennis?" mom asked. Dad ran a hand through his hair.

"Carter's aren't quitters," he declared. "Right, BooBoo?"

I laughed and handed him a piece of bread. "Right, dad."

It was a nice scene. Three girls feeding three hungry guys. I leaned back against the bar. I didn't want to leave. The road and the bus didn't hold a lot of appeal compared to a kitchen that smelled like warm cinnamon and apples.

Mom seemed to read my mind.

"You all packed sweetie?"

I tossed my head back. "Yeah, I'm all packed. I left a lot on the bus."

"Where are you headed?"

"The East Coast," Jasper said. Our eyes met. He picked at the crumbs on his napkin.

Mom smiled.

"You'll be happy to know that your grandparents have decided to rough it. They're going to follow you in a camper."

My eyes widened. "What? Why don't they just stay on my bus?"

Mom laughed. "Your grandma saw this camper for sale and fell in love with it. It has a little kitchenette with rooster wallpaper."

I slapped my forehead. I could just see the sleek black busses going down the road followed by a little gas chugging RV. Jasper looked like he was trying not to laugh.

"On the bright side, you're going to get a little more independence this way," mom said. Dad didn't look happy about that idea. "Your dad and I know you've learned from your past mistakes."

I nodded. I would never be able to look at a weight bench the same ever again. I'd never be able to go into a hotel's exercise room without feeling watched.

"Trust me, lesson learned."

"If you have any trouble..." dad said.

Jasper cleared his throat. "They're won't be any trouble, Mr. Carter."

They shared a look. Something told me they had talked about me during their day of male bonding.

I knew I should have felt annoyed, but I didn't.

Dad and Jasper had both had enough of chimps.

This leg of the tour was going to be banana-free. Figuratively and literally.
Chapter 28 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Twenty Eight

I was surrounded by cocks. No, not those kind. I was standing in grandma's RV and everywhere I looked in the small little cube, I saw a beady eyed rooster staring back.

"I'm going to spoil you with home cookin'," grandma said. "Cinnamon rolls, chicken and dumplings..."

"G-ma, my trainer's going to kill you," I said. Jasper was standing right behind me grinning ear to ear. I think he was totally amused by the whole rooster thing.

"What your trainer doesn't know won't kill you. You're too skinny."

I rolled my eyes. I felt a tug on the bottom of my hair. I looked up at Jasper, but he looked away.

"Your driver said it's time to get the show on the road," Grandpa Mike said. He climbed the steps, withdrew a gun from his hip holster, and shoved it under the driver's seat. He must have saw the look on my face because he pressed his hands into the soft padded cushion and smiled.

"You can take the letters FBI from a man, but you'll never take his gun," he said seriously. I suddenly felt like I was in an ancient Western movie. Grandpa looked at Jasper.

"Remember those words son."

Jasper held up his hands. "Totally got it, sir."

I gave grandma and grandpa a quick kiss before Jasper and I headed out of the RV. It was just as bad as I imagined it.

"It's never going to make it," I said. "It's going to break down before we reach South Carolina."

Jasper laughed. "We'll just hitch 'er right on up to that there black shiny thing and just drag 'er along."

He had totally gotten all corncob on me. He took one look at my wrinkled nose and burst into laughter.

"You're on your own BooBoo," he said. "See you at the first stop."

Before I could say anything, he squeezed my shoulder and jumped the steps onto the band bus. I heard a whole bunch of catterwaling from inside. I glanced back at the RV. Grandma pressed her face to the (rooster) kitchen window and waved vigorously.

"Brooke!"

Dad had driven me to the dropoff location. I turned. He ran up to me and hugged me tightly.

"I thought you left already!" I said.

"I needed one more hug."

I smiled and pressed my face against his chest.

"I love you, daddy," I whispered. His lips pressed against the top of my head.

"Love you too. Be safe."

We pulled away. He looked concerned; I smiled. "I will. I promise."

Before I started bawling like a little girl, I grabbed onto the bus door and hopped up. The hydraulic 'woosh' told me the door had closed behind me. I made my way to my bedroom.

Uncle Brian always teased dad about sleeping half the tour away. As I fell into the giant soft mattress in my rooster-free room, that didn't sound like a bad plan.

-------------------------------------

When I woke up, it was the middle of the night and I was totally confused. I had obviously missed the first stop. Now the bus had just bounced to a rough stop. I saw the flickering light that signaled we had stopped for a recharge.

I crawled out of bed and looked out the window. No one else had gotten our of their bus. I was dying for a Reese's Peanut Butter cup. I knew I probably should take time to comb my hair and wipe the smeared mascara off my face, but I didn't. I shoved my feet into a pair of flip-flops and walked through the bus. I hopped down and did a quick jog to the gas station.

Two minutes later, I had three packages of Reese's and was breaking apart the orange seal on the first one with my teeth, when I heard a laugh. I stopped short.

Jasper was leaning against my bus door.

"You slept through the first stop?" he guessed. I nodded. Feeling like a fool, I spit out the paper that had ripped right into my mouth and feebly held out the package. Jasper pulled it apart all the way. He took one cup for his trouble and handed the other back to me.

I knew there had been a reason I bought three packages.

"Yeah, wha time is it?" I asked around a mouthful of chocolatey goodness. Jasper sucked some melted chocolate off his finger.

"Two a.m. Your grandpa's RV needs to stop like every hour," Jasper said with a grin. "We've already had like twenty stops."

My eyes widened. "What? We can't do this between venues!"

Jasper's shoulders shook. "I've been hearing his conversation with the other drivers. He told them if the RV ever lags behind to just forge forth and they'll catch up."

"Dad's not going to like that. They're going to end up on my bus yet."

Jasper was seriously loving the whole thing. "I think they're already on your bus. Rumor has it your grandpa bugged your bus."

My eyes widened. "What? No way."

"I dunno. He's pretty hard core."

Just then, I heard what sounded like a horn playing 'Old MacDonald.' Jasper and I both turned towards the RV. Grandpa poked his arm out the window and waved.

"He's ready," Jasper interpreted. He took another package of Reese's from me. He gave me a wink.

"By the way...love the hair."

I let out a little squeal and touched my rat's nest as he walked away. With a little huff I hopped back on the bus.

How dare he take my Reese's!

-------------------------------------

"You're grandma's an angel," Ricky, my keyboardist said.

"She can adopt us all," Sullivan, my drummist, added.

"We're all gonna get fat," Jasper said.

Jasper was right. We were at the venue and the buffet table had been cleared of what grandma had called 'processed junk.' In big ceramic dishes that would take her hours to wash were fresh batches of scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, and, of course, cinnamon rolls. I reached under my long t-shirt and popped the top button of my jeans.

We were all in trouble. I finished off my third cinnamon roll.

"This is just a first day treat," I declared.

"First day?" grandma laughed. "You think I'm going to let you guys starve the rest of the time?"

A cheer went up from my whole band. I stared at the new platter of cinnamon rolls. I could feel the acne pushing at my chin.

"We all have to stay in shape!"

Grandma waved her hand. "How are you going to have enough energy to wiggle your tush if all you have in your stomach are egg whites and chunks of raw green pepper?"

Jasper laughed so hard he fell off the upside down milkcrate that he had been using as a stool. My face flamed.

"G-maaaa," I whined. She walked over and hugged me.

"What? You've always had a cute tush. Be proud of it."

She walked off, no doubt to get more food. I kicked the bottom of Jasper's foot.

"Shut up!"

Jasper sat up. "So about this 'tush'..."

I stood up and yanked down my shirt.

"What? Some guys like big tushes!" he said with a smirk. "Some girls pay for a tush like that."

"This conversation is over," I declared. "I don't want to hear you say the word 'tush' EVER again." I lifted my chin into the air and headed towards my dressing room.

"Tush!"

"ARGH!"

That was it. I was going to lock myself in my dressing room and pull out all the portable exercise equipment I never used. I was going to get sweaty, shower, and then come out looking like a million bucks.

Jasper would be wishing he could touch a tight tush like mine.

Wait. Why did my mind go there?

"ARGH!" I said again to the empty dressing room. I was back on tour less than a day and already my guy-dar had cranked up. I was going to fight back. I yanked a dumbbell out of my bag, staggered backwards, and then hoisted it up.

"Feel the burn," I whispered to myself. My arm and the bell went crashing back to the floor. I staggered forward and ended up doing an accidental somersault. I heard a knock on the door, but ignored it. I crawled to my gym bag and pulled out a jump rope.

It looked like I needed to start small.
Chapter 29 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Twenty Nine

"Excuse me, I just want to--"

"Nobody's allowed back here without a pass. How'd you get this far?"

There was no ignoring the huge commotion that was taking place. The show was going to start in thirty minutes and it appeared that a fan had managed to sneak her way around the mountains of security.

"Like I told the other officer, Brooke knows Nate Blosser and I--"

Okay, whoever it was had my attention. I made my way around the crew rushing around doing last minute things. My big hulk of a guard was standing like a stone gargoyle between the girl in front of him and the whole backstage area.

The girl that was stubbornly facing off against him was about my age, maybe a little older. She was almost as tall as me and had reddish blonde hair and a perfect turned up nose.

"Is there a problem?" I called out. My guard waved me back.

"No problem, she's--"

"Brooke! My name's Kelly and--"

She tried to rush forward but my guard's arms wrapped around her waist. The pieces fell into place quickly.

Nate Blosser. Kelly. His ex. His possible baby mama...

"WAIT!" I shouted. The guard paused.

"Let her back here," I said.

His arms dropped reluctantly. Kelly straightened her shirt and walked past him with a glare. She smiled when she saw me.

I wasn't sure I could do the same. Even so, I held out my hand.

"Brooke Carter," I said.

"Kelly Juster," she replied. "Nate's told me a lot about you."

I almost snorted. Did Nate tell about how he de-virginized me while neglecting to tell me about his ex and possible baby?

My guess was probably not.

"Oh?" I said.

Kelly nodded. "He told me you were the one that finally convinced him to take the paternity test."

"I did," I said slowly. "Did you...get the results?"

Her eyes sparkled. Before she spoke, I knew the answer.

"Frank's his son. I knew it all along."

Frank. Frank?

Kelly opened her purse and rooted around. She pulled out her wallet and unsnapped it.

"Here he is."

I took the wallet from her and studied the picture. Even I didn't need a paternity test to see it. The dark hair...the green eyes...

The dimple.

I felt like I had a rock in my stomach. Even though I had broken up with him, made him do the right thing, and decided to move on, it still hurt.

What everyone said was true: you just never got over your first time.

"He's adorable," I said softly. I handed the wallet back. Kelly put it back and smiled at me.

"So...what are you doing here?" I asked.

"I just came to thank you," Kelly said sincerely. "I made a stupid mistake when I cheated on Nate. I never stopped loving him. Now that he knows he's Frank's dad we're working things out and...and...I owe it all to you."

I swallowed around the other rock that had lodged in my throat.

"I didn't do anything," I said awkwardly. "I'm just...glad it all worked out."

Kelly rocked on her heels. "It did," she said softly. She bit her lip. "Nate told me that you and him..."

I blushed. "It's in the past," I said. I waved my hand for emphasis.

"I just don't want you to think he's a slimeball," Kelly said. "Everyone makes mistakes, y'know?"

I nodded. I knew all about mistakes.

"Anyhow...I saw you were performing tonight and me and my friends drove down to see the show."

Her arms wrapped around me and she hugged me.

"Thanks again!"

With that, she turned and walked back down the hall. I stood there staring blankly down the corridor.

Had that really just happened?

-------------------------------------

"You're bitchy tonight."

I scowled. "I am not bitchy."

"You're kinda bitchy."

I lowered the playing cards I had been holding up to my face. My bus was bumping along merrily to our next location.

I didn't feel merry.

"It's nothing," I said shortly.

"Do you need a cinnamon roll? I bet g-ma can make us some."

"We don't need cinnamon rolls!"

Jasper laughed. I scowled. We had gotten an early start after the concert and I hadn't been tired. Grandpa had talked me and Jasper into a game of euchre, but he had fallen asleep on the couch. It was down to just me and Jasper until the next stop.

Then I was kicking everyone off my bus and going to bed.

"Seriously, what's going on? Cramps? I can get you an aspirin or something. I was always the pill runner for my sis--"

"It's not cramps," I said. I put the cards down on the table. My concentration was shot.

"Nate's girlfriend came backstage before the show tonight," I said. Jasper leaned back.

"You mean Nate as in chimp #2?"

My eyes narrowed. "Yeah."

"What did she have to say? She didn't try to maul you did she?"

I rolled my eyes. "It's not a joke, Jas."

The smile slid off his face. "Okay. Go on."

I sighed. I don't know why, but I ended up telling Jasper everything. Even the part about losing my virginity to Nate. He leaned forward, listening attentively.

"She just wanted to thank me for talking Nate into the paternity test. The baby is so his," I said. "They're working things out."

I stopped talking. There was a moment of silence.

"It hurts, doesn't it?"

Jasper said it so gently that I couldn't hide the tears from my eyes. I lowered my chin to my chest, but they were still coming out whether or not I liked it. I heard a creak. Jasper came over and hugged me.

"It's okay, Brooke. It's okay to feel hurt. You know, the only bad quality you have is that you love too much."

I looked up at him in surprise.

"I do?"

Jasper smiled. "There's something about you that makes people love you. And you tend to love them right back."

He brushed a tear that had been clumsily dripping down my cheek. He wrinkled his nose teasingly.

"What a horrible quality."

I let out a choked laugh. "Shut up."

Jas smiled and sat back down. We both picked up our cards.

"Am I really bitchy?" I asked. Jasper's eyes twinkled and he shook his head.

"Naw, I've just learned that's an easy way to get girls to talk."

I scoffed. "No it's not."

He tapped my cards playfully.

"It worked, didn't it?"

I huffed behind the cards, but truthfully I was trying not to smile.

It had totally worked.
Chapter 30 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Thirty - New York

"This is absolutely amazing. I love it here!"

"My credit card is screaming already."

Grandma gave grandpa a look. He smiled and held out the rectangular symbol of purchasing power. Grandma took it and kissed his cheek.

"Thank you"

I laughed and took a bite of my scrambled egg whites. Grandma hadn't gotten to go grocery shopping for the past few stops and we were back to fast food and whatever catering whipped up.

"You want to come with me sweetheart?" grandma asked.

I gave her an apologetic smile. "I can't. I'm doing a radio interview today."

Grandma clicked her tongue. "You work too hard."

"It's all in a day's work," I said lightly.

After breakfast, grandma took off for downtown NYC while I went to the hotel to get ready for my radio interview. As my stylist was working on my hair, Jasper walked in.

"Where are you going so early?" he asked.

"I've got a radio interview."

"With who?"

"Daniels and Chuck."

Jasper made a face. "They're shock jocks. Why in the world are you going there?"

"Management scheduled it," I said.

"You're dad would bust a nut."

I laughed. "C'mon, what's the worst that can happen?"

---------------------------------

"What went through your head when you saw your sex tape?"

Okay, so Jasper was right. I had only been on air with Daniels and Chuck for two minutes before the questions turned far away from music.

"I never saw it," I said softly.

"Well, they pulled it, but we both had the pleasure of seeing it. We're guessing you're a C cup?"

I felt the heat rise in my face. "I don't think--"

"Would you ever consider implants?"

My eyes widened. "What? No!"

"I heard a couple of the nudie mags are going to hit you up when you turn eighteen. How do you feel about doing a spread?"

"I'd never do that," I said nervously. "I thought I could tell you guys a little bit about my tour and--"

"So you won't do a magazine spread even though so many of us have seen the goods?"

I felt dirty. These guys were in their late twenties or early thirties and even though I was dressed uber-professionally, I felt naked. I looked down at my hands.

"Why so shy? Trevor was on last week and from what he was saying and from what we've seen, you're certainly not the shy type," Daniels said.

I was totally blindsided. "Trevor?" I asked.

Chuck grinned. "Wait, I think we have a clip...hold on..."

A second later, Trevor's voice came flooding through my headset.

"Brooke puts on a good show, but she's not as nice and innocent as she wants people to believe. I mean, she had me thinking she was a virgin when she wasn't. I'm not saying I regret what we did. I mean, as you've seen she's got a dynamite body, but still..."

The soundclip went on for a few more minutes. Trevor talked about everything from the way I moaned to how I had fucked-and-dumped him.

I couldn't believe it. Tears sprang unwanted into my eyes.

"You look so upset Brooke. You know, it's your chance to set the record straight," Daniels said giddily. I could see they were eating up my reaction.

"I--I---"

A large hand pulled my headset off and threw it at the guys.

"Interview's over."

I looked up. I had never seen Jasper look so angry.

"Who are you?" Chuck asked. "Her body guard?"

"A boyfriend?" Daniels asked. "Hey, how old are you?"

Jasper's arm wrapped around my arm gently. I stood up.

"How the fuck can you sit there and ask her this shit? She's sixteen. You should be disgusted with yourselves."

He turned me and we walked towards the door.

"That guy so has to be hitting that," Chuck said. They both burst into loud, obnoxious laughter.

The door slammed behind us. I covered my mouth and sank down against the wall.

"It's okay. You don't want to do this here. They have their security cameras. Don't give them what they want."

I looked up. Jasper's dark eyes were staring at me with sympathy. I exhaled an uneven breath. He helped me back up to my feet.

We didn't say anything else until I was back in the car. My guard and driver took up the whole front seat. Jasper sat beside me.

"I can't believe that!" I finally blurted.

"They're gross," Jasper said. "I tried to warn you."

I groaned. He was right way more than he was wrong. I wasn't used to that.

"How could he say that about me?"

"Who?"

"Trevor!"

"Brooke, he's got a lot of issues. I gotta admit I've been keeping up with the celebrity rags and they're been picking apart things about his family and stuff. Add in teenage immaturity, and well..."

"That still doesn't make it right."

"Not at all," Jas agreed. "I think he's doing it because it's getting him press. I read a couple days ago that he's leaving Grenadine and going solo."

"So he's using me to get ahead," I said scornfully. "God, why am I so stupid?"

"You're not stupid."

I looked at him. "I dated three guys in the course of like five months and all three of them..."

"Do you think you're the only person who doesn't find Mr. or Mrs. Right the first time around? Trust me doll, I've made my share of stupid mistakes."

"Is that why you don't date?"

That made him laugh. "I'm not anti-date. I've just learned the hard way to actually get to know someone before making a big commitment."

He reached over and squeezed my hand.

"You're a tough cookie, Brooke. It was a bad interview and it probably won't be the last bad one you have."

"But my fans--"

"You're not perfect. You're human, not a machine. Personally, I tend to like humans. What about you?"

I smiled and turned towards the window.

"Shut up."

"Do you know how many times you've told me to shut up lately?"

I looked back at him.

"I'm sorry."

"Naw, it's okay. I'm used to it. When you have siblings you get used to it."

I laughed. "Tell me about it."

Jas stretched out his legs.

"Think we should tell g-pa about this interview?"

"Are you kidding? He'd go in with guns ablaze."

"Exactly. I think those two dickwads deserve a gun up the ass."

"Agreed, but I don't have time to bail him out of jail."

Jas nodded. "We'll leave that up to your mom."

My forehead creased. "Why?"

"Because when your dad hears what happened, he'll lay the smack down."

"He's not that bad."

There was a grin. "That's not what I heard. Your dad told me about his police record when we went golfing."

"He brags about stupid stuff."

"So he didn't go to jail for tracking down that scum that tried to rape you?"

"Well...yeah."

"Good. I would have been disappointed if that was a lie."

I puckered my lips. "Why?"

Jas didn't hesitate. "Because I would have done the same thing if someone did that to you or any other girl."

I looked at him in surprise.

"You'd go to jail for me?"

He laughed. "Let's hope nothing ever happens to test that."

I nodded. Of course. He had just been talking big. Typical guy.

"Seriously, I would. My dad's a lot like yours. I was raised the right way."

"I can tell."

We looked at each other. Something that I can't explain started to build, but Jas looked away before I could really figure it out.

I was just glad that he had my back.
Chapter 31 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Thirty One - New Jersey

"She's fine, I promise. Yeah, no, uh-huh."

I was watching Jasper talk to my dad with my arms folded across my chest. My schoolwork was in front of me, not even touched. I was just too distracted.

Dad was in uber-protective mode again. As Jasper had assumed, dad had totally busted a nut with that radio interview. Management had its tail between its legs trying to fumble through one excuse after another.

He was also antsy becauase grandma and Mike had decided to stay one extra day in NYC while we went on to Jersey. I didn't think it was the end of the world, but dad was obviously having an issue with no supervision.

Then again, my track record when I was unsupervised wasn't good. Neither was Noah's.

Sigh.

"They'll meet up with us in Rhode Island," Jasper explained. "We're staying in a hotel tonight in Jersey before leaving tomorrow morning. Mike promised that they'd be waiting for us at the venue."

He grew quiet.

"I won't. She's too important."

I arched an eyebrow. Wha-wha-what?

Jasper hung up and slid his phone in his pocket.

"Who's too important?" I blurted. Jasper smiled.

"Three guesses," he said.

"Me?"

He laughed. "Nice guess."

"But what won't you do?"

His eyes sparkled. "That's top secret information."

I huffed. "Tell me."

"You're a bossy little thing, aren't you?"

"C'mon!"

"You must be hell at Christmas time. You don't take secrets well."

I slammed back into the seat.

"For your information, I've only unwrapped and rewrapped my presents three times in my whole life," I said indignantly. Jasper snorted.

"Only three times? Well, in that case..."

"Are you going to tell me or not?"

I knew I was whining; I didn't care how pathetic I sounded.

"Your dad just told me not to let you out of my sight. I promised I wouldn't."

"Ohhh," I said. I should have figured that one out for myself.

"You sound disappointed," Jas said teasingly.

I glanced down. Trigonometry stared back at me.

"Of course not," I said slowly. "It's just, you're going to have to let me out of your sight."

Jasper frowned. "Why?"

I smiled. "Because I'm going to have to shower and go to the bathroom and--"

"Okay, I know this. Think figuratively Carter."

I wrinkled my nose. Jasper plopped back down and grabbed his guitar.

"What are you doing?"

He paused with his hands on the neck. "I'm going to tune my guitar. You're going to do your homework."

I glanced back down. He started to strum and I felt myself relax. I picked up my pencil. I didn't like to be told what to do, but in truth, I did have to do my homework. My tutor was going to kill me if I didn't catch up.

"Just keep playing," I instructed. I bit the tip of my tongue and hovered over my work.

Math and music totally mix.

---------------------------------------------

"Since g-ma isn't here and we've been eating crappy the last couple days, what do you say you and me go get a nice, homecooked meal?"

I laughed. "What are you talking about?"

Jas smiled. "Yes or no! Do you want a nice meal or not?"

My heart leapt foolishly. Was he going to take me somewhere? Was it going to be a...a...

Don't say it Brooke.

"It's got to be an early dinner," I said. "I have to be back here by six."

"How about three?" Jasper asked. I glanced at the clock. It was already two.

"How long will it take to get there?"

"About a half hour."

That only gave me a half hour to get ready. I pressed my hands against his chest and backed him out of my dressing room.

"Hey, what--"

"I've got to get ready! Wait out here."

And I slammed the door in his face.

I moved faster than I ever had before. I showered like lightning. I wore a cap over my hair so I didn't have to waste the time blow-drying it. I put on my makeup. I slipped into a low cut blouse and low slung jeans and gave myself a quick once over.

I looked good.

When I opened the door, Jasper was sitting against the wall. He looked up at me.

"I'm ready," I announced. He smiled.

"You seriously could have gone in what you were wearing before," he said.

My smile flickered.

"But you look nice!" he added. It was a good recovery.

"Thank you," I said with a laugh.

"You ready to go then?" he asked. I nodded. He took my hand; a taxi was waiting outside.

Jasper opened the door and I slid inside. He ducked in right after me.

"Where to?" the driver asked in a thick Jersey accent.

"7543 Washburn Street," Jasper said.

"So what's there to eat on Washburn Street?" I asked. Jasper smiled.

"You'll see."

I didn't like that 'you'll see.' I started to get a little suspicious. The suspicion only grew stronger once I realized that the taxi was going through residential neighborhoods.

"This isn't center city," I said. The taxi started to slow. Jasper reached across me and pointed.

"That's because it isn't. We're eating there."

'There' was a pretty two story house with light yellow siding and a nice, but tiny front yard. Jasper paid the driver and got out. I sat there and continued to look out the window like a dummy.

Jasper opened the door on my side.

"C'mon."

"Where are we?"

Jasper glanced back at the house and then back at me.

"This is my parent's house."

My eyes got so big that they actually hurt. "Your parents? I can't eat here!"

"Why not? We don't tend to poison food."

He offered his hand, but I still didn't take it.

"C'mon, they know we're coming. C'mon."

He wiggled his fingers. I couldn't believe it. If I had known I was going to meet his parents...

Well, I wouldn't have worn a shirt that put my boobs on display.

Stifling a whimper, I took his hand and climbed out of the cab. Jasper closed the door and we walked towards the house. I reached up and patted my hair.

"You're fine," Jasper said easily. He knocked on the front door once and then opened it.

"Anyone home?" he called out.

"YO JAS-WAD!"

We both looked towards the stairs. An older version of Jasper was grinning at us.

"So she does exi--"

"Tommy, this is Brooke. Brooke, this is my older, dumber, and much uglier brother Tommy," Jasper said quickly. Tommy slid down the railing, did a little jump at the end, and held out his hand.

I shook it feeling dumbfounded.

"Is that 'Per'-ry?" a high voice squeaked. An absolutely gorgeous girl with black hair darted out of the kitchen. She was all hips, all boobs, and all hair. She threw herself at Jasper.

My mouth went dry. Oh crap. Was it an ex-girlfriend? A future girlfriend? A--

"Brooke, this is my sister Courtney. Court, this is Brooke Carter."

The girl unhooked herself from Jasper. She looked like she was probably eighteen or nineteen.

"It's so good to meet you! Oh my gawd, I love your hair."

Dumbfounded gave way to a little bit of disorientation. "My hair?" I said. "T-thank you."

"Jasper, don't just stand in the doorway. Come in and introduce your guest."

Jasper grinned at the sound of a female voice of authority. He closed the door and pointed me in the direction of the kitchen.

"I'm grabbing a good seat," Tommy said. He went to the right. Courtney followed right behind us.

We walked into a huge kitchen. It smelled like an Italian restaurant. There was large baskets of breadsticks, huge bowls of salad, and a dessert that made my mouth water.

Homecookin' at it's finest.

In the center of it all was a short woman with gray hair and Jasper's brown eyes. When she smiled, a million laugh lines came out. I liked her immediately.

"Momma, this is Brooke. Brooke, this is my mom, Amelia."

I loved that Jasper called his mom, 'momma.' Of course, Amelia totally looked like a 'mama.' She came close to me and stopped. I was waiting to be reprimanded about my low-cut shirt, but instead she hugged me.

"I've heard good things about you!" she said. "I'm so glad you could join us. I know you're a busy girl."

I blushed. "Well, I--"

"Dude, Jas, I think I totally fucked up this guitar."

"ROCCO SCAVOLO YEVETTI!" Momma barked. "We have company and I don't need the filth flowing out of your trap!"

She tossed a towel at him. I turned just in time to see a younger version of Jasper catch it, grin, and stuff the towel in his back pocket.

"Can you take a look at this guitar?" he asked in a more dignified voice."

Jasper smiled at me.

"You okay here?"

"Here?" I asked. I looked around. What could I say? I nodded. Jasper followed Rocco out of the kitchen.

While he was gone, I got asked a million questions by Courtney. I found out that she was eighteen. I also met Jasper's older sister Zita who was about five months pregnant, her husband Tony, Jasper's dad Johnny, both sets of Jasper's grandparents, and his Uncle Paul.

By the time Jasper came back down, I was overwhelmed. Jasper's family was as big and as hectic as mine. They were also as friendly and crazy as mine. I was helping bring food out to the table when Jasper came up behind me.

"Having fun?"

I gave him a look.

"I wasn't expecting this," I said. Jasper grinned.

"I've survived the Carters; I figured it was time for you to survive the Yevetti's for one afternoon," he said. He pulled out a chair for me.

I couldn't argue with that logic. I mean, he had even been brave enough to go golfing with my dad.

The least I could do was devour the amazing piping hot lasagne that momma put down in the center of the table.

It was going to be hard, but someone had to do it.
Chapter 32 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Thirty Two

"This was the most amazing lasagna I've ever had," I declared. I was stuffed. I didn't know how I was going to be able to walk let alone perform in just a few hours.

Jasper's momma gave me a warm smile.

"Well, I hope you'll come back for another meal someday soon."

I glanced at Jasper. He buttered up yet another roll and stuffed it in his mouth.

"I'd like that," I said sincerely.

"Hey, ma," Rocco said. He made a furious head nodding motion towards the kitchen.

"Oh!" Amelia said. She hopped up. Without saying another word, she went into the kitchen.

I looked around. I had learned a lot about Jasper's whole family just from sharing one tiny meal. Zita was the oldest child at twenty five and the only one that was married. Tommy was next in line. He was twenty three. Then came Jasper. Courtney was turning nineteen in two weeks. Rocco was seventeen.

The kids were perfectly spaced out every two years. Jasper's mom was fifty nine. Johnny, Jasper's dad, was fifty one. All the boys looked like Johnny; all the girls looked like Amelia.

It was really kinda cute.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you--"

I swiveled towards the doorway leading to the kitchen. Amelia was holding tightly to a huge birthday cake. She headed right towards Jasper.

I paled. I felt like an idiot. It was his birthday. How had I forgotten that? I tried to remember everyone's birthday.

I was such a dip. I joined in the loud, off-key singing towards the very end, feeling totally ashamed. Jas gave me a wink. Amelia put the cake down and he leaned forward and blew out every candle. Tommy gave a loud finger whistle.

"Twenty one my broth-ah!" he shouted. Jas laughed.

"I forgot," I whispered in his ear as he set back down. He slumped down.

"I know."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. The look on your face was priceless."

I rolled my eyes.

"Here you go dear," Jasper's grandma Maria said. She had me a slice of cake wider than my thigh.

"I--"

"Too skinny," she declared.

I swear it must be a grandma thing.

"So, what time is the concert over?" Tommy asked. Jasper took a big bite of chocolate cake. He savored it for a minute before responding. The icing was the thickiest creamiest buttercream I had ever had in my life.

"Around eleven."

Tommy snapped his fingers. "You. Me. Twenty-one shot salute."

"Tommy, don't you dare get your brother in trouble."

Jasper and Tommy both grinned.

"Trouble? Why would I get him into trouble?"

"Because you two are the Tweedle Dee and Twiddle Dum of Jersey," Jasper's grandpa Maurice said loudly. Judging from the loud squeal, I had a feeling he was having hearing aid issues.

"Okay, we might have gotten into a little trouble back in the day," Tommy said. "But seriously, I just want to buy my brother a birthday shot."

"I have a curfew anyhow," Jasper said with a smile. "We're staying at a hotel tonight, but the busses are getting an early start.

Tommy and Jasper both smiled at their mom. I could tell their dad wasn't buying any of it. Amelia threw up her hands.

"I give up. But if I have to bail you out of jail..."

"You mean like dad?" Jasper asked.

"No one messes with familia," Johnny said seriously. He glanced at Court. I could totally imagine him needing to protect her. She was an absolute doll but almost too beautiful for her own good.

"Good dads think alike, huh?" Jasper whispered. I laughed. I took the last bite of cake I could down without exploding.

"Well," Jasper said a few minutes later. He tossed his napkin down. "Brooke and I have to get back. She's got to get ready for the show."

Rocco smirked. "What about you?"

"I'm always ready," Jasper shot back. Rocco snorted.

"Have a great show," Court said.

"You should come," I said. She gave Johnny a look.

"Dad says no concerts on a school night."

"You're in school?"

"Community college."

"Well, next time, okay?"

Courtney nodded. "Totally."

It took about fifteen minutes for the taxi to arrive, which turned out to be a good thing because it took just as long to say goodbye to everyone. They were a huggy bunch. I was squeezed mirthlessly and kissed a dozen times. By the time I got to the taxi, I was laughing.

"See? It wasn't that bad," Jasper said.

"I'm still sorry; I didn't even realize it was your birthday."

"Eh, birthday's are overrated."

"You're twenty-one!"

Jasper grinned. "All that means is I'm legal to drink. That takes the fun out of it."

I shook my head.

"Thanks for coming with me."

I smiled. "It was fun." He gave me a look. "Really!" I said.

For some reason, he looked relieved.

------------------------------------------

I made up for forgetting Jasper's birthday during the concert by making the whole audience sing to him. The band gave him some good-natured birthday spankings to go along with the song.

After the show, Tommy picked Jasper up. The hotel I had been waiting for all day never materialized. Something else was going on in town and every decent place was booked. The venue had been nice enough to seclude us for the night. I climbed aboard my bus.

The realization that I was alone made me uneasy. It wasn't often that I had no one else around. I sat down on the couch and looked out the window.

Here I was, a sixteen year old girl with tons of money and fame, and yet I was just sitting on the bus feeling sorry for myself. I brought my legs up to my chest and wrapped my arms around them.

I actually fell asleep like that. When I woke up an hour later, I felt like the Tin Man. My joints hurt. I let out a whine as I flexed my leg forward.

I was restless. I was in a state of absolute boredom. With nothing else to do, I actually caught up on my homework. When I dotted my last 'i' and crossed my last 't,' I still didn't feel ready for bed. Even so, I changed into my pajama pants and a tank top and curled up on the couch with a fuzzy blanket.

It was a chilly November night in Jersey.

After another hour I was still awake and getting antsy. The heat was on in the bus but it was a heavy, thick heat that made my throat feel scratchy. I needed fresh air.

I threw my blanket around my shoulders and hopped off the bus. It was a starless night. It was like an endless opaque ocean above my head. My warm breath met the cold air and made little wisps and puffs of fog.

I was rubbing the tip of my nose when a cab pulled up. The door opened, but nobody got out.

"You--you---this is you."

The speech was so totally slurred. Combined with the Jersey accent, it was almost unidentifiable. I crept towards the taxi. Two dark haired guys were sprawled in the back seat drunk off their asses.

Tommy and Jasper.

"Jas?"

When he turned and looked at me, I practically saw the alcohol floating in his eyeballs.

"BROOKE CARTER!"

His voice was so loud. He leaned out of the taxi and peered at me.

"I took twenty-one shoooootttssss," he slurred.

"No kidding," I said.

"Meter's running," cabbie said impatiently.

At first I was going to ask Tommy to help me with Jasper, but that wasn't even in the realm of possibility. Tommy patted the seat beside him as if he had lost something. He belched.

"C'mon," I said. I held out my hand. Jasper shot his arm out towards it but missed not once, not twice, but three times. Finally, he grabbed onto my fingers.

Now, I might be tall, but I was still pretty light. Getting Jasper out of the cab was no easy feat. My blanket fell to the ground as he tilted dangerously to the side. I steadied him and picked the blanket up. I glanced towards the band's bus. The loud beats told me that was going to be no place for Jasper to 'sleep it off.'

I told the cabbie Tommy's home address and it pulled away. I turned Jasper towards my bus.

"That was fuckin' aweeeesome," he said. His feet tripped over one another. He kinda reminded me of an ice-skating giraffe.

"Step," I instructed. I climbed up first. He got his left foot up, but came crashing down on his right knee.

"OOmph," he grunted. "Who put thissss step here?"

I tugged at his arm. I didn't know how to handle drunk people. Mom was so much better at it.

"Take your time," I said.

It was a slow process, but finally Jasper got onto the bus. He staggered to his feet and I brought him over to the couch. He crashed into it.

"Oh, it's soft," he said.

I stared down at him. He looked up at me and grinned. He patted the seat next to him.

"Sitttt down, Brookie."

I shook my head. "No, you need sleep," I said. I took the blanket and tossed it over his lap. That gesture was like magic. He slowly sprawled out on the couch.

I felt awkward staring at him like he was some unknown creature. I decided it was finally time for bed. I turned to go, but he clung to my fingers. He tugged. I knelt down.

"I gotta tell you something," he whispered. He looked around as if checking to see if anyone else was around. His eyes were glazed over. He smelled like he had downed every liquor in the bar.

"What?" I whispered.

His lips curved into a smile. He dropped my fingers and stroked my hair.

"I lied about the redhead thing. I've totally fallen for you, blondie."

My pulse spiked. I stared at him in disbelief.

"What?" I repeated.

His eyes were slowly closing.

"You're beautiful. I'm totally attracted to you. I want to kiss you. Protect you. I want to date you."

"Jasper you're drunk," I reasoned. He shook his head. He was still playing with my hair. His eyes were closing rapidly. His hand fell to the side of the couch and his mouth fell open.

He had passed out.

I exhaled. Was he serious? I didn't know. Now I was internally freaking out for a whole different reason than loneliness. I made sure he was covered up and headed to bed.

I didn't think I was going to be getting much sleep.
Chapter 33 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Thirty Three

I only slept a few hours. The sound of Jasper wretching was enough to get me back out of bed. Jasper had found his way to the bathroom and was heaving his guts out.

Something told me he wasn't a seasoned drinker. I walked into the kitchen and grabbed a cold rag. Trying to ignore the smell of alcohol puke, I pressed the cloth to the back of his neck. He groaned at first, but then he sighed.

"Thanks," he said into the toilet bowl.

"No problem."

He was quiet. I worried that he had fallen asleep.

"Was I dreaming or did I really tell you all that stuff earlier?"

I smiled. "You weren't dreaming."

"Damn Brooke, I'm sorry."

"Why?"

He turned his head and looked at me. His skin was clammy and he still looked kinda green.

"Because that's the type of thing you get from every guy."

I laughed. "So you don't want to be a chimp?"

He grunted.

I touched his cheek.

"Don't worry about it. Get some sleep. We'll talk in the morning."

I stood up. "Night, Jas."

He looked back at the toilet. He slowly stood up.

"Night Brooke."

-----------------------------------------

The next morning, I sat on the couch while Jas showered and cleaned up. My bus smelled a little gross so I opened the windows for a little while to clear everything up. I was checking my email on my phone when I heard the bathroom door open.

He smelled much better. I had scrounged up one of dad's shirts that he had obviously forgotten. It was strange to see Jasper in something other than black.

Blue was so his color.

"Feeling better?" I asked. He smiled as he sat down next to me.

"Much. I'm never doing a twenty-one shot salute again."

I laughed. "What about on my twenty-first birthday?" I teased. He shook his head.

"Trust me. One little margarita for you would be enough."

"Who says I'm a lightweight?"

We both smiled. He looked away first. I could tell that he was feeling a little embarassed...or awkard...or both.

"About last night," I said softly.

"Let's just forget it," he said quickly.

"Do you want to forget it or do you think I do?"

He leaned back. "Brooke, you're sixteen. I'm twenty-one. And--"

"I'm almost seventeen," I said.

"Still. In select states that could get my ass in big trouble."

"I'm pretty sure we're okay in Jersey and Rhode Island," I said. He laughed.

"True, but--"

"Jasper," I said. I turned towards him. "Just kiss me."

I think I caught him off guard. He studied my face as if trying to see if I was being serious. I was.

He swallowed hard. He raised his hand and slid along the side of my neck. I tilted my face up. My lips parted. It started off almost experimentally. He leaned forward and I could smell the cinnamon mouthwash that he must have used. His lips brushed against mine so lightly that I wasn't sure if his lips and mine were actually touching.

After a couple seconds, there was no doubt about the kiss. My eyes fluttered closed. I have to admit, it was the perfect kiss. It was moist, but not sloppily wet. It was slow and meaningful with a slight give and take as we both pulled away and came right back to one another. Jasper's hands snaked into my hair and massaged my scalp. My hands pressed against his chest.

When we finally pulled away, I struggled to open my eyes. We seemed to come back to earth at the same time.

"That was amazing," I said breathlessly. Jas was still playing with my hair.

"What did we just start?" he asked teasingly. I grinned.

"We'll just have to wait and see," I said lightly.

-------------------------------------------

"Ground rules," Jasper said.

"Ground rules?" I asked. I was sitting in my dressing room waiting for my stylist. I tugged at the little skirt that would probably give dad a heart attack if he ever saw it. Jasper closed the door behind him.

"I've been thinking about the kiss."

I smiled. "Me too."

Jas turned a chair around and straddled it.

"I've known you for a couple years. This is...this is going to change the dynamic of our relationship."

I nodded. "True."

I crossed my legs. His eyes flickered down for a moment before coming back to my face.

"I want to take it slow."

"Slow's good," I agreed.

"Kissing's okay," he reasoned.

"Kissing's amazing," I corrected.

We smiled.

"I just want you to know that if this works out between us that I'm not even going to think about taking it all the way until you're eighteen."

"You mean--"

"You know what I mean."

My heart skipped. I had a good feeling about this turn of events. Jasper was exactly what I had been looking for and he had been under my nose this entire time. I needed someone who thought with his mind, not his...

"I love that idea," I said earnestly. I held out my hand.

"It's a deal."

Jasper laughed and took my hand. He squeezed it; his dark eyes danced.

"Just do me a favor," he said lightly. I grinned.

"What?"

"Don't wear too many of those skirts. You've got the longest damn legs I've ever seen."

I looked down; he stood up and dropped my hand.

"See ya on stage, superstar."

I was tongue-tied. He kissed my cheek and walked out of the dressing room. Thirty seconds later, my stylist poked her head in.

"Ready Brooke?" she asked. I stood up. I was suddenly well aware of how much bare skin I was showing. Maybe I'd retire the short skirts for awhile. It was a simple enough request.

One that dad would probably love anyhow. The thought of dad made me wonder how he was going to feel if I started dating Jasper. Sigh.

"Ready," I said uncertainly. It wasn't that I wasn't ready for hair and makeup. It was more that I wasn't ready to tell my dad I was going to be dating an older guy.

I had a feeling that wasn't going to be a fun conversation.
Chapter 34 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Thirty Four

"So you're almost on the home stretch again. How's it feel?"

I paused in my battle with Noah over the thinnest slices of turkey. After all these years, dad still wasn't the best turkey carver.

"Amazing. I can't wait to be home for awhile," I said with a smile.

After the kiss, time had sped up. Jasper and I skirted around the band, grandma and grandpa, and everyone else. Before I knew it, I was home for Thanksgiving. Grandma and grandpa were coming over in a little bit for pumpkin pie. Landon was trying to eat fast so that he could play with the new puppy that had entered the house sometime while I was gone.

"I think your grandparents will be glad when the tour's over," mom said with a sparkle in her eye. She still had three months to go before the twins were born, but she already looked nine months pregnant.

"They wouldn't have such a bad time if they'd let me get them a proper bus," I pointed out. Dad laughed through a mouth of cranberry sauce.

"They're stubborn," mom said.

"Runs in the family," dad added. Mom gave him a look.

"Dude No, maybe someone else wants some mashed potatoes. Did you ever think of that?" Peyton complained. Noah dropped the big spoon.

"Sorry, your highness," he said. He passed the bowl with a dramatic bow. Pey rolled her eyes and dug in.

"I ated my geen beans and my towkey!" Landon announced. Mom glanced over at his plate.

"Eat your fruit," mom said. Landon let out a wail.

"BUT I WANNA PLAY WITH ZIPPO!"

At the sound of its name, the little black and white mutt lifted its head. I watched him take off, more than likely to find a good hiding spot away from Landon. Dad caught my eye and we smiled; I had a feeling he was thinking the same thing.

After dinner, pumpkin pie with g-ma and g-pa, watching Landon chase Zippo around the house, and talking to Kay, it was time for bed. Mom had tucked Landon in awhile ago. Noah headed up the stairs still talking on the phone. Pey had already snuck off to her room. As I crossed the hall towards my room, I saw a light shining underneath a blanket. Mom had probably picked up a new mystery that Pey was engrossed in. She had inherited mom's bookworm-iness.

When I got to my room, I quickly changed into PJ's. I checked my phone, replied to a text from Jasper, and did a couple half-hearted jumping jacks. I had pigged out, but then again it was Thanksgiving.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

I looked up. I had been studying the spot in the carpet that I had accidentally burned with my curling iron three years ago. Mom swung the door back and forth slightly.

"Hey mom," I said. "Come in." I sat down on the bed. Mom made her way to me. She sank down beside me and pressed her hands to her stomach.

"I thought two feet kicking was bad," she said. "Four's like a never ending soccer match."

I laughed. "I've missed you."

"I've missed you too, baby girl."

We both swung our legs at the same time.

"Sooooo," mom said lightly. I looked at her in confusion. That 'so' made me nervous.

"So?"

"Anything else you want to tell your old mom about the tour?" she asked.

My heart began to pound. Aw crap.

"You're not old," I said sweetly in an attempt to distract her. She just looked amused.

"Don't forget your grandfather's an ex-FBI agent," she said lightly.

I wrinkled my nose. Hadn't Jasper and I been sneaky enough?

"Are you inferring about a certain member of the opposite sex?" I asked cautiously.

Mom nudged me. "Brooklyn..."

"So what's going on with you and Jasper?"

Mom and I both looked up. Dad was hovering in the doorway. I blanched. Mom looked frustrated. Dad studied her face.

"What? You didn't get to that part yet?"

"We were having a mother-daughter moment here!" mom protested. Dad walked in and straddled my desk chair. He smiled charmingly.

"Now we're having mother-father-daughter time!" he said. He looked at me. "The gig's up. We know about Jasper."

"I was going to tell you," I complained. "What gave us away?"

"Your grandpa bugged your bus," mom said.

I smacked my forehead. Jas had warned me about that.

"And Jasper called and talked to me a couple weeks ago," dad added.

I looked up in surprise. "What?!"

Mom smiled. "He said his conscience was going to eat at him. He talked to me and your dad for an hour one night."

"He wanted to plead his case," dad said sourly. I chewed my lip.

"What's the verdict?" I asked hesitantly.

Mom and dad shared a silent exchange. Mom put her hand on my knee.

"Brooke, he's five years older than you."

"Technically four years and some odd months," I corrected.

"He's a musician," dad added. "Never trust a musician."

I laughed. "Does that include you?"

"No," dad said.

"Yes," mom said.

"Hey, now wait a minute--" dad said. Mom giggled. Yes, giggled.

"Anyhow," dad said with a mock-hurt expression on his face. "Your mother and I have talked a lot about this. We're already dealing with Noah and Kay and the baby. We just want to look out for you."

"It won't," I said. I looked at both of them with what I hoped was total seriousness. "If anything, this whole thing with Kay and Noah is a total wake-up call. Besides, Jasper and I've already talked about things and we've agreed things won't happen until I'm at least eighteen."

"Well, I'm glad that the two of you have talked about this," mom said softly. "But, sometimes it's easier said than done. In the heat of the moment--"

I did not want to think about my mother and the heat of the moment in the same context. My face must have given me away. Dad drummed his fingers on the chair.

"Why do you think we're having twins Brookey?" dad asked. He started to sing some old, old, old song called Heat of the Moment. I groaned.

"Don't say or sing anymore," I begged. Dad stopped.

"Okay, here's the thing. I like the fact Jasper called to talk to us. I'm not happy about the fact that he's older than you. But, the bottom line is that we're going to trust that you're a mature young lady who has learned from recent mistakes."

I took a moment to process dad's little speech.

"So you're saying you're cool with it?"

"Cool might be a stretch," mom said. "But, as long as you take it slow..."

"We will," I said hurriedly.

"In that case, I won't go Jasper-hunting," dad concluded.

"I like him. I just hope he doesn't turn out like the others," mom said.

"Did he tell you he took me home to meet his parents when we were in Jersey?" I asked. Mom smiled and nodded.

"He did. I thought that was sweet."

Dad didn't say anything. He was looking at me like I was five years old again.

"Why did you have to be so beautiful?" he asked gently. I blushed.

"Dad, I'm not--"

"He's not exaggeraing," mom said. She brushed her hand down my hair. "You really are beautiful. I just hate that people don't see past it. The inside is just as beautiful."

I was feeling all warm and fuzzy. I wrapped my arms around mom.

"I love you."

She kissed the top of my head. "I love you too."

I got up and gave dad a hug and kiss. He held onto me tightly.

"I hate that you're growing up," dad said mournfully.

"NoNo's growing up faster," I reminded him. Dad's eyes darkened.

"I know BooBoo."

"I know."
Chapter 35 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Thirty Five

"Montreal, it may be cold, but were about to make it hot in here!" I shouted. I fixed my head mic. The crowd screamed.

The first notes of Stuck Like Glue began and I launched into the song. Even though my plugs muted most of the sound, I could hear the crowd singing along.

It was the last concert before Christmas. Grandma and grandpa had flown back home last night. Over a foot of snow had fallen since they left and more was coming down even as I was performing.

As for my relationship with Jasper, I couldn't have asked for anything better. It had been almost a month and there hadn't been any drama whatsoever. It was the type of relationship I had been looking for.

There you go making my heart beat again
Heart beat again, Heart beat again
There you go making me feel like a kid
Won't you do it, a do it one time?


I pretended to rope in Jasper like I did every night. He stumbled backwards in mock protest, but this time he lingered a little longer, his back pressing into my chest. He flashed me a killer grin before I turned around and we leaned back to back.

There you go pulling me right back in
Right back in, Right back in
And I know I'm never letting this go
I'm stuck on you.


I broke off into a run towards the end of the song. I was sweating profusely, my heart was racing, and I was invincible. When we were finally done, I just wanted to do it again.

"GOOD NIGHT MONTREAL!" I screamed. Someone threw a hockey jersey up on stage. I slipped it on, did a bow with the band, and took off.

"Merry Christmas guys!" I shouted.

"Merry Christmas!" they shouted back.

We were all catching different flights. I hit the showers, changed quickly, and walked out with my bags at the ready.

Jasper was waiting for me. I stopped.

I smiled. "Are you going to the airport with me?" I asked. He shook his head.

"We've got a problem."

I frowned. "A problem?"

"All flights in and out of here are cancelled. There's too much snow."

My eyes widened. "Too much snow? But...but..."

"There's a week 'til Christmas," Jasper said. "We will both make it back to our famiies in plenty of time."

I exhaled loudly. "So what's the plan? Hotel?"

Jasper shook his head. "All booked. The venue said we can stay here."

"Here?"

I got a crooked little smile out of my little squeaky question.

"Hey, most of us are roughing it on the floor. You get your dressing room."

I crossed my arms. "So the snow's really that bad?"

Jas made a little motion with his finger. We walked to the door and he pushed it open. I gasped.

I saw nothing but white. The heavy flakes smacked against my cheek.

"Did all the fans get out?"

"Yeah, it really picked up in the last forty five minutes while we were all changing," he explained.

He pushed the door closed again.

"You're stuck wtih me a bit longer, snow bunny," he teased.

I bit my lip and hid a smile.

If I was going to be stuck with anyone, he made the po of my list.

-------------------------------------------

"I don't want you to sleep on the floor," I complained.

After some warmed up catering food, my crew and the rest of the venue staff had gotten creative with making comfortable beds. Even so, a few people were left on the floor. Jas decided to be one of the noble ones.

"It's fine. I camped out all the time when I was little," he said.

"In Jersey?" I asked doubtfully. He laughed.

"We went to New York. Up to the mountains. It was fun."

I made a face. We were both standing there with our arms crossed over our chests. I glanced towards the dressing room and made a split-second decision.

"Stay with me," I suggested.

He glanced at the door warily. "I don't think--"

"I have a couch and a big cushiony chair. It's all innocent."

When I had called mom and dad to tell them the bad news, mom had made me promise not to do anything irrational.

But I really didn't think offering part of my dressing room was irrational.

"If I say yes, you've got to let me take the couch," Jas whispered. I smiled.

"Deal."

We waited a while until everyone was distracted; Jas and I took the opportunity to slip into the dressing room. He sank down into the chair and patted the arms.

"So?"

"Very nice. Thank you."

I rolled up a hoodie and placed it at one end of the couch like a pillow. Afte I did that, I walked over to the chair. Jasper looked up slowly.

"Good night Brooke," he whispered.

"Good night."

I leaned down and gave him our traditional goodnight 'roady' kiss. Somehow the whole thing felt different; after all, we were locked in my dressing room. I let my lips linger against his own. I could feel the slight stubble in his neglect to shave every day. My pulse spiked; my breath grew heady. His lips were always perfectly moist. His arms wrapped around me loosely. His jaw relaxed; I found my tongue running against his teeth. His hand pressed on my spine and his head fell back.

"Brooke," Jas said thickly.

"It's just a goodnight kiss," I reasoned. His pupils were small as he stared at me.

"That was more than a goodnight kiss," he said. "That was a good morning kiss."

"So?"

He sighed. I hadn't pushed him before; he studied me intently. I opened my mouth to say something else, but before I could, he grabbed my face and pressed his lips against mine hard.

It was a total makeout kiss. My mind grew fuzzy. I don't remember doing it, but I ended up straddling his lap, his nice warm lap. My fingers played with the hair at the nape of his neck. Our tongues dueled it out over mouth territory. It might have only been twenty eight degrees outside, but it was like a million degrees in the little room. He grew hard beneath me; I only exacerbated it by wiggled against him.

"No," he finally moaned. He lifted my hips. My hands fell to his shoulders. I panted softly.

"I'm not breaking the promise we made. I'm not having sex with you tonight," Jasper said.

I knew he was going to say that; I was glad he did. Maybe I was testing him; I don't know. We looked at each other. He picked up a stand of my hair between his fingers and twisted it. He looked pained.

"Maybe...maybe we could be a little creative though," he said hesitantly.

"Creative?" I murmured.

"Well, there's other ways to get satisfied besides..."

I saw where he was going. I just hadn't been very creative with Trevor or Nate. I licked my lips.

"Do you have a suggestion?" I asked. My hands slid down and pressed against the building bulge. He smiled.

"I do."

He took my hands away.

"But not tonight. I've been dating you four weeks. I don't expect anything right now."

"But--"

He wiggled me over his hard lap until I had no choice but to get back on my feet. He stood up and gave me another satisfying lingering kiss.

"I'm going to go to the bathroom. Then, I'm going to come back out and tuck you in."

I shivered. "O--okay."

He turned into the restroom and I settled down on the couch. I think I was more turned on by him waiting than anything else.

-----------------------------------

"Do you like dogs or cats more?"

"Dogs. You?"

Jas laughed. "Dogs. I've always wanted a Golden Retriever."

"I love Retrievers!"

I stared up into the darkness. It was comforting knowing that Jas was so close.

"What's your favorie color?"

There was a pause. "Isn't it obvious?"

"Black?"

"Blonde."

I giggled. "Shut up."

We were playing a sleepy game of 20 Questions.

"Are you the type of girl who believes in marriage or just a committed relationship?"

I smiled. For some reason I thought of the days playing Barbies with Kay again.

"I totally believe in marriage. I want a marriage like my mom and dad."

"Me too," Jas said happily.

"Do you play any other instruments beside guitar?"

He groaned. I laughed.

"What?"

"I was hoping you wouldn't ask that."

"Why?"

He sighed. "I play the harp."

I snorted. "The harp?"

"My great-grandma was a harpist and grandma insisted one of her grandchildren learn to play. Guess who drew the short straw?"

"I've so got to see you play the harp."

"I'm going to have to be really drunk first," Jasper warned.

"Deal," I said.

I yawned. I was relaxed; I had the funny mental image of Jas with a harp between his legs. Soon the sound of Jasper's breathing became regular and I realized that he must have fallen asleep.

I rolled over onto my side and snuggled into the soft plushness of the couch.

I was right behind him on the trip to dreamland.
Chapter 36 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Thirty Six

"Landon you can't eat breakfast in your tux."

"Yeah-huh. It's my look."

I snorted behind my danish.

As soon as I had gotten home from Montreal, the whole family had taken off to Kentucky for Shelby and Mason's wedding. Everyone had gushed over how cute Landon and Brenna were. Brenna looked like a red-headed snow princess. Her dress was trimmed in white fur and she had a matching fake fur coat and hat. Landon had looked like a blonde penguin. His ego had exploded; thus, he wanted to wear his tuxedo twenty-four seven.

Mom looked at dad for help. He smiled.

"Well if it's his look..."

Mom threw up her hands. "I give up."

Dad laughed. "You gave up forever ago. Sit down and eat."

"Crap."

I watched Pey try to balance her danish with her left hand. She had broken her arm surfing two days ago. It was the first time I could ever remember her being even a little immobile.

"Hon, just be patient and take your time," mom said. Pey gave her a look.

"Hey, can someone drive me to Kay's tonight?" Noah asked.

"Not it!" mom said quickly.

"Not it!" dad said.

My eyes widened. "You did NOT play the 'not it' game on me," I said.

The 'not it' game had gotten Noah and I out of a lot of things. Mom and dad shared a smile.

"Looks like you're taking me," NoNo said.

I would have complained louder, but it was Kayleigh after all. I poured some OJ and stood up.

"Don't get used to it," I said. Noah chucked a wadded up napkin at my back. I scooped it up and chucked it at his head.

"Well, I know Brooke's back home now," dad said. "Beware flying objects."

"Ha ha!" I shouted. "Funny!"

"CRAP!" Peyton yelled again.

"CRAP!" Landon shouted.

Dad was so right. I really was home. The 'crap' was flying.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"This is classic."

"Do you think he even remembers this?"

"Which ones daddy? Which ones daddy?"

"The blonde one DORK!"

"Don't call me a dowk!"

Somehow the four of us had ended up in my bedroom. I had gotten bored and raided the attic. A box filled with videos had grabbed my attention.

We were watching the most hilarious, horrible video ever. It was some type of promotional video for libraries. Dad's acting was bad. And the singing---

"Reaacccch for a bookkkk at your librarrry!" Landon sang. I think he was actually enjoying it. Peyton was holding her arm and laughing so hard she was crying. Noah looked like he never wanted to claim dad again.

"What are you doing?"

All of us looked towards the door. Mom was looking at us suspiciously. I pointed.

"Have you seen this?"

"Where'd you find that VCR?" mom asked. She walked in and sat on my bed. I rewound the tape.

"Attic."

A minute later we were back at the beginning. Landon bounced in my lap and sang along. We had already watched the beginning about eight times. Mom broke into a huge smile.

"I've never seen this," she said. "Was it in my library things?"

She obviously hadn't recognized dad in the song intro. "Wait," I said.

A minute later the scene switched to six kids around a table. Dad got the first line. Mom gasped.

"Oh my god, that's Nick."

She was just as entranced in the awfulness of it all as we were. All of us were in hysterics by the middle of the video. Landon was laughing just because the rest of us were.

"What's so funny?"

All of us looked over at dad. Mom opened her mouth, but all she could do was snort. Dad glanced towards the TV. His eyes widened.

"Oh, hell no."

"I guess I wasn't the first librarian you had the hots for," mom gasped when she was finally able to talk.

Dad's face turned red. "Why are you watching this?"

I glanced at everyone. We all turned back to dad.

"L-I-B-R-A-R-------Y!!!! Reach up high!"

The laughter turned into shrieks. Dad walked over and stopped the tape just as his ten year old self was doing a weird air climbing motion while a retro librarian walked around the table still singing that atrocious, yet catchy song.

"Oh," Noah gasped. "Oh, you were such a dork, dad."

Mom wiped her eyes. "I think it's adorable," she said.

"You'd never catch me singing and dancing around like an idiot," Noah said.

I grinned.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"You said you burned this!" Noah shrieked.

I was pulled along the floor by my feet as NoNo tried to reach the DVD player. I grabbed onto him and we rolled around.

"Remember this?" mom asked dad. "A star was born that day."

"Two stars," dad amended.

"You're the devil!" Noah yelled. He grabbed onto my hair. I elbowed his jaw.

Since NoNo had been so cocky about never looking like an idiot, I just so HAPPENED to find a copy of Peter Pan that we had both performed in. I had been in fourth grade; NoNo was in third. He was Peter Pan; I was Wendy. Talk about singing and dancing around like an idiot...

"This is funny! This is funny!" Landon yelled. He bounced on my bed in a little circle around dad.

"All I remember is wanting to go home," Peyton said.

"Oh, my favorite part's coming up," I said. Noah grabbed for my mouth, but I rammed my hand into his gut.

"I won't grow up! I don't wanna go to school! Just to learn to be a parrot and recite a silly rule! If growing up means..."

We all watched little Noah singing his lungs out on screen. I began to grin. Little NoNo stopped mid-line and ran off stage. Noah groaned and buried his head in his hands.

"What happened? What happened?" Landon squealed.

"NoNo," I said. Mom was already laughing. She leaned over as far as her belly would let her and ruffled Noah's hair. "NoNo had to go to the bathroom. He got stage jitters."

"Did you have to poop?" Landon asked. His curiousity went way too far sometimes.

"Okay, we're done!" Noah announced. My screen went dark. His huge ass feet came inches from crushing my fingers as he stood up. "Can you take me to Kay's now?"

Dad got up and helped mom to her feet. She looked totally relaxed and happy.

"That was fun. We should watch this stuff more often."

"Yeah, the videos of Brooke trying to murder me as an infant come to mind," Noah said. I bounced up and helped Pey.

"You're exaggerating," I scoffed.

"I don't know. Some days..." mom said.

The conversation was quickly turning to embarrassing things I did. I grabbed my keys.

"Alright bro, let's go."

-----------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J_1LaY9sKQ to reference the amazingly hilarious library video Nick did in 1990. Thanks for ForeverRebel for the great laugh. It's been a long time since I've seen it!
Chapter 37 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Thirty Seven

As much as I loved girl time with Kay, I figured Noah deserved to have some time alone with her. It was still so weird to think that the annoying brother who was wrestling with me just a few hours ago was the same guy that was going to be a dad.

I was worried.

After I dropped Noah off, I went and did a little more last-minute Christmas shopping. I spent the bulk of my time figuring out what to get Jasper. I settled on a cool, black beaded chain. I stopped at UPS, overnighted it, and headed back over to the Littrells' to pick up my lil' bro.

When I pulled up, Kay and Noah were standing in the doorway. Kay wrapped her arms around Noah's neck and kissed him softly. She was wearing a Santa hat, perched to the side. She looked happy; there really was something to that whole pregnancy glow thing.

Noah went in for about a thousand more kisses. I figured he had done quite enough PDA, so I rolled down the passenger window.

"HEY KAY!"

They pulled away from each other; she looked over at me and smiled.

"Hey!"

I made a finger motion. "NoNo, get your butt in here! It's cold!"

Noah made a face and muttered something that made Kay laugh. I gave him a dirty look as he headed towards the car and then turned my attention back to Kayleigh.

"Did you like my presents?" I called out. I had gone a little crazy making a baby basket full of goodies. It was way to easy to spend money on cute little clothes, and booties, and blankies...

"I loved them!" Kay said. At the same time, Noah pressed my face back with his hand. I swatted him away and scooted back over to the driver's seat.

"I'll call you after Christmas!" I shouted. Noah mimed me.

"Grow up!" I complained. He stuck out his tongue.

"You grow up!"

"I am grown up. Which one of us can drive, hmm?"

Noah pretended to choke himself. I cranked the engine and took off towards home.

-----------------------------------------

Around midnight, I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep. After Noah and I got home, I had gone up to my room to wrap presents. Dad had brought me some hot chocolate and we had talked until I had almost fallen asleep with my nose in the cup.

But now I was wide awake.

I got out of bed and headed downstairs. The house in the middle of the night was so different than the daytime. I could hear every little creak that the house made. I grabbed some juice out of the refrigerator and snagged a muffin. I always gained my 'Freshman 15' whenever I came home. I stuffed the muffin in my mouth and walked to the front window.

At first I didn't realize anything was different. As I took a bite out of the muffin and caught it in my hand, my eyes drifted down the driveway.

Mom's car...dad's car...the big Carter-mobile van...

My car was gone.

I totally forgot it was the middle of the night. I whirled around and pointed my body towards the stairs.

"DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

In hindsight, I should have calmly gone up to mom and dad's room and woke him. Screaming for him only set off a chain of events that had everyone awake ten minutes later.

Dad had mistakenly thought mom had gone into some kind of really early labor. He was half dressed and holding an empty suitcase. Landon thought there was a fire and was doing the stop, drop, and roll thing. Peyton couldn't sleep through all the noise. She was currently finishing my muffin.

Mom was the only sane one.

"What's wrong honey?" she asked. She flipped on the kitchen light. I squinted in the brightness.

"My car is gone," I explained. "Someone stole my car."

Mom turned to dad. He was looking at her in shock.

"Nick, put the suitcase down."

"I was dreaming...babies...and then the scream...and..."

He put the suitcase down and walked over to the window.

"Brooke's car is gone," he confirmed.

Mom and I rolled our eyes. She looked around.

"Landon stop rolling, you're getting doghair all over your PJ's. Pey, you want some juice? Nick, go check Noah's room.

Mom was like a machine. Landon stopped rolling; mom poured another glass of juice and I heard dad's footsteps on the stairs.

As I looked around, I realized that the only person not downstairs was my stupid brother. But he wouldn't...

"He's not up here!"

Mom didn't look surprised. "I have a feeling I know who stole your car. If I'm wrong, we'll call the police right away."

"And if you're right..." dad said, coming down the stairs. "He's a dead man."

I grabbed another muffin. I was upset about the car, but I really wanted to see Noah get yelled at. It didn't happen nearly often enough.

-----------------------------------------

My car pulled back up the drive around three in the morning. Landon and Peyton had gone back to bed. Dad and I had played video games to pass the time. Mom had stationed herself by the window.

"Nick, he's climbing the lattice," mom said calmly. Dad put down the controller and headed up the stairs.

I could just picture Noah's face when he crawled through his window and saw dad sitting on the bed. Ha!

I strained my ears to hear what I could. I heard a thump; a loud, quick exclamation, and then nothing for a long time. Minutes later they were both coming down the stairs.

"It wasn't a big deal. It's not like there's traffic on the road or anything," Noah argued. His hair was a mess and his clothes looked rumpled. I so did not want to think about what he was doing...in my car!

"That's beside the point. You don't have a license which means you're not insured. Anything could have happened," dad said.

"And, there's no where that a fifteen-year-old boy needs to be in the middle of the night," mom added.

Noah looked down at the ground. He always tucked tail whenever mom yelled at him. He was such a momma's boy.

"Where were you?" she asked.

Noah shrugged. That got him a smack in the back of the head from dad. It wasn't a hard smack, but it held enough warning that he needed to start talking.

"I went to see Kayleigh," Noah admitted.

I made a face. That accounted for the hair...and the clothes.

Mom sighed. "Noah, do you realize how completely irresponsible you're being? This is how you and Kayleigh got into this situation in the first place.

Noah looked up. "But it's Christmas."

"I don't care if Jesus himself is making a one-day only appearance, you don't steal your sister's car and go do whatever you damn-well please," dad said.

Noah looked over at me. I tried my hardest not to smile.

"You owe Brooke an apology," mom said.

"Sorry," Noah muttered.

"Not good enough," dad said.

Noah stood up straighter. He looked me right in the eye. "I'm sorry Brooklyn Nichole Carter, oh wise and great one, that I stole your car and returned it without a scratch on it. Will you ever forgive me?"

Before I could say anything, dad nudged Noah's shoulder.

"Up to your room smartass. We're not done."

Noah scowled and marched up to his room. Mom and dad shared a look.

"Brooke, honey, why don't you go to bed?" mom said.

"Are you going to kill him?" I asked.

"We'll see," dad said seriously. Mom smacked his shoulder.

I headed up the stairs while mom and dad had a talk. I loved that they always decided on a course of action together. Of course, that made it so much harder to find a way around any type of punishment. I knew from experience.

Noah's door was closed as I walked to my room. I thought about going in and giving him a piece of my mind, but I decided against it.

I was sure he was going to be paying for this mistake BIG-TIME.

All I knew was that I was going to wake up early and disinfect my car.

Just in case.
Chapter 38 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Thirty Eight

Christmas flew by. Noah was grounded and for some strange reason seemed to think it was all my fault. Dad got Landon a new motorized car and he spent Christmas Eve going thirty miles per hour in circles in the backyard at eleven o'clock at night. Pey got tons of sports stuff that she couldn't use because of her arm; ergo, she spent a lot of time sulking by the plate of Christmas cookies.

The one big disappointment for me came from the lack of a present from Jasper. I know its silly; I mean what's a present really? Even so, I had sent him a necklace. I guess I was expecting a little something. That's what boyfriends and girlfriends did. Right?

By the time New Years Eve day crept up on us, I was worried that Jasper was regretting his decision to date me. I mean, he was fine when I talked to him on the phone but--

I had inherited my mom's worrywart-iness.

That's why I was pacing back and forth like a mime trapped in an invisible box at the airport. I kept one eye on the list of arriving flights. When the flight from Newark showed up, I took a deep breath.

If he wasn't on it...

"BROOKE!"

I turned. I had been watching the wrong damn terminal. A pair of strong arms wrapped around me and I got the kiss of my dreams.

Okay, so maybe I had been overreacting. I wrapped my arms around his neck; my hands connected with something hard and lumpy. I pulled away.

"What the--"

Jasper gave me an irresistible grin. "Your Christmas present. I'm sorry it's late, but custom builds were running later than normal."

He shimmied out of the strap, swung the object around, and held it out. It was a guitar, but not just any guitar. It was a girly guitar. It was pink and it had my name written in black script.

It was amazing.

The only problem was that I didn't have a clue how to play it. My instrument was my voice; I had never had the patience to do anything but bang mercilessly on dad's drum set.

"Oh! Oh...wow!" I said. I took it; it was heavy. I didn't even know how to hold it. Jasper started to laugh.

"It comes with free private lessons," he said. The look in his eyes told me that the lessons probably weren't going to be all on the guitar. I grinned.

"Excellent."

-----------------------------------------

Five hours later, I was trying to get ready for the New Year's Eve party and, as always, was running behind. People were talking and shouting all through the house.

"BROOKLYN COME ON!" mom yelled.

"Damn-damn-damnit," I muttered. I smacked at my table looking for my earrings. My fingers wrapped around the little orbs and I hurriedly put them in.

"I'M COMING!" I yelled. I looked at myself one last time. It was a 'little black dress' night. I pulled at my cleavage just enough that dad wouldn't make me go put on a turtleneck. I grabbed my clutch purse and aimed for the stairs. My skirt danced around my legs; it was nights like these that I loved being a girl.

Kay was standing right inside the door. Right behind her was Jasper. He was in a tux like the one he had worn to the VMAs. Plus, he had on my necklace. It didn't really go, but--

Good golly, miss Molly...

"Hey!" I said.

"Hey!" Kay and Jasper said at the same time.

Jasper walked up to me just as my feet hit the floor. We smiled at each other.

Everyone bustled around us getting purses and phones and keys. For once, I was the first person at the door. Mom, dad, Brian, and Aunt LeighLeigh stood in a line in front of Noah and Kay.

I smelled a set-up.

"We haven't forgotten your punishment," dad said. Noah's eyes widened.

"What?"

Aunt LeighLeigh looked at Kay. "You're staying here tonight and watching Landon."

Kay's mouth opened, but mom wasn't ready to let the lecture die.

"If you two are so intent on playing house and acting 'grown-up,' then I think it's time you see what your future is going to be like," she said. She stepped forward and made NoNo look at her.

"You're going to stay here and watch Landon. His bedtime is at ten tonight. His dinner is in the fridge; just reheat it. Read him a story. After he goes to bed, I want you two to stay in the living room. NO sex."

Talk about uncomfortable. I fidgeted; Jasper's hand brushed against my elbow. I felt bad for Kay and NoNo, but I could also see what mom and dad were doing.

Mom stepped back to go, but at that moment, Landon ran up. He wrapped his arms around mom's legs.

"Don't go!" he said. Mom pried him off and covered his face with kisses.

"By the time you go to sleep and wake up, we'll be back," she promised.

That didn't work. Landon burst into hysterics.

Noah and Kay looked at each other. They looked horrified. Mom's forehead creased, but dad took her arm.

"We'll be back around two," Brian said.

"Call if you need anything," Nick said.

With Landon having a mini meltdown in the background, we all went out to the cars. Jasper was driving my car; dad didn't want me driving on New Year's Eve. It kinda burned me that he trusted Jasper over his own daughter. I was responsible! So what if I was a gir--

Jasper's hand went to my bare knee as he backed the car up. My mouth went dry.

"That's not the gear shift," I said lightly. His fingers caressed slowly the area right above my kneecap.

"I know; it's better than a gear shift," he said. I blushed.

"So I take it you missed me?"

He laughed. "You haunt my thoughts blondie. Plus, that dress isn't helping matters."

I smiled. Something told me I was going to get my first sneak peek at what Jasper meant when he said we could be 'creative' without having sex.

I had a hunch I was going to love ringing in this new year.
Chapter 39 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Thirty Nine

"Here's a twenty. When it's gone, you're on your own."

Pey smiled up at dad; she took the money and glanced over at the huge arcade set up.

"Do you have your cell phone on?" mom asked. Peyton nodded.

"Okay, have fun."

Peyton ran off; I fondly remembered spending a couple of my New Years' in the 'kids section' of the club with Noah and Kay. This was probably going to be Pey's last year; then she'd join the legion of girls who scoped out a cute guy to dance with for the night and hoped for a kiss to end the evening. Of course, I didn't have to worry about scoping out a hot guy. I had one who was holding my hand and causing me a few heart palpitations.

"You two--"

Jasper had been pulling me out in the direction of the dance floor. We turned. Dad was giving Jasper 'the eye.'

"Yes, sir?"

"No alcohol," dad said.

"Yes, sir."

"No leaving the building."

"Yes, sir."

Dad looked like he was thinking hard to come up with a third thing. Mom wrapped her hand around dad's arm.

"Keep your cell on. I want you guys close when the ball drops."

I smiled. "Will do."

Dad looked at mom and then back at me.

"Well...have fun."

I stifled a laugh; Jasper and I headed onto the dance floor just as the music changed to a slow song. I wrapped my arms around Jas's neck.

"Careful," he teased. "Your dad might come over and do the ruler test to make sure we're keeping the proper amount of spa-"

I pressed up right against him. He stopped mid-sentence.

"You were saying?"

"I was being a smartass."

I laughed. "I know."

Jasper's arms wrapped around me and I lowered my head to his shoulder.

"Your hair smells good," he whispered. I giggled. My fingers played with the chain around his neck. I felt his lips on my collarbone.

I looked up at him. The room was decorated in silver and gold; it made everything seem, well, shiny.

"I'm glad you came," I said. Jasper played with a lock of my hair.

"I wouldn't have missed it. How long has your family been coming here?"

"Well, mom and dad have been coming here forever. They don't let in kids younger than twelve. So, this is my fourth year here. I spent two years in the kids room and decided to work the dance floor last year. It's a safe club; at midnight confetti falls and--"

Jasper's kiss interrupted my rambling.

He caught me off-guard. I grabbed onto his face and held it while our lips brushed eagerly against each other. When we pulled back for air, the music had changed. People were bumpin' and grindin' around us. I prayed I wouldn't see mom and dad doing that; it was a sure-fire way to embarrass the hell out of me. Besides, dad would probably get all crazy if he saw Jas and I making out in the middle of the floor.

"Want to go?" I asked. Jasper looked surprised.

"We just got here," he said. "Plus, I promised your dad we wouldn't leave the building."

"We won't," I assured him.

He still didn't look convinced. "Let's get a drink first," he said.

It seemed stupid to argue. His hand rested on the small of my back as we headed to the bar. Two diet Cokes later, we were sitting on bar stools side by side, watching the huge hall get more and more crowded. Jasper took a big sip from his plastic cup.

"Hey Brooke, what size ring do you wear?" I had just taken a big swallow of my own drink. I covered my mouth to keep it from spurting out. Talk about random...

"Why?" I squeaked.

"Mom found a ring while she was cleaning; she didn't know if you might have lost it when you came for dinner."

"I wear a seven. But I wasn't wearing a ring."

"Okay. It's probably mom's and she just forgot. She has more rings than a crop field."

It took me a second to get the joke. Total blonde moment. When I did I snorted. Jas looked amused. I was embarassed. He took the plastic cup from my hand.

"So what were you saying about going somewhere?"

I smiled and slid off the barstool. If he still wanted to go with me after I snorted my brains out...

"Follow me," I said.

---------------------------------------------------

Ten minutes later we were in my car in the parking garage attached to the club. The doors were locked and the lights were dim. Even so, I felt totally safe.

"Technically we haven't left the building. It's attached," I explained.

"Do you think your dad will accept a technicality?" Jasper asked. His eyes kept darting to my legs.

"He won't know. We'll be back by midnight, won't we?"

I know I kind of posed it as a challenge. The corner's of Jasper's mouth twitched. "Of course. We're just going to have a nice talk, right?"

The look on my face made him laugh. His hands snaked into my hair; he shook the strands through his fingers. I turned to him.

I'm pretty sure I kissed Jas first. His aftershave tingled my senses. His hands went from my hair down to my waist.

"Brooke, you're like dynamite," he mumbled. I covered his face with quick kisses.

"Is that bad?" I asked.

"It's dangerous."

I plunged my tongue hungrily in his mouth. He let out a sigh. I slowly maneuvered myself between the front seats into the back. I pulled my lips from his and sat back.

"Cars and beds are dangerous places for the celibate," he warned.

"I just want to get creative," I teased.

His eyes darkened. He crawled into the backseat. My hands found his tie and loosened it. I slipped it over his neck and twirled it playfully in the air. He gently grabbed my wrist and pinned me down. I slid on the leather seats, bending my leg so my dress fell to expose a clear expanse of thigh. Jasper's breathing came faster; my fingers massaged the material of his tie.

"You want creative?" he whispered. I swallowed hard. That voice...

His hand slid over the bare skin of my leg. When he reached my hip he slid his hand under and pulled me up by the bottom. Our groins met; he was hard. His mouth crushed against mine. His tongue was hot and warm; he took the tie from my hands and let it fall.

The hand that had grabbed my ass slid back to my leg, it stroked the outline of my panties. His kisses came deeper and deeper; our tongues playfully dueled for control. When I felt his fingers slip under the material, I forgot about winning the battle of the tongues. My jaw went slack as he stroked me.

"Good?" he whispered. I nodded so hard that I was sure I was going to pull a neck muscle. I grabbed at his dress shirt and yanked it out of the waistband of his pants.

I hadn't seen Jas shirtless before; in a tank yes, but never totally shirtless. I fumbled with the buttons as most of my brainpower went to the rhythmic movement that was causing all my lower muscles to contract pleasantly. Even still, I found success as I undid the last button and pushed the shirt and the accompanying jacket down his shoulders. I soaked in the sight greedily.

His abdomen was a beautiful layout of well-defined abs. A small smattering of dark hair ran down from his navel to below the waistband of his pants. His well defined shoulders rippled as he used one hand in my southern region and the other hand to grasp my breast through my dress.

"Fuckin' hot damn hell, you're..." I moaned. I wiggled on the seat; he leaned in close and caused me to stop moving. His fingers plunged and I let out a cry and just let myself enjoy what he had to give.

He kissed me again. And again. And again. Sometime later, the top of my dress just happened to slip down. Jasper's pants accientally came undone. There was boobs at play and a smokin' hot erection and a lot of dirty words, soft husky laughter, and contented kisses.

And best of all...absolutely no sex.

--------------------------------------------

"Are we cutting it close?" Jasper asked. I checked my cellphone.

"Oh, only thirty seconds," I said.

We laughed as we ducked back in the building. Jasper reached down and fixed the bottom of my dress.

The warm air was pleasant compared to the mostly chilly parking garage. My car windows had successfully fogged up, but the walk in the garage to the elevator had been brisk. I wove through the crowd towards the place mom had texted me to meet her and dad.

"Where were you?" mom said when Jas and I ran up. Peyton was already standing there; she had a big cookie in hand. She took a sip of dad's champagne when he wasn't looking.

"I just wanted one more dance," Jasper explained.

"Well---"

"TEN! NINE! EIGHT!"

Mom didn't have time to ask any more questions. Dad glanced at Jasper suspiciously and took a quick sip of champagne. We all joined in the countdown.

"FOUR! THREE! TWO! ONE!"

As Pey shouted "Happy New Year!" mom turned to dad. I turned to Jasper. He brushed my face with his fingertips.

"Happy New Year, Brooke," he whispered. "Happy New Year." I leaned into his embrace and kissed him passionately. It was going to be a great year.

-------------------------------------------------

It was almost two by the time we got back to the house. I was walking on air. I was in love. Not just 'love' but love. It was the most amazing feeling.

The house was quiet as we walked in. Noah and Kay were collapsed on the couch.

"How'd it go?" mom asked. She put her purse on the end table.

Noah and Kay just looked at her. Kay looked exhausted.

"It's not going to be easy, is it?" Uncle Brian asked.

I couldn't hide the pity I felt; Kay took one look at me and started to cry.

My high immediately crashed.
Chapter 40 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Forty

"Utah in January? Was I friggin' outta my mind?"

Jasper laughed. He grabbed my hands and blew on them.

"We have three more shows before you go back to being a normal girl," he reminded me.

I smiled. "I'm normal?"

Jas leaned close; his lips brushed against mine. "Okay, so normal's overrated."

He pulled away, reached up and brought down my guitar.

"Time for a lesson."

I groaned. "Jas, I suck."

His lips twitched. "Trust me, you suck with the best of them. But, I'm not letting you give up after six lessons." I puckered my lips. Five of the six lessons had ended up in a hot makeout session. I scooted closer.

"Okay."

Jas slung the guitar strap around my neck. I held out my hands and he positioned them on the strings. I shivered happily as he crawled behind me, his arms aligned with my own.

"Let's warm up with some chords," he said.

I fumbled along with the strings. I didn't know how Jas's fingers could fly so fast...

Then again, I knew how well his fingers worked.

"Let's try Born to Be Wild," he said.

My rendition of Born to Be Wild ended up sounding like Mary Had a Little Lamb. Jas started laughing. He brushed my hair off the nape of my neck. My fingers missed the next chord entirely as his lips pressed against my skin.

"How is it," I said distractedly. "How is it that I can sound so bad and you still get so turned on by it?"

The hum he let out vibrated to my core. "I have a thing for girls and instruments. And girls and motor oil."

I laughed. "Are you saying that if I changed my own tire or something that you'd find that hot?"

His arms slid around my waist. "Very."

I snorted. "So I just need to get greasy?"

His fingers slid under my shirt and splayed across my abdomen. "Greasy's good."

"Am I still playing this song?" I asked. My head fell back against his shoulder.

"You were playing a song?"

I let out a squeak. "Jasper!"

He laughed. His hand squeezed my right breast. My left was obscured by the tilt of the guitar. His mouth sucked greedily on my neck.

"Y'know we never get farther than this," I said. "Maybe that's why I'm not getting any better."

"You're getting better," Jas murmured.

I pulled away, slipped the strap off my neck, and propped the guitar on the ground. I turned around and straddled his waist. His hands slid into the back of my jeans pockets. Our lips met hungrily.

"What am I gonna do without you?" he whispered. His took my bottom lip between his teeth. My eyes closed momentarily; my hands drifted down his chest.

"Move to Florida, get an apartment, and give guitar lessons," I said. He laughed.

"You think for one minute your dad would let you visit my apartment?" Jas asked.

I wiggled against his hardened lap. His eyes unfocused for a second.

"When I get my apartment you can come over anytime you want."

Jas licked his lips. My hands ran over his zipper without pulling it down. He took his hands out of my jean pockets and slid them right into the back of my jeans. His hands grabbed my ass and lifted me slightly.

"That's at least a year away," he whispered. I pressed my lips against his Adam's apple. His head fell back and he moaned.

I wiggled away from his hands and sank to my knees. Slowly I brought his zipper down. His hands got a grip on my hair. And I got a grip on his...

-------------------------------------------------

"Portland, this is my last show. Can you believe it?"

I bounded across the stage and leapt onto one of my amps.

"Thank you for coming out tonight. I can't wait to come back again with some new music. Would you guys like that?"

The waving arms told me the answer was a resounding yes.

I looked over at Jasper. He stuck his tongue out at me. I laughed.

"There ya go makin' my heartbeat again, heartbeat again," I sang teasingly. The crowd went wild.

We ended with Stuck Like Glue. I bounded offstage to a snowshower of confetti.

The tour was over. At least until summer. My horizons were widening; there was talk about Australia...Japan...

I grabbed a towel. A cold bottle of water against my back made me jump.

"Here," Jasper said. He looked around, kissed my temple, and hurried towards the band's shower area. I unscrewed the lid, downed the water and walked into my dressing room.

There were flowers everywhere. They hadn't been there when I first went on stage. I stared in amazement.

I walked around slowly and checked each vase for a card. I couldn't find one. With my suspicions raised, I walked into my shower.

A bouquet of roses was dangling off of the shower head. I saw a sparkle. I pulled the bouquet down and plucked out the shiny object.

Circular. Silver. A ring.

I held it up to the light. It was a heart-shaped ring dotted with three small diamond chips in the center.

Size seven.

I didn't need a card. I knew exactly who was responsible. I set the ring and the flowers aside and stepped under the shower spray. I had never showered so quickly. I wrapped a towel around my body, piled my hair underneath another towel and picked up the ring and flowers.

I walked into my dressing room, sat on the couch, and picked up my phone. Two minutes later I heard a knock on the door. I opened it a crack and stared up at Jasper. He smiled.

"You rang?"

I grabbed his wrist and pulled him inside. He laughed. The moment I closed the door I smacked his chest.

"What is all this?"

"An end-of-tour surprise!" he said. He backed up before I could hit him again.

I turned around and picked up the ring. "And this?"

His grin was palpable. "An I-Love-You ring," he said softly.

I stared down at the tiny circle. I sniffled. "I really like it," I said.

"I can tell. I think you left a bruise."

The towel slid down over my eyes, but right before it did, I could see him rubbing his chest in mock pain. He walked over and pulled the towel back up. His fingers brushed under my chin and lifted it. He kissed me softly. I clung to the ring for dear life.

After a lingering moment he pulled away. "Does it fit?" he asked.

I opened my palm. The ring practically smiled up at me. "I dunno."

He plucked it up. He turned my hand around and wiggled my ringfinger playfully. With a smile, he slid it on.

Perfect.

Tears welled in my eyes. "It's beautiful."

"Well, so are you."

I sighed and wrapped my arms around his waist. He hugged me tightly.

"Did you find the chain too?"

I looked up. The damn hair towel slipped down again. "Chain?"

"I figured you might want to wear it around your neck if we're keeping on the down low. I got a long chain. That way I'll always be between your boobs."

I laughed. I could so totally see Jasper loving that thought.

"I didn't see it," I said.

Jas walked around the room looking in the bouquets. He finally found the long silver chain in a bouquet over by the couch. He came over and slipped it around my neck; in the process, he just happened to loosen my towel. It floated to my feet.

"Whoops," he said unconvincingly. His fingers brushed down my stomach and around my navel. My breath caught.

"How many more months until you're eighteen?" he asked in a strangled tone.

"Fourteen."

'Fuck' he mouthed silently. He bent down, picked up my towel, and wrapped it back around me.

"Get dressed," he said. "We'll hit IHop."

I clung to the terrycloth, silently cursing my parents for not having me a year sooner. The chain felt nice around my neck; the ring felt even better on my finger. I knew I was going to have to slip it off before I walked out of the room.

But I was never gonna let it go.
Chapter 41 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Forty One

Being away from Jasper sucked. Getting back into a 'normal' routine with school, chores, and homework was torture.

The only good thing was that I was finally able to hang out with Kay again. But even that was different. There was no denying the growing baby in her stomach. She spent almost every lunch hour with her hand on her abdomen, stroking it, a frown etched on her face. Half the time, Noah and Kay had broken up before the day was over, only to 'get back together' the following morning.

Tension had built up while I was gone; I was almost homesick for my bus.

Like the year before, my tutor had done a fabulous job. I was ahead of the rest of my classmates. It gave me the opportunity to goof off, but it also made the days drag.

The only good part of February was Valentine's Day. Even though Jasper was in Jersey, we managed a nice, long video chat. He had sent me an edible mood candle as a gift; I returned the favor by giving him a little 'dripping wax' show. I know I should have learned my lesson about technology and body parts, but the look on Jasper's face kinda trumped common sense.

The next day, Kay and Noah took off early from school for an ultrasound. I skipped my last class and went to Starbucks with a couple of other reckless seniors. When the hands on my watch finally clicked to three, I picked Pey up and we headed home.

Noah, Kay, and Peyton were in the living room.

"Where's mom and dad?" I asked. Pey tossed down her bookbag and headed for the kitchen.

"Your mom went into labor," Kay said.

"What?"

Mom hadn't been due for another few weeks.

"Da babies are coming!" Landon said. I watched as he poked a finger into Kay's belly. She smiled down at him.

"When did they leave?"

"Like two hours ago," Noah said. He had on ESPN and seemed preoccupied.

"So what are you two having?" Pey asked. She plopped into dad's chair and bit down on an apple.

"It's a boy," Kay said almost sadly.

"Boys have hoses!" Landon said proudly. "Girls have tacos!"

"LANDON!"

Noah snickered; I didn't have to guess where Landon had heard that theory.

I put down my bookbag. The five of us camped out in the living room. As the oldest, I knew I was in charge. "We should do homework," I declared about an hour later.

"I'm hungry!" Landon whined.

I got to my feet. Everyone watched me.

"Everyone want pepperoni?" I asked. Four heads nodded enthusiastically.

While I was on the phone ordering the pizza, Aunt LeighLeigh arrived. She pressed her hand against Kay's stomach and started talking to her and Noah. When I came out of the kitchen, she smiled at me.

"Exciting, isn't it?" she asked. I smiled. "Yeah, it is."

Leighanne looked around. "Do you guys have homework?"

I gave Noah a look. Why couldn't he have at least gotten his work out?

Ten minutes later we were all working on our assignments. Kay found Landon some paper and crayons and he kept himself busy 'doing school.'

By eight o'clock the pizza was gone and our homework was finished. The second the phone rang, I dove for it. I bounced excitedly; the caller ID told me it was dad.

"Hello?"

"Hey BooBoo," dad said. He sounded excited.

"How's mom?" I asked.

"Amazing. Perfect. I can't think of any other adverbs right now."

"Adjectives," I corrected. Dad laughed.

"Thanks smartie. Has everyone eaten?"

"Uh-huh," I said.

"Did you guys do your homework?"

"Uh-huh."

"Do you want to come see your sisters?"

I let out an excited giggle. "We can come up?" I asked. "All of us?"

"Every single one of you. We'll be waiting."

I beamed. "Okay. Love ya, daddy."

"Love you, too."

I hung up and turned around. Everyone was looking at me. I clapped my hands.

"Let's go!"

-------------------------------------------------

I didn't wait to knock once we all got to the room. Pey and I walked in unannounced.

The first thing I saw was mom. Dad was hovering over her, his arm around her shoulders. Mom's arms were full of pink blankets. She looked up and smiled.

"Hey girls," she said. She looked tired, but happy. So happy. "Come meet your sisters."

Pey walked around the bed to one side; I walked up to the other. Dad reached down and shifted the blankets.

They were so tiny. And pink. A little finger poked out. A little face squished up and yawned.

I was in love.

"They're so tiny," I whispered. Mom and dad smiled at each other.

"They're big considering how early I delivered," mom said. "No NICU for these two."

I sat down on the bed. Mom shifted a little bundle towards me. I took it gingerly.

"That's Megan," dad said. Mom was giving Peyton the other pink wrap.

"And that's Taryn," mom said.

A little button nose. A soft tuft of blonde hair. I leaned down and kissed Megan's forehead.

"What a different sixteen years makes," dad said. I looked up. He was looking at me with love. "You couldn't look at your brother without screaming. And now..."

I laughed. I had heard the story too many times to count. I brought my finger to Megan's chin. Her mouth opened on reflex.

"That's cuz Noah's annoying. Megan's not going to be annoying, are you?"

She started sucking the air. I took that as a no.

After a few more minutes of an out-and-out love fest, dad went out and got Landon. Landon almost devoured the girls he was so excited. He clung to Liv protectively and stared down at the babies in amazement.

Noah and Kay were the last two to come in. Kay looked uncomfortable; Noah's expression was unreadable. Landon beamed at his big brother.

"This one's Taryn," he said.

"And this one's Megan!" He clapped his hands excitedly.

"He can tell them apart better than I can," dad said with a laugh.

"They're identical?" Noah asked.

"Down to the last drop," dad confirmed.

Mom passed Taryn to Kay. Noah took Megan. The sight of Noah with an infant just seemed so wrong. I felt tears come to my eyes. I felt scared for him. Really, truly scared.

"You're right," Noah said, breaking the quiet. Kay looked over at him.

"I'm right?"

Noah looked at mom and dad and then back at Kay.

"We'll talk later."

I didn't like the sound of his voice; it sounded ominous. Kay seemed to know exactly what he was referring to. As Noah handed Megan back to me, I looked down at her tiny face. I knew firsthand how lucky she was; she had a great mom and dad.

She also had a big sister that was going to spoil her and Taryn rotten.
Chapter 42 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Forty Two

Three thirty in the morning. That was the time displayed on my alarm clock as a sharp shrill cry filled the whole upper floor. The second cry joined in moments later.

I waited and listened. The crying got louder. With a sigh, I swung myself out of bed, grabbed my robe and headed into mom and dad's room.

"Where's dad?" I asked. Mom had one baby in her arms and was rocking a bassinet with her foot.

"I sent him downstairs. He hasn't slept for a week."

"Neither have you."

Mom smiled. "I'm used to a lack of sleep."

I picked up Taryn. "Hungry or wet?" I asked.

"Hungry."

Mom handed me a bottle. We sat side by side and stuck our bottles into the two hungry, waiting little mouths. The cries instantly stopped. Taryn's blue eyes looked up at me as her little cheeks went in and out.

"Thank you for checking on me," mom said. I leaned against her. "It's okay," I said. "I hate to hear them cry."

Mom smiled. "Spoken like a great future mom."

"In the far, far distant future," I said.

"It better be," mom said. She smiled down at Megan.

"How did the delivery go?" I asked. I hadn't asked before; something told me I was the only one that was curious.

"I wish you all would have been twins," mom said with a laugh. "I mean, I was already pushing. In fact, I delivered both of them quicker than I delivered you."

"Was I really that much of a pain in the ass?"

Mom looked at me with an impish look in her eyes. "Only a little pain in the ass."

I shook my head. Taryn had sucked the bottle dry. I took it out of her mouth and copied mom's movements for burping. When I looked at her again, she was already back asleep.

"Milk in the tummy will always do that," mom said. She lowered Megan into her bassinet. I put Taryn down.

"Get some sleep hon," mom said. I hugged her. "See you in the morning."

I walked back down the hall and crawled into bed. The display on the clock read four fifteen.

-------------------------------------------------

"Oh my god Brooke, I thought you went to school!"

My eyes flew open. It was ten thirty.

"Shit!"

I scrambled out of bed. Dad stood in the doorway.

"I'll call the school. Don't rush yourself."

It was easier said than done. I had just missed a math test. I yanked my hair into a ponytail and threw on whatever I had handy.

"Want me to drive you?" dad yelled from the kitchen as I ran downstairs.

"NO!"

"Don't speed!"

"I won't!" I said.

My foot was like lead on the accelerator. I kept glancing at the clock. I was just about ready to congratulate myself on beating the speed of light when a siren blared behind me. I groaned.

I pulled over on the shoulder of the road and drummed my fingers against the wheel. An officer climbed out of the squad car and walked over. I unrolled the window and smiled apologetically.

"I'm sorry," I said quickly. "I had no idea I was going so fast."

"License and registration?"

I bit my tongue. I opened the glove box, removed my registration and passed it to the officer along with my license. The officer slid his glasses down and looked at my license closely.

"Brooke Carter? THE Brooke Carter?"

I smiled. "Yeah, I am. Again, I'm really sorry."

The officer smiled. I tried not to look too excited.

"Tell you what. I'll let you go with a warning."

I exhaled. "That's so nice of you."

"My daughter loves you. Do you think I could have an autograph?"

I laughed. "Absolutely."

Ten minutes later, the officer had my autograph and I cruised into the school parking lot. I felt a little guilty that I had pulled the celebrity card, but it was better than telling mom and dad I was being reckless.

Then again, I was a Carter.

-------------------------------------------------

"You know what I would have done if I was the officer that pulled you over?"

I chewed on the end of my pencil and pressed my ear to my phone a little more. "Hmm?"

"I would have made you get out of the car. I would have turned you around, hands on top of the car and I would have made you spread 'em. Then I'd frisk you until you wanted me bad."

I dropped my phone. I tossed my pencil down and scrambled to catch it. When I finally had control of it again, I laughed. "I would have had you kicked off the force, Jas."

"No you wouldn't. I would have handcuffed you to me and had my way with you."

I flushed. "Don't make promises you can't keep."

"Thirteen months, right?"

"Right."

We were both quiet.

"I wouldn't tell if you didn't," I said.

Jasper sighed. "Brooke..."

"What?"

"I'm going to make a good women out of you yet."

"If I remember correctly you said I was pretty good when I had my mouth on your--"

"Your mouth on what?"

I looked up. Noah was hovering in my doorway grinning. I panicked and hung up on Jasper.

"GET OUT!"

"I'm curious as to what you had your mouth on," Noah teased. "Are we going to have to see a video of it?"

I picked up a sandal and chucked it at him. He ducked. It landed with a thud against the wall.

"Why don't you make yourself useful and go help mom change some diapers?"

"That's not my job," Noah said quickly.

"It's going to be soon!" I said.

"Maybe not," Noah said. I opened my mouth to bitch at him some more until I realized what he said.

"What?"

Noah scowled. "Don't worry about it."

"Is something wrong with Kay?"

"No!"

"You can't just say that and not tell me!"

"Don't worry about it Brooklyn. It's not your decision to make."

"Noah," I said softly. "What are you two thinking?"

NoNo hesitated at the door. "Kay and I want to put the baby up for adoption."

My eyes widened. "Really?"

"Do you think I'm dad material?"

I hesitated. "Right now?"

"Or in a few months. It doesn't matter."

I sighed. "No," I said honestly.

"The little dude deserves more," Noah said. I saw how much it hurt him. I suddenly felt bad for chucking my shoe at him.

"NoNo, I'm sorry..." I whispered. My phone began to ring. Noah backed up.

"Later," he said.

I wished I could fix things. I wanted to go back in time, stop Kay and Noah from getting down and dirty. I wanted to take back sleeping with Nate and Trevor.

I wanted my first time back. I wanted to give it to Jasper.

But it was gone.
Chapter 43 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Forty Three

"Seventeen. Where did the time go?"

I rolled my eyes. I sprawled out on the floor and tickled Megan's stomach. She kicked out her legs like a frog. Mom stepped over me.

"It seems like just yesterday I was diving overboard for your stuffed animal," dad said with a sigh.

"Well, I'm sure Megan and Taryn will be just as adorable and witty as I am," I said. I sat up and stretched.

"What time will Jasper be here?" mom asked.

"Four."

"I can't believe you didn't want a big party," dad complained. I smiled.

"I'm going to cash in the party come graduation"

Dad winked. "Deal."

Mom laughed. "That was such a Dorough wink."

"Shut up!"

I got up and left mom and dad to playfully tease each other. Dad sat down by the babies and began to love them up as only the number one dad on earth could do.

I was more than a little excited about my birthday plans. Jasper had practicallyh had to cut off his arm for mom and dad to agree to let us go to Orlando. We were going to a concert, a late dinner...

And then we were going to spend the night at the Porofino Bay Hotel. That was the part we had the most problem with. Who knew dad could be so untrusting?

I headed upstairs and double checked my bag. I had labored over what to bring for weeks. Knowing that mom was probably going to peek, I hadn't packed any thongs or anyhting else that would remotely hint at sexual activity.

After all, it wasn't going to happen.

The only thing left for me to do was get dressed. I unzipped my garment bag and smiled.

I had opted for casual chic. Tight black pants, a black and white striped shirt, and a fitted jacket were nicely organized inside. I stripped down and put each thing on, double checking that I removed the tags and little stretchy plastic things that always hid in the shirt.

I had decided to wear Jasper's ring on my finger; somehow it didn't seem right to keep it nestled under my clothes.

For the first time ever, I was ready by the time the doorbell rang. It was three forty-five.

"I got it! I got it!"

My heeled boots reverberated on the hardwood floor as I dove towards the door. I flung open the door and smiled.

Jasper looked ready to rock and roll. In leu of his normal black t-shirt he had on an army green under his leather jacket. His jeans were ripped at the knees.

"Happy birthday," he said. He leaned in and kissed my cheek.

"Thanks," I said. I stepped back to let him in.

Dad was waiting. Jasper held out his hand.

"Good to see you again."

"You too."

Jasper had been smart to come early. After getting a rundown of 'rules,' meeting the twins, talking sports with dad and Noah, and explaining to Landon why we weren't taking him to Disney World, we were ready to go.

"Brooke," mom whispered as she pulled me into a hug. "Just promise me you'll be careful."

"I promise," I whispered.

Mom's warning stuck in my head as I buckled myself in to Jasper's rent a car. He slid on a pair of sunglasses and smiled at me.

"Ready? he asked.

I licked my lips. "Ready."

-------------------------------------------------

"So I looked at Tommy and said 'Do you realize that wasn't hamburger?"

I laughed. "What did he do?"

"He turned green and threw up all over dad."

"I bet your mom's glad she didn't have all boys," I teased.

"My sister's are just as bad. Trust me."

I smiled. My ears were still ringing from the concert. It had been nice to see things from the other side for a change. It had been even better to spend the slow songs wrapped in Jasper's arms.

"Here's your dessert."

The waiter set down a huge chocolate chip cookie covered in scoops of ice cream and drizzled in hot fudge and whipped cream. Two spoons were tucked into either side.

"Oh my god, I'm already stuffed," I said. Jasper grabbed a spoon and shook it at me.

"It's your birthday. Force yourself." I grabbed the spoon and dug in. "I could take a bath in this fudge," I declared.

Jasper's eyes darkened.

"Go on."

I kicked him under the table. "Shut up!"

Jasper gave me a lopsided smile. He dug into the cookie and held out his spoon. I leaned over and took the bite.

"Did you like the opening act?"

"Yeah, they were really good," I said. "Is my concert that loud?"

"Louder."

"No."

"Yeah. My mad skills break the sound barrier."

"You're ridiculous."

Jasper wiped his mouth. "Yeah, so you've told me a million times."

I put my spoon down.

"Ready to go?"

My heart began to pound; I nodded. The concert was over, dinner was finished, and our luggage was in the car.

Jasper paid the check and we both took out boxes of leftovers.

I wasn't tired; how could I be?

-------------------------------------------------

"Brooke, you're going to get me in trouble."

"I am not! It's not my fault they gave me all this."

"If they did their research they would have realized you're not twenty one."

I smiled. "Small detail."

The Porofino Bay Hotel was amazing. We had a room overlooking the water. I wasn't an ocean person, but the view was appealing. Between the hot tub, bed, and the bar stocked with liquor on the house, it was a disaster waiting to happen.

And it was all mine.

I picked up a bottle of vodka. Jasper swooped in and took it from me.

"What?"

"This is not a good idea."

I leaned an elbow against the bar. "So I take it you're not going to play some strip shot poker with me? For my birthday?"

Jasper groaned. "Why did you have to add your birthday into it?"

I smiled. "Because there's no way you'll say no."

Jasper worked on the top of the vodka bottle.

"One game Brooklyn, that's it. Cap size shots; not glasses."

"Deal. And socks count as one item of clothing not two."

Jasper looked at me like I was crazy. "Are you serious?"

I did a crazy little running man dance. "Totally!"

I could tell that Jas was doubting his own sanity. He sat down on the ground as I held out the pile of playing cards I had found in my search of freebies throughout the room.

"It's on," I said. I sat across from him.

"That," he said. "is what I'm worried about."
Chapter 44 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Forty Four

"Do you got any threes?"

"We're playing poker, Brooke."

I giggled. It seemed like I had been doing a lot of that in the past hour or so. I was down to my shirt and my panties. I had just wiggled out of my bra. I had the vodka bottle positioned between my legs.

"I forgot how to play," I said sheepishly. Jasper grinned.

I loved that grin. It was really hot. Not just vodka-induced hot, even though I really liked the taste of vodka, but overall just a really hot smile.

"Do you know how much of a lightweight you are?" he asked. He reached for the bottle. I grabbed it and scooted back.

"I--" I said. I tried to poke myself in the chest, but I think I missed. "I'm not the one that ralphed all over the bathroom on my tour bus."

Jasper flushed. "If you had as much to drink as I had, you probably wouldn't be alive right now."

My eyes widened. "Wouldja--wouldja miss me?"

"Brooke," Jasper said softly. "Gimme the bottle. You've been sipping even when it hasn't been your turn."

He lunged for me, but I managed to turn around on my bottom. I hunched over the bottle. While I was at it, I took another swig. His strong arms wrapped around me.

Jasper was doing much better at this poker game than I was. He had lost his socks and his shirt, but everything else was in tact. Damnit.

"It's my birthday!" I said loudly. Jas's fingers were working to pry my arms apart. I shimmied back against him, or at least I thought that was where I was headed. Instead, I ended up on my back. Jasper got a hold of the bottle and stood up. I made a swipe at his leg and clung on for dear life. He pulled me across the floor to the bar. I heard the bottle move back into its place amongst its other friends. He looked down.

"Don't you think it's time for bed?"

I giggled. Then I giggled again. I let go of his legs and got on all fours. He held out his hands and I slapped my palms into them. He pulled me to my feet. I wavered slightly.

"Woah, I think I'm drunk," I said. I teetered into his embrace and burst into a total giggle fit. Jas walked me to the bed and I crashed onto it. I flipped over and scooted back into the softness of a mountain of pillows.

"I think," I said slowly. I lifted my shirt. "You should do a couple body shots. Since you won the game."

"We didn't finish the game," Jasper said. Still, he stared at my abdomen. I raised my shirt right to the bottom of my bare breasts.

"You remembered how to play the game," I said. I felt wise beyond my years. I pointed at my stomach. "That deserves a shot."

Maybe it was because I was getting really fuzzy around the edges, but I could totally see the whole 'angel/devil on the shoulder' thing taking place. Jas ran a hand down his face. He turned his back on me and walked over to the bar. He hesitated for a second before he picked up a bottle.

My eardrums were still pounding; it seems like every step he took was perfectly synchronized. He hovered by the bed and looked down at me. He unscrewed a cap of something that wasn't vodka. I squealed as the liquor hit my stomach. Jas capped the bottle, set it on the floor, and crawled up on the bed.

His tongue lapping against my skin was all it took. He sucked greedily. His mouth paused and all I felt was the fire from his breath. He made slow circles around my navel. He had every last drop sucked in seconds. I let out a soft moan and ran my hands through his hair. He looked at me and I knew.

I knew I was breaking every last stone of willpower.

Sober Brooke might have given him a break. Drunk Brooke? Not so much. I hooked my thumbs under my panties and shimmied them down.

Jasper reached towards the ground. The bottle reappeared. He took a heavy drink and walked back over to the bar. I was beginning to think my display had backfired when all of a sudden he was back; his hand wrapped around my knee and he yanked me back towards the end of the bed. His head lowered and his tongue connected with my sweet spot.

Stars exploded behind my eyes. My hands grabbed the comforter and I let out a curse that just made his tongue work harder.

When your drunk, your mind doesn't work as well as the rest of your body. At least, I didn't think it did. But for once, that was fine. It was much better letting my body call the shots. It liked to be in charge. At the very least, it liked Jasper to be in charge.

Before long, we were both completely naked. Jas pinned my wrists gently and kissed me until I never wanted to come up for air. My hips arched towards him hungrily. He let go of my right wrist and gently pushed my hips back down.

"Brooke, I love you," he whispered. "But we made a promise."

Tears sprang to my eyes. Those three words...."I love you too," I whispered. "That's why it's right."

"It can't be right to be wrong," he said. I stared at him in confusion.

"I'm too drunk to understand," I said.

He rolled over on his side and pulled me close. His fingers brushed against my breasts before he locked his hands right underneath them, making me feel totally safe in his embrace. He kissed my neck.

"If you still want to in the morning," he said. "If you still love me in the morning, when you're sober, then it will happen."

"I'm not love drunk," I whispered. I closed my eyes; I knew I wasn't going to win the battle. My hands pressed against his. He kept kissing my neck and it felt nice...so nice. I knew I could get used to sleeping like this.

I probably wouldn't enjoy sleeping alone ever again.

-------------------------------------------------

I woke to small tiny hammers banging on my temples early the next morning. I crawled out of bed and padded naked through the room. I brushed my teeth and fought to keep from gagging. I sampled the complimentary pain relievers.

Then I went back to bed. Jasper's arm wrapped back around me.

I had been drunk, but not in a stupid. Some things were too important to forget. I turned, pressed my chest to his, and kissed his face. He smiled. His hand slid down my back. He opened one eye.

"Beautiful," he murmured. Then he closed it.

I scratched my fingers lightly along his back. He let out a sigh.

"It's morning," I whispered.

"Mm-hmm," he said. I wanted to see those beautiful brown eyes...

"I still love you," I said. I pressed my forehead to his.

He looked at me. He pressed me a little closer. My heart pounded happily.

"I love you too," he said.

He kissed my forehead and rolled out of bed. My mouth opened in protest.

"You smell like Crest," he said. "You can't smell like Crest and me smell like vodka and rum. It's not cool."

A second later, I heard the water running in the bathroom. I ran my left foot along my right leg. It was morning. We loved each other. Was it going to happen?

Of course not. The life of Brooke Carter could never be that simple. While Jas was brushing his teeth, I made the mistake of checking my phone. When I clicked on the text from Kay, at first I read it and thought nothing. When I read it a second time, I let out a scream.

The words 'help' and 'labor' jumped out at my sensitive eyes.

"Jas, we need to go!" I shouted. He came running out of the bathroom.

"Go?"

My bra was already danging off my arm.

"It's Kayleigh. She's in labor. Early. Way early."
Chapter 45 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Forty Five

I could have killed Kay. She hadn't been in labor; the drama queen had just decided to entice me back home so she could show me some stupid infomercial that she found hilarious.

I was not in a laughing mood. Unfortunately, I also wasn't ready to share the ins-and-outs of my relationship with Jasper.

My mind was still stuck on our declaration that we loved each other.

The idea of a do-over was promising, but I knew I wouldn't be able to talk Jasper into it. Dad had already started hinting at squeezing in a golf game when I reluctantly went over to the Littrells. I'd be lucky to even give him a kiss before he needed to head to the airport.

"You're grouchy," Kay observed.

I bit the inside of my cheek. "Sorry."

She was munching on a big bowl of fruit. She put it down on her belly like it was a TV tray.

"So, Noah and I finally made our decision."

"What decision?"

"About the adoption."

I had almost forgotten about that. I figured it was just another one of Kay's passing whims.

"What did you decide?"

Kay smiled. "Well, y'know I'm kind of a skeptic about miracles, right?"

I nodded.

"I'm not anymore. One happened. Baylee flew out here to see me. We had a long talk; probably the best talk we've ever had. He wants to raise the baby with Marcie. She can't have children. It's like it was meant to be."

I forgot about murdering her for a second. "Really? You're okay with that? Wouldn't he think you're his aunt?"

Kay shifted. She plucked a blueberry out of the bowl and tossed it in her mouth. "I trust Bay and Marcie. Marcie's a psychologist. If there's anyone that can make a little kid understand a crazy family tree, it's her."

"How does Noah feel about it?"

"He's relieved. Hell, BooBoo, I'm relieved. I can't do this. I feel like a penguin that has to take a giant crap."

I groaned. "That's eloquent, Kay."

Kay smiled. "Everyone's okay with it. My mom and dad are relieved; your mom and dad are relieved. I'm still going to get to watch him grow up. But this way Noah and I can go to college. We can have a future."

I exhaled heavily. My heart broke every time I thought about the baby. "Kay, that's really mature of you."

She belched. "Tell me about it."

I leaned over and hugged her. She sniffed.

"Do I smell rum?"

Crap. I hopped up.

"Gotta go!"

-------------------------------------------------

"I miss you."

"Well," Jas laughed. "Even though it's only been two days, I miss you too."

I smiled. "How much?"

"Let's just say I hope I don't go blind."

"Huh?"

He snorted. It was a really cute snort. "Never mind."

I sat up on my bed. "Do you want to know why I called?"

"Didn't we cover that? You missed me?"

"No! I mean, yes. But that's not why I called."

"Okay, dear. Why'd you call?"

I liked how he called me dear. "I need a prom date."

"Well, I guess I could ask Rocco..."

"JAS!"

He laughed again. "Kidding. When is it?"

I gave him the date. "Can you come?"

"I can totally come."

My mind went right into the gutter. I let out a little gasp.

"Brooklyn."

Even though he couldn't see me, I blushed. "What?"

"We have eleven months and twenty seven days. We can do this."

He was back in resolve mode. My resolve had crumbled irreparably.

"I'm weak," I admitted. "I want you. I'm a nymphomaniac."

"You are not. Believe me, I know once I get a taste that I'm not going to be able to stop," he said huskily.

The temperature in the room spiked. I fanned myself.

"I'll be strong for the both of us," he continued. "Let me know what color your dress is going to be, alright?"

I smiled. "Will do. Love you."

"Love you too, beautiful."

I hung up and hugged my pillow.

It was nice to have a Prince Charming.

-------------------------------------------------

"I got my prom dress," Kay announced at lunch a couple weeks later. I was busy stabbing at my half- frozen pears in a cup.

"Are you coming?" Kay asked. I had managed to grab a pear and had just stuffed it in my mouth.

I brought my hand up and chewed quickly.

"She's coming," Noah said with a smile. "With Jasper."

My eyes narrowed. I swallowed. "I don't know why I sit with Juniors," I complained. Kay leaned into me.

"Cause you love us."

I pointed my fork in her direction. "You, yes." I pointed at Noah. "NoNo...well, the jury's still out."

Kay beamed. I watched in disgust as she put a couple drops of chocolate milk on her french fry and nibbled on it.

"That right there is the best case for birth control ever," I declared. "I will never eat that."

Kay laughed. "I'll remind you of that in like fifteen years."

I rolled my eyes. I was fishing around for another pear when all of a sudden Kay let out a yelp.

"OH!"

I froze; Noah sprung out of his seat.

"What's wrong? Do we need to go to the hospital? Brooke get the damn car!"

All eyes were on us. Kay slumped in her seat.

"Sit down," she hissed. "I'm fine."

Noah glanced around. He gave an impish smile.

"G'day!" he called. He plopped back down in his seat and looked at her.

"Don't OH! if you're not in labor!" he complained.

She leaned forward. "I just wanted to tell you both that Baylee and Marcie finally agree on a name."

"Yeah?" Noah said.

Kay looked so proud; it was really sweet.

"Brody Thomas," she announced.

"Awww," I said softly. It was cute; it was boyish. They were using Uncle Bri's middle name.

"Does your dad know?" I asked. Kay shook her head and smiled.

"They told me first," she said happily. "I can stop calling him little dude now."

"I like it," Noah said with a smile. His eyes sparkled. "Even though I preferred little dude."

The three of us laughed.
Chapter 46 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Forty Six

"I'm going to take so much longer than you," I apologized.

Kay shrugged. "I'm not going anywhere!"

We were sitting in the salon. Kay and I both had big glasses of lemonade in front of us and doughnuts. Our stylists were working hard on our hair. I had a picture of a fancy up-do in front of me. Kay was just getting her already wavy hair done in curls. I knew she would never believe me if I told her, but with the end of her pregnancy near, she really glowed.

"What color's your dress?" Kay asked.

"It's called purple wine. It's really pretty," I said. "It's got this sexy low back and tons of beading on the bodice. What about yours?"

"Silver. Sparkly. I'll look like a disco ball," Kay said. I couldn't help but laugh at the mental picture.

"So," Kay said with a grin. "Do you think Jasper will like that low back?"

I stopped laughing. How much had Noah told her about Jas?

"I don't know why he would. We're just friends," I said lightly.

"So a twenty-one year old guy is taking a seventeen year old girl to her prom and they're 'just friends'?" Kay asked suspiciously.

I licked my lips.

"Yup, that's it."

Kay sniffled dramatically. "I thought best friends told each other everything."

I was becoming immune to her dramatics. "I was practically the last one to know about the adoption," I shot back.

"I'm sorry!" Kay said. "It was kind of out of our control."

Kay pressed her hands against her stomach and frowned.

"Speaking of Brody....I think he's trying to sleep."

I couldn't help but smile. "Sorry," I said in a whisper. "I forgot we had an eavesdropper."

Brody's interruption was a great way to steer the conversation in another direction. I rambled about music, clothes...anything but relationships. Kay's stylist got done first; Kay propped her feet up and closed her eyes. Her hands kept massaging her belly.

"Mom thinks Megan and Taryn are going to look a lot like me," I said. "Dad says Taryn acts like me when I was a baby."

"What? Sweet?"

I grinned. "No. Demonic."

Kay laughed.

A half hour later, we left the salon. We carefully got into my car and I drove around until we found someplace to eat. I had to help Kayleigh out of the car.

"I'm a blimp," she gasped.

"No your not," I said. She put my hand on her belly. I could feel him moving; mom had let me feel a couple times with the twins. It was the weirdest feeling ever.

But also the coolest.

The place we chose wasn't busy. We were seated quickly. After the waiter took our drink orders, Kay leaned back in her chair. She seemed distracted.

"So the baby shower's next weekend, right?" I asked. She nodded.

"Yeah. Marcie's going to be so surprised. Baylee swore to me she thinks she's coming down just for dinner and for Baylee to do a few things on his next album."

I grinned. "That brother of yours is getting sneaky."

Kay smiled. "Almost as sneaky as my best friend."

Not again. My eyes widened. "What's that supposed to mean?"

She shrugged. "You tell me."

I was saved by the waiter. He set down our drinks and walked away. I pinched the end of my straw and danced it along my diet Coke before taking a drink. Kay was still giving me her deep blue stare. I fidgeted. Finally, I had no choice. I propped my chin in my hand and looked at her.

"Okay, I give. There might be a little something between me and Jasper."

Kay laughed. "No shit. How little?"

I sat up straight.

"It started on tour," I said. My hands started to flutter like a butterfly. "During my stop in Jersey, Jasper asked me if I wanted a nice meal for a change. I was getting tired of burgers and fast food salads, so I didn't hesitate to say yes. Well, it turns out a homecooked meal meant going home with him and meeting his entire flippin' family."

That got a laugh out of Kay. "No way."

"Yes way! And I don't just mean immediate family. Besides his mom, dad, and five brothers and sisters, I also met his grandparents and an uncle."

"What did you do?"

"What could I do? I got introduced to everyone, tried not to freak out, and ate the best friggin' lasagne I've ever had in my life."

Kay started to really laugh. My hands flapped in front of my face.

"What's so funny?"

"I can just imagine you all blonde and perky meeting guidos and guidettes," she said with a snort.

"It wasn't that bad," I said. "Everyone was really nice. It's just that it seemed so...so...serious."

"How? Jasper's met your family a bunch of times. What about Halloween?"

I blinked. "That's different. Taking a girl home is...is..."

"You are such a traditionalist," she said.

I pursed my lips. A traditionalist? A traditional girl would have no problem waiting eleven months to get laid. I was hoping my sexy dress and 'fuck me' hair would make Jasper do just that.

After placing our orders, Kay leaned forward. I knew she wasn't done with the interrogation.

"So you met his family and then fell in love with him?" she asked in confusion. I felt my cheeks grow warm.

"No. It turns out that our stop in Jersey coincided with his twenty-first birthday. So, after the show, his older brother took him out drinking. Our busses weren't scheduled to leave right away. In fact, we were supposed to have gotten a hotel, but something else was going on that weekend and all of them were booked. So the venue gave us really good concealed parking."

"Do you know how much you just rambled right there?"

I made a face. "Do you want to hear this story or not?"

She smiled. "Go on."

"So, my mind was still on the whole dinner with his family and I couldn't sleep. I decided I needed some fresh air so I stepped out of the bus and walked around for a little bit to stretch my legs. Right around the same time, Jasper and his brother come back in a cab. Both of them are just wasted. His brother can't even walk. I get Jasper out of the cab. Since the other guys in my band aren't twenty-one yet, they were having their own party in the bus. My bus was closest so I helped Jasper up into mine."

"You took advantage of a drunk guy?" Kay guessed. I almost choked on my own spit.

"NO! I helped Jasper to the couch. He sprawled out along it. I turned to go to my bedroom, but he clung to my fingers and tugged at my arm. I knelt down next to him. He smelled like a liquor bottle and his eyes were totally glazed over. He looked around and then told me he had a secret he had to tell me. I put my ear close to his mouth and---"

I took a sip of her drink. My face felt like it had been stuck too close to an open flame.

"And?"

"That was it."

Kay frowned. "What was it?"

"He told me his secret. I went to bed and a few hours later, I sat by him while he heaved his guts out. The next morning after he showered and didn't smell like a hobo we tried out a kiss. And the rest..."

I wiggled my hand. Kay wiggled hers back.

"But what was the secret?"

I smiled. It still gave me warm fuzzies. "It wouldn't be a secret if I shared it. Trust me, it's only something I would understand."

Kay looked annoyed. Luckily the food came. We dug in with gusto. I hoped any extra weight would just go to my boobs.

It was wishful thinking right?

-------------------------------------------------

"How amazing was dinner?" Noah asked as the four of us got out of my car.

"Totally amazing," Kay agreed.

Jasper smiled at me. He hadn't taken his eyes off of me once since he had showed up at my door. I took his arm and followed Noah and Kay towards the doors.

"BROOKE! BROOKE!"

The paparazzi were still out in full force for a shot of me. They had caught up with me right as Kay and I finished lunch and they had been with us all day. But tonight I wasn't going to let it get to me. I wanted a good memory; junior prom was not going to ruin my perception of such a big event.

Maybe the star was just getting used to it all. We walked to the door and stopped at the back of the line. As I was craning my neck to see the decor, I felt a hand on my belly. I looked down.

"Sweet!" I heard Noah say. "Want to be my first mate?"

I was confused until Jasper and I caught up and I saw the decorations. The seniors had gone with a cruise theme. I watched couple after couple step up and smile in front of an endless backdrop of blue.

When it was Noah and Kay's turn, NoNo stepped onto the platform first. He helped Kay up and she leaned into him. He wrapped his arms around her tummy. Kay smiled. Noah nuzzled her neck after the photo was taken.

They might have been young; but there was no denying they were in love.

Once they stepped down, it was my turn. Jasper helped me up. He clung to my fingers; his eyes bore into mine. I turned slowly and pressed my bare back up to his tuxedo-clad chest.

"This damn dress," he whispered into my ear. I laughed. We stared into the camera and the photographer took a couple shots. When we got a thumbs up, Jasper helped me down.

"Are we ready?" I asked happily. Kay smiled.

"Let's do this year right," she declared.

-------------------------------------------

We so did things right. Jasper's hand had in effect felt up my entire body without anyone noticing. I felt my desire coiling so hot that I was afraid I might burn from the inside out.

"I need some air," I told him as we ended yet another dance. The DJ announced he was taking a break. Jasper's fingertips stroked down my spine.

"Don't get lost," he teased.

I pulled away. Most people were heading towards the punch. I spotted Kay. I wove my way towards her and tugged her arm.

"Bathroom?" I asked. Kay nodded; she looked tense. I even thought she looked a little pale, but I thought I was probably seeing things.

Kay turned and tapped Noah's shoulder.

"Brooke and I will be right back," she said. NoNo gave us a two-finger salute.

The line for the bathroom was long. Kay and I leaned against the wall. I slid off my shoe and rubbed my heel.

"It's great isn't it?" I asked breezily. I put my shoe back on. Kay smiled.

"Great," she repeated.

The line moved slowly. I was antsy to get back to Jasper. I wanted to sneak out to my car. I wanted to play a game of sexy striptease. I wanted--

I forgot what I wanted. Kay looked like she was shoving the wall. Her face was screwed up tight.

"You okay?" I asked.

She nodded. "Fine."

I wanted to believe her, but I had a bad feeling.

At long last, we finally got into the restroom. I dove into a stall; I couldn't worry any more until I peed. Doors opened and closed all around me. I did my thing, stepped out and washed my hands.

I glanced under the stalls and spotted Kay's shoes. I waited.

I waited some more.

She was taking an eternity. I couldn't help myself; I tapped on the stall.

"Kay?"

"Just a minute!" she called.

I fidgeted. I kept my eyes trained on the stall.

When I saw the pool of water, I almost didn't realize what had happened.

"Kay?" I asked nervously.

"Fuck me," I heard her say. She opened the stall door. She was holding her stomach.

"Help."
Chapter 47 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Forty Seven

"Don't call our parents first," Kay said in a panic. "Call Baylee and Marcie. Call em!"

I had no idea what was happening in the backseat; I had a white-knuckled grip on my steering wheel. For once in her life Kay wasn't being dramatic. My best friend was in labor.

"They were about ready to announce prom king and queen," Kay said in a small voice. "Who cares?" I squeaked. I leaned forward, my nose dangerously close to the windshield. I was driving like a bat out of hell. I should have learned my lesson about speeding, but I was almost hoping a cop would pull me over so we could get a damn police escort.

I loved my brother. I loved Kay. But there was no way I could deliver a baby. I was a singer, not an OB/GYN.

"Slow down," Jasper said. "She's not going anywhere." I had almost forgotten Jasper was in the car. I shoved my hand towards his face. Out of the corner of my eye I saw his mouth twitch. "KAY! LABOR! NOW!" My eyes flew to the rearview mirror. Noah looked whiter than snow. Kay yanked her phone back. "Bay? You gotta come. My water broke." I saw her teeth clench. I wanted to shout at her to keep her legs closed, but I kinda knew the opportunity for that advice was past.

Plus, who was I to tell her that? I was the one who had wanted to get sexed up in my backseat...the same seat that now had baby fluid on it.

Another glance in the rearview mirror told me Noah was calling Brian and Leigh. A conversation much have taken place while I was concentrating on the road; I heard Jasper talking to my mom and dad.

Kay moaned. My foot pressed down on the accelerator.

The red 'Hospital' sign was right up ahead. I practically took the corner on two wheels.

We needed professionals. Stat.

------------------------------------

"You're going to be fine," Aunt LeighLeigh assured Kay. "Your contractions are still far apart. They're getting you some pain meds."

The room was full of people: mom, dad, Uncle Bri, Aunt LeighLeigh, Noah, me, and Jasper. Jas and I were sitting on the floor. I was still in my prom dress. Noah had taken off his tie somewhere between the dance and the hospital. His hair was dishelved; he looked like he might pass out at any moment.

"Have you heard from Bay?" Kay asked. Uncle Bri had his nose glued to his phone.

"They have another half hour before they land," he said. I glanced over at mom and dad.

"Who's watching the babies?" I asked.

"Grandma and Grandpa," mom said. "Peyton's doing Landon control."

"Ohhhh," Kay moaned. Noah took her hand.

I leaned back into Jasper. I had never seen Kay in so much pain. Sweat had beaded up on her forehead; I could tell by the lines from the monitor when a contraction was coming. Her screams made me queasy.

"Want to get something to drink?" Jas whispered. I nodded. I knew the guy with the epidural would be coming soon. I prayed he was coming soon.

Jas helped me up and we walked out into the hall; no one was paying attention. There was too much going on: the labor, wondering if Bay and Marcie were going to make it in time...

"Diet Coke?"

I looked at the machine in surprise. We had already walked down to the vending area and I hadn't even realied it.

"Yeah," I said. Jasper put some money in and retrieved the two bottles that came out. I twisted the cap and took a sip.

"That year doesn't feel so long now, does it?" Jasper asked.

I knew what he was getting at. I licked my lips. "That wouldn't happen if we did it before then," I pointed out.

"You don't know that. They obviously weren't thinking this was going to happen."

I sighed. He was right. Even so...

"So what if it happens when I turn eighteen?" I pressed.

"I'd marry you."

My eyes widened. He was deadly serious.

"You don't marry someone just because they get pregnant," I said lightly.

Jas ran his finger around the top of the bottle. "True. But it wouldn't be my only reason." He sighed. "Brooke, there's more than one good reason for waiting. We have a whole 'nother year to get to know each other. You might find some annoying quality in me that you can't stand. It's better to know that before we do something we can't change. I know I have past regrets. What about you?"

"I can think of two right off the bat," I mumbled. Jasper smiled; he knew what I was talking about. He had called it from the start on the chimps.

"I don't want you to regret us," he said softly. He kissed me. I clung to my bottle.

I knew I wasn't going to regret him, but I also knew he wasn't just playing.

All my torture was for good intentions.

------------------------------------

"How are we doing Kayleigh?"

"Eh," she grunted.

It had been four hours since we had gotten to the hospital. Everyone was getting restless; Baylee and Marcie still hadn't arrived.

"You're about six centimeters."

"That's it?" Kay said. "My water broke hours ago!"

The doctor looked like he was trying not to smile. "It can be anywhere from a few minutes to a day after your water breaks before the baby is born. All women are different."

"A day? Are you fuckin' kidding me?"

Uncle Bri paused for a second and then kept talking. The pain meds had brought the real Kay back into the room.

"You're doing really well," the doctor added. "I'll be back."

I pressed my back against the wall. Jas had given me his coat to wear a half hour before; my dress was great for a warm room. A cool hospital room? Not so much. Jasper's tie hung loosely around his neck. I had tried to tell him he could go if he wanted, but he didn't seem to be in a hurry.

Noah, on the other hand, was in a hurry. He was pacing back and forth. I had never seen him so impatient.

I was the impatient one.

"It's quicker the second time around," Aunt LeighLeigh said. "Not that you need to do this again. Soon."

I couldn't have agreed with her more. Kay closed her eyes and shook her head. She pressed a hand to her stomach.

"They've landed!" Uncle Bri suddenly announced.

"What about the baby shower?" Kay asked glumly. Aunt LeighLeigh smiled down at her.

"Brody will be the guest of honor next weekend," she said calmly.

"I think I--" Kay stopped mid-sentence. The hand that was resting on her stomach dropped and she gripped the sheet. I gripped my sheet.

"Woah, that's one hell of a contraction," Uncle Bri said. COming from him, you knew it had to be bad. He hardly ever cussed. I looked at the monitor. Noah stopped pacing and knelt down beside Kay.

The hard contractions just kept coming. I started to get excited; Kay began to look like she was going to vomit.

"Did you feel anything before your water broke?" Aunt LeighLeight asked. Kay nodded.

"All morning...since I woke up," I gasped.

"So you've been in labor for awhile."

Kay let out a high-pitched wine. "I ate too much."

Dad laughed. "If a person gave birth everytime they did that, I'd have a million kids."

"You do have a million kids," Uncle Bri said.

"Six! Six isn't a million!"

"Six isn't a bad number," Jasper said from his corner spot. Dad looked at him in gratitude.

"See?"

I looked at Jasper increduously.

"Six might be a little much," I said awkwardly. He smiled. He leaned in close.

"Just think of all the fun we'll have getting to that number," he whispered. He kissed my earlobe. "Trial and error."

He had a point. But something told me we wouldn't have to worry too much about the trial and error part. I knew just from everything else we had done that we weren't going to have any problem making sparks.

Everyone started to talk about the right 'number' of kids. Suddenly, Noah got up and tore out of the room. I looked over at Kay. She was shaking her head; she seemed to be talking to herself.

"What's going on?" mom asked gently. She took Noah's spot bedside.

"It doesn't feel right," Kay said.

When the door opened five minutes later, I fully expected to see the doctor rush in with Noah at his heels. Instead, Baylee and Marcie rushed in. Marcie made a beeline towards Kay.

"We got stuck in traffic, we had a flat tire...we abandoned the rental car and just paid for a damn cab," she said breathlessly.

"What did we miss?" Bay asked. He walked over and kissed Kay's forehead.

"Not too much," Kay said.

I snorted. That was a typical Kay line.

And a HUGE understatement.

-------------------------------------------

Staying in the waiting room for the delivery was the hardest part. Jasper and I took turns catching quick little catnaps. Dad went off and called Peyton. He came back with McDonald's. Mom didn't move from the edge of her chair.

Baylee looked like a man being tortured. Only three people were able to stay in the room. Aunt LeighLeigh, Marcie, and Noah were the chosen ones. Bay kept glancing up at the clock. Bri kept hugging him and praying with him.

I was never so happy to see Aunt LeighLeigh when she walked into the room.

"Brody's here!" she said.

She started to cry.

It took awhile before we could all go in and see him. I clung to Jasper's hand as we walked back into the room.

Kay was holding him. Noah was attached to her; hovering over her protectively. Both of them were staring down at the little baby in her arms. They both looked like they had cried buckets.

For a second, I couldn't help but wonder if NoNo and Kay had changed their minds. Now that Brody was here, now that they could see him, how could they give him up? I knew I wouldn't have been able to.

"Brody, I bet your parents want to hold you," Kay said softly. Noah's cheek pressed into the top of her head.

I couldn't help myself; I started to cry. Jasper pulled me close.

"Really?" I heard Bay ask. "If you're going to be changing diapers, the first step is holding him," Kay said lightly.

Tears were obscuring my vision. When I finally got myself under control, I saw Baylee rocking the baby in his arms. He was crying.

"Hey," he said. He sank down in the rocker that was positioned by Kay's bed. "Happy birth day."

I almost started crying again.

After Marcie and Bay had each had a long turn holding him, Brody got passed around the room.

"He's got the Littrell nose!" dad said. He tapped it gently.

"Noah's eyes," mom whispered. "Look at those gorgeous lady-killer eyes."

"This bald head will be blonde in no time," Aunt LeighLeigh said when it was her turn to hold him. She rocked him lovingly in her arms.

"So this is what would happen if Nick and I had a baby," Uncle Bri said lightly. His eyes crinkled in the corners with his full-on smile. "Not bad, Nick."

We all laughed.

"We should clone him, grow him up fast, and give him to all the Frick-n-Frack ladies," dad added.

"I think that would probably achieve world peace," Uncle Bri said in mock-seriousness.

Uncle Bri passed the baby to me. I took him and got my first good look at my nephew.

He was a doll. An absolute doll. Mom hadn't been kidding when she said that he had the Carter eyes. Brody yawned and then stared up at me in confusion.

If I had just gone through what he had experienced, I would have been confused too.

"Hey handsome," I whispered. "We're glad you're here."

I kissed the soft fuzz on his head. I seriously wanted to hold him forever. After awhile, I looked over at Jasper.

"Want to hold him?"

He looked surprised. He smiled. "Sure."

If I thought Brody was cute before, he was even cuter with Jasper holding him.

The sight of him smiling down at Brody made me start to contemplate what the future might hold if Jasper decided he could put up with me for the rest of his life. I mentally fastforwarded ten years. I would be the one in the hospital bed; Mrs. Yevetti. And the baby Jasper would be holding would be our child.

I loved the thought of it all. I had an amazingly good feeling that I was looking at my soul mate.

The rest of forever didn't sound so bad, after all.
Chapter 48 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Forty Eight

"BWOOKE!!! UP HERE!!!!"

I scanned the people packed into the stands. It was impossible not to see Landon. He was clinging to the railing and looked like he was about to topple right over it. Dad wrapped his arms around his waist. I stood up and waved. My entire family waved back.

It all seemed so, well, odd. Even though I had played in front of hundreds of crowds, won a VMA, and been splashed all over tabloids, I was more nervous about getting through the graduation ceremony than anything else.

It all seemed so final. All of the teachers, all of the classes, all of the bullshit papers...it had all led up to this.

After doing a fell inhales and exhales to calm my nerves, I sat back down and did a head check in the bleachers. Everyone was there...

Everyone except Jasper.

His plane had been delayed by torrential rains. When I was getting ready, he had been texting me every few seconds. Unfortunately, the entire Senior class had to turn off our cells when we got to our seats. I cracked my knuckles.

He had to make it. I was going to be optimistic; otherwise, I was going to spazz in the ugly folding chair I was confined to.

I was seated fairly close to the front; it was the benefit of being a 'C.' As I admired the huge draperies showing off our school colors, our principal walked up on stage and began the introductions for everyone else that walked up behind him. A couple rows behind me, a couple guys snickered; a beach ball flew by my head.

The party had begun. The principal introduced our special guest speaker. I had a feeling that only a few of the kids sitting around me actually realized the guy was the Governor of Florida.

I'm sure I was also the only one that had to struggle not to cry. The speech made me tear up. The governor talked about hopes and dreams and how the world was like a blank book--it was up to us to write our story.

I couldn't have agreed more.

Once the governor was finished, he sat back down and the school administration stood up. The Superintendent of schools started to call out names. The 'A's' all stood up and filed towards the stage. I glanced up at the bleachers.

Still no Jasper.

The crowd, who was in a stupor during the speech, came alive as everyone walked across the stage. People started moving around, cameras started flashing, and the cheers almost made me think I was back at one of my concerts.

When one of the science teachers signaled the 'C's' to stand up, I found myself sandwiched between Shaun Cameron and Paul Case. They were both members of the basketball team. I was tall, but they were ginormous. As I stood inching my way towards the stage, I tried to look at the bleachers. All I saw was a shaggy head that kept bobbing like a drunk snake. Shaun's name was called and he headed up the stairs. I turned, but just then---

"Brooklyn Nichole Carter," the principal called out loudly.

I had no choice but to focus on the task at hand. I smiled and ascended the stage. I shook a half dozen hands and grabbed the empty diploma holder. All of us had to go to the cafeteria to get our actual diplomas after the ceremony.

As I stepped off the stage and returned to my seat, I finally had an opportunity to turn and look at the bleachers.

My heart melted. Jasper was there. He gave me a thumbs up.

I cheesily threw one back.

-------------------------------------------

"I promise you I got there before you walked," Jasper said. He looked at Kay. "Tell her."

She laughed. "I swear. He sat down when they were about three people from you. Didn't you hear him yell?"

I smiled. "No. You did?"

Jasper looked at me teasingly. "Of course. I did my best chimp noises."

I jabbed his side. He took my arm and playfully twisted it.

"We should party EVERY day!" Landon declared. He licked a glob of icing off his fork. "I wanna party

when I go to kiddy-garten!"

"It's kindergarten sweetheart," mom said. "And you have one whole year before you go to school."

Landon pouted. "But I'm a BIG boy. I's got a job to do."

Kay and I laughed. His face was stained from the food coloring of the cake roses and he had a glob of cheese sauce smeared on the front of his Disney t-shirt.

"Your job is to stay home with mommy and keep her company," dad said. "You've got to help with the twins."

"TWINNIES!" Landon said happily. He looked at Kay.

"Where's your baby?" he asked.

Everyone got quiet. Kay looked at Noah. NoNo twirled his fork around.

"He lives with his mommy and daddy," Kay said softly.

"But you're the mommy."

Crap. I was going to cry (again). Why did Landon have to be so...so...

Curious. And cute.

Kay smiled. "I carried him in my tummy, but it takes more than that to be a mommy."

Landon looked confused. He seemed to really have to think about that.

"Like putting band-aids on boo-boos?" he guessed. Kay smiled and nodded.

"Yup. Noah and I are still in school so we can't do all that stuff like your mommy can."

Landon nodded. "Being a mommy is a busy job."

Mom smiled and ruffled his hair.

"But it's worth it, kiddo."

She kissed his messy cheek. He made a priceless face.

"MOOOOO-OOOMMMMMMM!"

After Landon quieted down, everyone stood up and gave a speech. It was a total Brooke-fest. Jasper's speech was my favorite. It was ladened with inside jokes that only the two of us would understand. The look on dad's face was priceless when Jasper gave me a fake banana. After I explained about the whole Nate/Trevor 'chimps' thing, dad seemed less murderous. Shortly after, food was boxed up and we headed out into the night.

"I don't know what I'm going to do with myself now," I said with a laugh.

"Gee, I don't know," Kay said. "Do I sense a third album?"

I grinned. "Maybe. I've got to keep my guitarist employed."

Jasper laughed. Noah gave me a look.

"You could keep your brother employed too y'know. I need money for school!"

I laughed. "Give me some more songs and we'll talk turkey, turkey."

"Hey! Who are you calling a turkey?"

"If the NoNo fits..."

It was all good natured ribbing. Noah and I ended up chasing each other around the parking lot. It was so immature and so damn fun. I tried to coax Jasper into helping me. Noah took Kay's hand.

"Hey, she's ganging up on me! Help!" he whined.

Kay ran out onto the blacktop and dodged around a car as Jasper and I tried to formulate an attack.

Landon started cheering us on from the sidewalk. Peyton looked like she was dying to join in, but mom was holding her back. Her arm was just beginning to get back to normal.

It felt like things had gone full circle. So much had changed for all of us. Kay and Noah became parents and made the biggest sacrifice two people could make. Jasper and I had gone from a professional relationship to so much more.

It was all so different. And yet, running around the blacktop, it felt like the world was finally righting itself.

I was excited to start filling the blank book that was my future.

I had a feeling it was going to be an exciting story.
Chapter 49 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Forty Nine

"I don't think I've ever seen you in a one-piece swimsuit before."

Kay lowered her sunglasses.

"I just gave birth six weeks ago. Gimme a break."

I smiled. "Well, you look great. Bikini great."

Kay snorted. I knew she didn't believe me, but I was telling the truth. She didn't look like she did before, gone was the teenager's body.

She had gone straight to woman. She was hips and boobs.

I was a little bit jealous of the boobs.

It was the end of June and it was sweltering in Florida. The cup of ice I had sitting beside my chaise had gone completely to water. Kay and I hadn't had a lot of time to just do 'girl' things. A big annoyance, almost known as my brother, had her complete attention.

This was the first day I had put into effect a 'Noah' ban. So far, it was working well.

"Baylee sent me a video on my phone last night," Kay said. "Look."

She handed her phone to me. I shielded my eyes. My little nephew was holding his head up. I smiled.

"Aw, he did a little man push up," I said.

Kay laughed. "Kinda. Did you see a little hair?"

I squinted. Kay was obsessed about the hair. He still looked totally bald to me. "That might just be a shadow," I said honestly.

Kay made a face; I handed her phone back.

"They're coming for your birthday, right?" I asked.

"Yeah. I can't wait. I think seeing Brody will be the best birthday present," Kay said earnestly.

"I was pretty happy with a car for my 16th," I said. Kay laughed.

"I don't drive."

"Don't you want to? Ever?"

Kay tapped her nails against her lenses. "Why? No one drives in New York except cabbies."

I puckered my lips. Kay always looked at the smaller picture. "We'll agree to disagree. I love the power of being behind the wheel."

Kay snickered. "How's Jasper like your thirst for power?"

I kicked off my flip-flops and wiggled my toes. Just the mention of Jasper had me feeling all warm and tingly. I loved being in love. "I don't think he minds," I said lightly. Kay flipped over onto her stomach. She slid her suit straps down.

I closed my eyes and soaked up the sun. Jasper's gorgeous face floated behind my eyelids. I was leaving for Europe right after Kay's birthday. The Backstreet Boys had twelve sold out shows. Their opening act (aka me) couldn't have been more excited.

The Brits loved my dad; I hoped they would learn to love me.

"How'd your doctor's visit go?" I asked after awhile. I flipped over onto my stomach. I pressed my cheek against my towel.

"Good. I got the Mirena put in. Not that Noah and I are planning on putting it's effectiveness to the test for awhile," Kay said.

"You'd be surprised how creative you can get when you're abstinent," I said.

"You and Jasper haven't?" Kay asked. I shook her head.

"Nope."

"He's pretty hot."

I smiled. That was putting it mildly. I was so proud of myself for not tying him down and having my way with him. Ugh.

"Tell me about it. I'm not saying I haven't seen the whole thing, but..." I trailed off.

"I think you're stronger than I am," Kay said seriously. I closed my eyes again.

"You have no idea how much you getting pregnant affected me," I said softly. "And trust me. You're much stronger than I am. I couldn't have done what you did."

"What? Give birth?" Kay asked.

A quick peek over at her showed me the tears that were pooling in her eyes. "You know what I mean."

Kay sighed. "I don't want to have to make that choice ever again," she said.

I yawned. It was hard being lazy, even for one day. "Well, if I end up with Jasper, I'm destined to have a big family," I said lazily. "You heard him in your hospital room."

Kay smiled. "Six kids?"

"There goes the days of me dancing in a body suit," I complained. Kay laughed.

"I don't think I'm going to think about babies again until I'm at least thirty," Kay declared.

"You and me both," I assured her. "I need to ride my success during my peak years."

"Because thirty is ancient," Kay said mockingly. I laughed.

"In the music business, it can be."

We fell into companionable silence. I had been thinking about the struggle of balancing a career and a family. If, and it was still only an if, Jasper proposed to me, I knew that I didn't want to get married until I was at least twenty five. I didn't want to have my first child until twenty seven or twenty eight. I could tour with one child, maybe two...but after that...

After that the music would need to take a backseat. Dad had taught me well that family came first.

---------------------------------------

"There goes my tootsie roll! Yay Megan!"

Taryn began to cry. Mom scooped her up and covered her face in kisses.

"Does Taryn roll over yet?" Kay asked. Mom shook her head.

"No. I think she's getting frustrated seeing her sister doing something she can't. Her younger sister to boot." "Hey, you want cookie dough or blue moon?" I yelled.

"Blue moon!" Peyton yelled.

"I was asking Kay goober!" I called back.

"Cookie dough!" Kay called out.

Our girls day had started at Kay's house and ended at ours. NoNo was sitting with Kay on the floor.

They were watching mom enjoy some 'mat' time with the twins. Landon's little hands pressed onto mom's back.

"Our babies are getting big!" he announced happily. He let out a shriek as dad scooped him up.

"Those are my babies Lan-do!" Dad said.

"Here we go," I said. I walked into the living room and handed Kay a bowl. I turned and gave Pey her blue moon. She smiled at me.

"Are you ready for tour?" Kay asked dad. Dad settled down in his recliner and tipped Landon upside down.

"We're as ready as we're going to be," he said. He looked at me.

"We ready to rock Europe, Ms. Opening Act?"

I laughed. "We're so ready to rock, daddy-o."

"I hope you're going to rock the college world too," mom said. She had been hinting like crazy. I knew she had no problem with the music business, but she was a supporter of a back-up plan.

"I'm going to try an online class and see what it's like," I promised. Dad nodded happily.

"Speaking of college..." NoNo said. He leaned back and pressed his hands into the floor. "I've been asked to go to New York right before school starts back up. Julliard wants me to do a tour and talk with some people in a couple of the program tracks."

Mom beamed. "That's wonderful!"

"They've been after you for six months," Dad said proudly. "We'll make sure you get up there."

Noah looked at Kay.

"I thought Kay could come with me. Columbia's doing tours at the same time."

Kay smiled. "I think I can squeeze that in to my busy schedule," she said.

"HEY!"

Everyone looked at Landon. He was crawling all over dad. He had his little feet on dad's thighs; he put his hands on dad's shoulders and leaned his face close.

"I GOT ICE CREAM POOPS!"

Dad moved fast. Mom sprawled out on the floor and just started to laugh. Pey glanced at her own ice cream bowl like she was thinking twice about the ice cream, but then she shrugged and scooped up the last few bites. I loved it. I sprawled out by the twins.

I felt like I was slowly filling the pages of that blank book the governor was talking about. I had plans; big plans. I wanted success; I wanted love...

I wanted it all.
Chapter 50 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Fifty -- Nine Months Later-- "Where are we going?"

"Nowhere."

"Then why am I wearing a blindfold?"

"I heard it's the new 'in' accessory this season."

I snorted. "I don't think it's for me."

I brought my hands to my face, but Jasper pulled them back down. He playfully pulled them behind my back.

"Keep walking."

I did as I was told. I smiled.

There was no doubt in my mind where the night was going to end. Where it was beginning...

That was the question.

I was eighteen years (and one day) old. You could have cut the sexual tension with a knife during my birthday party the night before. I was totally okay with going at it in a closet...or a car...or anywhere else. Jasper wouldn't hear of it.

His honor system had still been firmly in place.

"Are we there yet?" I asked for the hundredth time. Jas laughed.

"Almost. Take off your shoes."

"What?"

"You heard me."

I kicked off my flip-flops. Jasper nudged me forward.

The ground was soft. Not sand soft. More like grass soft.

"I'm not going to step in dog poop am I?" I asked. Jasper expelled a sigh

"No. Stop asking so many questions."

I huffed. After about ten more steps, Jasper stopped me. His hands played with the blindfold.

With a 'swish' it flew off. I looked around in amazement.

I had no clue where were we. What I did know was that wherever it was, it was beautiful. My feet were being tickled by sweet-smelling blades of green grass. There were a few palm trees. And right in the middle of it all was a large cabana decorated in white lights; its white drapes were pulled back. Inside, a bed covered in roses was surrounded by large poles holding lit candles.

It seemed like we were the only two people in the world.

"Where are we?" I asked again.

"This," Jasper said quietly. "Will someday be where I build our house."

I looked at him in surprise. "Our house."

He grinned. "Yup."

I stepped back and made my way around the cabana. There was nothing. Just tons of land.

"Are we trespassing?" I finally asked. He laughed.

"I bought the land a couple months ago. The house will have to come later. I need a few more paychecks," he teased.

I stopped a couple feet from him. "You bought all this land?" I asked increduously.

"If I eventually marry a superstar, we're going to need privacy," he said seriously.

I gawked. "You're insane."

Jas rocked on his heels. "Are you just figuring this out?"

I was stunned. I was standing where a house might eventually sit. Our house. I glanced into the cabana.

"It's beautiful," I whispered.

Jasper closed the space between us. He cupped the side of my face. My lips parted. "You're the beautiful one," he whispered back. He scooped me up in his arms. The way he kissed me told me my wait was finally over.

With his lips pressed hungrily to mine, everything but him and me ceased to matter. Once we were inside the cabana, I left his arms and sank into the mattress. The sweet scent of rose petals invaded my senses. Jasper's weight settled pleasantly on me as our lips reconnected. The nape of his neck was sweaty; for some reason that's what I remember most. That and my heart beating so hard I was afraid it might break.

There was no rush; there were no deadlines to meet. Our cellphones were locked in the car, which seemed like it was parked lightyears away. I devoured the sight of Jasper's bare chest; the flames from the candles casting enticing shadows over his well-defined stomach.

I had obsessed over this moment for well over a year; the thought had always been met with a certain anxiety. But now that it was here, there wasn't an ounce of nervousness or hesitation. I sat up and let Jasper take off my tank top. He held me close as he unhooked my bra. I rained a shower of kisses along his broad shoulder. His fingers caressed my back as he guided me back down.

"I love you, Brooklyn," he whispered as he shimmied out of his boxers. There was nothing but skin. Beautiful skin to skin. I got lost in his eyes.

"I love you too, Jas," I whispered back. Strands of hair fell lazily across his forehead. I tilted my head back as he showered kisses down my body.

There is a definite difference between making love and having sex. With Nate and Trev, it had been all about having sex. There was a high level of recklessness and spontaniety; the end result was only gratification. As Jasper and I made love, I realized that there was so much more than just pleasure from action. We were giving something to each other; something so much more.

It was like I was breaking my heart in half and giving it to Jasper, and visa versa. Our job was to cherish, nuture. In essense, we were heartbreakers...

Our two hearts were becoming one.

THE END
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10314