Girl by littlemissamanda
Summary:

A Princess meets the Backstreet Boys.  What will happen?  Will she have the confidence to let them know about her life as a royal?

Girl Banner


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group, Nick
Genres: Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 2463 Read: 2887 Published: 01/17/11 Updated: 01/18/11
Story Notes:

This story is also on my website: http://in-my-mind.net

1. Chapter 1- Black Bird by littlemissamanda

2. Chapter 2- Symphony by littlemissamanda

3. Chapter 3- Taking Chances by littlemissamanda

Chapter 1- Black Bird by littlemissamanda
Author's Notes:

Hi all!  Hopefully everyone likes this story!!  Please review if you read!

Blackbird singing in the dead of night

Take these broken wings and learn to fly

All your life

You were only waiting for this moment to arise

"Black Bird" -The Beatles

 

 

 

1998

 

--Laurel--

 

 

Laurel Rose Elizabeth Grace Wales stood in front of The School for American Ballet, in New York City.  Things have sure changed for the 14 year old over the past 6 months.  This was a new beginning for the young royal, she needed to do this.  She thought back to what her mother, Diana, told her before she died.

 

"Laurel, you and Harry need to live your lives.  William has no freedom, he's being trained to be King, but you and your brother have the whole world in front of you."

 

After her mother passed away Laurel convinced her father, and grandmother to send her to America and to the School of American Ballet.  It took a lot of convincing because attending a school focusing on dancing is not "royal-like" according to her father.  Her grandmother didn't think it was appropriate for her 14 year old granddaughter to travel to a foreign country alone. Surprisingly, it was her brothers who convinced the elder members of her family that she should go.  Both William and Harry looked out for their little sister, they didn't want her to go through the media scrutiny they were going through.  Laurel was also taking her mothers death harder than William and her twin, Harry, so getting out of the country would be the easiest thing for her.

 

She looked back to the driver who was unloading all of her luggage, "Let me help you with that!"

 

"No, Miss, I can manage. We'll get someone to bring your things in and unpack your belongings as well," the driver replied.

 

"Really that is not necessary, I am quite capable of unpacking my belongings.  James, tell him!" Laurel turned to her bodyguard, looking for him to agree.

 

"Miss Laurel, it is chilly, I think it would be best if we go inside and get you all checked in.  You know you shouldn't be carrying those heavy bags to your suite."

 

Fed up Laurel walked over to the biggest piece of luggage and picked it up.  "James, I may be a princess, but here they don't know that." She started to walk into the building but turned around. "And, my mother raised me to be self sufficient, not like my father, so please do not treat me like I'm helpless." 

 

 

--Nick--

 

Nick was sitting in the dressing room at the Corel Center in Ottawa, Canada waiting for the show to start.  The 17 year old needed a break, he had spent way to much time with the guys lately and was getting more and more irritable as the days went on.

 

"Nicky, what's wrong with you?" Howie tried to start conversation.

 

"Nothing," Nick spat.

 

"Have you talked to Madison lately?" Howie asked referring to Nick's girlfriend who lived in Orlando.

 

"What do you think? I've been with you everyday for the past 5 months."

 

"Ok..." Howie got up, "Well don't sit in her too long."

 

It was obvious to everyone on the tour that Nick was upset about something.  The problem was that Nick would keep his emotions in until he finally exploded.  All they could do is wait.

 

 

 

Chapter 2- Symphony by littlemissamanda
Author's Notes:

Thanks for all the awesome reviews!  Hope you enjoy this next chapter!

This is my now, this is my today 

No more sitting on the side waiting for my chance to play 

Time to step out, so much to say 

But I'll never get the chance if I don't break away 

And write my own symphony, write my own symphony 

I gotta write my own symphony, write my own symphony 

Just let me write my own symphony

"Symphony"

-Marie Digby

 

--Laurel--

Laurel ran out of her dorm room, she was running late for her hip-hop class that was off campus.  She had been taking as many dance classes as she could, she wanted people to know her for her dancing talent, not for being a princess.

 

"Hey! Where are you going?" her room mate Andrea called after her.

 

"I have an appointment, I'll be back after dinner!" she replied.  

 

No one knew she was taking extra classes, because it was against policy at SoAB.  She could get expelled, although she highly doubted they would do anything, in the 6 months she had been enrolled at SoAB enrollment had gone up 150%, or so she heard.  People wanted to be seen with Princess Diana's daughter.  Luckily, the students all treated her like a normal teenager.

 

Laurel ran into the dance studio at Broadway Dance Center, she knew she was late but why wasn't anyone in the studio?

 

She walked down to the receptionist, "Excuse me, is the 4pm hip-hop class not meeting today?"

 

"Laurel! They're in Studio C, the whole class is auditionin' for a gig," the receptionist explained in her Jersey accent.

 

"Excuse me?"

 

"Whatcha' didn't understand me?  Here doll, let me explain it to ya. Get your cute ass in there and dance like ya never danced before."

 

"Ok, thank you," all of a sudden Laurel was nervous.  An audition?  Sure she had auditioned numerous times before for ballet related auditions, but never for hip hop.  She was a white girl from Britain, hip-hop was definitely not her forte.

 

As she walked into Studio C she saw a table lined up with 6 seats.  Her friend Candice ran up to her, "OMG Laurel!!!  We're auditioning for the Backstreet Boys!"

 

"Who?"

 

"OMG, you're from Britain not Siberia. Jeez, they're the incredibly gorgeous pop group who is known around the world."

 

"Oh, well cool. I can't do anything with them so I don't think I'm going to audition," Laurel looked at the ground.  She seemed to be the only one in the class who wasn't star struck by the pop group.

 

"What? Are you insane!  You have to audition. What is your dad going to do to you? Make you go back to jolly ole' England? I know you, and if you had to go back there you would make all of your family members lives a living hell until you got to come back."

 

"True," Laurel smiled. "But still I could get kicked out of SoAB, and then where would I go?"

 

"You could live with me!" Candice jumped up and down.  "Come on, we all have to do it.  We're doing the routine to Control."

 

It was then that both of the girls noticed everyone was ready for the audition to start.  They got into their starting positions.  It was now or never for Laurel, if she was ever going to make a name for herself outside of being a royal princess.

 

 

--Nick--

 

He didn't want to be at this audition.  He hated these things, sure the girls were pretty to look at but honestly he didn't care who he danced with on the next stupid tour.

 

He sat at the table doodling on the casting list, Kevin nudged him, "Would you please pay attention and at least act interested?"

 

"Why?" Nick questioned.  "I don't even want to go on this damn tour, or do another damn performance," everyone looked at Nick, who obviously was talking louder than he should have been.  "Sorry," he said going back to doodling.

 

When the music started Nick looked up.  He figured Kevin was right and he should at least act interested, and not like a complete jackass.  He saw a blonde girl in the front who was obviously leading the group.  She was good, not your typical hip-hop dancer.  She also looked vaguely familiar to him.

 

About halfway through the song, Nick's mystery blonde had a solo.  She was right in front of Nick, and gave him a seducing smile.  He could tell she was his age, gorgeous, and extremely talented.

 

"Damn, she's fine," he heard A.J. whisper.

 

"Back off man, she's mine," Nick countered.

 

A.J. laughed, "We'll see about that."

 

When the audition was over Nick and A.J. practically ran over to the blonde dancer, who was sitting in the corner stretching.

 

"Hi," Nick said out of breath as he pushed A.J. out of the way.

 

"Hi," the mystery girl chuckled.  She had a British accent! Nick was now in love.  "Is your friend ok?"

 

Nick looked at A.J. who was laying on the floor.  "Yeah, he's fine.  I'm Nick, what's your name?"

 

"I'm Laurel," she said shaking his hand.

 

Nick knew from that point on that he had to get to know this girl.

 

Chapter 3- Taking Chances by littlemissamanda

Don't know much about your life

Don't know much about your world but

Don't wanna be alone tonight

On this planet they call Earth

You don't know about my past and

I don't have a future figured out

And maybe this is goin' too fast

And maybe it's not meant to last

But what do you say to takin' chances?

What do you say to jumpin' off the edge?

Never knowin' if there's solid ground below

Or a hand to hold or hell to pay

What do you say? What do you say?

--Taking Chances Celine Dion

 

 

---Laurel--

 

Laurel sat in her dorm room doing homework, she wanted to cry.  She had just told Joseph Kahn that she couldn't be in the "Everybody" video for the Backstreet Boys.  She did want to do it, but she knew it would turn all of her family against her.  Part of her wanted to tell her family to mind their own business, but she couldn't.  The video would be so much fun, and a chance for her to do something different.  Plus, the guys were cute which really helped.

 

"Laurel? You ok?" Andrea, her room mate looked over at her.

 

"Yeah, I guess."

 

"OK, that's a lie," she took a seat on Laurels bed.  "What's the matter?"

 

"You promise not to tell anyone?" Laurel looked at her with tears in her eyes.

 

"Of course."

 

"I've been taking a few classes off campus, and I got an audition for the Backstreet Boys, and they want me to do a video, and I can't," she said sobbing.

 

Andrea hugged her room mate, "You're not doing it because of your family?"

 

Laurel nodded.

 

"If this is something you really want to do, then you have to do it.  Once it's done what is your family going to do?"

 

"Disown me," Laurel said in between sobs.

 

Andrea was handing her a couple tissues when there was a knock on the door.  "Hold on," Andrea replied.

 

Once Laurel had regained her composure, she got up and answered the door.

 

"Hi," she heard, as she looked up and saw Nick Carter in front of her.  

 

She quickly looked down at her pink fleece pants that had little penguins on them and her ratty grey sweatshirt.  "Ohmigod."

 

Nick chuckled, "Did I come at a bad time?"

 

She looked back at Andrea who was staring at them wide eyed.  "No," Laurel replied.  "How did you find out where I live?  How come you are here?"

 

"I know this is probably a shock, but I got your address from Joseph, I wanted to try to convince you to do the video shoot.  Do you want to go maybe grab some pizza or something?"

 

She was suddenly embarrassed again about her appearance.  "Well, I will have to change and put some makeup on.  If you want to wait downstairs in the lounge for about 15 minutes I'll meet you down there."

 

"I'll be timing you," Nick smiled, as he leaned in and kissed her on the cheek.

 

"This boy has game," Laurel thought to herself.  She closed the door and looked at Andrea who just squealed in excitement.

 

"What are you going to wear?" she asked jumping up to help her with whatever she needed.

 

Fifteen minutes later Laurel walked downstairs in a green boatneck sweater and jeans.  Her long blonde hair pulled up in a ponytail.  She saw Nick sitting there staring off into space.

 

"Boo!" she said walking up behind him.

 

Nick turned around and smiled at her, "Hello, beautiful!  You ready for some New York Pizza?"

 

Beautiful?  Really?  She had puffy eyes and cheeks.  "Always."

 

They walked to the town car that Nick had used and got in.  "We have to go to Brooklyn you know," Laurel stated.  "And get pizza to go and eat it at the Brooklyn Bridge Park."

 

Nick looked at her dumbfounded, "Well, ok then."

 

She stared out the window, "Why did you really come? Haven't you ever heard of a phone?  You could've called me."

 

"I told you why I came, plus I wanted to get to know you better.  You seem like a cool chick... er... woman.  Plus, I figured you couldn't turn me down if I was in front of you."

 

"Little do you know," she mumbled.

 

They sat in silence for 10 city blocks.  "So, how old are you?" Nick finally asked.

 

"15 you?"

 

"17, just turned.  Um... maybe I should order the pizza before we get there.  What do you like on yours?"

 

"Pepperoni, mushrooms, bacon, and green peppers," she replied.  She finally stopped and actually looked at him.  He looked good.  He was wearing a blue t-shirt and a leather jacket.  She didn't know why she was being shy, probably because this whole dating thing was new to her.  Could she even consider this a date?

 

They picked up there pizza and went to the park.  Luckily the town car had a blanket in it so they set it up and ate pizza under the stars.  

 

Everything was going great until Nick asked; "So, what other commitments do you have that you can't do the video?  Maybe we can get you out of them."

 

Laurel sighed, "It's family stuff, they don't approve of this. So I'm sure flaunting myself in a video wouldn't be the best thing."

 

"If I have to talk to someone I will," he practically begged.

 

"Can we just enjoy getting to know each other?" Laurel looked in his eyes.  She could drown in those eyes.

 

"Definitely, ya know I haven't done this in a while."

 

"Done what?" she asked.

 

"Gone out on a date."

 

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10443