Chronos Project by Purpura Lipstick
Past Featured StorySummary:



As an unsuspecting victim, a young woman is thrown through time when an experimental time teleportation device explodes one morning.  Five years later she meets the volunteer assigned to her case file. His mission, to retrieve her and get her home. 

A rogue volunteer and a love she knows can never be, soon have her back into the world she thought she wanted to leave behind.


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Brian, Howie, Kevin, Nick
Genres: Alternate Universe, Science Fiction
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: Chronos Project
Chapters: 38 Completed: Yes Word count: 64839 Read: 48668 Published: 07/29/11 Updated: 10/16/11
Story Notes:

If you enjoy, please leave a review and let me know.

1. Chapter 1 by Purpura Lipstick

2. Chapter 2 by Purpura Lipstick

3. Chapter 3 by Purpura Lipstick

4. Chapter 4 by Purpura Lipstick

5. Chapter 5 by Purpura Lipstick

6. Chapter 6 by Purpura Lipstick

7. Chapter 7 by Purpura Lipstick

8. Chapter 8 by Purpura Lipstick

9. Chapter 9 by Purpura Lipstick

10. Chapter 10 by Purpura Lipstick

11. Chapter 11 by Purpura Lipstick

12. Chapter 12 by Purpura Lipstick

13. Chapter 13 by Purpura Lipstick

14. Chapter 14 by Purpura Lipstick

15. Chapter 15 by Purpura Lipstick

16. Chapter 16 by Purpura Lipstick

17. Chapter 17 by Purpura Lipstick

18. Chapter 18 by Purpura Lipstick

19. Chapter 19 by Purpura Lipstick

20. Chapter 20 by Purpura Lipstick

21. Chapter 21 by Purpura Lipstick

22. Chapter 22 by Purpura Lipstick

23. Chapter 23 by Purpura Lipstick

24. Chapter 24 by Purpura Lipstick

25. Chapter 25 by Purpura Lipstick

26. Chapter 26 by Purpura Lipstick

27. Chapter 27 by Purpura Lipstick

28. Chapter 28 by Purpura Lipstick

29. Chapter 29 by Purpura Lipstick

30. Chapter 30 by Purpura Lipstick

31. Chapter 31 by Purpura Lipstick

32. Chapter 32 by Purpura Lipstick

33. Chapter 33 by Purpura Lipstick

34. Chapter 34 by Purpura Lipstick

35. Chapter 35 by Purpura Lipstick

36. Chapter 36 by Purpura Lipstick

37. Chapter 37 by Purpura Lipstick

38. Epilogue by Purpura Lipstick

Chapter 1 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:
Hunger pains and a mysterious man.
She crept through the shadows, the shadows were always kind to her and she knew no other 'home', she had not known any other consistent home for the last five years. When she was twenty-two and working at the UCLA physics lab there was an accident, she wasn't able to pin point exactly what it was that happened, when it was, but one minute she was working on her own experiment, the next she was waking up in a field. With no idea how she got there, she quickly made her way back to the lab. It wasn't long before she realized that she wasn't in California anymore, she wasn't even in her own time. She found herself in the late nineteenth century, in all honesty she couldn't remember how she made it through, she thought she was going to be stuck there forever but it wasn't to be, she felt a unyielding pain in her stomach, nausea surging through her body. Next thing she knew she woke in another place, in another time.

Her stomach told her it was time to stop reminiscing about her past, she was always famished after a jump. A diner across the street caught her attention, it looked like a mom and pop place, not busy enough as her usual desire but it was her only prospect. The neon was flickering, the “N” in the open sign would surely be burnt out by the time she was finished grabbing what she needed. The bell signaled her arrival to the waitress behind the counter. “Hello hun,” She called. “Sit where you please.”

Keeping her eyes cast down she glanced around, but sat near the door, quick get-away. The people, she noticed, were not too far off the clothing choice she chose last time. Jeans, and a t-shirt were common and she was glad for that. There was an older couple towards the back, a group of females chatting excitedly, one wearing a shirt with the word 'bachelorette' stamped across the front. One woman continually glanced at the lone man sitting at the counter, sipping coffee, a finished pie plate next to a laptop. Her first real hint of the time she jumped into.

“What'll you have?” the woman from behind the counter brought her back to the moment.

“Uh, cheeseburger, fries and a coke?” she asked hoping the food of this time was similar if the style was close.

“Coming right up.” The woman moved away and left her to take in her surroundings again. She moved her eyes back to the man at the counter and his laptop. She wished she could move closer, the man appeared to be looking at a news website and she desperately wanted to know what decade she was in now.

“Do you have a newspaper?” She asked the waitress when she came back to the table with her coke.

“Newspaper?” the woman laughed. “Where have are you from? Newspapers haven't been printed for five years now. You will have to move to the counter to use one of the Newstops.” She pointed to the counter where the lone man sat. She noticed several folded laptops now, and chains connecting them to the counter. The older woman must have noticed her perplexed look. “Bad day?”

She nodded while scooting out of the booth, grabbing her soda, she moved to the counter and sat down. She watched the man a few seats away and tried to mimic what he was doing. Sensing her eyes, the man slowed his movement so she could see how to access the Newstop and get to the information she needed. She usually picked stuff up quickly but for some reason she couldn't quite get the hang of it. Out of the corner of her eye she caught the man moving closer to her. With a few quick movements she was looking at a website with the format of a newspaper. April 17, 2020, the date at the top read, location; Denver, Colorado.

Mixed emotions ran through her. She was so close to the day she was in the accident, so close to the family she thought she'd never be able to see again, but she was in Denver. She wasn't sure she'd be able to make it to California before she jumped time again, but she had to try.

“Here's your food.” the waitress put the food down in front of her. Her thoughts brought her back to present and the growing pain, hunger pains thankfully, in her stomach. She grabbed hold of the cheeseburger and took a bite, grease dripped from the burger back onto the plate of fries.

“Delicious,” she managed to mumble out. It was only a short while until the burger, the fries and the coke were all devoured. As she licked her fingers, she plotted how she was going to get out of the diner without getting caught, she had no money, never did. Her eyes darted around, the waitress was over at the table of women, chatting, now would be the perfect time.

She got up and moved to the door quickly, but didn't quite make it.

“Hun?” The woman called after her. “Did you forget something?”

“I uh.” She was steps away from the door, she could just run.

“I got it,” the man who helped her access the Newstop called and out and flashed his card. He smiled at her. “You have somewhere to be?” He asked. “Feel free to go.” He watched as she smiled in return and bolted out the door and out into the shadows. Curiosity about this man who would pay for a complete stranger kept her in the shadows close to the diner. She watched as the dark-haired man walked out of the diner and glanced around as if he was looking for someone or something. His eyes stopped roving in the direction she was standing.

He watched in the general direction for only a minute but it seemed longer with her fear that he would come find her and demand to be repaid in some form or another for her meal. It would not be the first time a man had come to her aid only to expect physical payment in return. This man, however, only watched before hailing a taxi.

“321 17th Street please.” the man spoke loudly and, she felt, in her direction before disappearing into the cab. She waited until the area seemed less busy before emerging from her spot. She began to wander the streets, she needed to figure a way to travel the thousand miles back to Los Angeles. She had to find out what happened, if there was a way to fix it and of course she wanted desperately to see her family and the boyfriend she left behind even if they had moved on, it had, after all been eight years for them even if only five had passed for her.

A familiar pain in her stomach forced her to stop in her tracks. “No.” she murmured to herself. “Not when I'm this close, please not when I might have a chance.” She gripped her stomach, nausea sweeping through her. Tears rolled down her face as she expected to jump, her time in this place and year forced to an end by an unpredictable timer.

The pain ceased and she opened her eyes, ready to bolt to a hiding spot. She would never forget the time she jumped into what, she knew from studying history, was 1692 in Salem, Massachusetts. Someone saw her arrive and soon she was being hunted through the forest, screams of witch shouted by the hunters. She looked around perplexed. She was standing in the same spot she was standing in when started feeling the pain. Perhaps she jumped through time and did not move place, it had happened before.

“Miss? Are you alright?” A man standing in a doorway nearby asked, coming closer. “You were clutching your stomach just now? Do you feel sick?” He was close now, she could smell his cologne. It sent another wave of pain and nausea through her. She gripped a nearby trash can and leaned over. She couldn't believe it, she was sick. A stomach bug. It has been years since stomach cramps and nausea were only signs of her body attempting to purge. She sat on the pavement and put her head between her knees, taking deep breaths. She couldn't help a smile that crept on her face as she sat there, she hated vomiting, but she hated leaping through time more.

“Food poisoning?” a familiar voice said from somewhere nearby. She looked up to see the man from the diner standing over her. “C'mon.” he said as he helped her to her feet. “Where are you staying?”

Her mind was fuzzy, she wasn't sure how to respond. Typically, she would have a quick response about a relative or a friend nearby but she couldn't get the words out.

“Why don't you come to my room, it would be a heck of a lot more comfortable to get sick in a proper bathroom then out here on the street. Less gawking from strangers at least.” He pointed to two women across the way staring at her with a look of what she could only guess was disgust.

“I don't know you, what if...”

“What if I'm a psycho killer?” He laughed. He held her elbow and started to steer her towards the building they were standing in front of. He leaned close to her ear and whispered “I know who you are Julie, I'm here to help.”
Chapter 2 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:
Julie finds a friend? And hope.
They had made it all the way up to the man's room before the gravity of what the man said hit her full force. Before she could question him though, the stomach cramps came back and she rushed to the bathroom to finally allow her stomach release. She locked the bathroom door and laid her head down on the floor, relishing in the coolness of the tiles. How did this man who was unknown to her know her name. Did she mention it at the diner? She didn't think so, she was careful to keep her identity to herself when she planned on eating and running.

Her stomach racked with pain again and she threw herself back into position hovering over the toilet. She sat like that for several minutes to no avail. Her stomach was in pain, but nothing was going to come of it. She grabbed a towel from the rack and hugged it to her chest as she laid back down on the floor. A very light knock sounded through the small room.

“Are you alright? Can I get you some sprite?” the man who knew her who she did not know asked.

“Uhhh.” was all she managed to get out. She closed her eyes unsure of how much time was passing as she lay on the bathroom floor. The watch she wore when she started jumping was an item of wonder for a medieval village, they took it from her before imprisoning her. She watched as the beginnings of a pyre was being built for her, thankfully she managed to jump into a new time before they could come for her. After her few scares, she felt every jump could be her last. It did not take long for her to cling to the shadows and to stick to places she would blend in and be unmemorable.

Another knock at the door brought her back to the present. “I have a glass of sprite for you.” The man said. She managed to move enough to unlock the door so he could come in. 'Hell, if he is a psycho killer at least he would put me out of the misery of being sick, and I would no longer be faced with the unending time jumps.' She thought to herself as she made her way back to her spot near the toilet.

The tall, raven haired man slowly walked towards her, bent down and handed her the glass. “We can talk when you are feeling better. You should be feeling better in a few minutes.” He stood up and walked out of the room. She could see him sitting on the couch, eyes focused elsewhere she guessed on a television screen.

She managed to sit up, slowly sipping the carbonated beverage. The pain in her stomach becoming a small ache and then disappearing altogether. 'Did he slip something in the drink?' She wondered. She managed to pull herself to her feet, clinging to the towel and the drink she managed to make her way to the room that the man was sitting in waiting for her.

“What did you put in this?” She questioned him immediately after taking a seat on a nearby chair.

“The antidote to what I slipped into your drink at the diner.” The man spoke non-nonchalantly, his eyes still focused on the television screen.

“You poisoned me?” She slammed the drink down on the table and flew towards the door. She knew this man was trouble the minute he offered to pay for her meal. Before she could open the door, he was there in front of her, grasping her arms tightly, pushing her back into the room. He shoved her back into the chair and stood over her.

“I've been carrying that vial around for months, every time I thought I found you I'd arrived too late. It wasn't poison, only to make you sick. A way for the agents to be able to lend you a hand and get you into a private area.

We have very little information on times you have been in Julie. I waited at that cafe for hours waiting for you to arrive, hoping I wasn't too late again. We managed to find police report about a young woman with your description eating without paying. We hoped it was you, thankfully it was and now, that report is known to nobody but a few of us.” He smiled warmly at her and took his seat back on the couch, now facing her.

“How? Who are you?” She stared open-mouthed at him, unable to comprehend the information he provided her with.

“My name is Kevin Richardson and I am from eighteen years after the explosion at UCLA when you went missing. I am part of a volunteer search and rescue squad to find the missing from that explosion in 2012. You and a handful of others were in the vicinity of an experimental time teleportation device when a test run went awry and people closest to the experiment were, for lack of better words, flung through time.”

“So I wasn't the only one displaced?”

The man shook his head. “After it happened, those in charge of the device worked tirelessly to figure out a way to make it work so that we could retrieve you all and put you back where you belong.”

“How did they know we lived, that we actually went through time?” Julie picked up her glass of Sprite and started to chug it down now.

“They grew suspicious when no bodies could be found, no trace of any of you. You just disappeared. Of course, authorities looked into alternative theories but came up empty handed. Then there was the newspaper article of the first poor soul they found. A student in the psych department was doing research for a paper and came across and article dated 2001 about Mary Durance being admitted after screaming that she was from the future, scaring her family who, thankfully, kept the ten-year-old Mary away from the door.” The man glanced at his watch and looked at the door as if expecting someone.

“They managed to get an interview with the woman who still lived in the mental hospital. Charlie said he would never forget how her face lit up when she saw him and another student they mutually knew walk into the common room. They promised her they would find a way to bring her back. It took another eighteen years to perfect the device but the first volunteers managed to go back to 2001 before Mary could get to the door of her parent's house. They brought her back, our first success.” The man stopped talking and moved to a small refrigerator pulling a bottle of water out and drinking.

“So you've come to bring me home?” Julie's face brightened. It was the best news she'd had. She would get to go home, she stood and hugged the man tightly. “When do we leave? Is there anything I need to do to get ready?” She could feel the smile on her face, it had been so long since she had any reason to smile.

The look on the man's face forced the smile to disappear again. “I'm sorry Julie, I won't be taking you back right now.” He shrugged as she pushed him backwards.

“Why did you bring me here then? Why drug me? Why give me hope and then pull it out from under me?” She was screaming, it was her attempt to keep the tears from falling, but it was not working. She felt all hope slip from her in that moment. Why did he do this to her? Was it all a sick joke?

“How long have you been, lost?” He asked her, his voice still calm.

Julie wiped her eyes and nose on her sleeve. “Best guess, five years. Hard to keep track of but I think I managed to keep a decent account.”

“If I were to take you back to 2012 now, you would be five years older then when you disappeared. I'm here to get the information of your first jump. Where did you end up? What year, what time, I need to get all the information from you I can so that I can jump back into that time and take you home so none of this will ever have happened.”

“Really?” she asked, a little wary.

“Yes, really Julie. I will bring you home, and none of this will even be a memory.” He moved closer to her but before he reached her pain shot through her stomach again, before she could get back to the bathroom she fell onto the floor, nausea sweeping through her.

“NO!” She heard Kevin yell out.

Tears fell freely from her eyes. She missed her chance. He was there to save her, but it came too late, she felt it for sure this time. She jumped. Her eyes confirmed it when she opened her eyes to see that she was now on the beach next to some ocean. With no one in sight, Julie curled up on the shore and cried at her missed opportunity.
Chapter 3 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Who is that man in the bushes?

The pungent smell of the ocean inches away from her nose could not bring Julie out of her self imposed stupor. She would have remained in that spot, unconscious to the world if the tide had not been coming in. The nose full of salt water brought her back into the moment, now fully aware of her surroundings. Immediately, her eyes flew to the crags of rocks close by. She managed to find an open area between the uneven rocks that was free of water and sat back down. Hugging her knees tight to her chest she could not help but dwell on the on the moments passed. A fellow time traveler, someone sent to find her and help her to get back where she belonged, and now she was lost in time again.

She sat in her world of regret until the sun crept further below the horizon. Her bones ached with exhaustion, and from being recently sick. It was dark when she jumped away from the other time traveler and now night was falling again. She needed rest but she did not want to sleep through the night on the beach no mater how romantic she thought it was in her youth, it was too open and left her vulnerable.

Cautiously, Julie popped her head above the rocks and peeked for any other humans. The beach was still empty. Every beach she could think of would be crawling with tourists, beach bunnies and men wearing swimwear entirely too small for their bodies. To see an empty beach gave Julie a thrill that she would have enjoyed more if her mind did not scream for sleep.

She eyed lush vegetation nearby and smiled with relief. This held the most possibility for coverage; she could only hope that she stayed long enough to get a full night's sleep. Pushing through low branches, trying her best to avoid too many scratches, the first smile in months crossed her face as she found a small pavilion. As she settle down to sleep, she was, at least, thankful that she jumped to a warm spot. Even though the pavilion's wood floor was hard, as soon as her eyes closed, Julie was asleep.

Unavoidable daylight streaming through the trees woke Julie. Voices on the beach nearby forced her to full alertness. She scrambled into an area heavy with plants and watched as the voices got closer to where she was, they moved towards the pavilion unaware of their silent spectator. She watched as many more people came streaming through setting setting up what looked like film equipment. The bustle of the workers entertained her and she relaxed. She was obviously not in a time period she would be tried as a witch nor was she in an area only inhabited by Amazonian cannibals. She was so engrossed in watching that she was oblivious to the man sneaking up from behind.

“Trying to avoid work?” a familiar drawl asked.

Julie could not place the voice, but she knew it was familiar. Having been caught she was hoping if she ignored the man then he would go away and leave her alone. She longed for night and the deep shadows it brought. Though she knew she would not be put to death as a witch, she did not want to deal with explaining who she was and where she came from.

“Hey Edith,” the man called. “I think I found your missing assistant.”

A woman wearing a brown wool, plaid skirt, a white blouse and a jacket flung over her shoulders to match her skirt and black heeled shoes sashayed up to her the best she could walking with sand underfoot. “Well now Mr. Presley, she must be the new one the agency sent over. I don't recognize her face.” She glanced over the top of her sunglasses at Julie. C'mon sweetheart I'll show you where you will be working.” Julie stood, unable to grasp what she just heard. Slowly she turned around and came face to face with Elvis Presley. Her mouth gaped open. She may not have been a big fan of the King of Rock, but she found it hard not to be in awe standing in his presence.

She wasn't given much time to gawk before she was drug away to the costume area and put to work making sure all the actors and actresses had the right outfits and accessories. Julie managed to borrow one of the outfits that was not going to be used in the movie to fit in around the set. She worked hard, but it was worth it. She was fed and nobody questioned her, mostly just demanded things from her.

When filming stopped for the evening Julie began to wonder if she was going to have to hang around until everyone was gone and sneak back to the pavilion. By the time she was done hanging all the clothes and moving them to their correct areas it was late and she was exhausted. A few other assistants were still hanging around cleaning up too.

“You about finished?” a male voice from behind asked startling her.

Julie turned in the direction of the voice, “I just finished.”

“Me and the other guys are going to head back to the rooms, we wanted to know if you wanted to walk back with us. Unless, of course, you want to walk back on your own.” He stood smiling, waiting for her to answer him. She hadn't thought that there might be rooms the assistants slept in, she nodded her head eagerly. Sleeping in a bed would be heaven for her.

“I am ready to go when you are.” She said grabbing her bundle of clothes she changed out of and walking to match his stride. It wasn't long before they were in a slightly run down hotel. She could see others who worked on the crew sitting around smoking after a hard day of work. “Where will I sleep?” She asked.

The guy she was following smiled at her and took her to a room door. Julie was scared for a brief moment that this guy was taking her back to his room. “Why do you look so frightened?” He knocked on the door and it was opened shortly by another female Julie had seen running around on the set.

“Yah?” She asked.

“I brought the new girl. Figured you could show her the rest.” He turned to Julie and held out his hand. “It was nice to meet you...?” He waited for her to reply.

She toyed with giving a fake name, but now that she knew people were looking for her she wanted her real name put out there. “Julie,” She responded taking his hand. “And you are?”

“Tommy.”

“Thank you Tommy.” Julie shook his hand and turned towards the other girl.

“My name is Cynthia, welcome.” the other girl said in a tone that sounded none to happy to have another person join her bunk. Julie followed her inside to find three other girls sitting around on the various beds. As soon as the other girls introduced themselves to her, Julie stood around looking for a place to crash. She didn't want to seem rude, but she was tired and wanted desperately to get some sleep.

“So where can I sleep?” She asked.

“You are sharing the bed with Meg.” Cynthia pointed to the quiet girl sitting on a double bed alone. When she heard her name, she looked up and smiled quickly before dropping her head back down looking at her fingers.

“Okay. Hi Meg.” Julie sat down and pulled the covers over her, scooting further down on the bed so that she could get some sleep. She felt Meg lay down next to her but soon did not hear anything else until the morning when Cynthia started shouting for everyone to wake up.

For the next two months, Julie's days mirrored her first, minus Elvis sneaking up on her from behind. She worked all day into the evening, went back to her room and fell exhausted into the bed she shared with Meg. This was the longest she could remember ever having been in one place. Perhaps, whatever it was that was making her jump, ran out of juice or fixed itself. Maybe she would be stuck in this time for good. With the thought of being anywhere for ever, Julie's mind found its way back to thinking about Kevin and if he would be able to find her now.

Despite being displaced in time, she was really starting to enjoy the work, and Edith, though a workhorse, was amusing to work with. “Julie, darling, would you mind grabbing me something to eat. Make sure you get something for yourself as well.” Julie nodded and found her way to Kraft Services to pick up two sandwiches.

“Hello Tommy,” Julie called out as she saw taking a break, eating his lunch, a copy of Nineteen Eight-Four in his hands. She glanced at the book in his hands, she smiled to herself, she couldn't help it, she would be born six years after that book would have taken place, yet here she was twenty-four years before that date. All the way back to the wardrobe area Julie thought about growing up and what she liked to do. Her mind tugged at something like it wanted her to remember something but she couldn't put her finger on it.

“You look a million miles away.” Edith told her as she took her sandwich out of Julie's hands. “You thinking about that Tommy boy? I've seen the way he looks at you.” Edith smiled knowingly at Julie before going back to pinning an outfit on one of the girls for the next scene.

Julie shrugged off her comment. Tommy had even asked her to have dinner with him once they were finished filming. She liked Tommy, thought he was good looking, but, even though she'd been around for almost a complete two months she still feared jumping. She'd given up hope of seeing Jeff, her boyfriend again, but she did not need to leave broken hearts behind while she tried to get back to the future.

“Back to the future!” she exclaimed to herself. That is what her mind was trying desperately for her to remember. She watched the movies growing up and remembered the first one came out right around 1984. She recently watched the movies during one a marathon she and her boyfriend had shortly before the explosion. She started thinking about the time travel series, didn't Doc Brown contact Marty after he'd been hurled into the past? He wrote a letter to be delivered a specific date and time.

She could write Kevin a letter letting him know where she was so that he could find her. Thrilled by her new idea it was hard for her to concentrate for the rest of the day. She could only hope the postal service would be curious enough about her letter to deliver sixty years into the future.

 

Chapter 4 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Will it work? Will he come?

Julie glanced down at her watch (she was able to obtain a new on since it was necessity for work) and tapped her feet with impatience as the line at the post office was moving at a snail's pace. She managed to get the letter written the night before and asked Meg to let Edith know she would be at the post office. The first scene wasn't scheduled to start filming until around lunchtime, and with the way the sky looked, she wasn't sure it would even start then either. She doubted Edith would be swamped at least until it cleared it up, if it cleared up.

'I'm getting attached,' Julie reprimanded herself. She shook her head, knowing that if and when she finally left this time she would sorely miss the friends and colleagues she had. It was not the first time she attached herself to a group. She lived for almost a month in a small farming community a few years before the dust bowl. The family that was kind enough to take her in had a little girl that Julie couldn't help but love. It just about broke her heart when she jumped from that time period.

Hungry for any information on the family, mostly the little girl she left behind; Julie looked for information about them when she was able. She was about to give up when she stumbled on an article about the little girl. The girl was found dead in a creek near the property. The article had statements from her family saying she must have slipped while she was out looking for the lady that had bunked with them briefly and left suddenly without word. Reading this did break Julie's heart and she swore to never get attached again.

She fought the tears back as the line moved forward. She was next in line, the last thing she needed was to be an emotional mess when submitting her unusual request.

“Next,” A sweet woman's voice called out. “What can I do for you?” She asked when Julie approached the counter.

“My friend and I have a bet going on and you could really help me out,” Julie started, hoping this woman would go along. “I bet him that in sixty years he would still be alive. He's been reading all these crazy end of the world theories. Pure science fiction I've told him. Anyway, as kind of a prank on him, the future him, I want to mail a letter to him sixty years in the future. To kind of rub it in his face.”

“Sounds fun,” The woman said. “One question, how will you know where he will be?”

“Well, I don't for sure,” Julie hoped this would work. “but his parents own a hotel in Denver, Colorado. I have a feeling it will be around.” she winked at the woman.

“Well, it sounds kind of crazy, but what the heck. We need a bit of fun in the world, and I'm in such a good mood today I can't deny your fun,” She took Julie's letter addressed to the Brown Palace hotel in Denver Colorado, room 438, to be delivered April 17, 2020.

Julie ran all the way back to the set, hoping that this scheme would work. She had her doubts, but she felt better being pro-active in her rescue instead of just sitting around waiting to be saved as if she were a damsel in distress. It wasn't an incredibly busy day getting actors ready since the sky was still gray and the threat of rain still hung in the air. Julie was still very busy though. She spent most of her time pressing the clothes and making sure they were clean of any lint and that the seams were still holding.

She just finished fixing the seam on a bathing suit and was hanging it up when a male voice startled her. “That suit would look great on you.”

“Tommy, what kind of comment is that to make to a lady?” Julie questioned as she turned around expecting to see Tommy's goofy grin behind her. Instead she saw the tall dark-haired man she hoped to see standing behind her with a playful grin, his deep green eyes sparkling with jest.

“Who's Tommy?” Kevin asked her.

Julie didn't know the man well, she wanted to hug him again, but he wasn't sure how he would take that. “He's a boy I met here.” Was all the information she would give him. Who knew, he might have had some kind of technology to wipe the memories of the people he ran into while he traveled to make sure nobody remembered him. “You found me,” She added beaming at him.

“How did you convince the post office?” He held out the envelope she had mailed that morning. The envelope yellowed with age caused Julie to grin even larger, her cheeks sore from grinning so much.

“You got it!” She grabbed hold of the envelope and pulled out the letter, reading the familiar words she wrote the night before. “There was a really nice woman who was having a great day and I convinced her it would be fun to send my friend a letter when he was an old man.” She chuckled and hugged the letter. “When did you get it?”

“Well that's a funny story. You disappeared and I was getting ready to go back to my time to a place we call The Library to try to research more about where you could have gone when I got a knock on the door. The bellhop apologized and told me a story about how a letter had been delivered to them that morning but no one thought it could be for real since the postage was the incorrect amount and it looked old. He managed to catch up with the person who delivered it and they told him that they'd been holding onto it for the last sixty years and now it was delivered. Whether the recipient was there or not was not their concern, their job was done. He continue to tell me that he was curious and had to know if the person in room 438 knew anything about this old letter. Imagine his surprise when I told him it was the very thing I needed and thanked him with an extremely generous tip, if I say so myself.”

“But how could you have known it was from me before you read it?” Julie asked confused. Did this time traveling man also come from a time that psychic powers are commonplace?

“I didn't,” He stated simply.

“Well then why?” She asked.

Kevin cocked his head to the side and smirked at her playfully again. “I can't go giving away the reason behind everything, how would I remain the mysterious stranger who came to rescue you?”

Julie rolled her eyes and turned back to the clothing rack sifting through to see if any other outfits needed fixing. “What are you doing?” Kevin asked as he watched her pull at a seam.

“What does it look like? I'm working,” She replied briskly taking the item to her work corner to fix the seam after she determined she did not like the way it was pulling.

“I thought, after that letter, don't you want to go home? Isn't that why you took a chance?” He followed her and leaned against the wall watching her as she concentrated on her stitching.

Julie relaxed and let her hands drop in her lap, still holding the material and needle. “I can't leave them in a bind. If I don't fix these, Edith will have to not only fix the items but get everyone ready for their scenes. I feel obligated to help them, they helped me.”

Kevin squatted in front of her and took her hand still clutching the outfit and looked her in the eyes. “You have no control over when you will leave. What happens if you leave suddenly again and you end up unable to send me a message? I am here now, tell me what I need to know so that none of this will have happened.”

“Julie?” a voice called through the racks.

“Yes.” she called out her reply to the other voice, holding Kevin's eye contact. It wasn't long before Edith appeared, looking prim in her usual skirt, matching jacket combo, today they were both a deep purple. The jacket draped over her shoulders in her usual fashion. “Edith?” Julie questioned the older woman's appearance, dropping both Kevin's hand and eye contact to stand and find out what she was needed for.

Edith looked from Julie to the man slowly rising from the floor and then back to Julie. “Am I interrupting?” She placed her hand on her hip and waited for the response.

“No ma'am.” Julie responded quickly. “Is there anything I can help you with?”

Edith deftly removed her jacket and hung it on the back of a nearby chair. She took the clothing item Julie held and looked over the stitch work that had already been completed. “Why are you working when it's obvious that stud has come to see you?” Edith winked at Julie. Julie could feel her cheeks turn crimson at the lady's assumption.

“It's not like that,” Julie protested.

“Julie, you have been a blessing the last two months. I don't know what I would have done without you,” Edith admitted before moving closer and continuing in a whisper. “I called the agency to thank them for a wonderful assistant and wouldn't you know, they've never heard of you. In fact, they apologized as the girl they did send out to me ended up getting ill and wasn't able to make it.”

Julie started to pull back; maybe it was time to leave after all, her cover was blown. She tried to move away but Edith had a death grip on her arm. “I can explain,” She started to speak.

“Hun, let me finish,” Edith relaxed her grip sensing it was causing Julie unease. “I don't know where you came from, but it was providential that you did show up. I don't care how you got here, I am just glad you were.” She moved close to Julie and whispered, “If you need 'anything' you let me know.” She looked at Julie over the rim of her glasses, her eyes quickly flicking to Kevin before holding her gaze again.

“Edith, this is my friend Kevin,” Julie introduced the two strangers feeling her cheeks burn from embarrassment. She knew enough about Edith to know what she was hinting at. “He was visiting the Islands and heard I was here.”

“This tall drink of water is only a friend?” Edith took Kevin's hand and Julie watched as he brought Edith's hand to his lips and kissed it lightly.

Julie shook her head at the scene in front of her. If Edith only knew the man kissing her hand would not be born for probably another thirty or so years. “I am almost finished fixing all of the items that you asked me to fix.”

Edith looked back at Julie, then down at the outfit in her hands. “They've closed set today and it's been a long time since I've practiced my stitching and he's come all this way to visit. You go ahead, I can handle this.” Edith pushed Julie towards Kevin. Julie could feel Edith's eyes on her as she and Kevin left.

“She's a trip,” Kevin remarked when they were out of earshot.

“She's made being here worth it.” Julie smiled remembering the many conversations she'd had with Edith when they weren't busy getting actors and extras ready for set.

“Let's go somewhere to talk.” Kevin grabbed her elbow and steered her towards a building on the edge of the beach.

Chapter 5 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Julie gets more information, and look who makes an appearance.

Kevin pulled out his wallet and managed to produce the correct currency as he paid for a room; Julie stood to the side and watched, avoiding the stares the man behind the counter was giving her. The hotel was moderately nicer than the one she was staying in with the rest of the crew. There was nothing unique about the hotel. It looked, to Julie, like every other hotel she'd seen growing up in her childhood. When they went into the room, she smiled at the two beds; she would not have to share.

As if sensing what she was thinking, Kevin broke through her thoughts. “We are not here to sleep.” He sat down on the edge of one of the beds and patted the spot next to him. “Now tell me what I need to know.”

Julie sat on the second bed and scooted back, propping the pillows against the headboard she leaned against them and crossed her legs, staring down Kevin. “I want to know something first, I've been wondering it for the last two months. If you find all of the lost from the explosion, wouldn't that mess with time? What reason would you have to go back and look for people if no one is missing? If no one is missing, what spurs the people to finish the device to look for them? It doesn't seem to me that you can just reverse what happened without serious consequences. Besides, what will stop me from jumping again if you did take me back? And how would that work, you taking me home? Would you move through time holding me? If that's the case, why can't you keep me from jumping now or anytime? And, finally, why did you volunteer for this anyway?”
“You've been wondering all of that?” Kevin asked with a perplexed look.

“Yah, well Meg kicks.” Was he only explanation Julie was going to provide about why she had enough time to wonder such things.

“I actually have some answers for you. I can't keep you from jumping, we would have to visit my boss. There is a device he can install. It will force the DNA causing the jumps to hibernate. I am not sure about the technicalities about how he does that, so don't ask. To get you there, you will piggyback my jump. But that will happen once you tell me where you jumped to first.” Kevin looked at her and cocked his head. “Are you ready to tell me?” He asked as he moved to the bed she was sitting on.

“I want to go home, I really do, it's just...” She paused and grabbed hold of her hair playing with it nervously.

“Just what?” Kevin asked moving closer, he meant it to be comforting but it was immediately apparent that it did not have the effect he was intending.

Julie jumped up as if she'd just remembered something and ran into the bathroom. “I'm not doing anything until I've had a shower.” She locked the door and started to run water.

Kevin banged on the door. “Why did you reach out to me if you were going to be like this?”

The banging continued for another few seconds before she could hear Kevin speaking again, softer this time. “I'm going to get something to drink, we need to finish our discussion.”

Julie listened at the door until she heard the room door open and close. Keeping the water on, she sat on the floor next to the shower. “What is going on in your head Julie?” She questioned herself out loud. “Two months ago you cried yourself into a coma on the beach because you missed your chance to go home, now you have the chance back and you are running from the man that could help you?”

Unable to come up with a reason, Julie peeled her clothes off and got under the running water hoping the heat and steam would help her think. Faces of people she met briefly flew through her mind. She knew then, even with all the memories of almost dying and the memory of that little girl, she did not want to forget the people she'd met and the few positive experiences she'd had.

By the time she was dressed and drying her hair with a towel, she heard the room door open and close again. She expected Kevin to come back to the bathroom door and knock or something. The silence in the room grew, unable to take it, Julie flung open the door. “I want to go back now, but I have a condition.” She exclaimed, startled when she saw a younger blond man sitting on one of the beds.

Julie screamed before running back in the bathroom and locking the door.

“Julie, wait, I'm sorry. I should have said something to introduce myself.” She heard the voice on the other side. “I'm Nick Carter. I work with Kevin, he asked me to come and help with a particularly difficult displacement.”

“He called me that?” Julie questioned, a bit hurt Kevin would refer to her as difficult, even though she was being difficult.

“Don't feel bad, he calls me difficult every other day.” Nick laughed. She could hear the laughter move further away from the door. Still unsure, but with no where else to go, she opened the door and moved into the main room.

“How did he... how did he contact you?” Julie doubted they sent letters through the mail like she'd done.

Nick held up his wrist. “Would you believe we have inter-time communicators?”

“I'm working on the set of Blue Hawaii in the year 1960, thirty years before I was born, I would believe almost anything.” She leaned up against the dresser. “So what, you are the negotiator? The one brought in for us difficult displacements?”

The blond laughed and leaned back on his arms, reclining. “No, Kevin brought me in because,” He paused and smirked at Julie, his blue eyes bright. “I have a way with women.”

Julie crossed her arms and eyed the young man suspiciously. “That can't be the reason.” She laughed.

Nick shrugged at her comment. “He told me time is limited with you, you don't know when you will jump or how long you will be anywhere. He believes you might jump soon and wants to ensure he has the information he needs. Tell me and I'll make sure he gets the information.” He stood and took hold of both of her hands. “Trust me, it would be better this way.” He held eye contact with her for only a few seconds but the intensity behind his stare made it feel like a few minutes to Julie.

“Tag teaming me isn't very nice.” Julie pulled her hands away from Nick and ended the eye contact. “I want to wait for Kevin,” she stated with certainty. “He started this with me, and I'd like him to be the one to help me reach home.” She opened the hotel room door and motioned for him to leave.

“Why can't you just tell me? I told you I'd let Kevin know. I'm on my way to meet him now, I could just pass that information off and 'poof' he'll be off to get you when you first jumped.” He stood in the door, his arm resting on Julie's shoulder, massaging it slightly. “This nightmare would be over.” He smirked at Julie again.

“I'll wait.” She pulled Nick's hand off her shoulder and started to shut the door. “Just tell Kevin I'm ready to talk,” were the last words she gave Nick before closing the door and locking the deadbolt.

He said his final statement through the door, making sure she would hear it. “You are fucking with history Julie, you need to go home.”

Julie stood at the door until she heard Nick's footsteps walking away from the door. She undid the deadbolt and moved back to the bed, taking a seat. Julie couldn't believe the harshness in Nick's voice with his final statement to her. She was glad that Kevin was the one to initially find her and not him, she preferred Kevin's calm demeanor over Nick's brash words.

It wasn't too long before she heard footsteps approaching the room and someone grabbing hold of the doorknob. Before the person on the other side had a chance to open the door, Julie flung it open. “Kevin,” She stated and pulled him inside. “I'm ready to make a deal.”

“Deal?” He looked at her quizzically. “This isn't a game show.”

“I know, but I freaked out because I don't want to forget all the things I've done since I started jumping. People I've met, I don't want to forget them.” She said it plainly she hoped he would understand, she hadn't realized it until this jump, but there were some things she never wanted to forget.

“I'll have to check,” He moved to leave the room.

“Can't you just use your inter-time communicator?” She asked.

“My what?” Kevin looked at Julie confused, but his face soon turned to horror as Julie keeled over on the floor. The pain was intense, more intense then she'd ever felt before. Maybe it was because she'd been in this time for so much longer then she'd been anytime before.

“Kevin!” She called out, reaching out for him. The last thing she remembered feeling was Kevin wrapping his arms tightly around her, but it was too late. She jumped, again.

 

Chapter 6 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

 Is this the final stop? Even in the future Howie can't stop winking.

 

Julie refused to just lie down and cry as she had with her last jump. She was upset with herself for not realizing what she wanted when she had Kevin in the room the first time, but nothing could be done about that now, there was no use dwelling on the past.

“Damn tourists,” a woman grouched at Julie after running into her. It was after this that Julie realized she was in the middle of a very busy sidewalk. Pushing her way through the crowd she managed to find a bench near the street. She took a seat and looked around her; attempting to get a bearing of what time she was in. Tall buildings surrounded her on all sides, people walked in every direction to get into the buildings. Streets were crammed full of cars she'd never seen before, a small laugh escaped her lips when she saw the 'new' Volkswagen Beetle drive by with collectors plates.

She knew she was in the future, but how far? Instinctively she looked around for a newspaper stand when she remember that newspapers were a thing of the past in the year 2020 and she had to be further in the future than that. She spied a Starbucks across the street. 'They are still around? They must have something,' she thought to herself as she stood and walked through the cars that were sitting at a standstill for the red light in front of her.

The pleasant aroma of coffee greeted her as she entered the building. There was a moderately long line of people waiting to give their orders to the barista. Julie sneaked behind the people and found a table with what looked like a more advanced Newstop. She sat down and looked it over, hoping it would be fairly simple to figure out. She sighed with relief when she noticed the screen saver gave the date, time and year; August 25, 2045.

She sat staring at the screen, there would be no way to get a message to Kevin in the past, but if they research her, perhaps she would be able to research him. After all, if she remembered correctly, it was fifteen years in his future; she should be able to find him. She messed around on the touch screen, ignoring her stomach growling in hunger, until she found the internet browser.

She didn't know a whole lot about the man sent to help her, but she put the information she did have into a search engine. 'Kevin Richardson + time travel'. She doubted she would receive any information back, time travel would surely be kept secret. She received several sites with information about various Kevin Richardsons with the words time and travel scattered through the article. Nothing in her search brought any information that would be useful. Frustrated, she cleared out the search and tried another. 'Kevin Richardson + The Library'. It was the only other bit of information she was given by Kevin. She scrolled through pages referring to a nature photographer of the same name and how to find his books in the library, nothing that would help her. She was about to give up a description of a website caught her eye. '...information kept in this library … denied by Mr. Richardson... hiding Kevin, and we will know...'

Julie almost let out a squeal as she clicked on the site. It was a conspiracy theory website, the kind that thinks the government is hiding alien contact from the public. Julie flipped through pages of several different theories, scanning anything mentioning Kevin. She finally found something under the title 'Time is NO Longer Safe.'

'Yes, that's right people. Time is no longer safe. You think past is passed, that you should move past it and look to the future. It's been discovered that not even our pasts are safe. A secret non-governmental agency has been linked to several changes in our past. This site has had several claims of shadow memories, people remember events how they were to have happened originally. The only way to prove our claims is to visit the large building in the middle of Malcom Ave. right here in Westwood. Our source says this building has histories we are not aware of because they've been changed. All of the information in this library is somehow protected from the changes being made, so it is a true record of Earth's past. A spokesperson for the building was asked about this and everything was denied by Mr. Richardson. We know what you are hiding Kevin and we will know the truth!'

Thrilled with the information she just read, Julie left the Starbucks and started walking down the street. It wasn't long before she stopped and asked herself, 'Am I even in LA?'

“Excuse me,” Julie stopped a random person. She mentally crossed her fingers and asked. “How do I get to The Library on 103rd Blvd?”

The man stopped and held his finger up to Julie. “Yes, I should be there in thirty minutes. See you then.” The brown eyed man pushed a button in his ear then turned back to Julie, she noticed his eyes widen slightly when he looked towards her. “If you turn left at the next street and walk straight for another four blocks you should be there.” He smiled.

“Thanks,” Julie responded and started in the direction the man sent her. 'Does everyone know about this “secret” building?' She wondered to herself as she continued walking in the direction the man directed her in.

The street she turned onto was barren compared to the street she just left, Julie took a deep breath finally able to walk freely without fear of bumping into someone. It didn't take her long to feel like someone was following her. She shook the feeling off, there were still plenty of people around her and nobody knew her, she didn't have a purse, why would someone follow her? Still feeling someone behind her, she turned to see several people walking in the same direction as her.

“Don't be paranoid Julie,” She told herself as she turned back around and continued walking. It was barely thirty minutes later when she found herself standing in front of a large building that looked like a library. She found it difficult to move. What if this wasn't the place? What if Kevin wasn't here and she couldn't find him before he left?

“Just go in Julie,” a voice behind her startled her enough that she was sure she jumped a foot into the air. She turned to see the man who had given her directions standing behind her.

“Who are you?” She asked, why did everyone know her name?

The man broke into a cheesy grin and held his arm out to her. “You will find your answers up there,” he knocked his head towards the building. “Kevin is there.” He winked at her realizing she wasn't going to take his arm, started up the stairs without her.

“What the hell is going on?” She yelled out after him. She wasn't going to get answers staring at the bottom of the stairs. Taking the 1960's heels off, she jogged up the stairs and found the man waiting for her at the top. “What is going on? How do you know me? How do you know who I'm looking for?”

“Let's go in,” He pressed his palm to a pad next to the door. Julie watched as it scanned his hand, a click sounding on the door. He held the door for her. Why did everyone she meet associated with this place insist on being secretive? She took a deep breath and entered the building.

Her eyes adjusted to the dim light fairly quickly, it didn't take her long to realize she was standing inside a library. She could see what looked like a card catalog, a bank of computers, what appeared to be a circulation desk and a few tables with lamps. She did not see any books though. She didn't see any other person either. She turned to the man. “I thought you said...”

“He's upstairs,” the man interrupted and pointed to a flight of stairs behind the last row of computers.

Julie watched the man as she made her way to the stairs. She took them two at time. She expected Kevin to be standing at the top of the stairs waiting for her, but all she saw were books and more tables with lamps. “Kevin?” She called out softly, her mom always told her to be quiet in a library.

She walked a few more steps and called out his name again, louder this time. “I'm in the 1680's.” She heard his voice call back.

“What the hell does that mean?” She yelled back. It wasn't long before she saw Kevin emerge from a shelves towards the middle of the floor. His head was looking down at a book he was carrying in his hands.

“You should...” He looked up and appeared startled to see her standing there. “Julie?” He questioned.

“Has it been that long that you don't remember me?” She laughed, relieved to find a familiar face, looking older, but familiar. She moved closer to him breathing easier.

“I just... I wasn't....how?” He questioned her as he set the still open book on a nearby table and pulled a chair out for her. He then seemed to notice her clothes. “1960?” He asked as he took his own seat.

Julie nodded and set the shoes on the table. “I've been here for a couple of hours. You can't imagine how relieved I was to be able to find you.”

“How did you get in here?” He asked.

“A guy I met on the street gave me directions and then let me in,” Julie shrugged with a smile. “You all like to stay mysterious don't you?”

Kevin looked down at his watch and back to Julie, “I believe you just met Dr. Dorough. He was supposed to meet me here.” They sat in silence for a minute, Kevin looking unsure about what to do next.

“I wanna go home.” She blurted out. “I need to get this out before I jump again. Take me home.”

“But...” He paused and looked at his hands then back to Julie. “if I remember correctly you wanted to make a deal.”

Julie nodded. “Yes, and I still do. I want to go home, I want to stop jumping through time, but I don't want to tell you when my first jump was. I want to go home as I am now, with all my memories, good and bad.”

“You realize that we have to convince Howie, Dr. Dorough, to allow this. If you go back you will have memories of any future dates you visited. We can't let you loose with that kind of knowledge.” Kevin looked at her, his eyes seemed sad.

“Do you think I have the lotto numbers and am going to make myself rich?” she laughed.

“No, but you might accidentally leak knowledge.”

“Kevin, that night in the diner and your hotel room was the longest I have ever been in a future date. That's why I want to get this going quickly, I always seem to jump faster when I'm in the future.” She stood and grabbed her shoes. “I am going to look for the Dr. if that's who I need to convince.”

“No need to go far,” Howie's voice came from the stairs. “Come to the lab, let's get the fear of jumping randomly taken care of and then we will talk about you keeping your memories.”

Howie, Kevin and Julie moved into a room at the back of the library area. This was definitely a lab, high tech computers adorned the tables. Against the walls there were different screens with different read outs that Julie had no clue what they meant. A lone table towards the back held the lone microscope and a few empty vials. Julie could see a refrigerator case next to the table full of vials, some blood red, others clear.

“Take a seat,” Howie directed her as he pulled a stool out from under the lab table. He moved towards the refrigerator and pulled a key out, unlocking the case. He carefully selected a vial of the clear liquid. Kevin handed him a syringe and Julie watched as the Dr. filled the syringe with the liquid.

“Relax your arm,” Howie said when he turned to her.

“What does that do?” She asked, a little afraid of being injected with some strange liquid from a man in the future who was claiming to help her.

“Without getting too complicated, the explosion forced the chemical compound that was being tested into your lungs where it fused with your DNA. This here,” He wiggled the syringe “immobilizes that part of your DNA.”

“Okay, but what is it? Is it radiation? Is it another chemical? For all I know you could be injecting me with Windex.” She looked around at the two men standing in the room with her.

“Don't be silly,” Howie took hold of her arm and pushed the needle into the skin, forcing the plunger down with his thumb. Julie could feel a coldness start from the point of injection and spread through her body. The room started to get dark very quickly and her world closed in on her. “Windex is blue.”

 

Chapter 7 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

She's going home, does she want to?

She could feel her eyes sticking together as she attempted to open them. Through the slit of the eye she'd managed to open, she saw a bright room with machines around her. The blipping noise next to her made her recall trips to the hospital to visit her mother after her heart surgery. As she pried her eyes open more she could see a dark figure standing in the corner of the room, shoulders slumped, speaking in low tones, probably on a phone.

“I said I would … got crazy …. unexpected … why didn't you tell.” Were the only words Julie was able to make out. As her vision cleared she could tell the figure was Kevin. Who was he talking to on the phone? She knew that she didn't know anything about him, but now it was bothering her. Curiosity got the better of her and she lay unmoving trying to hear more of the conversation so she could get a sense of who he was talking to. His whispering was starting to annoy her, she wanted him to speak up.

“Love you, bye.” She heard him say, her heart jumping suddenly in her chest. Quickly she closed her eyes again. She heard footsteps come closer to the bed until she could sense that he was standing over her. She continued to lie still hoping he would think she was asleep.

“You can open your eyes and stop pretending now Julie.” His voice was serious but when Julie opened her eyes she saw him smiling.

“How'd you know I wasn't really asleep?” She asked him while she sat up.

Helping her prop the pillows behind her, Kevin answered. “You were lying still. You flail around when you sleep. I hope you don't share a bed with someone, you could really hurt them.”

“I do not flail!” She cried indignantly. She was about to lay into him about watching her sleep in the first place when she felt his hand on her cheek, his thumb running up and down her cheek lightly. She could feel the heat rise in her cheeks and her heart felt like it was jumping in her chest with every beat.

“I'm sorry, that was...” He dropped his hand and started to step away from the bed. Julie caught his arm and pulled him back to face her. They stayed like that, watching each other, Julie's hand on his arm, until they heard the door start to open. They hoped that Howie wouldn't be able to notice anything when he walked in but Julie knew her face was still red, there was no way he didn't know something happened between them.

Howie looked at Julie then to Kevin. “Kevin,” He started but Kevin stopped him by shaking his head and leaving the room. Howie turned his attention back to Julie.

“So how is my patient this morning?” He winked at Julie as he checked the readouts on the different machines.

“You could have told me that it was going to knock me out.” She watched as he moved about the room doing whatever it was he was doing.

“Different people have different reactions.” He smiled. “I remember the first person I injected with the serum got a little violent, AJ sported a black eye for a couple of weeks after that.” Howie laughed in remembrance.

“Is he another volunteer?” Julie asked. Howie looked back to her and nodded, something in his eyes made her move on. “So, did it work?”

His nod was more enthusiastic this time. “The readings are great, you shouldn't randomly jump any longer.”

“Doctor, is the chemical gone for good?” She wondered half to herself.

“No,” Howie answered. “The serum only forces it into hibernation. You will always have the time travel gene.” He clicked his pen and jotted a few notes down on the clipboard in front of him.

“Is there anything that might trigger the gene to become active again?” She asked. There was no way she wanted to start randomly visiting different eras again.

“I doubt you would be able to find the right combination of factors to have it happen again. Now let's see about you getting you home.” He smiled. Julie liked his smile, it was warm and inviting, making her feel comfortable.

“I don't suppose I could stay here?” She asked, knowing what the answer would be. She didn't belong in this time, her time was 2012 and she was positive that was the only time they would let her return to. Besides, what would be worth her staying? The only person she knew had his own life that she wasn't a part of. “No,” she answered her question. “I should go back to my own time. But I want to keep my memories.”

He looked up from his clipboard and smiled, his brown eyes twinkling. She noticed the patches of gray hair in his otherwise black tresses and wondered how old he was and how long he'd been doing this. She also wondered how old he would be when she went back to her own time. She shook her head at her own thoughts, best not to think about a gangly ten-year-old boy. “I have no real issue with sending you back with your memories. The only thing I ask is you keep them to yourself. It will be difficult, after all it was your life for the last five years. As long as you are okay with actually being five years older than people think you are, and you don't mention anything you saw or heard to anyone I think we can make an exception.”

“I was under the impression convincing you would be difficult.” She said as she stood with his aid off of the bed. He only shrugged in response. “One more question, if I am back in 2012 what will spur you all to look for me in the first place?”

Howie looked at her seriously. “I've thought about this too when the founders started sending the volunteers to look for the lost. If there is no one to search for, why would the project be finished and ultimately you all wouldn't be found. The first job of the volunteers, before they could look for the missing, was to set up The Library. One of our own stayed back and has been helping spur on the project. The Library holds a record of everything that has happened how it originally happened. Those who came up with the time travel capabilities also were able to install a device in this building that would stand outside of time in a way, starting in the year 2012.”

Julie rubbed her head, she could feel a headache coming.

“It really is better not to think about it. I have a strong belief the project will continue even after you go home.” He ran his hands through his dark hair and looked at Julie still attached to the machines. “Let me get these off of you.” Julie cringed but did not make a noise as he pulled the tape off of her arm holding an IV attached to her quickly covering it with a cotton ball. Everything else slid off or had Velcro attaching it to her. She held the cotton ball in place as Howie covered it with a band-aid.

The two of them moved out of the room, the sight of Kevin waiting outside the door made her jump slightly.

“So Howie, is she...? he asked.

“She will be fine and I've agreed to send her home with her memories.” Howie placed his hand on the taller man's shoulder.

Unable to look anywhere but at Kevin, it looked, to her, as if he was relieved being told she was going home. “Sick of me already?” She joked.

Kevin smirked. “Glad to finally complete my mission.” His smirk grew into a grin. “I do get to complete it?” He looked at Howie as if asking permission.

“I suppose it would be alright for you to return her home. She was your case after all. Just remember...”

“I know!” Kevin jerked his head towards the doctor. The sternness in his voice caused Julie to jump back. Howie held up his hands in surrender and then placed both of his hands on the other man's shoulders.

“I know you Kevin, I know how it affected you ….”

“I know the rules Howie.” Kevin looked aged in a matter of seconds. He removed both of Howie's hands off of his shoulders and reached his hand out to Julie. “C'mon.”

She had to practically jog to keep up with him. “Slow down Kevin.” She begged. When he slowed his pace some she was able to catch up and walk next him. “What was that about?” She asked trying not to let her disappointment show when he released her hand.

“Nothing,” Kevin muttered shaking his head. “Let's get you home.”

Julie grabbed Kevin's arm and pulled him to a stop. It was strange to her to see this man aged fifteen years from the day before when she saw him last. His goatee was salt and pepper and she wondered if he dyed his hair to keep the gray from showing. Tiny wrinkles surrounded his eyes, he didn't look bad, just older. “What happened that day in 1960? I called for you, I felt you grab hold of me. I thought you said I would piggyback your jump, how come you couldn't piggyback mine?”

Kevin shook his head, she could see it was the only answer she was going to get. “Okay,” she continued. “So how is this going to work? Am I going to piggyback your jump?”

“We have a trigger to activate the gene, it also controls the year you travel to. We will set our information and then jump separately.” He turned and started walking again.

“Did you stop looking for me?” She blurted out. “After I jumped, did you stop looking for me?”

He ran his hands through his hair and turned back to her. “Never.” he whispered turning back with finality and entering a room at the end of the hall. Julie started after him and was soon standing in the same room with Kevin. He grabbed her hand and strapped a watch to her wrist. She watched as he messed with dial.

“I have programmed it with the correct year, you should find yourself in your own apartment. I got your address from the records.” He kept his face down, avoiding her gaze.

“That's it?” She asked.

He nodded and pressed a button on the side of her watch. The effect was instant, heat spread throughout her entire body, a pulling sensation in her stomach made her feel slightly nauseous. As a whole, the experience was by far an improvement from the stomach pain and nausea she was used to feeling.

When the feeling disappeared she looked around. She was standing in the living room of her apartment in Culver City, right outside of Los Angeles. “I'm home!” She trilled with joy throwing herself down on her couch and hugging a throw pillow. Seconds later Kevin appeared in her living room. “I'm home,” she repeated for him.

He nodded and smiled. “Case complete.” He moved back to her and removed the watch from her wrist. “Remember, no information leaks.” He smiled at her again slowly moving a strand of hair behind her hear, his hand lingering on her head. She felt herself leaning into his hand. “It's been interesting Julie, I hope you have a great life.” She watched as he fiddled with his watch, pushing the button for his jump back.

She watched as his body started to disappear in front of her. His mouth moving saying something that sounded like “Help him.” Before she could even look at him puzzled, he was gone from the room and her life.

End Notes:

This is my favorite chapter so far! :)

Chapter 8 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Julie's home and trying to resume life, with a surprise in store, what will she do?

Julie sat staring at the spot Kevin had just been standing for a few more minutes before she took a deep breath and relaxed. She wasn't sure she heard his final words correctly. She thought she heard “Help Him”, but had no idea what he could be referencing. She shook it off and looked around her living room. Five years away, it felt so good to be back in her place. She threw the pillow back on the couch and began to get reacquainted with her residence. She wandered through the kitchen, her breakfast dish from the morning of the explosion still sitting in the sink. She remembered thinking that she had plenty of time that day to get her dish washed and put away.

The message light on her phone was blinking red at her as she opened the refrigerator checking to see what food there was in the apartment. 'How would anyone know I was back,' her brain thought automatically. She forced herself to correct her thinking; to them they will never know she was gone. She picked up the receiver, entering the voice mail number that was plastered on the fridge. It was a good thing she could never remember it and had posted it in plain view. She turned the phone on speaker as she ran her fingers along her cheap dishes that she'd hated so much before. Now they gave her a sense of familiarity.

“Julie.” She recognized her mother's voice instantly. “Hun, I want to remind you about your cousin's wedding this weekend. You and Jeff need to arrive at ten o'clock to help with the final arrangements. Call me when you get this.” The phone clicked as her message ended. Her cousin's wedding, she'd forgotten that she'd missed it. Now she would actually get to attend.

The next message started to play; it was her mom's voice again. “I forgot to remind you that Staci needs someone to watch her cats while she is on her honeymoon. I thought of you, since you are alone in that place, having a pet, even for a little while, might be nice. I will talk to you later.'

Julie laughed at remembering her mother's insistence that she get a cat or a dog, pushing for a dog, since she announced she and Jeff were not going to be living together when she first moved into this place. It was good to hear her mother's voice again. How she mourned not being able to speak to her mom after she jumped. She made a mental note to call her after getting situated.

“Julie?” the next voice came through with urgency. “Julie, if you are there please pick up.” The male voice added. Julie paused for a moment to remember who it was calling. Her heart dropped as she realized the male voice she was hearing was Jeff's. “Julie, when you get this please call me. I heard about the explosion at the physics lab and knew you planned to be there. Please, please be alright.” She could hear him breathing on the other end not wanting to put the phone down in case something had happened to her. If he only knew.

Eventually she heard the phone click. She received three more calls from friends, another from her cousin, three more from her mother and another from Jeff. She glanced at the clock and tried to remember what time she's planned to be at the lab, what time the explosion happened. She decided to turn on the news to find out the information before calling people back. Better to have a story down straight first.

“Again, we are standing on the UCLA campus; the building behind me is Knudsen Hall, you can just see the wreckage that was the Physics and Astronomy building. The only information we have is that one of the experiments in the building was using a highly combustible chemical. The spokesperson for the school was not available for comment. We have received word, however, that forty-five students were in or around the building and are currently missing. Firefighters and rescue workers have been at work since it happened trying to find survivors.”

Julie turned off the television and sat staring at the blank screen. Forty-five missing persons, forty-five people displaced in time. She heard the phone start to ring again and even though she knew it would be torture for the person on the other end, she let the voice mail get it. She needed to eat and change her clothes and prepare herself for the onslaught from concerned family and friends.

She took her time walking to her bedroom, running her fingertips along the wall as she walked. When she reached her room, she smiled as she saw her own bed, sheets still strewn across the bed. She moved to the closet and thew open the doors. She randomly picked a shirt and pair of pants to wear and changed quickly, she was amazed that the clothes still fit. It was tempting to lay down on her bed but her stomach growled and she could hear the phone ringing again.

She grabbed a banana from the basket as she found her way back into the kitchen. The banana was gone in three bites, Julie picked up the phone and scrolled through caller ID to get the numbers she would need. After jotting down the numbers she needed, Julie decided it would be best if she called her mother back first.

“Julie,” Her mother practically screamed into the phone after only one ring.

“Hi Mom,” She responded smiling. “I got your messages. I am fine. I forgot my purse at home and had to turn around. By the time I got to the building the explosion had already happened. It was a zoo and the police wanted anyone who was in the area to give statements in case someone saw something that another person did not.” She rushed out her story unless she forgot.

“Why didn't you call me on your cell?” Her mom asked, less concerned and more irritated.

Her cell phone was surely destroyed in the blast but it's not like she could tell her mom that. “I dropped it in the toilet last night.”

“Julie, really?” Her mom laughed slightly.

“I know mom, I should get off the phone when I use the restroom, but Jeff and I were in an intense conversation and I didn't want to disrupt.” She could not believe she was saying this. It was a pet peeve of hers when people went to the bathroom when she was on the phone with them and here she was saying it was exactly what she did to her boyfriend. Better to be a hypocrite about the phone in the bathroom than to tell the truth that the phone blew up in the lab after she was shot through time.

It was amazing how quickly her mom went to concerned to irritated to jumping to conclusions. “You and Jeff were having an intense conversation? What was it about?”

“Mom...” Julie groaned.

“I'm sorry, I know I promised I would stop pestering you about Jeff. Will you and Jeff be able to meet with me for dinner?” Julie racked her brain trying to remember if she had already made plans for the evening or not.

“I'll talk to Jeff, this whole thing at the school has scrambled my brain. I can't remember if we have plans already.” She and her mom about small things for another few minutes before she told her mom she should probably call Jeff to let him know that she was okay.

She dialed Jeff's number and prepared herself. She remembered loving Jeff, but she wasn't sure, after all that had happened, that she was going to be able to pretend as if nothing happened with him.

“Hi Jeff,” She started.

“Julie, oh thank God!” Jeff sighed into the phone. She launched into her explanation she'd given her mother, using the excuse that she she'd set the phone on the counter in the bathroom and accidentally knocked it in the toilet. Why hadn't she thought of that when she was on the phone with her mother? “Are we still getting together for dinner tonight?”

“My mom was wondering if we wanted to have dinner with her.” Julie remarked.

“I can understand after today, but we made these plans a week ago and I was hoping we could be alone.”

“Of course,” Julie added. She wanted to try to resume life as it had been. Jeff was going to be a much needed source of normalcy. She got off the phone after he reminded her what time they were getting together. She called her mother back to let her know that she had plans already.

Julie took the rest of the afternoon to get reacquainted with her twenty-two year old self. She found pictures and realized she needed to do quite a bit to make herself look like she did. She visited the hair salon with a picture of herself and had her hair shortened and re-colored and her nails done. She visited a few clothing stores to get similar outfits, there were several items that she tried on earlier that didn't quite fit correctly anymore. When she got home she changed into an outfit fitting for dinner, she decided on a simple black dress, and waited for Jeff to pick her up.

“You look fantastic!” Jeff exclaimed as he kissed her in greeting. “You look a bit different, did you do something different to your hair?”

Julie shrugged and shut the door behind them. “I did get my hair done today, thanks for noticing.” She replied as they moved to his car. She glanced across the street while she waited for him to unlock the door. A man standing with what looked like a leash in his hand caught her eye. He looked familiar yet she was unable to see his face clearly.

“Coming Babe?” Jeff asked as he stood with his door open.

“Yes of course.” She entered the car. They drove in silence the restaurant. She wasn't sure what she should be talking with him about.

“You're being quiet.” Jeff mused when they reached the restaurant and took their seats.

“I think I'm still phased by what happened this morning.” She smiled at the dirty-blond, blue-eyed man sitting across from her. He returned the smile, his eyes twinkling. The look caught her by surprise and her thoughts flew to Kevin and the teasing look in his eyes.

“We've been together for a while now and today scared me, it made me realize that I can't live without you Julie.” Jeff moved his chair closer and started to dig around in his pocket. Julie's eyes widened as he pulled out a small box. “I'd been planning to do this after your cousin's wedding, but I just can't wait anymore. Julie, I love you, will you marry me?”

Chapter 9 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Life resumes, coffee is good, and my what blue eyes you have.

Julie sat on her bed that night, after Jeff left, staring at the ring on her finger. Feelings for Jeff came rushing back to her when he opened the box and asked her to marry him. She had no hesitation when she accepted, yet now, alone in her room, her thoughts settled on Kevin. His green eyes smiling in jest, the messy look his dark hair had when he came after she sent her letter, the gentleness of his touch before he left her for the final time.

“Stop it,” she quietly chastised herself. “He completed his mission, I am home. I will never see him again.” She threw her pajamas on and climbed into bed expecting to fall asleep fairly quickly but her mind would not let rest come. Her thoughts floated around Kevin's goodbye. The feeling she got when he touched her, she hated to admit that Jeff's touch never made her feel that way. Thinking of his departure brought back his final words. What did he mean 'Help him'? Who was it she was supposed to help?

Sleep refused to come as she dwelled on his final words. She sat up in bed and turned on the lamp next to her bed. If she remembered correctly, she always kept a pad of paper and pen in the top drawer of her nightstand. She opened the drawer and sure enough, a fresh pad of paper and brand new purple pen lay in the drawer. She jotted down everything her mind was pondering, hoping that if she wrote them down she could sleep and figure out what she would do, if she would do anything, about them tomorrow.

It must have helped because the next thing Julie remembered was her alarm buzzing. She slapped the alarm off and mentally kicked herself for not making sure it was turned off before she went to bed. Grabbing the notebook, she made her way downstairs to make herself coffee and look over what she wrote last night.

As the coffee brewed, Julie studied the notes she made in her notebook. She needed to know who the 'him' Kevin was referring to. She determined that it had to be someone in her own time, why would he give her instruction otherwise? She thought back to everything she learned while she was in the future. Maybe someone involved with the project in this time needed help. Julie thought it was her best bet and decided she would hunt down the students who were behind the time travel teleportation device.

The only other thing on her notepad was 'Tell Kevin'. She must have jotted that down right before she fell asleep. She stared at the note unable to figure out what she meant when she wrote it.

After filling her travel mug with the coffee, Julie exited the house and went to her car. “You never forget, right?” She questioned herself as she got behind the wheel. As she pulled out of the driveway, a car horn behind her blared causing Julie to jump into the air.

“Shit!” she exclaimed as she slammed on her brakes. Now, extra careful, Julie pulled out and drove as cautiously as she could. Her mind took over and it wasn't long before the routine of driving to campus every morning came back and she was able to find her way to the campus parking lot. It wasn't hard to find the Physics building as there were still news crews looking for a story and rescue workers moving rubble aside in hopes of finding somebody, anybody, in the mess.

“Isn't it tragic?” a female voice startled her.

“Horrible,” Julie agreed. The girl standing next to her was a petite brunette. A bag slung over her shoulder staring at the scene in front of them.

“Do you think they will find anyone?” her voice was soft giving Julie the chills, but not in a creepy way.

'No' her mind answered but she managed to shrug. “I hope so.”

“I was supposed to be there,” the young woman added. “I was planning to get together with my study group there. I remember getting ready and then I found myself waking up in my bed. Maybe I dreamed I got ready and since it felt so real, I overslept?”

Julie's eyes widened. Was this girl someone that was displaced? “I planned to be there that morning too. My name is Julie,” She offered her hand as she turned towards the girl.

“Mary,” the other responded “I should get going; I'm supposed to be meeting Charles, Brian and Patrick for coffee.”

Julie started to wonder why the girl gave her all the names of who she was meeting when the names hit her. Kevin spoke of a Mary and a Charles when he told her about the project. Mary was the first displaced person found and Charles was the name of one of the boys who worked on the project. Julie couldn't believe her luck. Without trying to look conspicuous, she started to follow Mary to the coffee shop.

When she arrived, Julie found a newspaper and sat near the door. She watched Mary sit with a group of guys and start pulling out notebooks. Mary sat next to the red-headed man; their shoulders touching intimately, the other two sat facing Julie's direction. The one with the dark brown hair looked like he'd just rolled out of bed that morning; his hair went every direction but flat. His clothes looked like he'd slept in them. He was busy chattering away to the others, obviously annoyed that Mary was ruffling the red-head's hair instead of listening. She turned her attention to the other man sitting at the table. Her heart jumped in her throat when she noticed that he was watching her.

Julie could feel the heat of his gaze as he continued to watch her. Even as she moved the newspaper in front of her again, she could still feel his gaze. Still feeling like he was watching her, she ventured to move the paper aside and check.

“I noticed you watching us,” The man, now standing in front of her spoke. “Is there something I can help you with?”

Julie looked up and into a pair of piercing blue eyes. He looked vaguely familiar but Julie was sure she'd never met him before. “I was just curious,” Julie threw out there hoping it would be enough of an explanation.

“Curious about?” The man asked taking a seat across from her.

“That girl,” Julie pointed to Mary. “She said she was supposed to be in the building that exploded. I work for the school paper; I thought I might be able to get an interview.” Julie made up.

The man smiled at her. “Nice try, but I work for the paper.”

“Fine, you got me,” Julie threw up her hands. “I'm a traveler through time and I was sent back to observe mating customs of the twenty-first century.” She laughed and looked at the table where Mary and the red-head were clearly going to be heading back to one of their rooms soon.

“Time traveler huh,” the man mused. “Perhaps I could interview you for the paper?” He laughed.

“I'm afraid I won't be able to speak much on the matter,” She stated matter-of-factly. This man made her feel at ease, she was starting to enjoy the conversation. “Sworn to secrecy and all.”

“Brian!” the guy with the messy dark hair called out to the man sitting with Julie. “Stop flirting, we are going to be late.” The other guy stood and was already out the door before Brian even looked up.

“Well I guess that's my cue.” He held out his hand. “Brian, nice to meet you That master of tact is Charles. I should get going before he gives everyone in this room more information than they need about my dating life.”

Julie took his hand and shook it lightly. “Julie, the pleasure was mine.” She grinned at him. He had given her the one piece of information she was after. She knew now who Charles was. She watched as the two headed back to campus, hoping she would be able to get an idea of where they were going so she could show up there. She had to get Charles alone.

“Hey,” Mary said standing in front of Julie. “Did you follow me?”

Julie nodded, there was no use denying it. “When you mentioned coffee I had a desire for some so I followed you here.”

Mary eyed her suspiciously, it was then Julie realized she hadn't bought a cup of coffee when she'd arrived. Her alibi was instantly blown. Mary didn't seem to notice though. “I saw you talking to Brian. Isn't he good looking?” Mary smiled and looked towards Patrick who was flipping through a notebook in his hands, oblivious to what Mary just said. “I think he's a little...” Mary held her hand limply in font of her. “...gay. It's a shame.”

Julie looked at her confused; she hadn't gotten that vibe from him at all. “What makes you say that?”

“He is always hanging around Charles, following him around. I think he has a slight crush on him. They don't work on any project together but Brian is always around watching Charles as he works. It's kind of creepy. He transferred here from USC this last semester and attached himself to Charles from the beginning.” Mary shrugged and took hold of Patrick's hand. “Well we should head out, class and all.” She waved at Julie with her fingertips and was gone.

Julie doubted Brian was gay, but she was curious as to why this guy who suddenly appeared was hanging around one of the founders of time travel. Julie looked at her watch, she had no idea what her schedule was anymore, and she figured she would get a copy of one off the student website that night. She would resume classes later; right now she wanted to find out who Brian was and what he wanted. She wasn't positive, but it was likely Charles was the 'him' mentioned by Kevin.

Chapter 10 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Julie tries to research his final message, then a volunteer comes back into her life.

After wandering campus attempting to find Charles, Julie stopped in the Powell Library across from the destroyed physics building to think. She pulled her notebook and pen out of her purse and sat staring through the windows towards the area outside. Unbeknownst to her, she started to tap her notebook with her pen, lost in thought about what to do next.

“Shh!” and angry sound came at her from behind. She sat up straight and stopped tapping her pen.

“Sorry,” she whispered to the angered person, not bothering to turn around. She avoided staring out the windows again, she started to think about what her next step could be. She needed to figure out the next step, she needed information. She sighed, she needed Kevin back to explain what he meant.

Julie started to look around the library. A bank of computers used for the card catalog were close by, all the computers seemed filled with students going about their school careers despite the rubble of building across the way. She grabbed her notebook and approached the desk with the librarians behind it.

She must have used this library when she was a student but she couldn't remember anything about it. “Do you have computers with internet access here?” She asked the lady who approached to her to help.

“They are located one floor down.” She replied. “Is there anything I can help you with?”

'Not unless you know how to reach Kevin Richardson in the year 2030,' She thought to herself. “No,” She replied. She thanked the woman and made her way to the basement where rows of desks, each with a computer, lined the walls and snaked their way through the room. Julie found an unoccupied desk and took a seat.

She opened an internet browser and sat, fingers frozen over the keys. She had no idea what she was going to look up. How do you research someone from the future. 'He wasn't always that age, he had to grow up.' Julie perked at this train of thought. Maybe she could find young Kevin and somehow use him to get a message to him as an adult? It was a long shot, but she would give it a try.

Several hours passed and Julie was exhausted from staring at the computer screen. There were several Kevin Richardsons in the Los Angeles area alone and what if he wasn't even from California? She sighed and sat back in her chair, tossing her pen on the notebook now heavily scribbled on.

She looked at her watch and jumped from the desk grabbing her things. Julie had promised she and Jeff would meet her mother for an early dinner. It was already after one o'clock. She wondered how she'd sat for that long researching without breaking for food. She was not very aware of her stomach wanting food; she stopped by a vending machine on the way out and managed to dig through her purse to find enough change to get a Snickers bar.

She sighed as she reached the parking lot and scanned for her car, she couldn't remember where she parked. Thankfully, she had a vehicle with an automatic door lock/unlock feature on its key. She continued to hit the lock button looking for the flashing lights and listening for the beep to sound where her vehicle was. She smiled when she saw the lights flashing and started towards her car. As she neared she saw a guy wandering the parking lot. She would have thought he was looking for his car but his head was turned in her direction. She couldn't make out the man's face since the sun was directly behind him, blinding her to his features.

The man started to move towards her. Unnerved, Julie unlocked her car, threw open the door, climbed in, locked the car and quickly turned the key in the ignition. As she pulled out she could see the man's face clearly, she did not know how he was but she could also see him opening the door to the car that was two away from hers.

“Damn,” she muttered. “I'm jumpy.”

“With good reason,” a male voice behind her spoke.

Julie screamed and slammed on her brakes, hard. She could feel the man slam forward and hit his head on the back of her seat. She unlocked the door and turned to run.

“Damn Julie!” the man yelled as he got out of the car. “It's me,” The man said as he moved his hands away from his face. She stood facing Nick.

“Nick!” she shouted. “What the hell were you doing in my car? That was stupid!” She hit his arm, relieved that it was someone she somewhat knew.

“Yah, not one of my brightest ideas.” He chuckled smirking at her.

“What the hell are you doing here? This is my time you know, I'm home. I don't need a volunteer checking in on me,” Julie said it and knew it was not true. She wanted to be checked in on, but she wanted Kevin to be there.

“I still can't get over that Dr. Dorough let you return with your time travel memories,” he said shaking his head. “But since you have them, I'm hoping you can help me with something.”

A car horn blared behind them and they turned to wave apologizes to the man shouting at them through his car windows. “Can we go to you place?” Nick asked as he started to get back into the car. “To talk,” he added.

Julie nodded and got back in her car and turned it south back to Culver City. “I wasn't under the impression that anyone would be contacting me again. Howie, Dr. Dorough, didn't want me speaking about my experiences with anyone.” As she spoke, Kevin's words came back. Maybe it was Nick she was supposed to help.

“Well I'm sure it was explained how it typically works. Your case must have been special that he didn't insist on a volunteer getting you at your first jump date, especially after...” She caught his eyes in the rear view mirror and he looked away, leaving his statement unfinished.

The car remained silent until they reached Julie's apartment. Once inside, she motioned for him to take a seat. “I need to get changed really quick, please stay here.” She ran into her room and changed into clothes appropriate to meet her mother for dinner. She glanced in the mirror and ran a brush through her light brown hair. She returned to the living room to find Nick lying down on the couch flipping through the television channels.

“Aren't these all reruns for you?” She asked in jest.

“Nick flipped off the T.V. And sat up, “I haven't watched much TV lately, been busy.”

Julie sat in the chair next to the couch, crossing one foot under her as she sat. “You said something about helping you?” she asked him.

He leaned closer to Julie and spoke in a soft tone. It made Julie feel that she was being told something she wasn't supposed to know. “We've recently discovered a rogue volunteer within the Project itself,” He stopped as if expecting her to look shocked, when she didn't react he continue. “We think he's come back to your time, this time, to try to manipulate the focus of the Project before it is up and running.”

“I still don't see how I can help.” Julie un-tucked her leg as it was starting to go numb under her. “I'm not a volunteer; wouldn't it be up to you, Dr. Dorough and Kevin to figure this out?” Her heart jumped around in her chest, 'Please let Kevin come,' her heart seemed to scream to her head.

“Dr. Dorough is attempting to fix the mess the guy left the lab when he left and Kevin is off searching for a displaced person.” Nick shrugged and walked into the kitchen, opening the fridge and helping himself to a soft drink.

'He's looking for me,' Julie thought to herself. The second note in her notebook suddenly made sense to her. She wanted to find a way to tell Kevin she was found so he could stop searching. A quick memory of him answering her when she asked if he ever stopped looking for her. “Never,” he'd said. She could ask Nick to tell him, maybe when they were finished she would ask. “And AJ?” she shot out remembering the name from the future.

Nick looked at her confused. Maybe she shouldn't have said anything, maybe he's not part of the project yet, maybe he's the rogue volunteer. Nick only shook his head and sat back down.

“I need your help to find the brains behind the project.” Nick moved closer to her chair and placed his hand gently on her knee.

“Charles?” she questioned.

“Yes, Charles! Great, you know him?” Nick squeezed her knee shooting a jolt of tingles through her lower body.

“I know what Kevin told me about him,” Julie started to speak, disappointment evident on Nick's face. “And I sort of ran into him and a friend of his today.”

“Friend? He's not supposed to meet Jessica for another two years; she's the co-founder of the project.” Nick looked worried. “Shit, do you know who this friend is?”

“I spoke with him; he said his name is Brian. Mary said he transferred from USC this year.”

“Fuck,” Nick paced the room running his hands through his hair.

“Is he the rogue volunteer?” Julie questioned. “I might know where we can run into them again.” She offered up.

A huge grin broke out on the blond hair, blue-eyed man's face. “You're the best!” He exclaimed as he pulled Julie out of the chair and wrapped both of his arms tightly around her she found herself wrapping her own arms around him, bringing him closer to her.

Chapter 11 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

the inevitable happens, then something a little more unexpected.

Julie closed her eyes and leaned into Nick's hug. He felt so comfortable to her; it was like her body was made to fit next to his. His embrace was tight and he smelled so good, Julie could feel herself melting further into his embrace. She closed her eyes and got lost in his hug.

The front door opening caught both Nick and Julie by surprise and they pulled away as quickly as they could, but it was too late. Jeff stood gaping at the two of them as if he'd just caught them in bed, naked. “What the...?” He started to question before he dropped the the flowers he'd been holding and flew at Nick.

“Jeff, stop,” Julie pleaded with him, pulling his arm trying to get him away from Nick. He was so enraged; Julie would never be able to get him away, so she tried Nick. “Nick, please stop.”

Her begging fell on deaf ears and she could only watch helplessly as Jeff threw punches at Nick that he seemed to avoid with ease. Nick's punches, on the other hand, found their mark every time.

Finally, unable to take it anymore, Julie threw herself between Nick and Jeff. “Stop!” she yelled at both of them, thanking God they both stopped before a fist collided with her. She shoved Nick away and tried to pull Jeff to her.

“Let me help you,” she tried to get him to move towards the kitchen, “at least let me explain.”

Jeff glared at her, “I don't know what has gotten into you. Two days ago you were perfectly normal. Yesterday you seemed detached, different somehow. Today, I find you in the arms of another man. Maybe I proposed to soon.”

“You aren't even going to let me explain?” Julie spat back in his direction. Suddenly the five years she'd been gone became all too apparent. She had changed in the last five years, she was older now and he was still the same twenty-three year old man she'd fallen in love with when she was twenty-two. The thrill of the proposal had worn off, now more than ever, Julie regretted her acceptance.

“What explanation can you give? That hug looked pretty cozy.” Jeff threw up his hands.

Julie realized at that point it would never really work out with Jeff, not after everything. Not after Kevin, not after meeting him and Nick. “Jeff, maybe this isn't meant to be,” She said approaching him removing her ring. She grabbed his hand, forced it to lay flat and placed the ring in the palm of his hand. Closing his hand around the ring, she leaned in and kissed him good-bye. “I will always love you, but I know I'm not the right person for you.”

Jeff stood staring at her for a few more minutes before turning and walking out the door. He stopped at the door and turned around. “I knew you were too good to be true.” With those words, he walked out the door.

Julie collapsed on the couch and dropped her head into her hands. She knew she'd done the right thing, she really wasn't the same person Jeff had been in love with two days ago. She felt a soft touch on the top of her head, she looked up to see Nick standing there watching her.

“You really did do what was best,” He said, pulling her up to face him. He cupped her head with both of his hands and looked her straight in the eyes. “He would never understand the things you've seen and done, not like...me,” He did not give her a chance to respond, he pulled her close pressing his lips to hers.

Julie felt herself responding, returning his kiss. Her body moved closer to him, her arms pulling him closer to her. Her entire body yearned to be touched by him and he acted as if his entire being needed to posses her or perish. She pushed him away and led him down the hall to her bedroom, closing the door.

Both of their kisses now became more frenzied. Nick walked backwards, pulling Julie with him, towards the bed. Julie's fingers busied themselves grasping at Nick's shirt. They broke apart briefly so that she could pull his shirt over his head. She pushed him onto the bed and sat straddling him as his hands explored her body under her shirt. It wasn't long before her shirt was on the floor, accompanied by all the remaining clothes between the two of them.

Nick moved so he was now over her. She saw him fumbling with something, realizing he was putting on a condom. 'Thank god', she thought. Moments later Julie's breath caught as she felt him enter her. It wasn't her first time, but with five years of celibacy behind her it might as well have been. It wasn't long before the initial discomfort was replaced with the feelings of pleasure. She heard Nick's groans then felt him collapse on top of her.

“Yes,” he muttered to himself and rolled off of her. He kissed her collarbone down her chest, flicking his tongue on her nipple before wrapping his arms around her and holding her tightly. “That was great,” he sighed.

“It was,” she lied. She was only starting to enjoy it and he was done. She soon forgot her disappointment as Nick snuggled closer to her. She nestled closer and closed her eyes. She must have fallen asleep there, in his arms, since the next thing she remembered was the phone ringing. Nick was breathing softly next to her, she didn't want to wake him so she let the voice mail answer.

After a few more moments lying there she was hit with a realization. “Shit,” she cursed under her breath. At that moment she knew it was her mother that had been calling. She and Jeff were supposed to meet her for dinner. Slowly she tried to move Nick's arm from on top of her. She could feel him stirring, tightening his grip on her. She sighed and decided her mother could wait, though she would get an earful later, she was enjoying Nick's warmth too much to end it so soon.

“Hey there,” she heard his voice whisper in her ear.

“Hi,” She turned to face him smiling.

“I want you to know, I never do that,” he kissed the top of her head.

Julie pondered that for a moment, something in how he said that didn't make sense. Wasn't he the one that produced the condom? “What? The one with the way with women?”

“What are you talking about?” He laughed.

“It's what you told me the first time we met.” She ran her fingers through his hair.

“When was that again? Remind me.” He kissed the nape of her neck, running his fingers lightly over the skin on her arm.

'Poor guy, must travel through time so much he's forgotten,' she thought to herself. “1960. I pissed Kevin off and he left the hotel room, you arrived a few minutes later after he called you. You were a bit aggressive then, I'm glad it's not how you really are.” She leaned towards him and kissed him.

“Oh yes, I remember that now,” he smiled and lay watching her. “Tell me about some of your jumps.”

Julie sat up and look back towards Nick. “Why does it matter? I am here now, with you now.” She stood and pulled her underwear on, quickly throwing her shirt over her head.

“I just want to know what you've been through. If you couldn't tell Julie, I like you and I want to know more about you.” He'd edged closer to the end of the bed, taking her hand in his.

“There were the many times I was almost put to death, those I don't really care to relive.”

“Then tell me about the experiences you had that you enjoyed. What about your first jump, was that a good or bad memory?” He asked, his eyes twinkling.

Julie shrugged and moved to grab her pants. “There was one jump that a band of gypsies took me in. I didn't speak a word of their language but they kept me fed and clothed. I think I was being negotiated into marriage shortly before I jumped.” She laughed. “They were fairly patient with me learning their laws and ways.” She smiled into her shoulder.

“Was that your first jump?” Nick asked now leaning on his hand, elbow propped up on bed. Julie admired his chest and wondered when he had the time to work out with searching for a rogue volunteer and possibly other displaced persons. She laughed at herself 'when did he have time.' She shook her head in response to his question.

“I did jump into the late 1980's once too. I mainly stayed in the shadows during that jump. Wouldn't want to jeopardize my own birth by doing something stupid. I remember walking by a music store hearing New Kids on the Block and remembering my mother tell me how much I loved to dance to their songs when I was three.” Her mother, Julie sobered and grabbed the phone off the side table.

“Excuse me for a minute, I need to call my mother,” Julie said as she started to punch in the numbers.

“Okay, I'll miss you when you're gone.” He said as he rolled back over sighing.

Julie was about to punch in the last digit of her mother's number, her finger hovered over the number. She realized this was going to be a difficult call and she would need to hurry. Nick would need her help to track down Charles and Brian, to help capture the rogue volunteer. She couldn't help the nagging feeling of guilt she had when she thought about what just happened with Nick, she'd only just ended it with Jeff and was already screwing some other guy.

Chapter 12 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours

“Julie, where are you? I've been waiting for nearly an hour,” Her mother's voice sounded strained. She hated to put her mother through any stress, not after the surgery, not after her dad passed and her mother was all she had.

“Mom, I'm sorry I should have called sooner but I..” was busy having sex “was crying my eyes out. Jeff and I broke up mom.” She sniffed a little bit to make it sound like she'd been crying. In all honesty she wasn't sad over the break up. She was upset that it would hurt her mother, but she's had five years to grieve losing Jeff. Too much had happened for her to be with him now.

“Oh honey, I'm so sorry. I could have sworn he was going to propose to you any day now,” Her mother was sympathetic. Julie decided to keep the fact that he had proposed and she'd accepted from her, she didn't need to know it was going to be revealed to her at dinner that night. “Are you going to be alright?” her mother asked.

“I will be fine I think, but you can understand why I won't be able to make it to dinner?” Julie missed her mother like mad, and would love to see her. But if Jeff could tell something was different about her, her mother would sure be able to tell something had changed in the course of what were only a few days to them. She needed more time to prepare herself to see her mother.

Nick wandered out of her room and moved into the kitchen, again helping himself to whatever he found to eat. He still had his shirt off and Julie admired his back and chest again. He turned to look at her and smiled, her heart jumped in her chest.

“Mom, can I call you back when I'm not so upset over the break up to reschedule a time when we can get together for lunch or something?” Julie asked her eyes still watching Nick as he took a huge bite from the peach he pulled out of the fridge, licking the juice from around his mouth and off of the fruit. She could hear her mother talking to her about something, but her mind was busy watching Nick eat his peach.

“Julie!” She could hear her mom shout into the phone, snapping her out of the trance.

“Sorry Mom, I just saw a picture of Jeff and...” Julie started to think of an excuse.

“Say no more honey. I was just saying that when you are ready, give me a call. Just don't take too long. Call me anytime you need an ear. I love you,” Julie's mom finished. It was a good thing her mother couldn't see what was going on in Julie's kitchen as they spoke. Nick was now purposely licking the peach in a way that if the peach were a woman, it would be moaning uncontrollably.

“I love you too, mom,” Julie replied. “Good-bye” with that she hung up the phone. Nick was instantly at her side as she set down the phone.

His mouth was all over her mouth, his kisses were ravenous and soon her shirt was back on the floor. The peach still in his hand, Nick squeezed the fruit and began to rub the juice over her breasts. His tongue tracing circles around her nipples licking the juice off. Several times his tongue flicked across her breast instantly causing her to moan.

Still rubbing the fruit all over her body, Nick's free hand eagerly attempted to get her pants undone. “No, stop,” Julie whispered.

“Why? Aren't you enjoying it?” Nick smirked before gently tugging on her nipple with his teeth.

“Fuck,” she cried out. Her body wanted him to continue, but her brain was sending her signals to stop, that it was somehow wrong. “Please stop,” she asked again, this time shoving his head away. She quickly put her arm across her chest in case he attempted to start over again. “I hardly know you.”

“That didn't seem to bother you earlier,” Nick smirked, taking a bite out of what was left of the peach. He moved to the kitchen and washed his hands.

Julie picked up her shirt and threw it on again, wiping the peach juice that got on her hands off on her pants. She hadn't fought earlier; it had been five long years with no real human contact mixed with the break up with Jeff mixed with her unresolved feelings towards Kevin.

Nick walked back to Julie and leaned over, his lips brushing her ear. Julie shivered slightly as she felt his breath on her ear and neck.

“Perhaps we can pick this up later then?” Nick whispered giving her an instant tingling sensation. She wanted to resume now, but knew she would regret it more than she already did if she didn't get to know the man she just slept with.

“Task at hand,” Julie said aloud, more to herself. “We need to figure out how to find Brian and Charles. I ran into them today at a coffee shop, maybe they will go there again?”

Nick shook his head. “From what I have read about Charles he is a tad OCD. He has a routine and sticks to it rigidly.”

“So he won't get coffee twice?” Julie questioned. “Maybe it was his routine to drink coffee three times a day.”

Nick shook his head. “He had a bedtime at nine every night that he followed. I don't think he'd risk coffee too late in the day.”

“So tomorrow we can go to the coffee shop.” Julie stated. “What do we do until then?” She asked realizing how stupid the question was as soon as Nick moved closer to her, she put up her hand. “How about you tell me a little about yourself? At least what you can tell me without talking about future stuff I shouldn't know about?” She smiled as he moved back to the couch, enough distance away from her.

Nick shrugged at her request. “I'm from Florida, and I'm currently eight years old.” He laughed. “But if I give you information then you need to give me information too.” He winked and she nodded.

“Agreed.”

“I wanted to be a famous singer when I was eight.” Nick started.

“I wanted to be a ballerina,” she replied.

“At 26, I fell in love for the first time,” Nick had a playful look on his face.

Julie's heart skipped a beat as he said this. How old was he now? He couldn't be talking about her could he? “I have been in love three times,” she replied trying to stick to the game though her heart was beating faster.

“Three? You minx,” Nick winked. “Am I one?”

Julie shook her head, “I barely know you,” she replied. Did that really matter though? She hardly knew Kevin yet had included him in her count without hesitating.

“Well who?” Nick wondered out loud.

“You first,” She replied laughing. It was one way to confirm it wasn't her.

Nick shook his head. “Pass on that.” He paused and started to give his best thinking face. “My first jump was to Shanghai, China during the Ming dynasty, 1534 to be exact. We found information in one of the books that a white visitor showed up one day and became part of their life. We thought it could be a displaced person so I was dispatched to look into it. Turns out she was a displaced, Zoe Harkin?” He posed it as a question; Julie supposed he thought she knew everyone who was displaced. The name sounded familiar to her though, possibly in her physics class.

Seeing her shake her head Nick continued, “Anyway. I got her first jump information and that's the end of that.” The way Nick looked when he said Zoe's name hardly led Julie to believe that was truly that when it came to Zoe. Perhaps this was who he fell in love with at twenty-six?

Nick finished his tale and the two of them sat sitting in silence staring at each other.

“You're next,” he smirked, his playfulness back.

Julie looked at him and blinked. “Once I jumped and ended up in the service of Anne Boleyn. I was a servant, nobody of note. I jumped before she was beheaded,” Julie started. She enjoyed the jump only because it was a period of history she was fascinated with. She did not enjoy the drama of court life or the fate she knew as coming for the Queen.

“Was this your first?” Nick asked, a hopeful look on his face.

She shook her head and Nick's expression looked dark before his usual smile was back. Maybe she imagined the change in appearance?

“You'll share when you are ready,” he patted her knee and stood glancing down at his watch. “You'll excuse me?” he asked. “I need to be somewhere. I'll be back in the morning to go with you to find Charles. You understand that you will have to make contact? If Brian sees me, he could run, or worse.”

Julie sat wondering what Brian could do that was worse, she hardly noticed that Nick was gone.

Feeling a little irate at how the volunteers enter and exit so suddenly, she stood, determined to get the peach juice off of her.

She let her mind contemplate the situation as the water ran down her back. Kevin had left her, Nick had shown up. Kevin's last words to her were “Help Him.” Nick could definitely be that 'him'. She was just a case to Kevin, Nick, she didn't know what was going on with him, but she definitely enjoyed the way he made her feel.

Kevin seemed very straight edged and she was really starting to think she wasn't going to see him again. Maybe it was time to put aside her feelings, Nick was here, well not technically here, but maybe he could offer her what she needed now. She groaned, why was she even thinking about them? She hardly knew anything about either of them, except for how they made her feel.

She decided she needed to look into things before Nick came back. She needed to determine for herself what it was that was going on with Brian and Charles. As she pulled on new clothes she glanced at the clock, it wasn't even six yet. Her best bet for finding any information, especially dealing with the volunteers was to visit The Library. Dr. Dorough told her that it started in 2012 before volunteers started jumping so it should be there now. Maybe she could find information on Kevin and Nick there too.

“No Julie,” She reprimanded herself out loud. She was not going there to research her crushes, she needed to get information to help Charles and possibly Nick.

She got back in her car and headed back near the UCLA campus. If she remembered from her first visit it was near there.

It wasn't long before she was pulling into the parking lot of a restaurant across the street from The Library. She sat inside the restaurant by a window, she ordered food, having found her spare debit card, and watched the building across the way.

She was finishing up when she saw Brian, minus Charles, walking up to the building and disappearing inside.

She decided now would be a good time to meet with Brian and ask him some questions. She might even be able to help Nick more when she saw him tomorrow.

She jogged her way up the stairs and stood there looking at the door. She spied the plate next to the door that Dr. Dorough had used to release the lock on the door.

“What the hell,” she mumbled as she placed her palm to the plate. She felt her hand grow warm and thought she heard the door click. She went to grab the door and open it before it shut again, but it was pushed into her as it was opened from the other side.

Julie thought she was in luck, Brian was coming back out, it might be easier to confront him outside. The man on the other side, however, was not Brian. “Kevin?” Julie questioned as she looked into the green eyes of the man she thought she'd never see again.

Chapter 13 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Oh Kevin how we've missed you, but why must you be a pain sometimes?

Julie found it difficult to formulate words as she stood across from Kevin. She wanted to reach out and bring his hand to her face, to feel the gentle touch she remembered when he left but something kept her from doing so. The gray was missing from his facial hair and only his smile brought the tiny wrinkles next to his eyes now, he was younger, he wouldn't know. She was sure she was grinning like a fool but she couldn't help it, he was standing right in front of her.

“Julie?” Kevin questioned, not looking at her the least bit like he did the last time she saw him, when he was fifteen years older than he would be now. “How?”

She shook her head, suddenly nervous standing there. She pushed her hair behind her ears and avoided his eyes. She felt that if she looked him in the eyes he would know something was wrong. She wasn't sure if she felt this way because earlier she'd admitted to herself that she felt like she loved Kevin, or if she was feeling guilty about being with Nick.

“How did you get here? How did you find this place?” He took her by the elbow and directed her inside The Library itself. She let her eyes adjust to the inside before taking note that the interior looked exactly the same thirty-three years from now.

She turned back to Kevin and put her arms around him, sighing in content when she felt him return the hug. His arms felt protective and admittedly it had a different feel from any feeling the older Kevin made her feel but she didn't care, he was here and she was wrapped in his arms.

“I didn't think I'd see you again,” She said after letting him go.

“How did you get to twenty twelve? Is this a jump? I don't believe we have any records of a displaced person actually jumping this close to the time of the accident.” His eyes lit up with the possibility of being the first volunteer to run into this situation.

“No, I've been injected and returned.”

Kevin frowned. “Then why do you know who I am? How did you know to come here?” He moved her to a chair and forced her to sit down. “You got someone to agree to your deal?” He mused, a smirk playing on his lips.

Julie raised her eyes brows and smirked in return. “I guess I just found someone easier to convince than you.”

Kevin shook his head and stood watching Julie. “Who brought you back?” He started to ask her but as she opened her mouth to tell him that she couldn't say, he answered his own question. “It was A.J wasn't it? He's always trying to impress the founders by returning displaced persons, even the ones that aren't his. Seems to think he'll be in charge some day. I never thought he'd snake one of my files though.” Kevin was pacing as he spoke, Julie simply watched with an amused look on her face.

“Well was it him?” Kevin asked facing her now.

“I promised I wouldn't tell,” she stood and moved towards a shelf of books. “Are you the only one here?” She asked him casually.

“I am,” he answered just as casually. “Speaking of here, how did you find this place?”

Julie shrugged and craned her neck towards the door to the backroom straining to see if anyone was back there. She thought she might have seen movement back there. She knew she saw Brian come into the building, he had to be there somewhere. “I followed someone,” she eyed Kevin letting him know that she knew someone else was there.

“Maybe you saw them enter a different building and got confused,” Kevin looked away from her seemingly nervous.

Julie had to figure out a way to get away from Kevin and search the place. She needed to find Brian, she needed to know what he was up to and, come to think of it, why was Kevin obviously covering up for him?

“Is there anything I can do for you? Do you need help adjusting back to your life?” Kevin asked taking her hand and directing her to sit again, he took a seat next to her and held her eye contact.

Julie shook her head. Where was this offer of help before she broke it off with Jeff and slept with Nick? She thought it best not to bring up Nick's name. What if Brian was nearby and heard her talking about him, would he get suspicious? Was Kevin hiding him? Was Kevin working with him? Kevin didn't seem like the type to try to do something that wasn't right, he didn't seem like a rule breaker. Perhaps that was part of the plot, to appear like a rule follower and all the while breaking the rules. Julie's head was beginning to hurt thinking about it.

Still thinking it best to keep Nick's name out of it, Julie decided to ask Kevin about Brian. “Kevin I know I saw a man run in here. I spoke with this man just this morning and,” she paused hating to lie but feeling it necessary, “well I found him attractive so I followed him. This is where he ended up. I did not get the wrong building.”

Kevin sighed, Julie was sure he knew it was pointless to argue with her. He already knew she was stubborn after attempting to get her first jump information out of her and failing, twice.

“He works with me,” Kevin finally admitted.

“Works with you how?” She asked. She needed him to give her more information, she needed to know who it was her heart had fallen for and she hoped that he wasn't on the wrong side of the volunteers. She would be devastated if that was the case, she already set her heart on him, but if he was part of the rogue volunteers she didn't know what she would do.

She stopped herself from her current stream of thinking, she wasn't being fair to Nick. She had, after all, slept with him. She had already started something with him, it wasn't fair to him to keep her mind lingering on Kevin.

Kevin sighed and looked off into the expanse of the library, “He's my cousin, and another volunteer.” Kevin finally offered up. “That really is all I can tell you though,” He took her hand and helped her stand, pulling her to the door.

“You should probably go,” Kevin told her as he opened the door. “I have things I need to...” He stopped mid sentence and looked outside. Julie's eyes followed his, he was staring at something across the street, but she could only see a couple walking hand in hand, a man walking a dog and a woman jogging.

She rolled her eyes, 'Just like a man, can't help but stare at a woman jogging.' She thought to herself. She turned back to look at Kevin, his eyes squinting trying to get a better look. She coughed and he turned his attention back to her.

“Sorry I thought I saw...” Again he did not finish his statement. They stood looking at each other in the doorway neither one making any movement in either direction.

Julie decided it was now or never to ask the question that she wanted to ask the minute she saw him again. “Would you have dinner with me?”

Seconds after the words left her lips she knew it was a mistake to ask. Kevin's forehead creased as he looked at her confused. “Julie, I was your case worker. You are home, you need to get back into your own life. I have work to do for the Project anyway.” He answered her and moved back inside, closing the door behind him. She heard the door click firmly indicating the lock was secure.

She watched the door for only a few seconds more, her eyes catching on the plate next to the door, her mind toying with the idea of trying it again. She shook her head, the door had only opened because Kevin had opened it. She turned away and moved back down the stairs, across the street and into her car.

As she turned her car towards home, her mind was trying to sort out all the information she'd received in the last couple of days. Nick was looking for a rogue volunteer, someone who was out to change the direction of the Project. In what way he hadn't said but if they changed the course of the Project then they would change the course of history, that couldn't be good for anyone.

By the time she arrived home her brain was hurting from all the thinking she'd been doing. She made her way to the bathroom and found some Tylenol. She popped a couple tablets into her mouth and gulped some water to help them down.

“If they are cousins and Brian is on the wrong side...” Julie didn't want to think about it anymore. She didn't want to think about Kevin being on the wrong side. She didn't want to think she could love someone who would try to do wrong.

She lay back in her chair letting the Tylenol start to work. Her eyes started to close, drifting into sleep hoping that her mind would not dwell on Kevin or Nick.

Chapter 14 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Kevin is out, Nick is back in, Julie's mind is torn in two...

Julie woke up refreshed. It had been a long while since she'd been able to sleep the way she slept last night. She was comfortable and content in her surroundings, she felt confident she would not jump in the middle of the night and nobody was after her.

She forced herself to get into the shower, years of not knowing the next time she would be able to get clean caught up with her and she still felt like she was washing some of that grime off. As she pulled on clean clothes she heard noises coming from her kitchen. Doors and drawers sounded like they were being slammed. Julie's heart began to beat, what felt like, a million beats a second. Maybe she wasn't as safe as she thought she was.

She grabbed the lamp off her nightstand and yanked the cord out from the wall. Walking on her toes she crept out of her room and towards the kitchen. She stood behind the wall and quickly glanced around into the room.

“What the hell are you doing?” Nick was standing right in front of her as she turned around the corner.

“Fuck!” Julie screeched swinging the lamp in Nick's direction. He easily grabbed it and pulled it from her hand. “Nick, did you not learn from the car incident? You can't just sneak up on a person, or appear out of no where,” She grasped her chest, her heart still felt like it was beating faster than it should be able.

Nick pulled Julie in close and kissed the top of her head. “Sorry, I just can't find coffee filters,” He moved away and continued to look around the kitchen.

“Making me coffee?” She asked with a playful smirk on her face.

Nick looked at her and blinked a few times before answering, “Sure, you can have some too.” he replied.

“Whatever, my machine, I get first cup,” She replied and pulled the coffee filters out, stuffing one in the machine. She pushed the start button and turned to look at Nick. Gone was any sign of the playful guy she was with yesterday. Today, he stood in front of her looking miffed. She looked him up and down, there was something about him today that seemed familiar, like she'd seen him this way before.

'Well of course I have,' she thought to herself. 'He was irritated with me the first time he met,' She shrugged and inhaled the aroma of the brewing coffee. “Why are we brewing coffee if we are going to a coffee shop?” She asked Nick since she suddenly remembered what they were supposed to be doing that day.

“What does it matter?” Nick snapped at her causing her to shrink back a little afraid of what he might do in his anger. The very look of him at that moment in time reminded her of the first time they met, even his outfit looked similar. She remembered he was pissed she wouldn't give him her first jump information, Kevin sent him to try to get it out of her but she only wanted to speak with Kevin. Julie eyed Nick suspiciously.

He must have noticed her look, his face relaxed some and he moved closer to her, arms outstretched. “Hey, I'm sorry babe,” he pulled her into a hug. “I just had a bad day at the office is all,” He smiled again and moved to find coffee mugs.

“What happened?” She asked curious as to what upset him that much.

Nick hesitated pouring the coffee for a brief second before he spoke. “It seems that the, well Brian, it appears he's been recruiting displaced person and other volunteers to join him.”

“Join him to do what?” Julie asked. “The only thing you've told me about what he was doing was that he was trying to change the direction of the project, but you never said what direction that is.”

Nick took a drink of his coffee and handed a cup to Julie. “We don't have the specifics, but whatever he does with Charles could change history,” Nick said nonchalantly.

“Change history?” Julie wondered.

Nick nodded but she could tell she wasn't going to get any more information out of him in what Brian would do once he got Charles besides it would alter history. Once he got Charles what would he do? Julie thought about last night, running into Kevin and Kevin acting like he was the only one in The Library. Should she tell Nick? Maybe Kevin didn't know Brian was in The Library? She was confused again. Maybe he was working with Brian? Maybe future Kevin was asking her to help his past self. She was so engrossed in her thought she did not hear Nick talking.

“Hello, Julie,” He said waving his hand in front of her face.

“I'm sorry, I was thinking about something,” she said before taking a drink of her coffee. The warm liquid felt good in her empty belly. She took another long drink before she noticed Nick looking at her expectantly. “What?”

“You are not going to share?” now it was his turn to eye her suspiciously.

She made a split second decision not to mention Kevin, yet. “I was thinking about yesterday.” It wasn't a complete lie, but when his face brightened and his playful smirk returned she knew he thought she mean what happened between him and her yesterday.

“We can pick that up later if you want,” He grinned. “Let's get moving, it should be close to the time that Charles will be there, right?”

Julie looked at the clock on the wall and nodded. They needed time to get to the coffee shop near campus and they still had to drive there from her apartment. The drive over was fairly quiet and a tad uncomfortable for Julie, she turned on her radio to break up the quiet. She pulled into the parking lot and Nick jumped out of the car and ran to her side, opening the door for her.

“Well now, chivalry isn't dead,” she comment inclining her head to him as she got out of the car. She felt Nick's hand take hold of hers as they walked towards the coffee shop. They arrived at the side of the building and Nick dropped her hand.

“You go in, I'll wait out here,” Nick said.

“What am I supposed to do in there all alone?” she asked. Really was she supposed to detain him somehow and call outside to Nick so he could come in and take him back?
Nick looked side to side, like he was expecting someone to jump out from behind a bush or the building. “Somehow, I need you to get Brian out of the building. I will then go inside and get Charles, take him somewhere safe.” He tweaked Julie's cheek with his fingers and turned her towards the entrance. “Good luck,” he said before she turned around the corner.

Julie touched her cheek where he squeezed, it felt a little sore. Maybe he didn't know how hard he pinched her? She rubbed it and pushed the door open, letting her eyes glance around the room quickly.

Her eyes fell on Mary and Patrick at the table they were at last time, but Charles and Brian were no where to be found. Julie made her way to the counter and ordered a coffee. She made her way over to the table where Mary and Patrick were. “Mind if I sit?” she asked the two as she pulled out a chair and sat down. The other two looked hesitant about her action.

“What can I do for you?” Mary asked, looking genuinely perplexed by Julie's presence.

Julie shrugged and sipped her coffee. “I was hoping to run into Brian again,” she admitted honestly.

“You won't see him here today,” Mary answered. “He went out of town to visit some family. He told us yesterday.”

“What about Charles?” Julie asked, without Brian around Charles would be easier to keep away from him.

Mary shrugged. “He was here earlier, some other guy was with him though. They left early because Charles was having a fit about the foam being wrong in his drink or something.”

“Thanks,” Julie said and stood leaving the two to work on homework or whatever else they were going to do after she left. She made her way outside and found Nick.

“What's going on?” Nick demanded.

Julie shrugged. “He's not there.” She stated simply.

“But it's time for his coffee, he sticks to a strict schedule.” Nick put his hands on his hips in frustration. His tongue flicked out of his mouth to wet his lips as he threw back his head in thought. Julie kept the tidbit about a different guy with Brian that morning, she had an idea of who it was and she wasn't prepared to involve Kevin until she knew which side he was on, and right now it didn't look good.

“Let's go back to your place,” Nick steered Julie by her shoulders back to the car. “There are some things I'd like to talk to you about.” He told her as they got into her car and started back to her apartment.

Julie surprised herself allowing Nick to seduce her again when they got back to her apartment. She dared not even admit it to herself, but thoughts of Kevin floated through her mind the entire time she and Nick had sex again. This time when he finished, instead of snuggling next to her, he rolled over and went to sleep. It left her feeling very unsatisfied. She slipped out of the bed and wandered into the living room turning the television on quietly for noise and sat down to think.

She couldn't believe how much her mind dwelled on Kevin. She had herself believing that she loved him, but what did she know about him really? And if she loved him, why was she messing around with Nick. Was she really that starved for human touch?

“Hey there you are,” Nick leaned against the wall standing there in nothing but his boxers. “the bed got cold.”

“Sorry, I wasn't tired,” She said. 'It's only just after noon,' she thought to herself. “Now that you are up, what did you want to talk about?”

“I have a proposition for you,” He sat on the couch next to her and took hold of her hand. “Join me, help me stop the volunteers.” He gazed into her eyes, holding contact. The heat from his gaze was so intense Julie found herself having to look away.

“You mean join the project to stop the rogue volunteers?” She asked looking at the television, not him something wasn't right.

“Of course,” He said, a devilish tone in his voice.

“What would that involve?” She asked looking back towards him, a huge grin on his face.

“I will need to get you a device, and I will need to fill out some paperwork, including your first jump. Insurance in case something happens,” he quickly said when she scrunched her nose up at the mention of her first jump.

“So you want to help?” Nick looked excited now, like a school boy who just received a gold star from his favorite teacher.

Julie nodded and watched as he ran back into her room and came back out dressed. “This is more than I hoped for,” He kissed her quickly before going out her front door. She followed him but by the time she opened the door he was gone. She stood watching a couple of kids play across the road, both of them running excitedly up to a man walking a dog. Julie scrunched her nose trying to get a better view of the man but he was wearing a hat pulled down covering his face.

Why did it seem like every time she looked outside she saw a man and his dog, the same dog, the same hat. It had to be the same man. Julie slammed the door and bolted it, suddenly afraid she was being followed. She could be overreacting again, she thought the man in the parking lot was after her, turned out he was just getting in his car. Maybe she just thought she saw the same man walking the same dog. She chanced it and peeked out her peephole, the man with the dog was now on her side of the road looking straight up at her door she now had a clear view of his face. No wonder the man looked familiar. She quickly threw open the door and charged out at him.

“Kevin! What are you doing here?” She stood in front of him looking him square in the eye, a baffled Kevin staring back at her.

Chapter 15 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Julie demands to know

By the eyes darting around and his obvious look of shock, Julie guessed that Kevin didn't think she would catch him spying. She ripped the hat off of his head and held his gaze. The flecks of gray in his hair and the way his eyes looked at her, told her this wasn't the Kevin she talked to earlier.

“What are you doing here?” She asked, arms across her chest.

“Watching,” he stated.

“I figured that, why?”

“You need to talk to Kevin,” he said looking a bit awkward referring to himself in the third person.

“I need to ask you questions,” she moved towards him taking his arms in her hands.

“I can't, I shouldn't be here. I shouldn't have even told you to talk to me,” He turned and tugged on the dog's leash, starting to walk away. Julie grabbed hold of his arm and pulled him back.

“You can't leave that fast, what did you mean “help him”? I have had several headaches the last couple days just with that message alone.”

“I shouldn't have said that much,” Kevin took hold of Julie's hand and removed it from his arm. “I really need to go, and you need to talk to,” He put the hat back on his head and stroked her cheek. , “me. You'll figure out the rest.” With that he was gone around the corner, she jogged after him but he was gone.

“Dammit!” she screamed. “This is bullshit. Someone just tell me what the hell is going on.” She flew back inside and grabbed her phone, keys and a few other items before making it back out to her car. She was glad she didn't see any cops as she drove since she broke several traffic laws on her way to The Library.

Julie didn't even attempt to park her car in an actual spot; she pulled right up on the curb in front of The Library and stormed up the steps. Thoughts about what would happen to her car was the last thing on her mind. She tugged at the door, kicking it when it wouldn't budge for her. Her eyes glanced side-long at the panel next to the door. She placed her palm against the panel feeling the warmth pass over her hand. She thought she heard a click when she tried the door again, it opened easily.

“What the hell?” she asked herself out loud looking down at her hand after entering the building. The first floor was completely empty, the tables still unused. “Is anyone ever here?” she asked as she headed towards the stairs. She easily and quickly ran up them and glanced at the rows of books. She started jogging through looking down each aisle as she passed, hoping to see Kevin in any one of them, but at the same time terrified she would run into him.

The stacks were empty but there were plenty of doors for her to check behind. Before she tried doors she wanted to check the last floor, she hadn't gone up that flight before. She went slowly up the stairs, unsure what to expect on the third floor.

Long rows of tables with lamps were located there but the biggest shock was that there were actually people sitting at the table poring over books. “Hello,” she called out, but nobody answered her, they didn't even look up. She started walking towards one of the tables where a dark skinned, athletic looking woman sat; she had lifted her head from the book and looked to be pondering something.

“Hello,” she repeated again to the the woman, and when she still didn't respond Julie stood straight in front of her. “What gives?” She asked in frustration, hands on her hips.

“They can't hear you,” a voice across the room called out to her.

Even though the room had people in it, Julie still jumped at the sound of the voice. “Who's there?” she called out, squinting to see. Why did this place always seems so dark?

“I've been expecting you,” the man moved closer to her, she was able to see that he was wearing a ball cap, sunglasses perched on top waiting to be used if the man ever saw enough to make use of them.

“Who are you?” she asked again.

“Name's AJ,” he answered giving her an awkward looking smile.

“AJ,” she whispered to herself instantly remembering the look in Howie's eyes when he said the name and the look Nick gave her when she brought him up.

“How were you expecting me?” she asked, she was really starting to hate being around time travelers. “Are you a volunteer like Kevin and Nick?” She asked.

The man shrugged, now standing directly in front of her. “Yes and no.”

Julie rolled her eyes, this guy was being even more cryptic than Nick and Kevin combined. She was sick of it. “Would you just drop the bullshit and tell me what the hell is going on?”

“I was asked to be here to give you the answers you are seeking. The person who asked me to be here knew that when you didn't find anyone here you would leave. I was asked to give you some answers so here I am.” AJ held his arms towards a table away from the rows of other tables.

Once Julie was sitting she though he would start talking, but he sat looking at her with his goofy half grin, watching her. “So tell me,” she demanded.

“I'm afraid I'm going to sound cryptic again,” He laughed and the first real smile broke out on his face. Julie felt comfortable sitting across from him, she didn't feel the desire to reach out and touch him, to hold him as she did when Kevin was around, nor did she feel slightly uneasy as she did around Nick. “I can only answer what you ask.” He finished.

Julie couldn't stop the eye roll that she found herself doing after he said that. She had questions, but what to ask first? She looked over at the tables and the people who couldn't see or hear her. “Who are they?”

AJ looked in the direction she indicated and answered simply. “Volunteers.” He turned back to her stopping the next question on her lips. “They can't see or hear us because they are not in this time. What you are looking at is like a recording of the library's activities.” AJ stood and walked over to the woman Julie tried to talk to and poked the image. It fluttered before the date '2033, May 16' appeared. He moved to a podium not far and pushed a button, the library plunged in darkness before lights illuminated around her. The tables were now empty.

Julie waited for AJ to return to his seat across from her. She wondered what the point of being able to see when people used the library.

“The only catch, it only sees the people at those tables.” He let out an uncomfortable chuckle. “The Librarian can actually interact with those people, when he is in, and help answer questions about research materials.” He held up her hands at her obvious confusion. “I can't explain it anymore; even I don't understand the connection.”

“Tell me who the rogue volunteer or volunteers are,” she didn't ask, she needed to know.

AJ shrugged, “I can't answer that, it's something you have to figure out yourself. But trust yourself, you already know.”

“Who am I supposed to help?”

“You save someone from being lost. It's all the person who sent me told me to say.” He held up his hands in surrender before she could pressure him for more information.

“How come I could get in this building?” Julie asked.

AJ didn't even answer the question, he only looked at her and raised his eyebrows at her as if to say 'you should be able to answer that one without me.'

“Kevin though you were the guy who brought me back to finish his case. Are you two close?” Why the hell was she wasting her time asking questions about his relationship with Kevin? She wanted to smack herself, to rewind and ask a different question.

“He's a mentor to me, but a little friendly competition never hurt. I have completed some of his cases before, but only after...” He stopped himself short and suddenly looked uncomfortable. “I need to go, it's about time for Kevin to return and he shouldn't see me here.” He stood, pulling Julie up with him. Without knowing why, he pulled her into a huge hug. “Good luck,” he whispered before fiddling with the dial on his device and disappearing.

Julie stood in the now empty library and fiddled with her keys. “What the hell am I supposed to do now?” She got to ask questions but none of the answers helped. Kevin told her to talk to him, she ended up meeting AJ and Nick was off getting her a time travel device to help him stop Brian. Sometimes she wondered if this was all a dream and she really was still in that tiny cell waiting for the pyre to be built so she could be burned.

AJ had said Kevin should be there soon, should she wait for Kevin. She started down the stairs and thought it best that she talk to him too. He had, after all, asked her to talk to him. She only made it half way down the second flight of stairs before she saw Kevin throw the door open and come waltzing in, Brian tagging along behind. She ducked down in an attempt to hide behind the handrail.

“Kevin, I just need your help a little longer,” Brian was pleading.
“Brian, I told you I would help you the once. You knew what the job entailed when you joined up.” Kevin replied, a grim look on his face.

“Kevin, I know you like to follow the rules, but you said your latest case was resolved and you don't have any more cases. Can't you just help me out?” Brian continued to plead.

“Alright, because you are family,” Kevin added, Brian's smile broadened and he adjusted the device on his wrist and was gone.

She couldn't believe what she just heard, she knew they related but to hear Brian begging Kevin to help. Kevin definitely had his qualms about helping but he was still helping. She couldn't believe that it was looking more and more like Kevin and Brian were both rogue volunteers.

She was so wrapped up in her thoughts she didn't see Kevin standing in front of her. “And how the hell did you get in? Only volunteers can access The Library.”

Chapter 16 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Are these the real answers?

“We need to talk,” Julie started, ignoring his comment about how she got into the building.

“Talk?” He asked sitting next to her on the step. “I knew it was a bad idea not to get your first jump information.”

Julie sighed. “You still trying to get that too?” she asked frustrated over the whole thing.

Kevin flicked his hand in the air. “It's not important. What did you want to talk about?” he asked staring straight ahead.

Julie looked at Kevin's profile. To have seen him this morning with some gray in his hair looking older to know, looking younger was still strange to Julie. His eyes now did not have the same look to them, there was a gentleness lacking when he looked at her now. Something changed in him over the years leaving the hard Kevin she saw sitting next to her now in the past.

“What was that conversation with Brian about?” she finally asked.

“You heard that?” Kevin seemed embarrassed by her question.

“Yes,” she answered looking at him expectantly. “So...” she prodded after a few minutes sitting in silence. Not that she minded watching him in the silence.

“Fine,” Kevin spoke and turned towards her. “Brian asked me to cover for him so he could have a few days with his wife for the birth of their son. I obliged but...” Again Kevin looked embarrassed. “...I hate being on such a mundane mission, so when his time was up he came begging for more time. I know I should, he's got a new family, but it's boring being here.” Kevin rubbed his forehead, avoiding Julie's gaze.

She was shocked that he would admit this to her and she watched him in silence for a few moments. “Wow, you are kind of a jerk.” She scooting over and bumping his hip.

“I know,” he admitted. “Are you going to tell me how you got in?”

Julie waved away the question since she herself didn't know, or understand how she got inside, but instead continued with her own questions. “Is there a rogue volunteer inside the project?” She asked. No pint trying to second guess herself any longer, she just ended up with headaches when she tried to do that. She wanted answers and she really wanted Kevin to be the one to tell her.

Kevin looked at her, apparent shock on his face, his mouth open slightly, staring at her.

Julie nodded. “I take it by your reaction that there is and you now want to know how I know. I'll tell you this, I have a resource but I won't say who right now until I have some more answers. I have had a very confusing couple of days and I just want to know what is going on and why I'm being drug into it.”

“What answers?” he asked.

“What is Brian's mission?” Julie looked him square in the eyes searching for any hint, any reaction that might give him away as working against the project, working with Brian as a rogue volunteer. As usual, this Kevin's eyes were hard to read.

Kevin sighed and stood, moving to a sitting area with chairs that looked more comfortable than the steps. “Come over here with me, take a seat, and I'll answer.”

She followed him over and took a seat. She was only sitting for a couple of minutes before Kevin hoisted her up and wrapped his arms around her. She breathed in his scent, relishing his arms being around her. She didn't even notice when he turned the device on his wrist didn't realize until the heat flooded through her indicating a jump.

When the feeling went away, she pulled out of his arms and slapped his chest. “How dare you!” she screamed at him.

It appeared that they were still in The Library so she ran for the door, but Kevin was faster. “Why did you bring me here,” she yelled. It was obvious they jumped, she felt it, but to when she still didn't know.

“You demanded answers, so I brought you here.” Kevin caught the attention of a young woman walking towards the stairs, obviously avoiding the twosome.

“Erika, I need you to do me a favor,” he walked closer to her and spoke in low tones. Julie strained her ears to try and hear what it was he was telling her, but only caught “2012” and “Charles”. The young woman, Erika, nodded and turned in another direction. “Oh, and Erika,” Kevin shouted after her. “Take Steph, things are likely going to get worse.” The woman waved her hand in the air acknowledging his order.

“I hope they get there quick, leaving Charles alone right now appears to be more dangerous than we originally thought.” He turned back towards Julie and held out his arms. “Julie, welcome to Chronos Project.”

“Our original and most important mission was to find displaced persons and return them home. Over the span of only a couple of months one of the younger volunteers decided that he knew better than our directors and founders. He talked about repairing time, fixing wrongs to make the world better. Dr. Dorough and a few others took him aside and explained why what he wanted to do was wrong. He agreed, seeing the error in his logic.” They were walking now, through that mysterious door on the first floor, and onto stairs that led down. Julie had to walk faster than she was used to just to be able to keep up with the taller man.

As they descended, Kevin continued. “We thought it was over, and it probably would have been too, if I hadn't done what I did.” He stopped briefly and turned towards her, his face had an awkward smile but Julie could see the sadness in his eyes. She couldn't help but wonder what it was that he'd done. When he started talking again, he obviously wasn't going to tell her either, yet.

“There was a mission to find a displaced girl and we discovered that she was in China. We sent the volunteer after her and a couple of days later he stated he completed his assignment. He was assigned several more cases, each one he claimed he completed. He was becoming our most successful volunteer. With so many successes though it was only a matter of time before a time auditor was assigned to look into some of his cases to make sure he was completing them according to procedure.” They reached the door at the bottom of the stairs and Kevin held it open for her.

Julie was somewhat amazed to hear that they had time auditors. It impressed her that they would take the time to make sure that history was not changed due to someone stepping on a butterfly, or if something was altered, she hoped they would attempt to fix it. She turned her attention back to Kevin as he continued to speak.

“What was discovered in the audit was unsettling. You see,” Kevin stopped and turned towards Julie, “our devices let us go back in time, but if we spend a day away, a day of our actual normal time will also pass for us. It was supposed to be a check point for us, a way for us to travel but not age years. To look forty when our family thinks we are thirty-five.”

Chills crept down Julie's spine and spread to every limb of her body. He mentioned family. Thoughts of him telling someone he loved them came rushing back and her heart broke. She focused back on the words coming out of his mouth to avoid thinking about it any longer. They continued walking.

“This volunteer, well, he found a way to bypass that. The auditor found tiny fluctuations in his jumps indicating the alteration. Turns out, a couple of days to us could be several years to him. He would come back to make it look like he was gone two days, when really he'd been gone years. By the time the auditor discovered this, the months that had passed for us were years for him. We didn't know, and still don't know exactly what he is up to.”

“I don't understand, you said something you'd done helped send this volunteer rogue.” Julie stopped him from their seemingly aimless walk down the hall. She glanced sidelong and noticed it was the hall she walked down with him in the further future.

“He doesn't really like to talk about that,” Dr. Dorough said as he walked towards them from the other direction. “So is this the young lady that was smart enough to send you that letter?” Kevin's only response was a nod.

“Hello,” Howie turned towards Julie. “I am Dr. Dorough, but you can call me Howie.” He reached out his had in greeting.

Julie took his hand and smiled. She was glad to see Howie again even if he didn't know she'd met him once before. “Julie,” she introduced herself.

“You have made quite a stir around here.” He spoke motioning for both of them to follow.

“How's that?” She asked. She didn't mean to ruffle feathers, she just wanted answers.

“You are the first displaced person that found a way to contact their volunteer from the past. You are the first displaced person to make their way back to their own time without any volunteers help, at least of the ones I talked to.” Howie opened a door to a room and motioned for her to enter.

“Am I in some sort of trouble?” she asked suddenly concerned seeing the room with only a table and three chairs. An interrogation room.

Howie shook his head as she took a seat, Kevin and Howie sitting across from her. “Kevin says you won't say how you returned.

Julie shook her head. “I can't.”

“We've never known of a displaced who kept their memories, meaning no first jump information.” Howie continued.

She could only continue to shake her head. How would she be able to tell Howie that he was the one that allowed her to keep them? “I can't tell you how.”

“Kevin says he's found you outside The Library.” Howie had information flowing. It was very much starting to feel like an interrogation to Julie.

“Today I found her in The Library,” Kevin added.

“Really? In The Library?” Howie turned to her and smiled. “Who let you in?”

Julie stared at the men emotionless. “I let myself in.”

“You show up there, you have knowledge about our project no other displaced has had, and I assume by the bit of conversation I heard on the way down, you know about the rogue volunteer. You can see how this looks for us.” Howie concluded.

“You think I am working for the rogue volunteer?” she asked, though she knew by the questioning that they did.

“We know he is recruiting, we know some displaceds and volunteers have joined him.” Kevin spoke this time. Was that disappointment in his eyes when he looked at her?

“I cam to The Library to confront you, I had reason to think you were working for the rogue volunteer.” Julie pointed to Kevin.

“I most definitely am not working with him.” He looked appalled that she would even consider it, and he added with venom. “He knows I'd never work with him, he hates me.”

“Why?” Julie asked trying to keep concern out of her voice and keep it mono-toned.

Kevin looked down at his hands but Howie answered. “It's not important at the moment. We actually brought you here to request your help.”

“I thought you thought I was working for him.” Julie was confused, again which was nothing new in her life recently. “If I was working for him, maybe this is all a ploy to get you all to give me information to help him.”

Howie shook his head. “We believe he is using you to get back at Kevin. I am sure you know who we are talking about by now?”

Julie nodded. “Nick,” she answered, more sure of herself than she'd felt in a long time. Though Nick wanted her to believe it was Brian, he just didn't fit. Nick though, with all his pleas for help from her, she never felt like she was getting the whole picture from him.

“What do you want me to do to help?” she asked, resigned that if she didn't help them they might keep her here or worse, get her first jump information by force and return her to a life devoid of the experiences and worse, devoid of Kevin.

“Play along.” Howie answered.

End Notes:

Finally! Julie gets REAL answers.

Chapter 17 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Stuck in the middle.

Julie paced the floor in her apartment waiting for Nick to return She couldn't believe she agreed to do what Howie and Kevin asked her to do. She still saw their faces in her mind when she closed her eyes.

“We have a feeling he's contacted you.” Howie had continue after asking her to play along. “You have knowledge beyond what you should have acquired on your own.”

Julie protested. “I found out about The Library on my own, I found Charles and Brian on my own. I even found a way to make it back to my own time with all my memories. I am a resourceful girl.” She didn't know why she suddenly felt the urge to protect Nick, even though she felt what they said was true and he was guilty, he was the rogue volunteer.

“I brought you back here because you were asking about a rogue volunteer and Brian's mission while 'in' the library. I'm going to ask again, how did you get in?” Kevin narrowed his eyes at her. She felt as if he didn't fully believe what she was saying, she couldn't blame them, she couldn't give them explanations for half of what they asked. Still, she believed him about the impossible early on, why couldn't he believe her now?

She narrowed her eyes back at him, “I opened the door,” she answered her voice stoic. She was starting to wonder how she ever developed feelings for him he was infuriating.

Howie held up his hands to silence the duo. “Kevin, let me handle the questions. Julie the point is you were questioning things that only volunteers or the rogue volunteer himself are privy to. Since none of the volunteers would purposely contact you after you'd been returned, and give you this information we concluded that Nick has contacted you.”

“Yes, he contacted me asking for my help. He said he was going to get me a device.” She shrugged.

“We are not sure what his intentions with you are, but you are one of Kevin's cases so that automatically makes us wonder what he is planning. We have no idea how many volunteers he has working on his side but we suspect there are a few within the project itself gathering information.” Howie informed her. Perhaps this was the reason for the little room, a secure area to speak.

“So you want me to continue to act like we have not had this conversation?” She asked.

Kevin and Howie both nodded but Howie spoke. “We know this is asking a lot of you, but you are our best chance.”

“Why can't you get another volunteer to pretend to defect and inform on him?” She asked. She was really getting sick of being used.

“We fear that if a volunteer approaches him he will be automatically suspicious and it would take too long for them to convince him that he was on their side and to get any pertinent information from him and even then he could feed false information in an attempt to flush a spy out.” Howie shrugged. “You are our best bet. He doesn't think you've had contact with us and we believe he wants so badly to get you on his side that he will ignore any warning bells he might get with a volunteer. It's a lot to ask of you, I know, and if we had another option we wouldn't put you through this.”

“What do I get if I help?” Julie asked crossing her arms. She was not about to put herself purposely into danger and not get anything out of it.

“You can keep the past five years of your life,” Howie sounded harsh for the first time during their entire conversation.

Julie shook her head. “Threaten to take away my life and I will join with him, because with him I know I will keep the memories.”

“What makes you think we will let you leave here if you don't agree to this?” Howie asked, the harsh tone still in his voice. Julie stared him down, neither wanting to budge on their stance.

Julie could see out of the corner of her eye that Kevin was just watching the two of them, looking back and forth between Howie and herself. She chanced a brief glance in his direction, their eyes meeting for a moment. It was all she needed.

“I'll do it,” she sighed in resignation.

Howie grinned from ear to ear, happy that he'd won out. “Thank you.” He stood and turned to leave. “Kevin will be your contact since you are familiar with him already. I'll leave him to give you any more information you might need.”

One look from that man and here she was throwing herself into danger. She was sure his eyes were pleading with her to accept. Why would he want her to accept this mission, she only had a couple of hints to Nick's anger and she was sure it could get a lot worse.

“Julie,” She could hear Nick calling from outside the door.

“Showtime,” she muttered as she opened the door and smiled. “So glad to see you have given up on sneaking up on me and used the door for once.”

Nick laughed and ruffled her hair. “I have the papers here for you to fill out.” He handed her the papers and the first item she saw was 'describe your first jump.' “And here is your device.” He handed her the wristwatch looking device and watched as she put it on.

“Now don't lose that or you will be stuck in whatever time you were in. Chances of getting rescued are slim.”

“Wouldn't you be able to research and look for me in the history books in The Library?” She asked playfully.

Nick's eyes felt like fire as he glared at her. “I don't recall mentioning The Library to you, how do you know about it?”

Julie felt her heart beating rapidly in her chest, but then she remembered how she first heard about it. “Kevin mentioned it to me when he first found me.” She watched Nick's face go from angry to relieved in a manner of seconds. “You seem on edge,” she moved closer to him and started to rub his shoulders.

She relaxed more when she heard him moan. “I needed that, thanks. This whole mission has me on edge. I keep thinking that the rogue, that Brian, is on to me and is trying to get to me through my friends and loved ones. He took her hands in his and stared into her eyes. “Are you ready?”

“Ready?” she asked.

“Yes, we need to have you practice using your device so you know exactly how it works.” He grinned playfully at her, “Unless you had something else in mind,” he leaned down and kissed her gently.

Despite what she knew about Nick, despite what she was there to do she couldn't help it when her body shuddered in response to his kiss. She leaned into him more opening her mouth slightly to allow his tongue inside. The look in Kevin's eyes flashed through her mind and she pulled away in response.

“Sorry,” she apologized to Nick. “We should really get started anyway right?”

Nick nodded in agreement. “Yes, lots to learn.” They sat down on the couch next to each other as Nick started to explain the basics of the device. “The outside dials control the month and date that you want to travel to. It's pretty self explanatory, outside dial has numbers one through twelve, inside dial one through thirty-one.”

His head was bent so he didn't notice Julie look up at him quizzically. She probably could have figured this device out on her own, it didn't seem that complicated at all. She knew he was going to talk about the two knobs on the outer rim controlled the year which was on the face. You turned it until you got to the year you wanted. The big button on the opposite side of that, well that was the one she remembered Kevin pushing when they came back to 2012.

“That's the dial, that's easy. But you should know that every day you spend in another time, counts as one day of your life in your regular time.” Nick was looking up at her now.

She caught herself before she mentioned the fact that he managed to manipulate the device so he could be gone years but seem like only a couple of days, instead she decided to ask about it. “Couldn't you just turn the watch back to the day before and make it look like you were only gone a couple of hours?”

“You could, but then your atoms might be torn apart and you would cease to exist.” He tried to hold a serious face, but was soon grinning like an idiot at her.

“Is that for real or are you being a jerk?” She smacked him on his arm, a little harder than she intended but he didn't notice.

“There are consequences if you break it, oh and you can't go into the future. Since the program is currently in 2030 that is the furthest into the future you can go.”

Julie nodded in understanding, the information wasn't that much of a shock to her but she let it settle in. “What about setting the place? I know that if I'm in California I can travel to Colorado in another time, how do I set that?”

Nick looked at her funny but started to explain how that part of the device worked, it was more complicated than the time portion and she was started to wonder who they got all the mechanisms needed in the one small wrist device.

“So what's the first thing we are going to do now that I can travel through time?” She hoped she was pulling this off, she hoped she was looking at him with affection.

“I didn't want to tell you this, but now since you are helping and I feel I can trust you, I have reason to believe that Kevin has joined with Brian as a rogue volunteer.” Julie tried to look shocked at the information. “Our first jump will be to the year 2027, the year the project recruited Brian and Kevin as volunteers, we are going to stop them from joining.”

Chapter 18 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

How is Julie going to detour him? Will she change history in order to "play along"?

Julie's heart skipped a beat after hearing what Nick was requesting she help with. Keeping those men from joining the project could ultimately change the course of events and where would she be if Kevin didn't come after her? Would another volunteer succeed in obtaining her first jump information? Would she never be found and continue jumping until eventually one of the jumps killed her?

Her mind raced trying to think of a way to get Nick away from this idea but her mind was blank, nothing was coming to her.

“Ready?” He asked taking hold of her wrist, his grip was slightly tighter than Julie thought necessary.

She had no reason why she shouldn't go and she couldn't think of a way out of it so she had to continue to play along. “Sure,” she did her best to smile like nothing was wrong. She set her dial to the date and place Nick showed her already on his and thought about seeing Kevin the day he joined the project. Holding her breath, she pushed the travel button and felt heat spread throughout her body, a slight queasiness coming over her when they jump was complete.

She looked around trying to adjust her eyes to the area, ready to bolt into hiding. It was an instinct left over from the days when she had no control over jumping, or at least thought she had no control over jumping. She relaxed slightly when she saw Nick standing a few feet away from her. They were standing down the street from the warehouse, the alley they were in reminded Julie of the alleys in crime shows where the body would be found at the beginning of the show.

She was anxious to get moving but Nick was standing still, his eyes focused on the building down the way. “That's it,” he pointed to the warehouse. “That is where volunteers were asked to come to.”

“Did you have any idea what it was you were volunteering for? How did they advertise the need for volunteers?” Julie was suddenly curious. How did the project recruit people to jump through time and search for missing persons?

Nick shrugged. “I don't know how Kevin and Brian got recruited but Dr., well Charles, was one of my professors. We would get into discussions about time travel and the possibility or impossibility of it. One day he asked me if I wanted to see time travel work. I was curious and I wanted to believe time travel could be possible. I came with him, here, and well, as soon as he showed me that it worked I wanted to be part of the project in any way possible. I worked in The Library for two years researching, looking for possible displaced persons and then finally in twenty twenty-nine I was asked if I wanted to work on my own case files, I had proven myself.” Nick turned to look at her and smiled briefly before turning to look back at the building.

“There,” he tapped her shoulder and pointed to the car pulling up. They watched as a middle aged woman stepped out of the car followed by Brian and soon after Kevin. “I still remember the day they arrived. I'd only been assisting Charles for a couple of weeks. Brian and I hit it off right away, fast friends. Kevin, he acted like an older brother to me from the beginning.” Julie noticed the hint of sadness in his tone as he talked. “For them to betray me the way they did...” Nick shook his head staring straight ahead.

“Nick, if we stop these two from joining, how will that affect you?” Julie asked, the sadness he had in his voice had her getting closer to him, wrapping her arms around his shoulders.

She could see his eyes glossy with tears but his face showed a fierce determination, almost as if he was willing them not to fall. Julie hated to admit to herself but she liked seeing the vulnerability in Nick.

“Brian helped train me and Kevin helped convince Howie and Charles to let me start taking on missions.” His head was bowed.

“I can't do this,” he mumbled. “If they are not there, I have guarantee that I will get to search for displaced persons. It won't be for sure that...” he shook his head and leaned against the wall, slowly sliding down the wall until he was sitting on the pavement.

“What you must think of me,” Nick muttered.

Julie actually liked this Nick more. There was a strange attraction to him before, but now she was starting to see the sensitive side and she liked it. It also left her wondering even more what had happened to lead him down the path to being a rogue volunteer. 'We thought it was over, and it probably would have been too, if I hadn't done what I did.' She remembered Kevin saying, now she desperately wanted to know what it was, but who could she ask?

“We should go before we are spotted,” Nick dialed her device and hit her button before she could protest. After her vision cleared she realized she was back in her apartment, only a couple of hours had passed. Nick was nowhere to be found. She waited a couple of minutes for him to show up and when he didn't, she decided to get something to eat. She'd been lucky that Nick grew a conscience before he tried to stop Brian and Kevin from becoming volunteers.

“Did you make one for me?” Nick's voice came from behind. She had gotten so used to his style of entrance that she didn't even jump this time. She put the top slice of bread down on both sandwiches and handed one to Nick.

“Were you expecting company,” he smirked.

“Only you,” She smiled back.

“Tell me more about what you know about Brian and his plans,” Julie wiped his mouth and took a drink waiting for an answer. Maybe he would slip and give her some information she could give to Kevin; she had her first check in that night and thought how wonderful it would be if she could give him something and then she could be released from this assignment.

“We don't know much, just an idea of what he is wanting to accomplish. He's always wanted to do the right thing and he believes that he can change history to reflect what he thinks is right.” Nick shrugged.

“What kinds of things?” Julie asked.

“I know if I was trying to change history I might stop Hitler from starting the holocaust, maybe keep Martin Luther King Jr. from being assassinated. Brian could be wanting to do something like that, he used to talk about how wrong those events were and you could tell he wished he could change them.” Nick watched his hands as he talked; he hadn't even touched his sandwich.

“What made him go rogue?” Maybe the story he gave her for why Brian split off would actually be his story, she hated missing pieces to the puzzle and recently she always felt like she was missing pieces.

Nick stared out the window above the sink seemingly lost in thought. Eventually he answered, “What makes anyone disregard the rules to do what they think is right?”

Nick stood, leaned over and gave Julie a kiss before leaving. No explanation for where he was going, no time frame for his return. Julie did see the extreme sadness in his eyes before he left though. For the first time, her heart broke for Nick and she didn't even know why.

End Notes:

My shortest chapter, but sometimes a chapter just ends itself and any more would "ruin" it.

Chapter 19 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Julie needs to be more careful...

After several hours of Nick not reappearing at her apartment she decided to get ready for her appointment to meet with Kevin was drawing closer. They weren't sure how well their current arrangement would work, but Kevin needed further clearance to set up any other forms of communication. They were meeting at a McDonald's location this time around dinner. They concluded it would look the least suspicious and there would be plenty of people around.

Still surprised that her car had not been towed, Julie pulled into the parking lot and took a deep breath, inhaling the smell of French fries. The last time she had fries was the night she met Kevin for the first time. She entered and not seeing Kevin, stood in line to order something to eat. Nothing particularly looked that appetizing so she ordered some fries and a milkshake and proceeded to find a seat where she could watch the entrance.

Several minutes later she saw Kevin enter and look around. When his eyes fell on her, he smiled and made his way over to where she sat. He slid into the booth and looked at her expectantly.

“What did you find out?” he asked. She noticed his hand was on the table dangerously close to touching her own hand. It wouldn't take much of a movement for her to move her hand, to feel his touch.

“Nothing much, he mentioned changing history. We went back to the day you joined the volunteers in an attempt to stop you and Brian from joining but he couldn't go through with it. Said you were like an older brother and Brian was a good friend.” Julie glanced at her food and wanted to move it out of the way so she could grab hold of both of his hands as they sat there.

Kevin nodded his face blank. “We were all pretty close, Nick, Brian, AJ, Howie and myself. All of the other volunteers were sure that at least one of us would be left in charge the other four would have top positions when Charles and Jessica left.”

“How do you know it still won't happen, for you other four?” Julie asked, her finger slightly closer to touching Kevin's hand.

“I doubt it will. Brian was taken off of searching for displaced persons and put on his 'babysitting' mission for unintentionally helping Nick. AJ was demoted, when he was told of Nick's defection, he actually punched Charles. Howie and I remained relatively unscathed by his betrayal but just being friends with him left a mark on our records.” For the first time his eyes looked straight into hers. “I shouldn't be telling you this.”

“No, it's good that you did. I hate being a part of something and knowing absolutely nothing about it.” She smiled but he did not return it.

“You are not part of this. Once you give us enough information that we can go after Nick, you are going to return home and forget all about this and what you've done.” His face was stern but Julie could see a hint of concern in his eyes.

Julie could feel her temper flaring, why did he always do this to her? “I am a big girl Kevin and I think I can figure out what I want to do with my life on my own after this is over. And you better believe I will see this to the end, I refuse to be used and tossed aside.” She crossed her arms and sat back, her anger overcoming her desire to have the slightest bit of physical contract with the man sitting across from her.

Julie could see Kevin holding back his temper with her. They sat for a few minutes staring each other down, until Kevin's face relaxed, giving in. “I will see what I can do,” was all he said. “You should get home.”

Julie leaned forward and placed her hand back on the table, her pinky finger slightly bumping his hand. His reaction came as a shock, his hand instantly enclosed hers, his thumb running back and forth across the back of the hand. She watched his thumb for a few seconds and then looked up at his face. He stopped almost immediately and just held her hand. “Time to go,” he said helping her to her feet still holding her hand.

“Come back with me,” she whispered as they stood outside the door.

“I can't, what if Nick is there waiting for you?”

With their hands still entwined, Julie placed her free hand on his chest and looked up into his eyes. “Please,” she pleaded.

She could see the indecision in his face. “I'll make sure you get home safely, then I need to check on Charles. The agent I have watching him, Erika, says that he is driving her crazy.” He answered letting go of her hand and moving to her vehicle.

“Where is your car?” She asked as he stood waiting to be let into hers.

Kevin cocked his head to the side and looked at her like she just asked if the sky was blue. “Julie, I'm a time traveler, how would I get a car?”

“Oh,” she responded as she unlocked the car and got inside. She hesitated as Kevin slid in next to her. She sat staring at the wheel. She turned the ignition on and slowly started to back up and head back towards her apartment. She knew she should ask him more about Nick and why he turned rogue, but he was with her and she didn't want to upset him again and risk him bolting at the first chance he got. Instead, they rode in silence.

They sat in the car outside her apartment, neither one moving to exit the car. “Kevin,” Julie finally spoke. “There is so much I want to ask, so much I want to know.” She was turned towards him in the car, he was still sitting forward probably watching the apartment for any sign of Nick.

Kevin nodded his head but didn't acknowledge her statement. “You are home, I should probably get going.” Now he turned to face her, extending his hand to brush a strand of hair behind her ear. “Be safe,” he smiled taking one of her hands in his and bringing it to his lips. The heat from his lips caressing her hand shot a shudder through her complete with her stomach jumping into her chest. And then, just like that, he turned and exited the car.

Julie sighed and continued to sit in the car, her hands resting on the wheel. Julie watched her apartment from her car wishing she could turn the car back on, drive to Kevin, pick him up and drive away. Let someone else deal with this Nick mess. She had to squint her eyes in the sunlight but she swore she saw movement in the front window. 'Shit,' she thought to herself. 'Did Nick just see Kevin get out of my car?'

She flew out of her car and into her apartment. Nick was sitting on the couch watching television. “Where were you?” he questioned, not bothering to take his eyes off the television.

“I went to get food.” She held her keys in case she needed to turn around and leave quickly, but she moved closer and took a seat in an attempt to make it appear that she hadn't done anything wrong.

Nick's eyes stayed focused on the television. “Was anyone with you?” He turned to look at her briefly, his eyes said it all. He had seen them together and was now demanding answers. She had to think quickly.

“Nick, I know how it looks, but I was approached by Kevin. He was asking for my help, he wanted me to join them.” She shoved her keys in her pocket and moved closer to Nick, sitting on his lap. “I figured if they thought I joined with them, I could get some valuable information to relay back to you.” She started to entwine her fingers through his hair. She felt him begin to relax slightly and his hands found her breasts massaging them a little harder than he'd done before.

“I acted rashly and without discussing it with you first, but I didn't know they would approach me and I took the opportunity to be a double agent.” She smiled sweetly at him and hoped he couldn't read how panicked she really was. He turned his head towards her and she leaned down kissing his mouth.

'Please let him believe me,' she begged an unknown force as Nick's kisses intensified.

As if he heard her, Nick answered. “I want to believe you, I really do, but you will have to do something to prove yourself.”

Julie held her breath as he held her gaze. She hoped it was something that she could easily do without betraying herself or without giving herself to him again.

“Don't worry; it won't be complicated for you.” He stood, knocking her to the floor. He held out his hand to help her up. “I have a destination you need to take me to so we can clear this all up.”

Chapter 20 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

they arrive at their destination

Julie drove cautiously and slowly as Nick gave her directions, it didn't take her long to realize they were heading towards The Library, but she continued to play dumb and not lead on that she knew where The Library was. When they pulled up in front of the diner across the street from The Library, Julie broke her silence.

“Are you taking me out for pie?” She asked, her hands still clutching the steering wheel.

“No, I brought you to the building across the way.” She turned in the direction he was pointing. Sure enough, he was indicating The Library.

“What is that place?” She asked, releasing the steering wheel before her knuckles started to turn white from clenching.

Nick looked at Julie then back at the building. “It's the current headquarters for the volunteers.”

“You mean the rogue volunteers actually have a hideout that you are aware of? Why don't you just raid the place?” She asked hoping she sounded convincing that he would take her comments as her believing him and being on his side. Her questions fell on deaf ears; Nick was already exiting the car and going around to her side to open it. He gave her his hand to help her out, keeping hold of it as she shut the door.

“It's it dangerous for you here?” She asked as Nick started to drag her across the street. “What will happen if the rogue volunteers get a hold of you?”

“I have insurance,” He smirked and stood at the base of the steps.

Standing at the base, Julie looked towards the doors. What were they doing here exactly? Her palms were sweating and she didn't care if Nick felt the sweat on his own hand, she wanted to be released so that she could go home. Desperately she wanted to be in her bed, under the warmth of her comforter. She would even accept being her naïve twenty-two year old self again if it only meant she would be free of this situation. They stood there for only a minute or two, there was movement by the door, but notbody came out.

“I know you are there Kevin.” Nick shouted.

“What are you doing here?” His voice came out of the door, it was opened slightly but Kevin did not emerge. “Why did you bring her?” it was a question, but his voice made it sound more like a demand for answers.

Nick's grip on Julie's hand got tighter as he pulled her in front of him. He managed to maneuver it so that her free arm was locked between them and the wrist with the device was on the arm he was holding tightly to.

“What are you doing Nick,” she whispered.

“Just a test, relax.”

Julie could hardly relax, especially after he told her to. She was worried about what he was trying to do. Why was he holding her the way he was? Why did he make it a point to grip her arm with the device so tightly? Had he figured it out, that she was really working with Kevin?

Kevin's face now appeared in the doorway, followed by the rest of his body. He stood in the door frame and looked down on the scene below.

“I should come down there and take you into custody now.” Kevin threatened. Julie wondered why he wasn't. Why didn't he just come and get Nick and take him away, then she could be free.

“You know very well that if you come closer I will send this girl off into time, you would never see her again. You know I'd do it too, I've already done it once.” Julie started to panic. Her fear was now evident and she could not longer play it cool, she fought against Nick's grip, struggling to get get free.

“What do you want for her release?” Kevin shouted down.

Julie thrashed around more. Why was everyone on the street ignoring what was going on? A female was in obvious danger and nobody was even stopping to look their way. It was really time to move away from LA.

Nick laughed. “You know very well I can't get back what I really want. Instead I will take you, stranded in time. Then I will leave Julie in peace. I won't even come around and see her anymore.” Julie could feel his tongue lick her jaw line. “Shame too, she's a decent fuck.”

“Nick!” she heard Kevin yell, the anger apparent on his face.

Nick leaned in close to Julie's ear and spoke in a softer tone. “He doesn't like me mentioning we've fucked.” He laughed and turned back to Kevin. “So what's it going to be? Julie lost in time, or you?”

The few seconds that Kevin took to answer, seemed like a lifetime to Julie. “Let her go and I will go with you.” His face looked defeated as he answered. Julie's heart beat so fast, too fast. She knew that Nick had to be feeling her heart as he continued to hold her despite Kevin's agreement. Kevin couldn't be lost in time, she couldn't imagine her life with Kevin gone forever and every possibility that Nick would not keep his promise and he would continue to haunt her everywhere she went.

“Oh you don't know how happy that makes me to hear you say that. That you of all people would sacrifice yourself for one of your cases. How does it feel to be breaking a rule?” Julie looked up at Kevin as his face was still as stone, no emotion evident.

“You said you'd release her,” Kevin shouted back. “Release her and I will come with you.”

“You come down and then I will release her.” Nick laughed. Julie was starting to wonder if Nick was all there upstairs. He was sounding deranged.

“Kevin, no.” She screamed out to him but everything seemed to be happening in slow motion. She watched as Kevin started to walk away from the door and down the stairs towards them.

“Like I wouldn't want you to feel exactly what I feel every day of my life.” Julie watched in horror as Nick started to turn dials on her device. Kevin saw it too and started to run down the stairs.

“No!” she heard him scream out as Nick pushed the button her device. She felt him travel with her and when they arrived it only took him seconds to rip the device off of her arm and push her away.

“You left me no choice. Since I can't have your first jump, this will have to do.” Nick snarled at her before pushing his own button his device, whisking him away from her.

It took several minutes for her eyes to adust to the dark, but her nose adjusted much quicker. She could smell humans kept in close quarters using nothing but the hard ground for a bathroom mixed in with the smell of hay and body odor. She retched adding her own stink to the mixture. When her eyes adjusted, she was in a dark cell. There were no bodies directly near her but she could hear rustling in the corner of the cell.

“Shit,” she cursed aloud wondering what hell hole Nick brought her to.

“Who's there?” another voice came back at her. The tone and accent sounded more modern to Julie. She heard rustling and movement out of the back corner covered in shadows. A face peaked out, it looked different then the last time she saw it, and even though it was dark, she recognized the face.

“AJ?” She asked moving closer. She noticed he was wearing a tunic and his facial hair had been shaved off. The tattoos on his arms looked strange with him dressed so plainly.

“Do I know you?” He asked looking her up and down.

“It's me Julie,” She said as she chanced sitting down next to him, she'd been in dirtier places.

AJ only shook his head and stared at her blankly.

“How long have you been here?” She asked him, he didn't look too run down.

“Maybe a few hours? But who knows how long it's been for others.” He asked uncertain of himself. “I know someone came in here, speaking something that was definitely not English. They pushed me around, washed me up, changed my clothes, fingered my tattoos. They seemed confused by me, but I couldn't understand them.” She watched his shoulders hunch over. “Are you here to get me outta here?”

Julie showed her wrist where Nick yanked the device off her arm. “Unfortunately, no.” A noise outside the cell caused both the prisoners to jump. When nobody entered they both let out a sigh of relief.

“Did Nick bring you here too?” AJ asked her. She nodded in response, trying to keep the noise down in case someone was passing by. There was a chance nobody knew she was there and she'd like to keep it that way for now.

“You have no idea where we are?” Julie asked. Sure he'd been in the cell most of the time but he was out for a brief amount of time and she thought a volunteer would take in as much information as they could.

“There are several cells full of people, I saw several wreaths lying on a table in the room they cleaned me up in.” AJ answered as if he gave her all the information she could need.

“What does that have to do with anything?” She asked. Why would door decorations give her an indication of what time period she was in?

Before he could answer, the door to their cell slammed open and two men came in throwing words around that Julie couldn't understand. AJ stood up and threw himself in front of her attempting to block her presence in the cell. It was a galant try, but the men were no fools. They easily found her and started dragging her towards the entrance. She threw herself backwards trying to avoid being taken away by these men. She had no idea what they were capable of or what they intended to do with her.

She soon found herself in another room, a large wooden tub of dirty water in the middle. A wooden chair, a tunic and wooden sandals. The table with the wreaths that AJ mentioned was also in the room. The men pointed to the water and clothing and barked something at her. She had no idea what they were saying but from their gestures it appeared she was to bathe and change. She moved closer to the center of the room and looked around. The two men stood inside the door facing her. Privacy was out.

She knew from many past experiences that it was better to do what men wearing swords in their belts requested or ordered her to do. The style of clothing jogged a memory in Julie's mind and she instantly knew where she was and what was going to happen to her and AJ.

She could feel the men's eyes on her as she stripped down and sat in the tub. She cringed at the thought of who else or what else had been in that water before her. Once she splashed around to make it appear that she bathed she climbed out and quickly threw the tunic on. She quickly pulled on her underwear and hoped the men would let her keep those at least. As soon as the sandals were slipped on her feet, she felt the men's hands on her arms again pulling her back towards the cell. Thankfully she was thrown into the same cell she had previously occupied with AJ.

Once the men relocked the cell and moved away, Julie moved to the shadows and found AJ. “Slaves,” she whispered. “We are going to be sold as slaves.”

End Notes:

I decided to update even though I'm not done with the 3rd chapter ahead only because I should complete that chapter soon.  Thought I'd be nice and update. :)

Chapter 21 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Going, going...gone...

Julie felt unusually calm over the revelation that Nick stranded her to a life of slavery. AJ, on the other hand, was pacing the cell. He was speaking a mile a minute with theories and ways to escape. Julie was sitting, watching him go from one side of the cell to the other. In between ideas he would throw curses towards the ceiling directed at Nick.

After awhile, Julie got sice of the show. “AJ, stop please. None of this is going to help right now. Just sit down.”

AJ looked towards Julie and moved closer to her, sitting a few feet away. “You acted like you knew me. I didn't have a one night stand with you, did I?” Julie knew he was trying to take his mind off of the situation, she was fine with it, talking would be better than watching him pace and rant.

“No, we never slept together. I actually met you yesterday.” She laughed at the thought. She met AJ yesterday but when she saw him today he didn' tknow who she was. She couldn't help but let out a small laugh.

“What's so funny?” AJ asked.

“Nothing...” Julie paused for a second and thought about it. The AJ she met yesterday had to be from after being stuck here to be sold as slaves. “I met you yesterday...” she let out a laugh of relief and turned to look at AJ with a huge grin on her face.

AJ sat there looking at her confused, he probably thought she was a little crazy and was probably thinking he had crap luck being stuck with a crazy.

“Don't you understand AJ? You had no clue who I was today, but I met you yesterday and you knew me.” She was so excited she could hardly contain the grin on her face as she watched AJ process the information.

“Which means I go back in time at some point for your first meeting me me, which means,” he paused and his eyes got large as he realized what she was hinting at. He moved closer and pulled her into a tight hug. “It means wer get out of here,” He said as he continued to hold her tightly.

Their moment of elation was short lived as the door to the cell was thrown open and the three guards came in. Two guards reached for AJ and began to pull him out of the cell, the third grabbed Julie's arm and held tightly as he pulled her to her feet and led her through the door and through the passageway. They stopped briefly for another man to assess each person, but a wreath on their head and hang a sign around their neck.

When Julie's turn came the wreath was shoved down hard on her head, she could feel the branches poking into her skull. The man in front of her barked orders at her, she could only stare back in response. The guard still holding her arm pulled back her lips to show her teeth. The other man nodded and jotted something down on a piece of parchment.

The guard then lifted her tunic to her nick showing the other man the condition of the rest of her body. She left the older man's grimy hands groping her, squeezing her breasts like you would a piece of fruit. Julie couldn't understand the language, but she understood the tone the men were using. Jeers were jeers no matter what language they spoke.

When the paper was hung around her neck the guard next to her proceeded to pull her down the remainder of the hallway and shoved her outside. She moved her arms up to cover her eyes, protecting them from the brightness of the sun. She saw a few dozen people milling around, walking through the group of wreath covered heads. The guard stood Julie next to another female and then moved to a spot just outside the doorway to the tunnels.

Julie kept her eyes on the exit watching for AJ to emerge. Their eyes caught for a second and Julie could see his eyes flick to the spear in the ground nearby and back to her, she knew he had a desire to escape. Julie shook her head slightly, it would be worse for them if they ran. If they were sold into slavery, they had more of a chance of living to be rescued; running would surely end their lives.

Julie and AJ must have been the last ones to bring out as the auction started soon after AJ was put in place. Julie watched as bids were made, people were purchased. She started to wonder who would buy her, what her owners would be like.

When Julie's turn came she noticed they pulled AJ up with her, were they to be sold together? Perhaps their notes said they were idiots since neither one of them spoke understood the language. The murmurs of the crowd became louder when they saw the two of them up on the stage, Julie could only imagine what they must think of AJ with his tattoos up and down his arms.

Murmmurs rustled through the crowd as the auctioneer started to talk to them. Julie watched as rich looking men who had only purchased a couple of slaves between the two of them started motioning the seller. The talking went back and forth with a few different parties, prices growing as more and more bidders were silent. One of the rich men said something that made the crowd gasp. Julie wished she knew what they were saying. She knew it was barbaric but she wanted to know how much she was selling for.

Nobody spoke up after the man said whatever it was that made everyone gasp so the autioner pointed to him, and said the phrase Julie had heard over and over throughout the day. Then it was over, Julie and AJ had been sold into slavery.

To Julie's surprise, they were not tied together with the other slave the man puchased that day. When they arrived back at the merchant's house Julie was taken aback. She'd seen pictures of Roman villa's but to see an actual villa in ancient Rome was a site any historian would pay to see.

“What now?” AJ whispered

Julie shrugged as the man spoke with another man. From the way the other man acted towards their new owner, Julie assumed he was a slave as well. Possibly a slave with more power, but a slave none-the-less.

As the men talked, Julie looked around the atrium in which they stood and took in the sights. A small smiled broke on her face, the house was beautiful. She stopped when she noticed the silence, the man who purchased her was gone and the man he had been talking to was looking at her. He started to spew words at her and the other two. The other woman nodded and stood still. Julie noticed both she and AJ had same look, a deer in headlights.

“What are we supposed to do? I don't understand him.” AJ whispered.

“I don't know.” She whispered back.

The man smiled and said something towards them and then motioned for them to follow. He showed them around, where they would be working. The young girl was sent into the kitchen, a small cot in the corner is where she would lay her head every night. It appeared she might have something to do with starting the fires and keeping them going.

The man took Julie and AJ to another room with another slave. He said a few words to her and she rolled her eyes as she looked at them. The other man left and the woman approached them talking to them in one language and when they did not respond, tried a different one. Julie shook her head in response to the woman, though a few words sounded familiar to her in the second language.

The woman proceeded to show them what they would be doing. AJ appeared to be a gardener of sorts and Julie looked like she might be one of the slaves to the lady of the house.

They parted to learn their chorse in more depth and only saw each other that night at the slave dinner. Julie picked at the meat and ate a few spoonfuls of porridge. She was tired and it was starting to sink in what happened on the stairs of The Library. Nick took out his revenge on Kevin through her, but why?

When it was finally time to lay down for sleep Julie was too exhausted to let her thoughts distract her for long.

The next morning, Julie's mind was not on what she was supposed to be doing. She missed her cues several times and though her mistress seemed to be patient with her, she could see the anger brewing behind her eyes. She needed to find time to speak with AJ.

At the noonday meal she found him rubbing his hands.

“Sore?” She asked.

“Yes, I was not cut out for manual labor,” He asnwered grinning slightly. “Have you thought of anything to get a message out of here?”

Julie shook her head. Why did he think she was going to be the one to think of the plan? “Did you?” She shot back.

AJ's shoulders slumped as his head shook. “No. There has got to be something.”

Julie told him she would think about it more, but they needed to continue with their day or else be punished. Sending a letter sixty years into the future was one thing, but thousands of years? She had to think of something that would last, she had to find something that Kevin would know to look at. Thinking about Kevin brought the look of horror on his face as Nick pushed the button pulling them through time. Maybe Kevin would find Nick and find her before too late.

Chapter 22 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Julie adapts, AJ not so much and they prepare for a party

“Placeo quad libet,” Julie murmured to the lady of the house as she went to retrieve the blue, silk stola that was requested of her. It had been almost two weeks since Nick dropped Julie off and left her to be sold as a slave. She spent her days and most of the evening waiting on her Domina and in the few hours of sleep she received at night, she tried to think of any way to get a message to Kevin from ancient Rome.

AJ caught up with her as she moved into the room where the silk stola was laying out. “What the fuck did you just say?” Working in the atrium was not kind to AJ. Blisters covered his hands, his skin was red for the entire first week and he had many scratches up and down his arms and legs from the branches of the trees and bushes.

Julie did not turn to acknowledge him. Through a series of faces, hand gestures and angry words, Julie understood that she should not fraternize with the male slaves. She tried to only speak to AJ at night when no on else was around. “It means 'as you wish'.” she answered grabbing the stola and carefully holding it as she started to proceed back to her Domina.

“Have you thought of anything yet?” AJ hissed at her. “Or are you too busy adapting to their ways?”

Julie stopped and turned to face him. “Have you thought of anything?” she shoulted back. When she saw curious eyes stopping to look at them, she turned away and quickly made her way back to the room to help her Domina get dressed.

Julie procceed to help the woman remove her daily stola and slip on the new one. The woman chatted excitedly probably forgetting her slave didn't understand everything she was saying. From what Julie could pick up from her it seemed that they were hosting a banquet that night with some special guests. Julie heard Caesar thrown around and wondered if the emperor himself would actually be showing up. If so, it was definitely a grand occasion.

She bowed her head as her Domina spoke to her dismissing her to change her own tunic into the one for special occasions. She slipped the clean cotton over her head and fixed her hair into the style she knew she should adorn for the evening. When she was finished she went back to the lady of the house's chambers to await further orders.

She followed the woman into the vestibule as guests for the evening started to arrive. Julie's Domina turned to her and said something to her; Julie only looked at her blankly. The woman then indicated another slave washing the feet of the arriving guests. Julie took this as her cue to join in. she knelt on the floor and took a foot into her lap cleaning it and its partner in turn.

Another set of feet came towards her and she repeated the process. When she finished that set another pair came and stood in front of her. She took the first foot and started to wash it, noticing the color of the skin was lighter than the others had been.

“How are you enjoying your new life?” The all too familiar voice of Nick asked.

Julie's eyes shot up and stared at the man above her, a girn playing on his lips. He removed the first foot and gave her the second. She noticed he was dressed in the same manner of all the men that had arrived for the banquet.

“Don't look so surprised, I am a very popular person. I have many friends throughout the ages. This man, Marcus, did you know he owns several farms outside the city? Well I suppose not, you will have been busy here, slaving away.” Nick laughed at his own joke. “I did him a little favor and shared some beneficial information. In return, he agreed to house my enemies, as slaves of course. Win, win I'd say.”

“Why not just drop us off here, why put us through the auction.” She asked.

Nick laughed and pointed to his foot. “Can you please get that dust off? What fun would it be without the horror of not knowing what kind of master would buy you, fear is powerful Julie.” He crouched down in front of her, she desperately wanted to hit him but she didn't know how it would go over, Nick could leave and she was stuck here.

The thought of Nick leaving spurred Julie to glance at his wrist searching for the device.

“Do you think I'd be so stupid Julie?” He asked when he noticed what she was looking at. He sighed and turned her face towards his. “I hate to see you here, I really do. You are a pawn in a much larger game than you realize. I can still end this for you.”

“How?” She asked not sure she wanted to hear his answer.

“Tell me your first jump. This can all go away, not even a memory.” He smiled at her and moved closer to her lips. Julie flinched and pulled back afraid he was going to kiss her.

“What benefit is that to you? Why can't you just let me be in my own time? It's not like I can do anything to you or stop you, I'm not a volunteer.” Her glare was icy and she was aware that most of the party had moved towards the banquet hall at the back of the house.

Nick shrugged and stood up. “Like I said Julie, you are a pawn, a playing piece in a much larger game.” He turned to walk away. “Think about it will you?” He was halfway to the banquet hall before Julie stood and noticed he stopped and turned around. “Oh, and before I forget. I requested you to be my personal slave tonight.”

A look of horror crossed over Julie's face afraid of what he intended for her. She looked around searching for AJ but he was no where to be seen. She wondered what he might do if he saw Nick here.

The head of the slaves came running towards her yelling at her, she still couldn't understand anything this man was saying. He was flailing his arms, his face beet red. He motioned for her to follow and he took off quickly.

Julie had now found AJ. She was taken to the room where he was lying, blood coming from his nose, his knuckles, his lip and his arms. One of his eyes was already beginning to swell.

“What happened?” She asked flying to his side and taking the wet linen that was brought and clearning his wounds.

“Carter is here.” He grimaced. “Saw the bastard come in and talk to you. I started to fly at him, I was going to tear him a new one but unfortunately another man was faster and he knocked me around.”

Julie cleaned off some of the wounds, she could feel AJ tense as she washed around his eye. “What did he say to you?” He turned his good eye towards her.

“He told me that he could end my surffering and I could leave if I told him my first jump.” She shrugged and gently patted the cut next to his eye.

“Are you going to take it?”

Julie stopped and looked at him. “No.” She stated plainly. “I won't leave you here.”

AJ did his best to smile at her. “I have an idea on how to get the other volunteer's attention.” He tried to sit up in order to tell her but he was unable to and lay back down.

“How?” She asked masking her intense curiosity and excitement.

“When you get back, just promise me that you will remember me fondly.” He chuckled and lay back down on the pallet.

“What do you mean when I get back, we are going together.” She brushed AJ's hair back to sooth him.

AJ did his best to shake his head. “No, not after tonight.” His laugh was cut short when he coughed, a bit more blood coming from his mouth. “I did get a few punches in on the brute that did this to me. I'm sure it will be off to the Colosseum for me. But that's my plan, I will be written in the books and I know how to get Howie's attention.” He reached over and squeezed Julie's arm.

“This can't be the way, I met you, after this was over.” She said, she could feel the tears welling in her eyes.

AJ shrugged. “It'll work.” It was the last words he said to her before his head laid back down and his eyes closed. Julie watched his even breathing just to make sure he was alive before she made her appearance in the entrance hall. Nick watched her come in and tipped his goblet towards her before taking a drink.

She thought of AJ lying in the other room bleeding and willing to sacrifice himself so she could get rescued. She thought of Howie's eyes when AJ's name came up in brief conversation. Almost as if lightening struck her she realized exactly who Kevin was referring to when he told her to 'help him.' It was obvious now that AJ needed help, AJ needed to be rescued. With a new determination to get herself and AJ out of ancient Rome, Julie picked up the pitcher of wine and poured Nick another glass full.

End Notes:

I apologize for any confusion caused by the latin/roman terms I have thrown into this chapter. 

Chapter 23 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

The morning after... and a shopping trip.

The next morning after the party, Julie continued with her normal routine taking note that AJ was still not seen around the Atrium. She didn't see him as part of the group that was cleaning up the banquet room either. She started to worry about him but she had to accompany her Domina to the market that day to purchase some new material for tunics and stolas.

The day was a balmy summer day and the minute Julie walked into the market the heat from the day and the people jammed tightly together started to bother her immediately. She followed behind and was even honored by her Domina by being asked her opinion on a few materials and jewelry. As her Domina decided if she really wanted the gold bands at one stall, Julie scanned the crowd. She needed an answer to her problem and she needed it quickly.

When she looked back up she noticed her Domina had moved on. She quickly scanned the crowd trying to determine where she went. She didn't want to work for this woman the rest of her life, yet she knew that if it was preceived as he attempting to run things could get bad for her.

Julie pushed her way through the crowds, her eyes constatnly searching for her Domina. Before she could find her however, a cloaked figure grabbed her arm and pulled her into one of the alleys. Julie prepared to defend herself with the basket when the cloaked figure removed their hood.

“Julie I don't know if you remember me...” the woman started.

“Erika?” Julie questioned, relief washing over her.

The woman nodded. “It's good to finally find you.” The woman smiled. “Is AJ with you?” Her eyes were darting around searching for AJ, or watching for others to show themselves.

“He is back at the villa, he was locked up for hitting a guest last night.” Julie replied. “How did you find us?” Julie asked excited.

“I don't have time to explain that now.” Erika responded. “There are several of us checking many different times and places. We had no lead when AJ went missing months ago, but with your disappearence we were able to...” she stopped, her head shooting up towards the market. Julie could hear her name being called.

“Will you be able to get to the baths tonight after the household is asleep? We will take you home from there.” Erika squeezed Julie's hand as Julie nodded. The other woman pulled her hood up and turned the opposite direction, quickly moving away.

Julie turned and made her way back to the market, finding her Domina quickly. Her mistress slew several words at her, Julie only comprehending half of them, but she understood that her Domina was more scared bad men got her and not that she'd run off.

“Me miseret,” Julie apologized. Her mistress smiled at her and motioned for her to follow again. Julie continued to play along as they shopped despite the heat and her anticipation making it hard for her to concentrate on the task at hand. Finally, they finished their shopping trip and made their way back to the villa. Julie hoped that AJ would be amongst the slaves when she returned.

After arriving back, Julie had to attend the fullos who had come to gather the linens to be laundered. As she dealt with the men her eyes scanned for AJ finding him scrubbing the banquet hall floor. As soon as the men left she made her way over to him, busying herself with something so it did no appear that she purposely went into the same room to speak.

“A volunteer found me,” Julie whispered.

“What?” he asked.

“She found me in the market, pulled me aside and asked if we could get out of the house tonight and meet her at the baths.” Julie moved closer. “Have you found anything out?”

“I'm still here aren't I?” AJ scowled, he was in obvious pain as he moved the rag back and forth across the floor.

Julie smiled and shook her head. “Tonight then.” She whispered before returning to her other duties.

Waiting the remainder of the day was sheer torture for Julie. She was hardly able to stand still as she served her mistress through dinner. It seemed to Julie that the dinner was lasting far longer than usual and they didn't have any dinner guests that night. Soon after it was over, Julie found herself helping her Domina prepare for bed. The sky was already dark and many in the household were already asleep but the Domina was still chattering exciteldy about something, Julie could only pick out a few words. It sounded like in few short days the household would be moving to a cooler climate to spend the summer.

Julie stifled a yawn as her mistress finally climbed into her bed and released her for the night. She hurried from the room, the household was already asleep so she found her way to AJ's quarters. She rapped on the door, their secret knock for each other but she received no response. She tried again and still no response. Would he have left without her?

She stood outside the door a little longer wondering if she should go and at least explain to Erika that she needed another shot to get AJ. She started to head out of the villa when the thought struck her that maybe he wasn't in his quarters. She slid along the floor quietly reaching the room he was locked in after the party. Knocking quietly she heard a slight muffled reply.

“AJ?” She questioned.

“Go without me,” he muttered. “The door is locked and they have me chained. I think I'm being sold soon. Go before you lose your chance.”

“I can't leave you.” She wanted to scream it through the door but that would wake someone and ruin both of their chances.

“You can't get to me and they won't wait around forever. Go!” he demanded through the door.

“I will come back for you,” she whispered placing her hand on the door as if that would comfort him.

She pulled her shawl over her head and checked over her shoulder as she ran out of the villa and towards the baths. She was thankful she wasn't far, it would be easy to get lost and fall into the hands of men out to cause her harm. She arrived, smiling as she saw the cloaked figure standing near the entrance. When the figure noticed Julie she waved her over and Julie quickly moved towards her.

“Where's AJ?” Erika's voice asked.

“I couldn't get him out,” Julie whispered. “He's been locked up.”

Erika looked in the direction that Julie had come from with hopeful eyes. Saddness filled her eyes as she turned to Julie. “Well I have my orders to evacuate you and if AJ isn't here then I will just have to take you.”

Erika held onto Julie's wrist and pushed the button her device. Warmth filled her as they traveled through time. Julie turned to her travel companion when they arrived safe back in The Library and hugged her tightly. “Thank you,” She murmured. “I will save him.” It was Julie's turn to squeeze the other woman's arm.

Erika nodded and walked away. Julie swore she saw tears in the woman's eyes.

“It's only natural that volunteers begin to feel a special connection to each other and seek out each other. They understand what they go through, they understand the risks and part of their lives don't have to be kept secret,” a welcome voice from behind her came.

“Kevin,” Julie breathed his name out and turned to face the man she thought she'd never see again. “How did you find us?”

“Nick is still using his original device, the one he altered to bend the rules. Since we aleady have his frequency on file we started researching data his device still sent back to headquarters. Kevin told us that you jumped using your device so we started researching Nick's jumps that showed he jumped from somewhere but no evidence he jumped to the time using his own device. It took awhile but we managed to find this time period and it lined up with a jump made by Nick around the time AJ was taken.” He walked towards her and lifted his hand to remove the shawl from her head. She sensed hesitation from him as her head was revealed. He looked as if he wanted to push her hair back but dropped his hand without touching her head.

“We had several volunteers set up throughout the city maybe a week after you went missing. When Erika told us she found you,” Kevin paused and looked away almost as if he didn't want Julie to see his face. “AJ?” He asked.

“He assaulted a guest the other night. He was locked in a room and chained. I couldn't get him out. He thinks he might be sold, will possibly be sent to the Colosseum.” Julie could feel her eyes welling with tears now that she was safe, now that she was away from the situation. “I told him I would save him.”

“If you can track Nick through his device then why don't you just track him and show up where he is?” Julie asked. It would end all of this so much faster and easier

“Let me show you the computer that displays the data of each device we can track.” Kevin steered her to a screen that looked like the screen from The Matrix, numbers streaming across the screen. “That is what we have to work with. It takes our next best analyzer a couple days to interpret the data and by that time Nick is likely gone.”

“How fast can your best analyzer to it?” Julie wondered why they just didn't use him.

“It took him only a few hours. Nick was a genius with that code.” Kevin added looking away.

Julie stood awakwardly wondering what she could possibly say now. Her thoughts soon came back to AJ and him stranded in Rome. “I told AJ I would save him.”

Kevin nodded. “We could send you back with a device and a way to free him.” He gently placed his hand on her shoulder.

Julie nodded. “I am ready.”

“Right, we need to get Howie and Charles to approve it.” He smiled and directed her towards the stairs to the basement levels.

They arrived in the offices, a part of The Library Julie hadn't seen yet. Five desks filled the room, two men sat working diligently. She recognized Howie immediately. She squinted her eyes at the other man, but Charles still had the same messy hair and unkept clothing as he did in twenty-twelve.

“Julie,” Howie nodded in her direction.

“It's you?” Charles asked when he turned to face her. “I remember meeting you that day at the coffee shop.” He smiled and held out his hand. “Good to actually meet you.” Seeing the confused look on Julie's face Charles offered more information, tapping his head. “Photogenic.”

Julie nodded in response.

“She says she is willing to go back and help retrieve AJ.” Kevin interjected.

“I can't do that in clear conscience.” Charles held up her hand.

“Why?” Julie pleaded.

“You are not a volunteer, it is not your duty to rescue our own.”

“Then make me one.” Julie demanded of the older man. “I want to help, I promised I would help.” She paused for a few minutes before another thought flew in her head. “Nick was there, after he dropped us off. He came back and had dinner with the couple that owned AJ and myself. I want to help, I need to help.”

Julie could feel Kevin standing behind her, his placed gently on her back. “Sir, I believe it is meant to happen. Don't forget I found her in The Library, getting in when no one was there to let her in.”

Charles sighed and nodded. “I see your point Kevin. Let's get started then.” He stuck out his hand again. “Thank you for volunteering for Chronos Project.” He shook her hand and then wiped his own off on his pants. “Howie and Kevin will get you set up.” He turned away from her and back to his desk as the other three headed back down the hall towards the lab Julie visited in twenty forty-five.

Kevin's words rang in her ears. “meant to happen.” Deep down she knew this was always her path, that she was always meant to be in Kevin's world. She looked up at the man and quietly slipped her hand into his as they walked. He didn't pull away, the continued down the hall together hand in hand.

Chapter 24 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

there better not be anymore shots Howie .... and Kevin knows how to pick locks?

They reached the room and Julie hesitated to sit on the stool Howie indicated. She held tight to Kevin's hand and was comforted that he had not released her hand either. “What are you going to do to me?” Her eyes were wide as Howie turned back and looked at her.

“I have no record of you coming here so I don't know how you stopped randomly jumping, but from your reaction, you've been here before.” He winked and patted the stool again. “I promise no crazy injections this time.”

Julie hesitated but eventually let go of Kevin's hand and took her seat. She could see the two men exchange a look and Kevin turned from her, his face looking slightly ashamed. Howie held a clipboard in front of him and begain to shoot off questions dealing with; year of birth, medical history, and family history. When the questions were over, Howie grabbed what looked like an Ipad and held it out to her.

“Please place your palm flat against the screen.”

Julie complied and began to feel a warm sensation pass through her hand. “This....” she stopped unable to put into words the familiar feeling. She'd felt it when she jumped and she felt it when she had put her palm against the plate at The Library.

Howie nodded and spoke. “This will allow you access to The Library in any time, you simply press your hand to the plate next to the door. It will release the locking mechanism and you will be able to enter. Though, I believe you were already aware of this.” Howie's eyebrow arched as he asked her the question.

Realization struck Julie and she looked at Howie then to Kevin and finally down at her hand. “This has always been my future,” she muttered to herself though Howie nodded his head in agreement.

“It would appear that way.” Howie patted her shoulder and turned towards Kevin. “You can get her a device now.” Julie watched as Howie exited the room. She remained on the stool a few more seconds before turning to Kevin.

“Are you okay?” She asked him.

Kevin chuckled slightly. “You were just sold into slavery in ancient Rome and are about to go back to attempt a rescue of a volunteer as your first assigment and you are asking me if I am okay?”

Julie brushed a loose strand of hair behind her ear and smiled up at him. “You know what I've been up to, but after Nick forced me to jump what did you do?”

Kevin moved closer and took her hand in his. “I immediately went to work to find a way to get you home.” They stayed like that for a few minutes more, Kevin holding Julie's hand in his own their eyes locked together. It was Julie that broke eye contact and pulled her hand away.

“So about that device. I should get moving if I want to rescue AJ.” She stood from the chair and straightened out her tunic. She was going to have to wear the uniform of a slave girl for a bit longer.

They moved to the room the devices were stored in and she watched as Kevin gently attached the device to her wrist. “What did Nick mean when he asked you how it felt breaking a rule?” She asked him.

Kevin finished attaching the device and kept his eyes away from hers. “You know how to program this? How to use it?”

“Yes,” she whispered remembering the lesson Nick gave her. He still held her arm and finally his eyes looked up and met with hers.

“We have a rule that if you cannot save your displaced you leave. Never sacrifice yourself for one of them.” Kevin looked guilty after speaking the rule.

“Have you ever lost a displaced?” She asked.

Kevin cleared his throat and dropped her hand. “It's probably best you get going.” He turned to the table behind him and handed her some simple tools. “These will, hopefully, help you get AJ out. Have you ever used lockpicks before.”

“In my illustrious career as a cat burgaler you mean?” She rolled her eyes at him.

Crimson crept into Kevin's cheeks as he held the tools out to her. It was nice to see the man could blush. “Let me show you.”

They spent the next few minutes going over how to pick a lock. They hoped the Roman's didn't have advanced locks, with Nick giving them future knowledge they couldn't be sure what he had told them. She watched as Kevin meticulously worked, Julie had to concentrate on watching what he was doing instead of watching him.

“There,” he said turning back to her. “Do you think you can handle that?” He asked holding the tools out to her. She nodded and he locked the door again and moved out of the way so she could attempt to pick the lock.

After several attempts, Julie still could not unlock the door. Kevin crouched down behind her and wrapped his arms around her so that he could direct her hands. “There it goes,” he whispered in her ear sending shivers down her spine. “Try again.” He told her, though he dropped his arms she was very aware that his body was still right behind her.

When the mechanism clicked again signaling the door had been unlocked he placed his hand on her shoulder and gave a light squeeze. Julie stood and smiled at the man, happy she was able to catch on. She stood holding the tools in her hand and wondered where she was going to put them. Kevin advanced towards her holding an elastic belt. She nodded realizing that is what she was going to use. She was starting to wonder where that would go when Kevin pushed her up against the table and pulled her right leg up so that it rested on his waist. Slowly he pushed back the tunic, his fingers running lightly up her leg giving her goosebumps. She watched his face as he wrapped the belt around her thigh then took the tools from her and placed them inside.

Kevin looked up from what he was doing and caught her eyes. His fingers still resting on her thigh. She wondered what would happen if she leaned in and kissed him. Would he respond? Would it push him away?

“That's not too tight is it?” He asked, looking at the wall behind her.

She shook her head realizing his hand was still on her leg. “You do realize that if anyone came in here...” she stopped her statement as Kevin knew what she was referring to and removed his hand and moved so that her leg could fall back down.

“Are you ready to do this?” He asked.

“Ready as I'll ever be.” She sighed and started turning the dials on her device.

“Julie,” Kevin started and moved closer to her playing with a strand of her hair. “Put your device in that belt when you get there too.”

He stood over her for a minute or two longer, Julie sent vibes his way for him to just kiss her already but all too soon he was stepping away.

“Here I go.” She said as she pushed the button on the device hurling her back through time. She arrived just outside the door to the manor while it was still dark, the house was quiet except for a few slaves that maintained things during the night. She snuck past them with ease and once in her quarters she removed her device and placed it inside the belt, her fingertips brushing the lock pick tools.

Instead of laying on her cot she decided there was no time like the present to get to AJ and get them both out of there. It was not worth the risk to wait, what if he was gone by morning. She moved through the halls and stopped dead in her tracks. The door to the room AJ was locked in was wide open and it was very obvious that he was not inside.

With her heart beating rapidly in her chest she held out a hope that he had been returned to his quarters. She made it there and rapped quietly on the door, their special knock. When no reply came, rules be dammed, she opened the door and scoured the room for the familiar figure. She didn't see him, but one of the other slaves saw her. He began making erratic hand gestures and speaking slowly in hopes she would understand. She had understood enough.

Shortly after the household was asleep the blond visitor from the other night arrived and requested the locked up slave and her. They handed the man over but when they went to get her she was gone. A search of the house revealed nothing, guards were searching for her. She had better leave quickly and get away if she could.

Nick.

Now he knew that she had escaped and who knew where he had taken AJ now.

Chapter 25 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Julie follows a lead and gets some info

Julie looked around the house unable to will her feet to run. She knew she should just pull out the device and jump from this time before it was too late and she was captured for being a runaway slave, but she couldn't bring herself to leave the one place she knew AJ to have been. She made her way to the room he'd been kept in and looked around trying to find any information she could. Her search resulted in nothing.

Devastated, Julie turned to leave, a flash of yellow catching her eye. Her gut reaction was to hide behind the wall hoping it wasn't her mistress running to retrieve the guards. Unable to just stand there and let her fate be decided for her she quickly left the room and watched as the flash of yellow disappeared from the house and down the streets. The woman was defintely not her mistress though.

Even though her stola was nicer than a slave's, Julie knew the lady of the house would not wander these streets at night. Despite her fear of bandits and rapists, Julie followed the woman.

The woman she was following eventually made her way to the Temple of Jupiter. Julie hesitated to follow any closer, perhaps it was a trap. Eventually her curiosity overcame her and she went inside the temple. The woman was kneeling in front of a statue, her brown hair uncovered after the run. Julie hid inside an alcove watching the woman. She did not feel comfortable confronting her until she knew exactly what she was doing here.

After several minutes both women remained where they were in their spots. Feeling it was probably safe to talk to the woman; Julie started to leave the alcove but quickly turned back when she saw another figure enter, Nick. It took all she had not to rush the man and demand to know where AJ was, but she needed to have self control. Would he attempt to strand her in a time again? Would he figure out how they tracked her this time and avoid it to strand her in another time?

The two must have thought they were alone as they did not care that their voices carried throughout the temple.

“Did you find her?” Nick asked. The hair on Julie's arm was standing on end, she had a sense they were talking about her.

“She wasn't in her quarters; she was not in Fulvia's quarters either.” The woman's voice sounded like a child in trouble.

“Steph, you know how important it is that we find her. You reported that the others thought they had found her location. I need to move her like I moved AJ.” She watched as Nick brushed hair out of the woman's face.

Julie thought the name Steph sounded familiar but she wasn't sure where she'd heard the name before. She watched as the woman moved closer to Nick and as he pulled her into his arms. She remembered being in those arms, his arms holding her tight and giving her a sense of belonging and comfort. There was still a part of her that longed to be back in those arms, back in her apartment. Seeing another woman in his arms upset her and not only because she admittedly missed being in his arms, but did he pray on all the women like he did with her?

“Did you get AJ moved?” the woman asked looking up at Nick's face.

Nick nooded and released the woman. “I did. They shouldn't be able to find him now. I won't make the mistake of putting two nuisances in the same time period again.”

“Are you worried that AJ will get a message out? You put him in a pretty pivotal point in history. I mean sticking him in Washington's camp was brilliant but couldn't he easily find a way to get a message to the others?” Steph asked with a playful smirk on her face.

“Really Steph?” Nick said as he glared at her. “How many times do I have to tell you to keep your mouth shut?”

“I thought you said you liked it with my mouth open,” Steph smiled coyly at him as she advanced. “We are in Rome, I could be your Cleopatra my Caesar.” She walked closer to him slowly in an attempt to entice him.

“Not now,” He waved his hands in front of him and turned in Julie's direction. “You need to get back, find out anything you can on where Julie might be. Maybe she ran on her own and died out on the streets tonight, I doubt she is that stupid, but I have to know.”

The woman pouted at Nick but put her wrist up pushing buttons. Soon she was gone and Julie was left alone in the Temple with Nick. Part of her thought that Nick knew she was there and wanted to get rid of the other woman so that he could deal with her. Part of her hoped that he just wanted to get rid of the woman throwing herself at him so he could think. And part of her still wanted to feel his arms around her. She chastized that part of herself as she listened for any movement from Nick.

After a few seconds, she heard Nick begin to shuffle out of the Temple. When she watched him pass her and out into the night she made a split second decision to follow him. Maybe she would luck out and get more information on AJ or about the group of rogue volunteers. Julie already would be able to tell Kevin about a rogue within their walls.

Nick moved quickly through the streets and Julie had a hard time keeping up while sticking to the shadows. Being in the shadows reminded Julie of her life not long ago when she only dreamed about going home and never worrying about jumping again. Now she was volunteering to throw herself back through time to find a man she barely knew and stop a man she knew intimately but not really well.

Nick turned down several alley ways and Julie managed to find a spot where he stopped to watch him. She knew she was perfectly hidden so why did she feel like when he started to look around that he was looking for her?

His eyes fell on the spot she was crouched down hugging the wall in front of her. He started to move towards her hiding spot, she could feel her heart beating a mile a minute in her chest. How long should she stay crouched down before she ran, how long should she stay until she pulled her device out and jumped.

End Notes:

Love you Steph! ;)

Chapter 26 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Brian shows off his Librarian skills...

Even though the air still had a balmy feel to it, Julie felt a chill as she crouched in her hiding spot watching Nick advance closer to her hiding spot. A noise down the alley they came down caused Nick to look up and away from her spot. He squinted and turned, running from the location. Voices, male voices, coming closer kept Julie in her spot. She couldn't risk running after Nick, these new men might see her and at this time of night they were either criminals out looking for some trouble or guards looking for escaped slaves.

Thankfully the men wandered through the alley and left the direction Nick ran in. They didn't know she was there so they simply walked on by. Breathing a huge sigh of relief, Julie finally stood up and removed her device from the belt strapped to her thigh. She strapped it to her wrist and dialed to go back to The Library.

After the feeling of jumping passed Julie looked around. The place looked deserted. There wasn't the hustle and bustle she remembered when she left. “Hello?” she called out.

“Hello?” Came a reply as Brian walked out from behind one of the shelves. “What are you doing here?”

“What are you doing here?” she shot back. “Aren't you supposed to be...” She stopped herself and looked down at her device. “Damn, I entered the wrong year. I meant to enter twenty-thirty not twenty-twelve.” She sighed and sat down.

Brian eventually sat across from her. “Again, what are you doing here?”

“You knew Nick stranded me right?” She asked him, hoping that he really was on Kevin's side. “Well, when I was rescued I asked to be a volunteer so that I could go back and get AJ out,”

“You found AJ?” Brian asked interrupting her.

Julie nodded. “We were sold as slaves together in ancient Rome. Charles agreed I should be a volunteer and here I am.” She held out her hands. “Surprise.” she laughed quietly and awkwardly at her own comment.

“You just asked and they said yes?” Brian shook his head. “What is this project coming to.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence.” Julie glared at him.

“Do you even know what you got yourself into? Was anything explained to you?” Brian stood kicking his chair back as he did. She could hear him mumbling something under his breath, the only word she could catch was “Kevin”.

“Brian, as I told your cousin, I am a big girl and I can handle myself.”

“Really?” Brian laughed at her. “This from the girl that got stranded in ancient Rome.”

“Because Nick caught on to the fact that I was helping you all!” She was yelling now and found herself standing as well. “I don't even know half of what is going on. The most information I have received about this rift in the project has been from Nick. None of you share any answers with me but are fine with me rushing off to save one of your own. How do you think I feel about that?”

“Then why are you here?” Brian stepped closer to her, their faces were inches away from each other.

Julie knew, she knew why she joined, knew why she would throw herself into danger again and again. If she was part of the project she could be near Kevin, even if he didn't feel the same and she could never be with him, being near him was enough for her. “I ...” she stammered and then sat back down.

“Brian?” her voice was timid now, like a child who had been reprimanded. “Can you answer some things for me?”

Brian sighed and picked up the chair, setting it upright he took a seat across from her. “I can try.”

“Why did Nick strand AJ?”

Brian looked away from Julie and out one of the windows in the front of the building. “AJ tried to get the group back together. Do you know what happened?” Brian asked and when Julie shook her head he continued. “Nick had a large group of volunteers and displaced persons following him with the help of another displaced. Kevin returned her and Nick lost a lot of followers since they never met her.” Brian shrugged. “AJ felt that with her gone Nick would come back. He went after him, caught up with him and tried to persuade him. I guess his attempt upset him and he banished him to ancient Rome.”

“That's it, he tried to save the friendship and bring him back?” Julie sounded slightly doubtful like there was something still missing from the story.

“As far as I know,” Brian answered looking away and back quickly.

“And you? Kevin said you unintentionally helped Nick and got stuck on your current mission.”

Brian shook his head. “I would rather not talk about what I did, it's done and nothing can be changed. As a result I was sent to twenty-twelve to keep Charles protected from any attempts Nick would have at getting to him.”

“Why can't you just tell Charles not to recruit him, he's the one that brings Nick to the project.” “Can't interfere with the past.” Brian stated simply.

Julie remembered this was the division between the two groups of volunteers.

“Back to AJ, you found him. Why isn't he with you?” Brian looked around with hopeful eyes.

“Nick moved him before I could get to him. He knows I got away and moved him.” She held up her hands. The look on AJ's face made her feel helpless. “But I followed him and another volunteer, Steph, and overheard them talking about Washington's camp and AJ being there.” She smiled with this new tidbit of information.

“Washington? You don't think they could mean General Washington?” Brian asked hopeful.

“Maybe, why?” She asked. “If he had a camp it was likely it was during the war..” Julie thought out loud.

“And his most famous camp was Valley Forge.” Brian smiled and ran upstairs. Julie stood and followed him. He was already out of sight when she reached the rows of books.

“Brian?” She called out.

“Here,” she heard him yell out but did not see him. She wandered until she saw him holding a book open, propped against the shelf.

He waved Julie over and pointed to a section of the material. “This is where he put AJ.” Brian sounded confident now. “Many soldiers died that winter due to lack of clothing, food and wood. And of course, the first use of germ warfare. The British sent blankets to the freezing soldiers. What the Continentals were unaware of was the blankets were infected with small pox and yellow fever. It would be a perfect place to abandon him and let the winter take its course.”

Julie saw a twinkle in Brian's eyes. “You like this don't you? Finding out information on where someone might be.”

Brian smiled, “I still get to research being The Librarian and all.” He closed the book and put it back on the shelf.

Julie nodded at this remembering something AJ had told her about the librarian having some kind of connection to interact with people researching in other times. Then she remembered Kevin telling her about Brian's wife giving birth to their first child. “How is your kid?” she asked him.

Brian's face fell and he looked at his hands. “He's fine and my wife is fine. I just wish I could be with them more often but I understand my duty here too.” He moved out of the aisle. “Kevin tell you?” He asked.

Julie nodded. “Yes. I should get going. Get to Valley Forge and get AJ and get home.” She started messing with the dial on her wrist.

“Julie,” Brian grabbed her hand away from the device. She was sure he was going to wish her luck, it would be dangerous. “You really should get back to twenty-thirty and change clothes.” He pointed to the slave tunic she still wore. “It's a different time and it will be cold.”

“You're right.” Julie said and tried to move her hand towards the device on her wrist again but Brian continued to hold it tight.

“You need to be extra careful.” Brian warned. “Kevin said Nick has it out for you. He is trying to hurt Kevin through you and he will stop at nothing to get his revenge on Kevin.”

“Why? Nobody has told me why.”

“It is something Kevin will have to tell you when he is ready.” Brian let go of her hand so that she could dial her device. “Make sure you tell everyone what you found out, they will be interested to know that Steph has defected and is now spying on them.” He took a step back and watched her as she finished dialing her device.

“Thanks for your help Brian. I hope you will get to see your family soon.” She smiled at him and pushed the button to take her back to Kevin, back to twenty-thirty.

Chapter 27 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Can Kevin and Julie work together?

At first it appeared that she hadn't moved times at all. She stood in the same spot in The Library with nobody around, she couldn't see Brian however and it was seconds before another volunteer walked into the room. The woman glanced at Julie, her eyes widening in shock before smiling at her.

“Hello,” the woman said. “Can I help you?”

“I'm looking for Kevin.” Julie answered. The woman's voice was familiar and it didn't take long for Julie's mind to register that she was standing in the presence of Steph.

“You must be the new girl,” Steph smiled and extended her hand. “I'm Steph.”

Julie took the woman's hand, she had become all too good at pretending and lying. “Julie, nice to meet you.”

“So you are looking for Kevin? I think I saw him leave, but if you want to come with me I can take you to his office.” Steph motioned for Julie to follow her as she started to walk towards the stairs that lead to the basement rooms.

Julie had to quickly weigh her options, should she follow this woman she just saw making love to Nick with her eyes as they talked about hiding AJ in another time and searching for her to do the same. Or should she shrug off the woman's help and go the opposite direction.

“I think I want to check the stacks for something,” Julie smiled at the girl. “You are welcome to help me and then maybe you can show me where his office is later.” Julie hoped that Steph would not agree to this new arrangement.

“Well I was on my way to see Dr. Dorough so I shouldn't keep him waiting any longer.” Steph returned the smile and turned to walk away.

Julie sighed with relief as she made her way up the stairs. She really needed to go into the basement levels but with Steph down there she couldn't head down this minute, she would have to wait a good amount of time before she could head down. She hoped that it wouldn't be too late.

Julie stuck around upstairs for about thirty minutes and then ventured down. Steph wasn't on the first floor anymore. Julie made her way to the stairs and started down, she hoped that Howie, Kevin and Charles would be around so she could discuss the information she discovered about AJ's whereabouts.

It wasn't long before Julie was underground and standing outside the door to the office she remembered seeing Howie and Charles in before. She hoped they were there. She knocked on the door and entered when she heard someone say “come in.”

“Hello?” Julie called out as she entered.

“Julie was it?” Charles walked towards her. “I thought you were out rescuing AJ. Did you succeed?”

Julie shook her head. “The volunteer Steph, she's a rogue volunteer. She gave information to Nick about our rescue. AJ was moved before I got there and they would have moved me too if I hadn't been rescued earlier that night.”

“Shit,” Charles muttered and picked up his phone. She heard him speaking to who she assumed was Howie but the words were strewn together so quickly that it was hard for Julie to understand what he was saying. After only a few minutes, Howie and Kevin came barging into the room.

“What happened?” Kevin demanded of her. His eyes were angry but not accusatory.

“Nick moved him. I followed Steph who was looking for me at the villa and overheard them talking. They spoke of Washington's camp and I went back to The Library in twenty-twelve, by accident,” she added when she saw their confused looks. “Brian helped me research and we think that Nick has moved AJ to the camp at Valley Forge. I came back here to let you know that is where I will be going next and to change into attire more suitable for December, seventeen seventy seven.”

“What makes you think it will be then and not later early seventeen seventy eight?” Kevin asked a sound of doubt in his voice.

“Nick sold as slaves, he isn't above giving his prisoners up as laborers. December of seventeen seventy seven is when the soldiers arrived in Valley Forge and had to set up camp. I'm sure Nick had no issues dropping him off there to help build the cabins.” Julie smiled at Kevin, she knew it was a smug smile, but she couldn't help herself.

“Okay,” Howie spoke up. “Kevin, you and Julie go to Valley Forge and retrieve AJ. If you are able, bring Nick in as well.”

“I want to go alone,” Kevin burst out. “There is no reason to endanger her any more.” Kevin pointed to her as if she was a chair in the room.

“You don't want to have to feel responsible for me is what this is about you think I'll screw up?” Julie shot back.

Kevin turned towards her. “That has nothing to do with it.” he hissed.

The two of them stood staring each other down. Julie was reminded of staring contests she would have with her friends in school, it was childish but she was not going to be the one to avert her eyes.

“Enough!” Charles shouted. Kevin looked away ashamed and looked at his boss. “Kevin, you will take Julie. She has proven herself capable of handling things. I want two of you there in case Nick is there again.”

“Then send me with Erika.” Kevin argued back.

“Erika has asked for another assignment, I'm not sure she can handle the stress right now.” Charles added. “All the others are busy tracking down other rogues that Nick has recruited and fixing what they messed up and Julie has just informed me that Steph needs to be taken into custody.” Charles rubbed his eyes and looked back at the two volunteers in front of him. “Suck it up, get over whatever issue you have with her and get to work.”

Kevin looked at Howie and then looked at Julie before turning to leave. “I am going to go get changed.” Julie didn't even say good-bye to the other two before charging after Kevin.

“What is your deal?” She shouted as she followed him to where she assumed she would get an outfit to blend in as well. She was especially confused after their last encounter. She could still feel the touch of his fingers on her thigh as he strapped the belt around her leg.

“Nick is after you, it's not safe.” Was all he said. He turned and pointed across the hall. “You change there. I will see you in ten.”

Julie changed into an outfit appropriate for the time period, though she stuck with her own bra instead of wearing the corset. It took her a bit longer than ten minutes for her to finish getting changed. She didn't have a chance to make a sarcastic comment about his outfit when she did arrive as he was already moving towards the jump room, at least that is what she was calling it in her head.

“Set your device. Are you still wearing the belt?” He asked her.

Julie nodded as she moved her device to the correct positioning. She looked up at him and raised her eyebrows as she pushed her button.

She arrived a matter of seconds before Kevin. There was a cold sleet coming down and she wrapped the shawl around her shoulders. “Do we have to stand in this?”

Kevin looked around and pointed to a small shelter nearby. “We can sit under that.”

Julie nodded, there wasn't much choice on the matter and she quickly ran to get under the small covering. They sat quietly watching the sleet coming down, they could see the camp from where they sat. “Could we just go in?” Julie asked.

“We could, but it would be best to wait to see if your assumptions are correct before we barge in there.”

“My assumptions?” Julie scoffed. “I overheard them...no, you know what. I'm not getting into this with you. I don't understand you, one minute you look at me like you can't stand to be apart from me, the next you are yelling at me thinking I am unable to handle this.” She motioned around her. “What the hell is going on? Why does Nick have it out for you, why is he using me to get to you?”

Kevin stayed silent, staring at the camp. Julie rolled her eyes at him and started to watch the camp as well.

“You are my assignment. I returned one of his cases to twenty twelve and he took it personally. He vowed he would get back at me so he has decided to go after you.” Kevin turned and looked at her. They sat looking at each other for what seemed like forever.

'Move closer,' Julie thought as she willed Kevin to move closer to her. Even after the disagreements, even if he pissed her off, she still wanted to feel his lips on hers. The patter of the sleet on the wooden roof broke Julie out of her thoughts as she shivered in the cold.

“Cold?” He asked and moved closer. Her heart leapt as he wrapped his arm around her shoulder and pulled her closer to him. She tucked her head up under his chin and huddled closer to him. She could hear his heart beating, it sounded strong and steady just like its owner.

“Julie,” Kevin spoke and she looked up. Their faces were mere millimeters apart now. “There he is,” Kevin spoke again, his eyes trained on the nearby camp. She looked in the same direction and saw Nick, wearing a modern trench coat wandering out of the camp and towards the nearby woods.

“I'm going into the camp to get AJ, you stay here.” Kevin pointed to the spot she was sitting in.

“They sent me so one of us could go after AJ and one of us could retrieve Nick.” She argued. “I'll get AJ, you get Nick.”

“No. You are a woman and that is a camp full of men.” Kevin stated and started to wander towards the camp. “And you will not go after Nick.” His face was determined and stern.

She stood and watched him leave, when he was far enough away Julie turned in the direction Nick went and started to follow him. “Like hell I'll stay put.”

Chapter 28 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Julie doesn't follow Kevin's requests, why didn't she listen?

Julie pulled her shawl tight around her shoulders and wished she could be inside with a nice warm fire and a cup of hot chocolate instead of trudging through the freezing sleet searching for a man who hoped to trap her in time for something Kevin did to him. She knew what Kevin told her couldn't be the whole truth about the matter but she didn't want to press him and upset him more than he already was.

“So you followed me instead,” Nick's voice rang out with several feet of woodland between them. “That's too bad; I had a nice trap set for you if you had gone into the camp. The General was very interested to learn that a woman was planning on making an appearance and that was she was going to be there to gather information, that she was a spy for the Redcoats. Instead, I will have to take care of you.”

He slowly started to walk towards her and suddenly Julie realized how stupid it was for her to go after Nick. She had no idea how she would stop him or force him to come back with her. She remembered his grip, it was strong and she knew she wouldn't be able to get away again if she caught her.

“AJ's not here?” She asked thinking if he started talking he might stop walking. She was afraid for Kevin; did the trap set for her capture him instead?

To her dismay he shook his head but continued towards her. He was cocky though, he walked slowly as if to torment her. She backed away slowly, afraid that if she turned and ran he would overpower her instantly, she needed to think of something quickly.

“Of course AJ isn't here. I put him somewhere he could do the most good. Steph did a wonderful job of luring you out of the house so you could overhear our conversation didn't she? Of course I knew by having her expose herself to you in that manner she would no longer be able to gather information about the project for me. She's trained others there; I will still get my information.”

Julie looked at Nick, eyes wide in shock.

Nick laughed. “Of course I knew you were there and that you would follow her, how could you pass that up? If you only had given me the information I wanted, none of this wold have been your concern.”

Nick must have picked up the pace as he was only a few feet away now. If Julie was going to get away, now would be the time for her to make a break for it. She turned back towards the camp and started to run at full speed, which was difficult in the ladies boots she was wearing and with the ground slick from the sleet. It did not come as a surprise to her when she felt Nick's hands grasping her arms; he turned her to face him. Julie didn't hesitate; she stepped on his foot with the heel of her boot which distracted him long enough to her to bring her knee up colliding with his groin.

Taken by surprise, Nick released her, falling to the ground. Julie took this chance to start running. She knew she wouldn't be able to make it to the camp without Nick following and possibly catching her, besides the camp was a trap for her it was probably best she not run straight into another trap. She needed to elude Nick so she could think of how she could get Kevin out of the camp.

Julie found some bushes grouped tightly together and ducked behind them, pulling her knees to her chest and watching Nick. It didn't take him too long to recover from her kick, his eyes shot immediately to the open space between the woods and the camp, where she would have been if she'd kept running straight for the camp. He must have realized she was still around there somewhere though, since he started to talk again.

“Julie, despite me stranding you in Rome to get even with Kevin, I haven't harmed you in any way. I don't think you understand my mission, what it is I stand for. I think if you did you would see that I am right and you would want to join with me. I want to fix everything in history that makes humans look horrible. Imagine if Hitler and the Nazi party never rose to power or if Martin Luther King, Jr. was never assassinated. How different things would be.”

She noticed Nick was farther away from her then when he started out so she chanced it and spoke. “Those things shaped the world without them Chronos Project might never have come into existence.” She shut her mouth quickly when he turned around; instead of walking straight towards her though he turned and walked to her left. “If you argue you are for the greater good, why are you stuck on revenge against Kevin?”

“He's never told you has he?” Nick laughed apparently amused by Julie's ignorance. “Zoe Harkin, do you remember what I told you about her?” He didn't pause for her to answer. “Zoe was the very essence of generosity and goodness. Instead of wondering what would happen to her with each jump, instead of questioning why it happened to her and if she'd ever make it home, she saw each jump as a new possibility to help someone. When I found her in China she was feeding children that nobody cared for, children left to die, all on her own. I couldn't help the feelings that developed for this extraordinary woman.”

Julie quietly moved further under cover as Nick had turned towards her direction.

“Once I discovered how to manipulate my device I was able to spend as much time as I wanted with her without the project knowing. I took a vial of the formula from Howie's office so she would stop randomly jumping. She refused to be taken to headquarters. Unlike you, she trusted me immediately and spoke often of all her jumps and the deeds she accomplished in each. She showed me all the good I could do with this power. We traveled to several time periods to help people or to right something we knew was wrong but we always ended back in China. It had become home to Zoe and she couldn't stand the thought of leaving those children alone, she felt she was doing the most good there.”

Julie desperately wanted to ask Nick what Zoe would think about him spending countless hours seeking revenge instead of helping, but she kept her mouth shut, he was facing her direction already and she didn't need to give him any more clues as to where she was. She needed to get back to Kevin and get out of there. Somehow they needed to find where Nick stuck AJ, too.

“Of course I needed to report back to the project to keep up the appearance that I was a good little volunteer abiding by their rules. I worked cases and all the while I recruited. Volunteers that were unhappy or not assigned cases were easy recruits. Zoe would just talk to them and the displaceds I brought her and they would see how right our cause was.

“Kevin destroyed it all. Passing as a recruit of mine he found our location and time. I still don't know how he found out what was going on.”

Julie remembered being told about the inquiry into Nick's activities when it was discovered his cases were solved too quickly and how the project had been tracking Nick's device. Julie slowly made her way towards an easy opening to the field between them and the camp. Nick needed to keep talking so that she could make a break for it.

His voice sounded too close for comfort as he continued. “He spoke with her; he played her, got her first jump information and was gone.” There was venom in his voice as he spoke. “I found out what happened from one of my spies within the project. He went to her first jump and returned her. Nothing she experienced, the lives she touched, the love we had, all of it was gone. I jumped back to her first jump to stop him but she was never there. My last trip to The Library I found what really happened.”

Julie looked behind her, she could run but she hated to admit it, she wanted to know. She realized too late that she should have run. Nick's hands gripped her tightly as he pulled her from behind the bushes.

He held her in front of him, standing on her feet so that she couldn't kick him again. “He killed her Julie.” A mixture of tears and anger were evident on his face. She looked at him confused, shaking her head in disbelief. Kevin may follow the rules and be uptight at times but she couldn't see him as a killer.

“I shouldn't have sent you to Rome. I should have just killed you right in front of him. For him to loose you...too bad he isn't here now.”

Julie reached desperately for her timer as she saw Nick produce a knife. She almost had her fingers on the buttons before she felt a searing pain in her side.

She watched Nick look around. “Guess he never finds out about this since he's not here to save you now. That or he's finally realized that he can't have you. Too bad.” Nick laid her on the ground and once again removed her device. Her hands clutched her side; she could feel the warmth of the blood cover her hands. Nick leaned down hovering over her, his lips brushing hers.

“Nothing personal Julie, I liked you but I cannot let you live. It's not fair.” With that said he dialed his device and waved good-bye.

Left alone, Julie glanced down at her wound. “Shit!” she cursed as she noticed the amount of blood seeping from her body. She attempted to sit up but the searing pain forced her back down. She was going to die. Kevin was going to die and somehow she felt at fault.

'No,' she thought to herself. She was not going to let it happen. Ignoring the pain she sat up and leaned on her right elbow, the wound facing up instead of being drug on the ground. She managed to move her right elbow forward and then pull herself along. It was slow and she could feel her energy draining but she continued.

She cleared the woods and could see the camp ahead. Slowly she moved until the pain and weariness overcame her, forcing her to collapse. It was light not long ago but now darkness crept in around her. Her breathing became shallow and she could no longer keep her eyes open. The only thought that brought her any happiness was that she knew Kevin would live through this all and he would find someone to love. Soon the only sense working was her hearing. The birds sounded beautiful and she was glad it would be the last thing she heard and she closed her eyes letting the pain overcome her completely.

Chapter 29 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Julie wakes, was it all a dream?

The first sense she recovered was her hearing. The birds she remembered hearing before everything went dark were no longer singing. Instead her ears picked up the sound of muffled speech somewhere nearby. She couldn't make out what was being said, but she could tell the voice was male. Her thoughts flew to Kevin: was he in trouble, did he find her? She wanted to yell out his name but her mouth refused to work. How could she get his attention? How could she let him know where she was? What if he was in trouble?

With her thoughts swirling around Kevin, she didn't notice the tingling feeling starting in her toes and fingers and slowly branching into her arms and legs. When she did notice the feeling returning to her body she tried to move her fingers and her toes. With luck, they moved. Next she moved her arm; maybe if she stuck her arm in the air Kevin would be able to find her. If that was indeed Kevin she heard speaking.

The sharp smell of bleach assailed her nose and the thought came that maybe she wasn't in the woods anymore. Come to think of it, she wasn't cold and wet anymore either. Her fingers started feeling the area around her, it was soft and there were blankets. She was on a bed. Someone had found her!

The elation of being found was soon overcome with the fear that it was the soldiers at camp. What if they found her and now she was imprisoned as a spy? Would Kevin know she was here, would he be able to get her out?

She moved her leg causing the blanket that was lying across her to fall to the floor; she could feel the chill in the air. Her eyes felt like they had been glued shut, she desperately wanted to rub her eyes, but what if the soldier in the room saw her and restrained her? She needed to sneak out of there but she had to see where she was going.

Going through the motion of blinking forced enough moisture into her eyes that she was able to start to open them. As her eyes began to open, she blinked a few more times to clear them. She was not in a cabin after all; the man in the corner wasn't even wearing a uniform. She sighed in relief, she hadn't been captured after all, she had been rescued.

The figure was standing but his shoulders were hunched, it was apparent he was speaking on a phone. Julie couldn't hear the words he was saying, the voice was too muffled and her eyes were still too blurry for her to tell who was standing in the corner. Her mind floated back to when she awoke in a room similar to this and she started to wonder if she ever really left that room. Maybe it was all a dream brought on by the serum that Howie injected in her. Julie attempted to sit up, the searing pain in her side made it evident none of what had happened had been a dream. She grimaced and groaned alerting the man that she was awake.

“Julie?” the man spoke turning around. She took the opportunity to rub her eyes; she was finally able to see Kevin walking towards her a smile breaking out on his face.

“Kevin,” Julie sighed though the noise sounded more like a croak. “What...” before she could finish her question Kevin's hands cupped her face and his lips crashed into hers with desire. The shock that overtook her was replaced with the sensation that all of her limbs were tingling, though she wasn't sure if it was from the kiss or from waking up.

Julie brought her arm up and placed her hand gently on his back as their kiss deepened. When she moved her left arm in an attempt to wrap both of her arms around him, the pain in her side forced her to cringe. Kevin must have felt her cringe and he pulled away.

He helped her lay back down and picked the blanket up off of the floor, covering her again. When she was tucked in, he proceeded to run his fingers through her hair. “I thought I lost you..” he mumbled

Julie closed her eyes and smiled remembering the feel of his lips on hers. Before she knew what was happening, tears started to well up in her eyes. “I'm sorry I went after him,” She looked into Kevin's eyes and saw no blame. The entire experience made her realize just how unprepared she was for what needed to be done.

“How did you find me?” She asked.

“I talked to a few of the soldiers who had seen Nick and his strange attire. Some were wary of him and I was able to talk to them and find out that AJ wasn't there at all. When I heard that I ran back to the shelter I left you at. When I didn't find you there I started to walk back towards the camp.” He leaned down and kissed her forehead. “A few of the men that had helped me found me and told me that they saw a woman lying in the field. Then I knew what Nick had intended all along.” Julie watched as his eyes flicked to her left side briefly.

“Kevin?” She hated to ruin their moment but she had to know. “Nick told me what happened between you two.”

Kevin stopped comforting her and moved to the side of the room. He grabbed a chair and pulled it closer to her bed. He took her hand in both of his and kissed it. “So now you know why he hates me?”

Julie nodded. “Did you kill Zoe?”

Kevin held her eye contact, “Yes.” He answered seriously. Julie could feel her brow furrow in confusion and she really wanted to pull her hand away but he kept hold. “It was an accident.”

“How did it happen?”

“I told you how we figured out that Nick manipulated his device so that he could spend longer amounts of time in one place and to us it only seemed like a day or two?” Julie nodded and he continue. “Well once we were able to decipher the data we found he was spending a large amount of time back in the Ming Dynasty, China. I went there, asked around and discovered where a camp with many foreigners like myself were. I watched the camp for a few days and when I knew Nick was gone, I made my way into camp. They were all very welcoming and when I asked to speak to the person in charge, I was immediately taken to Zoe.

“It's a shame you will never be able to meet her, she really was an inspiring persona. I can't lie and say I wasn't drawn to her cause after speaking with her for only a matter of minutes, but I knew I had a mission to complete and I know you will find this hard to believe, but I am not one to leave a mission incomplete,” He looked at Julie and smirked. She couldn't help but let out a small laugh at his comment.

“She opened up very quickly about her first jump. I didn't even have any discretion after I found out her first jump. I left right in front of her and went back to her first jump to return her. We thought it would be the end of things without her. She was the one recruiting the masses to her cause. With her never around to inspire those people the group would disband, or so we thought. Nick's had to do some recruiting but many of the originals stuck around.” Kevin propped his arm on the side of Julie's bed and placed his head in his hands.

“Anyway, when I returned her back to twenty twelve I messed up. I was so pompous that I didn't take the time to learn where she lived so I could take her there. The only place I could think of to return her was to the UCLA campus. I returned her too close to the initial blast and somehow instead of being shot through time, she just disappeared.”

“You couldn't save her?”

Kevin shook his head. “I didn't even know she was dead until Nick told me. He confronted me and said he tried to get her back from her first jump and she wasn't there. He tried to get her back from twenty twelve and she wasn't there either. He even tried to go to the day before the explosion to save her but she was gone. None of the other students had ever heard of Zoe Harkin. It's like she'd been erased from history.”

“But the name sounded familiar to me.” Julie spoke up. It seemed too impossible for anyone to be erased from existence completely.

“You have the time traveler gene fused in your DNA. Those with that, they don't forget. We thought with her gone the group would have never existed but volunteers and displaced persons remembered her, only those without the gene were never recruited and those were few. That was when we discovered that anyone with the gene would remember someone or something that happened. We also discovered that some without the gene could recall a shadow memory.”

“Shadow memory?” Julie asked.

“It's like that word that is on the tip of your tongue but you can't remember it. That's what a shadow memory is like.”

Now it was Julie's turn to comfort Kevin, to run her hands through his hair.

“As bad as it sounds, it is probably for the better that she died.”

Julie looked at him, her brow furrowed in confusion.

“Don't look at me like that,” He chastised her. “If she had lived, Nick would have either stopped me from returning her or he would have talked to her in twenty twelve and convinced her to join them. With her he would be able to recruit who knows how many more people.”

“That's awful Kevin.” She removed her hand and laid it across her chest. Maybe he wasn't the man she thought he was.

“Julie, I would give almost anything to be able to bring that girl back for Nick. To see the pain he suffered and know I was the cause of that pain, it's unbearable. And what he's done to you, that's my fault too. If I hadn't fallen...” Julie could see tears starting to form in his eyes, he quickly wiped them away.

Julie moved over on the bed and patted the area next to her. Kevin climbed onto the bed with her and wrapped his arms around her chest. Julie nestled her head into his chest and sighed with content. “It's not your fault he is looking for revenge.”

They laid there next to each other just long enough to Julie to start to fall asleep again. Before her eyes could close the door opened and Howie walked in. Kevin quickly jumped off the bed and sat in the chair next to the bed.

Howie gave Kevin a look that seemed to say 'I know what you were doing, why are you trying to hide it from me,' before he turned his attention to Julie.

“Julie, Nick missed any vital organs. I stitched you up and you should heal nicely. There is no sign on infection so you lucked out, you should fully in a couple of months. I talked to Charles though and he doesn't want you on anymore field missions until you are completely healed. He's decided that you will go back to twenty twelve,” Julie started to protest but Howie held up his finger to stop her. “You will go back and help Brian research in an attempt to find where he has taken AJ and it will give you time to heal.”

 

End Notes:

*GRINS*

Chapter 30 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Julie strikes a deal and proves she has brains, at least to herself.

Julie pushed the book in front of her away and rubbed her eyes. She'd been staring at the pages in front of her for several hours and nothing she was reading was standing out to her as anything that would help her to find AJ.

'I put him somewhere he would do the most good.' It was the only clue Julie had to the location of AJ and after two weeks of research she was not any closer to discovering where he was located. She was tired of searching but she could not give up, she promised AJ she would save him, she'd asked Charles to let her help rescue him, she could not give up on him.

Julie rubbed her eyes and let her mind wander back to the day she arrived.

“What are you doing here?” Brian asked them when they arrived the first day.

“Brian, I am bringing you Julie to help research locations Nick could be. She needs time to heal but I know she doesn't want to just sit around and heal. The best thing would be for her to be here, under your watchful eye, helping research.” Howie smiled at the two of them but neither of them returned the smile.

“You are giving me another babysitting job.” Brian turned away from Howie obviously ticked off.

“No, she is here to help and to heal. I am not leaving her with a device so she cannot run off or back.” Howie turned back to Julie and smiled again.

“Use whatever knowledge you acquired from Nick in the time you knew him, I hope that he slipped and told you something that will come to you as you research.” Howie put his hand on her shoulder and squeezed.

“How can I contact you and Kevin if I find something?” Julie asked, hoping that there was some way she could get a hold of Kevin. She wasn't sure how long she'd be in twenty-twelve and certainly didn't want to waste more time away now that she knew he had feelings for her.

Howie leaned closer to Julie so only she could hear. “Julie I like you, and I don't mind you are a volunteer, I want you to know that you don't belong,” Julie tuned him out after those words, she didn't want to hear him say she didn't belong with Kevin or with the project. Howie turned from her said his good-byes to Brian and then was gone.

From that point on Julie and Brian had been researching the books, comparing histories to see where Nick might have placed AJ. Brian still had to check on Charles, and they slept and ate regularly but the only real breaks Julie took were to visit her mother whose heart had been giving her complications again and she spent a few days in the hospital with her.

The thought of possibly losing her mother devastated Julie, and she threw herself into the work to try and avoid the situation unless she was with her mother. She knew Brian was curious as to what was bothering her but she appreciated the fact that he did not press her for information when she wasn't sharing. She didn't know Brian well enough to seek comfort from him. She wanted to feel Kevin's arms around her, to hold her close and tell her that everything was going to be alright, but she'd not seen Kevin since she arrived in twenty-twelve.

She wondered if Howie had spoken with Kevin, convinced him that she didn't belong and he agreed. Kevin played by the rules and being with someone who was once your case, your displaced to return, had to be against some kind of rule.

Of course she'd been away from him for weeks at a time before, but this time was different. Knowing he felt the same way and could visit her but chose not to hurt her even more. She watched Brian leave several times to check in and report back. Julie asked him every time he came back for anything about Kevin, was he coming to visit did he ask about her. Brian would only shake his head in response. She hated that she sounded desperate but she longed for any information, even just to know he was safe.

“Frustrated?” Brian asked waking her from her thoughts as he slammed down the books on the table.

“Yah,” She answered him. “Have you heard anything?” She wanted to know if anyone had found AJ but she also wanted to know about Kevin.

Brian shook his head. “Nobody has been able to find AJ or Nick. They have only deployed a few recon missions. Nobody really knows where to look at all.”

Julie looked back at her book, “Waiting for us to find something?” She asked half in jest.

“Probably,” Brian replied sitting across from her and opening another book.

“Brian,” Julie placed her hand on the page he was looking at. “I need you to tell me something. Why is Kevin avoiding me?” She knew she sounded ridiculous asking why the boy she liked never visited but she needed to know. She believed Howie had talked to Kevin and convinced him that being with her was wrong.

“You aren't exactly topic of conversation when I check in.” Brian replied dryly.

“He hasn't asked about me?” Julie asked and when she saw Brian squirm in his seat she knew she was on to something.

“He has asked about me.” She said definitively. “If he asked he must have given you something to tell me.”

“Julie, he asked me not to say anything.”

“Why?” She asked, she couldn't understand why Kevin would request that.

Brian sighed and moved her hand off the page, continuing his research.

“Brian,” She felt selfish. She was complaining about not being able to see Kevin to a man that had to get permission to visit his family. “Tell me and I will cover for you tonight if Howie drops in. Cover for you so you can visit your family.” She wasn't sure he'd go for it, wasn't sure he trusted her yet.

After awhile, Brian nodded. “He's afraid.”

“Afraid of what? Give me more if you want me to cover for you.”
He sighed and continued. “You have to understand the strangeness of the situation you are in.”

Julie jumped in. “Situation as in going through time chasing a man who wants to kill me to get even with Kevin, who thinks he killed me? Nick doesn't know I lived..”

Now it was Brian's turn to interrupt. “He's afraid of what will happen when this is over and there is no more bad guy to chase of what will happen with you.”

Julie though about that for a moment. “He wants to complete his mission still.” She stood and started to move towards the basement floor.

She was almost through the door when she felt Brian grab her arm and pull her to a stop.

“Yes, he is afraid you will get hurt, but he is afraid this is all too much for you and you will return to this time for good. Your life, after all, is here.” Brian relaxed his grip on her arm some, but still held her firmly.

Julie hadn't thought past finding AJ and stopping Nick. She still had school to finish, that is if she still wanted to finish. She still had her mother and with her sick and likely dying she didn't feel right leaving her. She just assumed once Kevin showed her how he felt that he would go where ever, whenever she went.

As if he could read her thoughts through her reaction, Brian continued. “You know he can't live here right? He already exists in this time, he's fifteen and is worried about making the football team. He knows who wins the next eighteen Superbowls, the Presidential elections. He would never be able to participate in life here, he already has.”

Julie met Brian's eyes and held his gaze. She hadn't though about a conflict with him living through a period of time he already lived through.

“Now you understand,” Was all Brian said as he finally released her arm. “Do we still have a deal?”

Julie, lost in thought, nodded when it sunk in what he was asking. “Yeah, yeah, you held up your end.”

He pulled her into a hug. “You know what they say.” He pulled back and looked at her, “If it's meant to bee..” He smiled at her. “But don't be upset with him wanting to guard his heart.”

Brian squeezed her shoulder and moved away from her so that he could make the jump home. Julie was alone with the books and even though what she found out about Kevin wasn't what she wanted to hear she suddenly had a renewed passion to find where Nick put AJ.

Her fingers started to spin through her hair as her mind tugged at the phrase. 'I put him somewhere he could do the most good.' Something in her mind told her that she should know where AJ was just from this information.

Her hand flew to side as her injury flared briefly with pain. 'It's not fair.' The last words Nick spoke to her seeped into her mind. Nick tried to kill her to get revenge against Kevin who had killed the woman he loved, the woman who was trying to help all she met including children nobody else would care for.

Julie sat up straight, she knew where AJ was. Without Zoe to take care of those children, all the good she did was gone. Nick wanted to help those she tried to help. Nick had taken AJ to the Ming Dynasty to care for children!

Chapter 31 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Julie on the rescue, but first she hears something she might not want to know

Julie had to wait several hours until Brian came back from visiting his family. She was glad that Howie did not drop in to check on them that night, she really had no idea how she would explain Brian being gone. Maybe she could have convinced him he was on a late night ice cream run? It was a good thing she did not have to use that or any other excuse. When Brian did return he asked her anxiously if anyone had dropped in while he was gone. His sigh of relief was apparent when she shook her head.

It had been a couple of hours since Brian had told her that he was going to head to bed, he was worn out and his eyes refused to focus on the words in the book any longer. Julie had echoed his intent to sleep and followed him downstairs, turning at her room and wishing him a good night. Now she sat on her bed waiting, her realization of where AJ was had wired her up enough that sleep wouldn't come even if she wanted it to. She looked at the alarm clock on her nightstand and decided it had been a sufficient amount of time for Brian to fall asleep.

Quietly she sneaked out of her room and down the hall to Brian's room. She listened at the door, his slow steady breathing confirmed that he was sleeping. She tried the door hoping that he didn't lock it. She was in luck, she wouldn't have to practice her lock picking skill that night. Slowly she pushed the door open and let her eyes adjust to the darkness of the room. She scoured the room searching for the device, smiling when she saw the device on the dresser nearby.

She grabbed his device and left the room as quickly as she could without making a sound. Once the door was shut behind her she let out a deep breath. Part of her knew she should have shared the information with Brian, told him what she figured out. The other part, well it wanted to rescue AJ, it was her fault he'd been stranded in Rome to begin with. She needed to make things right.

She crept down the hallway and dialed her device. If she set it correctly she should end up in the room with the women's costumes. She closed her eyes and pushed the button, hoping it was quiet in twenty-thirty or this was going to be a short trip. She arrived and peeled her eyes open slowly. When she found that she was in a dark room with clothing all around her, she released the breath she didn't know she'd been holding.

Fumbling around in the dark room, Julie mentally kicked herself for not bringing a flashlight with her. She managed to find the light switch and when seeing no one when glancing out the plexiglass window she flicked it on.

The room illuminated to show all the different outfits for the different time periods. She started to wonder how they found all these authentic outfits but then stopped herself when she remembered they could travel through time. Smirking, she started walking the racks running her fingers over the material of the different outfits. This was a costume room that would make Edith giddy. Julie almost laughed out loud at the thought of Edith giddy.

She found the area she was looking for and pulled out an outfit. Her fingers traced the birds that adorned the red silk of dress that reminded her of a sleeveless robe. She knew from her reading that night that the outfit was not called a kimono, worn by the Japanese, but rather han fu. She laughed a little remembering that most people would call these outfits kimonos even though the Japanese were the ones who borrowed the clothing idea from the Chinese.

She was halfway undressed when voices outside the door caused her to freeze. She ducked below the level of the window and crawled along the floor until she was against to the wall next to the door. She listened carefully for any signs that the person or persons were going to enter the room.

“I don't know how to handle it Howie.” Kevin's voice rang through the door. Julie's heart skipped a beat and she longed to throw open the door and run into his arms even with Howie standing right there.

“You better think of something. You know she can't stay here.” Howie replied.

Julie's lip curled at Howie through the wall. She was talking to Kevin about her, about how she didn't belong.

“She won't give me her first jump information. I can't force it out of her.” Kevin paused for a minute and Julie's heart beat faster. They were talking about her and it sounded like Howie had Kevin convinced that Julie didn't belong as a volunteer, didn't belong with him. “Is that prototype for the mind eraser ready?”

“It was ready last week but there was no one to test it on. It's not like we can randomly erase people's memories to test the thing.” She could hear Howie laugh over his own comment. His laughter made her hate him more. They were discussing testing a prototype of something that would mess with her mind as casually as they would discuss the winner of the last football game.

“Let me use it on her Howie. We already know she will be going back, it's better if she doesn't remember anything. I will erase her memory and then return her to her own time. It's the best and only solution I can really think of.”

Julie gasped horrified that Kevin would actually agree to do that to her. Brian must have told her what he told her to convince her to let him visit his family! She fought back the tears as she waited for the two to travel further down the hallway.

When their voices were sufficiently distant, Julie proceeded to climb into the tan under dress. It amazed her the size of the sleeves. She read about women carrying items including small dogs in those sleeves and now she could easily believe it. She slipped on the silk robe and fastened the collar off to her left side, flinching slightly as she touched her wounded side. She knew she wasn't completely healed but it wasn't going to stop her. She was going to finish what she promised, she would save AJ and then she would leave. It was obvious Howie and even Kevin didn't want her around. Remembering what he had said about wiping her memory brought a new set of tears to her eyes. Using the sleeve of her dress she wiped away the tears and looked at herself in the mirror.

She would not pass as a native Chinese but at least her clothing would fit. Glancing around at the room her mind floated back to Edith and it hit her. After she was done with this mission she would return to nineteen sixty and return to help Edith on the set of Blue Hawaii. Afterwords she would be Edith's assistant on whatever her next movie was. At least she felt needed and wanted there.

Strapping an elastic belt to her inner thigh she tried not to let her mind return to that moment with Kevin strapping the belt on her. She looked at herself one last time in the mirror, dialed her device and hit the travel button hoping that AJ would be there and her heartbreak could end.

Chapter 32 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Ming Dynasty China and Steph..

Julie had looked up Zoe's file while Brian was still visiting his family; she wanted to make sure she jumped to the right location. She didn't want to wander all around China searching. It turned out that Zoe started her compound outside the city of Jiangxi where only a decade later a group of Jesuit Missionaries would found their mission.

She stood on a hill overlooking the camp and watched, the wind blowing her skirts slightly. She saw several people walking around the camp, mostly children but a few adults could be seen darting between the huts. She moved between a couple of trees and sat down, watching, waiting. The night was cool, but not cold and she relished being out of the library that smelled of books or in the hospital that smelled like antiseptic.

She was left alone with only her thoughts. She thought back to what Brian said. Kevin was guarding his heart because he thought she would leave him for her own time, but from what she overheard, Kevin planned on sending her back to twenty-twelve without any memory of what happened. What better way to guard your heart.

That's why she was there, sitting outside the rogue camp alone. Even if Kevin were to get hre first jump information he couldn't take her back without undoing what she had done to save AJ.

Waiting for the activity in the camp to settle down, Julie thought about her mother and finding out she was ill. It wasn't long after she returned from her last encounter with Nick that Julie found out her mother was ill and in the hospital. When she showed up, her cousin was sitting by her mother's side. She thought the glares from here cousin were unwarranted until she remembered that she missed her wedding, again, and she was the maid of honor. No call, nothing. She was a horrible friend and cousin. A slight protest in the back of her mind told her that she was probably being sold as a slave as her cousin walked down the aisle, but Julie felt guilty anyway.

Her cousin left so they could be alone. Julie thought she'd be devastated to see her mother in the hospital hooked up to machines, pale and sleeping but when she looked deep within, Julie had gone through losing her mother years ago already. She spilled her tears and the thought of losing he mother again evoked no more tears from her. She felt like a horrible daughter but when she opened up to Brian about it he told her that if she was strong for her mother and loved her then she wasn't a bad daughter at all.

Her eyes fell on the camp, less people were wandering around. The camp was slowly going to sleep and Julie could feel her eyes starting to close. She fought back sleep and decided to stand up and start moving towards the camp. Darkness was falling more and she didn't want to be too far away when it was dark enough for her to enter the camp.

Carefully she started to make her way through the camp. The houses were somewhat close together so she moved cautiously. She wandered through the narrow streets between the brick buildings. The first two houses she came across were dark and when she looked around inside she only saw sleeping children. Quietly she exited and crept towards the building that still had light seeping out from under the door.

She crouched next to the door, against the wall and listened. She could hear voices inside and hoped that one of them would say something about where AJ was being kept.

“I am not saying that's the only thing I am going to change, but it's definitely something I am going to correct,” a woman's voice sounded through the door.

“You would go back and tell sixteen-year-old you not to lose it to the guy next door?” Men's laughter echoed this question.

“Yes, that guy wouldn't leave me alone for the next five years.” The woman spoke over the laughter defending her decision.

“Well if some of these other events get changed, you might not have to worry about changing yours. It might never happen if Nick succeeds in his mission.”

“It's about time he's done with getting even and can focus on our true purpose.” The familiar voice of Steph came through the door. Julie held her breath, if Steph caught her, this entire thing would be over. She might be able to fool any other rogue that caught her, but Steph knew her.

“Are you still grumpy because he didn't take you with him?” the first female asked. The room was silent, too silent for Julie's liking. Maybe they were disbanding and they would be coming out any second. She had to decide quickly if she was going to leave or chance it. She decided to stay and was glad she did when the talking resumed.

“He knows that my passion to end the foot binding here is strong,” Steph finally answered back.

“Then why aren't you further back in time? Didn't it start in like the tenth century or something?” the woman added.

“It did, but I am gathering information on why it became so popular so that when I do go back I can be sure to influence people away from that thinking.”

“You just don't want to leave in case Nick comes back from Germany sooner than expected.” This time a man made the comment to her, laughter could be heard from around the room.

Julie heard chairs pushed back, that was her cue to move along. Nobody said anything about AJ and she could not risk getting caught by Steph. She crept through the streets and came across another darkened building. It was probably just more kids but she couldn't risk the off chance that AJ was in this building.

When she pushed the door open it squeaked slightly.

“I thought I would be left alone for eight hours, that was the agreement.” AJ's voice sounded from the furthest corner.

“Oh thank god, AJ! It's me, Julie.” She moved towards the back of the room where she heard AJ's voice come from.

“Julie?” he asked as if he couldn't fully believe it was her.

“I've been looking for you since Nick moved you from Rome. I came back to find you gone.” She knelt next to him; he was set up on a blanket on the ground. They didn't even have the decency to give him one of the cots that were scattered about the room. “They made me a volunteer after I swore to bring you back.”

“Steph, she said... Nick killed you.” Julie heard the chain clang as he reached up to touch her arms making sure she was really there.

“He almost killed me,” she smiled though she wasn't sure he'd be able to see it.

“Can you get me out of here?” He held up his arm that was chained to a post in the ground.

Julie turned in a direction away from AJ, even though it was dark, and hiked up her dress, reaching into the belt to retrieve the lock picking tools she remembered to grab before leaving. She smoothed the dress back down and grabbed AJ's hand with the cuff on it. She had no light so it would be difficult, but she'd been practicing in her weeks of banishment.

When the cuff clicked open, AJ pulled it off himself and rubbed his wrist as he stood. He helped her stand back up and then took the lead as they hurried to the door to leave. Voices outside the door caused Julie's heart to jump into her chest. AJ held her back, standing between the door and her. She was here to rescue him but he was acting like it was the other way around. Julie didn't mind. After being stabbed and knowing Nick would do it again in a heartbeat, she could use the extra security.

“Let's go,” AJ whispered after the voices grew distant again.

“I have a device, why aren't we just jumping here, now?” Julie whispered back as they moved through the streets.

“I overheard someone talking about a mission Nick is currently on. I need to bring that information back, we have to stop him.” He whispered back stopping her suddenly with his arm. He motioned her to move towards the small alleyway. They moved further into the shadows as Steph's brunette head came into view.

“I know I heard something out here.” She barked at the other men with her.

“There's no one out here, and the kids are all asleep.” One of the men replied to her. “You are just jumpy.” The men wandered back to the building Julie had heard them in earlier but Steph remained in the middle of the road looking around. Finally, she sighed and moved towards another building. When the door shut and the flickering of candle light could be seen, AJ grabbed hold of Julie's arm and pulled her towards a lone building a little distance away from the main buildings.

He pushed open the door and pulled her inside with him. AJ opened one of the shutters on the window to let the moonlight in. “Let's look for anything that could give us a lead.”

“There is something going on,” Julie heard Steph's voice coming closer to the building they were in. She grabbed several papers off of the table in front of her; she would look at them later. Hopefully something she grabbed contained any information that would help them.

The two bolted from the door and ran towards the hill that Julie had watched the camp from earlier. They got out just in time, they weren't too far away when they heard Steph commanding someone to check on AJ. Julie knew it would only be a matter of time before they discovered him missing and started searching for them.

When they reached the top of the hill, Julie grabbed her device and started to dial back to twenty-thirty. “Let's go home AJ.” She smiled at him as he put his arm around her waist. She pushed the button to take them home, letting out a sigh of relief that she had him.

 

End Notes:

I love you Steph, I really do.. lol this isn't you just your name :-D

Chapter 33 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Now that mission is over, will Julie get away from losing her mind?

AJ squeezed Julie tightly as they arrived back in twenty-thirty. She returned his hug, patting him gently on the back. Now that they were under good lighting, Julie could see the extent of his injuries. His right cheek was swollen and he had a cut right below his eye. His lips were dry and cracked with several red spots where they cracked enough to bleed. A few of the wounds he received during the fight in Rome were still healing. They were clean and stitched leaving Julie to believe that just because Nick wanted him stuck in time, he didn't want him dead.

“Thank you,” AJ whispered in her ear and pulled back. “If you ever need anything...”

Julie nodded and smiled at him.

“AJ?” a female voice startled them both. Julie looked over AJ's shoulder to see Erika coming down the hall towards them. She smiled partly from the look on the other woman's face, partly out of relief that it was not Howie or Kevin.

AJ turned to face the woman. “Erika,” he sighed her name and walked towards her, his walk had a slight limp to it that Julie had not noticed as they were escaping the camp.

“You are a sight for sore eyes,” Erika wrapped AJ in a hug. Julie could see the tenderness that Erika was taking with him. She knew there was a story there and she was sad she would never get to know these two volunteers.

“AJ,” Julie called out. He turned to look at her. She was going to tell him that it was nice knowing him, but he might tip off Kevin and Howie before she was able to fully escape and she still had to say good-bye to her mother one last time before she returned to work with Edith. Instead, she smiled and said, “Welcome home.”

He grinned at her and she watched the reunion as it turned to move down the hall. Something in her head was nagging at her and she called out to him. “There is something you can do for me. When you are healed I need you to make a little trip into the past.” She continued to tell him about the first time she met him, about the answers he provided her that gave her enough fire to continue and kept her from leaving The Library and missing Kevin.

AJ nodded at Julie. “I will definitely do that for you.” He hugged her one last time before Erika helped him walk towards the medical wing to have his wounds taken care of.

Julie smiled as she dialed her device, Brian's device, to return her to twenty-twelve. She needed to get some things together before she left for good. Hopefully she could accomplish it before Brian woke up and noticed his device was missing. She would leave him a note explaining it, he shouldn't be stranded long, Howie was overdue for a visit.

It didn't really look as if she had jumped since she moved to the exact same spot from twenty-thirty to twenty-twelve but when she reached the room she'd been staying in she knew she jumped. Her stuff was scattered around the room just the way she left it.

She threw some of her items that she wanted to keep with her in a bag, deciding she would buy new clothes when she got back to the sixties. She pulled her wallet out of the dresser and looked at her money and credit cards. None of that would work in the past to buy anything. “Damn,” she cursed herself, she should have gone into the jump room, she knew they had currency for different times and places in there. Maybe Edith would give her some cash to tide her over.

“Julie!” she could hear Howie's voice calling to her.

She meekly came out of her room and was soon facing Howie and much to her surprised disappointment, Kevin. Brian groggily came out of his room to join them.

“What's going on?” Brian asked through his yawn.

“AJ's been returned.” Howie said the words to Brian but his eyes remained locked on Julie.

“Well that's great isn't it? Where was he?” Brian asked, now seemingly fully awake.

“China,” was Howie's only reply. Everyone remained silent as Brian looked at Kevin and Howie and then looked at Julie. Julie was still wearing the han fu she had donned in order to make the rescue, she hadn't thought about changing.

“How did you find out it was me?” She knew they would know AJ was returned, but she didn't think they'd assume it was her that rescued him. Her eyes flitted briefly to Kevin; he was just standing there, his face betraying no emotions. This from the man who a few weeks ago crawled into her hospital bed holding her like he was afraid she'd disappear if he let go.

“AJ told us,” Kevin answered for Howie. Julie nodded, she hadn't asked AJ not to tell them who it was that returned him, she didn't even tell him that she wasn't supposed to be on any missions.

Howie ran his hands through his hair, “Julie, Charles is demanding that you be disciplined. This is twice you've gone against an order and done things on your own. This kind of behavior cannot be tolerated.” He grabbed Julie's arm and tried to remove her device, but she had left it in her room inside her bag when she heard him calling her name. “You'll come with me to see what Charles wants to do, and so I can check that wound to make sure you haven't torn anything.” He groped her arm and when he couldn't find the device he dropped her arm. “Where is it?”

Julie looked at him, she wasn't going to give it up, it was her chance to get away from here. She hoped she would be able to get away and jump, she wanted to keep her memories. She did not want to lose five years of her life just because she was trying to get results.

“We'll worry about it later; you will come with me now.” He grabbed hold of her wrist again and started to dial his device.

“Wait,” Brian called out before Howie could press the button. “It's not her fault.”

All three sets of eyes turned their attention to Brian waiting for him to explain.

“She was following orders,” He looked at Howie and half smiled. “She was following my orders.”

“Since when...” Howie started but Kevin interrupted him.

“What happened?” He asked.

Brian motioned to Julie and then to himself. “We were here, researching, when we came across some information that we thought could prove beneficial.”

Julie jumped in when she saw Brian struggling to come up with what information they had come across. “I remembered what Nick told me right before he stabbed me. He was telling me about Zoe and how much she loved the children she was helping in China.”

“Right, and since she'd been returned,” Julie looked at Kevin when Brian said 'returned' watching his face, Kevin cringed at the mention. “We figured that maybe they were still using that area as a base of operations thinking that we wouldn't look there again.”

Julie nodded. “We were going to tell you the next time Brian checked in,” She started.

“But, I decided that it could be too late by then. We needed to act fast and I told Julie to take my device and get the proper attire and go check it out. If it was nothing then we wouldn't have bothered you with another false lead and if he was there then Julie would have a chance to get him before the other side could suspect we knew.”

“So even though she obviously had to come and get a change of clothes you thought it better to have her check it out despite her injury than to just tell us what you discovered while she was there?” Howie asked. Julie could sense that he didn't believe the story and she bit her lip waiting to see what Brian would say in return.

“Howie, I know you,” Brian put his hand on the other man's shoulder. “you would have wanted to get a group together, you would have wanted more information before sending the team and you would have delayed the jump to ensure things went smoothly. If Julie checked it out and it was nothing, then none of the extra time or resources would have been used.”

The minutes before Howie said anything seemed to take forever, but finally he responded. “Well if it was your decision I guess we should go explain that to Charles.”

Julie could feel the breath she was holding released relieved that Howie let go of her arm and moved to Brian. She looked at Brian trying to ask him through her eyes why he did that. He was already punished enough, why did he take the blame for her? She waved to him as he and Howie disappeared from sight.

“Well,” Kevin spoke startling Julie, she was so wrapped up in Brian defending her that she had forgotten he was here.

Julie raised her eyebrows at him and turned her back walking back towards her room. She had more to pack and she really needed to get out of these clothes. She hardly noticed that Kevin had followed her into the room.

“Yes?” She asked him coolly. She stood with her arms crossed in front of her and waited for his response. She really didn't want to know what he had to say, for all she knew he was going to zap her with the device right this instant and take her home.

“What is with you?” Kevin asked.

Julie shrugged and moved back to her packing.

“You are infuriating,” Kevin thew up his hands and headed for the door.

“So you have said,” Julie collapsed on her bed and put her head in her hands. It would be better this way, right?

Chapter 34 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

will she keep her memories?

When she heard the door shut, Julie let the tears fall into her hands. At this point she thought she would be better off if Nick had succeeded in killing her. She wouldn't be facing the choice of leaving to go live in the past or having her memory of the last five years erased.

When she felt someone sit next to her on the bed she sat up straight and looked over at Kevin, wiping her eyes trying to hide that she'd been crying.

Kevin looked behind her and saw the bag on her bed. “What's going on?” he asked indicating the bag.

“I am just going through my stuff, packing things I want to take with me, things I don't want to leave behind.” She stood and moved away from him, finding a tissue to wipe the last of the tears from her eyes. “I thought you left.” She tried to keep her voice cold.

Kevin stood and moved closer to Julie, attempting to enfold her in his arms but she ducked away and moved to the other side of the room. Kevin let out a frustrated sigh and turned towards her again. “Where are you going?” He asked; his face crestfallen.

Julie shook her head. “I'm leaving.” She stated simply.

“Going home?” Kevin asked. His voice sounded sad, but Julie couldn't shake what she had heard him and Howie discussing.

She shook her head. “I just need to get away, go somewhere I feel needed, wanted.”

Kevin stepped closer reaching his arm out to her, “Julie I...” he stopped speaking when Julie held up her hand.

“I overheard you and Howie talking when I was getting this,” She motioned to the han fu she was still wearing. “I know what you are planning to do. You will want to return me, you plan to wipe my memory and return me.”

“Julie, I still don't know...” he paused and closed his eyes smirking. He shook his head and tried to move closer. “I remember hearing from Erika that one of the Chinese outfits had gone missing.” He laughed, Julie didn't join him, instead she moved back to her bag on the bed moving things around so she could fit more items in it.

“Julie, she told me that months ago.” He smiled, he obviously thought she would catch on but she just glared at him. “Nineteen sixty, you ran into the bathroom and locked the door. I seem to remember running water. I was so pissed I am pretty sure I slammed the door to the hotel room when I left.”
Julie thought about it for a minute, he had left her alone in the room and when she came out, Nick was there. “What about it?”

Kevin laughed. “You had me so frustrated I came back to discuss options with Howie. I do remember having that conversation with him about you months ago, we decided against it. Wiping your memory was too risky. But that was before...” He stopped and looked at her; his eyes were twinkling with amusement. “You must have jumped into twenty-thirty and heard that conversation. I would never, not now.”

Julie must not have been paying attention to how close he was getting and was slightly surprised to feel his arms wrapping around her, pulling her into a deep hug. It felt good to be in his arms and she never wanted him to let go, but eventually he pulled away and looked at her.

“Since we are clearing the air,” Kevin started sitting back down on the bed and patting the spot next to him. She sat down and looked at him. “Can I ask you about what Nick said. Did you really sleep with him?
Julie cringed, she was afraid he would ask her about that. “Yes,” She answered. She watched as a flare of anger flashed across Kevin's face. He took a few moments to himself before he turned back to her.

“Kevin..” She started but stopped. She really didn't know what she could say to him. She moved closer and put her hand on his leg. “I just came home after jumping through time for five years. My life was falling apart and Nick gave me comfort, he was there when I needed someone who understood, someone I could talk to.” She removed her hand and sat with her hands folded in front of her.

Kevin reached for her hands and took them in his own. “Julie, I don't hold it against you. Knowing Nick, it was part of his revenge.” He squeezed her hands and they sat together in silence for a few minutes.

“So where are you planning to go?” Kevin asked finally breaking the silence.

“Not where, when.” Julie responded. “I was going to go back to nineteen sixty and work with Edith again. When I heard that conversation between you and Howie and with my mom dying, I just wanted to leave, I wanted to be around someone that I knew cared. Edith was a good friend and I enjoyed her company, it seemed natural to go back there. I was going to tell Brian in a note where I would leave it so he could retrieve his device.”

“Your mother?” Kevin asked.

She looked up at him, she'd forgotten that she hadn't see him in weeks and he had no idea what she'd been going through with her mother. “My mom's heart is failing.”

Kevin placed his hand on her back and started to rub it slightly. She continued, “When I got back she'd gone into the hospital. The doctors said she'd been under stress; she had filed a missing persons report on me. It's my fault she's in the hospital.” She averted her eyes from Kevin's gaze, she felt embarrassed that she admitted she would leave her, and by what she was going to say next. “When I visited I felt so detached. I mean, she is my mother and I love her but I came to terms with losing her years ago. Having a chance with her again would have been nice, but I don't even consider her when I do anything. I know it is horrible to leave her again in the condition she is in, but the doctors say it's only a matter of time before she is gone for good.” Even though she felt sad talking about her mother's impending death, still no tears would fall.

“There is nothing for me here,” She whispered.

Julie felt Kevin as he lifted her chin and forced her to look at him. He leaned closer and brushed her lips with his. Julie's stomach fluttered at the softness of his kiss. Her body responded by moving closer and pressing her lips into his.

Kevin pulled away and smiled at her, he brushed her hair away from her face. “Stay with me,” he whispered so quietly Julie wasn't sure she heard him say it all.

“Yes,” she replied as she kissed him again wrapping her arms around him and pulling him closer. Kevin's arms wrapped tighter around her and pulled her as close as he could. Julie's hands moved to the robe of the han fu and undid the ties that kept it closed. She slipped it off and dropped it to the floor.

“Erika is going to kill you if she finds out you did that,” Kevin joked as he trailed kisses down her neck.

“Well then we better not tell her.” Julie pushed Kevin away and stood, lifting the rest of the garment off over her head. She felt slightly self conscious as stood in front of him in only her bra and panties. Kevin reached for her and grabbed her hips, pulling her closer to him.

He looked up at her and she bent down kissing him. She tugged on Kevin's shirt and he helped pull it off over his head. Once his shirt joined the han fu on the ground, Julie crawled on top of Kevin, their lips pressed feverishly against each other. Kevin held on to her as he moved further back on the bed, shoving her bag on the floor.

Kevin rolled Julie over and hovered over her, he trailed kisses down her neck, her chest and her stomach. He knelt over her and undid his pants throwing them somewhere in the room. And soon Julie's room was a mess of clothes scattered as their undergarments joined everything else on the floor.

Julie grabbed Kevin's arms and pulled him closer to her. Their kisses grew in urgency and desire as they felt the heat of their bodies pressed together. When Kevin finally entered her Julie let out a gasp of pleasure, arching her back to be closer to him. His pace was slow and easy to start but it wasn't long before their built up desire exploded into a frenzied passion that left them both breathing heavily.

When they finished Kevin continued to kiss her all over, wrapping her tightly in his arms. Eventually they both fell asleep holding each other. For Julie it was one of the best nights of sleep she had in a long while.

Chapter 35 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

will you still love me.... tomorrow...

The room was cooler than Julie remembered it being so she reached down and pulled the covers up under her chin in an attempt to keep the cold out. She felt warmth behind her and moved closer to that spot, colliding with another body. 'Kevin,' she thought as she curled into him and closed her eyes in content.

Her body relaxed more when she felt his body respond to her and move closer, his arm draping over her. Now she felt warm and relaxed and did not want to move from that spot, ever.

“Morning,” Kevin spoke softly as he nuzzled her neck from behind.

“Let's just stay here,” Julie said hoping he would agree. AJ had been found and there was no immediate rush to try to find information to locate him. She didn't care about searching for Nick, someone else should do that anyway especially since he still held a grudge against Kevin and thought Julie was dead.

She cold feel Kevin kissing her shoulders and neck. “Yes, I like that idea.” His kisses continue as his had cupped her breast, squeezing her nipple gently. A small moan escaped her lips as she pressed closer to him. Yearning to see him she rolled over and pulled him to her. She ran her nails gently down his back causing him to shiver.

Kevin pushed away and held himself up over her. “Julie, I love you,” he said holding eye contact with her, a smile playing on his lips.

“I love you, too,” she answered. It felt good to finally be able to admit it. She'd known for so long but now being here with him confirmed it even more. Kevin's smile grew wider and he started kissing her again, moving down to her stomach. He kissed her gently and moved to where the skin was healing from Nick's knife. He kissed all around the wound and moved back up taking her mouth with his.

He broke away and looked at her again. “I am sorry that I was the reason you...” Julie stopped his words by pulling him closer and kissing him.

“It's not your fault,” She replied and kissed him again. Their kisses intensified and soon Julie moved her legs allowing him to enter her. He started out slow but when she arched closer to him his desire for her took over. She pressed her mouth to his as she felt him release and held him tight when he collapsed over her.

Julie kissed him as he moved to lie next to her, his fingers lightly running up and down her arm. “Kevin?” she started.

“Yes?”

“When did you know?” She turned on her side to face him, leaning on her elbow.

“Mmmmm,” he rubbed his chin, a playful smirk on his face, as he pondered her question. “When I got that letter from you, I knew you were something special then. But my duty to return you overpowered anything I might have felt. When you showed up in The Library asking about the rogue volunteer, I think that's when I let myself realize that I loved you.”

She playfully squeezed his arm and snuggled closer to him. It was just after that she was asked to work with them in an attempt to get closer to Nick. She remembered the look Kevin gave her, she realized now he didn't want her to lose her memories of him, it was that look that got her to agree.

“What about you?” Kevin broke the brief silence. “I acted like a jerk trying to keep my feelings under wraps, how did you fall in love with me?”

Julie smiled when she remembered the gentleness of his touch after she recovered from the injection; she remembered the look in his eyes as she watched her. It was then she realized the affection she felt for him as well. Then she came back and thought she'd never see him again but when she did she still felt the same even when he argued with her and was a jerk. She couldn't tell him about the future Kevin though, she promised she wouldn't. “It was about the same time. When I saw you in The Library.” She left it at that, she hoped he wouldn't want specifics that she couldn't give.

“I can't help but keep thinking about what Nick was saying about changing history, making things better,” Julie spoke meekly afraid that if she spoke too loudly about the subject it would break the mood and things would be over as quickly as they came together.

“We don't know the impact the smallest changes in history could do to the outcome of the rest of the world. Sure it might be for the better, but what if it lead to something worse?” Kevin stroked her head, and even though she just woke up, Julie found herself drifting off again.

“And I know this, but when I think about being a witness to some of these horrific events in history, I can see why Zoe and Nick and the others would want to change things, to make them better.” Julie thought about her first jump, the horrors she saw and why she didn't like to talk about them. If it hadn't been such a traumatic time she might have talked about it and she would have been returned already. All those innocent Native American women and children of all ages cut down and mutilated in revenge for something a rogue group of Native Americans had committed. Remembering what she saw caused her to shudder, Kevin misreading thought she was cold and pulled the covers tighter around them.

Kevin kissed the top of her head and rubbed her back through the covers. “When you are ready to talk to me, I'll be here.” He whispered before kissing her head again.

Julie wiped away a few tears that had begun to fall and turned her thoughts to the present situation. She sat up suddenly remembering what she had brought back with her besides AJ. She threw the covers off of her and proceeded to find a pair of jeans and a t-shirt to throw on over her undergarments. “While AJ and I were on the move, AJ decided to stop and grab some papers that might show what Nick and the others have planned. I grabbed them to give to Brian and ultimately you before I left.” She thew Kevin's clothes to him and then started to throw other items around her room trying to figure out where she left the papers.

“They were talking too, someone said something about Nick being gone and they only mentioned Germany.” Julie found a piece of paper from the camp but it only looked to be a list of items the group might be in need of.

“Germany? Are you sure?” Kevin stood suddenly very energized.

Julie nodded. She remembered that perfectly, it was the only thing any of them said that mentioned anything they were doing. Nick was in Germany. “Why? What do you know?”

“Zoe, her family is Jewish.” He moved around the room and started to help her search for the paperwork. “We've always known he would make a move like this but we never knew when he would make his move.”

“I found this.” Julie handed over a piece of paper, there was only one word on the page, she was sure it wasn't anything. 'Pasewalk' was all she saw.

Kevin looked at the page and grabbed Julie, and hugged her tightly. “This is perfect.”

“What?” She asked running after him as he charged up the stairs into the main part of The Library. She followed him as he made his way into the stacks and grabbed a few books throwing them on the table.

He opened a few pages of one book and found what he was looking for almost immediately. “The hospital Hitler recovered his eyesight from a mustard gas attack was in Pasewalk. He was hospitalized when the first World War ended. He was vocal then about how he felt the Jews were to blame. It's this time that he formed is ideology. The doctor that cured his sight, there was nothing physically wrong with him, he gave Hitler the idea that he was special to God, that he had a power inside of him. It worked to bring his eyesight back but it also created the man who thought that it was his mission to root out those he felt stabbed the country in the back.” Kevin looked up at her and smiled, she was staring at him in shock.

“All volunteers have to know how to research Julie, it shouldn't be that shocking I can research.” His eyes crinkled as he smiled at her.

“So what would he be doing there? Changing his ideology or just killing him?” Julie pondered. Killing him would be the easy thing to do, but if he could change how Hitler thought he could shape Germany differently. There was no denying Hitler's skill as an orator perhaps Nick only wanted to change the way he thought and felt.

Kevin shrugged. “Who cares, we know where he will be and we can stop him.” He looked at the device on his wrist and sighed. Julie could see his desire to leave, to jump after the rogue.

“What's wrong?” She asked.

“I don't know if Brian returned. I can't leave.” He shrugged and started to move back downstairs. “I'm going to look for him, are you coming?” He held his hand out to her and they walked side by side downstairs and towards Brian's room.

Julie was the one to knock, a sleepy Brian answered rubbing his head. “What?” He asked them.

“Thanks,” Julie muttered.

Brian shook his head, but Kevin seemingly did not notice this exchange, he was already talking about what they had discovered.

“We are going after Nick, we discovered a likely place he will be and we are heading back to get prepared. I just wanted to make sure you were here before we left.” Kevin patted his cousin's shoulder then turned to leave.

“What happened?” Julie asked, remaining in the doorway.

Brian shrugged, “nothing more than what I am already doing. Working here, watching over Charles and being the librarian.”

“Come with us,” Julie spoke quickly. “You should come, help us stop Nick.”

Brian shook his head. “If it doesn't work out, I'd be out. Charles said so.”

Julie hugged Brian, startling the other man and when she pulled away she whispered quickly. “We are going to nineteen eighteen Germany a place called Pasewalk. If we don't come back or if you decide to join us, you'll know.” She smiled at him one last time and moved to catch up with Kevin. They held hands as Kevin dialed the device to take them to twenty-thirty.

Chapter 36 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Guten Tag Fraulein

The warmth of Kevin's hand in hers was not enough to battle the chill her legs were feeling as they walked through the streets of Pasewalk. It wasn't that she underestimated what the weather was going to be like in early November Germany, but the stockings that covered her legs could not fight the chill in the wind. She hoped her legs would become numb soon so she could ignore the cold.

She moved closer to Kevin and internally sighed as he put his arm around her shoulder, holding her close. He looked down at her and smiled; kissing the top of her head before he turned his attention back on the road they were walking down.

Julie was somewhat surprised that Kevin was acting this way with her now, before they had jumped they had argued. Kevin wanted Julie to stay, didn't want her getting injured more. She didn't have to argue much to get him to change his mind. She felt it was probably because he wanted to be near her like she wanted to be near him. Kevin had seemed fine with her going with him to twenty-thirty but as they got ready it had sunk in with him what exactly they were doing and he did not like it one bit. Howie even agreed with her, said her wound looked fine and that she could be an asset to the mission. Nick thought she was dead, it might come as an advantage. Kevin reluctantly agreed.

Julie could feel the gun rub her thigh even though it was strapped securely into the belt. Kevin had gone against Howie's concerns and insisted that she carry the pistol. Her device and a few other items were nestled near the gun, she lost it too many times to keep it on her wrist as Kevin did.

She closed her eyes briefly and let herself think that she and Kevin were simply out for a stroll on a chilly afternoon versus hunting down the man who wanted them dead, the man that thought it was okay to change history. They had already been in Pasewalk for a few days. Since they did not know the exact date Nick would choose, they only hoped that it wasn't too late.

“There he is,” Kevin's voice brought her back to the present, the reason for their trip, Nick. She looked in the direction he was indicating and saw Nick walking quickly down the street. Had he already seen them?

“Did he see us?” She asked, she hadn't been looking and she hoped Kevin noticed.

“I don't think so,” He pulled her towards the direction Nick went and picked up his pace slightly. “We need to be quick, but not give the appearance that we are following.”

Julie picked up her pace, but she still felt like she was jogging to keep up. Two of her steps equaled one of Kevin's.

“Shit,” Julie cursed as she realized the heel of her shoe broke. “Kevin keep following him, I have to stop for a minute.” She watched as Kevin picked his pace up to keep up with Nick.

“Dammit,” Julie cursed again as she pulled off her shoe and looked at it. Sighing she looked around, she wasn't sure how she would replace the shoes, perhaps she could find a store that sold shoes. She remembered to bring some German currency from the early twentieth century with her.

Before Julie could walk towards any of the buildings she felt herself being pulled backwards down the alley nearby.

“I can't believe it,” Steph's cold voice came from behind, sending shivers down her spine. She quickly turned around to face Nick's female counterpart.

“I always knew you were still alive but Nick wouldn't believe me. No worries though, I will kill you now and take your lifeless body to him to show him you are really dead this time.” She grabbed Julie's wrist and pulled out a knife. Julie wrenched her arm free and did the only thing she could think, she threw her shoe at her.

The shoe hit Steph on the side of her head, Julie used this time to start running back down the alley that she had been drug down. Steph was faster than Julie anticipated. Before she could make it out of the alley, the other woman grabbed the knot of hair on the back of Julie's head and pulled her to the ground.

Steph placed her foot on Julie's chest and pressed down. “Stay down,” she smirked.

Before she knew what was happening, Steph was falling to the ground. Julie had managed to grab her foot and pull her down. Julie noticed the other woman's head hit the ground pretty hard but it still didn't stop her. STeph was on her feet all too soon for Julie's liking.

As Steph approached, Julie took the opportunity to punch the woman's gut. It was a weak hit, Julie knew it as soon as her fist collided.

“Is that all you got?” Steph laughed at her, overconfident in her abilities. Julie took this moment to knock Steph's hand away, knocking the knife out of her hand.

Steph charged Julie again, with no weapon, she attempted to hit Julie with her fists. She was just as skilled as Julie fighting and the punches, though they hurt, were not enough to render Julie incapacitated. Steph did, however, manage to back Julie up against a wall.

Julie grabbed hold of Steph's hair and attempted to pull her away, but it did nothing. Julie really needed to learn how to fight if she made it through this. Steph managed to kick her foot up into Julie's stomach, knocking the wind out of her. Julie collapsed to the ground unable to take in any air. She felt terrified as she opened her mouth in a vain attempt to pull oxygen into her lungs again.

She watched as Steph sauntered over to where the knife was laying and pick it up. Julie watched the other woman approach her, slowly her lungs started to fill with air but she still felt like she was struggling to breath. As she relaxed, more air filled her lungs and her fingers groped around behind her looking for something, anything. Finally, they wrapped around something cold and round.

Steph had reached Julie before her breath finally recovered. Steph had hold of her hair again, pulling it back to reveal her neck. Julie kept her eyes on the other woman, hoping she would move just a little closer before jamming the knife into her.

Julie smirked as Steph put her face right above hers with her own taunting smirk. “Nick is going to reward me for this,” She hissed.

“Doubtful,” Julie retorted as she swung whatever it was she had at Steph's face. Steph reeled backwards and stumbled to the ground. Her free hand covering her face, the other hand still clutching the knife. Julie looked in her hands, a crowbar, how lucky for her.

“Bitch,” Steph spat as she attempted to stand. Julie didn't give her much of a chance as she brought the crowbar down on the hand clutching the knife. Julie was pretty sure she heard something crack in Steph's wrist as she dropped the knife and pulled her injured hand closer. Julie quickly kicked the knife away then, as indecent as it probably looked, she shoved her hand up her dress and into the belt on her thigh pulling out a pair of handcuffs.

She smiled to herself as she remembered Kevin giving her a hard time for deciding to bring a pair of handcuffs.

“Do you expect to read him his Miranda Rights too?” Kevin had asked her in a playful tone.

Grabbing the hand Steph still had covering her face, Julie did her best to pull her towards a pipe attached to the building. She had no idea what it was, she was just glad it was there. Slapping the cuffs on Steph she took a step back to assess the damage to her opponent.

Steph's cheek was developing a bruise quickly and her eye was swollen shut. Blood was coming out of the corner of her mouth, probably from a missing tooth. The woman cradled her free hand in her lap and Julie noticed that she was unable to move that one at all.

“I'm sorry, but you gave me no choice,” Julie remarked. “I'll come back for you after we have Nick and we will take you back with us.”

Steph ignored her and averted her face from Julie.

Julie turned to walk away noting now that she was only wearing one shoe. She looked at Steph's feet and wondered what size she wore.

Julie emerged from the alleyway a short time later, a brand new pair of shoes on her feet. She looked up and down the street trying to remember the direction Kevin was moving in last. Figuring out the direction he went in, Julie moved in that direction off to find Kevin and ultimately, Nick.

Chapter 37 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

The final showdown...

It didn't take Julie nearly as long to catch up to Kevin as she had thought it would. He had stopped outside a building and was looking into a window. Julie took her time approaching him, if Nick was near and possibly watching, she didn't want to draw any attention to Kevin or herself.

“Hello,” she said as she finally reached him. She turned to face the window that he was looking in as well. It was a clothing store displaying women's clothing. She stood next to him, clutching the side with the knife wound. The altercation with Steph brought back the pain, she hoped that it hadn't ripped the wound open again. She moved her hand before Kevin could question why she was holding her side.

Kevin turned and tilted his hat towards her and started to walk away without saying anything. Julie scrunched her face slightly confused until she looked back in the window. Nick was standing across the way talking to a few soldiers, dressed as a German soldier himself. Did Nick know German? She knew from her time in Rome that he knew Latin already. Just how many languages did this man know?

She stood looking in the window pretending to be interested in the outfit being displayed but really she was watching Nick. He was motioning to the building behind him and the soldiers, Julie could only guess that this was the hospital that Hitler was currently recovering at.

The soldiers were shaking their heads and she could hear them telling Nick “Nein”. Even if they weren't shaking their heads, she at least knew that word, “No” they were telling him. She smirked to herself as she saw Nick slump off defeated for now. She wasn't worried about him doing anything to Hitler, she was worried for the doctor that cured him. If Nick had wanted to get rid of Hitler he would have done something to him as he grew up in Austria. She felt he had chosen this place in time simply because of how the doctor had cured his eyesight.

She turned from the window and started to stroll in the direction Nick was rushing off in. She saw Kevin several feet in front of her also following Nick, he would reach Nick much sooner than she would, especially since the shoes she took from Steph were a size too small and really starting to pinch her feet.

As she neared Kevin, she saw him motion for her to keep back so she slowed up her pace. She could hear their voices as she got closer, they were definitely arguing. Trying to keep out of sight, she ducked behind a wall, Kevin could see her but Nick could not.

“You just couldn't stand to see me happy. You had to be the good little volunteer and do your job and return her. Did you know what you were doing when you returned her to soon, killing her? Was it planned to return her that way, you and Charles planning to ruin my life?” Nick was saying.

“I take full blame for when I returned her Nick. It was an accident, I was overconfident when I returned her. I have to live with my mistake for the rest of my life.” Kevin had his hands out to Nick, walking towards him slowly.

“Good thing that won't be for much longer,” Julie heard Nick say. Curious as to what he was referring, she chanced it and peaked around the corner gasping when she saw a gun pointed straight at Kevin. Her palms were sweating and she wanted to rush out from behind the wall but she knew Kevin would never forgive her for running into danger. She watched as Kevin held his arms up in surrender but still made small movements towards him.

“Nick, I have to know before you shoot me. How did you know about my feelings towards Julie? I had only just acknowledged them myself that day you sent her to Rome.” Kevin asked. Julie held her breath as she waited for Nick's answer, she wanted to know too.

“You volunteers and your rules about not visiting the future. I manipulated my device but I still went by the rule not to visit the future. That was until you killed Zoe,” Nick snarled at Kevin but he remained calm. “I had to see if I ever got her back, if I ever figured out a way to save her.”

Julie noticed Nick move the gun down slightly, he wasn't focusing on aiming the gun at Kevin anymore, he was telling his story.

“I saw you there with her. You were smiling and laughing with her. You looked as happy as I had been with Zoe. It didn't take me long to find out her name. Found some more information on her and then acted. You should have seen her face the first time I met her.” Nick was laughing at his memory. “She had a good reaction though, slamming on her brakes.” His hand moved towards his forehead where he had collided with the seat in memory. But if that was the first day he'd met her, what about the day she'd met him first?
“Kevin, you will never understand the pleasure I got from that woman being with her. Knowing that I would have her before you or that I would have her and you would never feel her body the way I had.”

She could see anger starting to show on Kevin's face, though he still appeared calm standing in front of Nick with his hands up. Julie noticed he was closer, he'd been moving closer the entire time Nick had been talking.

“How does it feel to lose someone you loved but could never show that love to?” Nick spat the words out and aimed the gun back at Kevin again as if he was now aware of what Kevin was trying to do by letting him keep talking.

It was then that Kevin made his move. Quickly he swung his arm forward, colliding with the arm that was holding the gun. Julie heard the clank of metal as it landed, the gun was now on the ground. She watched as the two men began to fight. Kevin had definitely been trained to fight, he managed to evade Nick and to throw punches that actually looked as if they did some damage. He even managed to rip Nick's device off of his wrist.

“You really expect to win in a fight with me?” Nick laughed. “You trained me.”

Julie groaned to herself as she watched the two men throwing punches and evading others. Eventually Nick, tired from the dance, charged Kevin and knocked him to the ground. He sat on top of Kevin and pummeled him with punches to his face. Finally, Kevin managed to use the rest of his body and throw the younger man off of him.

Kevin struggled to stand, Nick stood fairly quickly grasping the shoulder that had struck the ground. Julie's eyes were drawn to Kevin, he needed help, surely he could not fault her now. She leaned up against the wall and reached into her belt and pulled her pistol out.

The sound of gunfire made her jump and almost drop the gun she was holding. She turned her attention back to Kevin, he was down on the ground, unmoving. Nick was standing over his body pulling his device off of his wrist.

“No!” Julie shouted as she moved from her spot, aiming the gun at Nick.

“What?” Nick looked at her shocked. “You, you can't have lived.”

“Surprise,” She shouted. “Drop your gun, I'm taking you back to the project.”

Nick smirked and started to program his device. He finished and looked back at her. “I'll be seeing you,” he said as he hit the button.

As he started to disappear, Julie fired the gun at him, noticing that he crumpled as the bullet hit him before he completely disappeared.

“Shit,” She cursed before dropping her gun and running to Kevin's side. “Kevin?” She questioned wondering if he was still alive.

He groaned at the sound of his name and Julie smiled. She pulled her device out of her belt and pulled Kevin into her lap, holding him tightly as she pushed the button to return to twenty-thirty.

“Help!” she called out as they reappeared.

“What happened?” Howie asked, it was luck that he was nearby when they returned.

“Nick shot him,” Julie looked down at his wound, blood was steadily coming out.

She heard Howie calling out to other people but she couldn't hear the words he was saying, she was busy looking at Kevin.

“Stay with me, Kevin.” she cradled his head close to her. His breathing was slowing, she was losing him. When she felt people trying to move her away from Kevin she fought them. “No,” she called out as she was separated.

“Julie,” Erika was kneeling in front of her, Kevin was being put onto a gurney and being wheeled away. “Julie,” Erika repeated.

Julie moved her eyes away from Kevin's body and back to Erika. “Where are they taking him?” her heart froze in fear. What if he was already gone and they were taking him to the morgue to perform an autopsy. She tried to push past Erika, she needed to be with Kevin.

“Julie,” Erika said loudly and held her in place. “Look at me.” she commanded.

Julie found her eyes looking at the other woman in front of her.

“He's still alive, barely. They are taking him to the operating room, Howie is going to try to remove the bullet.”

Julie looked after Kevin, she still wanted to be with him. She felt she had to be with him.

“Howie wants me to take a look at your wound and see if you are okay still.” Erika helped her walk to another room where she looked at the wound. She was bleeding slightly and would need to have some new stitches, but she could wait. Erika let her go after she cleaned it, telling her where the operating room was located.

Julie removed the shoes that were pinching her feet and ran to the room Erika told her about. AJ was standing outside already, his face sullen. There were no windows so Julie couldn't look in to see what was going on. Tears fell freely from her eyes as she crumpled to the ground, the sound of the heart monitor flat lining was the only sound she heard from behind the doors.

End Notes:

I am simply a messenger for my muse....

Epilogue by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

*sniff*

The day was gray and wet, if there was such a thing as a perfect day for a funeral this would be that day. She stood next to the casket holding the single red rose that she planned to place on top of the casket as it was lowered into the ground. The tears fell freely from her eyes as she stared at the black box, she was unable to look anywhere else, at anyone else. She felt them around her, they pitied her, but she would not, could not, look at them.

Her heart was breaking as she stood there, she felt that at any moment her legs were going to give out on her and she was going to fall to the ground. She had prepared herself for this day, had spent all day yesterday locked in her room with her memories. She had been determined to be strong, to keep her tears inside but when the service began she could not control her emotions.

As the casket was lowered into the ground, she watched the other feet walk by and drop their flowers off on the casket, saying their final good-byes. She stood until the end, until the others were gone and the casket was completely in the ground. She didn't want to say her final good-bye.

She heard a voice near her speaking, “We haven't seen any activity from Nick in the last week. When we questioned Steph, she gave us the times of all their camps. The camps were all vacated by the time we got there but at one we found a massive amount of blood. We tested it and it was Nick's. No one could have lived after losing that much blood. Nick is gone for good.”

The words were for her, but she couldn't listen to talk about Nick right now. She didn't want to think about him right now, he didn't belong as part of this day. She was glad he was gone, but she did not want to be reminded of him, not today.

“I hate to bring this up today, but I feel you should know. Steph somehow managed to get away. We think she had another device hidden on her body. You should be careful, she probably wants revenge.”

Julie nodded at this. Of course Steph got away, she expected the woman wouldn't stay captive for long. In fact she was amazed she hadn't escaped the handcuffs prior to AJ and Erika being dispatched to retrieve her. The project was already forming teams to find the members of Nick's group, to bring them in, to fix what they had changed.

Julie took a deep breath deciding it was time to say her final good-byes. She walked to the edge of the grave crouched down next to the grave.

“I love you, I will always love you. Thank you for being in my life,” Julie held her rose out and dropped it into the grave, she watched it fall into the pile with the others. Tears she thought she'd been done crying came back fresh.

Out of the corner of her eye she noticed a pair of patent leather dress shoes and a hand reaching down to her to help her up. She took the hand in hers and stood back up burrowing her face in Good Samaritan's chest. Hands smoothed her hair as the person comforted her.

She looked up into the green eyes of the man holding her. His face was still bruised and battered from Nick pummeling him but the softness of his eyes comforted her. He stood next to holding her and leaning heavily on a cane.

“We should get you back Kevin, Howie is having a fit you insisted on coming with me,” She hugged him gently again as they started to walk towards the cars waiting nearby. She felt him leaning on her, though it was because he was still recovering from the bullet wound. He had flat lined that day but Howie never stopped believing his friend could pull through as he did everything to get his heart beating again.

Julie turned back to look at the grave one last time. “Good bye Mom,” She whispered and then turned back to resume walking.

They reached the cars and carefully climbed inside. When they were moving, Julie looked at those who supported her by coming that day, friends she had made due to that horrible accident that she thought was the end of her life. She'd even helped them stop the main rogue volunteer, put an end to Nick and his recruiting. Now she would be returning to twenty-thirty with her volunteer and her love, Kevin and her new friends. She had decided, this was her new life.

End Notes:

*muah* I love all of my readers and my reviewers. Thank you for sticking with me and all my crazy twists and turns. I hope you thouroghly enjoyed the story. :)

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10653